Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Into the Haunted Forest (Inactive)

Game Master Storycrafter

A short adventure intended for a new-to-PBP DM and new(ish) players.


251 to 300 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

I'm more talking about Gibbeous's responses to Colwin's attempted questioning via their link. He showed him the talon print and tried to convey quizicallness through their bond - as in "is this yours?". Good grief, it looks like I had a stroke in that last OOC comment - I hate that I can no longer edit it!


Colwin Throssle wrote:
I'm more talking about Gibbeous's responses to Colwin's attempted questioning via their link. He showed him the talon print and tried to convey quizicallness through their bond - as in "is this yours?". Good grief, it looks like I had a stroke in that last OOC comment - I hate that I can no longer edit it!

Heh, yeah, I kinda wondered what happened there with your previous post. I had imagined some faraway call for your attention and then a return hours later. That, or that you have cats.

Anyway, I see what you're asking now. Please, go ahead and play Gibbeous up any way you like. He IS your owl. I think it'd be fun to see what the two of you can come up with given the limits of the communication.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

But I don't know if he made the marks... So its hard for me to respond to that if you see what I mean. For all Colwin knows Gibbeous could have doen this for some reason. I don't want him to deny it when he really did make them, unless he's not aware he made them. Make sense?


Colwin Throssle wrote:
But I don't know if he made the marks... So its hard for me to respond to that if you see what I mean. For all Colwin knows Gibbeous could have doen this for some reason. I don't want him to deny it when he really did make them, unless he's not aware he made them. Make sense?

Colwin:
You can be reasonably sure your owl did not steal the dagger. The obvious clue here is that AN owl probably did it. Doesn't necessarily mean YOURS.
Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

Kensington will go searching the entire hotel thoroughly, reviewing the whole place from top to bottom. Even if it takes her all day, she will do it. Finding the dagger is the most important thing to do right now.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Gibbeous shakes his head in vehement negation as Colwin asks him whether the tracks are his, looking rather offended.

"I suggest finding the dagger would provide another clue, if its magical detect magic should locate it easily enough if its still here."

Where were the rest of Grelm's group again?


Even without Colwin's bond Leo can tell Gibbeous has denied the marks, and having quite carefully examined the owl's feet seems to confirm it for the halfling. "Not even the slightest trace of a tacky substance. I'd say these marks were not left by Gibbeous, though something tells me it might not be a coincidence that they're almost a perfect match for his claws. Horfil seen entering the inn covered in blood, now marks matching Gibbeous' feet, yet not left by him... If I were a suspicious man I might suspect someone was trying to frame us."

He nods when Colwin suggests the dagger would be another clue "Yes, finding the dagger, would definitely go a long ways to solving the case. I searched the entrance and hall up to the sheriff's room with no trace of anything, though detecting magic isn't my specialty. I believe Ken is searching the rest of the building, maybe we should join her? If that dagger's still in the inn we'll find it."


Colwin Throssle wrote:
Where were the rest of Grelm's group again?

For the moment, Grelm's companions are not assembled. They are quite likely either back in their room or somewhere nearby the inn.

Kensington begins searching the inn, top to bottom. I suspect anyone in their room will refuse to let her in to search their room. There are a number of empty rooms, of course, so she probably wouldn't have any problem searching them. Since she's not in the heat of battle or under immediate time pressure, so she can really just take 10 on the searches. It will take quite some time, however. The dagger is really a rather small thing in comparison to the inn.

Would anyone else care to take a closer look at the strange marks near the bed? You've been able to ascertain that they're most likely made by an owl (of a very similar kind to Gibbeous). There may be more to the marks.

Cage, who came with you to examine the room, is quite concerned that he didn't notice the tracks until you found them.

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

I didn't realize the situation was safe enough to take 10, so I will do that. As for anyone who won't let her in the room, I assumed that shouldn't be a problem because you said if we went anywhere, we'd have the Sherriff or one of his men with us.


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Horfil stays near the sheriff thinking

Well if I find it then that gives the sheriff more of a reason to think that I took the stupid thing... I'm sure that my companions will find it however it is odd that an owl took the thing I thought that they didn't like shiny things I think that Ravens do though however I could be mistaken on that too...

As he is thinking he is sitting down like the thinker contemplating the thought above.


Kensington Stone wrote:
I didn't realize the situation was safe enough to take 10, so I will do that. As for anyone who won't let her in the room, I assumed that shouldn't be a problem because you said if we went anywhere, we'd have the Sherriff or one of his men with us.

For the moment, the Sheriff believes he has his suspects, so he won't be knocking down doors to search just anybody's room. He will let you search the common areas and any unoccupied rooms. Will your search be taking you outside the inn, or are you searching only within?

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

As she walks about with the investigating party, a thought occurs to her. "Sheriff, what happens when we find the dagger? Assuming whoever stole the dagger is caught -" She shoots Grelm a look. "The fact remains that the dagger has a rightful owner. Were you just going to hand it over after the investigation concludes?"

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

When Kensington has finished the hotel, she will begin with the outer buildings. If this means she must 'sit the game out' for several turns, that is fine. She will begin with “The Traveling Exhibition of Doctor Phineus Krane, Professor of Antiquities and Master of Shroud Artistry.”

Then she will search the stable, then the hitching post, and then the tents.

She is not searching blindly. There are three things in her mind that take priority. The dagger, any evidence of illusion magic, and any evidence of owls.


Is anyone else searching the inn and surrounding areas with Kensington?

Cage responds to Aldaara with, "Ah, yes, well, right now, the important thing is to solve this crime and find the missing dagger and the culprit. Let's talk about ownership once we have the dagger in hand."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

This doesn't seem to be getting them anywhere, the owl tracks only brought up more questions. "I'm going to find Ken, see if she's had any luck, then I think I'll head outside to see what I can find. If someone was nearby waiting for the owl to deliver the dagger they must have left some trace."

Leotian sets out to locate Kensington, and comes over to her when he does "Any luck so far Ken? If you have the search in here well underhand I'll see what I can find outside, but if you need help in here I'm happy to offer it."

If Ken asks for help Leo will stay to help with whatever she asks, otherwise he'll go outside to search for clues, starting below the sheriff's window.

Taking 10 to search: 10 + 8 = 18

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Why don't we stay together? Two stand a better chance working in tandum."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Did we detect magic on the dagger when we found it?

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

Kensington did not. She doesn't know that spell. After all, she's a sorceress, not a wizard.


In order to move this along, as I believe we are very near the end of this investigation, I'll assume that the party is sticking together, and will be searching the inn and environs along with Kensington.

Searching the inn yields no further clues. Other than the strange markings and substances found around Cage's room, there are no other signs of blood or any other arcane residue or strange substances. At least none that stand out of place.

Eventually, Kensington and Leotian will lead the group to the back of the inn. Here the party will see the stables, which include several stalls and is somewhat open up near the rafters (being a simple building, after all).

How will the party approach the search of the stables (assuming that at least one of you will want to do this)? Any actions before entering?


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

I believe that I can still cast detect magic however as stated before if I find it then that would be put a bigger target on my head for taking it in the first place.


Horfil wrote:
I believe that I can still cast detect magic however as stated before if I find it then that would be put a bigger target on my head for taking it in the first place.

Clear your name, man! Actively participate in your defense :)


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin keeps detect magic running - which he would have been doing throughout the search - and calls for a stable boy,

"We need some likely lad to shovel the, ah, hay and refuse out of the way - because I certainly don't want to do it. There's good coin in it for an enterprising, ah, young fellow."

The young Wizard has no intentions of getting his hands dirty.


Leotian smiles happily towards Kensington "Ok, it will be much nicer to search with you rather than alone." He'll assist Kensington staying fairly close by her while they search the Inn.

Once outside and approaching the stables Leo looks for any tracks going to or from the stables. He looks over at Colwin when he suggests getting someone to shovel out the stables "I'm not sure that's a good idea Colwin, if we shovel everything out we might destroy any clues we would have found in the process."

I'll just take 10 again unless things have changed and you need a check.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin waves his hand around in a small circle,

"I mean shoveling it up so we can sort through it, a dagger could be easily buried in such refuse. Though, I do agree we should search with things undisturbed first, to, ah, prevent any contamination of evidence."

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Aldaara, used to the smell of horses and all that comes with it, gives it only a passing glance. She folds her arms across her chest as the others do the investigating. This is quickly becoming tedious for the narrow-minded paladin.

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Don't bother with a stableboy. I can move the filth with my Drench spell. But first, Colwin, since you're still detecting magic, why don't you scan the barn and guide me while I look? One of you search the stable with me, Aldaara, perhaps? The rest of you, I suggest, search around outside the stable, but close to it."

A woman of action, Kensington immediately searches the stable. If she finds nothing, Kensington will use her Drench spell to start pushing the hay and manure away. This will do no harm to anything, and allows us to move the filth out of our way without getting any on us.

If possible, taking ten on the search check.


Some rolls...

Kensington:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
Leotian:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Colwin:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Aldaara:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Horfil:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

As you begin to search the barn, you notice two things:
- The detection of magic is giving you a moderate aura of evocation and abjuration, coming from a pile of hay and manure behind the half-wall.
- A large owl is swooping to attack Kensington

Initiative:
Kensington's initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Leotian's initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Colwin's initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Aldaara's initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Horfil's initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
The owl: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

At this point, let's assume that the group is positioned thusly:
Kensington and Leotian are standing within 5 feet of each other, within 10 feet of the stall. Colwin is standing 10 feet away from them, right at the entrance to the barn. Aldaara and Horfil, trying to stay out of the way of the search, were standing 10 feet back from Colwin, and are 10 feet from the entrance.

The large owl screeches in fury, and swoops to attack Kensington:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
It misses badly. It then attempts to hover:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

With a big gust of wind from the rapid flapping of the owl's wings hitting Kensington and Leotian in the face, and after hearing the horrid screech of the owl, Aldaara's turn is up.

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Though surprised by the sudden attack, Aldaara's reflexes kick in and she withdraws her longsword, moving quickly towards the bird. After moving into position next to Kensington, she brings her blade down on the attacking owl.

Move next to Kensington. I have 20 feet of movement, and hopefully I need only make a single diagonal movement. Then I'm going to two-handed strike the owl with my longsword.

Attack Roll: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

If hit: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Was the owls attack the surprise round? Colwin's actions are the same unless it flies away or does something unexpected anyway.

Colwin positions himself so he can get a line on the owl without damaging anyone else and sends a jet of flame roaring out at the bird!

Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Meanwhile an incensed Gibbeous launches himself from his master's shoulder at his avian foe with a challenging hoot-screech,

Gibbeous Charge: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 1 damage
Fly to move less than half speed and remain flying: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Well when it does eventually come to be my turn here is what I'm going to do.

Horfil moves to striking range of the owl and draws his blade (move to get to the owl and standard to draw the blade).

Once is position he then asks Kensington "Hey, are you alright?"

Not much else I can do I'm afraid because my BAB starts at 0 I can't get quickdraw as a feat until level 3.

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Beware!" Kensington warns the group. "This bird is probably the culprit's familiar. No doubt we will have to deal with the real criminal next."

She decides to prudently conserve her limited level 1 spells, and casts Mage Hand on the bird, to essentially paralyze it. If it tries to move in any way, she will counter the movement by forcing it to return to stationary position.

This will fulfill the law of the Bre-ayne, she reasons. Back home, all animals are entitled to respect and are considered people. They even have voting rights and representatives in Parliament. But then, since most people back home are druids, this is no surprise. I wish I knew that path better, and perhaps in my travels, I will have the awakening the ship's counselor told me some of us have in time. For now, however, though I may not be a practicer of the druidic spells or have their powers, I was raised in the faith. And I will honor that faith. I wish I'd learned the power of speaking to such creatures, but perhaps the other own can communicate.

Kensington turns to Colwin.

"Could your owl can speak to this other owl or is it not yet magically powerful enough?

"I'm fine, Horfil, thank you," she will state after he has had his turn.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

"Gibbeous cannot speak to others of his kind - yet," Colwin replies.


Colwin's jet of flame wreathes the owl in fire, burning it badly and causing it to drop hard to the ground where it begins to writhe in agony. Gibbeous swoops in, tearing at the burning owl with its talons, slashing its breast with his claw. The now burning owl immediately goes limp and unconscious.

As the 3 members exchange quick words regarding Kensington's safety and the language skills of owls, a high pitched scream can be heard in the distance, coming from the nearby inn.

Moments later, the gnome, Lorkyhay arrives with a look of horror on his face. Shortly behind him is the Sheriff who stops to survey the scene. Lorkyhay rushes to the side of the burning owl. He ignores the fading arcane fire as he scoops up the own and begins caressing its lifeless head. "Scutter, no! What have they done?!" he cries, his face buried in the owl's feathers.

The Sheriff asks the group, "What has happened here?"


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

And we jumped the gun on this one... Lets see if this will work

"Well my good fellow, 'Scutter' attacked Kensington as she entered this building. The rest of us not wanting our group getting hurt attempted to dispatch the attacker as quickly as possible."

Horfil sheathes his blade at the beginning of this sentence.

"I believe that he is still alive just burned a little would you mind if I put out the fire with the water in my waterskin?"


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin narrows his eyes,

"The owl is obviously Lorkyhay's familiar. And I think we have our, or at least one of our perpetrators. Gibbeous was not in your rooms Sheriff it was this gnome's thieving bird."

With a snap of his fingers Colwin draws the flames from the owl to his own persom where they burn harmlessly against his skin,

"Now I suggest you confess Master Lorkyhay. Things will, ah, not go well should you persist in your deceits."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"And, as we were taught in school back home, nobody is better at illusions than a Gnome."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian lets out a small gasp mostly of surprise, but with a bit of shock as well as the owl is suddenly set aflame, and drops to the ground. He quickly moves over and kneels to extinguish the flames until they're drawn away by Colwin, he is about to check and treat any serious injuries the owl may have suffered.

'Poor owl, none of this is really its fault. I can't blame Colwin though he was just protecting Ken... what made it attack like that?'

Before he can treat the owl he hears the scream, and Lorkyhay appears scooping up the owl away from him. He quickly looks towards the gnome "Please Mr. Lorkyhay as Horfil said Scutter may very well still be alive. Let me look him over and treat him." He'll do what he can for the bird if Lorkyhay will let him.

I'll have to provide a heal skill check later, I'm at work without my char sheet, on that note would heal be the correct skill to treat an animal, or is it only used on people?

He gives Colwin a quick unhappy look when he calls Scutter a thieving bird. "Colwin please show respect, Scutter may be another owl, but that doesn't make him... or her, a thief. Even if Scutter did participate in taking the dagger, I suspect that he is merely following his master's orders as a loyal familiar. The real thief would be the master. Unfortunately we don't have a means of communicating with him, we can't hear his side of the story." He looks towards Lorkyhay "We can hear yours though, if Scutter is your familiar you should know why he's in this barn. Care to explain?"


Lorkyhay looks up at the the group in disgust. "Very well. Yes, I took the dagger. It's worth more than the lot of you will ever know, so I saw my opportunity and I took it. As soon as I saw the Sheriff heading towards bed, I cast sleep at the window and sent in Scutter here." As Leotian leans in to help aid the bird, Lorkyhay attempts to bat his hand away and screams at him "Don't touch him you fool. You'll only harm him further. Leave him be." He scoops the bird up in his arms and backs up, cradling the bird and attempting to revive him.

The Sheriff, after hearing Lorkyhay's outburst says, "Well, where's the dagger, then?"

"I don't know. Probably over there near his nest," Lorkyhay says, pointing at the largest pile of hay (and dung).

Anyone attempting Detect Magic will quickly find a magical aura emanating from the pile. Assuming that someone is brave enough to dig, at the bottom of the pile, the party will find the dagger (dirty, but none the worse for wear).

As soon as the group finds the dagger, the Sheriff will demand it. "Hand that back over. Now that this mystery is solved, we must still determine its rightful owner.". It is around noon at this point.


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"Look Sheriff at this point I believe that the dagger belongs to me and my compatriots due to the simple fact that it was us who brought it into the tavern in the first place. Also you never know the hearts of humans and how easily their morals can sway once they find something that is shiny that they don't own. Now I've been trying to be nice but this is just getting out of hand and we have a job that needs to get done here that you have stopped us from doing because of this 'investigation' now if you don't mind we will leave with the dagger as part our ownership. Now I will only say this once I still have magic that can still be cast along with my companions if you wish to fight us I guarantee that you will be the first to go down."
Intimidate check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Finally a nice roll for a check and right when I needed it too! And sorry about the jumping all over the place on this I would imagine it as there are decent pauses in between each period.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin steps forward extending a hand as the gnome moves for his owl,

"Touch that bird and the both of you fry you little sneak. You are lucky I don't roast you alive right now, and believe me I am not yet wholly settled on that decision! You tried to frame my familiar, ah, horrible little dingleberry, and I mean to see you punished."

Intimidate: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14 If the gnome moves Colwin will flame him, but leave the owl.

Colwin blinks, at Horfil's words, taking a deep calming breath before saying,

"Now now Horfil, I can see why you would be riled up - I, ah, share your feelings, but we should at least let the Sheriff make his determination. You have all the evidence Sheriff, make your decision. If, ah, you do not think we are the daggers rightful owners then say so. However, I can see no possible reasonable argument to the contrary, and see no need for us to give the dagger to you. Should you be able to, ah, provide a fair reason for doing so I shall, ah, consider it. But, ah, this farce has gone on too long already for my liking."

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

With the battle over, Aldaara sheaths her blade. She places a hand on Horfil's forearm and gives him a meaningful look. Relax. She then turns to the sheriff.

"Why don't we allow the Sheriff to continue his investigation? I give my honor, upon the grace of Iomedae, that we will give the dagger to it's rightful owner, whoever that may be. So what would be the harm in allowing us to hold onto it, Sheriff? After all, we've nothing to worry about. I, for one, know that the dagger belongs to us, and I'm sure that when the investigation concludes, you'll see the same thing. Now, I think we all need a moment to gather ourselves and settle down. This has been a stressful couple of minutes, for everyone."

Diplomacy Check. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

Kensington will search for the dagger personally, despite the filth. Whens she finds it, she will relinquish it to the Sherriff.

"I consider the dagger to be mine, but that is merely my personal opinion and should the proper owner be found, I will give it to him. I should meditate and renounce this greed. But on the other hand, we do have an admitted thief amongst us, Sherriff. Cannot one of your men, preferrably an Elf, secure this robber where he belongs? We know he is capable of casting sleeping spells, to which Elves are impervious. My people, being mostly druids, are quite understanding, but theft and the art of rogues is never tolerated!"

Now watch him turn it over to Grelm or try to claim it for himself, she thinks. All this fuss and bother over a dagger that wasn't mine to start with, and all a terrible deflection from our mission. Were I still aboard and we did this, the Captain would be quite irate. Madame Kirustinu would never find herself in this position.

If the Gnome tries to run, Kensington will scream, "As far as you go, thief!" and then cast Magic Missile on him.


Keep in mind the consequences of intimidating a person to influence their attitude towards you. You gain a temporary increase in attitude, and a more "compliant" subject, but after a short time, that subject will then respond -- usually by informing authorities or others of your intimidation. Given that Cage IS the authority in this region...

Cage seems somewhat cowed by Horfil's threatening manner, and responds with, "Very well, you may hold onto the dagger, but I am not giving you final ownership of this artifact. You must return it if I demand it. Please come with me.". Cage seems somewhat irritated, and turns to walk away without waiting to see if the group follows.

Assuming that the group follows

Cage walks inside the inn and proceeds to the main taproom. The scholar is there, with a fire damaged shroud laying out on the table.

Cage points to the group and says "I appreciate your assistance with the recovery of the dagger. I know you have a legitimate claim to the dagger. However, I also know your conduct in the taproom last night has lead, at least partially, to the destruction of Doctor Krane's extremely valuable property.". Cage holds up his hand to forestall any arguments and motions for the scholarly man standing next to the table to speak.

Doctor Krane clears his throat and says, "The subject of my exhibits here at the Travelers Stop is a form of artistry called shrouding. By using certain reagents and magical properties, this art allows the image of a corpse or mummy to be captured orthographically—that is to say,
with height, width, and depth—on the linen shroud in question. It was once a common technique among the burial practices of certain ancient cultures but has largely been lost today. The shroud in question that was destroyed carried the image of the Chelish King Haliad III. It was over four hundred years old and the centerpiece of my exhibition.
"

"The good sheriff here has agreed to not jail you if you can pay off the lost shroud’s value—something you will most certainly be unable to do. I do, however, have another proposition for you. Five years ago, a druid named Willowroot located and recovered five artifacts that once belonged to a forgotten king named Narven. I want you to travel to his home in the forest and secure the five items on loan and bring them to me here at the inn. With them I can create a shroud of their former master. Advise Willowroot that for the use of the panoply the items will, of course, be returned and that I will create a second shroud for him to keep, finally giving the burial honor to King Narven that has been denied him for 200 years. I leave it to you to find a way to convince the druid of my proposal. "

The five items are the breastplate of sacred fire,the wand of earth’s ire,the codex of the firmament,the vial of pure water, and the spirit-staff of Narven.I have here a map to the druid’s grove and sketches of each of the five items. Bring them back to me and you are free to go, our deal completed, and you avoid debtor’s prison for the next 40 years. The choice is yours.

Just to sweeten the pot,” Sheriff Blunnde adds, “and so I don’t have to post wanted notices all across the shire, upon your return with the items I’ll let you keep the magical dagger—no questions asked.

"Now you will have to excuse me," says the sheriff, "I have a matter of justice I need to attend to outside.". He turns to leave the inn.

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Druids I can speak to. I even known their tongue. Druids are quite literally everywhere back home on... Never mind. But I don't appreciate enduring, I believe this is called... blackmail. I confess, I've never seen this before. It never happens back home. Now I understand why it is strongly suggested that only navy officers leave the... Why our kind doesn't venture out beyond our borders. Since I believe I own this dagger, I would suggest giving you the dagger instead of your quest, doctor, as the price of the alleged debt to you. I question your claims of its worth because if it were your prized piece, and it were that valuable, you'd be a fool to bring into an inn! Shouldn't your most expensive piece be protected rather than exposed? Isn't that logical? Bringing it into an inn, leaving out the fire, still causes risk of stains and contamination from food and drink. Why would you be such a fool? To sell it? Easily done in your own secure location. Forgive me, but I believe you are exaggerating your damages, so I say again that I am willing to give you the dagger as repayment. Then we should consider the matter settled, pack our things, and go. We've our own things to do, and we've lost too much time already. My opinion is just one of many, though. What say the rest of you?"

I see now why many of my people never do anything without checking the stars or the tarot. This dagger has been nothing but trouble from the start. Perhaps it's actually cursed, in which case I should be glad to renounce it and be rid of it, Kensington reasons to herself.

Being a Bre-ayne, she is never intimidating, mean, or hostile to him. She is simply cold, logical, She isn't looking to cow him, or insult him. But just because the Bre-ayne are pacifistic doesn't mean they're pushovers.

At this point, Kensington is rather irate, but being a Bre-ayne, she will not harm or threaten anyone. Instead, she will, as soon as possible, go out and play feather bowling, on her own if she must. The Bre-ayne use atheletics and sports to release their aggression.


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Well now this is a mystery how does one hail from a land where everyone is a Druid and not be a Druid herself? Noting this for later conversations when we are in a better situation than this.

"Well whatever we do lets just do it and be done with this so we can finish our business here. Um... What was our business here again? I forgot.."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin gives Kensington an irritated look, "I, ah, do not believe you own that dagger Kensington. We recovered it and the other items from the dogs as a party, I even saw the dagger first - I am quite sure. But I was, ah, not aware, nor did I agree to a first one to pick it up gets it policy. I believe we as a group own that blade, and will, ah, have to take issue with you trying to dispose of it. But I think we need to go and discuss things somewhere private."

I've never played in a game where the first person to pick something up got to claim it so I don't view it as Kensignton's anymore than it is the rest of the parties.

Once the group move out of earshot of anyone else Colwin says,

"Doctor Krane and the Sheriff can prattle whatever they wish, we were not to blame for that shroud burning. That Sheriff is either the most incompetent man I have, ah, ever had the misfortune to meet, or he's corrupt. I won't be made to pay for a crime I did not commit, by some bumbling half wit. However, the proposed quest does sound rather interesting - I just have no intent of risking my life for a debt I do not owe. We might want to consider agreeing the the quest and then absonding without this fool calling whatever authorities there are, but I would much rather straighten things out so its not hanging over us. I fail to see how we can be held responsible for the destruction of a valuable shroud whose idiot owner had it out in a tavern, when we were the ones setupon by that Grelm cretin."

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"I agree. This Sheriff's behavior suggests a set-up. As for the dagger, if you feel it isn't mine, so be it. It's been such a problem, I no longer want it. I shouldn't have wanted it in the first place. Excuse me."

She gives Colwin the dagger, then she leaves to go feather bowling.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin waves the dagger away,

"I didn't say you could not hold on to it Kensington I certainly trust you, I just think we would all be better off selling it and splitting the profits once this debacle is done with. We all risked our necks for it afterall, and its caused us all a deal of trouble."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian follows the Sheriff back to the inn and listens to the claims that they're responsible for the shroud. "What our conduct? Grelm attacked us as soon as we sat down, we obviously are going to defend ourselves, we're not in the wrong there. Furthermore it was Grelm who bumped the Doctor. Claiming that we're responsible is like saying I'm responsible for your house burning down because a wizard who was aiming at me hit it with with a fireball."

He nods in agreement that they should discuss in private, and follows along withn the others.

"I agree Ken... I haven't trusted the Sheriff from the start, I can't say for sure if he's corrupt or just completely incompetent. I can't claim to know how much the shroud is worth, but any half-wit in the inn should have been able to clearly see we were not responsible. I prefer we wash our hands of the whole matter, if we can settle this by trading the dagger I say that's what we do. The thing seems to attract trouble anyway."

He watches Ken as she starts to leave, and goes along after her. "You ok Ken? Where are you going? Oh..." He hesitates "Is this one of those 'I want to be alone, don't bother me Leo' moments... I'm not good at picking those out."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"Well whatever profit share that would be mine can go to Colwin for fixing and giving me this awesome chainmail suit! That is of course if we sell it."

Horfil follows Ken outside and proceeds to ask her after she is done setting up feather bowling

"So what is this I wonder? A game perhaps from your hometown? How do you play? I am always interested in things that I do not know. If this is a solitary game then I will watch quietly and try to discern the rules from there however if more than one person can play then mind if Leo and I join in? You know what they say about playing games 'it is fun with more people playing.'"

251 to 300 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / It happened along a road one day. . . All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.