Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

In Darkest Times (Inactive)

Game Master Magnu123

In short, this homebrew was intended for beginner GM's. The story contains a variety of elements in sequence that gradually go through different terrains, battle situations, and other challenges to allow a DM to become familiar with the rules.


1,351 to 1,400 of 1,704 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Help me put out the fire Thervold points at Alric and Casvian and goes to get a barrel of water.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Casvian grabs or helps Thervold grab a barrel.


Casvian and Thervold lift from opposite sides of the barrel, but their strength alone is not enough to lift it.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Alric lends his strength as well


Female Human Monk 7

I attempt to move the barrel towards the fire then tip it over the fire.


Through your combined efforts

OOC:
(and from the numbers on my side of the board, only through your combined efforts
, you are able to lift the barrel slowly toward the growing blaze and tip it over to put out the blaze. The gang of men is long gone now and you are left with a wet smouldering pile. There is another hour or so before the feast is to be held in the arena. You have been led to believe that this is an event equally important as the more direct competitions of the rodeo.
Over the course of the next hour you are each pulled aside by Roughrider for a short interrogation.
questions:
Roughrider wears robes of inquisition and lights a candle as he begins speaking. He offers you a tea as things go on and nothing seems too intense or urgent to him. "Can you please state you full name and your purpose for coming to this area. What is your relationship to the ranch hands working here at this place? What transpired before during and immediately after your encounter with those same men earlier in this day?" Roughrider then goes a different direction with his questions. "Are you aware of any affiliation these men or any others may have with dark forces, or forces of chaos? What do you know about the end of the world? What are your plans for said end times? "


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Teriwyth:
Looking to Feliss "We'll talk about it later" after Roughrider's barrage of questions Teriwyth says "Well I guess the easiest place to start would be my name. My name is Teriwÿth Çordaërid Lâgirt Tohûdiel" He says the sentence in regular common but fully pronounces his name in Elvish.

"I have a working relationship with the hands here, they happened to be short on space so in exchange for a little help we're given places to stay and food to eat."

"Well before the encounter they had just wrapped up one of those rodeo things and I was out and about. Immediately after....well here I am aren't I?" Teriwyth says with a smile.

"I do believe we met one of these agents of Chaos, though we parted on terms that were far from friendly."

"Don't know a whole lot about the end days. If I had to choose how to spend the last of my days it would probably be in the arms of a pretty elf maid. I have dedicated my life to the pursuit of the arcane and have had little time for anything else..." Teriwyth sounds wistful by the end of it, eyes staring off into space as he trails off.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Did RR walk off after the fire started, or did I misread that section?


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Casvian wrote:
Did RR walk off after the fire started, or did I misread that section?

He walked off.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Casvian refuses to answer the man who walked away and did not help us.


Teri:
Alright, very good. Thank You, Teriwynth for your help. Now, I understand your group of adventurers is making their way east. I have official business further west in Startville, but I would like to ask you for a favour. Roughrider opens his drawer and brings out a map of the area. He points to a location further east nearer to the coastline. "This is my hometown, Benton, the import centre for the continent. I've received word that something is amiss in that area. Someone's gone missing... " Rufus leans back in his chair and looks off into the distance. He sips his tea slowly and then continues "I too wish to be in the arms of a maiden when the end times come, but I have a sworn duty of service that I must uphold first. You can understand my dillemna, I think. So I ask this of you, man to man. Will you help me?

Casvian:
Roughrider looks you up and down authoritatively, and then states [b]"Sir, my obligation is not to put out every fire that hooligans make for themselves. You are under the employ of the owner of this establishment, and it doesn't look like you had that much difficulty, so I will recommend that you comply willingly. " In the last moments of that speech, Roughrider's demeanour becomes threatening, suggesting perhaps that he is willing to take you in and work without your consent.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold:
I'm Thervold Windwalker. I was sent by King Requhist Poliver Maliven the 4th. Lord of the High Country, Defender of the Faith and Seer of The Enchanted Realms to this land. I'm here looking for answers to the 'end times' and currently traveling with this motley lot in hopes that I can achieve this task. As for these ranch hands, to be honest, I have no idea why we were combatting one another. I merely came to the aid of my companions, perhaps foolishly so.

Can you tell me more about the 'end times'?


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Alric stares silently at the Dwarf. Keep silent and they got nothing on you.
Just like the guild days. They'll poke their nose in everything but won't stoop to actually protectin' anybody. He didn't even care about the fire.


Female Human Monk 7

To RR:

Spoiler:
I'm Edelle Flexhorn and I really haven't had much interaction with these ranch hands. They don't appear to be good honest people though. I was practising my martial skills on that hill over there when I saw my friends being attacked and stepped in to help them.

I'm quiet concerned about the End Times, I've heard some tid-bits about various shadowy figures around these parts trying to control/create/profit from them. I'm hoping to soften the impact for people as much as possible.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Your spoiler has nothing in it Magnu.


Yeah, I had noticed that. Weird glitch. I'll retype

Roughrider addresses the two silent men similarly

Cas&Alric:
Sir, I recognize your reluctance to speak as contempt for me. Perhaps you feel a dislike for men of the cloth, or those who enforce the laws of the land, however I am trying to do my own job here, as I would have expected you to do your own job earlier with that barrel set aflame. I understand it was your own man who ignited that fire, so it is only just that you quench it. Now, please, I ask you to speak to me.

Edelle:
Roughrider leans in, intrigued. "Can you tell me more about these forces surrounding the end times that you are aware of? Any details at all. "

Thervold:
"Ah, a man from a foreign land, I should have known by your unusual manner and sun-kissed skin. The end times are legend in this area, and have been for as long as the collective memory can recall. In fact, our annual calendar revolves around the prophecies of the end times, collaborated simulataneously by mystic across the continent. This is Year Zero, the year indicated as the end times. Indeed some people have begun acting very strangely in response to these events. Throwing their cautions to the wind and giving into primal urges. " At this, Roughrider snorts. "Pah! We must maintain order and keep our heads lest we risk eternal damnation. Now, to the matter at hand, Sir, I understand you are responsible for igniting the fire during this fight, and that you threatened to take the life of a man as well? "


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

Spoiler:
"I will do what I can." Teriwyth quiets finishing his cup of tea and leaving with a nod.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

"We did not start it, even though I don't know how it happened. What I do know is that the other men walked off as if they did not care."


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold:
Sir, they attacked my companions first! I was merely invoking the forces of the ancients to help protect them from bodily harm. And while I do regret raining lightning down upon the grounds, what does one do when a knife is pulled against his neck? He fights back sir! Or surely as the sun rises in the sky, his neck is cut!

Thervold sounds more than a little annoyed at being focused upon for helping his companions. He silently starts reciting to himself an invisibility spell, keeping it at ready.


Roughrider thanks you for your input and then waves you away.

After the interrogations, you have a short time before the evening ceremonial feast held in the arena. The stage is already set up and cooks are working hard in the mainhouse preparing foods. Most people are in their tents, donning ornate garb and preparing for the feast. From the atmosphere in the area, this is not an event to go to underdressed.

Edelle is led to her seat, and an array of dishes are placed before her to choose from. Salads, various meats, desserts, and sides, anything she likes can be found here. Roughrider places himself down next to her, but he is much less talkative than before. His ornate robe of green and his ornately tied and knotted beard show a high level of sophistication.

The rest of the group is seated around the arena. Food for this meal is handed off cheaply, and there are many free samples going around. The large stage where Edelle and the other contestants are seated is clearly visible and well lit. In fact, there are two gnomes flitting back and forth along the table. They are projecting larger than life images of the contestants and their dishes through their magics for other people to see.


Female Human Monk 7

Privately to RR: So Roughrider, you look like a pretty serious guy with important duties, why do you come here to compete in the rodeo every year?


Roughrider responds, " Well Miss Edelle, I have always been fascinated by animals. There are ways that they seem to be people more than most people. On top of this, although I have commited my life to my work, we recognize that rest is an important part of quality work, and that it is healthy to have other hobbies. "

As Roughrider speaks, the barn door opens and the crowd begins to cheer louder. They begin chanting "Dragon! Dragon! Dragon!!!" Finally, a roar can be heard over the crowd and a behemoth creature emerges from the barn. It's long cruel fangs twisting out of its mouth, and it's blue sheen scales glistening in the sun. This is the Wyvern spoken of previously, and you recognize it as the same Wyvern from the night of the storm. It has numerous gold dragon coins encrusted onto its underbelly, giving it a golden shadow of sorts. The beast approaches the table. and begins sniffing at the foods and at the contestants...


The wyvern, ironically named Buttercup you have learned, begins to precisely stab through the food on the table with its barbed tail and then tosses the meats and foods into its mouth. There is a severe tension in some contestants who begin to sweat and sit stiff as a board as the Wyvern comes nearby. will save from Edelle The boys can't help but be entertained the the festivities, as each of them considers themselves a brave man. They begin bantering about how they would each handle a dragon fight, stories getting more grandious and exaggerated as time passes. Finally, Casvian points out. "Where's Troy? I haven't seen him most of the day. "


Female Human Monk 7

Will Save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Edelle:
Its the same! The same wyvern! Maybe it knows someting?


Edelle supresses the urge to panic as the beast comes next to her, It's heavy breath dampening her face as it looks her over. Finally the beast moves on and Edelle relaxes. The Wyvern scares off a few of the contestants who flee the table and are immediately disqualified. Mama D steps in each time to prevent the Wyvern chasing them, as would be its natural tendency, one of the announcers explains. After the meal, Edelle rejoins the rest of the group and they are able to rest for the night. The next event in the morning will be steer wrestling.
Any preparations or other explorations anyone would like to do before we change days?


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

While a wyvern was not, strictly speaking, a dragon, it was the closest thing Alric had ever seen! How could he not at least try to talk, especially after last time?

message: Buttercup (Draconic:
My name is Alric, and though we met before I would like to speak with you.

Best to talk from a distance, at least at first.


You confront the Wyvern after the feast nearby to the barn. You are no longer permitted inside as the barn is strictly for participants in the rodeo, but Buttercup sits in the loft with her head out, looking into the night. The Wyvern turns its head quickly around to the direction your voice comes from and breathes a sigh.

Draconic:
"Speak to me, Alric"


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Magnu123 wrote:
Any preparations or other explorations anyone would like to do before we change days?

Nope


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I don't have anything to do either.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold stretches, tired of the events of the day.


A restless night for all. Edelle is concerned about her coming events. She has visions of diving off a horse to grapple a large cow into submission. She wonders what strange events lie ahead and if the prize for this tournament is worth the effort. She looks about her in the barn at the other contestants. One day through and already there are many beds empty.

The men of the team are restless for a very different reason. As they stretch and yawn in the dark trying to get comfortable, they can hear a hissing in one of the nearby bunks. The workhouse is still shared with the men who had previously fought with you. Now rather than intermingling, they have moved your group to the back of the cabin. Half asleep, you feel a force trying to affect you.

Voice Inside Your Ear:
"Shh. Don't move" a whisper comes to your ear, the voice of Sly. "We have the child you came with. He is safe, for now, however if you attempt to take any further action against us, he will not be. We will not have our goals hindered."


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Magnu123 wrote:

A restless night for all. Edelle is concerned about her coming events. She has visions of diving off a horse to grapple a large cow into submission. She wonders what strange events lie ahead and if the prize for this tournament is worth the effort. She looks about her in the barn at the other contestants. One day through and already there are many beds empty.

The men of the team are restless for a very different reason. As they stretch and yawn in the dark trying to get comfortable, they can hear a hissing in one of the nearby bunks. The workhouse is still shared with the men who had previously fought with you. Now rather than intermingling, they have moved your group to the back of the cabin. Half asleep, you feel a force trying to affect you. ** spoiler omitted **

Is that everyone that's hearing that?


everyone except Edelle, as she is not in the bunk house.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Alric asks about what it's like to be a wyvern, especially about flying. But eventually he turns to the night they met previously.

draconic:
I apologize for not aiding properly at the time.


Draconic:
Flying? It is like walking with your body open. You feel all that surrounds you and each part moves together. It is like breathing in the world.

The wyvern pauses for a moment when you apologize, thinking. It then slinks back into the barn and does not return.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold addresses the group:

What relation is the child to you all?


The morning comes. Many of you contemplating what to do about your current situation. Finally, after a breakfast meal, the next event begins. Edelle watches as the remaining contestants use different strategies to down the steer. One man uses a simple spell to stop the cow in its tracks. Roughrider follows the more traditional route: spur the horse to catch up, quick dismount, grapple the cow at the end of a diving charge, then pin it with the rope provided. Another contestant refuses a horse entirely and breaks a magic tile before beginning, he runs right up to the steer at twice speed on foot.

The rest of the group discusses what to do about the child as they are put to work again in the morning. Some goods have been brought in by a tribe of savages led by a half-elf interestingly enough. The mixed-race chieftain is eyeing up your group oddly, as though he has seen you before.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Quietly speaking Alric seems a bit agitated.
Look, we either put steel to 'em, or just forget it. We got bigger concerns than that brat.


raging-->hp -/- non raging-->62/62

The half-elf dismounts and says something to one of the members of his tribes, who appear to be a combination of orcs, half-orcs, and humans mostly. He appears to be about 6'5 or 6'6, and not lacking of muscle going by his arms and legs, while his torso is hidden by clothing made of fur. He heads over to the group...

"Hello, I know you don't know who I am, but I have seen all of you before in strange visions. I was just telling Oregial, the young man still mounted on his horse that you are the people I saw. To put it bluntly I wish to join your quest. My tribe is not happy about this, but I am leaving them in capable hands. I don't expect for you to trust me fully just yet, but I am willing to prove myself."

After a short pause he then says. "Oh by the way, my name is Guthar."


Btw: Happy belated anniversary team! One year ago(+4 days) we started this pbp. A big thanks especially to Casvian/Guthar and Alric for being there right from the beginning and sticking with me.


raging-->hp -/- non raging-->62/62

It does not seem like it has been that long. Time passes by quickly. Thanks for the story.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Alric wrote:

Quietly speaking Alric seems a bit agitated.

Look, we either put steel to 'em, or just forget it. We got bigger concerns than that brat.

"That's a little callous don't you think? Every life is a life worth saving."


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

We are pretty sure they aren't directly involved in our business. So frankly, I care a little more about the destiny of existence than a single unneeded rescue. While i would like some payback, I don't care about them cheating their way through the rodeo. They let the kid go at the end, and if they don't then tough. We should follow that lead you mentioned. If Roughrider sees smoke, we can guess who started the fire.


raging-->hp -/- non raging-->62/62

Guthar stands by listening to the conversation before he interjects.

"Would you like for me to talk to them for you? I am pretty good at negoiating. What do they want anyway?"

At this point Guthar does not even know who "they" are.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

i could care less about any child. Callous it may be, but he is not my concern.


Edelle, how would you like to go about the steer wrestling? Some examples are given above. The objective is to pin the animal in as short a time as possible without actually hurting it.


Female Human Monk 7

I'm just trying to figure out if I need the horse, the only way I'm slower than a horse currently is that I don't have run, but I can make up for that with a point of ki taking me to 70' which is faster than a horse.
So I'm thinking I put the rope over my shoulder, run at the steer and grapple it until I have it tied up. I hope it's CMD is pretty bad


Sounds like a plan. roll a grapple check at the end of a charge, and a second to pin. Feel free to use the rope as a touch attack as well, but it's not necessary.


Female Human Monk 7

Grapple: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Pin: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

1,351 to 1,400 of 1,704 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In Darkest Times All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.