Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

In Search of Heroes (Inactive)

Game Master verdigris

Play-by-Post game set in Darkmoon Vale, using the Pathfinder ruleset.


801 to 850 of 4,787 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

Although Kast tries to enter the tower, like Chrystosm before him, the door sticks, taking a good hard shove with his shoulder. Finally breaking loose, the door creaks as it swings on rusty hinges, and what little light lingers outside barely lightens the darkness inside.

Thick webs cover much of the ancient crates and barrels stored inside the base of the tower. A rickety wooden staircase ascends along one wall to reach an open trapdoor above.

sorry, forgot to address Chrystosm's spectacular viewing of the tower door previously.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

At Othoe's comment about the iridescent powder, Simon's eyes light up and he excitedly scampers over to his side.

"Iridescent powder! Perhaps I should try some, you know, to be sure it's safe!"
Bluff DC1 - Simon is not interested in the powder being safe

Simon hops about giddily, hoping for a sample of the powder.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe eyes Simon warily.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9 vs DC 1

Maybe it's a mistake to trust this one. Drug addicts are never reliable confidants...

He holds out the jar for Simon's inspection.

"So, er, you know what it is?"


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast carefully walks into the tower.

"Stairs up! And some crates," Kast announces for those outside. "Must be very old to still be here. Might as well see what is inside. Can you guys watch my back while I poke around?"

Assuming assent, Kast will lean his longspear against the wall draw his morningstar.

Morningstars are used for mashing...spiders, goblins, kobolds, crates...

Kast will check out the crates, casting Light on his 'star.


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Chrystosm keeps an eye out for danger while Kast searches.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 3

A pattern is emerging!


Dorial watches as Kast dissapears inside. Calling out, "Would you like a second set of eyes in there?"


The light on the morning star brightens up the place a little, though the webbing and the dust still make the place dim and unwelcoming. Ancient runes of some sort have been stamped onto the crates.

The others wait outside, with Simon and studying the contents of the tiny jar. Chrystosm keeps an eye on the soldier, or at least tries to,but a gust of wind sends leaves dancing across the courtyard, distracting him somewhat.

Worriedly, Dorial keeps an eye to sky as the clouds gather and darken the small courtyard.

Simon, profession herbalist to see if you know what the powder is?


Dorial scans the courtyard frantickly. She looks back to the sky before turning back to the group, "We need to get inside.. Now!"


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast continues to explore the first crate, unconcerned about a little rain.


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

"OK!"

Chrystosm comes in and closes the door.


Kast:
The cobwebs on the first crate stick to you as you search through the mess inside. Most the contents in the first crate have fallen to the predation of time, but towards the bottom, there is a glimmer of something metallic and shiny. Perception and initiative checks please


Chrystosm and Kast, where are you on the map within the watchtower? I currently have you two in the tower, with the rest of the party outside the closed door, in the court yard. But perhaps they will choose another door..... >;)


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

In I6, so just inside the tower door.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast was in I6, but probably moved to I7 to make room for Chrystosm.

1d20 ⇒ 16 Init
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15 Perception

"Why are you closing the door, Chrystosm?"

That's an odd thing to do.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"Wait for us Chrys!"

Nimeon hustles the others into the tower before closing the door.


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

"Sorry! I was just trying to keep the draught out while you searched."


map
Unfortunately, everyone else save for Chrystosm and Kast are still out in the courtyard. Nimeon gets to the door just before it can slam shut and jamb again.

As the door rattles against Nimeon's arm, a huge white gob of silken goo comes slinging at Kast from above,passing inches by Chrystosm's face and barely missing the stalwart soldier as he searches through the crate's contents.

Initiative for surprise round:

Spinner 16
Chrystosm 7
Kast 16
Nimeon 4
Dorial 0
Simon 0
Othoe 0

initiative rolls:
Chrystosm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Dorial: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Kast: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
Nimeon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Othoe: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Simon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Spinner: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

other rolls:

spinner’s stealth1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 vs Kast’s 15 perception, Chrystosm’s perception of 1d20 ⇒ 19
Spinner’s web attack at Kast(flat footed):1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 or save (DC12 vs entangled)

Kast, Chrystosm are in the watchtower and can move this round. Nimeon is outside the watchtower and can move this round. Others will move next round


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Surprise round

"There it is!"

Chrystosm draws his rapier and leaps into action. Move action to get into melee - let me know if this isn't possible and I'll amend accordingly


Round 1, in the tower

Quick and more dainty than her size would suggest, the large (medium sized) spider dances over the webbing, taking aim at the prey branding its stinger at her. knocked off balance by wriggling of her first victim in the web, however, she misses wildly.

web attack on Chrystosm 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

slight edit, Spinner caught Kast(with new init 8 because he's a good sport) in the surprise round.

Outside the door, Nimeon hears a clatter from inside, and a surprised Chrysto's exclamation of "There it is!".


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Round 1, Init 8

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 Reflex Save

"Thank you, Chrysto!" Kast celebrates as he realizes that Chrysto does, indeed, have his back and moved to engage the spider before it engaged him with surprise.

On his turn, Kast will move to smash the spider.

Taking his morningstar in two hands, Kast will swing at it.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 to hit;
1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 damage.


Chrystosm wrote:

Surprise round

"There it is!"

Chrystosm draws his rapier and leaps into action. Move action to get into melee - let me know if this isn't possible and I'll amend accordingly

definitely possible. Do you climb the stairs or climb on a barrel, or the small crate? She is 10 feet up.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Oblivious to the actions about him, Simon investigates the powder.

Herbalist: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Hhmmm, must be glitter for a child's school project.

"Here Othoe, I don't think it's anything I can use." Simon reaches to hand the powder back, and realizes the problem facing the party. Stashing the bag into his gear, Simon rushes to the door to help Nimeon open it.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Round 1 Init 4

Nimeon nods to Simon, draws his longsword, and attempts to kick the door back open.

Holding bow in one hand and longsword in the other.

STR: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 1, init 12, HP 12/12, AC 17

Chrystosm, having raced up the stairs to engage his foe, flourishes his blade and lunges at the chittering monstrosity.

Attk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 Confirm 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 Dmg 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Round 1

Having missed Kast, the spider takes a shot at Chrysto, missing him as well.

Kast swings at the spider, but the awkward angle throws off his attack, making him miss. Chrystosm, climbs up the rickety stairs stairs, breaks through the webs, easily taking the fight to the spider. He stabs at her viciously, chartreuse ichor seeping from a wound in one hairy shoulder. Nimeon kicks the door wide open, framing the scene for the others.

Spinner........16
Dorial...........11
Simon..........10
Othoe..........10
Kast...............8
Chrystosm.....7
Nimeon..........4

and so begins round 2, from the top of the order.
Though space is tight in the room, the spider makes good use of the height of the tower, climbing higher to leave 5 feet between herself and anyone on the floor. the spider tries again to wrap up the intruder on the stairs, spitting another glob of webbing at Chrystosm.

web attack on Chrystosm1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 reflex save (12) or entangled.

Chrystosm now is at (H7),10ft higher than the floor. The Spider is 5ft higher than that.

The vertical alignment looks something like this:
________roof____
..................Spider
________________

________________
Chrysto................
________________
.....................Kast


Round 2 | Initiatve 11 | Move to H4

Status:

HP: 10/10 
Subdual: 0
Weapon(s) Equipped = shield, club
Conditions = None 
Wind Blast = 7/7 
Druid Spells Remaining: 
0) Detect Magic, Create Water, Light, Purify Food and Drink 
1) Entangle, Speak with Animals, Whispering Wind 

Hearing the sounds of battle and seeing the effects of a large spider, Dorial quickly follows persuit after Nimeon.

Not more spiders!


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round 1, Initiative 10, Location: D3->G5

Status:
HP: 7/7
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 4/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray, Magic Missile w/ Topple

Othoe rushes and runs up to the entrance and makes it all the way to... the corner of the tower before running out of steam.

Damn short legs!

Unable to see anything of value in the tower, he'll scan the courtyard for other possible threats just in case.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 2, init 7, HP 12/12, AC 17

Reflex save - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 vs DC 12

Leaping clear of the gob of webbing, Chrystosm drops his rapier, unships his crossbow and fires a poorly directed quarrel at the spider while yelling:

"Kast! Get up here with that pike of yours!"

Attk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 Dmg 1d8 ⇒ 6


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Round 2, Init 8

Kast takes a quick swing as the spider moves away. Via OOC discussion with GM Angry Ankheg.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20 to hit;
1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 damage.

"Roger, sir!" Kast says in response to Chrystosm.

Kast goes and gets his longspear from against the wall. (move, move action)


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon moves into the room, and draws his crossbow, preparing to shoot and the large arachnid.

Oh goody, a Giant spider, maybe it will have what I need!


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

I hit it and it didn't even flinch. It was a good strike too...but it walked away! I'll have to hit it harder next time. And more practice!

Then I'll be perfect...or closer to perfection.


Round 2

While the others rush to his aid, Kast does his best to kill the spider all on his own. A leg and several wiry hairs fall down about his head as he jumps to follows Chrystosm's orders.

With Chrystosm already on the stairs, Kast tries to follow, trading his morning star for his spear. Dorial Othoe and Simon rush to Nimeon's side at the sound of him kicking open the door, with Simon even rushing in to help Chrystosm and Kast against the Spider or is the spider against the intruders? ;)

Round 3

Initiative
Spinner...........16
Dorial..............11
Simon..............10
Othoe..............10
Kast..................8
Chrystosm........7
Nimeon.............4

Failing on her last attack, the spider hesitates, then shoots again at Kast where he stands near the door, but her balance is off due to the missing leg, and the glob of web lands in front of the door instead.

ranged touch attack on Kast:1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 - 1 = 6


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon takes careful aim, very careful to not destroy anything he may want to acquire later, and unleashes a bolt as the spider.

light crossbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 211d8 ⇒ 3


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 3, init 7, HP 12/12, AC 17

Chrystosm gets out of Kast's way, leaping off the stairs while shouting:

"It's all yours!"

Upon hitting the ground, he takes the opportunity to recock and load his crossbow, keeping his eyes on the beast as he does so.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round 3, Initiative 10, Location: G5->I4

Status:
HP: 7/7
Weapon Equipped = Dagger
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 4/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray, Magic Missile w/ Topple

Othoe scrambles around the entrance trying to see the spider through Nimeon, Chrystosm, Kast, and the wall itself. Not having Passwall handy, Othoe settles behind Nimeon and takes another quick glance at the courtyard.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Just in case the spider tries to escape through the door, Othoe also draws his dagger.

"How's it going in there? Are we winning? What are we fighting? Is it the witch?"


new map here


Round 3 | Initiative 11

Status:

HP: 10/10
Subdual: 0
Weapon(s) Equipped = shield, club
Conditions = None
Wind Blast = 7/7
Druid Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Create Water, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1) Entangle, Speak with Animals, Whispering Wind

Dorial sheaths her club and draws a dart.

Well I can't see the spider from here, and I'll just be a hindrance inside. Hopefully I can stop it if it comes through the door.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Round 3, Init 8

Kast stows his morningstar (move action) and begins to climb the rickety stairs.

1d20 - 3 ⇒ (10) - 3 = 7 Acrobatics for no reason whatsoever.


Round 3

The spider misses again against the intruders, her little mandibles clicking with frustration.

While Dorial and Othoe prepare for a spider invasion outside, Simon embraces the chance to tackle another webbed nemesis, shooting it as soon as he weaves in front of Nimeon to enter the room.

Upon Chrystosm's orders, Kast switches to his spear and tries to climb the stairs, as Chrysto leaps free to leave room, but the ancient stairs nearly pull free from the wall, cavorting beneath the limping soldiers stomping so that he isn't able to make any progress upward at all.

Nimeon, not to be outdone by Simon, leans in, trying to get a decent shot at the thing, but Simon's head gets in the way and he nearly gives the poor man a notch in one ear to match his own. As it is, the arrow flies wide, thunking harmlessly into the wall on the far side of the room.

Initiative
Spinner...........16
Dorial..............11
Simon..............10
Othoe..............10
Kast..................8
Chrystosm........7
Nimeon.............4

attack for Nimeon at -4 for cover1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 - 4 = 21d8 ⇒ 2

round 4

The spider scrambles to the far corner(k6, 20ft up), lining up a shot at the latest invader to her domain, and shoots at Simon, the silken stringy mess landing squarely against his chest and the door jambs beside and above him.

ranged touch attack on Simon:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 or reflex save vs (DC12) against entangled.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Round 4, Init 8

"Well, it's up there...let's shoot it down. I'll wait to see if it comes closer."

Instead of climbing the clearly dangerous stairs that we not made before the Golarions with Oracular Disabilities Act of A.R. 4690, Kast will instead stand on the lowest rung of the stairs and ready to strike if the spider comes close.

"I got you guys covered, go ahead and keep shooting."

These rickety staircases should be outlawed.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Round 4 Init 4

Status:

HP = 11/11
AC = 15/12/13
Weapon Equipped = Longbow
Speed = 20'
Smite Evil = 1/1
Status Effects = None

Having sheathed his sword and missed the first shot Nimeon takes aim again.

"Hardly seems sporting Kast."

Mwk Longbow PBS: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 141d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

If it has cover by the time my turn rolls around that's -4, and another -4 if it's in melee.

Having loosed another arrow Nimeon casts his gaze around the courtyard to see if the scuffle has attracted others.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Round 1, HP 8/9, AC 17

"aahhh, get it off, get it off!" Simon struggles against the webbing, twisting and lurching to keep the strands from entangling him.

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

ooppss, that should have been round 4 in the post above


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 4, init 7

"Spitting indoors is a revolting habit!"

And one that so annoys Chystosm that he decides to try and shoot the spider again

Attk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 Dmg 1d8 ⇒ 5


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round 4, Initiative 10, Location: I4

Status:
HP: 7/7
Weapon Equipped = Dagger
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 4/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray, Magic Missile w/ Topple

Still finding no shot and no glimpse of the target, Othoe calms down a bit.

I need to wait and be patient. It will come to me, or it will die in it's tower whatever 'it' is.

Othoe takes a deep breath and readies an action to Force Missile the creature if it shows itself. He's particularly watching for a spitting witch, but any creature will do...


Round 4 | Initiative 11

Dorial stands ready to take throw a dart if something other than an ally comes out of the tower.


Round 4

Having given Simon her best shot, the spider skitters into the darkest corner above the door to wait for the webbing to capture her prize. Unfortunately, Simon breaks free, twisting, turning, and flailing like a madman to get the sticky webbing off.

Dorial and Othoe, perhaps afraid of getting in the way inside, wait in the courtyard, weapon and spell ready to take on the witch inside, should he escape.

Kast, having learned his lesson on his last near fatal trip up the stairs, instead readies below, in case the spider should come attack him up close and personally.

Only Chrystosm and Nimeon make an attempt to put the thing out of its misery, with Chrystosm successfully teaching the spider better manners with the sharp end of a crossbow bolt and his own deadly aim. It pierces the thing right through head, sending it tumbling to the ground at Nimeon's feet.

"It hardly seems sporting" the half elf exclaims, but it's too late to stop his arrow, and so it too sinks deep into the now oozing spider twitching helplessly on the tower's flagstone floor.

This successfully concludes your tour of the tower. If you enjoyed your stay, please consider donating to the Monastery redevelopment fund on your way out. Thank you, and have a nice day.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe sees the spider fall to the floor and get skewered.

Oh. A spider. Just one spider. OK then.

He casts Prestidigitation to clean any dust off himself that might have accumulated in his running around in the courtyard and prepares to search the tower. If there's room, he enters and casts Detect Magic paying special attention to the ceiling. He does not climb the stairs to aid his search however...

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 to generally search the tower.

"Nice job gentlemen. Good shooting."


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

"By the way, Kast, what did you find in the chest?" asks Chrystosm, cautiously retrieving his used bolts from the spider's corpse

"Eugh!


Once the gore and dust has settled, Kast is able to reach the shiny at the bottom of the crate. A fine short steel blade covered in ever more convoluted wavy designs lays next to a decorative handle inlaid with gemstones of red blue and green. The rest of the crates contain dust, half eaten bags that probably contained some sort of foodstuff, and the leavings of rats.

The barrels are similarly useless or empty, with holes gnawed into the back bottom sections by the wall.

is anyone doing any climbing?

801 to 850 of 4,787 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "In Search of Heroes" gameplay thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.