Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Into the Haunted Forest (Inactive)

Game Master Storycrafter

A short adventure intended for a new-to-PBP DM and new(ish) players.


301 to 346 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"I admit, I am not fine. In fact, I am filled with contempt almost to what is known as the curse of rage. The reccomended means of countering the curse and returning to clearheaded calm is by physical action, but I will not dismiss you or send you away. To harm another unless it is in self-defense or jousting tournaments is forbidden to my people." Kensington explains to Leotian.

As she begins the game, she looks at Leotian and Horfil, and after Horfil speaks, she sighs, them smiles.

"Yes, it's a game that is often played in my homeland. A small handful of people have even learned how to play professionally, without magic, no less! I gladly invite you both to join the game. The idea is to take a ball and hit nothing but this feather."

She returns to the stable and picks up an own feather, then sticks it in the ground. With that, she uses a ball (borrowing one from a resident by asking if she must) and begins to play. Feather bowling is an ancestor of our modern bowling which was played in the medieval world, so it's appropriate for Ken to know it. There is another version, where the ball is used against other people and the last one standing is the winner, but the Bre-ayne clearly favor the feather version.

"So come on and join the game, but I'll go first so you can see what you should do.""

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian nods as Kensington explains she's filled with contempt "It's the sheriff isn't it? That guy gets under my skin too." When Ken says she won't dismiss him, he decides that means she wants him to be there with her even though it's probably more along the lines of she'll tolerate him. "I'm pretty bad at jousting... I'm not sure I'll be much help."

"Your people sound nice Ken I'd like to hear more about them sometime. He listens to her explanation on feather bowling and smiles "Well I'm glad it doesn't require any magic, I think I'd be pretty bad at it otherwise..." He's about to eagerly ask to go first but reconsiders when Ken says she should go first, it made sense since she knew what she was doing. "Ok,can I go next?"


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin blanches, "Well lets examine it first before we start making rash statements if it is flaming as there have been some minor indications it could be I believe nthen it could be worth over 4,000gp. That's a deal of money in anyones book - and would explain something of this ridiculous situation."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

After Leotian goes Horfil attempts the game.

"Well the sheriff just got on my last nerve and to be honest I wouldn't mind killing him however it would make our business here considerably harder if everyone here hates us not to mention how many authorities would be after us after doing so."

After the bowl attempt.

"So what do you guys think we should do? Go to the druid and try to talk with her into giving us the stuff, hand over the dagger or kill the sheriff? That last one was a joke by the way.."

Horfil is Chaotic Good so even though killing is an evil action he believes that if it must be done to continue with the current task at hand he will do so with no arguments.

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

To Colwin, Kensington muses, "I daresay, most humanoids share with monkeys the pox of greed. Even I was not immune to it."

Later, during the game:

"Yes," Kensington says to Leotian after she has explained the game and demonstrated how it is played first. She defers to his request to be second player, passing him the ball and nodding. "It is that blooming lawman. I suspect he isn't a lawman at all. We may be wise to ask around town and find out if there's a second constable. Nor do I like how he failed to arrest the Gnome when it's as clear as crystal the Gnome is a thief."

As the game goes on, she looks at Leotian.
"My people are Orcs and Half-Orcs, mostly, who have renounced evil and barbarianism to study goodness and druidism. They mean to be the masters of divine magick, and study and prepare themselves for mystic union with Gaia herself. More than that, I cannot say. My people's very survival depends on secrecy. Only druids may be told anything about them openly, especially the location of our homeland, without fear, for all druids are brothers in faith, if not in flesh."

"This corrupt Sherriff should probably be exposed and run out of town," Kensington counters to Horfil. "Killing him will solve the problem of the man, but leave us burdened both with his ghost and with the anger of the town. It's a price I don't want to pay. Perhaps we should seek redress from the magistrate instead, or from the mayor. Both of them are capable of giving a Sherriff an order."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leo attempts to play the game properly following the way Kensington had played. he nodded towards her as she talked about the sheriff "He was asked multiple times to provide some sort of proof that he was the law, but always avoided it, and when I persisted he just ignored me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a fake... Blast that feather's hard to hit."

He passes the ball to Horfil listening more intently as Ken explains about her people, he looks a little disappointed when she says she can't say any more. "Aww so I can't go meet them? That's too bad, they sound so nice, and druids are so good to nature, I think everyone should treat nature with more respect." He thinks about it for a moment "So you're a druid? How does one become a druid?"

He sighs softly at Horfil's joke "Don't tempt us Horfil; I definitely want to be rid of that sheriff and get on with our lives, but killing him would be wrong... and on top of that they'd have a real reason to put us in jail. None of this is our fault, we shouldn't have any sort of obligation to the sheriff or the doctor. Ken's right if they push further we maybe should bring it to someone higher up."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"I wish I could let you meet them, Leotian," Kensington replied. "Nature's wonders and blessings are more than enough to quell the fury in the soul if one is willing to listen to the animals and trees. But I'm not a druidess myself. Don't get me wrong. I was raised in the religion, and I believe in the religion, but I'm not a member of the class. Only about eighty percent of my people's population are druids, the same as only eighty percent of my people's population are Orcs and Half-Orcs. We have people of every race, and we have people of every class, except barbarians, fighters, and rogues."

Knowing that hearing she's not a druidess would probably confuse her companions, Kensington decides to explain.

"We are a theocracy, which means rule by the church, or in our case, a religious order - druidism. But eighty percent of our population being druids means twenty percent are not. They're not rebels, and neither was I. In my case, I simply lacked the greatness of soul required to understand more than the simpliest of the great magicks. They discovered this in school, so it was decided by my teacher, my parents, a druid priest, and a tarot reader as the five conferenced together, that I should be free to develop my own more natural path to power, based upon my own personal bloodline. What I lack in greatness of soul, I more than make up for in personal magnetism. You see, my great-grandmother was an Orc paladiness on the main... in your world, long before my people even existed. And my great-grandfather was a celestial. The people in my family have had some natural talent for arcane magic ever since. And I happen to be one of them. So in the conference, it was decided that it would be unfair to attempt to force me down the normal path for a child in our people, because I couldn't thrive in it. So instead, they would encourage me to develop my own talents. Since magick is celebrated in my home more than anything else, they hardly saw any reason to mistreat me, merely because I'm better at arcane magic than divine magic. As to how you become a druid, I know only rumors. At times, I feel the call to unite with Gaia and become a druidess anyway. Druid/other classes are quite common, and druid/witch/mystic theurges are one of the most frequent admixtures. If I learn for certain how to become a druid, I will gladly tell you."

As the game continues, she realizes that she's left a piece of the story out.

"As for why I'm here, I have two reasons. It is felt that young people need more maturity and direction between graduation from grade twelve and university, so all Bre-ayne are required the two year interrum serving in the navy. Most people spend their two years, refuse to leave the... homeland again, and use the university to complete careers. Some, mostly girls, but not all, instead bypass the university in favor of attending Madame Kirustinu's nursing school. She's one of the world's greatest healers, you see. After all, she is a druid, and she wanted her healing talents and surgical skills to be passed on to our people, making Bre-ayne druids the masters of medicine. It is a skill I lack, since I preferred communication and the arts of language. A few don't go on to university, either, using skills they learned in the navy to start a profession or joining their family's business. And a few, like me, choose to stay in the navy, at least for a time. The reason I did not want to stay on the island is because of my great-grandmother. My mother told me all these fantastic legends of the glorious, heroic deeds of my paladin great-grandmother, and I have to know firstly if the stories are true, and secondly, if I can restore and live up to her legacy. Thus far, I'm off to a rather disappointing start, aren't I?"

When Kensington says greatness of soul and personal magnetism, she means wisdom and charisma. She could learn druidism, but it wouldn't do her too much good because her wisdom is ten, meaning she couldn't learn any spells. Her charisma, however, is considerably higher, so the Bre-anye felt it fairer she be encouraged to develop powers as a sorceress instead.


"Wow your great-grandmother was a legendary paladiness?" Leotian looks up at Kensington with admiration as he listens to her story. He furrows his brow a bit when she finishes "I don't think you're off to a disappointing start, you've probably done more than you realize I bet your great-grandmother didn't think she was doing anything incredible at the time either. You were in the navy, you must have had adventures there. I'm not really sure what the navy does, but you must have effected, or even saved people's lives you could already be a legend to them. It sounds like you've made a far larger impact with your life than I have with mine, and your family has such a grand history. I'm not sure if I even had grandparents... well I guess I must have, I had to come from somewhere. I never even knew my real parents though; momma and pa say that a paladin found me in a river when I was practically newborn. Alusys, that's the paladin's name, cared for me as much as she could, but she wasn't in any position to raise a baby, she probably needed to go fight evil, maybe she started her own legend. I was left with my parents... or I guess adoptive parents? I don't really know the proper technical term. They raised me as their own, taught me how to live with nature. They were just simple hunters, no great legends or anything, they were really nice, and I couldn't have asked for better parents, but I couldn't help wonder what happened to my real parents either. Momma told me that Alusys said my parents were probably slaves, Alusys thinks maybe they had me in secret, and snuck away and sent me floating in the river hoping that a better life would find me. Momma told me not to go look for them, that it was dangerous and I wouldn't find them, but I had to try. Maybe it's silly but I wanted even just to be able to tell them I'm alive." He grins up at Ken and towards Horfil as well "And maybe show off the great friends I've made. When I find them do you want to meet them? I'm not sure if it's greatness of soul or magnetism but you got me to like you."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Well, to be fair, most of my time aboard ship was as a communications officer. There is a spell that I am a master of, just a cantrip, really, that allows the sending of messages across distances without words, so my job was to send and receive messages from other ships and to summon whomever the Captain wanted to the control bridge, whether it be the security team, the medical team, an officer to relieve someone else, or the ship's marine biologist. Though I do confess I was also sent on missions, sometimes, where my training in multiple languages allowed me to serve as translator. In point of fact, that's why I'm not with my ship now. But never mind. Your poor parents. If they are slaves, and you wish them to be free, then I can offer them sanctuary and protection back home. So, Leotian, when our business in this horrible place is complete, perhaps we can help each other."

She smiles, and resumes the game.

Bre-ayne navy ships all have one staff marine biologist aboard. This means a high-level druid who specializes aquatic animal study, both in behaviorism and veterinary medicine (heal skill variation.) Their purpose aboard is to warn the Captain if something changes for the worse with the ocean, or if they need to speak to oceanic animals. For example, the ship's marine biologist would be summoned to the control bridge and useful in cases such as a dangerous change in the ocean, encountering a wounded dolphin and restoring it to health, or using "Speak with animals" to convice a killer shark to leave the ship and its crew alone, or, if the shark refuses, to spontaneously summon orcas, (killer whales) which have the power to kill even great white sharks. This is useful to Bre-ayne who intend to go to university after their navy service is over if they are interested in veterinary medicine or wildlife science, because the marine biologist will happily take them on as an apprentice.


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"Well what a wonderful story you have Ken and Leo I would be glad to meet your parents if we ever get out of here and find them. My up bringing was different than both of yours I'm afraid. It started with me being sent to a school of swordsmanship and, at the same time, a school of dance. My parents always wanted perfection and when they saw it they didn't even acknowledge it with praise, they would say 'Now do it again' and the schooling was hard due to the fact the teachers would pit the students up against one another, fencing for the sword school and dance offs for the dance school. I was always the loser in those fights, due to my lack of time to train both skills, that was until I learned how to combine my dancing technique with my slashing attacks then I became the better fencer and that is why I carry this sword with me where ever I go because it is perfect for what I do best. From then on I have been roaming around looking for work as a trainer in either profession or helping groups like this complete their missions putting my skills and knowledge to good use."

Horfils' dad wanted him to learn how to use the sword and his mom wanted him to learn how to dance so they compromised and sent him to both schools.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin rubs his temples, this is why I'm not likeable isn't it, because it really seems like we should be addressing the problem at hand rather than playing games and regailing each other with our life stories.

"Fascinating I am sure, and yes Kensington I am willing to admit I have a liking for coin, not for itself, but for its usage, it can be used to buy knowledge which is my stock and trade, to buy comfort and to buy shelter. In and of itself it is shiny bits of metal, but its uses are important to me, ah, and I am not ashamed of that fact. A poor Wizard is exactly that, if you, ah, take my meaning."

Mind working furiously he paces back and forth for a moment and then clicks his fingers,

"Very well let me, ah, postulate an alternative course. I say we speak with the Sheriff and the Doctor and explain to them the following. That we believe ourselves to be the rightful owners of the dagger, and that we do not believe that we are morally or legally responsible for the destruction of the shroud. Should they wish to press matters we will ask about the legal course, and if we accept it as just and fair, adhere to it, and defend ourselves to the uptmost of our abilities. But should it seems capricious or arbritrary we will not participate in such a process willingly. On the otherhand, if they wish us to complete their task with enthusiasm and vigor, the Doctor needs must offer us fair reward for doing so. He can either get what he wants for a fair price, or get nothing."

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Aldaara is not amused by Horfil's "joke". She decides to let the matter go, and watches as Kensington, Horfil, and Leotian play their game. She instead turns her eyes to Colwin, and watches him rub his temples. She holds a slight grin on her face, and speaks to him in a low voice.

"Stressed? I know of the technique. It's a good one. Try to relax a bit. Everyone has their ways of stress relief." She gestures out towards the rest of the party playing their game. "I must admit, I haven't been the kindest to you throughout the course of our adventure, but you've showed me that you actually have a spine, when the situation calls for it."She pats him on the shoulder. "I apologize for being uncouth to you at times. It takes quite a bit of effort on my part to treat a man with dignity and respect."She bows her head for a moment towards him in apology, then moves her eyes back to the game.

Listening to Colwin give his course of action, she stares at the ground for a moment in silent thought, then glances back up at him.

"I have no desire to go against the wishes of the local law, but I must admit, even I find this entire situation to be quite...queer. Killing anyone is simply out of the question-" She gives Horfil a sharp glance before continuing. "but perhaps Colwin gives a sound alternative. After all, I may be a Paladin, but I am not stupid, and this whole situation reeks of wrong. I will not be cajoled into doing these men a favour for nothing. It is neither good, nor right."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin, turns rather pink at Aldara's words and manages only,

"Ah, well, ah, when, um, yes, well, thank you."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leo smiles at Kensington when she talks about offering sanctuary to his parents when they find them, but then furrows his brow "Thanks Ken that's really great of you but umm... I don't think they're druids I mean maybe they are, but I wouldn't count on it. They wouldn't be allowed to go to your home any more than I am. Oh unless we find out how to be druids!"

He hears Colwin talking about their situation and comes over closer to him and Aldaara "Of course you're right, we have no responsibility for what happened... But this sheriff seems decidedly unreasonable I'm not sure why but he seems rather determined to pin something on us. When Grelm started the fight the sheriff didn't intervene until it was clear our group was winning, and when Grelm fled he was more interested in harassing me than giving chase. He then lost the dagger, and required all of us present for the investigation, but Grelm's party was suspiciously absent. He had us conduct the investigation effectively doing his job for him, and when we solved the case he wasn't even the least bit grateful, he just demanded the dagger be handed to him. Then as soon as we returned he goes on blaming us for this shroud thing. If he even is a genuine lawman, I have my doubts he'll allow us to proceed with the proper legal course. What do we do if refuses?"

"As or the doctor... if he'd just admit we are not to blame, and asks for our help I wouldn't be opposed to it" He lightly pats Colwin's leg since that's what he can easily reach "Sorry Colwin I don't really need much money so I don't think about it, I didn't realize it was so important for wizards. If we get a reward you can have my share too." He looks up at Aldaara wondering if maybe paladin's need lots of money too. "Or share it with the others maybe... I'm not sure who needs it most."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"In matters of the abomination of slavery or to save someone's life, the rule of secrecy can be relaxed," Kensington replies. "Leotian, you're suggesting that the Sherriff is part of the gang. I can't say I disagree, taking into account his failure to arrest the gnome... If he is part of the gang, any entreaties we make to him would fail by default. Better to go over his head to the mayor or a judge. And Colwin, I too will give you my share of the money."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin looking decidedly taken aback stammers,

"Ah, no, I could not possibly take your shares - though the offer is most generous. I am fond of what wealth can buy, but I also believe the experience of attaining such wealth is important and valuable in itself - a man gifted his fortune will seldom be the equal of a man who earns it. Perhaps instead you might allow me to offer some advice as to how you might, ah, better sue it to enable you to increase your own power. Power often sounds a dirty word, but it can be the power to help, the power to protect, the power to bring justice... Consider it at least please."

Drumming his fingertips upon his chin he continues,

"I confess I had not actually concluded the Sheriff could be in league with Grelm and his low lives, but you make a compelling argument Leotian. I am not saying I am convinced, but it is certainly a possibility we should consider."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"So... To the mayors office I take it?"

Knowledge(Local) to know where it is: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Should that fail:
Horfil asks around for the location of the mayor's office unless the party stops him from asking around.

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

"Well I didn't really mean to say that he's part of Grelm's gang, but more that he may not have the best interests of the law, or justice in mind, but yes it is possible they're in cahoots."

Leotian nods towards Colwin when the man he wouldn't take their shares "That sounds good, I would very much appreciate your advice on how I can use my share to better myself."

"You're right Horfil, I think we should try to talk to the mayor, but if the sheriff is corrupt I doubt he'll make that easy for us."

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Aldaara purses her lips in contemplation for a moment before speaking.

"I didn't get that vibe off of the Sheriff as working with that vile Grelm...In fact, I feel he's more embarrased at his own incompetence than anything else. I'm also under the impression that after he gave us our 'Mission', he went to deal with the gnome. Dispensing justice, and whatnot...At any rate, I don't believe going to see the mayor is necessary. I feel that Colwin's original plan, at least for the time being, is the best one."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin taps his chin again before saying,

"Would this place even have a Mayor? There were hardly any houses, its more a crossroads than a Village by the looks of things. I say we seek out the Doctor without the Sheriff first and explain our position to him, then we can speak with the Sheriff. I, ah, would rather someone else do the talking though, I am no diplomat as I am, ah, sure you have witnessed."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Very well then. I will speak no more opinions. Do as you please."

This doctor isn't going to help us, Kensington thought. Talking to him is a mere waste of time. But I won't raise any further opposition. It's their world, it's their decision.


After asking around, Horfil will learn pretty quickly that this is a (more or less) simple inn along the side of the road, and there is no city or village (or hamlet) to speak of -- and therefor no "mayor" or other official. The Sheriff is responsible for maintaining law and order in the nearby woods and environs, which includes, of course, the inn and its patrons. Although he maintains a room at the inn, he is not always there -- he often attends to business elsewhere in the region and can be gone for days at a time.


"Well it is unfortunate to hear that the only real authority nearby is the sheriff" Leotian says with a sigh "If he is corrupt this could be very difficult. I'd rather not do the talking either some people tend not to take a person of my stature seriously, and I don't believe I have the best rapport with the sheriff, but I can try if everyone would like me to do it."

He looks up at Kensington with big eyes "But Ken... I appreciate your opinions, and I need your advice. What do we do if the sheriff and doctor both refuse to be reasonable about this? The question is directed more towards the whole group than Kensington. I know Colwin said we would not go along willingly, does that mean we fight? That doesn't really seem like the right thing to do either."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin frowns and sighs,

"In that unhappy event I, ah, would suggest flight to the nearest proper settlement, where we can contact a legitimate authority and explain the situation - ideally before the Sheriff's story reaches their ears. But for the moment yes I would, ah, support you talking with them Leotian."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

The logical alternative is that one of us go for help while the others go and do what this sherrif wants - temporarily. But if one of us does that, then we should establish some form of communication between the single seeker and the rest of the group. Smoke signals, perhaps. Of course, we could always leave, finish our job, and seek real justice there.

Kensington doesn't say what she's thinking. She is, however, scratching her chin and deeply pondering this.


OK, after a brief delay, the action continues. Hopefully.

As a reminder, each of the party was given a parcel and an incentive to deliver that parcel to places within and around Falcon's Hollow. The encounter with the dogs and the inn was on the road to Falcon's, as the group was traveling somewhat east and quite a bit north up into the Darkmoon Vale (in the land of Andoran). You are currently very near the Arthfell forest. (Map)

Your parcels:

Horfil:
a small satchel to give to Lana at the "Roots and Remedies"

Colwin:
a sealed letter to be given to Namdrin Quinn, the head boss of Quinn's Carnival

Aldaara:
a sealed letter to be given to Lady Cirthana, priestess of Iomedae

Horfil:
a small pouch to be given to Sharvaros Vade, a "hermit" living "just outside" of Falcon's Hollow.

Leotian:
a small satchel to be given to Brickasnurd Hildrinsocks, the propietor at the at the Goose 'n' Gander

You were each approached by a thin man dressed in long, grey robes, who pressed a bag with 25gp inside one hand and the the item to be delivered in the other. Your memory of him is now quite peculiar and extremely vague, but you do seem to recall being strangely compelled to complete your delivery. That you met up on the road at some point with a similar destination and similar task just seems like coincidence.

You may start to get the feeling that this delay at the inn has kept you from your task. Falcon's Hollow is still some 40 miles distant -- past the town of Olfden, which you believe you are not but perhaps a short day's walk from.

Of course, there is the open matter of the dagger. And the threat of the huge debt to repay the professor.

At some point, you see the Sheriff dragging the manacled gnome by the collar back towards the inn.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

"I have a packaged to deliver and this is, ah, taking up too much time. I say we simply leave and deal with the consequences. I doubt this bumbling incompetent Sheriff can organize any real pursuit, but if so we can deal with it when it happens - hopefully with a more proper authority. If the Sheriff makes to stop us, we will deal with that too."

He then simply heads out...

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian nods listening to Colwin "I agree we have no responsibility here and we're just wasting time. We should continue on and deliver our packages. We can get some real lawmen with some authority to handle this when we get to Darkmoon Vale if need be."

He moves along to go with Colwin.


My apologies. The second "Horfil" above is really Kensington's. Copy and paste error, doh!

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

Well, that's explained. I saw every name but mine and thought you'd decided to remove me from the party. Now I feel better.

"Right. Let's carry on with our mission first and then we'll see what Nature has in store for us."


If the party decides to continue on to Falcon's Hollow, they will first pass through Olfden. Olfden's 3300 inhabitants include humans, dwarf, half-orc, elf, gnome, and a few others. It straddles a crossroads (the road heading north-south up to Falcon's Hollow, and a road heading east-west from the Aspodell Mts. to the Arthfell Mts.)


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"So off to Falcon's Hallow then? After you my-ladies."

Horfil gestures and bows to Aldaara and Kensington pointing the right way to Falcon's Hallow.

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Aldaara walks with the rest of the group for a moment, then takes a moment to look back at the inn. She stares at it for a moment, shakes her head, and continues on with the rest of the group, mostly in silence.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Gibbeous flies up and splatters the roof of the Inn, as Colwin gives the stables a glance. Maybe we should do something about the horses, but no I'd rather not cause difficulties for the innocent.


Assuming that the group turns north up the road, and travels the rest of the day towards Olfden

The group finds itself back on the road winding north. The road skirts the Arthfel forest, which looms a few miles to the west. The trip is largely uneventful, although occasionally, it feels as though the group is being watched. No telltale sign presents itself (and a circling, scouting Gibbeous would discern nothing out of the ordinary), but the strange feeling lingers.

From behind, after leaving the Inn, nothing happens. There is no pursuit. There was no sign of Grelm of his companions from earlier, and after the last scene with the Sheriff hauling off the gnome somewhere inside the inn, the whole clearing fades into the distance quite quickly and quietly.

Finally, after most of the day traveling, and after arriving shortly before nightfall, the group rounds a bend and sees the expansive wall of Olfden begin to come into sight before them. A crossroads lies ahead, and Olfden straddles it. The large walls of Olfden stretch from about a quarter mile across the road leading west, and for about a mile across the road leading east. In addition, the wall also covers about a quarter mile of the eastern side of the road that the party is on. There is a large watchtower in the southwest corner of the crossroads, and 3 smaller towers on the other corners.

As the group approaches the towers and the city walls, they see that they are pretty well guarded. There is no challenge given as the group approaches, and it appears that the party will be able to pass through the gates and into the town itself without issue.

Judging by the size of the enclosing wall and apparent number of houses and buildings within, one might guess the the town might house some 3000+ souls. Certainly large enough that one might find an inn or two to pass the night in comfort. Of course, the road north through town does continue on to Falcon's Hollow. . .


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin looks about anxiously,

"Perhaps it might be prudent to, ah, sell this dagger and purchase some horses? I'm not sure if the place will prove large enough though. Personally I'd rather press on, it would not, ah, behoove us to forget our problems so quickly - I doubt others will."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian sighs softly. "It would be nice to stop for a while, but we've already lost a fair amount of time and the sheriff could be following us..." He looks up at the others "Should we stop for the night or just push through?"

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"I think we should continue on. I've rather lost my taste for inns. Is every inn like that in your world?"


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

"Well lets press on then, I'd not want to burden some unfortunate merchant with that, ah, oaf of a Sheriff in any case." Colwin says nodding and hurrying his pace.

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

"We've wasted enough time at the last inn with the Sheriff and his games. Let us continue. However, I need to make it clear before any of us falls exhausted. If you feel you cannot push on any more, say so. I'll not be carrying anyone who was foolish enough to not know their own limits."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"Kensington not every inn is like that, we just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Horfil continues to walk with the group, and catches up if needed.

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian nods hearing that the decidion is pretty much unanimous that they carry on. His legs are short, but thankfully in her armour Aldaara's pace is just about the same so he doesn't feel that he's holding them back. He walks along beside the Paladin "Aldaara, I don't suppose you know a paladin by the name of Alusys do you? I've been trying to find her."


Moving on...

After some more travel north, the party eventually arrives in Falcon's Hollow. It is morning. To the north west looms Droskar's Crag, one of the tallest mountains on Gollarion. Between the mighty peak and Falcon's Hollow lies the Darkwood Vale, an intimidating forest. Falcon's Hollow itself is a river town, built on the north side of the River Foam. To the east lay small rolling hills. <Map>

It is mid morning when the party arrives. For the most part, the townsfolk seem to go about their business, ignoring the new faces. This is clearly a lumber town, and the smell of freshly cut timber is ever present.

If asked for an inn, townsfolk will mention a place called "Jak'a'Napes" near the town's stables (F5 on the map). There are many locations of note, including a general store, two markets (a "low" market and "high" one), a general goods store, an herbalist, a temple, a carnival, several administrative buildings, and a tavern. <Town Map>


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

"Right, ah, well I need to track down the Master of Quinn's Carnival. Anyone care to, ah, accompany me? Or perhaps we should all simply meet up at the Jak'a'Napes in the evening?" Colwin says, before heading for the garish array that is Quinn's Carnival.

Once there he seeks out the least intimidating of the carnie folk and asks politely, "Excuse me, would you, ah, be so good as to direct me to Master Namdrin Quinn? I have a letter to deliver to him you, ah, see."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"Well I'm off to deliver my mail at 'Roots and Remedies'...."
Once there
"Hello I'm looking for Lara. I have a letter here for her."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

Kensington will accompany everyone who wishes her to (though if she must pick only one, she will go with Leotian) then make her delivery last.

301 to 346 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / It happened along a road one day. . . All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Play-by-Post

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.