Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Inner Sea Sandbox: Suspicious Minds

Game Master Garden Tool

A sandbox-style Inner Sea campaign featuring a suspiciously-non-good-aligned party of five antiheroes.

GoogleDocs Maps


151 to 200 of 792 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

HP: | AC: | T: | FF: | CMD: | F: | R: | W: | Perc: | SM: | Init:

Syndir will eagerly follow behind the others who are much more familiar with the building.


Male Human Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 3

Seamus heads up the stairs with the rest of his new "companions". Shoving his scimitar into its sheathe, he wonders how this will end but can't help but laugh. Heading up the stairs when we're trying to flee? I guess we better hope we all sprout wings in a moment.

Forgot about that, yep I would grab it before heading up.


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

Jelani recovers his staff from Kamlann before the group proceeds upstairs. At Seamus' comment on the need for wings, Jelani smirks and says: "Sadly, I do not yet possess the magics that would allow that." He assumes Kamlann has a plan, as leaping from building to building wasn't something that came naturally to him.

Cheliax

As everyone hustles up the stairs, it is the normally fleet-footed Syndir that falls behind.

As Syndir hustles upstairs, a terrible realization dawns on him. The stone is in his pocket. He never got rid of it. But... didn't he? Syndir felt sure that he had, but he could feel it among his possessions, weighing him down. A backwards glance reveals no stone on the floor. It must be in his pocket still. But how? Hadn't he dropped it?

Syndir is moving at 15 feet, still. Not much slower than the guards will be moving, by the sound of their armored footsteps, but slow enough to pose a serious problem to his escape.

As the bulk of the party (travelling twice as fast as Syndir can) reaches the third-floor, Syndir is still hustling up the staircase on the second-floor level. Everyone present hears the front door burst open, downstairs. Someone shouts in Osiriani.

in Osiriani:
"Clear! A man at either door! You four, upstairs!"

The upstairs windows are closed and locked from this side. There is a convenient window for third-story escape overlooking the eatery to the east (top of the map), and another window to the north overlooking the more-distant gambling hall. Opening a door or window is a move action, as is unlocking one. There is no room for a ten-foot running start unless someone can both shatter the window (it's too small to run through, even if open) and move a bed (the upstairs beds are positioned more or less in front of the windows).

With a running start, it'd be a DC 10 Acrobatics check to clear the small gap between the tavern and the eatery. Without a running start, the DC is 20, instead. There is a less convenient window to the north that overlooks the gambling hall, but that 15-foot gap requires a DC 15 check, or a DC 30 check witout a running start. There is no furniture in the way of that window, although it is shut and locked, like the other window is. The bed in front of the first window is heavy, but any of you could push or drag it with your Strength scores. Doing so is a full-round action. If everyone can make it to the rooftops (or, less desirably, to the ground) we'll start a chase scene per the APG chase rules. Alternately, anyone and everyone is free to pursue alternative options, or to do something else (like try and help Syndir, speak to the guards, bluff or stall, or anything else you can think of.

We're not operating in intiative order again yet, but I'd like everyone to give me their actions on a round-by-round basis. In other words, don't take more than one round's worth of actions at a time. Assume that everyone is about one move action away from either window, the bed, or the door to the hallway adjoining the stairs.

Farid, Jelani, Kamlann, Seamus, and Syndir: what will you do?

EDIT: Pushing or dragging a bed takes two free hands.

Anyone who rolls less than a 5 (or less than a 10, without a running start) on their Acrobatics check can attempt a Climb check to catch themselves. The DC would be 45. Anyone who makes it within 5 feet of the far rooftop (a slanted surface with an easier DC, per the Climb rules) but doesn't quite make the jump could try a DC 10 Climb check to catch the opposite rooftop's edge. Catching yourself doesn't necessarily take any free hands, but climbing back up will take two free hands.

EDIT: Syndir, you're four move actions away from the rest of party. Remember that Acrobatics checks made to jump are penalized for characters with speed values less than 30 feet. You are moving at 15.


HP: | AC: | T: | FF: | CMD: | F: | R: | W: | Perc: | SM: | Init:

Syndir cursed himself for ever touching the stone. Its weight was a burden beyond his understanding although he knew its secret was vital to a greater mystery. At the pirate's mention of wings a whisper of promises slithered through his mind unbidden...oh to fly again wyrmling...we shall have wings yet again and see our prey tremble in fear from on high...why does the hatchling carry an egg?...such a heavy egg at that...he crushed the negative thoughts with his Id and struggled to keep up taking the time to do nothing but move.


Male Human Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 3

Seamus moves to the bed in front of the window, grabbing the baseboard with both hands and yanking. The squeal of wood scraping the floor is loud but at this point subtlety wasn't really an option. Glancing back he noticed Syndir struggling up the stairs. Looking to Farid he grunts. You better figure out why your man is draggin' ass or it's the stockades for him and probably all of us.

Full round to move the bed away from the window with the lower Acrobatics DC.

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

"Jelani!" Kamlann hisses, trying to be quiet and not succeeding too well. "The mage hand spell. Can you cast it today?" As he speaks, the magus reaches into his pack and withdraws a length of rope with a grappling hook attached to the end.


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

"Of course." Jelani replies quickly, the tone of his voice indicates that he thinks it was a bit silly to even ask. "I foresaw that we would need it today. I will guide your throw." Jelani quietly intones the arcane words, then nods to Kamlann when the spell is ready for use.


Male Human Barbarian 1 - Rogue 2

"If someone moves the bed I can jump it".

Farid is only half paying attention as he looks back out to the hall to determine whether Syndir will make it up or if the guards will reach him first.

Cheliax

Farid, someone will need to destroy the window in order for you to get a running start. Even opened, the window would require you to squeeze through (see the "squeezing" rules). It's too small to take a running jump through it.

Cheliax

OOC:
Alright, so it sounds like in the first round:

Seamus has moved the bed in front of the east window, Kamlann has drawn his grappling hook, Jelani has cast mage hand, and Syndir has double-moved halfway to the rest of the party.

Both windows are still whole, closed, and locked, and Syndir is still two move actions away.

I still need a "first round" action from Farid, then we can progress to the next round of actions.

Silver Crusade

Human Teacher

Dotted.


Male Human Barbarian 1 - Rogue 2

Farid will open the window we have determine we will climb out of.

Cheliax

I believe that the idea right now was to use the north-facing window overlooking the fifteen-foot gap between the third floor of the inn and the combination bar-and-gambling-hall.

With that done:

A shout from downstairs, in the common tongue:

"Wake up! You! I said wake up! HEY!"

Then, in Osiriani:

in Osiriani:
A different voice than the one before, shouts:
"Sir? Got a hatch, behind the bar. Storeroom underneath the northeast corner here, I think."

Then, in a familiar voice:
"Ok, good. Leave it alone, until I... hey, upstairs, you hear that? You four, hustle. Panil, leave the front door alone for now and put this drunk in chains. Then back to your post and keep an eye on the street. Everyone; MOVE!"

Heavy footsteps begin to clomp up the stairs.

I need another round's worth of actions from everyone.


HP: | AC: | T: | FF: | CMD: | F: | R: | W: | Perc: | SM: | Init:

Syndir cursed under his breath as he could hear the men downstairs. he couldnt understand a word of it but the tone was proof enough that he had to get moving. He strained to shuffle faster as he railed internally...if you want us to grow into a mighty wyrm then help me get out of here...are you there you fork tongued bastard?...sssso now the hatchling wantsss to ssspeeak....you already know the ansswer...burn! burn! burn!...smoke, ash and char are the road to sssalvation...
That the voice had answered almost stopped him in his tracks but the advice certainly did...it worked once... He turned and with an hiss from his lips fire leaped from his hands aiming towards the floors. As the flames died he wasted no more time turning and again shuffling forward.

Cast Burning Hands hoping to start a fire and then move closer towards the others


Male Human Barbarian 1 - Rogue 2

After unlocking and opening the window Farid will head to the door to the room to check on Syndir's progress as Farid has no plans to leave without him.

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

Kamlann hands the grappling hook to Seamus and growls, "Don't miss, Haggrathy," before taking up the slack end of the rope and looping it around the headboard of the bed to brace himself. I don't want to tie this off - I'm hoping to keep my rope - so the plan is for Kamlann to anchor this end of the rope while people are crossing it.

Cheliax

Hm. Well, "catching fire" rules say that instantaneous spells don't catch characters on fire, but says nothing about objects, and burning hands does say that flammables in the area catch fire. Does anyone have access to the "spreading fire" rules from AP 30?

Andoran

Human (Minkai) Samurai (sword saint) 7 (Order of the Warrior)

I do. They don't establish rules for determining whether a building catches on fire in the first place - they basically say it's up to the GM - but they're pretty detailed on what happens once the first gets going.

Cheliax

Could you PM me a copy of the rules for how fire spreads? If you don't have the .pdf and can't copy-paste, perhaps you could just paraphrase? If they seem appropriate, I'd like to use them. Otherwise I may just use the naval fire rules / catching fire rules as a baseline.


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

Jelani is waiting for the throw before his actions.


Male Human Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 3

Seamus grabs the hook and swings it around a bit to get a feel for the weight. Just like fishing, eh? Swinging it one more time he heaves it towards the opposite roof.

Don't know what AC I'm trying to hit but here we go.
Ranged attack roll with the hook to hit a suitable ledge or outcrop on the other roof: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

The base AC is 5, and I think there's a -2 range penalty (because of the 10 feet increment). So you should be fine.


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

Jelani struggles to find something useful to do. The bed was clear and Kamlann was already bracing the rope. Seeing pretty much everything done taken care of, Jelani decides to be the first one to cross, as the threat of the guards coming up the stairs was a concern.

Climb Check: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Cheliax

As I'd mentioned before, you were all a move-action away from either window, so at best Farid could have moved foward and destroyed a window last round, but not moved (a move action), unlocked (a move action), and opened (a move action) a window. I'll assume this is what he did, which makes sense given that he is a barbarian, and time is a factor.

Syndir successfully sets fire to the wooden staircase. The light from the flickering flames are visible from the hallway. Hustling up the remaining stairs and rounding the hallway, Syndir is now within the party's line of sight.

Kamlann anchors his rope, and hands the grappling hook off to Seamus.

Seamus' grabs the offered hook, and his throw secures the rope.

Jelani moves to the window (a move action) and hustles across (a move action). Hanging from the taut rope and climbing hand-over-hand, the half-elf tries not to look down. The climb isn't difficult by any means, but the three-story height suddenly seems very intimidating.

In the street below, a guard rounds the corner from the back alley, and shouts "HEY!" in the common tongue. Fortunately, he makes no move for his crossbow, just yet.

Meanwhile, the guards on the stairs sound very, very close now, (though there's a small fire between you and them).

Farid, you have your axe drawn, so remember to put it away as a move action (or drop it and leave it, as a free action) before climbing (it takes two hands to climb). With the window already destroyed and the line already in place, you could climb across now. You did mention that you weren't leaving without Syndir, though, so I'll wait for your actions. Also, I'd like to remind everyone that Climbing is a move action, not a part of a move action. You'll need to dedicate an entire move action to climbing. Just like Jelani did it.

Jelani, your base speed is 30, so you'll move 15 across the rope. That puts you at the opposite ledge. It'll be another easy Climb check (DC 5) to get off the rope and up onto the opposite roof, next round. We aren't in combat, so "sharing spaces" incurs no penalties just yet, if anyone ends up climbing across in the meantime.

Syndir, you're going to have some trouble getting across. Your base speed is halved right now, and climbing will halve it again. You'll be climbing across this fifteen-foot gap at a rate of five feet per move action, and that's once you get there. You might want to brainstorm an alternate solution (or hide... inside of this burning building) Good luck!

I need a round of actions from Farid. FYI, everyone, Shisumo was kind enough to give me a synopsis of the "spreading fire" rules, which essentially include a randomized table that determines the speed and direction of a spreading fire. Contact with the fire otherwise follows the usual "catching fire" rules. I'll determine the fire's spread at the start of each round, though with Syndir rounding the corner, you likely won't be aware of the fire's condition.


Male Human Barbarian 1 - Rogue 2

Farid will put his axe away and look at Syndir motioning for him to come along but will not make a move to climb just yet.

Cheliax

Okay. Farid and Seamus are at the window; Jelani is at the far end of the rope-line; Kamlann is a five-foot step away from the window, anchoring the line; and Syndir is ten feet down the hall, (which is about fifteen feet from the center of the room, or about twenty-five feet from the window). Syndir, you can take a double move or run action straight out the window, if you're willing to risk a 30-foot drop. An Acrobatics check can soften the fall. Only Acrobatics checks made to jump are penalized by a slower-than-30-foot movement speed, so checks made to balance on the line, jump a gap, or soften a fall can be rolled at your full bonus.

Anyone (except Jelani) can take a move action (preferrably once Syndir is inside the room) to move to the door, and/or another move ction to close the room door. It'd be yet another move action to lock it. That could buy time. Time to get creative. At least two guards are one action away from having you in their sights, and your rooftop migration has been spotted.

Everyone can hear booted footsteps reach the top of the stairs, now, with Syndir only halfway down the hall. Despite the fire, there are guards literally just around the corner, now. You can hear more shouting in Osiriani.

in Osiriani:
"Fire! By Asmodeus! Baiin, with me. Rest of you get downstairs and fetch some water before this whole place goes up! Hustle!"

At the same time, the guard below Jelani - who is very young by the sound of him - shouts in Osiriani as well.

in Osiriani:
"Ah, help! Someone get out here! They're... someone's climbing out the window. They're going across the rooftops! Harl? Help!"


Male Human Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 3

Seamus swings his legs over what remained of the window and then grabs the rope in his callused hands. Just like climbing the rigging on the ship.

Moving with a practiced motions he tries to cross the gap behind Jelani and then haul himself up onto the opposite roof.

Since I'm right at the opening having thrown the grapple, my plan is Move action to cross the rope, second move action to pull myself up on to the roof.
Climb check to cross: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Climb check to pull myself up:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Cheliax

The DC of a knotted rope without a wall to brace against is 5, so both checks succeed. Seamus is across, and Jelani almost is.

Farid, Jelani, Kamlann, and Syndir, what are your actions?


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

The staggering height didn't scare Jelani. He knew his magic would protect him even if he fell, which he did not. But then another guard rounds the corner and spots their egress. Jelani hisses in annoyance. He might still be able to salvage this. Jelani quickly intones the words of a spell.

Casting Charm Person. Will Save DC 14

Cheliax

Jelani, that's going to require an initiative roll, since the guard can tell you're casting a spell, and will likely want to take an offensive or defensive action of his own. Also, you have a move action left, this round. Would you like to make a Climb check to get onto the roof of the gambling hall, with Seamus?

Jelani's initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Guard's initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1

Guard's Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Success. The guard is charmed.

The guard looks dumbstruck, then frowns. He waves his arms at Jelani, and hisses, in hushed Common: "Er... oh, gods. What am I saying? I'm sorry, my friend! Gods, but I'm a fool!"

Then, louder, in Osiriani:

in Osiriani:
"Er, wait! They're going back! I've scared them off of the rooftop escape! It's... it's okay! Get 'round inside!"

Those of you who both understand Osiriani and want to make a Sense Motive check may do so, to get an idea as to how good (or bad) of a Bluff check that was for the guard, and thus how likely the other guards are to believe it.

Farid, Kamlann, and Syndir, what are your actions?


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

Jelani is going to stay outside in case anyone needs a casting of Feather Fall through his bonded item.

Sense Motive on the guard: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Jelani nods to the one he charmed,then replies in common. "No need for apologies friend, but you might want to assist them, as I believe the building is on fire."

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

Kamlann is essentially going to delay until Farid and Syndir get into the room and either get across the rope or come up with a better plan. I have one in mind, but I'm waiting to see if they do.

Cheliax

Jelani: for the record, you'd still be outside if you were on the roof of the gambling hall. You'd just be standing instead of climbing.


HP: | AC: | T: | FF: | CMD: | F: | R: | W: | Perc: | SM: | Init:

Syndir turned again and with a hissed incantation flames shot towards the floor of the hallway before he slowly shuffled his way into the room

Again casting Burning Hands before moving.

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

"What. Is. Taking. So. Long?!" Kamlann snarls in frustration. "Get out that window, now!"


HP: | AC: | T: | FF: | CMD: | F: | R: | W: | Perc: | SM: | Init:

Syndir wonders if the dark haired man is yelling at him or not and realizes that not all are privy to his predicament.

in Kellish - The stone is slowing me down! I can feel it dragging at me now!


Male HP:9/17, AC15/To11/FF14, F4/R2/W9 Half-elf (Half Garundi) Diviner 2/Cleric of Nethys 1

Right, gotta finish crossing. Move action then.
Climb Check: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Well, that's a failure, so no progress for me.


Male Human Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 3

Seeing Jelani struggling, Seamus reaches down and helps hoist the man up. They're going to get caught if they can't hurry up over there.

Climb check to aid Jelani: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
or if it's more appropriate
Strength check to simply haul him up: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

"Then get rid of it! We have to move!" Kamlann snaps back. Sorry, gotta get through the obvious bits...

Cheliax

@ Seamus: You'll have to wait until next round. You've spent a round's worth of actions, already. We're not in initiative, but we're going roughly round-by-round (until/unless combat or a chase scene erupts).

Syndir's flames ignite the hallway. Jelani can see these new fires clearly from his position at the end of the rope-line. He struggles to climb up, but can't quite reach the rooftop ledge. As Syndir joins his new partners-in-crime, the guard in the alley below where Jelani dangles gives the half-elf a companionable nod of agreement.

Farid and Kamlann still need to give me their actions. Kamlann, Syndir is in the room now. Everyone is together.

Seamus is on the roof of the gambling hall, and Jelani is on the rope at the end of the line. Farid and yourself are next to the window, and you're anchoring the line. Syndir is in the center of the room, a single move action away from the window.

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

Kamlann still doesn't realize how screwed Syndir is. As soon as he does, I'll have something else to do.


Male Human Barbarian 1 - Rogue 2

"Give me this stone, I move faster than you!" Farid moves towards Syndir to take the stone so the wizard can move faster.

Cheliax

Farid needs only five-foot step to get adjacent to Syndir, and can "ready" to take the stone, if it's offered or dropped.

Kamlann?

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

This assumes that Syndir does - and in fact is able to - hand off the stone to Farid...

"Fine! Whatever!" Kamlann barks. "You! Qadiran! Get across the rope now! You, boy! Get over there and grab hold of the rope!" As soon as Syndir crosses, Kamlann looses the rope from the headboard, praying to Asmodeus as he does. Lord Below, let Your flames defend me that I may be repaid by those who have placed these burdens on me... Hoping the fire has bought enough time, Kamlann heads for the window himself, wrapping the rope around his arm twice to brace it.

Cheliax

Syndir has acted this "round," so he won't be able to take the stone until next round. In the meantime, will Kamlann just wait?

Cheliax

Male Human Magus 3

Pretty much.

Cheliax

As your party struggles to escape, two guards round the corner. You don't know what the fire around the corner (on the staircase) is doing... but the flames in the hallway begin to spread to the south end of the building. Down the hall and away from your room.

The fire in the hall spreads ten feet to the south.

The guards backpedal a bit, and shout in the native tongue.

in Osiriani:
"Damn it! Water! We have to get more water!"

Outnumbered, with the building on fire, the guards do not pursue you... but the man shouting the orders stares Kamlann, Syndir, and Farid down as his partner takes the stairs.

"I've seen your faces," he says, in the common language.

"you'll all be executed! Publically drowned. You'll be drowned for this!"

Turning to run, the last guard hustles down the stairs at breakneck speed.

I need a new round of actions from everyone. Jelani is at the end of the rope. Seamus is on the roof of the gambling hall, adjacent to Jelani. Kamlann is at the window (which has been completely destroyed), and Farid is five feet away from the window, adjacent to Syndir. Syndir is in the center of the room, about ten feet from the window.


HP: | AC: | T: | FF: | CMD: | F: | R: | W: | Perc: | SM: | Init:

The Kelishite shook his head in disgust at their predicament. He knew they were innocent but would still be stuck with whatever crimes these local guards wanted. And he also knew he would never allow himself to be captured.

There's no time to look for the stone now Farid. Let's get out of this building first.

He reached into his haversack and called for one of his potions as he moved closer to the window.


Male Human Barbarian 1 - Rogue 2

Farid nods to Syndir and heads to the window looking to make sure it is clear to climb. Farid will wait for Kamlann to move and then will start climbing so I assume that farid will be in the room for at least one more round.

151 to 200 of 792 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Garden Tool's Suspicious Minds Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.