Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

In Darkest Times (Inactive)

Game Master Magnu123

In short, this homebrew was intended for beginner GM's. The story contains a variety of elements in sequence that gradually go through different terrains, battle situations, and other challenges to allow a DM to become familiar with the rules.


201 to 250 of 1,704 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

At Unraveler "So...any more tricks you would like to reveal?"
At En Ahst "Any particularly aromatic trash you fancy?"
At both "No? Then lets go."

Alric strides towards the exit bearing the sword like a torch. So many things to do. Gear, companions, and the ring he still couldn't remove. He could just be rid of it here, but it would be quite bothersome to lose a finger if another way presented itself.


Male Human Magus (Blade Bound, Hexcrafter)5

Wrong avatar again. lol


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6
Magnu123 wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

"Agreed"

Due to real life issues I probably won't be back online until Monday night.


Your story will await you until then.

Casvian:
You search the remaining directions with the same vigor as you have shown so far. 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21 The third room appears entirely empty except for some cobwebs and a moisture in the air. The final direction leads back into town. "There is a look-out station here. The guards change every three days. It overlooks the town. If they hear anyone approaching, they will send an alert. It's a long trek back into town this way, we best rest before returning."

Alric:
You advance quickly towards the exit, the creatures in the pit seem interested in your presence and they approach the rim of the cave, but they seem fearful to leave it. As you exit, En Ahst and Odorf remain right behind you. You pick your way towards the edge of town, unraveler extinguishing his light before you could be detected by it. As you approach the town, the state of the people is chaotic.

A bit of a time differential here. We'll need to catch Argent and Thundrik up. It's understandable since there are two of you.

T & A:
Thundrik continues to approach the fight scene, and Argent strikes for his next opponent. He digs deep into the woman's side, nearly dropping her, but she lashes out once more with her whip, striking a critical vein in Argent's neck. Thundrik finally arrives and charges the cleric woman just in time and the advancing slaves were just about upon Argent. Thundrik misses his attack horribly, hitting his jaw against the railng as he falls, but Argent brings his pick down overhand in one final arc, penetrating the woman's armor, leaving her dead. The slaves cease their actions and all is eerily quiet. Supplies from 2 drow nobles, 12 heavy picks, 2 scorpion whips, and any of your supplies that don't produce light are recovered. The slaves remain slack jawed and Miro awaits you.


Alright, I should be able to contribute once again. Judging by your last post, Magnu, I'm assuming I whiffed terribly (that sounded like a natural 1, in fact)? My goodness. The gods of virtual dice seem to have it in for me these last few days.

The last few moments seem like a blur to Thundrik. He momentarily allowed his restrained power loose, and immediately after his senses were taken over- whether it was his power or a magical effect he doesn't know, but in either case, the next thing he knew, he was fleeing away from his friend as fast as his fatigued legs would carry him. He ran back, and in his shaken state he overexerted his attack and fell, hitting his jaw as he fell. He gets back up a moment later, tasting iron as he regains his senses. He first checks around to make sure Argent and Miro are alive, and then checks to make sure whether the drow guards are dead or simply unconscious.

Heal check (if necessary): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

A die roll befitting every single die roll I've made this combat. I think his attempt at discerning whether they're alive or not consists of kicking them repeatedly.


Indeed, a natural 1 for you, a natural 20 for the drow. You folk's aren't getting any lean room as far as dice are concerned. 5 points damage for Argent from the whip as an aside. 1 point non-lethal from the natural 1 and falling. As far as Thundrik can tell, the drow cleric captors are dead, or if they are alive, it will be a miraculous thing if they recover fully.


Male Human Magus (Blade Bound, Hexcrafter)5

Argent hold his neck, looks at Thundrk and coughs out a hoarse "where the Hades were you. Uhhhh would you please stop kicking things...and people." He looks down at the Drow that was in charge grabs her Masterwork Rapier and her Prisoner control ring pauses and says "This should come in handy!? Argent quickly pockets the ring then begins to examine his and Thundriks rings with the serious intention of getting them off.
spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


Argent believes he may be able to remove the ring with enough lead blocking the magical forces connecting it to his finger. If that fails, he will need to get a remove curse spell or find the owner's ring. The rings of the two drow here are not for your group, but, as evidenced by their commands, they are intended for the other slaves in the mines.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I am not home until Friday, but I can stop by the Library 2 more times this week. I can hold off posting since I have limited internet access anyway. When the others are caught up, let me know.


Alright. The timeline is about even right now, but I'm looking to introduce a new player so this will give me a chance to get her oriented before she joins you.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Alric begins to peer out and look for a path to follow to reach where he last saw the blood aura of Argent. Perhaps he had retained enough of his sanity to be able to make something of the ring.
Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Alric:
Weak lights from candles provide the only light in the town. They are like the stars in the night's sky, seemingly numerous, but each so tiny and insignificant. There is a reasonable lack of movement in town. Most comes from the temple up and to your right, but even then, it is only a small smattering of guards. You suspect you could make your way through town unnoticed if you do it with enough "finesse" and skirt the more populated areas. Even a diversion tactic would work reasonably well.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Momentarily daunted by the prospect of locating anything in the chaos, Alric pauses to sit sown against the cave wall, tapping En Ahst to invite him to rest. The looted scroll from the guard pokes uncomfortably out of his belt. Wait, the scroll!
Alric unrolls the battered parchment carefuly. "Detect Magic"
As the runes on the surface begin to glow under detection it becomes just possible to read. "Read Magic"


Everyone else still around? Haven't heard from Thundrik in a while.
Alric: It's a scroll of dispel magic, unless there was another one you were thinking of?


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

I knew, but my character just found out. So now he's gonna try to dispel the ring and immediatly take it off. I should get 1d4 rounds, one is all i need. Im assuming minimum caster level for a 3rd level scroll

CL check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Sorry, I've had a couple really busy night shifts at work the last couple nights, which means I can't do anything while I'm at work and then when I get home I'm a zombie until I wake up for work the following night. Sorry about that.

Thundrik looks over the dead drow, and helps Argent take any weapons and gear they may have. Not that he's all for stealing from the dead, but any weapons left with their captors can only end up bad for them. He stows away his pick, and sees Argent fiddling with the dark elves' rings.

"Have you figured out what these things do? Is there... any way to get rid of them?"

He walks over to Miro, and makes sure whether he's hurt or not. He takes his pick back out, wonders why he put it away in the first place, and then attempts to use it to break Miro's chains.

I wasn't sure whether Miro's chains were still connected to anything, or if he could move about freely. If he's still connected to anything, I'll break the chains with my pick. I'm not sure if I need to roll since it seems we're out of combat, but I'll roll just in case.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 101d6 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18


Wow. I just want to point something out- since this last combat began, here is every d20 roll I made, starting with my initiative roll:

2 2 8 3 4 6 11 10 5 5 5 3

Two rolls that were a ten or better (and just barely), out of twelve. And that's not even counting the natural one that was rolled for me.

Not that that's anybody's fault, but... I mean, come on!


Using my dice theory, that means you're overdue for a streak of high rolls. Fortune cookie says: Take risks today. Also, no need to be sorry for work. I understand, believe me.

Thundrik:
Miro has already been set loose from his chain by Argent, but shortening the length is much appreciated. You take any supplies you like from the drow and Argent seems most interested in turning towards town, past the supply shack. You note that there are still a dozen other slaves here beside yourselves, standing doe eyes like zombies, and waiting for a command. Of note amongst these are two orc cart pushers, Miro, and two chaingangs of four.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6
Magnu123 wrote:

Everyone else still around? Haven't heard from Thundrik in a while.

Alric: It's a scroll of dispel magic, unless there was another one you were thinking of?

I posted here.


That's 3 days for Argent now, Thundrik can consider himself leader of the mine group until Argent takes his reigns back.

Argent and Alric are able to remove their rings using their unique methods. Thundrik copies Argent's strategy as well. Your ring fingers would be white and pale had you not been living in near twilight for the past 4 weeks.


I'm not sure what the deal is with Argent- I usually talk to him every day or so, but I haven't seen him online since Monday. If I see him I'll remind him to post.

Thundrik manages to get his ring off, and considers crushing it beneath his boot but decides better of it. He instead stows it away in his pocket. He turns to Argent and Miro, trying to get an idea of where they are, considering he has practically no memory of however long they've been here.

"Miro... do you know how we might get out of here? Or what direction to go?"


Thundrik:
" This is the only way out. Through town. I do not know exactly where they go, but I think most raiding parties leave through the north exit of town. If you do go, be carfeul. Many have tried. Almost none have succeeded."

Your Story Begins Here:

Anya:
A young elven woman, you left home one day to escape the mundane life awaiting you with your father as a store clerk. After a short time adventuring, you found yourself in over your head and you were kidnapped by the drow and enslaved. You eventually awoke and escaped, using your powers of persuasion to get free. Now you have been living in the caves underground for a long time and you have learned that it is time to strike out against your oppressors and find your freedom.


Male Human Magus (Blade Bound, Hexcrafter)5

Sorry about the long absence lots of stuff In RL, but like an X-man it got better. :) After getting those accursed rings off Argent takes the most expedient route toward Unraveller with Thundrik. He also don's the ring of the overseer and commands the slaves to follow them thinking "At worst we have fodder that can save our lives at best we're heroes! Looks like a win-win to me!" Looking disdainfully at the Rapier he acquired he grumbles "look at you! You're so thin and fragile, and silent....I could deal with the rest but you're too d*** quiet. How am I supposed to trust a sword that doesn't speak its mind. Snapping back to reality suddenly he quiets hoping no one has heard the tirade he issued at an inanimate object for being inanimate. Welcome to the game Anya


Casvian, as per your request, the others are meeting up. You can keep going at your convenience. Choosing to re-examine any rooms, to assault the drow outpost, return to town, or rest for the night seem to be your options at present.

Alric, Argent, Thundrik:
Although you are unaware of it, both Argent and unraveler speak simultaneously " He's close. " You are on opposite side of town with Alric, En Ahst, and Unraveler on the north and the others to the south. So close, yet so far. There must be dozens of drow warriors and clerics in the area, not to mention any other nasties they might have around. It seems that one or both of your groups must eventually traverse this dangerous ground.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

"En Ahst, I intend to forego seeking exit or safety in order to retrieve my stolen property and liberate my somewhat companions. I hold you under no obligation to follow me, so if you wish, we may part ways here."
Hloding up the ring.
"Though if your wearing one of these, and wish to keep your finger, you may be inclined to join."


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I am going to rest for the night, and then continue on my last path.

I will reread everything when I get back home.


Alric:
En Ahst looks at his hand for a moment, but he takes his dog with him and they head off in the opposite direction. Apparently not realizing the severity of the situation, or perhaps if he does, he feels he has higher priorities. You think he is going about things backwards and that he will be worse off for it, but you must live your own life and move on. Another PC was supposed to be playing this character, but it looks like they're not willing to commit.

I assume you meant for the ooc and the regular text to be reversed? :P


Thundrik calls out to Argent once they've gotten everything together.

"Argent... I guess we should go into the town, if we're hoping to get out of here. Do you want to lead or should I?"


Doing Anya's solo fight on tabletop. She's new to pathfinder and a local here, so I'm declaring hiatus until she's in. It'll be well worth the wait though. I can promise you that. Likely just a few days.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6
Magnu123 wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

I assume you meant for the ooc and the regular text to be reversed? :P

I did, but somehow I got mixed up. I will be home tonight to write a something more than "check the block" posts later tonight.

edit:I just read the post on the delay. I will check back on Wednesday or Thursday.


Looks like RL scheduling is going to delay the entrance of our new hero a bit longer. We'll move on for now and I'll bring her in at the next best spot. For now, let's keep going.

Casvian: You are awoken shortly after nodding off by a grasping hand, it is Dratis, yanking you out of bed with a great passion. "Grab what you need to fight, let's go. " When you arrive at your destination, you find the town of the drowcity quiet. Lights are sparse, but you can tell that essentially the only movement is coming from the temple.

All: The last of the slaves and drow have been brought into the temple and there are screams of torture and death coming from deep within. Before you have a chance to act, three large creatures rush out of the temple and begin climbing the walls dispersing over the roof of the cave. The light is not enough to give you a good image, but whatever it is, it has a lot of legs.
perception, k(religion), and initiative please. Also, you can consider this a surprise round for your side. Map will be up by tomorrow.

Edit: Map is up under "drowtown" in the Terra Vicis page


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Knowledge Religion 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Male Human Magus (Blade Bound, Hexcrafter)5

perception1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
K(religion1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Sorry, I thought it would be longer before it was my turn.
Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30

Initiative: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

edit: Feel free to hunt me down next time. I normally post under wraithstrike.

edit2:If the map is up I am not finding it.


Not sure what the problem is with the map. I'm able to open it just fine. You're clicking "Drowtown" in the wikidot page? Go to the "Terra Vicis" sidebar first, then it should be a link in blue after "Your location" Your character is on the far right of the area if that's the confusion.


I'm not sure if Argent and I are included in the rolls requested, but just in case:

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 ⇒ 3

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Gosh, those sure were some amazing rolls. Two elevens in one month? You better take these dice from me! :-P


Initiative:
24-Casvian and Dratis
13-Driders
11-Alric and ?
4-Thundrik/slaves
3-Argent/slaves

Your respective allies will act on your initiatives.

Casvian:
These creatures are Driders. Aberration type. An unholy union of arachnids and drow.

Alric and Casvian can easily detect their targets as they approach They can see that these beasts have open sores over recently released chains. They are hurt and therefore more dangerous like wild animals. Their groaning sounds like glass shattering. Meanwhile, Thundrik and Argent lose their target into the shadows.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

stealth 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I clicked on Drowtown beside Startsville. I have it now. I am in the area the Hurricane is visiting so I might lose internet this weekend. If don't post an attack after you let me know where the driders are I want to do a full round attack on one of the driders once I am within 100 feet.

GM only:
I don't see Driders on the excel map though, but I do see the rest of the party and the temple.


Ah, you are right, Casvian. I'll update the map with your enemies. Not sure what happened there. Take care and be safe to those of you in the hurricane's path. I'll wait 72 hours between posts before botting your characters, so don't spend a second thought on this game. RL takes priority especially in an emergency.


Botted: Argent

Dratis does not wait for Casvian. He advances quickly forward out of his field of vision, pressing up against a building and waiting to strike.

The large spider-creatures continue to press towards their goals. They are clearly looking to secure the entrances into the townsite.
Alric attempts to hide behind a stone outcropping, but he finds himself hit with an uncontrollable urge to sneeze. "Achoo!" The beast that was previously only taking post now looks in your direction exactly. Unraveler says "Nuts to this. If I were meant to be stealthy, I would have been a dagger. Let's tear them open!" He then illuminates the area with his light, making Alric feel more like a painted target than a threat against these behemoths.

There is an unusual silence from Argent and Thundrik's side of town, but Argent chooses to throw caution to the wind, pressing forward towards unraveler with his slaves and Miro in toe. He too presses up against the edge of a building before moving on. Peering around the corner. He sees only darkness.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

As Unravelers light paints him, Alric begins to laugh. After all, it is pointless to hide from destiny, instead, Embrace it. Standing tall, he flourishes Unraveler in a formal salute and shouts a challenge

Elvish:
"I am Alric Aldhelm, born of Dragon blood! Despair, for your death is nigh!"

not sure how far away the driders are, so I'll loose an acid arrow when they are in range

Acid arrow 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
damage 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 4) + 2 = 10 Arcana

edit: I just remembered what Driders can do.....this is gonna suck isn't it? No turning back now.


FINALLY figured out what was wrong with my map and the enemies not showing up. It's now fixed 100% Sorry for the delay. It won't happen again


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

There's FOUR of them?!?


size large. Don't panic.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

What a relief, now I know Im only moderately outmatched. Heh


On my turn, Thundrik is going to double-move directly north.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Casvian can take his full attack. I'll roll for you.

Surprise round and Round 1 results

Casvian lets fly a number of arrows into the darkness at the drider while Dratis advanced to make an assault. Casvian has since picked up his quiver and arrows from the body left further back in the tunnels.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 91d8 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 141d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 261d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 81d100 ⇒ 481d100 ⇒ 28
Crit confirm: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Casvians first hit is in the right direction, but the large spider deftly dodges out of the way. The second arrow strikes true though and does considerable damage to the beast.

Casvian's drider, surprised by this sudden onslaught, continues unabated towards the entry way where Casvian stands. Alric's drider advances upon him. Alric's sneeze gives away his position, but the acid arrow strikes true and the beast is that much closer to death for it.

Argent and Thundrik move into the centre of town, Argent's eyes fixed upon unraveler's position. Thundrik's eyes flicking back to notice the slaves still obediently following him.

Your turn everyone, I'm going on a trip for the next week, but I'll try my best to update regularly.


Excuse the avatar inconsistency, everyone. I hope it doesn't cause any confusion. Both are me.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I am at a friend's house borrowing internet. I won't officially be back until tomorrow or Thursday night. I dont like hurricanes.

201 to 250 of 1,704 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In Darkest Times All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.