Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

In Darkest Times (Inactive)

Game Master Magnu123

In short, this homebrew was intended for beginner GM's. The story contains a variety of elements in sequence that gradually go through different terrains, battle situations, and other challenges to allow a DM to become familiar with the rules.


1,151 to 1,200 of 1,704 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>

Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Holding his rapier outward in a readied position and speaks loudly, enunciating with a very annoyed tone"Someone who is getting tired of nefarious spellcasters so if you're here to make an attempt on our lives please try so that I may strike you down, if you bear us no ill will Thervold then I wish you good day and ask that you continue on your way."


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

A small, little smirk appears on Thervold's mouth. He speaks in an exaggerated voice:

Oh you are welcome for my assistance. No reward needed, please stop trying to offer me one!

He waves his hand in a wide arc outwards towards the horizon and the smirk turns into a sneer.

If you do me the very small, very small, honour of pointing me towards the locals "ro-de-o", I would appreciate it. I have urgent business there.

Thervold half-ignores the party and looks back towards the small lake and wonders how hard it might be to get the coins within it, or if there are enough to even make it worthwhile.


Thervold counts 15 GP sitting at the bottom of the pool, and he thinks he also sees a small ring of keys mixed into the mire.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Thervold Windwalker wrote:

A small, little smirk appears on Thervold's mouth. He speaks in an exaggerated voice:

Oh you are welcome for my assistance. No reward needed, please stop trying to offer me one!

Returning the favor Teriwyth twirls the rapier in a flourish till it comes to rest behind him, he begins speaking in an overly dignified manner with a very snooty expression on his face "Indeed? I should think not my good man. I believe that you should in fact be compensating us for the privilege of assisting ones such as ourselves."

As the attention of this random spellcaster becomes occupied by the strange pool with the monster inside Teriwyth sheaths his rapier with a bit more oomph than necessary creating a very audible click as it slides home in order to grab the man's attention As for this Ro-De-O as you so eloquently put it, we're heading there ourselves, and barring the appearance of yet another stranger on the road we should make it there soon."

Italics denotes sarcasm


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Compensating you for the privilege of assisting you? Thervold's right eyebrow raises.

Tell you what, if your group wouldn't mind, I would appreciate a bit of company to the event. The wilds here are not exactly safe. Mind you, I have no issues defending myself. I will even give you a few gold for your time. One moment...

With that, Thervold quickly strips off all his clothing and dives naked into the pool to retrieve the gold and keys.


still here. Just watching what happens with this exchange.
Thervold plunges into the small pool and quickly gathers up the scraps of metal on the bottom of the pool. Included among the coins is a large round coin with the insginia of a dragon on it.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Dripping, Thervold pulls himself out of the pool. He dries himself quickly and starts dressing.

Here, a couple of gold for your trouble he says flipping a couple of coins towards Teriwyth. Come, let us be friends! It would be considered sociable where I come from for you to offer your names to me. Have no fear, I won't cast any love, mind control or
nudity spells on you with that information.

Thervold pockets the rest of the gold and looks closer at the dragon coin and keys.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Teriwyth plucks the coin out of the air and shrugs, dropping the mannerisms. "Sounds good to me, to be honest the Pompus Nobleman was my father, I've tried to distance myself from that part of my legacy, but when around similar company that part of my life rears it's ugly head and I can't seem to help myself. Forgive my rudeness."

Teriwyth motions towards his friends "These are my companions, Edelle, Alric, and Casvian. We had another with us but he seems to have parted ways at the last town. We are indeed heading for the Wyvern Rodeo and you may accompany us if you so choose."

Teriwyth clears his throat and adopts a somber tone before continuing "I would like to clarify one thing however, though I was jesting before the sentiment was quite serious. If you're intentions aren't good I suggest you continue right on your way, if not you're welcome to join us. Provided any of my friends has no problem with it."


objections anyone to Thervold joining the group?


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

No issues from me.


Female Human Monk 7

Welcome stranger, I'm sure you wont be known as a stranger for long

Now let us get some kip


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

shrug


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Greetings to you all. I promise you that I have no ill intent. I merely am on a mission for my King -- a mission that I am eager to do and complete and return home.

Thervold casts a detect magic spell at the dragon coin and winks at the group. Never can be too careful now, can you?


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2
Thervold Windwalker wrote:
I merely am on a mission for my King

Alric's eyes suddenly narrow suspiciously. You don't say. And what King would that be?


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

King Requhist Poliver Maliven the 4th. Lord of the High Country, Defender of the Faith and Seer of The Enchanted Realms. I am sure you have heard of
Him even this far across the seas? He's tasked me with finding the truth about these rumours of the "end times" that have spread across the lands. Honestly, I still find the whole notion ridiculous but people believe what they want to believe.

Thervold gathers up his backpack and places it over his shoulders. I am off to meet a group of adventurers at the rodeo who are apparently on the same mission.


Your group gathers around the campfire as the night closes in. The warmth and glow of the coals warms the souls of these comrades as they introduce each other. Casvian thinks that his vision may be coming back. There is a faint glimmer of light as he stares blankly toward the fire. Troy has already fallen asleep by the fireside. Apparently the excitement of the day has worn him out.
Thervold detects no innate magical properties on the coin.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Casvian sees for about a half second, and yells "My eyes". He then appears to be disappointed. "I thought my vision had returned, but I guess not. It does seem like it won't be much longer."

"Sorry for the interruption"

He then begins to think to himself. "This new guy sure does like to talk."


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Teriwyth begins trancing.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

You know, destiny has a tendency to find you, even if you choose to ignore it. And as always, rumors are grown around a grain of truth.


Female Human Monk 7

Yes, but the grain of truth can be very hard to find until it is too late


Teriwynth stokes the fire as the conversation continues. It is getting late, but the moon overhead is pleasant and the night is without wind. You believe that you are just over one more day's ride from the rodeo grounds. Surely it couldn't hurt to stay up a bit longer.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

So go to sleep, wake up the next day and then head for the rodeo.


Your group awakens a bit later than planned and heads out. They make up time easily as the weather is pleasant and the road is well travelled. They camp one more night without incident, and Casvian begins to see blurry images around him with some consistency. As they arrive the next morning, they are greeted by numerous tents and wagons set up, campfires, and many people milling about a large solidly built house nearby to a larger red barn and an arena with grand stands to the north. The atmosphere is that somewhere between a fair ground and an athletic competition. Those of you with knowledge of the area may recognize some of the movers and shakers present in the crowd, or you may choose to just explore at your leisure.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold looks around the crowd wondering how he will ever find the group of adventurers looking for Kronos. He begins whistling a tune, badly, glancing around the area.

How quaint - a rodeo. I suppose this is what passes for entertainment in these parts. Back in the High Country we have multi-day meditation festivals where the crowds gather to watch contestants transcend the material world. Now that's entertainment! he says, slapping Casvian on the back, jolting him.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Teriwyth is going to mingle.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Alric whispers to Edelle in Elvish, but not quite quietly enough to avoid being overheard by Thervold
Do you think that Thervold is the one were after? It'd be just like Kronos to send a spy. Plus he's a royalist, so that's suspect right there.


Teriwynth comes across many different tents as he wanders. His new familiar whispers in his ear about a strong sense of unity with another creature nearby. Perhaps another celestial? He is uncertain, but he leads you toward a simple tent with a lone dwarf and a beautiful arabian horse. Upon first glance, he appears to be brushing the horse's flanks, but after your eyes adjust to the light, you realize that it is not fur being pulled away but feathers. The beast shakes its wings for a moment and you realize that this is a roan coloured pegasus that the dwarf is tending to. There is a collection of small children watching from a distance, and Troy has joined this group, boisterously leading them with made up facts about his knowledge of the rodeo.


"This is the one" Feliss tells you. The dwarf turns for a moment. His face's deep concentration on his work lifts as he sees the children in the afternoon light. He gestures for them to come closer and watch. He looks at Teriwynth, standing above the swarm of children who push past him. " Come on in, friend. " from the golden-eyed man.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Teriwyth will move between the children, scooting past to make introductions. "Greetings, it seems as though your companion has garnered quite a bit of attention" he says gesturing to the children. With a slight nod he says "I am known as Teriwyth and this is my friend Feliss."


"Rufus F. RedHammer III, at your service, but most people here refer to me as simply Roughrider. I suppose you're here to watch? Is this your first Wyvern rodeo? I don't recognize you from years past. " The dwarf converses casually as he moves about the tent and tends to his companion. He seems unphased by your familiar.


Female Human Monk 7

@Alric Wah?!?!?

Draconic and Terran will work, but not Elven.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Ahh, sorry switching to draconic, Alric repeats his concerns


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

"Indeed, I have not even heard of the Wyvern Rodeo before it came to our town. I must admit I was thoroughly worried for our town's safety when one of the local boys came running into the bar yelling that there were some people fighting dragons just down the road. You can't imagine my relief that it was just Wyverns that they were dealing with."


[b"]Fighting the Wyvern? " [/b] Roughrider pauses for a moment and then puts his brushes and tools down. "Would you mind coming with me, mr. Teriwynth was it? I am afraid we might have some trouble. There should be no-one fighting the Wyvern outside of the arena. Do you think you could describe the people you saw? "


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

"Wyverns, aren't those things dangerous"?
Casvian does not know much about them, but he has heard they are mean. Maybe there reputation has been exaggerated, but the does not consider the idea of fighting them for sport a good idea.


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold grabs Alric's shoulder and speaks to him in perfect Elven. What do you know of this Kronos? I have need to find him.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I see I got confused. I am with the main group. :)


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2
Thervold Windwalker wrote:
Thervold grabs Alric's shoulder and speaks to him in perfect Elven. What do you know of this Kronos? I have need to find him.

Pulling the party away from the crowd, Alric whispers to Thervold in Elven, So, you really don't know? But I suppose if you were sent by the enemy, you would not have approached me so candidly, and we would be having a battle in the streets by now.

There are two powerful wizards named Kronos, one means to destroy the world, and the other to preserve it.


Casvian is fairly certain that most non-humanoids are dangerous and not part of mainstream society. Fighting these creatures for sport is not unheard of, but they are usually trained performing animals rather than wild ones.

Edelle, Alric, and Thervold continue their private conversation as they pass to the back of the tents. They seem to be fairly safe speaking in Elven in any case. On their far side is open field mid harvest. Skeletal figures can be seen hacking at the grain and carrying it in unendingly.

Once the pegasus is tied and the children are escorted out of the tent,
Roughrider leads Teriwynth toward the large main house and up on the patio. He knocks loudly on the doorframe and calls up "Mama D, Are you by? " After a few moments, a plump middle-aged woman comes to the door. She seems to be the epitome of motherly figures. "Why Rufus, it's good to see you again! Do come in. Who's your friend here? "
The three enter the building and the men sit at the table as Mama D rushes off to start a kettle boiling. Roughrider explains the situation and Mama D listens as Teriwynth tries to describe the men as he remembers them. Intelligence check please.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Magnu123 wrote:
[b"]Fighting the Wyvern? " [/b] Roughrider pauses for a moment and then puts his brushes and tools down. "Would you mind coming with me, mr. Teriwynth was it? I am afraid we might have some trouble. There should be no-one fighting the Wyvern outside of the arena. Do you think you could describe the people you saw? "

"Oh no, forgive me for not being clear, it was indeed a man handling a Wyvern as one would a bull. The boy simply did not understand the difference between the two."


"Indeed? I would still like a description of these men, if you please. " Roughrider gestures you over to a small desk with a chair. He takes out a piece of parchment and an ornate fountain pen from a bag hanging nearby.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

"Very well" Teriwyth proceeds to describe them to the best of his ability.


Edelle points out that this region has fallen into a sort of reckless apathy with the threat of the end-times. People are willing to take risks that would otherwise be considered stupid, such as wrestling dragonkin. She also remembers hearing about a famous animal handler who they claim can calm any creature with a word.

Teriwynth tries his best to describe the men, but it has been a few days, and he never got a very good look in the darkness of the storm. The dwarf listens intently and takes notes intently. "Thank you sir for your help. I hope that this does not amount to anything, but it is important to be certain that the game's rules are followed. No one is permitted to be riding the Wyvern outside of the arena. "


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold smiles at Alric. Oh I met the elder Kronos and I believe you are the group of people he sent me to meet. As for 'destroying the world', this world has been here long before us and it will continue to be here long after us. It is not a fragile stone that cracks easily. Having said that, I've been tasked by my King at finding out more about the 'end times' and that's what I intend to do.

Why are we here at this rodeo? How is this getting us closer to Kronos?


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

The world is less solid than people might like. Kings like to pretend things are eternal, t' make it plausible when they say that they should be bossing ya around for ever. But I tell you, that the world has already begun to break.

Alric pauses a moment to consider.

We cannot truly escape fate it seems, if the very world can be cracked, it can die. Perhaps our efforts are futile, and we are clawing at dust, but at least we can meat our destiny with all of our strength. Iv'e known it was my fate to fight in this battle, so that is what I'll do.

To that end, there is a servant of the enemy somewhere in the area. If we can find who, we will have something to work on.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Casvian interjects "It is strange that we have all been pulled together like this, that if Kronos's minions had not tried to take some of us prisoner we would never have met. Now we stand united against him. I surely believe he will be his own undoing."


As the rest of the group continues their private conversation, Roughrider thanks Teriwynth for his cooperation and asks him where he will be lodging tonight.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

"I'm not entirely sure, I think we'll be staying in one of the permanent establishments they have here. Though it would be no trouble to camp out under the stars, we've done so before."


Male Human Arcane Sorcerer 7

Thervold amuses himself by casting Mage Hand at a nearby rock, rolling it around the ground in a figure 8. He begins to think about getting some food and wondering what inns might be about and the size and comfort of their beds.


Your group wraps up its conversation for the time being and reunites with Teriwynth as you seek a place to stay. Asking around, it appears that most people have come prepared with their own tents or other accomodation plans. One woman suggests that there are a few people staying in the bunk-houses where the ranch hands sleep. You can find out about staying there by speaking to Mama D in the main house. You also have the option of sleeping out under the stars, or asking some other visitors if they have room to house you.

1,151 to 1,200 of 1,704 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In Darkest Times All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.