Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

In Search of Heroes (Inactive)

Game Master verdigris

Play-by-Post game set in Darkmoon Vale, using the Pathfinder ruleset.


551 to 600 of 4,787 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round Surprise

Status:
HP: 6/7
Weapon Equipped = Dagger
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 5/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray, Magic Missile w/ Topple

Othoe backpeddles 5' and attacks the bird with a Force Missile.

Force Missile hits for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage.

"Heads up everyone, there's an archer in the trees over the river as well - about 60' off!"


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Round 1, HP 7/9, AC 17

Simon starts yelling, but the words just come out as jumbled gibberish.

Celestial:
[b]"No, friends, don't hurt the hawks! They just follow their master's lead, perhaps they seek to help the fox like us. Try to talk to them, try to make peace!"

Regardless of hawks or arrows or even the snapping teeth of the frightening fox, Simon lunges forward and tries to free the wounded creature from the trap, fully willing to take damage in the process.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

not sure why the spoiler is inactive, let's try that again...

Celestial:
"No, friends, don't hurt the hawks! They just follow their master's lead, perhaps they seek to help the fox like us. Try to talk to them, try to make peace!"


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round 1, Initiative 18, Location: near hawk, 60' from archer -> behind Kast

Status:
HP: 6/7
Weapon Equipped = Dagger
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 4/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray, Magic Missile w/ Topple

Othoe assumes his assault on the hawk keep him at bay, he instead focuses his attention on the archer.

He moves to see the archer, ideally standing behind Kast if possible, and fires another Force Missile.*

Force Missile hits for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 damage.

"You there in the tree - we can see you! Now come down and have a nice quiet talk with us or we'll be forced to remove you by force!"

* If the hawk continues to press him, or the archer is not visible even after moving, the force missile is used on the hawk.

Regarding mapless combats - sounds GREAT! I think we'll be able to keep things moving along and if there is some confusion we'll survive any corrections by you. Thanks for keeping things moving along!


Round 1 | Initiative 13 | Behind Kast

"I can't reach the archer from here, but I can try to keep the hawks at bay!"

Dorial readies her wind blast on the hawks when they come near. She aims for the first one that comes near, but will hit both if possible.

Windblast (Ranged Bull Rush): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

status:

HP: 10/10
Subdual: 1
Weapon(s) Equipped = shield
Conditions = None
Wind Blast = 6/7
Druid Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Create Water, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1) Entangle, Whispering Wind

Othoe, I like your status blocks. Hope you don't mind me borrowing the layout :)


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast smiles as Othoe's missile begin to blast the hawks out of the air.

Edit: Are we Othoestatting? Fixt below.

Kast's Quick Stats:

AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 13/13
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +1

Weapons in Hand: cold iron longspear

Spell Effects: none
Conditions: none

Irorian Mantras of Perfection Remaining:
0) Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic
1) 4/4 remaining: Shield of Faith, Protection from Evil, Cure Light Wounds


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Thanks Dorial & Kast, it's all yours. I borrowed it in parts... or maybe even the whole thing... from others myself!


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3
Othoe wrote:
"Heads up everyone, there's an archer in the trees over the river as well - about 60' off!"

Surprise, init 17

Status:

HP 12/12

Weapon(s) equipped: None

Conditions: None

"I'll keep him busy!"

Chrystosm heads towards the archer, running from tree to tree in order to (hopefully) avoid the arrow fire.

Total distance (inc. multipliers for difficult terrain) is 75ft, by my calcs; running the whole way and swimming the river (swim check = 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7) should get me there in a round, I think. Or it would do if I wasn't busy drowning...


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 1, init 17, thrashing about in the river and screaming

Status:

HP 12/12

Weapon(s) equipped: None

Conditions: None

Chrystosm, having lost his footing on the slippery rocks, attempts to extricate himself from the water...

Swim 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Having hauled himself out of the river, he runs (squelchily) towards the pine containing the archer in an erratic pattern, trying to dodge any missiles that come his way Acrobatics 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Chrystosm - remember a surprise round is only a single move or standard even if you weren't drowning. :)


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast's head swivels as he watches Chrystosm be *really* distracting, splashing around in the river, then pretending to be drowning.

He's good. I could learn much from him.


ok, I think I over estimated how “simple” the river crossing would be. I think it breaks down this way:
regular-5ft times 1 = 5ft as normal
difficult-10ft times 2 =20ft (with no running)
swim-20 times 4 =80ft (with swim checks in play)
difficult-10 times 2 =20ft (with no running)
regular-5 times 1 =5ft as normal
equals ---------------130ft total, with 80 needing swim checks.
Only Dorial and Othoe move in the surprise round, we are now in the first round (towards the end of, but still) using the initiative block typed in rather than the messed up one below.

Chrysosm:
with no surprise round move, I think that puts Chrystosm splashing around in the shallows on the fox side of the river at the end of round one?


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Apologies to all for not paying attention and merrily trampling all over the movement rules - that'll teach me to post when I should be working ;)

GM Verdigris:

Correct - we call it 'Doing the Khaz' in beautiful Cheliax :)


Chrystosm wrote:
** splish, splash, and other stuff**

Chrystosm:
*LOL* Is that what they call it over there? Over here in Andoran, we call it "arrow bait"

Dorial, soft heart that she is, doesn’t seem to have it in her to do the hawk flapping in her face any real harm, though the battering of its wings knocks her around a bit, but Othoe, apparently a vicious hunter from way back, takes out the second hawk, leaving it staggered and on the ground at his feet.
Nimeon, perhaps distracted by the sudden flapping and and whining and gibberish going on all around him, shoots but misses the cowardly archer hidden in the trees on the other side. Kast, with the heart of a gimpy lion, runs to protect Othoe and Dorial from the archer, while Chrystosm, eager to get to threat, throws himself at the water, distracting the attacker to protect the others. It works, the archer shoots his next shot at Chrystosm, though he misses, probably due to Chrystosm’s superb baiting technique.
Even though the first arrow found caught Simon in the arm, he ignores the danger, intent on his mission to free the injured fox, continues his ministrations to the poor thing, trying to set it free.
ok, a little chaotic, a little messy, but welcome to round 2

Initiative, surprise round:

Hawk 2: 22 - attacked Othoe for (1hp), Othoe downed and staggered at Othoe’s feet (4hp)
Nimeon: 20 - surprised
Kast: 19 -Surprised
Othoe: 18 - attacked by hawk2(1hp), downed hawk2 with force missile (4hp),
Chrysto: 17 - Surprised
Dorial: 13 – used a Blast of Wind to try to bull rush Hawk 1, but he flittered through, did (-1 hp, or 1 hp subdual) , also previously calmed fox to help free him.
Grung: 12 - shot Simon from across the river, did (2hp) damage
Simon: 11 -Surprised, took damage from Grung’s arrow(2hp)
Hawk 1: 4 – was ineffectually bullrushed by a Blast of hot air from Dorial, made it through to do (-1 hp, or 1 hp subdual) to Dorial.

Initiative, Round 1:

Hawk 2: 22 –on ground bleeding
Nimeon: 20 –Nimeon shoots arrow at Grung, but misses, due to all the whining, crying, screaming and gibberish?
Kast: 19 –Moves like a true soldier to cover Othoe and Dorial
Othoe: 18 –moves back 5 feet into the tree line, shoots force missile at Grung (5hp)
Chrysto: 17 –plays arrow bait in the water.
Dorial: 13 – tries again on hawk 1, but he continues to batter her with his wings while trying to land a solid hit with his talons. (takes 1hp subdual)
Grung: 12 – shoots again, this time at Chrystosm flopping around in the water.
Simon: 11 - Simon babbles in gibberish and tries to free the bird. (strength check or disable device?)
Hawk 1: 4 – tries again to attack Dorial, but merely nicks her nose. (does 1hp subdual)

dice rolls:
Dorial’s bulrush on the hawk: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Grung (-5hp) shoots at Chryso: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 101d8 ⇒ 4
Hawk 1 – attacks Dorial : 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 151d4 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0 (1hp subdual, more wing battering)


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round 2, Initiative 18, Location: near hawk, 60' from archer

Status:
HP: 6/7
Weapon Equipped = Dagger
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 4/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray, Magic Missile w/ Topple

Not hearing any surrender talk from the archer, Othoe tries something different. He attacks using a Magic Missile w/ Toppling Spell. He continues to 'shoot' from behind Kast, using him as cover against the archer.

"I warned you we were serious!! Now get down out of that tree!"

Magic Missile hits for 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 damage and trip, CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

After casting he turns to Kast and says, "Kast, I must say, you're being a very helpful mate. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know."

*ducks back*


Round 2 | Initiative 13

Dorial tries to protect herself from the talons of the hawk above her. This time, she plants her feet and thrusts her shield at the hawk as a burst of wind bellows forth, blowing the hawk backwards.

Windburst attacking hawk: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Status:

HP: 10/10
Subdual: 2
Weapon(s) Equipped = shield
Conditions = None
Wind Blast = 5/7
Druid Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Create Water, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1) Entangle, Whispering Wind

Kast, I like the layout for keeping track of stuff.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

check from round 1
Strength check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Round 2, HP 7/9, AC 17

Simon struggles with the trap, unable to release it on his first attempt, but he continues to work at freeing the fox.

Strength check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Round 2 Init 20

Status::

HP = 11/11
AC = 15/12/13
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 20'
Smite Evil = 1/1
Status Effects = None

"This one has excellent cover!"

Undeterred, Nimeon draws a bead on his target and fires again.

I think my ear twitched last time. Threw me off.

Longbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 151d8 ⇒ 7

Damned ear.


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

LOL!@Chrysto for "doing the Khaz"! Well played, sir.
Kast now steps away from Chrysto to allow Angry Mean Ankheg to show her appreciate for the funny comment. I believe that she'll prefer to 'laugh' with her big mandibles around your neck.

Round 2, Init 19

Kast thanks Othoe for noticing, but also realizes that he hasn't done anything but get in the way yet.

Soldiers fight.

Hearing Simon's calls for mercy for the hawks, Kast tries to hit the remaining hawk with the shaft of his longspear rather than the deadly tip.

1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 3 - 4 = 11 to hit;
1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 nonlethal.

Nope, I'm not a soldier yet.


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 2, Init 17

status:

HP: 12/12
AC: 16
Weapons equipped: None
Conditions: Soggy

Chrystosm, spewing out water like a tiny pink whale, attempts to reach the far bank of the river

GM Verdigris:
Am I allowed to use the roll from my abortive Round 1 action, or do I need to make a new one, please>


Chrystosm:
yes, you can use that roll for your swim check. Are you double moving?


Round 2
Nimeon shoots at the attacker in the trees, but just misses, his arrow thunking into the wood beneath. Othoe’s poor hawk hops and flutters at his feet, moving away hop by hop, dragging one wing for a total of 10feet, but Othoe pays him no mind, taking another bead on the man in the trees (really not much more than a set of eyes and a flash of teeth showing). The missile hits, sending him tumbling out of the tree and onto the bank below.

Kast tries to shoo off the other hawk, but it’s Dorial’s wind blast that seems to push it back. Flustered and ruffled, it flies up and off into the trees behind the group.

Chrystosm finally gets his feet and hands working together, kicks off the bottom and surges across, fighting the current to get to the other side (crossed the 20, still have 10 feet to wade through at double the movement cost). Limping from Othoe’s masterful force shots, and seeing Chrystosm flailing in the water, the hunter gets to his feet and slips into the trees behind him, leaving his bow tangled in the brush.

Chrystosm:
From this far away and out of the shadow of the trees, it is clearly no human man the group fights, but something grey with fangs and faintly goblin-ish, though man sized and bulkier. (knowl nature or local=11)

Simon, neither oblivious nor ignorant to the chaos and danger around him, stays strongly focused, eventually freeing the grateful fox from his painful prison. Sniffling and whimpering, he tries to walk, but falters, the pain from the trap obviously too much for him.

character Initiative round 2 (action):

hawk2:……..22…..hops and flutters, moves 10 feet, dragging a wing.
Nimeon: ..…20:…..shoots, barely misses
Kast: .………19:…..misses hawk one with the flat of his spear
Othoe: ..…..18:…..shoots toppling spell, hits(4hp), grung falls out of the tree (1d6 damage)
Chrystosm: 17:…..double move swim
Dorial: ……..13:…..uses wind blast to push Hawk1 back 5 feet
Grung: ……..12:…..hit (4hp) knocked out of the tree (1d6 damage), stands, moves into trees
Simon: ……..11.…..breaks the trap to let the fox out,
hawk1: ……….4.…..pushed back 5 feet, flies off.
fox: …………….1.…..whimpers and sniffles, but doesn't move away

dice rolls:
Grung’s falling damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Let round 3 commence


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Round 3 Init 20

Status:

HP = 11/11
AC = 15/12/13
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 20'
Smite Evil = 1/1
Status Effects = None

"Now he's on the run."

Nimeon readies to fire if he returns.

Ready to fire if he attacks.

Longbow: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 51d8 ⇒ 3


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Round 3, Initiative 18, Location: 60' from where the archer was

Status:
HP: 6/7
Weapon Equipped = Dagger
Conditions = None
Arcane Bond = Unused
Force Missile = 4/6
Wizard Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1) Color Spray

Othoe peers into the shadowy wood trying to spot the fleeing archer...

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

If he spots him:

Othoe doesn't like fleeing archers, they can always come back. So he launches one more Force Missile to try and drop him.

Force Missile hits for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage.

If he does not:

Othoe slides from one side of Kast to another trying to see past the big man, but he does not. Instead he readies a Force Missile to use on the archer in the event he returns.

Force Missile hits for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage.

"I think that's that then. Simon, how's the fox?" Othoe thinks for a moment... "And maybe we should tend to these birds if they're not hostile now."

Yes. Yes that is the right thing to do. Help the helpless even if they were once your enemy. I do believe these people will be a positive influence on me. Now why was this trap laid?


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Round 3, Initiative 17, Location: wading in the shallows

status:

HP: 12/12
AC: 16
Weapons equipped: None
Conditions:

HP:
Chrystosm curses colourfully, watching his foe stumble away into the forest Perception 1d20 ⇒ 20, Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

"Come back here!!

He pauses, having reached a spot that's shallow enough to stand up in, unships his crossbow and fires

Attk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Dmg 1d8 ⇒ 6


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Round 3, HP 7/9, AC 17

Simon tries to respond to Othoe, but the tension of battle still jangles his nerves and only gibberish escapes.

Celestial:
"The fox is free, but it's hurt, badly, I'll heal it!"

Simon casts Cure Light Wounds on the fox

CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Round 3 | Initiative 13

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Where did that monster go!?

If she spots him:

Dorial squints as she just makes out the movement caused by the fleeing archer. She points towards the direction of the attacker, "He's over there!"

Cast Entangle (DC 15 vs Ref) | Centered so that the target is 15 feet in on the near side of the radius.

If she does not spot him:

Dorial squints and grows noticeably frustrated. "Can anyone else spot him?"

Status:

HP: 10/10
Subdual: 2
Weapon(s) Equipped = shield
Conditions = None
Wind Blast = 5/7
Druid Spells Remaining:
0) Detect Magic, Create Water, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1) Whispering Wind, Entangle (maybe)


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Round 3, Init 19

Kast smiles as he translates Simon's 'gibberish' for Othoe.

Knowing that he chances of catching the sniper (or even effectively crossing the river) were slim, Kast maintains an active guard over Othoe, Simon, Dorial, and the fox.

Ready to spear any bad thing that comes within reach.


On the eastern side of the river, Nimeon readies his bow, looking fruitlessly for the fleeing archer while Kast continues to provide cover for Dorial and Othoe. This allows Othoe to take his time to pick his shot, letting fly one of his force missiles after the obviously wounded being on the other side and Dorial to fling her own spell, the flora on the other side exploding in growth. Nearly forgotten, the wounded hawk tries to fly away, but tumbles out of the sky, broken wing twisted awkwardly behind him.

As Othoe’s missile flies home, spinning the hobgoblin completely around with the force of the impact and Dorial’s vines tighten around his feet, Chrystosm stands firm against the tug of the river, pulls his cross bow, and sends a bolt deep into the throat of the would be assassin. Dorial’s vines finish the job, pulling the limp body down into the underbrush until it disappears in the greenery.

Having freed the fox, Simon now tries to cure it, reaching out with his own magic. If it could run, it probably would have, but it’s leg, mangled and bloody keeps it slow and in place. It growls at first, but when the healing sinks in, it whimpers pitifully and tries to move. Instead of leaping for the woods, though, the happy creature tentatively inches closer, offering a light lick to the man’s fingers.

The final hawk, as if realizing it’s freedom is now, keeps flying, disappearing into the distance.
end of round three. We are now out of initiative

character......Initiative......round 3 (action):

hawk2.............22......the hawk squawks and tries to fly, only to fall limply near Dorial again.
Nimeon...........20......Nim readies to shoot, but never spots his target
Kast.................19......Kast continues to protect Othoe and Dorial, just in case.
Othoe.............18......Othoe, Master missile slinger sends another force missile after the creature in the trees. His eagle eyes search out his prey, drilling him in the back as he tries to shift between trees. (4)
Chrystosm......17......Chrystosm curses and spits as it appears he may have gotten soaked for nothing. He pulls his crossbow, loads and shoots it, all while standing firm against the river's current. The bolt catches the hobgoblin (for now it's easy to see that is what it is now) in the throat right after Othoe's missile spun it back around. (6)
Dorial............13......Dorials spell catches the falling body, entangling it and pulling the limp body down to the overgrown river bank.
Grung...........12......bleeds and bleeds some more
Simon...........11......Simon cures the fox, which watches him cautiously, testing his poor leg as it does a careful hop back and forth.
hawk1.............4......flew off
fox (1hp)......1......see simon

dice rolls:
1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 4 = 16


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast, seeing the fox's injured leg get healed so easily, realizes yet again that is on a different path in life.

If only fixing a leg were that easy.

Kast gets out of his protective stance and leans again on his longspear for support, to keep the weight of his leg.

"There you go, lil fox. You're all better. We two-leggers..." I suppose I qualify as a two-legger. "...aren't all bad."

Kast moves over to slap Simon on his back. "Good work, Simon...a lot of trouble, but really worth it."

"Is everyone else okay? Do we need to bury that thing's body? What was it?"


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

"Thanks Kast!" beams Simon, glad for the praise and happy to have saved the fox. "Poor thing didn't deserve such a fate."

Simon reaches out his fingers, letting the fox smell them, before reaching up and petting the little creature's head and scratching it behind the ears.

"Dorial, do you have another of those amazing spells that let you speak with the animals?" begs Simon, "We could talk to the little fox here and even help the hawk. I've another healing spell that could mend it's wing, the sad creature was loyal to it's master, maybe that same loyalty can help us? A set of eyes in the sky will find landmarks better than any of us on the ground."

Still petting the fox, Simon detaches his cloak and hands it to Dorial.

"Here, cradle the hawk in my cloak if you can, it'll need a warm nest for healing, even with our help."

Genuinely pleased to be helping the animals, Simon shows the most life he has in days, his nurturing aspect shining through the glum demeanor than has been plaguing him.


Dorial frowns slightly, "Sorry Simon, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can do that again. If I'm to memorize that then I will have to give up something else though."

She takes the cloak from Simon and cradles the hawk between her arms. She feeds one of her remaining berries to the hawk, it's healing effects taking quick action.

Wild Empathy: (I suck at these)1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast yells to Chrysto, "Did you see where it fell? Can you find the body? And the bow?"


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Nimeon nods grimly as the hobgoblin is drug into the bush.

"Do we know who he was? Anybody recognize him? Was he one of Kreed's boys?"

He absently tugs at his right ear.

"Well done Simon, that leg should serve her well now."


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3
Kast wrote:
Kast yells to Chrysto, "Did you see where it fell? Can you find the body? And the bow?"

"I'm looking now!", shouts back Chrystosm, reloading his crossbow (just in case) and wading out of the river on the far back, searching through the undergrowth for the corpse and its (former) possessions

Can I take 20 on the search? If not, Perception 1d20 ⇒ 9

If no Take 20 allowed:
"I can't see a thing for all these leaves! Can someone come and give me a hand?"


Once Dorial's spell ends, the body is easy to find (I'm assuming Chrystosm waited until after it ended to try to find the body, rather than wading into the entangle spell?), but the hobgoblin hunter is beyond help by that point. The bow is caught in the tree, but not broken. On his body is a quiver containing 10 arrows, a bag of pretty stones, a longsword, a dagger, and jerky of some kind. His armor is leather, including a falconer's glove, and a shoulder perch, but he doesn't seem to be carrying enough gear to be traveling very far.

The fox, now healed, continues to edge closer to Simon, though darts away if anyone else gets too close. The hawk pecks at the berry, which causes it's wound to stop bleeding, though it is still obviously broken. Stubbornly, it continues to struggle and squawk, trying to get free.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Simon keeps petting the little fox and when it gets close enough and comfortable with him, he takes the time to check its wounds and be sure they are healing correctly.

Heal Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Trying to make friends with the little fur ball, Simon will feed it some of the biscuits he's brought along for food.

Encouraging Dorial to wear the newly acquired falconer's glove and shoulder perch, Simon offers to heal the bird while it's perched on her arm, hoping the party can make friends with two animals as a result of the encounter.


Dorial accepts the glove and shoulder perch from Simon. Once the glove is on, she attempts to coax the hawk to perch on it, stroking it's chest and feeding it with what food she can muster.


Human Oracle 5 / Witch 1 | init +3, per +1 | AC 16/13/13 | HP 19/37 | Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +11 | CMB +4, CMD 17

Once the injured hawk is in place on Dorial's perch and feed a few bits of food, Simon will cast another of his Cure Light Wounds on the creature to heal it's damaged wing.

CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast stands back as the others tend to the animals, envious of their skill, while keeping an eye on the woods for other hunters.

Kast will move to the river to help Chrystosm across the river, even extending his longspear for the man so he can be pulled back in.

Kast, just being hopeful, will inspect the possessions of the 'hobgoblin' and cast Detect Magic on them to look for dweomers.

"Is this all the gear, Chrysto? No food, no tent, no sleeping pelt? Yeah know, he might have a base camp nearby. Heck, there might be other animals in need all around his camp. Might be worth a quick search to find it if it's nearby." Kast ponders for a moment.

"I guess we should check upwind first, if I was guessing where a camp might be. Can any of you track well?"


M Human (Cheliaxian) Fighter (Cad) 3 /Rogue 3

Chrystosm shrugs. "That's everything I can find. I can't track; if no-one else can, I'd be happier continuing on our present course, personally. It'd be easy to get lost in these woods."

Chrystosm looks about him nervously. He doesn't really trust nature in the raw.


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

"Let me take a look Chrys."

Survival to track: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Nimeon shakes his head.

"This hobgoblin was a crafty one, his skills far exceed my own. Simon, Dorial, have you any idea?"

"See anything special about that bow Kast?"


The group finds nothing more on the Eastern side, but once the others swim to join Chystosm, a small wooden row boat is found pulled up into the trees a half mile from the ambush site. Several other blinds are also found, each across from one of the animal traps on the other shore. The fox, having swum the river to keep near Simon, shivers with fear near them all, but the hawk tries to fly free. His wing, though set by Simon's ministrations remains weak, his flight unstable. It is with a disgruntled ruffling of his feathers that he returns to the perch on Dorial's arm, pecking her on the cheek, though gentle enough that it doesn't draw blood.

The bow looks surprisingly clean and well cared for a creature of his type. Elven runes decorate its length and whatever material the string is made out of shimmers when the light hits it.

are you guys going looking for his camp or continuing on? or do I have you guys on the wrong side of the river?


|| Per +15 | Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +6 | BAB +5 | CMB +7 | CMD 20 || Half-Elf (Humanoid Elf/Human) Paladin of Erastil/Ranger 3/2

Sounds like you're right on the side of the river, I'd like to search for his camp but with a 5 on the roll there's nothing I can do. Can I tell if the bow is masterwork?

"Friends, I've no idea where this creature stole this bow, but if you don't mind I'd like to use it. Perhaps I can help it regain some of the honor it no doubt lost being used by scum like this."


Male Halfing (Chelaxian) (HP: 30/32, AC: 12 (f11/t12))

Othoe wishes prestidigitation had a 'dry' setting as he clambers out of the water. He dries himself off as best he can and at least uses the spell to clean any river muck off himself.

He considers the boat, and shrugs at their chances to track the archer now.

"Quite a sophisticated hunter for this sort of creature I think. And a sophisticated bow. Perhaps he works for someone else, someone with more intelligence. We should be careful."

Chrystosm wrote:
"That's everything I can find. I can't track; if no-one else can, I'd be happier continuing on our present course, personally. It'd be easy to get lost in these woods."

"I agree Chrystosm, we should press on. We can at least be confident that we ended the reign of one efficient hunter in these woods, but the plague must be our larger concern."

Nimeon wrote:
"Friends, I've no idea where this creature stole this bow, but if you don't mind I'd like to use it. Perhaps I can help it regain some of the honor it no doubt lost being used by scum like this."

Othoe chuckles, "I think the bow is a little large for me, but you might want to hide it a little when we head into camp. It might belong to someone we don't want to anger. Who knows what sort of creatures the leadership might employ to feed the workers..."


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

Kast shakes his head in response to Nimeon's query.

"No, the longspear is my weapon. I don't have the hands for archery."

Yet. Maybe with practice.

* * *

"While I wouldn't mind searching for this jerk's camp, I think we should press on. But not before destroying his other traps. We wouldn't want other animals to be caught and suffer."

Kast will help find and destroy any other snares or traps.

Kast is ready to move on.


After holding the bow for some time, Nimeon can feel how perfectly balanced it is and the smoothness of the carved elven runes. yes, definitely masterwork.

The traps trigger and break fairly easily by use of a well placed boot or rock. continuing inward, about a mile from the original camp, the hawk squawks and tries to fly once more, taking off only to land up in one of the trees in what looks like a small wooden nesting box of some sort.


sorry, perception checks?


Male Human (Varisian) Scholar 2; AC 14, Touch 9, Flat 14 (-1 dex); HP 21/21; Init -1.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2 Perception

Kast looks around, but mainly focuses on not tripping over any roots or traps that might be about.

Kast remembers to gather the gear left by the hobgoblin, especially the longsword.

I don't know how to wield that either...yet.


Dorial sighs are the injured hawk struggles to the trees above.

Poor thing, I hope he heals alright.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

551 to 600 of 4,787 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "In Search of Heroes" gameplay thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.