Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

In Darkest Times (Inactive)

Game Master Magnu123

In short, this homebrew was intended for beginner GM's. The story contains a variety of elements in sequence that gradually go through different terrains, battle situations, and other challenges to allow a DM to become familiar with the rules.


751 to 800 of 1,704 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

Teriwynth:
I'll let you describe it as you understand it. It's part art part science, so you're entitled to your unique perspective. If something is absolutely unworkable, I'll let you know.

Your group leaves the temple with negative emotions. Unfortunately the townsfolk are on edge as of late and you did not find the welcome you could have hoped for. Indeed, you now have more questions than answers.

As you move through the town, you come back across the animals knocked out before. You see that some of them still breathe quickly as though in a fever. You find different states of life in them. One might not pull through, one seems like it's going to be tearing at necks at any moment. Two have already passed.

The town is quiet and it's early afternoon. You look in a window and see a calendar. It has been thirty days now exactly since your group was captured.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6
Magnu123 wrote:
The girl shrieks and hides behind her mother. Edelle's voice sounds more menacing than she had intended. She drops an fetish from the drow temple from her pack onto the ground. The small plate depicts horrible acts commited upon the young. The woman picks up the child quickly and moves into the back chamber of the church. A few moments pass and agitated mumbling can be heard from deeper into the temple. After a few moments, the priest comes out into the main chamber again, with a grimace on his face. He addresses your group in a harsh tone. His voice is deepened with an almost divine force behind it. "You and your group. Leave this place. Now! We'll take our chances with the wild beasts than with your kind. So, a new tactic by the drow is it? Disguises? magic? It does not matter. We shall resist you! " The priest reveals a heavy crossbow in his hand, and you note a morningstar on his belt loop. You have, evidently, outstayed your welcome.

More than happy to leave the place. Casvian says "bye", and leaves thinking that the fighting for or with(along side) such people will only get him killed anyway.


male Halfling rogue 6

Not the friendliest bunch of folks i've ever met. I wonder if there is a place for us to stay at in town that doesn't have such suspicious folks. I would say we should try and either kill or track this beast they talk of. Maybe their is a reward even?

looking around at the empty street Sumatek keeps his weapons out and ready. perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

anyone else have any ideas?


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

"I say we look for the beast also."
Perception to find strange tracks: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27
If I find them survival:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Female Human Monk 7

Lets investigate these weird dogs a bit. They are likely to be a link to who or what is causing all this.
Perception, taking time inspecting the dogs: 20 + 13 = 33
Knowledge, Local, also taking lots of time mulling what I see on the dogs: 20 + 9 = 29 - Is there any link to a local feature I can notice on the dogs.
Maybe if we revive a dog and then track where it goes it'll give us some idea what is going on?


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

Teriwyth gazes about, mumbling softly as he attempts to discern any magical auras in the immediate vicinity.

Detect Magic, Specifically on the dogs, First is what's being done to them magical in nature? Second are there any lingering traces of magic nearby.


Casvian and Sumatek examine the ground for tracks while Edelle and Teriwynth perform on the spot autopsy on the dogs.

The two trackers find only tracks of normal humans or animals. No hybrid footprints to be seen. They do however notice that the majority of animal tracks lead away from town in the same direction. The animals were moving west towards the mountain ranges.

Our scientists in the group look over the canines. Teriwynth detects a moderately powerful effect upon the dogs. He does not find any lingering auras in the surrounding areas. K(arcana) to identify the school of magic


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

"I suggest we follow those tracks as soon as investigations here are completed."


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Magnu123 wrote:
K(arcana) to identify the school of magic

Knowledge: Arcana1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28


Female Human Monk 7

Casvian, I suspect that the natural animal tracks you found are probably running away from the source of this problem, not too it


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6
Edelle Flexhorn wrote:
Casvian, I suspect that the natural animal tracks you found are probably running away from the source of this problem, not too it

My optimism made me think they were the dogs(?). After reading it again I see I was mistaken.


male Halfling rogue 6

I would have to agree with Casvian on the tracks. Besides that it is at least a direction to start in for tracking down what is ging on around here. Even if we find nothing it still means one less place to look.

Sumatek pauses and looks in the direction from where the tracks had come

Maybe if we wait till nightfall we may get a shot at actually seeing the beast and tracking it as well. We could start at the opposite side of town from where these tracks are going also to maybe test your theory as well edelle. That could very well be the side of town it comes in on this evening.


Teriwynth recognizes the school of transmutation present in the dogs' bodies, but it's quite a unique strain of the magic. Normally he would have expected some sort of enhancement subschool to be augmenting the dogs this way, but instead they appear to be affected by temporal magic, like that of a haste spell or time stop. Most curious indeed.

Does the group want to follow Sumatek's plan to wait until nightfall and fan out from the east to the west?


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

That works for me. My character would think the manbeast will return to town eventually anyway


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

If we wait till night, we can secure food and shelter. A place to come back to will be nice if we are doing any extended work.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6
Alric wrote:
If we wait till night, we can secure food and shelter. A place to come back to will be nice if we are doing any extended work.

"I agree."


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Magnu123 wrote:
Teriwynth recognizes the school of transmutation present in the dogs' bodies, but it's quite a unique strain of the magic. Normally he would have expected some sort of enhancement subschool to be augmenting the dogs this way, but instead they appear to be affected by temporal magic, like that of a haste spell or time stop. Most curious indeed.

Alric:
Teriwyth gets Alric's attention and motions for him to join him down by the creatures. "Are you still interested in learning more about magic?"
Alric wrote:
If we wait till night, we can secure food and shelter. A place to come back to will be nice if we are doing any extended work.

"Indeed"


Teriwynth calls Alric over to the dogs while Edelle confers with the other two. They decide to canvas the town twice; Once to find a good base of operations and once to hunt the creature.

Teriwynth, go ahead with your lesson in spoilers, we'll keep the plot moving forward while you and Alric discuss retroactively.

You find a handful of houses with people still inside. Most are averse to coming to the door, but some answer. Of these, even less are inclined to open their doors to strangers. You also note that one in particular on the west end of town looks to be well abandoned and reasonably fortified and visible to boot. A perfect base of operations if you can unlock the door. The building is apparently a tavern undergoing renovations. Some alcohol is to be seen behind the barred windows. The second floor is an open patio, providing an expansive view of the town. This is the call to replace Winston's now that it has been shut down.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Teriwyth:
Alric nods in confirmation.
I know a bit about the idea of magic. Its how I found out that my powers came from Dragon ancestry. But actual practice... He trails off uncertainly.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Alric wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Alric:
"Actual practice will come later but for now I'd like to start with the basics, Magical Theory and Application."

Teriwyth crouches before the dogs, indicating with his fingers several inches above the dogs something not visible to the naked eye.

"Do you have the ability to see magical auras?"

Assuming yes.

"Look here, do you see the pattern in it's aura? How the currents swirl around these creatures. This indicates a type of temporal magic which is strange considering the circumstances, normally one of the more direct schools such as transmutation or enchantment would be behind something like crazed dogs."

Magnu123 wrote:
A perfect base of operations if you can unlock the door.

Assuming we do get in Teriwyth will inspect 2nd floor windows, scoping out line of sights and the best places to set up.

This is still the same day as the dog attack right? Oh, and I've never got a chance to use this before, did the dogs have anything on them? perhaps a collar or shreds of whats left of it?


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Teriwyth:
Alric can indeed Detect Magic. He is watching intently, and his usual Brash demeanor seems to have fallen away


male Halfling rogue 6

Sumatek sees the spirits behind the barred window and attempts to open the door. A good stiff drink is on the menu for me lets see what is inside of this place. I'll need to find me some new tools soon but i should be able to get this without em.
search for traps
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16
disable device w/o tools
1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18


Sumatek fails to get the lock loose with his improvised lockpick. He also notes a mechanism around the doorframe which, for a moment looks to be a trap. He only notices this after working the lock for a moment. Nothing has yet happened.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Alric wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Alric:
Standing he says "It would probably be best to familiarize you with the schools of magic, how to recognize and distinguish them...but ah yes, we're on the job as it were, another time perhaps."

Female Human Monk 7

before I saw some posts:
This place looks reasonably defend-able. Should we set up a few rooms as ambushes and safe retreat paths?

Lets try the 2nd floor patio
Edelle looks for a way up and jumps up, then looks around for a way in/hidden threats.
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Teriwinth:
The dogs don't seem to be faster or slower than normal. What aspect of time could cause this? I can't find the write-up for Information Osmosis. Is that what youre going to try


Edelle finds a ladder nearby. As this is a construction site, it is readily available. Once set up the group make their way up the ladder and into the building. It is in a state before completion where some parts look to be completely finished while others sit out of place in their disassembled state. It is like looking into the future to see the organized product surrounded by the formative chaos that is necessary for its creation. You are able to set up in the back room, with reasonable access to both the bar and the upper level.
Information osmosis was in the PC guide for this homebrew. That's why you can't find it, I imagine. If you are taking shifts at watch, I'll need the order, length of shifts, and some perception rolls.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

So was there anything that could be used as a target for information osmosis?

Alric:
"This has me baffles as well. Perhaps if we had enough time to throughly investigate the bodies we'd be able to determine exactly what kind of magic was affecting them but if I was to hazzard a guess perhaps they were infested with a mind affecting disease of some kind, rabies or something of the sort and kept alive while maintaining that state of hyper-aggression."

watch suggestion:
For the watches, perhaps break into groups rather than solo?

There's 5 of us right? We could do something like

6:00 PM Watcher 1 & Watcher 2
7:00 PM Watcher 1 & Watcher 2
8:00 PM Watcher 1 & Watcher 3
9:00 PM Watcher 1 & Watcher 3
10:00 PM Watcher 3 & Watcher 4
11:00 PM Watcher 3 & Watcher 4
12:00 AM Watcher 4 & Watcher 5
1:00 AM Watcher 4 & Watcher 5
2:00 AM Watcher 5 & Watcher 2
3:00 AM Watcher 5 & Watcher 2
4:00 AM Watcher 1 & Watcher 2
5:00 AM Watcher 1 & Watcher 2
6:00 AM Everyone

In this way at everyone does at least 4 hours at the helm with 2 people watching at any one time and at least one person relatively well rested.

It's just who wants what shifts. I'm thinking that the casters should take one of the later watches so they can get their sleep in and refresh spells unless we get jumped at night.

Watcher 1: empty
Watcher 2: empty
Watcher 3: empty
Watcher 4: empty
Watcher 5: empty


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

@Teriwyth THE BOOK IN THE COFFIN! you can read it from the outside.

Alric has not cast any spells. He could save them, or cast some long term mage armors then recover. If the rod of Extend spell will reset over the rest, Mage armour could last for 12 hours.

continued discussion:
You were bitten. You may be infected.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Alric wrote:
@Teriwyth THE BOOK IN THE COFFIN! you can read it from the outside.

lol, too bad he kinda hates us now

Alric:
"Hmm...that does pose an interesting problem if that theory was correct wouldn't it?"


Female Human Monk 7

Your schedule only give 6 hours rest each, not enough for the castys I believe. But I would be happy to receive a mage armor extended if we are burning a couple of unused spell slots before bed :)

I'm happy to take the middle shift, W3.
Perception for my shift: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


I was laughing to myself the whole time that you guys were debating with the priest. The spell is literally designed for this purpose. Oh well, it'll be a little more difficult now. Nothing wrong with a challenge.


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

I think the this place is good for a base for now.


male Halfling rogue 6

After pourng a small glass of something from the bar Sumatek will clean his weapons and look over his recently acquired hand crossbow.

He retreaves a vial of the Drow poison and uses some on 3 of his bolts.
5%chance to posion myself, also not sure how many applications are in each vial. 1d100 ⇒ 29 1d100 ⇒ 66 1d100 ⇒ 49 after loading 1 bolt into the hand crossbow he joins into the watch conversation

I can take a watch from 12am to 6am so the caster folks can be at full strength. watcher 5 i believe I will set up in the balcony above to get a good view of the area. If someone would like to join me that is fine, I will be awake the entire time, i cant sleep well during those hours for some reason.

Sumatek moves around the house and looks for something that he could make pass for a set of tools for himself perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20 and then checks the balcony out to see his viewing lines of sight.perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

He moves over to a corner and unrolls his bedroll, eats a trail ration and prepares to go to sleep early.

watch rolls:

i will make a walk through of the lower level and the upper level every 15 min during my watch time as well as staying stealthed as much as possible
perception rolls per hour/stealth rolls per hour
11d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28 / 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24
21d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13 / 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (1) + 17 = 18
31d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14 / 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24
41d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20 / 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (6) + 17 = 23
51d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15 / 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37
61d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26 / 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6

I guess that does pose a problem doesn't it? I guess you could have some of the other people double up, alternating between those that can't cast spells so we can recharge? sng before I rest though, pick one of the more assuming objects in the house, like a chandelier or something like that where it was in the open and had a clear view of it's surroundings and cast information osmosis.

"Sleep well my companions..."

Teriwyth stretches on the bedroll and gets comfortable, curling up he drifts off to sleepy time.


Male Half Elf Fighter 1/Sorceror 4/Dragon Disciple 2

Having trouble sleeping, Alric volunteers for first shift, till 10.
He spends time exploring the place, even using the ladder to check the roof from the balcony. Also casting Extended Mage Armor on himself and Edelle.

Perception
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

My spells never got used up so I will take a normal shift if needed.


During the first night, your time passes peacefully. The town is quiet. Edelle thinks that she hears some wolves in the distance out of town, but it is carried on the wind and distorted. It could just as easily be the meugle of cattle.

When the morning comes, someone comes to the door of the tavern and unlocks it with his key. He appears angry, but has control of his temper. Still there is a tension in the air that is uneasy. "And what do you think you're doing in my tavern?" He says, arms crossed, looking down his nose at you. This man is an elf, and he betrays his races age old sense of superiority in his stance.


male Halfling rogue 6

Sumatek steps forward and approaches the man.
with a slight bow to the elf

elvish:

Good morning friend we had come into town yesterday and had some trouble with some of these wild beasts that have been roving the area. We found this place to be defendable and safe for the evening. We havent taken anything and everything should be relatively were you left it. My name is Sumatek Auksu. Named from the ranger elf Auksu that raised me in these forests near here.

Are you repairing this place because of recent damages or renovating it for use again as a tavern? If so could we maybe lend a hand working for a safe place to stay for a while.
diplomacy 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16


Not one to pass up an opportunity for free labour, the elf man agrees to Sumatek's suggestion. You may use this location as long as you put in a reasonable amount of work each day toward construction. He tells you that, yes he was renovating the building into a business, hoping to turn a profit, but with winter coming soon and the recent events surrounding both the animals and the dark elves, progress has been slow. It's been nearly impossible to get workers consistently focused on the project. "Now be warned, the beasts wandering around aren't to be taken lightly. They slaughtered some goats last night in a farmyard a ways east of town. Bloody mess it left too. "


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Sumatek Auksu wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Teriwyth spares a glance at Sumatek but quickly resumes looking at the supposed owner.

Totally speak elven :)


male Halfling rogue 6

How long have the beasts been attacking and did any strange natural events occur when it started?


"I suppose it's been about three weeks since any actual attacks started, but the animals seemed spooked for a little while before that, maybe a few chickens and such went missing. There is nothing I can think of that would have been a triggering event though. It was shortly after the last drow raid, for what it's worth, but those seem to run like clockwork. "


Female Human Monk 7

We should probably look into who was taken from where, it could give us some clues . . .


male Halfling rogue 6

Sumatek gets to work moving around some things and geting things in order or so he thinks lol To help the man.

Do you have any skilled workers that are here doing this or are we going to be the only ones here? I personally dont have a clue when it comes to building things but I am always ready to pick up a valuable skill. And your name I didn't catch that ?


"Roden, nice to meet you folks. I like your attitude, Sumatek. As I said before, it's been hard to keep a steady crew with the attacks, but if you think you're brave enough to be out in the open and that I'm not taking any liability, I'll pay you appropriately. I can get you started on some tasks this morning and guide you if you need any help. Does anyone in your group have experience in construction? "


Male Human 59/66 hp Ranger(guide variant) 6

Casvian pulls out a wand as others are talking:
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (1, 5) + 3 = 9
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

"Does anyone else need to be healed. We might face a larger pack of those dog things next time."

I should have done this before:
knowledge nature to see if I can find more information on the dog creatures: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Wizard 6
Magnu123 wrote:
"Does anyone in your group have experience in construction? "

I wonder if you could build a house using the information gleaned from stories...

Bardic Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

"I may have picked up a thing or two in my travels, I may have an insight."


K (nature):
Casvian believes these are some sort of cross breed between rabid dogs and feral wolves, or at least that is the appearance.

K (engineering):
Teriwynth shows a surprising amount of intuition when it comes to the construction techniques. He is designated to help the others. during the building process.

You groups spends the day at the tavern making progress towards its completion. As the sun sets, Roden thanks you for your help and excuses himself to return to his home, moving quickly and cautiously in case of danger.


It is now the late afternoon of the 31st day of Year zero. Your group is free to act as they like.

751 to 800 of 1,704 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In Darkest Times All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.