Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

In Search of Heroes (Inactive)

Game Master verdigris

Play-by-Post game set in Darkmoon Vale, using the Pathfinder ruleset.


751 to 800 of 4,787 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

Determined, Dorial nods as she strides over to Simon. "Thank you Simon. I won't be long and promise to not hurt you."

She closes her eyes as she begins to pass her hands only inches over Simon's body. She begins to hum a soft melody as she concentrates on searching for any magical or natural effects.

Casting Detect Magic.
Heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.
Othoe wrote:
"If you feel that strongly about it we'll bring it along, but someone else should carry it. Chrystosm? Kast? Would one of you add this to your burdens?"

Kast chokes a bit as Othoe asks the question.

The cauldron that wanted to eat me?

Kast looks around for another cauldron *other* than the one that tenderized him. Kast looks about for a reason to *not* carry the burden.

"What if instead I, uhh..."

...jabbed sticks in my eyes, instead?
...had some of them attic spiders crawl all over me, instead?
...go find another hobgoblin and ask him to nail me to a tree?

"...uhm, I'd prefer not to carry that. Maybe we can potentially think about considering to maybe possibly coming back after the plague is cured to get it?"

Hopefully, when you're less feverish, this desire will also fade.


Dorial wrote:

Determined, Dorial nods as she strides over to Simon. "Thank you Simon. I won't be long and promise to not hurt you."

She closes her eyes as she begins to pass her hands only inches over Simon's body. She begins to hum a soft melody as she concentrates on searching for any magical or natural effects.

Casting Detect Magic.
Heal: 1d20+8
Spellcraft: 1d20+5

Dorial looks Simon over, feeling his aura and searching for any unusual effects. After several long moments, she frowns, "I thought there was something, but I'm not getting anything now. In fact, he does seem...better than ever."

With Kast so adamant, Simon reluctantly tucks the cauldron back into the cottage with a promise to return for it at some future time. "Don't fret, it won't be long!". Gathering some mushrooms, "For Laurel" he is then ready to go.

______________________________________________________

after a half day's hike (does that make it late afternoon?), the intrepid companions reaches the base of the mountains.

Sitting squat at the foot of an imposing mountain, a ruined monastery comes into view between ancient gnarled trees. Made of simple stone blocks, worn smooth with the passage of time, the stout building is falling apart. Sections of the slanted shale roof have collapsed and portions of the outer wall have crumbled.

Weeds and wild thorn plants run rampant across the field leading up to the place, leaving only the slightest indication of a path that ends at the ruined front doors. Beyond, an overgrown yard sits in shadow.

full control is now returned to whatever PCs I manhandled to move us along. Thanks for understanding.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe relaxes a bit seeing Simon able to 'let go' of his cauldron and he marches on with the rest in a more pleasant mood.

As they approach the monastery Othoe eyes the lengthening shadows in the ruins.

"We should hurry if we're to investigate before the light fails. I'd rather not do this in the dark."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast looks at the structure with interest and concern, taking note of the fading light.

"We should investigate that while we have some light left. In fact, it might make a good campsite before we press on, no?"

Kast will advance in a alert soldier's march, this long spear extended and his legs far apart. His head swivels to and fro as he marches the perimeter of the monastery.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0 Perception


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

"Aye", agrees Chrystosm. "We might be glad of the shelter (such as it is) if it comes on to rain"

He looks up at the sky, then straightens up, making sure his crossbow's loaded and accessible. "Want a hand, Kast?"

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 7


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast smiles at Chrystosm's offer.

"Always. We will work better as a team, no doubt. I watch your back and you watch mine."

And I have much to learn from him. This is good.


Gazing at the ruins ahead of her, Dorial takes in as much as she can from her current distance.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Looking up at the sky, "The mushrooms were said to grow underground. Once we venture beneath, I don't think we'll have to worry about the time of day. Especially since I believe a few of us can provide magical light."


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Chrystosm shrugs. "Fair enough. On we go, then - bolt and blade, Kast!"


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

"Before we venture in are we all recovered from the fight with the cookware?"

Recover Arrows, High Good: 1d100 ⇒ 51d100 ⇒ 63

Nimeon moves to the rear now that the group is moving in combat formation.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon sadly lets go of the cauldron and follows his companions to the ruins, with more than few longing looks back over his shoulder.

We'll get it back, I promise, we'll need it soon enough!

Llwynaly stay perched on his shoulder during the trek, except for the occasional short excursion into the brush. When they get to the monastery Simon peers curiously at the weathered building and overgrown courtyard.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


The path ahead passes between a pile of rubble on one side, and a 5ft tall statue on the other before petering out approximately 50ft before the gate to the monastery proper. Though moss and creeper vines cling to its feet and thighs, it can still be made out as a strong dwarf holding aloft a large stone hammer.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast pauses in front of the gate to the ruins and looks back at the party.

"I'm good to go in," Kast says and bends and stretches his twisted left leg. "It's been a long walk, but if we still have energy and daylight left, we should get in there. We might..." Kast glances at Simon, "...not have much time yet. I'm worried...uh, for Fleut."

Sensing agreement, Kast ponders the most soldiery marching order but realizes everyone will probably have their own ideas and instead he just enters.

"If anyone wants to go first, just say so. Otherwise, I'll take it."

Soldiers lead.


The Monastery is directly North, I have you at the bottom of the map. The statues and gate lay directly in front of you.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

"Wait, Kast, I'll go with you, Soldiers stick together." Simon smiles at his friend, placing a hand on his shoulder, seeming more his old self than at any point since they left Falcon's Hollow.

With a few whispered words to Llwynaly, the little fox hops down from his shoulder and scampers back to stand beside Dorial, her bright eyes watching Simon and Kast.

"Let me check the statue and gates first, no need to walk into danger if we can help it." Simon uses both Detect Magic and Detect Poison to perceive any threat from the spookiness ahead.


Dorial prepares herself by raising her shield and putting her darts at the ready. Not wanting to lead, she hangs back with Othoe.

"Perhaps Nimeon should go up front with you both. His eyes are just as good as mine."

The least I can do is keep an eye out from back here.

Quietly, she speaks to the hawk perched on her shoulder, "I know you don't like to be indoors as much as I do, but let's get this over with and I'll take you hunting daily." She looks down at the fox that has joined her, "But no hunting for foxes. Got it?"


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe watches the others prepare to enter, shifting their gear, getting weapons out, etc. He takes the time to clean his nails and make himself presentable before finally drawing his dagger and proceeding with the others.

"Are any of us good with traps? I don't suspect anyone has set any here per se, but this place doesn't look sound and portions might collapse."

"Either way, watch for falling rocks."

Othoe considers kicking off his shoes for this bit, but decides the better of it.

Might still be spies among us. A little more time to be sure. ...and who knows what Simon will say the next time his fever hits. Best to keep up pretenses for now.

When he thinks no one is looking, he quickly adjusts his wig and presses on.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"I can take the lead if you wish Dorial but with my bow I'm better from back here."

Soldiers lead.


Kast:
Approaching the statues, or at least the one that is still standing, you are able to tell that it is from the is from the time of the last great dwarven kings, many centuries ago.

Passed the statues, lay the remnants of the monastery walls, and the courtyard within:

Tall grasses and chunks of stone debris have all but overtaken this small yard. Off to one side, a wooden stable has collapsed into a mound of rotting timbers and moldy straw. The outer wall on the east side has also collapsed, leaving a ragged hole. Three doors exit into this yard— a pair of double doors to the east, a single door to the north, and a lone door leading into the squat tower in the southeast corner.

map.


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

"It'll be me or Kast first, then", says Chrystosm. "I'll check out the tower, if you like"

Perception check on tower door - 1d20 ⇒ 2

"All looks fine to me!"

If nobody stops him, Chrystosm will blithely push the door open and stride inside.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe strides over to what looks like a well (C2) and looks over the edge.

Assuming it's dark, he calls for light.

"Before we head in, can someone throw some light down into this well? Just curious really, but I wonder if there's disease in this well as well."

Othoe will look for a suitable and small rock for the light spell, and once someone casts it, he'll toss it over the side into the well.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Please include the coordinates of your current square when posting.


Not wanting to get caught off guard, Dorial makes her way to the middle of the square [F4], but not before casting Light on the rock Othoe found. "That should take care of you for now."


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Sorry! Othoe moves to D3.

"Thanks Dorial!"

Othoe tosses the rock in the well and peers over the edge.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Lol@Othoe, well played.

Kast stands near E4, trying to keep an eye on all his companions at once as they spread out to explore.

"This is definitely the place. That statue, there..." Kast points with his longspear, "...is one of a dwarven king from long ago."

Kast swivels his head to watch everyone.

"Yell should you see anything, let's not have another spider incident."

Thinking of beings who need more protection, Kast subconsciously takes a step towards Simon.


Moving an old rope that hangs into the well, Othoe sees a fair amount of mold, but nearly none of it is blackscour. The water below, while a bit brackish, looks ok, at least from this vantage.

However, the light of the rock as it is flipped through the air throws a shadow of an oddly grasping hand against the stone wall next to him.

perception 15:
Next to the well, tucked back a bit, is a body in torn up rags. behind and beneath it, lays a bag of some kind.

map If you are not where you think you should be on the map, please let me know.

edit in spoiler


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe looks at the odd shadows and steps back a bit in trepidation.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

...and as a result he sees nothing further.

"Just some normal mold in the well I'm glad to say. A little brackish, but no blackscour as far as I can tell."


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

"Careful Othoe, there's a body near the well there."

Nimeon takes aim with his bow as he says this, ready should the corpse begin to move.

"Looks like there's an intact bag beneath it."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast keeps an eye out, both at the well but for others who might be taking advantage of the distraction at the well to strike.

Soldiers guard.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon peers about the area, hoping to catch glimpse of a shiny spider. Disappointed, he turns his focus to the well when Nimeon mentions the body.

"A body you say? Is it that of an old woman? Careful, Othoe, if something killed it in that spot then the well may not be a safe place. How deep down is the water in that well, maybe it's poisoned, I could check?"


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe keeps his distance and wishes he had a long stick...


The body doesn't appear to move. The remnants of leather armor it wears gape and twist at odd angles over what is left of the body. It would probably take a closer inspection, probably hands-on, to determine more about this poor miserable creature.


Dorial glances over towards the well. "If someone can help pull the body out then I could take a look at it."

If it's not obvious if/when the body is pulled out, Dorial will look it over for cause of death.

Heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"I will assist you if the others will stand the watch."

Assuming others do so, Nimeon will put away his bow, draw his longsword, and assist Dorial in moving the body into an easier inspection area.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast will keep watch as the inspection continues.

"If I can help with things, let me know. I have some training in some subject areas."

Scholars teach.


At first glance, it is hard to tell much about the body, but after moving it and thorough inspection, it is easy to conclude that he was a human male, with dark skin and hair. The eyes may have matched, but that can't be ascertained, as they, and most of his flesh is missing or mangled, the tell-tale scrapes from fairly large teeth indicating some sort of large mammal.

Apparently the mammal was picky, or watching its diet, as the bag contains 5 days worth of rations, 50ft of silk rope, some "adventurer's" tools, a small coin purse, and tiny jar. Whatever other gear this adventurer had seems to be missing. From the state of decay, he has been here a few months or more.

survival=15:
While looking over the body, you realize that you are wiping out tracks in the dirt of the court yard. Before they are all obliterated, you can tell that there are 2 kinds, some reptilian, though 2 legged, and some of a mammalian quadruped.


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Survival 1d20 ⇒ 18

"Interesting. Looks like someone's been here before us - not human, though. Maybe lizard-like, though they walked upright, with a beast of some sort. Dorial or Nimeon - what does that sound like to you?"


"Hmm, let me look at those tracks."

Dorial will carefully examine the tracks that Chrystosm found.
Knowledge (Nature):1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
K. Nature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

"Bipedal lizard and mammalian quadruped. Might not have been together. Note the bend in the toe on this foot."

What size are the tracks? Kobold, Lizardman? Is the quadruped moving with them or against? Cloven hooves, shod?


Nimeon and Chrystosm recognize the reptilian tracks for those of a kobold and the larger mammalian ones to be those of a large wolf of some kind. Nimeon picks up that while the tracks seem to mingle, they do not always head in the same direction. The kobold tracks go through the main door or then out into the wild, while some of the wolf tracks also use the main entrance, they also sometimes use the whole in the east wall, something the kobold tracks never do.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast looks around, not quite understanding what Nimeon sees.

"Which way now, Nimeon?"

It's true, he was a tracker. I could learn much from him.

Kast takes a moment to rest his leg by leaning on his spear, a momentary pause in his usual guarded nature.

"Kobolds, huh? I've never seen them before."


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"The wolves use that hole in the wall, we need to watch that and perhaps block it while we explore inside. If kobolds have been here we need to watch for traps. If wolves attack watch your feet and don't let them surround you."

Sheathing his longsword Nimeon redraws his bow and knocks an arrow.

"This man had some useful gear on him, perhaps this jar is magical? The rope we will need and the rations may come in handy. These tools I don't recognize, perhaps he was a tomb robber?"


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast looks about for a way to block up the wolf hole.

"Perhaps that old gate could be moved in front of the hole? I have no desire to fight wolves if we can avoid it."


you are able to move the old broken gate pieces in front of the wolf hole. Does anyone look inside the jar to see if it is magical?


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast loads the final stone in front of the wolf hole and checks to make sure that nothing can easily escape. He retrieves his longspear from the wall where he had lain it.

"Hopefully, they are sleeping now and we can get in and out without disturbing them. Remind ourselves to remove the rocks when we leave lest they starve...which would be awful to contemplate."


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

When Othoe sees the materials removed from the body, he'll check them all over for magic casting Detect Magic and spending the time to try to identify any particular item found.

Spellcraft Check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Othoe:
Nothing radiates as magic, though the "adventurer's tools" do seem like very good workmanship. unscrewing the jar very carefully, you are able to open it without spilling the iridescent powder that is inside.

The afternoon light is slowly fading, dusk falling early due to the proximity of the mountains. Soon the entire clearing, and especially the courtyard, will be in shadow.


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

"Nothing is magic. These tools are quite good though, might even be the work of a true master."

He carefully screws the lid back on the jar.

"The jar is full of an iridescent powder. Also not magic. I don't know what it might be for either."

Othoe offers to carry the jar for now as he's unlikely to be in close combat and thus break it.

He watches the hole in the wall filled. "Shall we proceed into the tower then?"


Dorial looks around the courtyard, briefly stopping her gaze at each of the doorways. Turning her head back to the sky, "Perhaps we should get moving and find our way down. There's a storm brewing and I don't want to be caught outside when it hits. It'll reach us in a matter of hours."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast leads the way to the tower after Chrystosm gave it the 'all clear'.

"We're looking for where metal blooms, right? Since I'm not sure what that means, we'll need to search. Like Dorial said, it might even be down."

Kast enters the tower.

751 to 800 of 4,787 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "In Search of Heroes" gameplay thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.