Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Into Unknown Shadows

Game Master Mowque


2,051 to 2,100 of 2,259 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>

Shalina bows slightly tot he crazed man. Normally it would be a bit more involved, but losing eye contact with a dangerous man is unwise.

The man ignores her question and turns to one of the bodies, wedged upright. 'Stand straight, soldier!' he barks, slapping the figure hard before turning back.

'I will ask one more time, who are you and why have you violated the inner sanctum of the Ruby Prince? He and the rest of the royal family rests within and I was not told to expect visitors. Intruders are not welcome here."


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Apparently Shalina's introduction either wasn't long enough or never registered with the crazy man. She tries again. "My name is Shalina Sekh-at, citizen of Wati...um...defender of Rappan and I seek an audience with the Ruby Prince regarding the Unholy First. You wouldn't have been told to expect visitors as this assembly was arranged only recently. And as you know, the Dome itself keeps out intruders so the fact that we are here suggests that we are not interlopers."


The man pauses then says, voice sharp and strained, 'I was not told of this! Do you think you are the first courtiers to try and gain a secret meeting with the Prince? The first who sought to bypass the guards to ask for some unsolicited favor? Be gone with you!"

Tekk eyes the man and whispers, 'What if the Prince is being held captive by this man?"


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Shalina whispers back, "Anything is possible. Let's hope it is only captivity and not something worse."

The bard looks puzzled at the man's rebuff. "But I followed protocol and I went through all the proper channels in order to gain an audience with the Ruby Prince. This is of the utmost importance for the good of Osirion. Surely you are enough protection for the Ruby Prince and his family if you were to accompany us as we speak with him?"


"Enough of this." he growls then turns to one of the dead men. 'Guard! Eject this woman and her friend." A moment passes and the man screams, 'Are you refusing a direct order!"

A longer pause then, 'Very well. I will do it myself." the crazed man turns to the side and picks up a heavy longbow leaning against the wall. 'I do not treat trespassers kindly." And he starts to raise the bow.

Roll Initiative. Nice try talking to him but I think he is a bit too mad to deal with things right now.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

I figured it was a lost cause but I had to try.

initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

You are up


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Shalina sighs resignedly, "He's beyond reason, I'm afraid."

Her natural speed and dexterity allows her to get a leg-up on the Master of the Risen Guard. She manages to get one shot off with her heavy crossbow before ducking behind one of the pillars for added cover.

+2heavy crossbow: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32
damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Please feel free to move yourself on the map. You should be able to. The link is above

Shalina gets off a shot with her heavy crossbow, the weight feeling good in her hands. The bolt hits and Shalina just sees it grazing his shoulder as ducks behind a pillar. Following her lead Tekk does the same with another pillar.

'What is the plan?" Tekk shouts, [b]'We close or keep our distance?[/ooc]

Tekk has no ranged weapons, so that is his turn

Shalina can't hear the Risen Guard man moving, but she assumes he is closing in.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

"Since when do we ever keep our distance?" Switching out her crossbow for her glaive, she peeks around the corner of the pillar to make sure it was clear before moving to engage. She moves quickly, making a beeline for the crazy man.

I don't think she can reach him this round to hit him but if I'm mistaken, let me know and I'll roll to hit.


You can move 30 feet in a round. If you want, you can run (which means you could move three times your distance, but you wouldn't be able to attack at the end of it. Moving normally you can't get to him, if you run you can get close. Up to you


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

She'll just move the normal 30ft. If she runs to him, it makes it easier for him to attack her next round. Each square on the map is 5ft, correct? Remind me whether moving diagonally is still only 5ft or does it count as 10ft?


On the map, you should see a toolbar in the upper left hand corner? One of them is a ruler. You can use that to calculate distances. Very helpful!


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Alright, I moved her 30ft. Thanks for the tip - it was very helpful :)


As Shalina breaks cover, she spots the Guard standing upright and tall, the longbow in his hands. His smile is blissful, serene. A man at peace with what he is, doing what he is trained.

"My name is Ramen Sah, and in the name of the Risen Guard, you die."

His prepared action as you come into view

He lets loose a long, red tipped arrow.

Longbow: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Shaila ducks the arrow, with nearly superhuman quickness.

Ramen Sah grins and with hands like a blur he draws and fires another arrow.

Longbow: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Again Shalina sees it coming and dodges slightly, and she hears the arrow slap against the marble floor. The guard starts to laugh, a deep throated, man laugh, and he manages to draw yet another arrow as Shalina runs toward him.

Longbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

This time he just misses, and Shalina can hear the arrow fly past her ear. His grin never wavers and he says, "Only a trained assassin would be so skillful. Finally, a challenge."

Tekk also breaks cover, but he is slow in his armor and doesn't get very far. Ramen Sah just ignores the paladin, or so it seems to Shalina.

His turn

He stares at Shalina, and she can see his eyes are bloodshot, with heavy bags under them. This is a man who has not slept in many days.

He draws back the bow and lets loose another volley of arrows.

Longbow: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21
Longbow: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Longbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Th first arrows hits Shalina's new armor, but the mithril turns the arrow. The others sail past her harmlessly. With a grave face, smile gone, Ramen Sha puts the bow away and raises his shining glaive.

"Come then, we settle this as warriors."

You are up


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Three attacks?!? She's gonna get slaughtered

Shalina is already committed to her course of action but she couldn't help thinking that if this man got some sleep and some food in him that this would have a different outcome. "I think you'd benefit more from sleep but if you insist, we meet as warriors."

Even though her heart isn't really in it, Shalina makes the most of her blade and slices at the man because she knows he won't hesitate to gut her. After all, he was most likely responsible for what had happened to the other members of the Risen Guard.

MWglaive,archy luck: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 13 + 2 = 29
damage: 1d10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 2 = 5
MWglaive,archy luck: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 8 + 2 = 22
damage: 1d10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 + 2 = 14


Hey, this is the leader of the elite guard. Besides, you still have rage and a few spells left. I assume you move closer to get in range? He also has a ranged weapon too, btw. A shiny glaive....

Shalina's first blow catches him by surprise, obviously not expected a strike that strong by a woman. It catches him in the leg, punching through his armor and leaving a dark bloody hole. He dodges the second strike, moving faster then she thought possible. A lifetime of training is revealed in that single, quick dodge.

Besides her she can see Tekk running up. As he runs in range with his sword, the Risen Guard member lashes out with his glaive, at the intruding man.

AoO: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20

I can't roll very well with this guy...

Tekk rolls under the glaive, surprisingly dexterous in his heavy armor. Ramen Sah's eyes widen as he sees the burned holy symbol on Tekk's chest and shakes his head, "A dark day when a follower of the old gods turns on his master."

Tekk doesn't answer with words, only steel.

Longsword: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

The heavy blow slices at the man's back, who is just a second too slow to dodge the whistling blade. Blood starts to run, coating his armor. The man grunts and falls into a fighting stance.

He turns from Tekk and back to Shalina, eyes fixed. In his hands suddenly the glaive moves with a blur unlike anything she has ever seen. It makes her own savage attacks look like a toddler's blows.

Glaive: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (8) + 19 = 27
Vital Strike Damage: 3d10 + 9 ⇒ (6, 9, 6) + 9 = 30

It hits Shalina in the chest, a sudden sharp stab on pain exploding in her ribs. The armor takes the brunt of the damage but the bard still feels poleaxed and feels a gout of blood coat her skin under her armor.

Ramen Sah grins and then withdraws, trying to move back and prevent them from flanking him. Whatever his madness, his battle skills are still sharp. As he moves both Tekk and Shalina slash at him.

Tekk AoO: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23
Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Shalina AoO plus Luck: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 13 + 2 = 22

Tekk's warrior instincts kick in and he lands his blow. Shalina can see where the guardsman seems a bit slower, a bit more unsteady from Tekk's repeated hammerings. Shalina's blow misses, just a second too slow.

Ramen Sah backs up next to a corpse and turns to it, 'Guardsman, defend your leader!" the corpse does nothing except stare emptily.

You are up


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Ouch

Shalina's wound confirms for her that this man wasn't going to back down and if she doesn't take him seriously, she'd soon be dead. The pain fuels her anger and it bubbles over in the form of acid as her rage takes over.

MWglaive,elemental rage, archy luck: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 15 + 2 = 36
damage: 1d10 + 4 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + (4) + 2 = 18
MWglaive,elemental rage, archy luck: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 2 = 28
damage: 1d10 + 4 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (1) + 2 = 10

She may not be as quick as the man who had way more years of training than she did, but both slashes cut deeply leaving a trail of acid to burn flesh and corrode armor.

Sadly he'll now hit her regardless of what he rolls...


Also, I made a mistake. He has an ability that makes him better at dodging AoOs. Tekk's last attack there actually missed.

Shalina's rage fueled blows to the man are grievous and she can see through bubbling blood and slashed tendons to broken muscles and cracked bones. Although he still holds himself upright, this is a heavily wounded man.

Tekk sees the chance as well and moves up with her, again risking a blow as he closes.

AoO: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38
Damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

He lands a blow but Tekk mostly shrugs off the pain. Eyes wide Ramen Sah says, voice wavering, 'I will not fail my charge..." The smile is gone, replaced by a haggard look of desperation.

Tekk Attack: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29
Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Tekk's blow hits the slightly wavering man strongly across the chest, cutting right through the shining armor, spattering it with blood. Grimly Tekk raises his sword into a guard position.

But the Risen Guarded leader, seeing the end is near and yet refusing to give up the doorway, turns on Shalina and unleashes a flurry of attacks.

As he attacks he shouts, tears in his eyes, 'Guards! Why...why have you abandoned me?" His voice is cracking in despair and anger, "We must not fail...we must protect...oaths you have taken..."

Glaive: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39
Glaive Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38

Damage: 2d10 + 9 ⇒ (7, 3) + 9 = 19

Glaive: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

Damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Glaive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

The blows are thick and fast, high then low. Twice they slash right into her body, sliding right past her best defenses. She is reminded while a gifted amateur, she is a amateur nonetheless. Here is a trained warrior.

If he was sane, well-rested and backed by other guards, this would have been a potent guard indeed. The Pharaoh had been well-guarded but it had availed him not.

You took 30 Damage.

As Shalina remains standing she can see the first inkling's of defeat enter the man's eyes, as he realizes he is beaten. The bard watches him steel himself for the final blow, his last thoughts those of failure and defeat.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Is there any way that his sanity can be restored or is he too far gone? It's a shame to actually kill him but if he'll continue to be a threat then she will.


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Shalina looks hard at the Risen Guard, standing proudly before the door of his lord. Beaten, bent but not broken. Abandoned by all, clinging to his last duty, a duty that consumed his entire adult life. Ramen Sah is not afraid to die for the Pharaoh, he only regrets nothing will be gained for his life. Regrets having failed at the last.

His mind is his own, even cracked and mad as he is. It is not the song of the Spawn that drives him to this, but the death of all that he has known.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Shalina hesitates, not believing the Risen Guard to be consumed by evil. She tries one last time, "I do not want to take your life. You can still have purpose if you help us rather than fighting us. We were looking for help from the Ruby Prince and the Risen Guard. We never wished any of you harm."

She knows that she is taking a risk because she is badly hurt and can't take much more. She realizes that giving this man a second chance could cost her her life but she can't take his life if his actions aren't driven by evil. Even as she speaks, she keeps her weapon at the ready, prepared to do what is necessary should he fail to see her sincerity.


For a second she thinks she cuts through the despair, the desperation, the madness. The dark eyes clear and words start to form. Then his sight falls on her still upright weapon. The face grows hard, taut again.

'So you lack the courage to finish? A strange assassin. Let me help you make up your mind!"

He lunges at Shalina with a sudden, breath-taking speed.

AoO: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
Damage: 1d10 + 4 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + (3) + 2 = 14

More by luck then skill (or perhaps the Gods?), her glaive is in the right place at the right time. Ramen Sah impales himself on her glaive, the bright point slicing through his body and erupting in a gout of blood out his back. A bubbling,g urling moan escapes his suddenly blood filled mouth.

With force that shocks Shalina he wrenches and twists, the force snapping her own glaive in two. Holding only the shaft, Shalina watches the Risen Guard topped backward, falling to the cold marble floor.

'My lord...I have...failed...you..." he gurgles, thrashes, then dies, his own shining weapons falling from his grasp. The insane light leaves his eyes and his chest sinks.

Silently, Tekk kneels over the fallen warrior in a sign of deep respect and sorrow.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Shalina stands stunned and in shock. She was almost certain she had finally found the right words only to have him die on her blade. She feels like her blade symbolizes her spirit, broken under the weight of despair. Unbeknownst to her, tears silently streak down her face. "So unnecessary..." she whispers.

Then she realizes that her cheeks are wet and she wipes at them furiously, feeling that somehow the dead man may sit up and chide her for being weak as well as lacking courage. However his grievous wounds tell her otherwise and in that moment she sinks to her knees in utter exhaustion, his death a stab to her heart. Her voice is filled with woe when she speaks, "I don't know how...Tekk, I'm tired."


Tekk finishes a quiet prayer over the dead man, then looks over at her. "There are worse ways to die, then doing on's duty with honor and skill." Then he sits down as well, leaning against the thick stone wall, "And to be perfectly fair Shalina, he did try to kill us. And got very close to doing so. How badly are you hurt?" Then he looks at her and sees the extent of her rather grievous wounds.

"Perhaps he can serve us yet." Carefully and with as much respect as possible, he goes through the man's things.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

"Yes, he did try to kill us but he wasn't evil. I had hoped his mind wasn't too badly fractured but I was wrong."

As Tekk searches the fallen man, Shalina hums and touches the worst of her wounds. But she's still reluctant to get to her feet. "We should probably check on who he was protecting. Hopefully they're alright but we won't know until we open that door."

Will cast CMW on herself

CMW: 2d8 + 9 ⇒ (7, 5) + 9 = 21

She held up the shaft of her broken weapon. "Do you think he'd mind if I borrowed his weapon? He did break mine after all."


Tekk pulls out a potion of cure light wounds, potion of expeditious retreat, a ring of protection +1, and then looks at the fallen glaive.

"I think if he had been in his right mind, he would have been a potent ally. He would want you to have it." Carefully he places the glaive in Shalina's hands.

It is a +2 glaive


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

+2 glaive, thank you!

Shalina examines the beautifully made glaive and hums over it to see if there was anything special about it.

Casting detect magic. Does anything else flag as magic in the room that we previously didn't know about?

"Hopefully I can do it justice when I use it. He was a much better warrior than I."

Shalina looks at the door which the man had given his life for. "Shall we see what's behind the door?"


Tekk nods and Shalina approaches the door. Carved of dark, exotic wood and inlaid with ruby gems, it looks very old and very expensive. It is unlocked and opens at a slight touch.

It leads them into a fine apartment, complete with fountains (now dry) and plants (withered and brown). The floor is encrusted with shining emeralds, rubies and diamonds, set among giant slabs of perfect marble. the ceiling is adorned with bright red silk, giving Shalina the feeling of being in a tent or pavilion.

She see no signs of life as they proceed in. They round a corner and enter a long dining room, dominated by a massive sandalwood table, hewn from one mighty tree. A now rotting meal covers the table, a massive fungus covered ham and rancid butter. Six figures sit around the grotesque meal, slumped in massive ornate chairs.

It only takes Shalina a moment to realize this must be the royal family.

All are dead.

Most lean forward, heads on the table, as if merely sleeping. Two children have fallen onto the floor, hands outstretched. At the head of the table sits a young man in simple white robes, head back, eyes glassy pointed to the roof.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

"No wonder that man had been crazed by grief. Better to delude yourself that your Lord is still alive and attack those who speak reason than to accept the atrocity of the death of an entire family, of children.". Her voice remains a whisper, "This is by far the most horrific thing I've seen of late."

Shalina cautiously approaches the bodies and tries to determine how they died.

heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Her voice catches in her throat, "We can't leave them like this, can we?"


Shalina carefully examines the dead family, looking for clues. It becomes quite apparent it was poison and one that acted very quickly, for the children barely got one or two steps. The adults are all sitting in a way that makes Shalina think this was...self-administered? A desperate way out of a world gone mad? The song of the Spawn? A plot by the priests?

Tekk looks at them, the hangings and then the wooden table. "A pyre then? It is a accepted ritual in most rites these days." There is only the slightest edge at 'these days' from the worshiper of the old gods.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

The bard's feelings war between pity and disgust. "Maybe the guard knew that poison was administered purposefully and couldn't reconcile their actions with his values. He called me cowardly for not taking his life but surely this, choosing to die rather than live, is the true act of cowardice - or at least hopelessness. Here I thought we'd find help from the royal family but obviously they had given up hope, believing that the Spawn couldn't be defeated."

She stops her musings and turns to Tekk. "Are we deluding ourselves? Are we the crazy ones for thinking we can succeed and save the world? Because now, if we prevail, Osirion has no leader."

Shalina looks somewhat doubtful at Tekk's suggestion. "But we're inside. Can we really build a pyre and burn them when we're not outdoors?"


'There are other lines of the family, other scions to be brought here. First we must save the world. Politics can come after."[/b At her remark about fire the paladin nods. [b]"Good point but the walls are stone and marble. We don't burn down the entire Palace. Let use explore farther and see if we find anything of use."

Perception please


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30


Also, typo eairlier. it is a +3 glaive

They search the rooms and find a small antechamber. A dead Risen Guard slumps in a corner, killed with the same poison. On a gilded table rests a red silk pillow. On it rests the jeweled crown and crook, the royal symbols of Osrion, passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years.

There is also a chest of jewels and gold coins totaling about 1,000 gold, as well as several sets of ornate robes and clothes. Fine bottles of unopened wine (worth quite a b it to a collector) fill one cabinet while another is filled with many artistic relics of the past of the nation.

In a small side room, behind a hanging silk awning, Shalina also finds a small, tightly locked door.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

The opulence of the Ruby Palace is quite staggering. Shalina takes a moment to admire the crown and crook. "Archaeologists dream of chances like this. I can't believe that I am in a position to touch items such as this which are so important to the past and the future. These can't just be left unprotected here."

She'll check for traps and then carefully pack them and find a safe place to stash them.

perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18

She gives Tekk a small grin, smiles becoming more and more infrequent. "Maybe some of this can be used to fund our next adventure, should we survive. Surely they wouldn't bemoan us taking a few jewels or coins in payment."

As Shalina pulls back the silk cloth, she gives a low whistle and says, "Now this looks interesting."

Seeing it is locked and never trusting a lock to not be trapped, Shalina looks for hazards before attempting to pick the lock with her tools.

perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35
disable device: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (20) + 23 = 43


Safe place in your bag or a safe place in the room?

Woah, nice rolls

Shalina notices instantly the door requires a a certain key to be unlocked safely. Aware of this she carefully finds a set of magical traps and disables them. In only a few moments she has the door swung open. It creaks on the hinges, obviously not used in a long time.

It reveals a narrow stone spiral staircase, leading downward. On the lintel, carved in stone are the words, To the Gardens.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

I don't think I've ever rolled two 20s in a row. I have a feeling those rolls saved Shalina a world of hurt.

I would love my bag to be the safest place but I'm thinking that it won't be. Plus she doesn't want to be accused of 'stealing' them even though she wants to keeps them safe should anyone find them on her person. Therefore, safe place in the room and not have them on display would be her choice.

"All those traps to protect an emergency exit? At least we have a quick egress but I'm not sure we need to go that way now. If there are going to be any beds worth sleeping in, it'll be here. Maybe we should rest here?".

Remembering what she had learned about the lock she adds, "It may also be worthwhile looking for a set of keys either on the guard or the Prince."

Would it be too early to rest?


To meta game, there will be a better place to rest shortly. This place is pretty heavy with death and Spawn. There are aberrations in the Palace, as you have seen.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Ok, to the Gardens then :)


Shalina leaves the apartments of death behind her, Tekk following. In the pitch black, she lights her (new) glaive with Light, guiding their steps. the Spawn is thick here, choking, crowding, filling the passageway. Several times she is forced to squeeze past it, and she can feel sticky, oozing residue on her body. The smell fills her nose, her lungs, her mind. A weird ringing sound sounds, the Spawn singing to her. Thoughts of death, chaos, madness enter her mind. Her light starts to flicker...

Please make a Will Save


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18. Hopefully that's good enough...


BTW, feel free to RP these skill checks and saves

Shalina is about to panic when Tekk, behind her, lays a hand on her shoulder. His firm strength flows through her, centering her, steadying her. She firmly blocks the evilness around her and pushes through, heading down the endless stairs.

Finally they reach a solid stone door, and for a second the bard worries but it pushes out easily with a touch.

It opens, and Shalina realizes they are on the outside of the Palace, on the far side of the main doors they entered. Behind her the white walls of the Palace rise up, like towering cliffs. Ahead of her lies the formal gardens, the serene place of rest the Ruby Prince would relax in.

Rows of fruit tree blossom here, ornate bushes crafted to look like men or beasts, trellises covered with vines. The air is fresh here, filled with the scent of fruit, flower and sap. The Spawn seems to be weakened here and she only sees a few small patches of it among the gardens, and only on the edges.

However, even as she enjoys that, she hears the shouts and cries of battle within the green depths of the garden.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Is it possible to give me the DC when you ask for a roll? That way I can more accurately write her thought process...or do you just want the actions/struggle she may be experiencing?

Shalina reaches back and covers Tekk's hand on her shoulder with hers. She gently squeezes it and verbalizes her thanks before continuing.

The Gardens are a welcome retreat for Shalina. She is pleasantly surprised that the Spawn hasn't infested this area like the rest of the Palace grounds. She can hardly believe that there are still trees bearing fruit. "I wonder why the Spawn isn't as strong here.". She hums as she looks around to see if there was some sort of magical protection over the Gardens.

Casting Detect Magic

As she wanders over to pluck a peach off a branch, she hears the commotion. She listens for a second to see if she could hear the blast of a firearm. But then her concern turns to Ankraten so she begins to move with her new weapon lighting the way. "It may be Ankraten who needs our help. We need to check it out."


Shalina sees nothing with her spell, but besides her, also taking in the garden, Tekk says suddnely, "This is a holy place. I do not know how or why, but the Gods are strong here. The Old Gods."

Then they are running, heading for the sounds. The gardens grow thicker, more wild, deeper, older far older.It occurs to Shalina that while the Palace has only stood here for three generations, these gardens date back to the Qadira occupation and more, back to the ancient days of Osrion. As she darts past the massive, gnarled trunk of an oak, the bard realizes some of these trees are as old as the ancient pyramids that dot this land.

After pushing through dense green undergrowth (the spell of the Spawn is almost absent now), they enter into a large meadow, flanked on one side by a large pool. A strange sight appears before them.

Standing upright in the meadow, in a fighting stance is Ankraten, fists clenched, shoulders tense. Facing him are three gibbering mouthers, maws gnashing and leaving a thick trail of black slime. While disgusting and abhorrent, Shalina is more interested in what appears to be the monk's allies.

Two moving toparies flank him, one in the shape of a lion, the other like a unicorn. The living plants seem to be helping him fight off the aberration attackers. She sees no sign of Baskir.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

Shalina is relieved to see Ankraten but not what he's fighting. "Tekk! Those are the kind of monster that blinded me back by the stables and that was only one. He's fighting three of them!" She barely got the words out before she was flat-out running to get to the monk as fast as she can. "Ankraten! We're coming!"

The uniqueness of Ankraten's allies are not lost on Shalina but she doesn't have time to ponder how the plant animals are alive to help. That was a discussion to have after the mouthers had been dealt with.

If she can get there to attack/flank one of the mouthers this round then she will, just let me know and I'll roll. Or you can roll to save time = whatever :)


Ankraten looks totally thrown as he sees Shalina and Tekk rush to his side.

"How did you get here?" He shouts, kicking a mouther and sending globs of black liquid flying.

You are flanking one of the creatures. You are up.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

"I could ask you the same thing but now is not the time. Don't let it spit in your eyes, it'll temporarily blind you." That is the last piece of advice she offers before she channels her anger through her glaive.

+3glaive,elemental rage,flank: 1d20 + 18 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 18 + 2 = 22
damage: 1d10 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 7 + (4) = 20
+3glaive,elemental rage,flank: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 13 + 2 = 20
damage: 1d10 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 7 + (4) = 17

Those were the suckiest rolls ever! At least they aren't ones...


They don't have very high AC

Shalina lets the rage flow through her, imbuing her blows with the power of acid. The one in front of her, already slightly wounded by the leafy lion, disintegrates under her blows. As it sloughs apart, staining the bright green grass, another spits acid at her.

Spit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Wise to the attack however, she skillfully ducks.

To save time

With their timely help, the mouthers are quickly dispatched, and the Gardens are free of the scourge. As the fight ends the lion and unicorn move off to the side and looking into the woods, obviously waiting for someone.

"I don't think they will hurt us." Ankraten says, looking at the living topiaries.


Female Human Archaeologist/9; Elemental Kin/9 | 74/86 HP, 0/18 temp HPs; Active Conditions: none; Rage = 17/21rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 6/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-2/3

"I would hope that they wouldn't fight alongside you only to turn on us and hurt us. I'm so relieved that you're ok. After we fell, I wasn't sure you'd make it across the widened gap." Shalina gives him a brief hug before she starts in on Ankraten with a list of questions. "Who are they waiting for? How long have you been together? Oh, and where's Baskir? It makes me uneasy when I don't know where he is."

2,051 to 2,100 of 2,259 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Into the Shadows- Solo Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.