Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

In Search of Heroes (Inactive)

Game Master verdigris

Play-by-Post game set in Darkmoon Vale, using the Pathfinder ruleset.


151 to 200 of 4,787 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The questions come quickly, for there is 6 of the tall ones and only one poor grig to answer them all. Still, she does her level best,

"Before plain was plain, when the dark heart of the woods covered all the land between the rise to the south and the world of high ice and deep fire to the north, there was only us. Then men and their kind came. T'was before my time, and I do not ken all it ever was, but the trees sing a song of a contract danced beneath the brightest moon, danced nearly the whole night through until a great darkness fell, blotting the moon and twisting the contract in man's favor. Too late to dance again, the contract endured, and so it does now, in man's favor. But there is a limit to everything, and the contract is no different. Should the balance finally fail, should your cast-offs outweigh the land's ability to absorb them, then the contract will pass into dust, and the truce will be no longer. "

She seems to approve of Simon's new cleanliness, landing closer on her next short flight of agitation.

"I know naught of the plagues of man, save the obvious infection of the same upon the land. What do your healers say?" The last she addresses to Dorial, Nimeon, and Simon in particular.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast ponders where Simon's hands had recently been before returning the Lastwall fistbump and returning his attention to the fey cricket.

That's quite a story. Amazing.

Kast wipes off his bumping hand on the grass.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

"This plague is a mystery to our healers", Simon addresses the fascinating Grig respectfully, "The search for clues to what may have caused it is what brought us to the graveyard at night, a trek I would certainly never have made on my own." Simon gives a meaningful look down at his recently cleaned britches. "Usually such affliction is caused by too many of us living together in unsanitary conditions, unable to escape the sickness that escapes the infected lips of others, or the vermin that infest such homes. But this plague is strange, it does not have such obvious conditions. Our town isn't dense, or filthy, such a sickness should not exist here."

Simon watches as Kast wipes his hand on the grass. Thanks, pal, that'll build my confidence.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"We may have to go where the plague victims start instead of where they end to solve this mystery my friends."

I think the general store has some diapers, we should get a few for Simon if we're going to be heading into more danger.


Sorry for the late response. The lack of internet at home (and not enough signal to tether my phone properly) and busy at work has prevented me from posting. I have been able to keep up with events though.

Though the music and impulse to dance has stopped, Dorial remains moving gracefully with the wind.

In Sylvan:
"I would love to come dance to your music again Twigzystril Zap Caprice. It is very beautiful."

She slows her dancing as she gathers with the rest of the party.

Knowledge Nature for Twig, trees, truce, etc.1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

"Twigzystril, have any of the trees become sick recently? We thought the plague was caused by ingesting food, but signs now point to water and I would be most upset if the trees were affected as well."


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe returns the 'Fistwall Bump' to Simon. "It's nothing really, we all have our moments."

He becomes silent as the others talk to the Grig.

If the cemetery has nothing for us - other than another reason to stop the plague sooner than later - where to next? Hrm. We really don't know where the plague begins. It could be with the water, but that's just conjecture. It could be with the food, but there's no way for us to know.

We need to ignore that, and come at it from the other direction. Who benefits from the plague? What is there to gain by removing the village here? Sounds like the Sylvan folk gain, but they're bound by contract and so wouldn't start it.

OK then smarty pants. How to find out who benefits from the plague?

"Can anyone think of who might benefit from this village ceasing to exist? I think we're asking the wrong question. We need to find out who is behind all this and then we'll learn the how. We don't have the skills to test the water or food to really determine if they are the source. But we might be able to find out the 'who'."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast nods in slow agreement with Othoe the Gnome.

"I agree Othoe. While I enjoyed watching you all dance, I think the path to our solution lies elsewhere. This was not all in vain, as we met a new friend." Kast nods happily to Twig.

Kast is ready to move on when everyone is done with the RP.


Dorial: Her face lights at the gift of a more fluid speech, and she answers in kind, "જ્યારે ચંદ્ર પૂર્ણ છે, જેમ કે તે આજની રાત કે સાંજ શાઇન્સ, મને જોવા આવે છે અને હું રાજીખુશીથી તમારે માટે ટ્યુન ભજવે છે. તે ડરી ગયેલું એક સારી લાવો, જો તે ઘર તાલીમ હોઇ શકે છે. તેમણે મને ... ના કોઈને યાદ અપાવે છે ... હું એકવાર પ્રિય યોજાઇ હતી."

Sylvan:
"When your plague is cured and order restored, and when the moon shines fully down, come see me and I will gladly play a tune for you. Bring the frightened one as well, if he can be soothed to a socially acceptable level. He reminds me of...someone... I once held dear."

Dorial wrote:
"Twigzystril, have any of the trees become sick recently? We thought the plague was caused by ingesting food, but signs now point to water and I would be most upset if the trees were affected as well."

She ponders the thought for a moment, then shakes her head, "My trees seem fine, though many things that sicken my trees seem to have no effect upon humans and their ilk. It could be that the reverse is also true, could it not? I know many lovely plants that, through no fault of their own, can bring a man low in but a single fragrant evening. Perhaps someone has wandered where they ought not?" Her silvery wings shiver as she shrugs, the answer quite beyond her.

As the conversation turns and the moon dips deeper into the trees, the tiny creature taps a toe or two impatiently. "the moon grows weary, and daylight threatens. I am not one for the company of Men, and yet, the evening has not been entirely unpleasant. Come again, and dance for me, when your plague is assuaged and the balance strengthened."


"Thank you Twigzystril, you have been most helpful."

Turning to the rest of the group, "She has given us another area of search. This town harvests trees correct? What if they stumbled upon something in one of their new sites?"

Maybe an old ruin, or poisonous grove. Hmm, so many possibilities.

-


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Chrystosm rubs his chin thoughtfully, producing a loud rasping sound.

"We're all assuming that it's something deliberate. What if someone's just been careless - what if that mill's just been slack about dealing with its runoff? Or if it is deliberate, maybe it's someone trying to corner the market - drive the local logging combine out of business. Money talks loudest, after all"

He jingles the handful of coins in his pocket, then speaks again:

"So - where to? Back to the inn, or are we all up for a midnight ramble?"


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"The logging sites will be watched during the day, and they don't take kindly to visitors. They're as likely to press us into labor as drive us off. If we want to look into their activities now's the time."

Nimeon stands with conviction, ready to lead the group to the camp if that consensus is reached.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))
Chrystosm wrote:
"So - where to? Back to the inn, or are we all up for a midnight ramble?"

"I think we've made some good headway today. We should, while there is no immediate rush, preserve our sleeping patterns and conserve our energy. Shall we all meet first thing at Simon's home?"

Othoe starts to walk back to town with the group.

Where to sleep tonight? The meadow by the wall was most pleasant last night, perhaps I should revisit that spot. Save my money and stretch it as long as possible.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast ponders where to sleep tonight, his efforts to find money and/or work having failed this day and still with too few coins in his purse.

Such is the life of a soldier, I suppose.

Sidling up to Simon, Kast addresses his friend.

"Might I still take you up on your offer of the greenhouse spot, Simon? The hedge last night was neither comfortable nor warm and I would appreciate even a bit of either this night."

Kast nods at Othoe.

"Yeah, meeting at his house once I know where it is, would be fine."


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

With their path set, Simon thanks Twigzystril for the evening dance and the information, and turns to his companions to form their plans for moving forward.

"I like Chrystosm's idea of being Midnight Ramblers, it would be the best time to investigate the logging camps, but Othoe has a good point about conserving our energy. I don't think we should give this plague a chance to spread, but too much haste leads to recklessness. Let us sleep this night and eat well in the morning, then gather any supplies we need and plan our journey for the next evening."

Plus, that'll give me a chance to change these britches before Othoe's spell wears off.

"You're all welcome to sleep at my place, my friends. My home is small, but a workshop and greenhouse adjoin it, if we push a few tables out of the way and are careful where we step in the night then we should all be able to fit. Dorial, you can put your bedroll up on the herb shelf and prop the windows open, it's the closest you can get to being outdoors while still having a glass roof over your head."


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Nimeon sighs.

"I'd hate to delay justice Simon but it seems the group wishes to rest. I welcome the offer of your home, and thank you for it."


Sorry guys, but the logging camps aren't an easy ramble. They're at least a 16hr hike, as Simon would likely tell you along the way (sorry Simon)camps set up for 3-4 weeks at a time, then float home on rafts of logs for a week in town.

The trudge back through the dark is far from magical, though entering the village comes easily enough. His wracking cough takes all of the guard's attention, leaving the gate open for the companions' return.

Though small, Simon's home is larger than most, thanks to the greenhouse attached to the front. A single lamp burns somewhere inside, throwing wildly odd shadows upon the windows. Similar shapes lurk inside, reaching for the travelers in the dark, turning to lush green plants within the light.

Beds arranged, the few remaining hours of the night speed quickly by, until dawn and the movement of a wakening town brings an end to their slumber.

fort save 14 or less:
Sleep hasn't eased the aches of last night's meandering, and perhaps it is the many plants within the green house that makes your eyes and throat burn.

The monstrosities from last night stay their lush green selves in the daylight, and while most bear nothing but discovery, there are a few that offer luscious fruits for the taking, though there is naught but water to drink.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

"Errr, pardon the mess, I'm not the best homemaker as you can see."

Fortitude Save: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Simon wakes stiff and sore, the sting of weariness in every muscle fiber, even behind his eyelids.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 Fort save

Kast rests peacefully, somewhat grateful not be sleeping completely alone.

He doesn't dream much, his thoughts are empty and he feels chance at his true calling has passed and sleeps without dreams as he pursues a path of scholarship.

* * *

In the morning, Kast awakes early for his usual routine.

  • Awake early and massage and rub his left leg until it is ready to move again.
  • Spend a few minutes in quiet and somber meditation to Irori, asking for the patience to pursue perfection despite his obvious flaws.
  • Dressing himself in his armor and checking his weapons for rust, scratches or imperfections that might tarnish their sting.

Then Kast retreats outside to practice with the longspear and morningstar, splitting his time between jabbing through a push with the spear and trying to knock down a tree with the morningstar.

There are limits to what I can learn alone, but I shall keep practicing until I am perfect. A perfect soldier.

He tries to keep his mind in alignment with his weapons, trying to adapt for his obvious slowness and lack of dexterity with smart blows and ample positioning.

If given the time, we will practice for an hour and will seek food when he is done.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

"It's quite fine, and better than sleeping in the streets - or the pub - by a wide margin! Thank you for your generosity."

Fortitude Save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 vs DC 15

Othoe sleeps soundly and awakens refreshed and ready to face another day. Using Prestidigitation liberally he makes his morning toilet (paying special attention to his nails, polishing them to a fine shine!) he shaves his face, and then carefully cleans his wig before repositioning it firmly.

He then spends an hour preparing his spells for the day, largely unchanged from the day before.

Status:
HP: 7/7
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 6/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Infernal Healing, Magic Missile w/ Topple

"So what is the plan for today. As much as I'd like to check the logging camp, that is a multi-day affair and I'm not sure we've exhausted our search of the town as yet. But where do we start?"


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

"Better than a barracks any day. Or a cell, for that matter..."

Fort save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Chrystosm takes a long time to wake up; when he does, he eats, washes, decides not to shave (again) and then heads outdoors, coughing and rubbing his sore throat.

Ach, I feel awful, and I'm not even hung over!

Spotting Kast practicing, he walks over. "Ha, pike drill! I remember that. Want to spar?"

If Kast agrees, he'll practice with the Varisian until it's time to move out. If not, he'll work out on his own for a little while.

When it's time to move on...

Othoe wrote:
"So what is the plan for today. As much as I'd like to check the logging camp, that is a multi-day affair and I'm not sure we've exhausted our search of the town as yet. But where do we start?"

"Can you tell anything from bones? I mean, much as I hate to suggest it, would having a look through the rubbish pile tell us anything? You know, whether what people have been eating is animal or, er, something else..."


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Fort Save DC 15: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Nimeon wakes with his usual routine, a quick stretch followed by a patrol of the "camp".

Now why did I sleep here? My mother's house is just down the street. Of course then I'd have to talk to her.

"Chrystosm, are you feeling well?"


"Thank you Simon. The herb shop will be nice."

Dorial spends a few minutes setting up her sleeping area before laying down for the night.

Fort save:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Dorial awakes with a stiffness in her back.

I appreciate Simon's gesture, but that was most uncomfortable. I must get ready for the day ahead.

She spends the next hour communing as she prepares her spells for the day.

Keep the same 0-level spells but swapping out one of the speak with animals for an entangle spell.

Once she's done communing, she makes her way to the stable's outside the tavern to spend some time with Bacon. After 20 minutes, she returns to find Kast practicing with his spear.

"Good morning Kast. Oh, and hello to you as well Chrystosm. *Cough* Did you both sleep well?"

Hearing Othoe, "Well perhaps we do not seek the logging camps, but rather inspect the trees that are sent to the mill? If we can find any signs there then perhaps we can trace the origins."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast welcomes Chrysto's offer to spar with vigor.

"That would be great! I have so much to learn and to practice...to do so against someone else would be great," Kast says happily while practicing an untrained thrust into a shrub.

"Hee-YA!" Kast winces as the pain in his left leg causes him to wobble a bit, ruining the perfect tension of his thrust.

I must practice again and again. And again. Until I get it right.

Kast will spar with Chrystosm for a bit before calling for a halt.

"Chrystosm, are you well? Are you coming down with the plague?"

If so, we need to figure out what he did differently since he's been in town, because I might be next.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

"Why don't we start clean and end dirty? We'll begin our search today at the mill, and move along to the rubbish pile afterward. Agreed?"

"If we don't find anything, I'd like to talk to Laurel Planrick again and maybe make a list of all the folks who have been infected. We may be able to find a pattern there. Also, we should get an illness plot from her. What does the plague do to you first? How does it run it's course? And in the end, how does it kill you? These are things we should know too."

I was clearly out of it yesterday or I would have asked her then and there. Sigh, focus Othoe focus!


Another bright and sunny day, dust motes dance in the air as Chrystosm and Kast spar, flying off of the former's clothes when the latter lands a particularly accurate and sturdy hit.

percept 13:
a similar fine, black dust coats window sills in the greenhouse and a few damp black chunks like what Simon pulled from the well yesterday.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

During the lull in his sparring, Kast will examine the dust that has begun to cover his body.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 Know (Arcana, History, Nature, Religion, all +7)

Success or failure, Kast will find Simon.

"Back in a moment, Chrysto..." Kast walks to Simon. "Simon, remember that junk we found yesterday in the well? Well, lookee at this stuff. Same?"


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Still rubbing his burning eyes, Simon makes his way outside were the sounds of sparring can be heard.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Kast shows him the black gunk and Simon pulls the little bit that he saved from the well yesterday to compare.

"Looks about the same to me, though I've no idea of what it is? Where did you find this?"


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Uhm...Simon, roll some dice, make a knowledge check, eh?

Kast explains where he got the gunk.

"It was on me after I started sparring...after a while, I was covered."


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Perception DC 13: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
K. Nature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
K. Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

"Hold on Kast, I recognize some of that too. It was on Simon's windows in the greenhouse where we slept! Simon, where has your greenhouse been lately?"

Wait, did that make...no. I think I slept to close to the halfling, I'm starting to catch his crazy.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

"Nimeon, I promise you, the greenhouse never goes anywhere without my permission." Simon looks about shiftily.

"I don't remember my books so well, green thumbs is more my thing." Simon rubs a pinch of the black stuff between a finger and his thumb.

Profession (Herbalist): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


The first piece falls apart in Simon's hands, almost instantly turning to dust, but Nimeon finds another piece lodged in Chrystosm's hair. This one is fresher, firmer, and larger, a dark spongy thing that holds firm, leaving a slimy trail in both Chrystosm's hair and Simon's hand as it is examined.

Simon:
You seem to remember something about Blackscour in your parents books, and remember also someone mentioning that the infusions that Laurel is providing is also related to blackscour fungus as well, though, more than that eludes you.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

"Strange, this almost seems like the Blackscour fungus I read about as a youth. I think Laurel was using something related to it? Why is this stuff everywhere, I don't remember anything like this in all my years of living here."


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 10

"What's that... Yeuch! I don't remember this happening before!"

He coughs again.

"Whatever it is, it's getting into my lungs. A walk in the wood sounds good - just the thing to clear out the old pipes..."


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 vs DC 13

Hrm, this is new.

"I wonder if the same dust is over all the village or just Simon's home? If this is the plague, and someone is actively trying to spread it, it may just be on this house this morning. Then we should talk to Laurel - this is our first solid lead! We should find out as much about this fungus as we can."

Othoe checks the neighboring houses quickly and returns to the group.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast will wash off the gunk as best he can using Create Water.

"Yeah, Othoe, good points. We should go talk to Laurel. This is a interesting and a step in a direction."

Better than hiking 16 hours to a logging camp.

Kast runs to gather his equipment up, making quick thanks to Chrystosm for the sparring. "We'll do more tomorrow!"

Kast begins to walk to Laurel's before stopping.

I don't want to get sick. Soldiers don't get sick on duty.

Kast retrieves a rag from his pack and ties it around his nose and mouth.


Perception 15 while checking the houses within the cul-de-sac:
The dust varies on the neighboring houses. For instance, Nimeon's mother's home has almost none, just a little beneath the overhangs.

Perception 20 while checking the same houses:
Save for Nimeon's mother's home, the houses that seem to have the most of the dust also have spongy clumps growing in damp overhangs and stagnant water areas, such as the pig trough behind one of the houses.


Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Dorial scoops up a few clumps of dust that have accumulated on the ground before her. While examining it she overhears the conversation between Simon and Nimeon.

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

"Simon, would you still have this book that described the Blackscour? I'd be interested in learning more about."

Hmm, I wonder where this would have to be distributed if it was brought in by the winds.

Survival to determine best distribution source: 1d2 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

"I think Othoe is right that we should seek Miss Laurel to find out what she knows about this as well."


Dorial:
Blackscour is a fungus that grows in damp conditions, especially those around the roots of darkwood trees. Living blackscour isn't dangerous, though blackscour can ruin a water source if left to rot in it.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

"I see my mother still keeps a clean house. No doubt her husband's influence. Let us go see Laurel and perhaps she can shed light on this dust."

She wouldn't be the source would she?


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3
Kast Phaer wrote:
Kast runs to gather his equipment up, making quick thanks to Chrystosm for the sparring. "We'll do more tomorrow!"

Chrystosm grins and nods. "Drill, drill and more drill - that's what makes a man of you!"

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 4

"Nothing out of the ordinary here so far as I can see..."

Chrystosm will walk to Laurel's with the others


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast follows along as well, waiting to get to Laurel's.

Drill, baby, drill, Kast thinks, agreeing with Chrystosm.


A sign, scrawled on sturdy parchment and tacked to the door, explains vacant space in front of the Roots and Remedies when the companions arrive,

Out of stock, Check back tomorrow.

Though closed, the door isn't locked, and opens easily into the waiting room, which is also empty. Banging and the scent of incense, spices and ash come from the workroom further on.

Bunches of dried herbs hang from the ceiling, along with dangling pots, presses, alchemical apparatuses, and glassware of more arcane purposes. Pouches of rare plants, jars of colored glass, and all manner of dried, preserved, and jellied animal parts fill high shelves and tables doing double duty as displays and workspaces. In the back of the room, Laurel mutters herself as she picks up first one, then another glass jar from the many shelves,

"I can't be out! There must be something. I wonder if I can use mouse ears instead?"


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

"ahem. Miss Planrick, I wonder if we could interrupt for just a moment and ask you a few questions? ...and perhaps we can help you find more of whatever it is you are out of as well."

"We found some Blackscour fungus in the village. Could you tell us it's properties?"

I don't want to alarm her with where we found it. Not yet anyway...


Turning at the sound of your voice, her face a wan and dotted with sweat "I'm sorry we're... Oh. Simon, it's you and your friends again. Othoe, was it? I am out of so many things, but no wonder, if what you say is true. Blackscour is here in the village? Actually growing in the village? Oh that can't be good. But it does explain so much, actually. So many cases. So virulent. Why it keeps returning. Oh this isn't good."

The woman rambles, reaching for her jars one after the other, her attention immediately back to the problem in front of her. Eventually, she remembers the question and returns to it,

"Blackscour is a fungus that grows on darkwood trees. When living, blackscour fungus is harmless. Rotting blackscour, however, is not. It can cause blackscour Taint, a slimy mold that spoils water and causes fevers, chills, and a wet rattling cough in people that drink the tainted water."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast gulps deeply at Laurel's words.

I'm sure glad I 'make' my own water. Praise Irori!

"But Laurel, there is Blackscour in the town well! What can we do about that?" Kast's eyes shift to Simon and Chrystosm. "And what can we do about those who are infected?"


Kast Phaer wrote:

Kast gulps deeply at Laurel's words.

I'm sure glad I 'make' my own water. Praise Irori!

"But Laurel, there is Blackscour in the town well! What can we do about that?" Kast's eyes shift to Simon and Chrystosm. "And what can we do about those who are infected?"

"someone will need to clean the well, but I..." she looks at the mess of opened and discarded jars around her, clears her throat, "I'm out of what I need for the infusions I've been giving people. It doesn't really cure it, anyway. It helps with the symptoms, and hopefully their own body's are able to cast it off. But I am running low on what I need to make even that!

"I remember a book my grandmother had when I was very young, I think it had a different recipe in it, something that would actually cure the plague." She stifles a sigh and sits down with a thump on the bench behind her, "But I haven't seen it in years."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast feels a certain amount of dejection at Laurel's lack of an immediate cure, but rallies to find the positive.

"Hmmm...is there a way we can help you find more herbs? Or is there a chance your grandmother's recipe still exists someplace? How can we help?"


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon stifles a cough and rubs his burning eyes again.

"Dear Laurel, we'll do what we can to find your grandmother's lost tome and to clean the well, but we'll also need to stop whatever has caused the blackscour infestation in the first place, otherwise we only address the symptoms and not the source of the troubles."

Simon puts a stabilizing hand on the shoulder of Nimeon as another cough wracks his frame.

"Where do you think the tome may be now, or where was the last place you remember seeing it?"

"How do we clean the well of the fungus and then keep it clean?"

"Could the blackscour infestation be from the Darkwood logging alone?"

Simon rubs his burning eyes again, recognizing that rest isn't in their near future.


"Oh I'm sure it must be around here somewhere. What isn't here.." she says, gesturing to the very cluttered workshop, "was stored upstairs in the attic...or in the basement...I uhhh." she leans back against the wall, letting her head rest on the window jamb for a moment. "Sorry, what was I saying?"


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon gives a concerned look at the woman, she's always had a quick mind, why forgetful now?

"We would be glad to search for it, Laurel, if you don't mind us poking about in the attic and basement?"

151 to 200 of 4,787 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "In Search of Heroes" gameplay thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.