Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Into the West

Game Master Simeon

Combat Maps


1 to 50 of 320 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

New Orleans, 1849

The sun hangs high over the waterfront of New Orleans. The cacophony of the port is ever-present. Faces and voices come from all around the continent. Mexica dressed in bright clothes and face paint rub shoulders with former French aristocrats. Ships bearing guns, rum, and cotton sail up and down the Mississippi to markets in the North or out of the Gulf of Mexica to lands beyond. The heat of the bayou clings to the skin, unwilling to relent. A letter has brought each of you here, addressed by the United States government. The letters indicate that you must report to the Cabildo, the center of government in New Orleans. Fortunately, in the distance, it looms over old Spanish villas and cheap saloons. Finding your way there should not be hard.


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

John Thomas stops after coming around the corner and spotting the building. He removes his hat and rubs the stubble on the top of his head.

He is not a big man but stocky with a well made shield strapped to his back over an aged backpack.

Boy-o what have ya got yerself into this time. Lets give er a minute and see who else comes along.

He finds a spot in the shade to wait and watch, not wanting to be the first to arrive, and slowly eats a green apple.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna, feeling stunning in her new armor, and excited at the prospect of a new adventure where she might encounter some drakes, makes her way through the streets to the Cabildo. Once in sight of the building she deposits Vala (her Eagle) on a hitching post outside, whispering Stay, and then sticking her gauntlet in her belt.

handle animal: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Seeing that Vala is going to do as she was asked, Zaranna proceeds inside, intent on showing her letter to someone and finding out where she should go.


F Dhampir Inquisitor 4, hp 24, AC 14|T 14|FF 10, F +4|R +5|W +6, Init +6, Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft
Spoiler:
bluff +8, diplomacy +6, disable device +11, know (local) +8, know (religion) +8, perception +9, ride +8, sense motive +11, stealth +8, survival +9, know (history) +8, linguistics +5

Sat at the window of the cheapest, nastiest-looking saloon overlooking the cabildo's entrance, sweat-soaked hair tucked untidily beneath her fedora, a pale-skinned woman gestures with the stub of her cigar

Well Angus...

She pauses to throw back the last glass of the rotgut whisky the pair had been drinking the past hour

...seems to me it's probably about time we head on in. Don't see no suspicious groups of government troops waiting to charge us, and I've wracked my head six ways from Sunday and can't think o' much bad we'd both o' done might make em take interest enough to write a god's darn letter to the likes of us!

She slaps the man on the shoulder of his buffalo-leather coat, and stands up from the table, taking a moment to steady herself before she scoops up her pack. Slinging a rifle across her back she pats her hip holster in a well-practiced fashion, checking the familiar weight of the revolver nestled there.

Drop that glass and shift your... hey is that a gold elf just gone in? Curiouser and curiouser...

She pauses to make sure Angus is coming, then begins the short walk to the Cabildo, nodding at a nearby man eating a green apple, a man more sensible than her it would seem, he in the shade and she placing one well-worn boot heel in front of the other on a dusty road towards more trouble no doubt.


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

Fortuitous, What are the odds of meeting someone who also wants to wander further west.' Smiling as she comments about the letter, he simply responds. "I recon so."

Sipping the last of the whiskey he was drinking, setting the glass on the bar. He turns to the dark haired woman in the fedora preparing to follow her out. Nodding in agreement about the golden hued native 'I should have paid better attention to some of the nobler tribes, I don't recognize the armor.' "Farasha, you are a perceptive lady, I believe you are correct. But the marking on her gear escape me."

He waves to the bartender 'Never hurts to be polite. Of course, tipping well tends to go further.' and slips a silver coin on the bar. "Charley, would you hand me my rifle from behind the bar. If you don't mind I'm going to leave my mustang out front. Don't worry about anyone trying to take him. He's too ugly for anyone to want to steal." Angus winks at the owner of the bar as they leave. 'And if anyone was foolish enough they will be in for a rude awakening.'

As he follows Farasha out, He pulls his flop hat down a little. "Charley's got a nice place here." He smiles a little, "At least compared to the saloons in Texas."

As he steps off of the boardwalk into the dusty street, he moves toward his gelding, patting him on the neck speaking softly. "Marion, you stay here, the lady and I are going to see about getting paid to wander around out west." He takes a half step then turns back, fishing an old carrot out of the pocket of his coat. slipping the carrot to Marion he tells him. "Don't give Charlie any trouble." Marion nickers as he takes the carrot, and Amgus walks away toward the building.

Catching up with Farasha, he wrests his rifle casually on his shoulder, and follows her toward the Cabildo, tipping his felt hat to the stocky sharp eyed stranger. 'Never hurts to be polite, and that one looks like he can handle himself.'


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

Well what we got here now? An an elf and a man and lass in hats. No accounting what that matters but there it is I guess. Less guns then I figured, interesting."

John Thomas gives it another couple of minutes while he finishes his apple, core and all, and then straightens himself up. He doesn't go directly to the building but takes his time and a winding path looking in windows and what not. He straightens his gear, makes sure he doesn't look too presentable and gives one more look around.

Finally, talking to himself as he enters the building, pulling out a letter.

"Well boy-o lets be getting this goin' I guess."


As you walk into the building, you see a tall well-dressed man standing near the door. He carries a finely made walking stick, made from mahogany with a faceted crystal as a handle. Upon seeing the four of you he smiles and walks over with a barely perceptible limp. He briefly looks around before saying, "So it seems most of you have made it. I had thought a letter may not have been enough motivation but it seems I was proven wrong. In any case, let me introduce myself. I am Colonel Reginald Swift, of the United States Army. It seems that we're waiting on one more. I'll tell you why I've called you all here when they arrive."

Perception (DC 20):
The Colonel's walking stick is a well-crafted sword cane, and a concealed coat pistol hangs at his waist.


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

PErception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

John Thomas finds a place to sit (if there is nothing he will lean against the wall).

"Got ya. We wait until your good and ready for whatever this is. Tis a find stick yer walkin with there my friend. My dear da use to say ya could find a lot about a man noticing the details in a piece like that.."

So he feels the need to be armed. Well that's something.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Zaranna easily notices the man's armaments, but says nothing. She introduces herself in turn:

I am Zaranna, a representative of the Gold Elves.

She bows slightly to the Colonel and nods to each of the others in the group.

Then she settles in (a little out of sword range) to wait. She opens the new book on Wild Drake habits that she has recently acquired, and begins to read, although she will look up and move back if there are any sudden movements, and of course politely respond or put the book away if anything seems to require her attention.


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

perception: captain: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Angus Steps into the room. 'would just as soon not leave this open door directly behind me.' Moving to the side so the others could enter. He rests the butt of his rifle on the floor in front on him, holding the weapon vertical pointed at the ceiling.

'Wonder where he got that limp.' While he briefly takes in the 'Captain' as he limps forward. Angus Looks around the room, His gaze finally resting back on their host, he then tips his hat. "A pleasure sir, I'm Angus Elphinstone Texas Ranger and army scout. Originally from Galveston by way of Charleston and the Texican desert of late."

'It would be rude to not introduce Farasha.' He nod toward his associate. "This lovely lady is Farasha, I will invite her to give you her own particulars."

He then nods and tips his hat to the Irishman and the golden elf. "Sir, Ma'am, a pleasure."

perception: room: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 anything interesting in the room, other exits, furniture or other people?


F Dhampir Inquisitor 4, hp 24, AC 14|T 14|FF 10, F +4|R +5|W +6, Init +6, Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft
Spoiler:
bluff +8, diplomacy +6, disable device +11, know (local) +8, know (religion) +8, perception +9, ride +8, sense motive +11, stealth +8, survival +9, know (history) +8, linguistics +5

Farasha grins at Angus' introduction, not batting an eyelid and taking up where he left off.

Howdy Colonel, as Angus says, I'm Farasha, most late I've been hunting bounties but I can turn my hand to all sorts. I guess the success of yer letter might depend on how afeared of the government a body might be, and whether they'd need to get someone ta read yer letter to em in the first place!

She walks to one side of the room and drops her pack, leaning against the wall.

I'd say yer far from home Miss Zaranna, but I'm guilty of the same. Nice threads. She nods at the elf's stylish leather armor.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Not so far from home, only about... she begins to point toward the elven lands, and then stops, realizing, oh, perhaps you mean in terms of being far from my own kind, figuratively. Yes, indeed. It may be hard to travel without any other elves. Many humans seem to think we are myths. She distractedly, rubs the top of her ear, saying The children always want to touch my ears to see if they are real.

She looks up then, and studies Farasha. You are not a human, however. What people do you leave behind?

In response to the comment about her armor, she gets animated. Yes. I had them match the thread to the Drake hide, dyed blue and green. I'm planning on becoming a great drake hunter and making many more useful items from them. They are a scourge when alive, but can be quite useful after they are killed. Tell me, have you run across any drakes where you are from? If so, which kinds? I have been reading <gesturing with her book> this chapter about shadow drakes, but I have never seen one. They are good at hiding, and this man encountered one in an abandoned building at the edge of a town. You never know when they will come out of nowhere and kill innocent people. We must be ever vigilant.


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

No arcane knowledge. Angus, in fact, knows nothing about drakes.

Hmm, is it obvious that Farasha isn't human? I just figured she looked pale...

'Not Human, thought it would be rude to mention she looked a little different, Wonder if she's going to call me out next.' Looking from Zaranna to Farasha, Angus puts his fist over his mouth and clears his throat into his knuckle and thumb. "Mmmmhhhhhhmmmmm"

'At least she changed the subject...Drakes, pretty sure she isn't speaking of male ducks.' Raising an eyebrow as the golden Elf speaks of Drakes, Angus inquires as he lowers his hand. "Beg your pardon, ma'am, I recon your not speaking of male ducks. Are these Drakes anything like buffalo?"

He holds out the sleeve of his own coat. "There large and dangerous and the natives, hear about's, use them for everything. Of course they cover the plain like waves on the tide. Just about can't miss them. But you wouldn't want to tangle with one of them either."

OK, he's pretty and polite, but not brilliant...


Male Dwarf Divine Hunter (Hunter) 4th

A stocky dwarf that's seems surprisingly spry rides up on a buffalo, hops off and walks inside his weapons clearly visible, tomahawk and bow. His hair is jet black and long as is is beard both are braided with raven feathers.

A simple obsidian necklace holds a few wild prairie flowers serves as his holy symbol. His armor is covered by buffalo hide.

"You must be the man I seek and these must be others scouts."

He looks appraisingly at each person eying obvious weapons and armor, holy symbols or any type of magical gear (using detect magic which is not overt beyond staring rudely.)

After a moment, "The reward better be good."


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

When the dwarf arrives John Thomas stands up and stretches, absently scratching the top oh his head under the hat.

"Welcome to the party boy-o. Now we may get some details it seems."

The dwarf might have bad eyes the way he stairs. Still looks like a rough and tumble group, that's good at least.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

On the non-human thing, I wasn't trying to play it as obvious, more like Zaranna is just that good, that she notices, once given the clue that Farasha is also far from home. But happy if you guys want to retcon it to something else if it was supposed to be hidden.

Angus wrote:
Are these Drakes anything like buffalo?

Like buffalo? Zaranna lets out a long and hearty laugh. Well, very close to buffalo, except, well, that they can spit fire, or acid, or something else, and lots of them can breathe underwater, and oh, well... the evil, and the wings, and the color <she indicates her armor> This is a river drake, but there are many different types.

I guess a drake would probably weigh about the same amount as a buffalo, and buffalo also have good hides. I've never actually tasted drake meat (hmm...), but I imagine buffalo tastes better. Knowing drakes, their meat is likely poisonous or something. I need to look that up. She removes a journal, ink, and a pen from her bag and starts making some notes. Very good question.

After writing for a moment, she comes back to her awareness of the conversation. Pardon my previous laughter. I should not mock. We all encounter things for the first time. I was surprised because I learned about drakes as a child. Do they tell stories of dragons where you are from? Drakes are their smaller cousins. Unlike the fairy tales of good dragons however, drakes are never good. The world would be a better place if they did not exist. ... Unlike the buffalo, which traditionally refrain from hunting people down and killing them.


"Elphinstone? Name sounds somewhat familiar, not sure from where." He then looks over at Zaranna and nods slowly, stroking a greying goatee, "Ah, so you're the drake hunter. You seem to know your subject matter quite well. In any case, I am glad you're here." When Kuruk walks in the Colonel smiles slightly and says, "And so everyone has arrived. Now then, follow me." He raps his walking stick against the floor once and set off up a nearby flight of stairs. Following him up the stairs and down a hallway, you all come to a well-sized office. The Colonel takes off his coat and hangs it on a coat rack, before taking a seat behind a desk in a large chair. Directly behind him, a large window looks out over the French quarter and the Mississippi. Bookshelves fill one wall of the room, and several chairs are arrayed in front of the desk. He takes a glass decanter filled with whiskey and pours himself a glass before motioning the the chairs, "Now we can talk. Please, take a seat."


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna nods to the Colonel when he compliments her knowledge, and when they get to his office, she sits down as soon as invited. She's decided to trust him.

(In case placement is going to become an issue later, she sits to the far right.)


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

responding to Zarannay
'Like dragons, the British Isle had their dragons, not surprised their ilk is here, learn something new everyday.' Angus smiles as the native speaks of the drakes not tasting good, interjecting, "I recon not."

responding to the Colonel
'He may have heard of my father.' Angus nods at the Colonels observation. "My father is the owner and captain of the ship "Libertas" he sails out of Galveston, but frequents New Orleans."

On the way upstairs
following along behind the Colonel he drops beside Farasha, and asks quietly, smiling then winking. "So what do you think of our little band of merry scouts? Everything that you expected?"

in the office
'It looks like the pleasantries are over.' As they enter the office, Angus watches the Colonel take of his own coat and sit. Raising an eyebrow, still smiling.

'No reason not to be curtious.' Angus draws a chair back slightly, turning to Farasha, "Your chair m'lady, May I take your coat?"

He then takes his own coat off and hangs it on the coat rack also. Along with Farasha's if she gives it to him. Placing the rifle beside the rack, He then takes a seat, nodding toward the Colonel's whiskey decanter. "Are you pouring for everyone? Or should we help ourselves?"


The colonel narrows his eyes slightly before saying, "I can't say I ever heard of your old man. I do remember where I know the name though. I was stationed with my regiment on the border during the war. I had quite a bit of contact with the Rangers, must've heard your name somewhere." When Angus asks about the whiskey, Colonel Swift chuckles, "I must've forgotten my manners. Whiskey, anyone?" He grabs a few glasses and sets them out, pouring one for Angus.


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

"Well now that warms me up to ya a bit. Never been one to turn down a nip."

John Thomas will grab a filled glass and take a seat to listen to the colonel.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna doesn't get a drink, but while everyone else is getting drinks and sitting down, she scans the bookshelf near her seat to see if Colonel Swift has any books on Drakes.


Male Dwarf Divine Hunter (Hunter) 4th

"Yes the war, your side paid better and our enemies allied with the Mexicans."

Takes a drink.

"[b]This group is going to stand out in the territory, I count at least 4 possible diverging interests.[b]"


F Dhampir Inquisitor 4, hp 24, AC 14|T 14|FF 10, F +4|R +5|W +6, Init +6, Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft
Spoiler:
bluff +8, diplomacy +6, disable device +11, know (local) +8, know (religion) +8, perception +9, ride +8, sense motive +11, stealth +8, survival +9, know (history) +8, linguistics +5

I think as Farasha doesn't disgiuse herself, with the correct knowledge (local) roll (the catchall 'humanoids' knowledge), anyone could tell what race she is, but otherwise yes she does look much like an incredibly pale-skinned human!

Angus, on the way up

Truth be told didn't know what ta expect! Sides, judging books and covers before you've read 'em and all... I've always reckoned you can't get the measure 'o a man till you've seen what happens when the bullets start ta fly!

Now

Farasha nods and scoops up the offered whisky, smelling its quality from ten feet away. She backs up to lean against the wall and tips her glass back in tiny sips, enjoying the taste and just listening as the others talk.


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

On the way up
Angus smiles, "well then. lets hope we don't have to get their full measure."

now
'That's more like it.' Angus reaches up and accepts the crystal glass, "Well, we may not have crossed paths, but we certainly pounded some of the same dirt. Did you meet Captain Walker of the rangers? I rode with the scouts that he sent. Fine man, I admired the revolvers he helped design. saw a couple prototypes, hope to get a pair ordered." As he returns to his seat he unconsciously shifts his pistols so he could reach either of them.


"Well, I'm afraid the pleasantries are over. As I would expect you are all aware, the United States has just won a war, and gained quite a bit of territory in the process. We need a skilled group to explore that territory, make sure that unusual threats to settlers are either removed or in some way negated, and then hopefully report back. The reward will be quite generous. You can keep nearly all of what you might find along the way, unless there's something outstanding the government could. You'll be doing the country a great service after all."

The Colonel opens a drawer on his desk and pulls out a map of the U.S. He clears his throat before saying, "Your ultimate goal is to get to California. We're not sure what's out there, but the Mexica seemed quite reluctant to give it up so it should be worth your while. We've found three ideal routes for you all to take. You can go up north, skirt the Northern Reaches and head down along the coast. It'll take a while and might not be especially rewarding, but it'll be relatively safe. You could also go through the middle of the continent. It's faster then going northwards, and possibly more profitable, but a bit more dangerous. The terrain is a bit harsher. Finally, you could head west from Texas through the desert. It's by far the fastest route. It'll be tough though, hostile natives and vast deserts. The payoff could be enormous though. The little scouting we've done has found ancient ruins aplenty and wholly untouched lands. Whichever route you choose, you'll leave from Fort Worth in Texas. The choice is ultimately yours. Get back to me with your decision in two days."

He downs his whiskey before continuing, "One last note, this venture marks the recommissioning of the Corps of Discovery, which we used to scout the Louisiana puechase. Given that it is a branch of the army, you all need ranks. As such, you have all been granted brevet promotions to Captain and the pay that comes with it. The paperwork should be complete by the time you make it to Fort Worth. That is all."


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

I'm in an army? Wow. Err... I assume we can get back out of it when we're done?

So, we can take this map, right? She studies the trip to Fort Worth, putting the question of the later California trek off till later.

Hmm. Likely mostly forest drakes along this route. Not sure what else.

She looks around at the group. We need horses, right? I don't have a horse. I walked. I kind of thought they... came with the job. Sorry for not being prepared. I have money though. Is anyone here good at picking them out?


"Ah, I suppose I had not expected that some of you may not be acquainted with the army. The brevet promotion is temporary, and will be removed once the mission is completed. We have arranged as escort to Fort Worth, where you will pick up whatever supplies you might need, horses included. That particular map is mine, although I can get one for you."


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET
GM Coyote wrote:
"The brevet promotion is temporary, and will be removed once the mission is completed."

"So now me mate. We get to risk life and limb for dear old country and then you pull our rank and pay? Boy-o you may need a better exit package. If your saying we have the skill needed you mite be needing a way to keep us on the hook."

John Thomas look at the others hoping for some support in this play.

"I was a saloon owner to long to think the first deal is the best and we looks like a bunch of sturdy folks. I would guess your thinking right in us but how about a years pay, lump sum, when were done?"

"Oh and I do need a horse or some such. Maybe a second too to carry food and water."

If it is agreed he will want some sort of official note committing to the years pay.


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

hey John you may want to ask for more. The Lewis and Clark expedition took 2 years 4 months

’Three different routes, I’ve been both north and west of Texas hunting slavers. But not far enough to make a recommendation either way.’ Turning to Zaranna, ”Quality horses won’t be hard to find.” Nodding to John, ”Your correct though, a couple of horses each would be minimum, most cowboys ride with a string of four. We could use mules to carry gear. The question is if we can load everything we need on mules or if we need a wagon. I recon we can plan that later.”

He looks to the colonel, ”Zaranna is correct, we’re going to need a couple maps, hopefully drawn on something very sturdy. Also, I notice you gave everyone the same rank, so there is no superior officer. No military I’ve seen runs on democracy to make decisions. How exactly do you want us to do that?”


The Colonel smiles and chuckles, "I never said anything about taking your pay. Only the title is temporary, the money is quite permanent. You will be compensated as a captain for however long the expedition takes, along with keeping much of whatever spoils you may find," he turns to Angus before continuing, "Well, your expedition is quite small, just the five of you. Given that you'll be quite far from any command posts, most rank systems would disintegrate, and as such it was decided that the ranking would be equal. Besides, one person having more authority than a few others, far from any civilisation could lead to dissent and if something were to happen, well, you'd be quite far from anyone who could prevent an uprising. Besides, I am technically your commanding officer, and could theoretically give orders. In any case, I trust decisions will be made for the good of the expedition."


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Thanks, yes sir, a map would be helpful.

It's "yes sir," right? I'm supposed to call you that in the army?

An escort would be great. Who's escorting us? Or are we escorting them? And are we staying here in this town for two days while you wait for our decision about which way to go?

That's funny. You pay us as long as it takes, but give us choices about which way to go. So, if we want more pay, we go the long way, right? Which I think you also said was the safest.

But you actually probably want us to go for one of the higher risk options in order to clear out the bad things for new settlers. Which means we risk our lives, and get less pay. Yeah, maybe more reward, but maybe not. You haven't been there. I think John's kind of right. If we go one of the dangerous ways, we should get a big bonus at the end. If we go the easy way, no bonus. What do you say?

Uh, I mean "sir." What do you say, sir?


F Dhampir Inquisitor 4, hp 24, AC 14|T 14|FF 10, F +4|R +5|W +6, Init +6, Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft
Spoiler:
bluff +8, diplomacy +6, disable device +11, know (local) +8, know (religion) +8, perception +9, ride +8, sense motive +11, stealth +8, survival +9, know (history) +8, linguistics +5

Farasha grins as the other seize the opportunity to bargain like a dog seizes a bone.

I'll throw my hat in the ring here too, if'n you ain't offerin' a bounty on each thing we bring down then there has to be some payoff for clearing a path beyond a captain's weekly pay is all we're saying.

She tips her glass at the COlonel

It's a fair offer to let us keep the spoils we find, but... Sir...
how about instead of a big payoff... you offer up some of that hard won land? Enough for us to run a ranch or so? Of course we'd have to sign off on where, no stashing us in the middle of the desert!

She glances around at the others

You don't want it you can always sell it, but at least you'll have the choice...


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET
Farasha Aeval wrote:


It's a fair offer to let us keep the spoils we find, but... Sir...
how about instead of a big payoff... you offer up some of that hard won land? Enough for us to run a ranch or so? Of course we'd have to sign off on where, no stashing us in the middle of the desert!

John Thomas breaks into a big grin. Thinkin' I may like these folks.

"There ya go lass. Now we got us an idea don't we. A nice stretch of fine land if we get done what needs doing and a salary might fix it up with a nice bow."

Never wanted in that army but this deal sounds good for a walk around the new land.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna looks over at Farasha

Oh, wow, that's a good idea too. A nice, big piece of land where someone could start a new Elven enclave perhaps.

She looks kind of starry-eyed at that idea. I like it!

Editing to add a diplomacy roll, in case it makes a difference, as Angus indicated below. (Most of my arguments were in a previous post,
but hopefully this can count towards the whole party's idea.)

diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

don't know if rolls will help here.

Angus Tips his glass to the Colonel "I hear tell that Captain Richard King is trying to put together a ranch in Texas that's a million acres."

Angus looks to the others, then back to the Colonel "No reason the federal government can't spare a few thousand acres. That would be a thousand each. We could pick it out ourselves."

He smiles, "Who knows, if we don't like the land on the first trail, we may go ahead and map the second and third, just looking for a good spot."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

"You want to own land in the West you'd best keep it out of Apache range or you might find that notion coming for you and the ones you love in the night. Merciful in someways you simply never wake from sleep and none tell your tale.

If you don't want to all die I'd take the middle or northern path, the southern path would be deadly to all of you save perhaps myself.

This is way closer to his look but still not quite it since there's no war paint


The Colonel listens intently and thinks for a moment. He narrows his eyes slightly before saying, "Well, if you take the desert route it would be far more useful to me. There's the possibility of rebel Mexica forces being holed up out in the desert along with many other hazards to be sure. You'll also be scouting a path for a larger force that can establish a presence in the west. My hands are unfortunately tied on the matter of the King ranch. The land belongs to him, not the government. However, assuming you make it to California, we could likely spare a fair amount of land for you to stake. Granted, I can't be sure the locals there will find that as appealing but there's plenty elsewhere on the frontier which you'll have first claim to. I can have paperwork drawn up before you leave. If you happen to encounter the aforementioned Mexica holdouts, there's a bounty if you can get rid of them.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna bows to the Colonel, pleased with the offer, but waiting to see if the rest of the group is also willing.

She turns to Kuruk. You said we would die going by the Southern path, but you would not. But we are willing to learn from you. Is this something you can teach and help us prepare for? It sounds like the southern path would get us all <she gestures to everyone including the Colonel> perhaps a better reward than we were expecting, so if it is possible, I would like to consider that path.

You also mentioned the Apache. I have not met them, but I don't wish to claim their land.

I don't think that any of us intend to steal land from those who already possess it. <She looks around to make sure her point is clear.>

Indeed, we will encounter others in this land, including Elves, that do not realize that settlers are coming, and that they are part of something bigger now, and that they need to protect, and in some cases establish, firm borders. We have only learned this because of our nearness to humans and others who have joined with them. I will not be a party to robbing them of their homes. But if we go, as a group that understands the need for cooperation and understanding, perhaps we can soften the transition for everyone. That is my wish, anyway.


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

'The Apache, tough desert people from what I've heard.' Angus nods toward Kuruk, "Weren't the Apache at war with the Mexica forces well before even Texas was formed? I would assume if we shared the same enemies, they may consider us friends. Of course I would be happy to skirt their lands entirely, no cause for bad blood."

Nodding In agreement with Zaranna, smiling. "I agree with Zaranna, the southern route sound very beneficial, once were done with it, perchance we could explore the north then."

'I want to know if the army is going to protect the rights of the people who live there now, as America has done in the past.'* Turning to the Colonel, asking bluntly. "It is unlikely we will find reasonable land that is 'Entirely' unpopulated. Can we negotiate a purchase with local land owners for the land we desire. Or are you planning on throwing people out at gunpoint."

* If I remember correctly, in this multiverse, the explorers/pioneers moved into North America with a friendlier gentler quest for expansion.


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

John Thomas nods along as the others talk content with the deal as laid out and taking the southern path.

"A little risk for a greater reward works for me. Look'n at us I do see a lot of lives that played the safe game till now. I might need a bit of help with the desert travel bits but I'm game."

Back to the colonel. "So a bounty on the Mexica holdouts? You don't want us to drag around a bunch of heads or some such I hope."


Male Dwarf Divine Hunter (Hunter) 4th

"If there's a promise to fight the Mexican rebel holdouts it's possible I can get the Apache to accept this group, as long as they do not show weakness and respect the land. Regarding larger forces I cannot make promises. The Apache hunt and herd which requires large ranging grazing lands, wide open spaces. Settlers tend to fence land and change it which can lead to war.

There is some respect for the US military forces, we fought side by side. If you do not treat well with the people that already occupy the lands you believe to now be yours then I suspect you will not find rest. Aside from rather brutal tactics the Apache also have strong magic.

The US found allies in the Apache, the Apache survived the Mexicans before the Spanish and the Aztec before them. They've been fighting the Mexican settlers and armies for over twenty years. If we go South it is the most dangerous path and while I will try to teach you how to treat with my adopted people and I will assist you I cannot guarantee your safety in that part of the territory.


F Dhampir Inquisitor 4, hp 24, AC 14|T 14|FF 10, F +4|R +5|W +6, Init +6, Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft
Spoiler:
bluff +8, diplomacy +6, disable device +11, know (local) +8, know (religion) +8, perception +9, ride +8, sense motive +11, stealth +8, survival +9, know (history) +8, linguistics +5

Farasha nods, satisfied.

Glad we could come to an accommodation, nothin' helps folk focus on a task light the thought of home, specially if'n that home depends on yer success!

She downs the last of the whisky and runs the glass between both hands, squinting at the Colonel.

Well I guess we'd ought ta retire to a saloon ta discuss yer offer and decide which way we're gonna head.

She places the glass back on the desk with some care, looking to see if anyone had anything else to add before they headed off to finalise their travel plans.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

The Colonel did say he'd arranged an escort, so the path to Fort Worth might already be planned. Is it Colonel?

uh, I mean, Colonel sir? Sir Colonel?


Male Aasimar Slayer 4|HP 33 |AC 18/T 14/FF 14 | F+5/R+8/W+2 | CMB + 4 | CMD 18 |init + 5 | Perc + 8

'Works for me, good thing the dwarf was raised by apache, guess were going to have to ask him about that some day." Nodding his head in agreement, Angus finishes his drink, placing the glass upside down on the silver tray beside the crystal decanter. As he walks over to get his coat and rifle he turns to listen to the colonels answer to Zaranna. 'She's a smart one.'

Walking toward Farasha as he puts on his coat, "Shall we introduce our new friends to Charley. I want to check on Marion, not sure he wouldn't try to go in and get a beer."


"For the bounty, we need some form of proof. What form that takes is up to you. If you can capture one who has information on other rebel cells, that would be worth quite a bit more. On the matter of land, if you can negotiate a reasonable price a purchase would work. While tossing people out at gunpoint is quite effective, it rarely creates a stable reigon. And Kuruk, I am sure the government can make some kind of arrangement with the Apache. In any case, I am quite pleased that we could come to an agreement. Ah yes, the escort. You'll be part of a supply train to Fort Worth. You just need to follow the wagon train and you'll get there in a few days."


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna also gets

  • The details about where to meet the supply train and when it is leaving.
  • Information about where to obtain the maps the colonel promised them.
  • Information about who to talk to about the promised supplies when they get to Fort Worth.

She doesn't rush anyone, but when they start leaving, she also asks the group whether someone will help her pick out a horse now, because she doesn't want to wait for the ones that the Colonel had promised to supply them with in Fort Worth. Following a supply train on foot sounds too dusty.

Don't want to drag it out, but wanted to cover some details we need. I also can just add a horse to my character sheet instead of role-playing picking out the best one. Just flavor. Happy to role-play any of it further if you prefer, but sounded like people were ready to move on. :)


F Dhampir Inquisitor 4, hp 24, AC 14|T 14|FF 10, F +4|R +5|W +6, Init +6, Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft
Spoiler:
bluff +8, diplomacy +6, disable device +11, know (local) +8, know (religion) +8, perception +9, ride +8, sense motive +11, stealth +8, survival +9, know (history) +8, linguistics +5

Farasha nods

Good ta know we got the authority ta negotiate reasonable land sale,
also good we got an escort down to Fort Worth

She winces at Zaranna

Horses? Can't really help ya there m'fraid. I'm a friend o' others o' the animal kingdom but horses and I ain't never got along that well...

She grins then shuts her mouth quickly, but it's enough to note her wickedly sharp canines.


Female Gold Elf Drake Hunter Skirmisher Ranger 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | Fort+4 Ref+8 Will+2 | Initiative+4 | Perception+10 /+12 Natural settings /+14 vs Drakes | Low-light vision

Zaranna allows her eyes to widen a bit at Farasha's teeth so that Farasha knows that she noticed, and then she smiles and puts a hand on her shoulder as they walk out, hoping she will understand that she knows and doesn't mind at all. So, if you aren't a horse girl, what are you going to ride? An ostrich? She laughs.

When they get outside, she pulls on her gauntlet and recovers Vala, petting her and praising her patience. She introduces her to Farasha. Farasha, this is Vala, a brave and noble hunting eagle.


HORSE IMAGE HORSE HEROLAB Brawler 4 | 34/39 HP | AC22/19 | T13 | F19/16 | Init +4 | Per +6 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +1 | Brawlers Flurry +6/+6 1d8+4x2 | Unarmed +8 1d8+4 x2 | Cold Iron Dagger +8/+6 1d4+4 | 1/1 Knockout | 5/5 Martial Flexibiity LOOT SHEET

John Thomas gets up thinking things are settled and prepares to head out with the rest.

He is fine with the wagon ride out to Fort Worth but will want to grab a couple of horses. Even if there is a wagon being used he will keep what he can on a horse in case they need to move fast or lose the wagon.

"So this is the beginning then it seems. I will need a horse to follow the wagons at the very least to get started."

1 to 50 of 320 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Into the West All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.