Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

In Service To Korvosa

Game Master GM Idyll

A Curse of the Crimson Throne PBP Adventure


51 to 100 of 292 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Grax

Spoiler:
The rolls were just flavor. I doubted she could have figured anythign out. "Sorry, but it is just beyond me, I am afraid. Hopefully when you hear the noises again, I will be around and can try to help interpret that. Now Graxlo, if you sneak by them well enough, you do not have to waste the time and energy of putting them in the ground. You can get what you need, and be gone before they know what has happened. Or at least, that is what I have ...heard, you know."


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1
Andre Cyre wrote:
Garridan Krale wrote:

"Glad to meet you, Pai.", Krale says shortly before Andre tosses aside his food.

Garridan looks a touch irritated. "Food's still probably better than what dad's eating..."
"If that were the case, don't you reckon this mess hall would be a bit more crowded? And I'm terribly sorry m'lord doesn't find the food to his liking; perhaps there was a mix-up in the kitchens and the chef will retrieve the roast venison from the prison where it was mislaid."
"If you got something you want to say Garridan, then say it." Andre growls from across the table. "The hall's empty because the foods bad, and people would rather eat on their own time and dime then this pig slop. And don't call me m'lord, I work for a living." Reaching for his tankard Andre takes a long drink of water before he reaches into his belt pouch and retrieves some tobacco and starts to roll it into a cigarette. "I know how the city works Garridan. Wear this cloak around town and don't be surprised if the local eateries gives you free meals. Everyone knows It's good to be friendly with the authorities. Or at least the wise ones do."

"What I was saying, if you didn't quite catch it, is that this food may not be to your gourmet standards, but it remains edible food. More than what some people are enjoying tonight in this very city- which I am also more than familiar with. Throwing down your spoon like a child won't get you something better. It's your right to go hungry if you choose, but my meal will go down easier without having to listen to you griping about it."

Garridan takes a measured sip from his cup.
"And if the rest of the watch isn't eating here, more power to 'em. They've finished their training, it's their right. What I meant was that if the guard were as desperate as you claim, there would be a lot more recruits sharing this fine meal with us. So, I choose to believe we may have some potential. And I was just taking the piss out of you, by the way."


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Pai:
"Well perhaps we'll make a good team eh? You sneak around while I actually do something"
Graxlo laughs and claps Pai on the shoulder, showing her it's all for fun.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Grax

Spoiler:
"Oh har dee har har, very funny. I suppose we might be given the opportunity to test your hypothesis before everything is said and done."

Turning to the others, the gnome prepares to excuse herself. "Before you two get in a fistfight, I am going to go let my hair down and get some rest. I am exhausted and not used to this kind of training, so I plan on going to sleep.


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

Using a burning candle to light his cigarette, Andre stands and gestures with it to the departing gnome. "The girl has a point, I'm not getting drummed out here on the first day. I've Too much is at stake. I'll see you guys tomorrow."


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Allysen finishes eating a few minutes later and barely stifles a yawn. She gives everyone at the table a tired smile and says,

"I think Pai has the right idea. I'm going to get some sleep. The sergeant said bright and early tomorrow, after all. Have a good night."

With that, she gathers her dishes, and puts them in the tub to be washed and goes off to the barracks to sleep.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus nods as the man leaves and stands for Pai.
He speaks to Graxlo in

Dwarven:
Magus then. Stick to yet fightin' magic at least please. Yer new friend has a trickster's look about her.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Turning over her shoulder as she was walking away, Pai spoke in perfect dwarven toward Angus:

Angus and other dwarven speakers

Spoiler:
"You say that like it is a bad thing, Angus..."

Without waiting for a response she heads off to her sleeping quarters, ready to rest up for the next day's challenges.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo stays stonefaced for a minute, then when the others leave he smacks the back of Angus's head and whispers "Ye damn fool! I've been trying all me languages out to know whats safe for us to converse in. Now we know there's at least two of em that speak dwarven, and since I don't understand giant and you don't understand the half dozen languages I speak we're stuck" He grabs his books and starts storming off, then pauses "The only magic I care about is fighting magic, everything else is smoke and mirrors. THIS magic is where I'll get power from" He walks off, still messing with his maulaxe.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

Finding himself alone at the mess table, Krale just sits back for a minute.. waiting until it won't be too awkward to follow after to the bunks.
"So much for making friends."

He clears his dishes and heads off to for a night's rest.


The next morning comes far sooner than you would have liked. Unceremoniously, you are ordered out of bed and out into yard for morning exercises.

When you make your way outside, you see that the morning exercises are with the already-enlisted guardsmen and women - the 10 recruits are sent to the back of the mass and ordered to watch and follow as best they're able as the legion engages in aerobic and martial exercises.

Everyone please make a DC10 Fortitude Check. If you fail this check, you will be fatigued for the day, and must take the fatigued penalty on subsequent rolls.

After exercises, you're led into the mess hall for a quick breakfast. Again, many of the enlisted men and women don't follow, as they head out on patrol or move around the Citadel performing their functions. Breakfast is a short affair, consisting of a warm grainy meal, klava (a coffe-like substance) and water.

After you finish eating, you're all instructed to go back outside - including Pai. A makeshift obstacle course has been setup in the yard. There is netting to climb, mud to slog through, an ranged combat station, a balance beam and ending with a melee scrum.

"All right you lot - let's see how you do today," Soldado barks loudly.

Everyone must make a DC10 climb check, DC5 Strength Check, Ranged Attack against a 10 AC, a DC10 Reflex Check, a melee check against a 10 AC and a DC12 Fortitude Check. If you are fatigued from this morning, you take a -2 penalty to all checks (except the fortitude check). If you failed this morning AND fail this fortitude check, you will be exhausted. It's a lot to keep up with, but we'll do our best!


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

Fortitude: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
All told, Garridan keeps up well enough with warm-ups before breakfast.

Is the climb check with armor penalty?
Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Strength: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Ranged attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Melee: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Fortitude 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

fort save:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
climb check1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
str check1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
ranged attack1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20crit confirm1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
reflex save1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
melee attack1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
fort save1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

wow, dem rolls Graxlo blatently blasts through the course, quickly and effectively but remembering his brother's advice and trying not to show off. Even his worst skills seem to be going well today, especially when his dagger thumped a bulls-eye. however, by the end he realized he overexerted himself, as he's use to using magic to solve a few of the problems that today he handled the old fashioned way

edit: i think this is the best campaign to take the endurance feat lol


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Rolls:

Fort DC 10: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19 -5 if APC applies for a 14
Strength DC 5: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Attack Ranged AC 10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Melee Attack AC 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 Missed
Reflex DC 10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Fort DC 12: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 Missed

Allysen starts off strong. She finishes the morning exercises with just a little color to her cheeks. After eating a little and drinking some water and saying a quick prayer, she reports to the climbing station. She almost runs up the wall to the top, much to her surprise. She falters a little at the next station, but still manages to pass.

She visibly tenses when it comes time to go to the ranged weapons station, she gulps and asks for the javelin again. She's rather surprised she hit the target and it takes her a moment to remember that she needed to get out of the way. The after affects of the tension from the ranged portion cause her to do worse on the melee target. She missed and overbalanced and almost wound up on her back-side.

She almost wound up on her face at the next station. She didn't quite manage to dodge the instructor's swipe at her foot, her toe being caught by the top of the cudgel, but she manages to keep her balance well enough to not eat dirt for lunch. At the end of that session, the wear was starting to show a little.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Fort DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Angus easily wakes up at the morning interruption and breezes through morning calisthenics

Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 - 1 = 6

He overextended himself a bit though and fell on his ass during the climb. Hurting his hand with the fall...

Strength DC 5: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Which affected his grip on the strength course. A gentle massage and wrapping the hand to support his fingers helped a lot.

Attack Ranged AC 10:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Melee Attack AC 10: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Which allowed him to perform well on the melee and ranged combat stands.

Reflex DC 10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The balance beam was beyond him, but he didn't mind. Dwarves weren't acrobats anyway.

Fort DC 12: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Fort save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Glad she bedded down early, the gnome felt great when awakened the next morning. Her mind changed a bit when she was taken outside for physical activity.

Climb 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17
Strength check 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Ranged Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Melee attack 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
Reflex 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Fort save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

As expected the melee scrum didn't go well for Pai. She almost made the end of the balance beam, but slipped off just before dismounting. Everything else went between decent and really good for the gnome. Overall, she was pleased with her performance.


There is no Armor penalty for the climb check.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

I failed anyway...


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo shakes his head in disgust and walks over to his brother. He whispers "This is bloody retarded, two spells and we woulda both made it through there just fine"


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus smiles back at his brother. Bah, that's why it's training. How soft and girly would we be by now if we used a spell to solve every problem? Ye're doing great, enjoy yer well earned victories Grax, mebbe here , if ye keep this up, ye'll be accepted and damn that bloody Bishop and is son.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo turns cold "I am not trying ta be accepted here, I am sticking with me brother until me debt is due" he sighs "I'm just irratated about this whole situation, waste of me damn time ta hit cutpurses and thieves, I got research ta do"


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

Rolls:

Fort Save 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Climb Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Str Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Ranged Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Reflex Save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Melee Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Fort Save 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Perhaps I should have ate the food last night after all Andre can't help but think as he rises in the morning feeling tired and sore from his previous workout. During the morning exercises he is repeatedly called out by the sergeant to pick up the pace. Once he gets to the ropes he seems to be improving and quickly finishes off the climb. Following the climb his arms are so dead that he can't even do a push-up much to the ridicule of Soldado, and Andre does nearly as terrible today as yesterday when its his time to hurl a javelin. Thankfully he is able to catch a quick breather before he entered into the training ring, and able to land several solid hits with his training sword before the next combatants turn. Tired and exhausted Andre goes to get some more water.

"Gotta lay off the cigarettes... and not matter how bad the food is tonight I need to eat. I can't let this happen again."


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor
Graxlo wrote:
Graxlo turns cold "I am not trying ta be accepted here, I am sticking with me brother until me debt is due" he sighs "I'm just irratated about this whole situation, waste of me damn time ta hit cutpurses and thieves, I got research ta do"

Think of it this way, brother. Them theives and cutpurses gonna be carrying stuff don't belong to em. Ye getting paid ta do a good thing steada hanging around churchmen all day and ya get ta crack skulls o' folk who deserve it. Ain't a bad way ta get coin fer yer spells, aye?

With that thought, Angus gives Graxlo a brotherly slap on the back and jumps in line as the sergent calls FORM UP!


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Pai looked around at the rest of her group. All of them were panting and seemed to be a bit worse for wear. I think everyone failed at least one Fort save.

"I think everyone needs to eat something tonight," she says, looking toward Andre. "And getting a good night of sleep will be paramount. This training is much more advanced than I expected it to be..."


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

"Your right Pai. I honestly though they would slap a spear in our hands and tell us to learn as we go. I like that they keep us busy though. It makes the time go by quickly. I'm ready to eat. Looks like the sergeant wants us to form up. We better get in line." Shuffling along with the others Andre forms up in line, awaiting his next set of orders.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

"More training? Geez...," the gnome sulks as she takes her spot in the line with the rest of the trainees.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo softens up a little "Well at least it ain't a bad cause. And we do get paided eh? Tell ya what, first rule of magic, it's bloody expensive" Graxlo shifts his sore muscles around before continuing "And it ain't like we're soldiers on a warpath either, at least I'll have some decent downtime to still get some things done"


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

"Could be worse. I've heard stories about what the Hellknights go through."

Sense Motvie DC 22:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 What a waste of a 20 It's barely noticeable, but her eyes dart around as if expecting the notorious lawkeepers of Cheliax to storm the citadel right then.

She gives Pai a tired smile as sweat streams down her face.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo grumbles as he's ordered into line again, and takes a long path around to his brother.


Morning Exercise Fortitude Checks
Garridan - Success!
Graxlo - Success!
Allysen - Success!
Angus - Success!
Pai - Success!
Andre - Fail - Fatigued

Obstacle Course Checks
Garridan - Climb: P; Strength: P; Ranged P; Reflex P; Melee P; Fort X. - Fatigued
Graxlo - Climb: P; Strength: P; Ranged P!!; Reflex P; Melee P; Fort X. - Fatigued
Allysen - Climb: P; Strength: P; Ranged X; Reflex P; Melee P; Fort X. - 1 Fail; Fatigued
Angus - Climb: X; Strength: P; Ranged P; Reflex X; Melee P; Fort X. - 2 Fail; Fatigued
Pai - Climb: P; Strength: P; Ranged P; Reflex X; Melee X; Fort P. - 2 Fail
Andre - Fatigued - Climb: P; Strength: X; Ranged X; Reflex X; Melee P; Fort X. - 3 Fail; Exhausted
22 out of 30

Soldado is quite impressed with your group's effort. Unfortunately for Andre, Verik Vancaskerkin is on hand to see all of his failures. He has taken the other 4 recruits under his wing, so to speak, and they all have quite a laugh as Andre gets stuck in the mud, misses the ranged attack and falls off the balance beam.

The other four recruits manage to avoid having to complete the obstacle course, as Verik tells Soldado that he has been instructed to give them an exam regarding the protocols for dealing with thievery. Soldado looks suspicious, but allows them to leave. Before departing, Verik turns and yells to Allysen, "'Ey, Ally, you threw your lot in with the wrong crew. Come see me after this afternoon's exercises if you'd like to throw in with the right one." He and the four others laugh loudly as they head inside.

The morning's exercises complete, you're dismissed for a brief lunch break, immediately followed by further training for five of you and intense study for Pai. It's then time for evening meal and then bed.

Due to the delay in the game, I'm going to fast forward a bit after this post. Feel free to post your evening activities, but I'll be moving things forward.


14th of Erastus, 4707 AR
The next two weeks fly by in a flurry of training activities and exercises. Though the work is difficult, you've settled into a groove and the fatigue and exhaustion are quickly becoming less of a burden for you.

The rift between the recruits has significantly increased, however. The six of you have formed a little bond, despite the fact that Pai spends most days tucked away in the upper offices. You share meals together and often chat with one another into the evenings. Though you aren't yet friends, you are at least peers - which is more than you can say for your feelings for the other four - Baldrago, Malder, Karralo and Parns. They have buddied up with Verik, which while not having any major benefits, has helped them secure more friends within the guard.

As you awake the morning of the 13th, you are ordered into a room you haven't yet been in. There are several senior guardsmen and women already there, as well as Verik and the Four. Soldado stands at the front of the room and indicates that you should be seated.

"Today is the Founding Festival," he says. "As most of you are aware, the anniversary of Korvosa's founding is the occasion for the wildest parties and festivities of the year, with alcohol, fireworks, and extravagant displays of magical prowess lighting the city into the wee hours. For many of you, tonight will be your first taste of the real life of a guardsman." As there are only 10 recruits in the room, it is quite clear who is speaking of. "We can't afford to have you f%@$ up your duties," he barks in a tone that is a mixture of practiced anger and boredom - he has delivered this speech before. "You 10 will be split up into two groups and paired with more senior officers who will report back to me on your abilities. Normally, we wouldn't send out such fresh meat like this, but as you know, we're a little shorthanded at the moment."

There's a snort from the corner of the room and you can barely hear the words "Thanks to the Stirge King and his bloody Queen…" before Soldado cuts him off. "There will be none of that talk, Lieutenant Goldfist." His voice is stern, but he does not seem to disagree with the sentiment. "Goldfist, since you seem to be so eager to speak up, why don't you come forward and select your squad."

A grizzled dwarf emerges from the rear of the room. He walks with a heavy limp and, looking closely, you see that he has lost almost all of his left arm. Arriving at the front, he looks around the room at the 10 of you seated. His eyes immediately fall on the two brothers. He nods at them without a word. He selects Baldrago and Parns, and points to Pai, indicating those five are his chosen. This is Group 1

"Ok, Sergeant Vancaskerkin. It appears these five here are under your charge," Soldado says, indicating Allysen, Garridan, Andre Malder and Karralo. This is, you guessed it, Group 2.

Group 1:

Goldfist appears to be a no-nonsense individual. As the five of you are gathered around him, he takes stock of each of you before speaking. "All right. We've been 'gifted' the unenviable task of Old Korvosa tonight. I don't expect there to be much trouble, but there's rumor o' a play that's unveiling tonight at Exemplary Execrables. It's a farce aimed at our queen, and tensions are already high enough without some sodded actors fanning the flames. House Arkona," he spits this name, clearly disgusted, "has requested our service tonight, as they are worried about the rabble getting out of hand. We'll be there to ensure their precious manors don't get soiled." He orders you to get your breakfast and then head to your bunks to rest up and collect your gear before meeting him out front a little before dusk.

Group 2:

With his five charges gathered around him, Verik assumes an air of extreme self-importance. "All right. You listen up. Stay close to me,[b]" he winks at Allysen [b]"say nothing and observe until ordered otherwise tonight, you hear? We're heading to Northpoint for our patrol. The Hellknights, it seems, have been distracted with other matters and the safety of the populace there falls on us. Though two of you are inept and unworthy of donning the cloak, we should be fine. Malder, Karralo, come with me. You three head back to your bunks, get your gear and meet us back at the gates before dusk."

You now have the day to collect your gear, rest or go shopping for anything you feel you might need. You haven't yet earned a wage during your time as a guardsman, so the only coin you have on your person is leftover from what you didn't spend originally. Please indicate when you've arrived to meet your group for the evening patrol.


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

As his first taste of liberty is granted Andre steps out from Citadel Volshyenek and takes in the fresh air then glances over the Jeggare Harbor.

Could be a while before I get this oppertunity again. Andre glances in the sun in the sky. If I move quickly I should have enough time. Its only a little south of here. Alright, time get moving Andre

Andre skits the river and works his way south, keeping his left shoulder to the city wall most of the way. Occasionally he will stop and speak to merchant, inquiring about a particular item. Finally he finds what he was seeking, and delicately he wraps it up, not minding the outrageous price the merchant was asking.

Traveling for another thirty minuets Andre finds himself facing the gates of the Grey District. Depositing a few coppers at the gate to the acolyte of Pharasma, Andre nods respectively before entering. Weaving his way around the crypts, and tombstones Andre finally arrives at a grey marble tombstone laying under the shade of a poplar tree.

Here lays Elise Cyre, A loved one sleeping. Wife, Mother and Friend. She will not be forgotten.

Digging into his pack Andre retrieves the carefully wrapped package. Delicately unfolding his he withdraws a single white and purple orchid. and lays it on his wife's grave. I'm sorry its been so long since I visited you love, and I know you always loved these. I... I have joined the guard. I don't know how I can go on without you, but I just have to do something. Maybe now I'll find the bastard that took you way from me. I won't stop, I promise you. I'll find him, I swear it. I love you, forever and always. We will be together soon. I promise.

Rising from his wife's grave, a single tear rolls down Andres face. "I'll try to visit as soon as I can Elise. I miss you." With a deep sigh, Andre steps away from the grave and makes his way back towards Citadel Volshyenek, when he arrives he checks over his gear and then reports for his evening duty.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Old Korvosa? My old stomping grounds... Pai thinks to herself, taking a moment to get lost in her thoughts of her life even just a few weeks ago. I'll try to blend in to avoid rumors getting out about me.

The two weeks had been tough on the little gnome. She had been beaten and bloodied, and tested to her limits. It was amazing how she had responded to discipline and a sense of purpose however, as she was much happier than the unpleasant, skittish little one who was brought in against her will at the start of training.

She was saddened when she heard that Allysen and Andre would not be in her group, though as they were part of the reason that she felt better about her new life. "Good luck on your mission...," she whispers to the two as the assignments were handed out.

Afterwards, she gathered what belonging she thought she might need, and reports for her duty.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

Garridan keeps his face blank, trying to keep the steam from blowing out of his ears and digging his nails into his palm to resist punching Verik in the back of the head on his exit.
Suppose Andre must have missed that comment... or just doesn't care. What I wouldn't give to be able to wipe that smirk off his face with my knuckles...

Leaving the citadel behind him, Garridan heads first to the market and buys fresh bread, a side of good beef, vegetables and a few sweets. With his bounty in hand, he crosses the river into the Varisian ghetto. While the area isn't really "bad" per-se, Krale has little liking for it since he remembers all too vividly where the family used to live. He does nod and wave to the people he knows in the neighborhood, though, not going out of his way to be unfriendly.

Finally coming to a small house in the middle of the lane, he's accosted by a boy of about 7 winters that throws his arms around the guardsman's legs. Tussling his hair, Garridan picks up his little brother Lucca and heads into the house where his mother and younger sisters, the twins Malena and Shalaye (both 16). He sets down the groceries and greets his family after his long absence, consenting to let Malena neaten up his shaggy haircut and deflecting his mother's insistence that she pay him back for the groceries. He passes the afternoon catching up, but cuts the visit short enough that he can easily make it back in time for his detail with Vancaskerkin.

Returning before dusk, he readies his equipment and though he's not ready to forget the Sergeant's comment, Garridan's much calmer and more focused than he had been.


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Sorry lost my dot. Late here and I have to drive an hour and a half tfor a class tomorrow, so post tomorrow when I get a chance.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Duncan wasn't surprised at he and his brother being picked by a fellow dwarf. If anything could ever be assumed about his people, it's that they were dependable. Goldfist no doubt wanted the recruits he was most likely able to count on. What he wasn't happy about was being broken up from the rest of the little group they'd formed. He learned the strengths and weaknesses of those he normally trained with and this new grouping meant the mission was not an ideal scenario.

Not that what he thought mattered. Goldfist was in charge and was the senior guardsman, so what reservations Angus had, he'd keep to himself. Graxlo would be there and that was what REALLY mattered. He kept to his routine and when the time came was ready to go....


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Allysen easily found a groove she could settle in. Her prayers in the morning renewed her strength and the divine power that dwelt within her The martial training was more intense than at the temple, but she managed to find her rhythm despite that, although she still was a lousy ranged combatant.

She also managed to get a hold on her dislike for Vancaskerkin. She didn't grind her teeth anymore when his attentions were directed her way, or when he took his favorites out of the yard, or when he insulted the others. Instead, she just assumed a mask of professional indifference, although anyone looking close enough noticed the flare of her nostrils or the flicker of anger in her eyes.

She found the others to be good friends and even showed Pai the mark she bore on her right arm, just below the shoulder and even revealed some of her past.

When they get their assignments and Pai wishes them luck, she smiles and whispers back to the others, "Good luck to you as well, may the Inheritor watch over us."

To say she was annoyed that she would be with Vancaskerkin and separated from some of her friends was an understatement. Still, she was taught that duty and honor comes before self and comfort, so she bore the unwanted attention with the same professionalism she had adopted over the past weeks. Although she really wanted to do what it looked Garridan was about to do.

After they were dismissed, she pulls him aside.

"Keep calm, there's no good in bloodying your hand by breaking his nose. Hopefully he'll leave me alone if I ignore him long enough, and if not, I can keep him from doing anything untoward."

As soon as she's sure that Garridan is alright, she lets him head off to prepare and sees that Andre is gone. Alone, she heads up to her room to inspect her arms and armor before grabbing some breakfast and preparing for a long night by resting up through the morning and afternoon.

A few hours before she is to report for duty she begins to get ready. Tying her hair up into a bun and donning her chainmail, triple-checking to make sure it fits properly. Her sword hangs by her hip, the blade polished and sharpened. Finally, she straps her shield within easy reach and dons her cloak, She eyes the spear in the corner, before deciding that lugging it around and not needing it was better than needing it and not having it. At the appointed time, Allysen shows up to report for duty.


We're going to press on...

Group 1:

Arriving back at the citadel, you see Lieutenant Goldfist, Baldrago and Parns waiting silently. Pai arrives first, shortly followed by the brothers. "All right, les' head out." Goldfist orders gruffly.

You make the trek through the heart of the city north to the island of Old Korvosa. On your way, you see the celebration is well underway, with bar patrons spilling over into the streets in happy drunkenness. The mood is light for the most part, and it seems any concerns of trouble are unfounded - at least here in Midland and in the portion of Northpoint you travel through.

Upon crossing the bridges into Old Korvosa, the mood is largely unchanged. People genuinely seem to be enjoying the festivities, availing themselves of the numerous food stalls and drink vendors that have setup shop for the evening. You begin your patrol around the island, and for the first four hours, it is completely uneventful.

On several occasions, you bumped into the students of the Endrin Military Academy. These young recruits are in training to be part of the Sable Company marines, and they salute respectfully as you pass. A couple of them even decide to accompany you on your patrol. Goldfist consents with his silence.

After what seems like your 10th circuit of the island, you come back to the Exemplary Execrables, the site of the evening's play. It is scheduled to begin in several minutes and by the time you arrive, the audience is filing into of the theater. Refurnished with gaudy gold-colored paint and massive glass “gems,” this former temple of Aroden has found a new life as the home of a perverse and detestable theater of all things foul, gore-slicked, and unnaturally pornographic. The theater’s owner, a repugnant sore-covered human named Pilts Swastel, stands outside, eagerly inviting people in to enjoy the show. His eagerness fades as he sees you approach. "Oh, well, do you guards wish to enjoy the show?" he asks. Even his voice is slimy. "I suppose we could squeeze you in - most of you are of a smaller stature. I can't promise you'll be able to see the stage though…"

"Shut yer mouth, ye' mangy bootlicker," Goldfist responds. "We'll damn well go in to observe the play and yer patrons, and ye'll kindly like it." With that, he leads your group into the theater just as the show is about to begin.

The room is packed with all manner of men, women and the indistinguishable. Goldfist orders you around the room, even giving some of the Sable Company recruits orders to watch certain exits. The inside of the building is as gaudy as the outside and smells strongly of blood and sweat.

The play is about to begin. Please make any desired checks.

Group 2:

Arriving back at the citadel, you see Verik, Malder and Karralo waiting and talking in hushed tones. Andre arrives first, shortly followed by the others. "It's about time you showed up. We were about to leave without you. Let's head out." Verik orders.

You make the short trek through the heart of the city Northpoint. On your way, you see the celebration is well underway, with bar patrons spilling over into the streets in happy drunkenness. The mood is light for the most part, and it seems any concerns of trouble are unwarranted. People genuinely seem to be enjoying the festivities, availing themselves of the numerous food stalls and drink vendors that have setup shop for the evening. You begin your patrol around the area.

As you're patrolling, you notice that people nod respectfully at Verik and quickly move to avoid walking in his path. He is known and respected - or feared - in this area. He walks in front, Malder and Karralo at his side. They laugh and talk casually, frequently grabbing pinches of food or taking swigs of drinks from the stalls they pass - all without paying a dime. The merchants look angry and annoyed, but say nothing.

Moving further into the heart of Northpoint, you come upon the edge of a makeshift market. Verik stops and clicks his tongue. He raises his hand and orders you to stop. "Well, well. What have we here. It appears The Dock Trade has decided to stay open a little later than normal for business. You three," he says, indicating you three, "Wait here. We'll go investigate." Verik heads into the mass with Malder and Karralo.

The Dock Trade is a market of questionable legality. Many of the wares come from vendors who frequently claim ignorance as to the source of their goods. The Hellknights have been known to show up to break up the market on certain occasions, but still it survives.

They return about 15 minutes later, laughing loudly. They stop and sneer as they get closer. "Don't suppose you lot saw anything, did ya?" Malder says in a laughing, raspy voice. Verik gives him a cool stare and orders him to shut up.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus makes his circuit of the place and does well to hide his disgust.
As a former acolyte of Imodae and Inquisitor of Ragathiel such perversions were abhorrent to his eyes. Sadly such practice was legal in Korvosa so long as the appropriate taxes were paid. He was careful to keep and eye on the 'performers'. If anything was done against the will of any of the 'actors' he would take issue. Sordid though they were, vice taxes did not permit rape or murder. The performance was supposed to be staged and those involved willing participants. If would speak to the actors to assuage his fears.

He says as much to the slime ball running the place.
If anything happens yer actors ain't agreeable to ye'll have more trouble than ye could buy yer way out of.

Perception1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Intimidate 1d20 ⇒ 13
Sense Motive: are the actors acting or is someone REALLY being harmed1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Know local 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Stealth 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Pai pays more attention to the audience than to the actors. She falls back into her patterns of keeping to the shadows, and listening to the goings on. Her knowledge of the area might give some hints to any particular terminology used in the area.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

Earlier.

Allysen wrote:


To say she was annoyed that she would be with Vancaskerkin and separated from some of her friends was an understatement. Still, she was taught that duty and honor comes before self and comfort, so she bore the unwanted attention with the same professionalism she had adopted over the past weeks. Although she really wanted to do what it looked Garridan was about to do.

After they were dismissed, she pulls him aside.

"Keep calm, there's no good in bloodying your hand by breaking his nose. Hopefully he'll leave me alone if I ignore him long enough, and if not, I can keep him from doing anything untoward."

"I'm not going to do anything stupid.", he says. "But he'll get his in time. There's only so long he can push this nonsense and I hope I'm there when he reaches his limit."

After the "inspection".
Garridan glances between the trio.
The astute observer will see the all too common Korvosan leeches in all their splendor, here on the waterfront. Uniquely the only species of worm capable of puffing themselves up after feeding, they inexplicably share many traits with the weasel... including enough skill at self-preservation to both flaunt their crimes while avoiding just enough evidence that a second-hand report will turn up enough doubt to escape just persecution.

"Nothing suspicious.", he deadpans to Malder.


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Group 1:
There are many things that Allysen can tolerate. The unwanted advances, the slipping out of training, and the general cockiness that Vancaskerkin enjoyed were among these. The abuse of power, fell clearly outside of that.

"Forgive me for asking, sir, but are we not supposed to be sober on duty? And are we not supposed to be examples to these people?"

Her voice is icy cold and her eyes narrowed in a freezing glare.

It's this kind of behavior I came up here to oppose, and I'm seeing it in a man that is supposed to be my superior. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew.


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)
Allysen wrote:
"Forgive me for asking, sir, but are we not supposed to be sober on duty? And are we not supposed to be examples to these people?"

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Crossing his arms and stepping up next to Allysen, Andre nods in agreement. "She's right sergeant, if we had to act as witnesses to an event, our testomony wouldent hold up if the defense knew our patrol officer had been drinking on the job. Just a suggestion sir but you might want to hold off until after duty."

And bastards like you are the reason why the guard was never able to find my wifes killer. Too busy poaching on the harmless and shaking down the poor... people like you make me sick.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Wow I apologize everybody, when I checked this thread it didnt tell me 'new posts', I've been inactive for a while. I'll catch up

Graxlo remains fairly on duty throughout all these procedings, sometimes getting distracted when fiddling with his maulaxe or reading a book, but a look from Goldfist or a shove from his brother keeps his attentions where it should be. When they get to the theatre, Graxlo snorts in disgust and spits "This is a damn tragedy, an' I don't mean that in tha theatrical way" Graxlo finds a quiet place to sit, then pulls out a book and begins muttering incantations, alternating between looking at the book and frowning at his weapon.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Still here. Waiting on DM


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Heh, same thing happened to me in this game and another, so don't sweat it. I'm wondering how dear Mr. Vancaskerkin is going to respond to Allysen's rather insubordinate remark. (Even if it was warranted)


Group 1:

The play begins. It is a "comedic" farce centered around Queen Ileosa, the frequency and volume of visitors to her bed, her disdain for her husband, King Eodred II and the plot she hatches to see him dead.

Most of the play focuses on her bedroom, and the actress who plays the Queen performs many of the acts she describes, much to the cheers and delight of the audience, who contribute some ideas and "volunteers" of their own.

The portion of the play centered on the Queen's intrigue is poorly written and terribly acted. The playwright seemed to think that the Queen would conspire with the King's deformed stepbrother to assassinate the King. One night, while having a group "experience" with the king and his brother, the Queen slit the King's neck from ear to ear. The actress drew her knife across the king's throat with a vicious smile, a red line followed her knife, and realistic-looking blood spewed out of the king's wound. The actor who played the King was only on stage for this scene, but he received the loudest cheer and "hurrahs" from the crowd when he dies.

The Queen, surveying her handiwork, declares herself ruler (to the boos and hisses of the audience), and announces that she will "bleed this backwater colonial village dry of all its riches - and its men." With that the curtain falls and the crowd, silent for a moment, rises into a loud chant of "Damn the B#%*# Queen!"

Once the play is over and the crowd is angrily chanting, you notice that one of the Endrin recruits appears to have gotten into an argument with a group of the patrons. They are yelling at one another and then a man, twice the size of the recruit, breaks a bottle over the younger one's head. The recruit grabs the wound and falls to his knees. You can't see what happens next, but the crowd pounces on the poor boy.

Angus:

Pilts Swastel is unmoved by your intimidation, "My actors are all here of their freewill, sir. Do not worry about that. Enjoy the show," he says, clearly indicating he doesn't care whether you do or not.

Once the show has begun, it does appear that all of the actors are willing participants and the death of the king is an overly dramatic, gratuitously violent acting job.

Pai:

You are able to slip through the crowd unnoticed. As you take in the audience, you do spot several individuals you recognize.

Devargo Barvasi - the "ruler" of Eels End, a collection of five ships at the east end of Old Korvosa. He is known as the "King of Spiders" for his strange empathy with the creatures. Devargo maintains just enough legality to keep the Korvosan Guard from interfering with all of the businesses in Eel’s End, but you know personally that he is engaged in some shady, underground pursuits.

Several members of House Arkona - One of the oldest noble families in Korvosa. Nothing occurs in the back alleys or stinking vaults of Old Korvosa without House Arkona knowing about it. It is a poorly kept secret that the family controls or has influence over every major (and most minor) criminal enterprise in the city, from watered-down mead to murder.

Dengaro - A senior student and instructor at the Orsini Academy, a famed sword school founded by Vencarlo Orisini.

Angus & Pai:

Once the play has begun, you notice that the weapons the actors wield are sharp and appear to be actual - not stage - weapons. Though no one appears to actually be injured by them, they are, at the least, lethal if the owner decides to make them so.

Group 2 coming shortly...


Group 2:

"Sober? You think me drunk after two or three sips of wine during Founding?" Verik asks. "You pain me, Ally. Truly. We should spend more time together, and you would see that it takes far more to drunken me up. This vermin doesn't need an example, it needs a slap in the face. That's what we provide. Do not fool yourself into thinking the Guard is a bastion of honor and sacrifice. We keep the riffraff from breaking the law. They do not respect us. But they can - and should - fear us."

When Andre steps forward to speak, Verik's expression changes from mock hurt to anger. "And you, Cyre, can shut your mouth right now. Should an event need witnesses, the voice of three unproven, disrespectful recruits would mean very little to the defense of an officer. No, my words carry much more weight, and you would do well to remember that. I am certain Soldado would be disappointed to hear of your poor performance in my report, wouldn't you agree?

[b]"But what are we talking about?" Verik continues, his tone changing back to his casual, smarmy norm. [b]"There is no event, and there won't be. This rabble knows better than to…" but he is cut off by a loud grunt and a string of curses. Karralo is grabbing the back of his head and cursing loudly - he withdraws his hand and sees that is covered in blood. Whatever caused the injury is out of sight, but apparently came from the direction of the market.

Verik looks to his man, then looks to the Dock Trade. "You bastard! Do you think you can hide from us!" he yells into the darkness. He turns to the group "Why are you just standing there?! Go. Go! Find the son of a b#~$~ who did this! That's an order!!" Malder hesitates and doesn't immediately run in.

Andre:

When the trio returns, you notice that Verik's coin purse is bulging significantly.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Group 1

Spoiler:
"What a production... the gnome thinks as she rolls her eyes during particular parts of the show. When she sees the crowd turning violent, she appears from almost nowhere and grabs both dwarves. "things are getting violent over here, she squeaks, leading the two to where the young man had the bottle broken over his head.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo barely hears what was going on, but when Pai gets his attention he jumps up "Oh bloody hell" Graxlo uses his arcana pool to enhance his weapon, then whispers to the other two "Angus, you go directly in, I'll be right with ya. I'll keep an eye out fer any magical problems. Pai, if things bad, use that useful color spray of yers to even tha odds. Also that message spell if we need ta tell Goldfist sometin'"

51 to 100 of 292 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In Service To Korvosa - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.