Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Into the Haunted Forest (Inactive)

Game Master Storycrafter

A short adventure intended for a new-to-PBP DM and new(ish) players.


201 to 250 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Then I suggest that we begin by taking statements as to where everyone was and what they were doing. We can start with me. I was in the dining room, seen by everyone, for quite some time. Then I went back to my room and stayed with Aldarra. True, I went to sleep in the room, but she never left during the entire time that I was awake in there."

She scratches her head, and nods.

"I also suggest that, while we're all here together, you have your assistants go check our bedrooms. As long as we are all in this room with you, none of us can interfere in the bedroom check. Also, can anyone use a spell known as "Detect magic?" It may make finding the dagger easier."


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Waving a greeting to the ladies as they head downstairs Colwin listens to the Sheriff and contemplates the scene before him. He then rubs his temples and sighs heavily,

"Sheriff I can, ah, see your dilemma. Perhaps you would be so good as to have the accusors each relay their tales in turn? I can personally assure you that I am convinced of Horfil's innocence, and am certainly not aware of him having left the room, despite my familiar Gibbeous here being on watch all night for fear of reprisals. Although I must admit our, ah, aquaintance has been a brief one I am convinced of his good character."

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian looks about the people gathered here noting that Grelm's companions seem to be oddly absent. "My good sheriff" he tries not to sneer when he says good "Might I inquire as to the whereabouts of Grelm's companions? I believe he was with an elf woman, a goblin and a round human last night, it seems somewhat suspicious if they're not present. Especially since Grelm has already tried to forcefully take the dagger from Kensington"

You seem to have listed 4 people in the lineup but later said 3 does one not belong in the lineup?

If there are 4 people lined up:
"Also, it might just be me, but I count four lined up chief."

"As always Ken and Colwin have some good suggestions. Horfil, Colwin and I were still at the table when Ken and Aldaara went upstairs last night, Colwin and I ordered meals from one of the serving ladies, she was kind to us." He looks at the cluster of accusors, but seems to decide the serving girl there is not the same one, but he does recognize the bespectacled man "Oh sir... it's terrible what happened to your linen, it was very beautiful... were you able to salvage it?" He looks back towards the sheriff "Oh sorry, I'm getting off topic. Horfil ate of his own rations, and after a quick discussion on watch rotation we went up to our room. We didn't stay up as we expected a long day today. I believe Horfil was asleep before I was, and was in the room when I awoke. It is possible he left while I was asleep, but I don't believe so. Oh he also mentioned before he went to bed that he cast alarm on the door and window to warn of intruders."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

It seems like I have gotten a bad reputation after almost killing Grelm last night... Lets see if this will turn things around.

"Its okay Leotian I got this. Now good Sheriff if the only way to remove my candidacy is by you searching my belongings then by all means go ahead. I can already tell you that the dagger is not in my possession and Colwin and Leotian can also vouch for me because they saw all of my possessions being put away in my bag. There is no where for me to put my dagger in my clothes and armor for I have no sheath for it. Also I think of daggers as beneath me after all I have trained with this sword all my life I have no need for blades such as those no matter how enchanted it is."

Horfil points to his sword as he says his last sentence.

"Now if it does end up as the dagger is in my possession then there are a couple of possibilities to that reasoning, either it was put there in between me putting my belongings away and now to frame me or I really am the thief and you can send me to trial and my group can try make me look innocent and we can continue on with what we were supposed to be doing here in the first place."

Horfil hands his possessions to the Sheriff with the exception of his sword and what he is wearing.

Right now I'm betting on Aldaara being able to get me out if it does come to that. Otherwise I hope I know what I'm doing.

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

She stares at the sheriff intently, folding her arms across her chest. "You mean to tell me you lost the knife? Unbelievable." She shakes her head, and glances at the other four individuals against the wall, and then at Horfil.

"Very well, I have little to add to your case. I went upstairs to my room shortly after the debacle in the tavern. I had a small dinner, and went to sleep. Kensington can attest to that. I personally believe that my companion Horfil did not take the dagger. I've known him for a short while, but I do believe he is an honourable man." Rare as that may be... At this point, Aldaara walks over to Grelm and stares him down. She begins speaking to him, in a low voice only the two of them could hear.

"And what of you, little man? You wanted the dagger for yourself, so who's to say you didn't take it? You started this entire mess, perhaps you wanted to finish it. Iomedae doesn't take kindly to thieves. If I do find out that you did steal the dagger, well...Just understand my mercy has limits. Stop wasting everyone's time, and tell them where you took the dagger. You'll suffer the sheriff's wrath, but at least it won't be mine."

Intimidate Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Whispering is a DC 15 - because I think it could be amusing if Colwin heard that ;)

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Awww.

Colwin watches Aldaara in action and whispers to his companions,

"She's, ah, very, ah," magnificent, "forceful isn't she."


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Wow I just realized that I have detect magic... Before the sheriff goes through my stuff I will cast detect magic at the vicinity of the sheriff and the people in question (sorry if wrong verbage but it is a 60ft cone and the cast time is 1min/level).

If someone asks what I'm doing:
"Well I'm casting Detect Magic to see where the stupid thing in question is. Now this may take a while but it will discern the location of it."

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

This is just for in case if I do find a Magic object with this. This is to know the school of it.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

This is to identify its properties.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Spellcraft Horfil's Spell: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

"Ah, of course detecting magic!" Colwin says slapping himself on the forehead, [b]"Well done Horfil, I can't believe I didn't think of that, let me help, and it might look better coming from someone not accused if we should find anything."

Spellcraft for anything found: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Spellcraft for anything found: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Spellcraft for anything found: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leotian nods as Colwin whispers about Aldaara being forceful "Yeah she's a nice lady" It may be a little hard to follow how Leo gets from forceful to nice lady. "Even if she is a bit rough, I'm glad to not be against her."

"I find it curious that Grelm is here among the accused. He certainly seems to have the most motive, but do you think that brute of a man has the finess to take a dagger from under a sleeping man's pillow without waking him? He was also heavily injured last night." The halfling rubs his chin "I find it much more likely one of his companions did the deed."

He shrugs his shoulders "Well, let us not jump to conclusions, we should hear from those that accuse what they've witnessed. I'd also like to know what they were doing at the time as it seems strange that so many people would be awake and in the vicinity of the sheriff's room in the middle of the night."


Sheriff Cage sighs at Leotian as he replies, "Yes, yes, of course. There are 4 lined up there. With your friend there, that's 5 people accused of the theft." As Horfil attempts to hand his items to Cage, the sheriff says, "Keep your items, I don't need them. I'm sure if you've taken it, you've hid it in a safe spot anyway. While I may yet go and search your rooms, I seriously doubt I'll find it in such an obvious place. Every one of the suspects claims they are innocent, of course. That is why we have this dilemna -- I can't sort out the lies from the truth right now."

After a brief pause, he continues, "As for Grelm's companions, they've been searched and their whereabouts are accounted for last night. They've been warned not to leave the area."

After Aldaara's quiet confrontation with Grelm, the big man is visibly shaken. He begins to glance at the door nervously now.

Once Horfil completes his incantation and gesturing for Detect Magic. After several moments of intense focus, he (and Colwin) note the following things:
-- Sheriff Cage's chest armor glows faintly of abjuration
-- Grelm has a few items around his waist which glow faintly of transmutation and conjuration (healing).

"OK, let's begin with you, Sara. Why don't you tell us, again, what you saw," says Cage, after waiting for the bard and wizard to finish their work. He points his outstretched hand towards one of the serving girls standing to the side.

"Well, as I said, I saw Grelm and Huckaby" (she points to the man dressed as a farmer), "in the hall outside the sheriff's room last night. At several times.."

Grelm, still acting somewhat nervously, offers, meepishly, "I was nowhere near there."

The farmer quickly steps forward, and says, also somewhat meepishly, "I was a little, um.....drunk last night. I was simply looking for the..um....privy."

The party may investigate any and all statements as they see fit.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Sense Motive vs Grelm: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
Sense Motive vs Huckaby: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
Sense Motive vs Sarah: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Colwin nods and asks Sara,

"When you say you saw Grelm and Huckaby outside the Sheriff's room several, ah, times, do you mean you saw them both together several times? Or that you saw each individually several times? Or that you saw both together upon a number of occasions and both or one seperately? Might I also inquire what you were doing in a position to see them outside the Sheriff's rooms and what time period you were able to see it for?"


As Colwin studies each of the them, he learns that:
- Grelm is almost certainly lying
- Huckaby is sincere
- He has no idea if Sara is sincere

Sara responds to Colwin with, "I mean to say that I saw them individually, on several occasions. I saw them as I made my rounds cleaning up and later when I made sure things were closed and shuttered for the night.."


Leotian nods listening to Sara's account, and Colwin's questions thereafter, he just has one to add "Thank you Sara, at any point did you notice if either man tried to enter the Sheriff's room, or were they simply in the hall?"

He pays close attention to the responses and reactions of each, and keeps an eye on the sheriff as well to see if he may be hiding something.

Sense Motive vs Sheriff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Sense Motive vs Grelm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Sense Motive vs Huckaby: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Sense Motive vs Sara: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Well the first roll is good at least. -2 on any of these if the person isn't human.

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

She is quite pleased with herself that she suggested the "Detect magic" use, but of course, she will not speak of it. Boasting isn't the Bre-ayne way.

The elimination of Grelm's assistants relaxes Kensington. If he did this, it was strictly on his own. Seeing Grelm getting nervous almost pleases her. All that must be done now is to trick him into making two contradictory statements. One one thing can be true at a time, after all.

As she listens to Sara's testimony, Kensington looks at Grelm, calmly, without malice.

"Sir, I apologize that we found ourselves in that horrid display last night. I'm always ready for a good piece of gossip myself, sir, so did you happen to catch any when you were near the sherriff's office last night?"

Kensington waits for Sara to finish, and then she clears her throat.
"What, my dear, exactly, were Grelm and Hucaby doing as you saw them? And one more question, if you'll pardon it. At any time, did you see any of my companions, including myself, leave our rooms until we were summoned?" Kensington adds.

Sense motive: Grelm. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Sense motive: Sara. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"One other quick question, Sara dear. Are you the only one who did the work you did on this floor tonight, or was someone helping you? I ask this, not to cast aspersions on you, but to find out if there is an undiscovered potential witness."

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Investigating was never Aldaara's strong suit. She simply stands back and allows others to ask the questions, while watching their reactions to make her own assumptions.

Sense Motive on Grelm. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Sense Motive on Sara. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Sense Motive on Farmer. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

GM if your waiting for me to respond don't reason why is because I really can't think of anything to say at the moment and this character wasn't made for sense motive checks so carry on with the story and while people are talking he is thinking about the magic on the sheriff and who could have put them on him. To be honest I'm really out of my element with a charismatic person.


Horfil, I wasn't waiting on you, but thanks for letting me know -- I was just busy painting our nursery and fixing our furnace this weekend. As for being out of your element, don't sweat the charisma score so much. To my mind, this game, and especially this PBP format, are more about the chances to roleplay. Please don't feel too constrained by your stats -- effort can go a long way. Keep in mind that diplomacy (and intimidate, among other things), can be used to improve or worsen an NPC's attitude towards you.

To Leotian, Sara responds, somewhat nervously, "I did not see them enter his room. I just mean to say I saw them standing in the hall near his room a few different times during the night."

Leotian is confident that the Sheriff is telling the truth. He does not appear to be hiding anything, although he does seem quite flustered. Unfortunately, Leotian's instincts are failing him regarding reading Grelm, the farmer Huckaby, or Sara.

Kensington, on the other hand, seems to have a better read on Grelm and Sara. She is quite confident that Grelm is withholding something, and that Sara is indeed, telling the truth.

Aldaara also seems to have a read on Sara and the farmer, and a sense that Sara is definitely believing what she is saying, and the farmer is, while somewhat confused, also pretty sure of his story.

At Kensington's question regarding who else was working, Sara responds with, "Well, Merinwaite (the Inn owner) did stay up to help clean the barroom and close the kitchen. But he went to bed about an hour before me. I did not see him after he went to bed. And Doctor Krane was up for a while working on his sheet thing. Other than that, there was no one else up after that except me. And Grelm and Huckaby."

Regarding Kensington's other companions, Sara responds, "And no, I didn't see any of you after you retired to your rooms. I think the Doctor says he did, though." She looks questioningly at the doctor.

With this, the bespectacled man clears his throat, and begins with, "Uhum. Yeah, I see. Well, I uh...ummm, I was up trying to salvage my shroud when I saw that one", at this point he points at Horfil, "walk in from outside, covered in blood and holding that glowing dagger."

Again, feel free to look around for other clues. You're not stuck in this room. The Sheriff will insist on going along with you, though.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Sense Motive on Doctor: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

Colwin glares at the Doctor,

"Really, so you saw a blood soaked man walk in from outside and, what immediately alerted the Sheriff? But no, you could not have done that or else the sheriff would have been able to catch him red handed, surely? Presumably you decided to leave it until morning so that he could have a chance to wash off all the blood and hide the dagger - how very plausible," he says every word dripping sarcasm.

"Or I, ah, suppose you could have been bribed or coerced into lying, I am sure the Company of the, ah, Blackened Bedsheets can be very intimidating - though its hard for me to see it since the last time I saw them half of their number were writhing at my feet covered in grease and burning. But then they are clearly liars, and, ah, any man who would lie about something to take anothers possessions or endanger their good reputation deserves that and more."

I don't have the modifiers to pull this off, but I'm trying anyway :)

Intimidate: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (6) - 2 = 4

*sigh*

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"Three possibilities. One, Horfil is guilty. Two, Horfil is innocent and the doctor is lying. Three, the doctor saw an illusion. Magic can do that, quite easily."

Sense motive on the doctor: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

"Good doctor, exactly when did you see Horfil? And what was he doing? Did the blood he was covered in leave a trail? Did Horfil speak, or did you speak to him? And where was he going to?"

With that much blood on Horfil, it should have left a trail wherever he walked. The blood should still be there, since without bleach blood is almost impossible to thoroughly clean, and will be a dead giveaway as to his guilt. If a blood trail isn't there, it strongly suggests an illusion spell.)

"Sara, dear, did you or anyone else clean up any blood this morning or late last night? Did anyone smell bleach?"


Colwin has no clue about the doctor's motives or sense of truth in his story.

At Colwin's indignant attempt at intimidation of the doctor, the man does seem to shrink a little and becomes somewhat defensive. "What? Am I supposed to police every little activity that goes on? I am but a simple scholar whose work was ruined by you and your companions. I am not a lawman paid to keep tabs on what everyone is doing. I did not even realize the knife was stolen until this morning. And besides, your friend had no qualms about beating up the big man earlier in the night. He had blood on him then, and did anyone do anything then? No!"

After his short tirade toward Colwin, he turns to Kensington and says, "I do not know the exact time I saw him. As I've already said, he was walking in from outside. It was too dark to see if he left a trail of blood, and I did not speak to him. I do not know if he even knew I saw him".

After the doctor finishes speaking, Sara says to Kensington, "I did not see any blood, and I smelled no bleach".


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

"As I recall Doctor your work was ruined when we were set upon, you were jostled, and, ah, dropped your work into alcohol and flame. It would seem fairer to blame the assailants rather than the victims, for that is what we were, despite the fact we proved too much for our agressors. I hope you will pardon me if my words seem harsh, but I know my friend did not do this, it simply does not make sense." Colwin says, evidently trying for a calm he does not entirely feel.

"Was there perhaps anyone who might verify your story? Do we have any corpse, or suggestion as to where this blood might have come from?"

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"If that is the case, then I believe you should search for a trail of dried blood, good sherriff. It would probably be wise to begin at the front door and work toward Horfil's room, but the entire hotel should be searched. Blood is solid proof, of either guilt if it is present, or innocence if it is not."


"Well if Horfil did indeed come in covered in blood there should certainly be at least traces of it around. As the doctor said it was dark, so there must have been quite a bit of blood if he could clearly see it. My good doctor, did Horfil walk right in the front door? Also you failed to answer Kensington's question on where he was going, we should check the destination for signs of blood as well. I'm curious whom he may have killed though... every seems to be accounted for, the sheriff is alive and well, and Grelm seems also not to have been killed. Why would he go through the trouble of using stealth to get the dagger, then go out get blood all over himself, and come back?"

He moves over to the entrance "I'm a bit of a tracker, I should be able to follow a trail if I can find a trace of it. Blood of course, but even fresh footprints from last night." He starts searching the entrance for any traces of blood, footprints, or anything that could point to Horfil, going over it a few times in case he missed something.

Perception searching the entrance.1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Perception searching the entrance.1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Perception searching the entrance.1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

"There wasn't that much blood on me after I sliced Grelm was there? I mean I cut him in the back as he was running away, granted yes there is blood there but not enough for me to be covered by it. I even cleaned off what blood got on my blade in the grass..."Great now I've done it I just told them where a blood spot is so if there happens to be a trail after it I maybe done for.

"Now like I have said previously I regard daggers as something that is beneath my skill as a swordsman why would I even want to sneak around looking for one with an enchantment?"

Diplomacy towards the NPC group: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Yay! If I had to choose one it would be the sheriff.
Sense Motive towards the Doctor: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Darn -.- another horrible roll


The doctor glares as Colwin in silent anger. He stammers for a moment and then seems to calm himself before saying, "Well, of course there isn't anyone who can verify my story. And of course I have no idea about where the blood may have come from. As for who's to blame for my damaged shroud, I've already taken it up with the sheriff."

The doctor turns to Leotian, "As I said, he came in the front door. He went down the hallway, I presume to his room. As I said, it's not my job to trail each and every one of you."

Leotian searches the entrance thoroughly, and finds no traces of blood or bleach or anything out of the ordinary.

The sheriff, after hearing Horfil's explanation regarding his distaste for daggers seems to nod and think for a moment. He then motions to the stable boy, "Tab, tell us what you saw. Maybe that will add something useful to this investigation since we still don't seem to have any real answers"

The young stable boy steps forward and says, "Well, last night, when I was making my rounds of the stables, I saw Lorkyhay, the tinker, creeping about beneath the sheriff's windows."

The gnome dressed as a tinker quickly pipes up, "Well maybe he did, but I was just going for a late night constitutional"

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

The gnome's presence is quite interesting to Kensington. Gnomes are famous for their talents with illusion.

"Where did you go, good gnome? And is there anyone who can confirm your statement? Do you know Mr. Grelm in any way?"

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

"There's no need to get defensive doctor, we're only trying to learn the whole story. Of course you're not expected to trail everyone, but after a fight over the dagger last night, which also affected you I thought you may have paid closer attention to someone entering covered in blood, and carrying a glowing dagger; or at least inform the Sheriff."

Leotian stands from where he was searching the entrance "I haven't found anything out of the ordinary, if someone did come in covered in blood it has been very carefully cleaned, though I see no traces of bleach being used either. I suspect magic is afoot, but as Ken suggested I'll continue searching other areas as well." Since the doctor said Horfil went down the hallway he'll search there next.

Perception searching the hall: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Perception searching the hall: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Perception searching the hall: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

He pauses in his search, and looks among the accused "Are any of you adept in magic?"

Sense motive Vs Grelm:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Sense motive Vs Huckaby:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Sense motive Vs Lorkyhay:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Sense motive Vs Tall Woman:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

"Sheriff if possible I would also like to get into your room to search there."


Lorkyhay smiles at Kensington as he says, "I went outdoors, of course. I'd had a few too many drinks and the inn's spicy food got to me, so after I couldn't find the privy, I went where I had to. As for confirming my statement, ask the boy. And no, I don't know that big man at all."

As Leotian continues his search for traces of blood, he finds none. He can be confident in his search.

After Leotian asks the group about their skills in magic, all but the gnome respond with a "no." Leotian senses no deception on their part. The gnome, Lorkyhay responds with, "Well, I wouldn't say 'adept', but I do know a few cantrips and um...tricks. Helps in my line of work you understand." Leotian can't seem to get a read on whether he is being sincere or not.

After Leotian asks the Sheriff about visiting his room to search further, Cage agrees and leads the party to the door of his room.

Anyone caring to study the door to his room may make a perception check, of course


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

sorry for double post my internet was being stupid and I didn't know if it work or not use the first one not the second.

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Perception greater than 10:
You notice something yellowish and recently dried in the corner, near the door frame

Perception greater than 15:
You notice a run and spot of dried urine in the corner, near the door frame

Silver Crusade

Female Human Paladin 1

Aldaara follows about, somewhat absent-minded as she never was good at paying attention to detail. She remembered getting chided constantly during her training as a Paladin, but simply never picked up the skill. Her abilities rested on the battlefield, and sometimes during negotiations and social situations. She believes the investigation is a waste of time, as she's already made up her mind as to who she believes the culprit is.


To anyone entering the Sheriff's room:

You see a fairly spartan room. A few clothes hang in a small armoire. An open book titled "Law and Chaos: A treatise for small town inn security management" lays on the bedside table. The room like reasonably well kept, and the bed is somewhat made.

Perception greater than 8:
You will notice small marks on the sheriff's bed, near his pillow. The marks are somewhat tacky and appear in pairs or groups of three. You will also notice these marks near the windowsill.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin moves into the room and glances about, spotting the small marks he says,

"Sheriff, any idea what these small marks are by your pillow? There seem to be some near the windowsill to. They look tacky? Perhaps created by some creature with sticky padding? Could such a beast have climbed in through the window and taken the dagger?"

He wracks his brains to think of a possible cause for such marks, or a creature that might have made them.

GM could you please specify whether it counts as shadowey when we need to make perception checks, as it gives me +3.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Any Knowledge check that might suggest the origin of the marks?


Colwin Throssle wrote:

GM could you please specify whether it counts as shadowey when we need to make perception checks, as it gives me +3.

Sure thing, although they aren't in this case.

Colwin Throssle wrote:
Any Knowledge check that might suggest the origin of the marks?

You can make 2 separate checks here...Wisdom, to see if you sense anything additional about the marks, and Knowledge(nature) to see if you can actually identify them.

Wisdom Check greater than 15:
The tracks look like mud, with perhaps a hint of dung. The tracks on the window sill appear to contain small bits of hay.

Knowledge(Nature) greater than 13:
The tracks look like the footprints of a bird.

Knowledge(Nature) greater than 18:
The tracks look like the footprints of a relatively large bird of prey.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Wisdom: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Don't have K. Nature yet sadly.

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Wisdom Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Noticing the dried urine on the door frame Leotian remarks "Well it looks like someone did indeed have trouble finding the privy."

When entering the room he looks around, then examines the markings, he shakes his head when Colwin asks about something climbing in the window "Climbed no, but flown yes, I'm certain these marks are made by a bird's claw, but I'm afraid with just this I can't tell what bird. As to why it's tacky... I can't really tell, must be something stuck to the its feet." He looks to the sheriff "Did you by chance leave your window open last night?"


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin sets Gibbeous down upon the floor beside one of the prints comparing its size and shape to the barn owl's talons.


Colwin Throssle wrote:

Colwin sets Gibbeous down upon the floor beside one of the prints comparing its size and shape to the barn owl's talons.

One might say they were a spot-on match.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

"Well this is getting ridiculous. Rerst assured that if my owl committed the deed I would nto be fool enough to bring him back here when we examined the room, let alone to point out the blasted marks myself. And yet, at present, I must admit a reasonable explanation eludes me. I set Gibbeous to watch us last night, and he is my familiar not some random bird - let me ask him."

The wizard points to the tracks and then points to Gibbeous, conveying quizicalness through their bond.

Anyone else thinking the world could do with one less Inn and one more blazing inferno ;) Just kidding - mostly.


Male Elf Dervish Dancer Bard/2 | HP 12/12 (5NL) | AC: 13, Touch: 13, FF: 10 | Fort: -1, Ref: +5, Will: +2 | Init +5 | Perception +2

Well that was a nice twist glad the heat is off of me now sorry that it is now on your Colwin...

Silver Crusade

F Half-Orc Sorcerer/1

"So we're either looking for a magician or a werebeing. Very well. Did anyone see Colwin leave the room at any time? Are there any other known owls around? I mean, does anyone know of any place a parliament of owls was recently seen?"

Lantern Lodge

Male Halfling Ranger/1

Leoian nods to Kensington's words "Or perhaps someone with a well trained owl the same size and type as Gibbeous? Unfortunately birds are notoriously hard to track only leaving traces where they set down. On the other hand talons aren't very well suited to holding daggers, and probably woulnd't carry it far. After Colwin hears from Gibbeous, we may want to check outside below the window for clues someone may have been waiting for the bird there. Also if he'll allow we could examine Gibbeous' feet to see if they have the same tackiness as the marks it could be a good indication of whether or they were indeed made by him."

If there's no objection to examining Gibbeous' feet:

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Cage answers Leotian, "I left it open just a crack. It was a little warm last night".

If Leotian examines Gibbeous's feet:
You find nothing unusual. No traces of brown or dung or anything similar.


Male Human Wizard (Air Elementalist) 5; AC 14, 12 touch, 12 flatfooted; HP 43/43; Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 4; Initiative +8; Perception +16

Colwin radiates contentment through the link as Leotian examines Gibbeous's feet.

GM should I respond for Gibbeous? He's Colwin's familiar, but since th cannot actually directly understand each other at this point my cntrolof himissomewhat limited.


Colwin Throssle wrote:

Colwin radiates contentment through the link as Leotian examines Gibbeous's feet.

GM should I respond for Gibbeous? He's Colwin's familiar, but since th cannot actually directly understand each other at this point my cntrolof himissomewhat limited.

That's up to you. He *did* ask if he could look first :)

201 to 250 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / It happened along a road one day. . . All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.