Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

In Service To Korvosa

Game Master GM Idyll

A Curse of the Crimson Throne PBP Adventure


1 to 50 of 292 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

1st of Erastus, 4707 AR

You arrive at Citadel Volshyenek in Midland early in the morning. It is a bright, sunny day, but the summer's warmth has taken its time to arrive, so it's still quite crisp as you queue up with the others who've arrived ahead of you.

The Citadel overlooks Jeggare Harbor, where it serves as the base of operations for the Korvosan Guard. And as your new home.

For your own personal reasons you are entering the Korvosan guard. And it appears you aren't alone. As you await entry into the Citadel, about 20 others end up in line with you.

It is under these inauspicious circumstances that your adventure begins. First to post is the first to arrive. Introduce yourself to those around you, if you'd like, or simply take in the surroundings. Once everyone has posted, we'll move on.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

The little gnome skulks into the Citadel, and happens to be one of the first to arrive. She was easily the tiniest of the newbies that she saw. She had her shock of hair pulled tight around her head, so she looked quite a bit older than her actual age. Pai does her best to blend into the surroundings, not really feeling like 'meeting and greeting' and of the new recruits this morning.

She considered using magic to change her appearance a bit, so she would blend in a bit better, but decided against it. This is a new start. Might as well accept it head on...no more taking just the easy way, was her thought while she filed into the line.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

A young man enters the courtyard shortly thereafter, standing very straight. His short beard and hair are neatly trimmed and though his clothes are oft-mended and patched under his chainmail, they are neatly pressed. He looks about for other early arrivals, completely overlooking the gnome, before resting his left hand on the pommel of his sword and standing in a relaxed posture. Just waiting for someone to come and notice that he's here, he's early and he's ready.


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

A young woman, or rather a girl just hitting womanhood walks into the courtyard and looks around at those who arrived before-hand. She looks a little nervous, but her excitement is palpable. Long, coppery-red hair is pulled back into a ponytail that falls midway down her back and shimmers like fire in the morning light. Next to it is a bundle covered in cloth, with a eight foot long spear sticking out of both ends. There's also a sword and shield strapped to her back. She sees a gnome, but prudence kept her from asking what she was doing here, seeing as she didn't seem to happy to be here.

Instead she goes over to the neat and trim, if worn looking, man that was standing off to the side. Her nerves come to and blue eyes dart to the sides above freckled cheeks as she approaches, but she manages to get a hold of herself before speaking to him in a voice that sound like an angel's. (Mainly because it is :D)

"I'm sorry to bother you, but do you know if there's anyone we're supposed to talk to?"


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus entered the courtyard to find a large procession of Mostly humans and.a few other of the common races. As he expected, the vast majority were NOT fighting men, but rather those poor and unfortunate enough to NEED to enlist as a means of improving their sorry lot. Here and there was one or two that owned good weapons and possessed of strong arms to wield them. The was one human, clad in worn Chainmail who at least LOOKED like he knew which end of a sword to put into a foe.

The Dwarf noticed many of the young eyes looking his way. Not surprising. He'd arrived with all his worldly possessions in a stuff sack and wearing the armor and weapons one would expect of a Dwarf. Fine Steel Breastplate, Battle axe, Warhammer among others. A small steel buckler strapped to his left forearm. He could well have been an instructor and truth be told, given the appearance of his fellows, he would no doubt be showing a few people how to grip a weapon.

He looked around but saw no sign of his brother.
Fine mess...get us kicked outta home and probably skip town while ye brother pays the toll.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1
Allysen wrote:

A young woman, or rather a girl just hitting womanhood walks into the courtyard and looks around at those who arrived before-hand. She looks a little nervous, but her excitement is palpable. Long, coppery-red hair is pulled back into a ponytail that falls midway down her back and shimmers like fire in the morning light. Next to it is a bundle covered in cloth, with a eight foot long spear sticking out of both ends. There's also a sword and shield strapped to her back. She sees a gnome, but prudence kept her from asking what she was doing here, seeing as she didn't seem to happy to be here.

Instead she goes over to the neat and trim, if worn looking, man that was standing off to the side. Her nerves come to and blue eyes dart to the sides above freckled cheeks as she approaches, but she manages to get a hold of herself before speaking to him in a voice that sound like an angel's. (Mainly because it is :D)

"I'm sorry to bother you, but do you know if there's anyone we're supposed to talk to?"

"You're not bothering me. Truth be told, I'm not sure myself. I'd reckon we're supposed to line up here and wait until the officer in charge comes out to give us our orders and get us into line...."

He looks the girl over.
"Are you sure you're old enough to be signing on? Do your parents know you're here, Miss...?"


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo enters the courtyard, and a few recruits take a double take as he looks very similar to his brother. His hair and beard are a little longer, and he's a little bit smaller. He has a maulaxe on his back over a hide shirt, and looks bored as he walks in. When he sees Angus he stops, then sighs and walks over "Ah, got distracted, looks allright tho, don't look like we started yet"


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus smiles at his brothers (late) arrival.
Glad t'see our Dwarven Honor still holds strong. Was worried ye might make good on yer threat t'skip town with his boys eyeballs. Good that yer here, from the looks this lot could use some experienced warriors anyway.


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)
Garridan Krale wrote:

"You're not bothering me. Truth be told, I'm not sure myself. I'd reckon we're supposed to line up here and wait until the officer in charge comes out to give us our orders and get us into line...."

He looks the girl over.
"Are you sure you're old enough to be signing on? Do your parents know you're here, Miss...?"

"Quite sure." Most of her nervousness disappears when Garridan answers her question, but the mention of her parents cast a bit of a cloud over her face. "As for my parents, they probably could care less about where I am. Still, I'd like to think that I'm capable of making my own choices at nearly 30 years of age." She gives Garridan a grin and holds out a hand.

"The name's Allysen, a follower of the Inheritor. It's a pleasure to meet you, though I'm afraid I don't have your name."


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo bursts out laughing "Haha now fer the record I didn't take the boys eyes...although I might be able to find a use fer em..."Graxlo drifts off for a moment

Dwarven:
"Aye, looks more like a convent than a training ground in here. I got a horrible feeling in me belly that we'll be spending the next bit o' our lives whippin these nuns inta shape"


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

As the room began to fill, Pai drifted from the front of the room to the back, remaining as uninvolved as a 3' 0" gnome with bright green hair could be. She, as always, took notice of her surroundings...in particular the loud dwarves. Those two are obviously related. Glad to have a little diversity in the recruits, I suppose. They could be handy in blending to some alternative groups, if they'd learn to whisper a little.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1
Allysen wrote:

"Quite sure." Most of her nervousness disappears when Garridan answers her question, but the mention of her parents cast a bit of a cloud over her face. "As for my parents, they probably could care less about where I am. Still, I'd like to think that I'm capable of making my own choices at nearly 30 years of age." She gives Garridan a grin and holds out a hand.

"The name's Allysen, a follower of the Inheritor. It's a pleasure to meet you, though I'm afraid I don't have your name."

Garridan takes the offered hand and gives a firm shake, though he looks surprised when Allysen says she's almost 30.

"I'm Garridan... Garridan Krale. Sorry, you don't look much older than my younger sister. Didn't take you for a priestess."


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

Leaning against the against the lichen covered walls of the Citadel, Andre quietly reaches into his belt pouch and withdraws some tobacco and rolling papers. As he watches the ships move though the Jeggare Harbor he can't help but wonder if enlisting in the guard was a mistake. Sighing, he lights the cigarette off of a nearby torch and watches as the other new recruits to arrive.

I knew the guard was hurting, but this is bad. Saw better guards on my da' caravans. Still there looks like a bit o' promise here and there. Couple o' dwarfs, some humans, a gnome. The dwarfs at least look like they can hold their own, but all said this is pretty sorry lot. Eh, looks like it's time for us to fall in.

Running his hand over two day old stubble Andre picks up his shield and slings it over his shoulder, with his other hand he flicks the cigarette over the wall, then grabs his longsword and moves towards the gathering group.

"Andre Cyre reporting as ordered."


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)
Garridan Krale wrote:

Garridan takes the offered hand and gives a firm shake, though he looks surprised when Allysen says she's almost 30.

"I'm Garridan... Garridan Krale. Sorry, you don't look much older than my younger sister. Didn't take you for a priestess."

"You'd be surprised how often I hear that. I never said I was a priestess, though, just a follower of Iomedae. You're right though. I'm only a minor one though, and little skilled in the gifts I am given. What might you be, Garridan Krale? I'm thinking soldier."

She is enjoying herself as she gets to know the met, but she catches a shock of green hair about waist-high between two of the recruits.

"Actually, can you answer that while we go over here? I see someone I think is in need of a little cheering up."

With that she begins to make her way over to the green-haired gnome.


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

Sliding up next to the Dwarf's Andre quietly listens to the exchange before dourly interjecting.

Dwarven:
"I doubt it friend. If this is the level of recruits that the guard is getting, I bet they will have us on the streets as soon as possible. These others... they look like they couldn't stop a runny nose, let alone a cutpurse."


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo gives him a weird look, obviously a little peeved that he was eavesdropping "Ye'd be surprised by how pathetic guards can be in this city. They're tha cream o' tha crop, we're miracles"


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

While still in the process of making her silent initial judgments, Pai notices the human female heading in her direction. She nods toward the human as she approaches, not wanting to embarrass herself if the human passes her by.


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Allysen sees the gnome nod at her as she makes her way over to her. A few more steps brings the woman close enough to talk comfortably, but not so close the gnome needs to strain her neck.

"Hello, Miss. I couldn't help but notice that you seem a little, um, troubled. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 obviously, Allysen has no idea how to deal with Gnomes :P


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus acknowledges the accuracy the newcomers words. Never one to be too downcast however, Bah, ya can get any stone t'shine. Just needs t'be cut and polished right. Even rocks can turn to diamonds with enough pressure, it ye get me meaning. I doubt yeself emerged a warrior from the womb? Ye were trained a bit, I bet
He offers a wink.


Without warning, the large doors open and the queue begins shuffling into a large main hallway.

As you enter the Citadel, you see two men seated at a table in the entryway. The queue continues as each of you await your turn to meet with one of them.

Allysen:

"Next!" a voice yells from behind the table. He sounds quite bored, even though the morning has only just begun. Stepping forward, you see a handsome young man with brown hair. "Name, please." Upon receiving it, he looks up and smiles broadly, his demeanor changing dramatically. "Well, well. Allysen, eh?" he shuffles through his stack of papers before finally landing upon yours. "Let's see here. Ah, yes. It seems you've received a recommendation from the temple of Shelyn? Very good. Goddess of beauty and such, right? I never was one for the worship of the gods." He leans in close and says quietly, "But as for the worship of beauty…well…I am a devoted supplicant. How rude of me. I have not introduced myself. I am Verik. Verik Vancaskerkin. I look forward to getting to know you better, Allysen." He leans back, pushes across a sheet of paper for you to sign. After you've done so, he pushes across a a crimson red and black cloak, lined in silver. As you reach to take it, his fingers brush conspicuously against yours. "Put this on over your armor and head into the hall behind me. See ya around, Ally." he says with a wink and a smile.

Andre:

"NEXT!" a voice booms from behind the table. Stepping forward, you see an old, white-haired man who is looking down at some papers. "Name, please," he says, gruffly. Upon receiving it, he looks down and realizes your paper is on top. "Ah, Andre. Jakes, man, right?" his voice softens slightly. "He put in a good word fer ya. Says you know how to handle yerself in a scrap. We need men like ya. He also told me a bit of yer story." He leans in and says softly, "I'm sorry ta hear it." He hands over a piece of paper and instructs you to sign it. As you do so, he hands across a crimson red and black cloak, lined in silver. "Put this on over your armor and head into the hall behind me. Welcome to the guards, son."

Garridan:

"Next!" a man yells. He sounds quite bored, even though the morning has only just begun. Stepping forward, you see a handsome young man with brown hair. "Name, please." Upon receiving it, he shuffles through his papers until he comes to one with your name scrawled across the top. "Hmm…let's see here. Krale…hmm. That name is familiar…oho! I remember now. Your father was…" he stops before saying anything else. His voice changes to become forcibly professional "My apologies. Let's proceed with your paperwork." he pushes across your Writ of Assignment and after you've signed it, he hands across a crimson red and black cloak, lined in silver. "Put this on over your armor and head into the hall behind me. Welcome to the guards, Krale." he says, putting a strong emphasis on your last name.

You recognize this as one of your old peers, Verik Vancaskerkin. He studied under the same fencing tutor as you, though he was several years older. He never paid you much attention, but you remember that he was an unremarkable swordsman with a big mouth.

Angus and Graxlo:

"Next!" a man yells. Stepping forward, you see an old, white-haired man who is looking down at some papers. "Name, please," he says, gruffly. Upon receiving it, he looks down and shuffles through the small stack until he arrives at yours. "Well, well. What have we here? A set of sibling dwarfs unfit for life in the temple, eh? Apparently the good priests and priestesses thought you better suited for life in the guards? Well, we'll see about that." He hands over two sheets of paper and two crimson red and black cloaks, lined in silver. After you've signed the papers he says, "Put these on over your armor and head into the hall behind me. Welcome to the guards."

Pai:

"Next, please. Next! NEXT!" the man behind the table yells. He looks out over his papers, and not seeing you, stands up. Upon standing, he looks down and finally notices you. "Oh, my apologies. Let's see here…yes…oh…yes…you must be, Pai. Hmm…intelligence? Interesting. It seems, Ms. Pai, that you have been selected for certain…talents…you possess. I have been instructed here to inform you that those talents are no longer to be used for your own ends and are, should you desire to remain under the employ of the guard, to be only used in service to Korvosa. Do you understand and agree to abide by these stipulations?"

Once you agree, he hands over a piece of paper and instructs you to sign it. After that he looks for your uniform before realizing that you won't receive one. "It seems that you won't be receiving a traditional guard's uniform, ma'am. You may enter the hall - follow the others." He indicates the large, open door behind him.

After you've all been personally inducted, you enter a large hallway. At one end you see an attractive, dark-haired human woman dressed in red armor. She steps forward to address the crowd. "I am Field Marshal Cressida Kroft," she announces, her voice filling the room. "Welcome to the Guard. Your service to the city of Korvosa is desired and appreciated.

"There are nearly 700 others here, who, much like you, decided to enter the service. Their lives are committed to the protection of this city and her people. Much like you they had their ambitions, desires and expectations. And much like you will, they learned to replace those thoughts with only one: Unwavering commitment to Korvosa. Should you be unable or unwilling to make this mental shift, your services will no longer be desired or appreciated.

"As you were told before arriving here today, new recruits are expected to provide their own weapons and armor. Should you be fully accepted into the guard, you will receive future armaments free of charge. During your training, you will be required to reside in the guard barracks, but once you are formally inducted, you may secure your own lodging or remain here.

"Now, I leave you in the capable hands of Watch Sergeant Soldado. He will oversee your training. Welcome, again, to the guard." She clicks her heels together, puts her fist to her chest and extends her arm before loudly saying, "Trosker ep Styrk!" the call is echoed by the other guardsman in the room, as well as several of the local recruits.

Knowledge Local DC5 or anyone who has spent more than a year in Korvosa:

You recognize "Trosker ep Styrk" as Korvosa's motto, ancient Taldane for "Fidelity and Strength."

You're led to your bunkhouse where you store all of your gear in a footlocker before heading out into the yard or into the intelligence office for the beginning of your training.

Everyone But Pai:

For five of you, your training is a regimen of tests of physical prowess, fighting with training swords, target practice and endurance exercises, typically consisting of running while carrying heavy weights.

Please make one DC10 Strength Check, one attack check (using the bonuses from your weapon of choice), one ranged attack check (using the bonuses from your weapon of choice), and one DC13 Fortitude check. You cannot take 10 on these checks.

Pai:

Rather than heading out to the yard, you are led up to an office in the interior of the Citadel. You meet with another gnome. He extends his hands and introduces himself as Gluckle. "Yes, yes. You are here for intelligence, yes, Pai? Good. Good. Have a seat. You have much to learn."

Gluckle begins your training regimen which consists mostly of studying old crimes, studying faces to determine who is being truthful, disguise tests, deciphering texts and, once he discovers your aptitude for illusions, practicing your spells.

Please make one DC13 Knowledge:Local check, one DC10 Sense Motive Check, one DC20 Disguise check (you can use your +10 bonus as if you cast Disguise Self), one DC15 Linguistics check and describe to Gluckle how you would use the spells at your disposal - apart from Disguise Self - to gather intelligence or information from a source. You cannot take 10 on these checks.

Most posts won't be this long, I promise! Feel free to RP any interactions that I glossed over - I just wanted to get this one up to keep things moving along as I may be out of pocket for the rest of the day.


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Before the higher ups enter...

"Oh that's very nice of you, Miss. I'm just a little nervous I suppose. First day and all. I'm not used to... being on this side of the law! all of this. I'm Pai, by the way," the gnome says, extending her hand.

Signing up for duty

The gnome looks up at the clatter when the guardsmen enter the room. She falls in line behind the human female and rolls her eyes at Verik's flattery toward her. She was relieved when he allowed her to pass with relatively little banter and didn't make any announcements about her 'talents' too loudly. "Sure, sure, I agree," she hisses, feeling embarrassed about the reference to her past.

Initial Training with Gluckle

DM

Spoiler:

Another gnome! Nice to make your acquaintance, Gluckle," Pai exclaimed, pleased to see another of her kind in a supervisory position. She began to relax a bit, being away from the crowd of strangers. She took to the lessons, and even started bragging a bit, when she did something especially well. "Look at that, Gluckle! Ooo, I know that one! Pretty neat, huh," were some of the sounds that could be heard if anyone was walking close by to the room. She was especially fond of using her Disguise Self spell, trying to fool the other gnome.

Know. Local 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Sense Motive 1d20 ⇒ 11
Disguise 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
Linguistics 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

"Interesting question, Gluckle. Now, as you have no doubt heard, Disguise Self is my specialty. That one is pretty self explanatory. You saw how I could alter my height and weight a little bit. Great for blending into a crowd. Vanish also had uses to find out all kinds of information. If sneaking around doesn't work, you can disappear completely for several seconds, if necessary. Silent Image is just as good as Vanish, I think for several purposes. If someone is new to a room, they normally do not notice if the wall extends just a couple feet further out than normal. That's another benefit to me being so tiny!

My other three spells are mainly to get me out of trouble when a mission goes bad. Mage Armor explains itself, Grease has a million uses, and Color Spray is to knock out whoever needs it, whether I need to grab something from them, or to let me stop any pursuers. I always tried to not permanently harm my mark...I just needed to get what I needed to get."

Damn it! OF course, I fail the Disguise check...


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Before meeting Mr. Skeezy...

"A pleasure to meet you, Pai. The name's Allysen, I'm glad that you're moving forward in life, and pray that you'll continue on this path."

She takes Pai's hand and gives it a firm clasp. Right as she finishes talking, the call to form up comes.

Meeting Mr. Skeezy...

The smile she was used to.

The very, very heavy innuendo, however was new. She had seen couples courting before. The church of Iomedae didn't require celibacy, but the courtships were never this forward. Naturally, she was having a hard time suppressing the urge to shudder when she felt Verik's breath in her ear and his hand brush hers.

"Thank you."

That was all she trusted herself to say, and even that was through clenched teeth. She was rather surprised that she felt like she needed to scrub herself considering she had just bathed that morning.

After meeting Mr.Skeezy...

She thanked the Inheritor that she was at the front of the line and was able to finish straightening her shining mail and gather her long hair into a bun before the group made it inside. The cloak was easy enough to don and straighten out, and she felt a little pride that it did fit fairly well on her shoulders.

Croft's speech leaves a niggling question in the back of Allysen's mind as she listened.

Are we dedicated to the people of Korvosa, or the city of Korvosa?

She isn't left much time to ponder as the training commences. She does well, with three exceptions. The first was when the memory of Verik Vancaskerkin's hand against her caused her to shudder at an inopportune time and threw her swing off. The second was having to ask, very bashfully, to borrow a javelin. The third was right after when she threw the javelin at a target fifteen feet away and hit the dirt six feet to the side of it.

"Girl! Ain't there anything useful yer good at?"

"I can heal wounds." She answers sheepishly.

Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Attack Melee(longsword): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Attack Ranged (Javelin): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Fort: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

As Andre follows the crowd towards muster he mutters to the dwarf. "Your right, it took some hard lessons for me to learn my way with a blade. Pressure can yield results, but too much too quick... That can crack even stone".

Fade...

Standing in front of the white haired man, Andre nods at his words. "Jakes is a good friend, better then I deserve. Thank ye' for the kind words." When Andre is handed the cloak he drapes it across his shoulders and follows the mans instructions heading into the hall.

Fade...

Storing his gear in a footlocker and claiming a bottom bunk Andre heads out into the practice yard. As he watches the other guards practice with their wood-slatted swords, and run around the yard hefting logs Andre mutters a curse to himself. I came here for answers, not to run around like a beaten mule! Walking over to one of the arming dummies he studies it for a moment before he hefts his longsword Freebooters Bane. Shame to ruin a good edge, but what the hell Snapping the longsword from his sheath he draws it up in two hands before driving it down towards the dummy.

Attack Roll 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Possible Crit Roll 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Damage Roll 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

As the blade whistles down Andre leans in for a second whipping out his light shield as if anticipating a incoming blow. Quickdraw (feat) Light Quickdraw Wooden Shield


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Str check:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Ranged Attack Roll:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Fort Save:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Attack Roll:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Graxlo starts off well, then when he's asked to show his ranged ability he snorts and spits. After a moment of anger/prodding from his brother and the guards, he miserably throws his knife. Then he marches up and crushes the target with the blunt end of his maulaxe. This entire time he looks angry and bored, like he has better things to do.


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)

"At the Ranged station"

After several more moments against the arming dummy, Andre steps out of the ring while the next person in line steps up. Moving along the circuit circuit he reaches the ranged portion of the evaluation. Under the watchful eye of the instructor Andre hefts one of the several javelins he has brought with him. With a half run forward towards the hay target Andre lets fly with his javelin.

Attack Roll + Freebooters Bane 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Damage Roll 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Just as he lets the javelin go, he seems to stumble on the gravel and his javelin flies wildly off course. "Lookout!" Andre yells as the javelin barely misses a group of recruits that are running along with weights. Cursing under his breath, as his evaluator scowls at him. Andre slinks off to the next station.

"At the Strength and Endurance station"

After reaching the end of the weapons portion, Andre finally comes to the last event. As he watches the recruits in-front of him pick up large wooden beams and run with them around the courtyard for ten laps Andre can't help but think that Sable Company might have been the better option. No backing out now Andre, just get it done and move on. You know this is what you need to do if you want to get a hold of that case file. Once it is his turn in line Andre squats down and lifts up the large beam and puts it over his shoulders.

Strength Check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Easily lifting the massive beam Andre slings it over one shoulder and begins to take off at a loping pace around the training yard.

Fortitude Save 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Not just running with the heavy load, Andre sprints around the yard. Lap after lap seem to go by in the blink of a eye. Reaching the finish Andre heaves the log off his shoulders and wipes the sweat off his brow before he goes to get some water and watch the other recruits finish their tasks.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1
Allysen wrote:
Garridan Krale wrote:

Garridan takes the offered hand and gives a firm shake, though he looks surprised when Allysen says she's almost 30.

"I'm Garridan... Garridan Krale. Sorry, you don't look much older than my younger sister. Didn't take you for a priestess."

"You'd be surprised how often I hear that. I never said I was a priestess, though, just a follower of Iomedae. You're right though. I'm only a minor one though, and little skilled in the gifts I am given. What might you be, Garridan Krale? I'm thinking soldier."

She is enjoying herself as she gets to know the met, but she catches a shock of green hair about waist-high between two of the recruits.

"Actually, can you answer that while we go over here? I see someone I think is in need of a little cheering up."

With that she begins to make her way over to the green-haired gnome.

"Uh, just Garridan is fine, if it pleases. And, yeah, I'm a soldier after a fashion."

"At least that sounds better than 'ditch digger and day laborer with some fencing lessons and a few years of education'..", he thinks as he follows Allysen, just nodding to Pai without time for an introduction.

Being processed...
Garridan keeps his teeth clenched, coloring slightly as Verik quite loudly recalls his father... and emphasizes his last name.
"Thanks, Vancaskerkin. If you're still this much of a loudmouth, I'd have to wager your sword-arm is just as mediocre... at which point, I look forward to seeing you in the practice yard.", he thinks bitterly.
He takes the cloak and moves on. "Thanks.", he says.

While he does fairly well on the picking things up and hauling them section of training, the encounter with Verik left a bad taste in Garridan's mouth- enough to throw him off his game the rest of the training day.
Strength check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Melee attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Ranged attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Fortitude save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Melee Attack1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Strength Check1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Ranged Attack1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Fort Save1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Duncan spent the better portion of the day going through the motions. Even looking a bit underdone. He'd been raised by the church of Imodae and knew full well how training camps worked. They needed to be broken down as a group before being built back up again. Front runners and showoffs would only be targeted harder and he and Graxlo REALLY needed to blend in right now. The guard were (hopefully) less likely to judge his brother harshly for his arcane dallying if they were 'one of the boys' so to speak.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo gives a sideways look at Angus, then comes over

Perception DC15+Dwarven or Angus:
"Yer every bit and sometimes more the warrior than me, why ye making yerself look like a wet babe out there?"


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus keeps his voice low, DC 15

Dwarven:
This lot're t'be our fellows and squad mates. Makin em look bad on the first day ain't gonna make us any friends. Just stay with the pack a bit. We can distinguish ourselves AFTER we have a few buddies. Eh?

Angus gives Graxlo a pat, then jumps back into training before any drill sergeants see them speaking. He makes a show of effort but largely stays at the back of the group, helping the weaker recruits get up when their minds make them think their bodies were spent. He wasn't one to leave anybody behind.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo suddenly seams a lot less grumpy, and a lot more helpful. He starts subtely giving some new people tips, and doesn't show off like he did earlier.Haha I've always said we make a scary team brother


Pai:

Gluckle is pleased with your overall progress. "It is clear you've given thought to how to use your spells. I am impressed, though I don't necessarily want to know where you came up with these insights. It appears that you have the innate ability to disguise yourself, but perhaps we'll need to work on that some more tomorrow, eh? You've done good. Go get some food and rest, and we'll resume our studies tomorrow." With that, you're excused to the mess hall.

Everyone Else:

It seems as if Gau Soldado, your training officer, is perpetually shaking his head in disgust at the numerous failures you and the other recruits engage in. "We'd better hope our foes like getting in our faces - you lot couldn't hit an ogre from 3' away. It's clear what we'll be working on in the coming days."

He does seem pleased at the group's overall strength and endurance, but his feelings are mixed when it comes to your combat prowess.

However as badly as you five have done, others have done far worse. By the end of the day, only 10 of the 20 original recruits remain. The others unable to carry the weight, endure the strain or even look as if they've seen a sword are dismissed, thanked for their service and asked never to return.

"All right - head on in to the mess hall and get your grub. We'll be back at it bright and early tomorrow morning." With that, you're excused to the mess hall.

When you arrive in the mess hall, you find that it's not overly large and is mostly empty, as many of the members of the guard are either on duty or already returned to their homes. Apart from the 10 recruits, there is only a handful of other, senior guardsman, all of whom look utterly uninterested in chatting with a bunch of new bloods.

The meal is plain but filling and as you have no other responsibilities for the evening, you have the time to continue getting to know your fellow recruits.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus sits down and enjoys his fare. One great thing about mess food, simple fare, but there was plenty of it. Angus was sure to ear fill.

He looks about the table to his remaining squad mates.
Don't believe we had the time t'chat while we were all getting yelled at. And ye names are?


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

The gnome entered the mess hall, noticing immediately that the recruits were roughly halved. I wonder what happened to the rest?

Pai wasn't a huge fan of the gruel put before all the recruits, but she was surprisingly hungry after working at her craft all day. She grabbed her share, and turned to look for Allysen, who she had a quick conversation with earlier.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1
Angus Coldforge wrote:

Angus sits down and enjoys his fare. One great thing about mess food, simple fare, but there was plenty of it. Angus was sure to ear fill.

He looks about the table to his remaining squad mates.
Don't believe we had the time t'chat while we were all getting yelled at. And ye names are?

The young man at the end of the table looks up from his meal.

"Garridan. Good to meet you all.", he says a bit glumly.


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)

Pai finds Allysen holding her head in her hands looking down into an untouched bowl of gruel.

"I swear I know how to swing a sword better than that."

She looks up and at the others, then spots Pai. Her face brightens a little and a tired smile dimples her freckled cheeks.

"Hello Pai! I hope you did better than I did."

If her earlier statement is anything to go by, she is sincere about that.


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo walks in, fussing with his weapon and looking at the edge. Frowning, he sits next to his brother without looking or addressing anyone. he idly takes a bite of food, then pulls out a large book, looking between his weapon and it, using cantrips and rarely taking a bite of gruel


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

"Stop wallowing, that's not how you earn respect.", Krale reminds himself.

Garridan clears his throat.
"It was an off-day for me as well, Allysen, and for a lot of us I'm sure. Tomorrow we'll do better. As long as we're still here, Watch-Sergeant Soldado must see potential."


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)
Angus Coldforge wrote:

Angus sits down and enjoys his fare. One great thing about mess food, simple fare, but there was plenty of it. Angus was sure to ear fill.

He looks about the table to his remaining squad mates.
Don't believe we had the time t'chat while we were all getting yelled at. And ye names are?

This food is terrible, what did they do, throw a boot into the soup to thicken it up? Looking dejectedly down at his fair the unshaven man briefly looks up at the dwarf. "The name is Andre. And honestly I don't know how you can eat this food. I wondered why I haven't seen any rats running around the keep... now I know why. Anyhow looks like we lost a few today... no surprise there"

Garridan Krale wrote:

Garridan clears his throat.

"It was an off-day for me as well, Allysen, and for a lot of us I'm sure. Tomorrow we'll do better. As long as we're still here, Watch-Sergeant Soldado must see potential."

Throwing his spoon into the bowl of slop Andre pushes it away. "Or the guard is just desperate for more men."


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Pai nods at Garridan, not having been properly introduced, but hears him comforting Allysen. "Good evening, Allysen. Sounds like your day has not been terribly productive either. I can sympathize. I flunked what I thought was going to be my strongest area. There was a bit more pressure here than I expected."

Once she sees her friend feeling a bit better, she turns to Garridan and introduces herself. "Pleasure to make your acquaintence," she greets the human and then nods at all the others commiserating at the table.


HP 16/16; AC 17/11/16; CMD 14; Perception +1

"Glad to meet you, Pai.", Krale says shortly before Andre tosses aside his food.
Garridan looks a touch irritated. "Food's still probably better than what dad's eating..."
"If that were the case, don't you reckon this mess hall would be a bit more crowded? And I'm terribly sorry m'lord doesn't find the food to his liking; perhaps there was a mix-up in the kitchens and the chef will retrieve the roast venison from the prison where it was mislaid."


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)
Garridan Krale wrote:

"Stop wallowing, that's not how you earn respect.", Krale reminds himself.

Garridan clears his throat.
"It was an off-day for me as well, Allysen, and for a lot of us I'm sure. Tomorrow we'll do better. As long as we're still here, Watch-Sergeant Soldado must see potential."

"I hope so. At least I didn't almost skewer someone with a spear." She gives Andre a teasing grin before continuing on. "I was offered a chance to learn how to use a bow once by a ranger. I should have taken the man up on that. Maybe I wouldn't have messed up so badly on that part then."

Pai Kromnite wrote:

Pai nods at Garridan, not having been properly introduced, but hears him comforting Allysen. "Good evening, Allysen. Sounds like your day has not been terribly productive either. I can sympathize. I flunked what I thought was going to be my strongest area. There was a bit more pressure here than I expected."

Once she sees her friend feeling a bit better, she turns to Garridan and introduces herself. "Pleasure to make your acquaintence," she greets the human and then nods at all the others commiserating at the table.

"Heh. You're no the only one. Who's ever heard of an Iomedaen that can't wield a sword?"

Allysen chuckles a bit at the self-deperacating comment and takes a bite of the still warm gruel, and nearly sprays Angus when Garridan mentions fetching the venison from the prisons. Fortunately for the both of them, she manages to swallow her food before embarrassing herself. The snickering doesn't last too long, but it certainly helps improve her mood.

"Well, it's not the best I've ever had, but it's still better than field rations. I still don't like eating hard-tack. I'm scared I'm going to chip a tooth even after boiling it in water for a bit."

She goes to take another bite of her supper when she suddenly looks up blushing from embarrassment.

"I'm sorry I forgot to introduce myself. The name's Allysen. I already know Pai and Garridan. Andre has already introduced himself, so who would you two be?" She looks at the two dwarves, waiting to see who they are.


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus responds first. Imodaen ye said eh? Sad t'say I never seen ye at the temple of Many. That don't mean much I guess. Big city after all. I be Angus and this ere's me younger brother Graxlo. We were living with the Imodaens there fear most o our lives, but time to forge our own path now, so here we are


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo hears his name and his eyes turn to Angus, flicks his eyes toward Allysen, then keeps reading. His eyes stop going over the lines Ah right, friends and all that Graxlo looks up, surveys the table (seeing everyone for the first time) then says "I don't s'pose there's a chance any of you could assist me in an arcane weapon problem?"


M Dwarf Witchunter Inquisitor (Init +1,AC18, F4/R1/W4+5vs spls/poison, HP10) Witchunter Inquisitor

Angus rolls his eyes. True to form Graxlo didn't dance about polite talk. He goes back to his bowl. Me bothers a fine warrior but thinks e's a wizard. Reckon the wean mother dropped im once or twice but he CAN do magic. I prefer steel but ever works right?


Female Demon-Blooded Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard 1 (HP: 7/7 AC 14/12/12: F -1, R +4, W+3, Per:+7, Init: +2, Bardic Performance: 4/7, Arrows: 39)
Angus Coldforge wrote:

Angus responds first. Imodaen ye said eh? Sad t'say I never seen ye at the temple of Many. That don't mean much I guess. Big city after all. I be Angus and this ere's me younger brother Graxlo. We were living with the Imodaens there fear most o our lives, but time to forge our own path now, so here we are

"Yes it is a big city, but I'm fresh in from Andoran. I wish you wisdom in your journey." Allysen looks at the two brothers and wonders for a moment why they left the temple, but lets it go at that. She had no reason not to trust them, and if they wound up working together, those two would be handy in a fight.

If they put their hearts into it.

Graxlo wrote:
Graxlo hears his name and his eyes turn to Angus, flicks his eyes toward Allysen, then keeps reading. His eyes stop going over the lines Ah right, friends and all that Graxlo looks up, surveys the table (seeing everyone for the first time) then says "I don't s'pose there's a chance any of you could assist me in an arcane weapon problem?"

"Afraid not. My gifts are more of the divine variety."


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

"I could take a look at any problems you might be experiencing, Mr....ah, Graxlo, I think it was. What seems to be the trouble? I am Pai, by the way," she adds, looking down to the far end of the table, where the dwarves had congregated.


Male Human Ranger (Freebooter, Urban Ranger) 1 AC 19/12/17 / HP 12/12 /F +3 R +4 W +1/Init. +2/Perc. +5/)
Garridan Krale wrote:

"Glad to meet you, Pai.", Krale says shortly before Andre tosses aside his food.

Garridan looks a touch irritated. "Food's still probably better than what dad's eating..."
"If that were the case, don't you reckon this mess hall would be a bit more crowded? And I'm terribly sorry m'lord doesn't find the food to his liking; perhaps there was a mix-up in the kitchens and the chef will retrieve the roast venison from the prison where it was mislaid."

"If you got something you want to say Garridan, then say it." Andre growls from across the table. "The hall's empty because the foods bad, and people would rather eat on their own time and dime then this pig slop. And don't call me m'lord, I work for a living." Reaching for his tankard Andre takes a long drink of water before he reaches into his belt pouch and retrieves some tobacco and starts to roll it into a cigarette. "I know how the city works Garridan. Wear this cloak around town and don't be surprised if the local eateries gives you free meals. Everyone knows It's good to be friendly with the authorities. Or at least the wise ones do."

Allysen wrote:


"I hope so. At least I didn't almost skewer someone with a spear." She gives Andre a teasing grin before continuing on. "I was offered a chance to learn how to use a bow once by a ranger. I should have taken the man up on that. Maybe I wouldn't have messed up so badly on that part then."

Grimly chuckling Andre leans in towards Allysen "It was a javelin actually. Ranged weaponry isn't really my expertise, but if you want to know how to use a shield and sword together, well I know a thing or two."


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Graxlo feels a flash of anger and he clenches his fist "I'm a magus not a wizard and ye bloody well know the difference! I put my steel in heads just as much as ye do" He settles down, then looks at Pai "Thank Nethys somebody I can talk to" He picks up his things and sits next to Pai

Sylvan:
"It twas the strangest damn thing, I coulda swore me maulaxe whispered ta me. I detected some strange magic on it thas never been there, but I can't find nothing out t'bout it. I figured somebodies playing a stupid joke on me. Any ideas?


Gnome Illusionist 10 HP 70/56; AC 14(18); F +6 R +6 W +9; Init. +6; Perc. +5

Pai looks at the dwarf strangely for a second before responding to him in Sylvan.

Graxlo

Spoiler:
"Ah, you have a gift for languages too, I see. I always say that reflects an inherent intelligence to be able to pick up the turns and twists of someone else's native tongue.." Realizing she was rambling and getting off topic, as most gnome's were wont to do, she tried to re-focus herself. "Now, I am certainly no expert on weaponry, as I prefer a more delicate approach to magic, but let me take a look." Assuming the dwarf hands over his axed, the gnome looks closely at the blade to see if there was anything that would give a hint as to its properties. She casts Detect Magic to help with the examination.

Know. Arcana 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Spellcraft 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter) (Bladebound) 1/ AC 15-11-14/ HP 10/10 / F+4 R+1 W+2 (Magic +5)/ Init +1/ Perc +5

Pai:
unfortunately didn't roll high enough. just fyi, it's foreshadowing to my bladebound archetype. apparently identifying that is 15+caster lv of items creator Graxlo shifts and looks unhappy, but it's just about the weapon, not towards Pai "Ah ye tried. See now I like a more direct approach ta magic. No reason ta be a trickster if ya can just put em in tha dirt." Despite the different approach to the arcane, Graxlo is liking having somebody to have an intelligent conversation with

1 to 50 of 292 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In Service To Korvosa - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.