Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Hymenopterix's Colonies of the Salt Coast

Game Master Electric Monk


1,651 to 1,700 of 3,397 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

Sorry for the dealy guys, sudden rush of birthdays and preparing for work to start again...

Jack:
No-one has any idea of what to do about the owlbear egg. The soldiers are not trained in animal husbandry being mostly city-born.

Xerafine:
The Lietenant can organise for the sextant to be repaired, but it will take approximately 4 days. - Restov will pay for these repairs.

Bein:
In your time with the guards they do warm to you somewhat (depending how long you're staying at the fort.) They gripe a bit about the Lieutenant making them work so hard but seem to respect him. Their gripes are no more than you have experienced with most soldiers, and a good deal less than some you have known.

Finnabar:
The fort seems to be effectively repaired and the Lietenant shows you around, including showing you the plans which he has drawn up. He seems very proud of these and answers all your questions. You get the impression that planning and surveying is his first love - its not unusual for budding engineers to enter the military since they have some of the best training in this field.

The men seem in generally good spirits, a bit bored with their work on the fort and annoyed that they're not permitted to chase the bandits down away from the road. The Fort now has a garrison of 15 cavalry soldiers. At any one time, during the day, 10 of these are on patrol (2 squads of five - one patroling the road in each direction from the fort whilst the remaining 5 guard the fort and work on the construction. These squads are rotated so that all the men take their turn buidling the fort and on patrol.

All:
Items you want to sell can be sold for 1/2 normal value. The Gold rod is worth 40gp and you can get full value for it. Oleg is unsure how to price the daggers but will give you 100gp each. - He seems unsure about their value.

Appraise DC 20:

The daggers are cold iron and of masterwork quality. Their rarity makes them valuable to a collector and, in the markets of Restov they would be worth up to 300gp each. To a collector in the western lands they might be worth more still.

17th Day of Pharast, Hex 10
The next day you wake to find Svetlana and Oleg busy cooking a meal for you - a cold dish of fruits, cheeses, bread, jam and tea. The soldiers seem to have already looked after themselves and the patrols have already left the fort for their patrols towards Restov and towards the Pitax and the River Kingdoms, whilst the remaining soldiers have begun work on the fortifications.

As you emerge from your rooms, Svetlana greets you warmly and sits you down to the meal. Once you are all seated Oleg and her join you and you have an opportunity to talk to them quietly (The Lieutenant is supervising some aspect of the construction.) At your enquiries they assure you that they're being treated well by the soldiers. They're not overjoyed at the trading post being turned into a fort, but are resigned to the situation - they do not own the complex afterall, but merely rent it from Restov and operate it under a charter from the Swordlords similar to your own.

Finally the Lietenant comes through the gates, fastening his light-blue uniform jacket around himslef. Glancing around, he comes over to join you.

"Well I hope you've had a pleasant night sleeping on proper beds for a change." he opens. "The man Volpe is still convalessing and I'll be sending him and some of my men to Restov in 2 days time. I appologise once again for being the barer of bad tidings, but I do assure you that he will be well treated, and hopefully that he will be exonerated with haste. The politics of dealing with Illisarn are complex at the moment but the Swordlords' justice will prevail i'm sure."

"But now, tell me of your plans. Are you to stay here until Coltello leaves for Restov or are you heading back out into the wilds?"


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

1d20 ⇒ 5

Bein ponders over the strange daggers and talks with the party about holding off on selling anything until they have more to sell, that way they aren't wasting Oleg's time in bringing paltry amounts of wares to market. It also would by them the time to appraise them more thoroughly.

He continues to try and fit in more securely with the guards, teaching them what little soldiering he knows and sword techniques he does as ways to train himself everyday. Especially the Calvary soldiers, as he was a horsemen himself. If time permitted he would join one of the patrols and ride as an extra man, if he was allowed he'd take his turn putting hand to mortar or tar in an attempt to help with the fort whenever he had extra time.

On the day they were possibly readying to leave Bein was standing near Finnabar and quietly awaiting his decision. His lordship had spoke of exploring the nearby land while they were still near Southern Fort and naturally he was in agreement. He nodded respectfully to Lieutenant Kesten as he approached.


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

Jack checks on Volpe in the morning and makes sure his friend is resting well before joining the others.

Responding to Bein as they go over the equipment to sell or trade, he says, "I agree about holding onto the daggers. Besides, if we can meet with a calm Pteran, perhaps they will consider them valuable trade goods." He pauses. "Unless there's something we need to urgently purchase that would be worth 200 gold." He pauses. "I can't think of anything, unless there are elixirs we could use for healing and the like. Otherwise, I think all we need for resupplying is food and maintenance."

When the lieutenant joins them, if no one else is quick to reply he says, "We must get our sextant fixed before we go far, but we were thinking we could explore the plains nearby without difficulty."


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

Xarafine rises before dawn, and prepares herself for the day, moving through her martial drill, then preparing herself for morning services. She sings her thanks to the Nine for the gift of a new day.

Perform (singing): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Not terribly pleased with her performance, she glances out among the attendees, hoping she doesn't see utter disappointment in their faces.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

As the party convenes to discuss plans, Xarafine listens to the opinions of each of her company. At Jack's mention of healing elixirs, she makes a mental note to inquire with Master Oleg and Mistress Lana as to whether they have any such items in stock.


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5
Jack Ciarathan wrote:

Jack checks on Volpe in the morning and makes sure his friend is resting well before joining the others.

Responding to Bein as they go over the equipment to sell or trade, he says, "I agree about holding onto the daggers. Besides, if we can meet with a calm Pteran, perhaps they will consider them valuable trade goods." He pauses. "Unless there's something we need to urgently purchase that would be worth 200 gold." He pauses. "I can't think of anything, unless there are elixirs we could use for healing and the like. Otherwise, I think all we need for resupplying is food and maintenance."

When the lieutenant joins them, if no one else is quick to reply he says, "We must get our sextant fixed before we go far, but we were thinking we could explore the plains nearby without difficulty."

Appraise for the daggers 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

"I agree as well, we need to get them examined by an expert on metals. In the mean time, we can sell the rod."

He then pauses to think about the elixir problem. "I think healing will be less of an issue now, if my dreams were true."

"No, don't laugh, I've had these strange dreams since we left the Pterans cave. I think I should be able to heal you like the Teacher."

As the Lieutenant comes, he abounds in Jack sense. "Indeed, it is time for use to get going. Once every one is done here, gather your gear, we leave in an hour."

our next direction will towards the south and hex 16


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

We currently have this much in free coinage if we need to put an order in for the whole party, or we can divide it as evenly as possible and order things individually~

Current Coinage: 670 GP 277 SP 432 CP

Bein doesn't laugh at what Finnabar say's, if he believed it then Bein believed it. "Aye Lord d'Orlovsky, I will have the horses ready within the hour." Bein gives a quick salute before turning on his heel and making his way to the stable to get the draught beasts and his destrier ready to travel. He was, however, torn between watching Volpe leave and bidding the old fencer farewell or avoiding losing himself once more as he watches a man. His Comrade. Escorted away to an unknown fate.

He believed firmly in law and order but the laws of Restov angered and infuriated him, a noble could cast judgement from so far away. When it should only be allowed to stand if such an accusation was brought in person, the way a man would challenge someone who wronged him in normal society. It blackened his thoughts because that was exactly how his parents were. Egotistical. Arrogant. Overblown with their own sense of empowerment because they were Noble's, societies elite, and that all should bow and scrape at their passing. May they be damned, I will take Jeanne away from that place and my grandfather as well. When I return there if they try and stop me I know not what I will do... I will decide when that day comes. For now the quest is all that matters.

Bein was fully armored and armed as he went about his tasks, it made things difficult but it was good practice.


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

If we've got that much, we may want to think about masterworking up armor or weapons we need at some point, but we can save that for another time.

Jack too was serious when he heard Finnabar's tale (but then, Jack was often serious). "I hope your dreams do come true indeed, then, Finnabar."

Jack follows behind Bein, offering help to gear up the horses.

Ready to go when everyone else is


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

It will take 2 hours to travel from Oleg's to Hex 16, and then (assuming nothing untoward happens) 1 day to fully explore the hex.

You ride out from the Trading Post heading east. The sounds of hammers working on the fort fade swiftly as you make your way into the grasslands that make up this area of the Stolen Lands. After 2 hours of travel you think that you're reaching the limits of the area that has already been mapped. The grass in this area grows long and sways gently in the warm breeze which blows from the east. As you travel the occassional small animal streaks away in the grass and birds of prey circle in above small game-trails that run through the grasses.

perception DC 15:

As you move through the grasslands you notice first one, and then a second bleached skeleton poking through the grass.


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5
Hymenopterix wrote:


It will take 2 hours to travel from Oleg's to Hex 16, and then (assuming nothing untoward happens) 1 day to fully explore the hex.

You ride out from the Trading Post heading east. The sounds of hammers working on the fort fade swiftly as you make your way into the grasslands that make up this area of the Stolen Lands. After 2 hours of travel you think that you're reaching the limits of the area that has already been mapped. The grass in this area grows long and sways gently in the warm breeze which blows from the east. As you travel the occassional small animal streaks away in the grass and birds of prey circle in above small game-trails that run through the grasses.

** spoiler omitted **

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

As the horses walk through the plains, a whitish reflect draws Finnabar's attention. "Halt.”, he says, holding his hand up. "There seems to be bones lying around. Let's have a look."

Finnabar guides the group to the skeletons.

"Jack and Xarafine, would you mind having a look ? I'll stay mounted in case there's trouble around."


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

"As you wish, Captain."

Xarafine moves over to where the bones are lying. She takes a moment to carefully examine them; trying to determine the species or race of the creature they belonged to, as well as how long the creature has been dead.

Healing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Bardic Knowledge: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

[ooc]Perception - I blame the heavy armor -.-;1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Bein followed Finnabar closely as he had failed to notice the skeletal remains. As the others searched the skeletons he dismounted and held the reins on their horses and keeping a stern eye out around them along with Finnabar.

While looking outward he opeed his visor so he could speak clearly. "Can we give them a decent burial Lord Finnabar?"


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10
Xarafine wrote:

"As you wish, Captain."

Xarafine moves over to where the bones are lying. She takes a moment to carefully examine them; trying to determine the species or race of the creature they belonged to, as well as how long the creature has been dead.

Healing: 1d20+7

Bardic Knowledge: 1d20+3

The two skeletons are of different creatures. One is of a medium-sized herbivore - similar to a Teppec but larger - about the size of a deer. The other is that of a larger-set animal which doesn't seem familier to you although, judging from its teeth, it was probably a herbivore too.

Both creatures have been dead for at least a couple of weeks (probably longer)and it is not obvious how either died.


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

"These bones are the remains of herd beasts; two different species. We should be wary of predators in the area."


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

Jack kneels beside Xarafine, looking over the creatures' skeletons carefully.

Any teeth marks on the bones? If possible, Jack will take 10 to examine the carcasses carefully--Perception is +9, Knowledge Nature and Heal are +6, whichever's appropriate


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10
Jack Ciarathan wrote:

Jack kneels beside Xarafine, looking over the creatures' skeletons carefully.

Any teeth marks on the bones? If possible, Jack will take 10 to examine the carcasses carefully--Perception is +9, Knowledge Nature and Heal are +6, whichever's appropriate

Given that you said you'd examine the skeletons carefully i'll call it a take 20 (Knowledge: Nature) = 26

Like Xerafine, you can't see any damage on the skeletons, however, it looks like neither was killed here. They were dragged from somewhere to the south - prbably not too far. Neither skeleton is completely bare. - Both have most of their flesh still covering the skeletons, they appear to have been almost mummified either by very hot, dry weather, or some other method. You have not experienced weather hot and dry enough to cause this since you entered the Stolen Lands.


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

"Strange," Jack says, "I've seen corpses like this in the desert--dried out by the heat. But I didn't think such weather would occur here." He shakes his head, then points at some marks underneath them. "They've also been dragged here, from that direction." He points toward the south.


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

"Shall I see what lies to the south Lord Finnabar?" Bein was still keeping an eye around them as the others examined the bones.


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5
Bein'Meleth Rámalóce wrote:
"Shall I see what lies to the south Lord Finnabar?" Bein was still keeping an eye around them as the others examined the bones.

"Well, that's what we're here for. Explore, secure and take down the bandits. So yes, let's go. Jack you're in front with Bein in support.", says Finnabar, hefting his shield and making sure both his axe and javelins are ready to come out if they are needed.


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Bein nodded and returned the reins to the others and climbed back into the saddle, Arundel would easily keep up with Jack's steed and Bein kept his lance at the ready in case they ran into trouble. With his lance pointed to the heavens and his helm secured, Bein was ready for battle.


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

Jack remounts and leads the way, making sure he stays aware of Bein on his flank, and the position of the others behind them.

He rides in the direction of the drag marks, staying alert for anything suspicious or odd.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

Xarafine falls in beside Finnabar, behind Jack and Bein.

"Why drag dessicated animal corpses all the way here...strange," she mutters to herself as she watches for danger on the flank of their small formation.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

You carefully move forward follwing the slight trail in the dirt. The grass is slightly sparser here, intersperced with larger dusty gaps. The scuff marks seem to lead towards one of these.

Jack, Xerafine and Perception DC 21:

In the centre of the dusty, grassless area you think you see a slightly circular shape. When you look more carefully (maintaining your distance) you think that it might form a concealed entrance.

see spoiler below.. if you make the check

ONLY if you make the Perception check AND a Knowledge: Nature check at DC 17:

This looks like the top of a trap-door spider's burrow, but very much bigger than usual.


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Bein kept both eyes open and watched around the group warily as he held his Lance at the ready in case something threatened the group.


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

With the sun right into his eyes, Finnabar squints at the ground without seing anything.


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Jack holds up his hand in a "halt" position. "Stop... that's.." His brow furrows deeply, puzzled but concerned about what he sees. "Ever seen a trapdoor spider? Their burrows look like that, but that's... huge."

Pause. "Perhaps the web spider in the ruins has a cousin..."


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

"If it is the lair of another monstrous spider, we should either seal this entrance or slay its occupant; lest the next dessicated corpse be one of our garrison. "


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Bein sets his lance in its holder and pulls out an unlit torch. "Its a burrower then? Perhaps it would be best to drive it out of its burrow and finish it in a ground fight. Lest it finds another way to escape entombment..." He set the torch across his saddle before pulling out a oil flask and his flint and steel.


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

How far away are we from the burrow?

"You make a good point, Teacher. Even if we just make it mad--better we than someone caught unawares." He draws his bow and an arrow, reining his horse back a few feet.


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Bein moves to the fore with his three items ready and his lance set in its holder. "If we can force it to meet us in a ground fight, we can wound it more easily. We should try and keep our distance, also I think it is best that we tie the mounts up somewhere nearby. I know that Arundel won't bolt at the sight of whatever lies beneath but we can't risk it spooking our horses or god forbid eating one of them."


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10
Jack Ciarathan wrote:
How far away are we from the burrow?

20'


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5
Bein'Meleth Rámalóce wrote:
Bein moves to the fore with his three items ready and his lance set in its holder. "If we can force it to meet us in a ground fight, we can wound it more easily. We should try and keep our distance, also I think it is best that we tie the mounts up somewhere nearby. I know that Arundel won't bolt at the sight of whatever lies beneath but we can't risk it spooking our horses or god forbid eating one of them."

"Good point, let's all move back and leave our horses. I will be up front to lure it out and I want you, Bein, to stay mounted on the left. Throw the oil on the door, I will light it. Then when it comes out, charge it to prevent it from moving back inside. Jack and Xarafine, use either range weapons or melee ones as you see fit."


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

"I'll tie up the horses." He offers to take the reins of Finnabar's horse and asks Xarafine to follow him to roughly 90 feet away from the burrow, trying them to whatever suitable he can find. If the party has adequate stakes they can stick in the ground that they can tie ropes, provided they'd hold if the horses would pull on them, that works too.


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

Xarafine goes with Jack to secure the horses, then returns, staying 30' away from the door.

"By the Nine, I hope I haven't counseled a course of action that will mean our deaths," she says quietly to herself.


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Bein looks to Xarafine and lifts his helm, looking her in the eye he smiles and says plainly. "If the fight turns for the worst, you must retreat. I will hold it as long as I can, do not hesitate. You three must accomplish this quest and I am sworn to defend you from harm at any cost. But today it will not be us who fall, no, again it will be this menace that hides in the earth." He nods to her and shuts his visor, taking hold of his oil flask, and wordlessly moves to get into position as instructed.


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

Bein, I'll need an attack roll. Xerafine has said she's 30' from the trapdoor. How far are the rest of you? How are you gaing to light it Finnabar? (possible attack roll necessary).


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Throw Oil 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 1 = 4

Blast

As the flask falls horribly short of the target Bein wheels Arundel around and waits to see if anything emerged from the trapdoor, he kept his hand close to his lance and waited for a moment.

If nothing emerges, I will throw my final flask.

Throw last Oil flask 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 + 1 = 16


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5
Hymenopterix wrote:
Bein, I'll need an attack roll. Xerafine has said she's 30' from the trapdoor. How far are the rest of you? How are you gaing to light it Finnabar? (possible attack roll necessary).

I'm going to use spark (oraison)

Finnabar walks by Xarafine and takes position 5 foot in front of her. When everyone is ready, he feels an urge to call for his patron.
"Belan, judge of battles, direct our arms and our strength in this coming battle"

In answer, a faint shimmering blue aura covers every one as all feel more focused and ready. Bless spell, +1 attack and save vs fear for 1 min

Then he motions Bein to throw the oil and gets ready to cast spark.


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

The oil cask flies towards the spider's nest, but its cord snags on a hummock of grass and it splashes open just in front of its target. Nothing happens for a moment but then, suddenly a huge spider, about 4 foot long, lifts the trapdoor and springs forward with startling speed to grab the now empty cask. The spider is now in the centre of the oil

We'll go with init order of:
Bein --> Spider --> Finnabar --> Xerafine or Jack (1st poster goes 1st)
there is no surprise round. Therefore, Finnabar is up...


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5
Hymenopterix wrote:

The oil cask flies towards the spider's nest, but its cord snags on a hummock of grass and it splashes open just in front of its target. Nothing happens for a moment but then, suddenly a huge spider, about 4 foot long, lifts the trapdoor and springs forward with startling speed to grab the now empty cask. The spider is now in the centre of the oil

We'll go with init order of:
Bein --> Spider --> Finnabar --> Xerafine or Jack (1st poster goes 1st)
there is no surprise round. Therefore, Finnabar is up...

As planned, Finnabar snaps his fingers towards the oil surrounding the creature. Casting spark, to ignite the oil

Then, as fast as his legs can carry him, he moves forwards, drawing his axe to reach the creature (providing a flanking option for Bein charge next round)


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Round 1, First Ini
Bein
AC:: 18 (20-2 charge)
HP:: 18/18

Arundel
AC::16 (18-2 charge)
HP::18/18

As the flames lick up underneath the massive arachnid, Bein takes hold of his Lance and uses what little distance he has to make a worthy charge. Arundel rears momentarily at the sight of the creature when it revealed itself but Bein's loyal destrier recovers and kicks into a swift gallop after bein tapped him in the ribs.

Charge attack 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 25
------->Damage 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (2, 7) + 6 = 15

Bein angled his lance as he came charging down on the spider and aimed at its bulbous mid section...


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

Xarafine picks up the rhythm of Arundel's and begins to sing in time with them inspire courage: +1 to attack, damage, and saves

"King of Spiders, thou may be. Thy Queen we hath laid low. Thy fangs and many legs be crushed beneath our mighty blows. Ne'er more shall thee feast on the blood of hapless passersby. Beware, oh beast of burrow deep, thy time has come to die!"


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

Jack is 50 feet away and is wielding with his bow

Jack watches as the fight begins, then carefully nocks and arrow and aims at the now-exposed creature.

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Damage 1d8 ⇒ 7


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Are we waiting on me? I didn't see a post for the spider yet >.>;


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

We need to the spider to go on round 1 before we hit top of the round.

On another note, I forgot to add the inspire courage bonuses to Jack's attack and damage.


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

Sorry - v. busy week. (weekend now though. Yay!)

Finnabar's spell starts the oil burning and it licks around the body of the huge arachnid. The spider seems to let out a scream as its carapace starts to melt.

oil damage (spider):
1d3 ⇒ 3

Flames dance across the surface of the oil lapping against the grass surrounding the clearing and highlighting the form of Finnabar as he moves forward. Suddenly Xerafine's voice reaches above the sound of the spider's 'screaming' just as Jack's arrow strikes its abdomen.

Immediately, Bein charges forward, his lance sinking into the creature's head and leaving it slumped, dead and still burning at the end of the spear. In the sudden silence the only sound is that of flames licking against the grass.


General Bein'Meleth Rámalóce The Staglord:
Kingdom Stat+3 Stability
HP: 28/30 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 21| Touch: 12 | FF: 20 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +2 | Will: +2
Skills:
Climb +3, Craft (weapons) +5, Diplo +9, HA +9 (+11 to train), Intim +6, K (nobility) +5, K (religion) +5, Per +3 (+5 SH), P (soldier) +3, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 when oppose bluff) Swim +5

Bein removes his lance and tosses it aside as the Spiders foul ichor clings to it like it was alive. He dismounts quickly and Arundel standby's watching as he begins turning the soil with his longsword and kicking it on the growing flames. "As I said... It wouldn't... Be us today... Nay, it was this creature who fell... Through good planning and sound tactics... we prevail... Now to take care of these flames." He grunted every couple of words as he kicked and stabbed the earth trying to douse most of the flames. A living enemy I can face, but a spreading fire I cannot.

A short while later

Once the flames are dealt with Bein will draw his sword and stand ready at the entrance to the spiders lair. Twirling his sword and raising his buckler he stood ready to engage once more. "I doubt it keeps prey alive for long but perhaps there is a survivor in this hole. Give the order and I will storm it." On hoof or foot I stand ready to fight.

Perception - For searching the hole if needed~ 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Female Bard 2 / Monk 2 ; HP: 26/26 | Init: +2 | Perc: +9 | AC: 18 | Touch: 16 | FF: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +8 | Will: +9
Skills:
Acro: +9 ;Dipl: +10 ;Heal: +8 (+10) ;Intim: +9 ;Know (relig): +9 ;Perf (ora): +8 ;Perf (sing): +9 ;Ride: +6 ;Sen Motv: +10 ;Spcrft: +8 ; UMD: +7

Once the flames have been doused, Xarafine approaches the spider carcass. She carefully examines it, particularly the fangs.

"If we can either milk or remove intact the venom sacs, we could might be able to make anti-venom. There seem to be a goodly number of these vermin in the region, and I would no wish for anyone to succumb to poisoning."

Bardic Knowledge (to determine the best way to safely remove or milk the venom sacs): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Heal check (if, allowed, for same purpose): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

She sighs with frustration. "I am used to working on men, not monsters. This anatomy is confusing. Master Ciarathan, do you have any better understanding of the beast's physiology?"


M Half-elf Ranger (Skirmisher) 3/Rogue 1 HP: 21/25 | Init: +5/7 in forests | Perc: +11/13 in forests | AC: 17 | Touch: 13 | FF: 13 | CMD 16 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +8 | Will: +3
Spoiler:
Ac+7|DD+7|HanAm+4|Hl+7|K(G)+8|K(N)+8|Ri+6|SenM+8|Stlth+14/16 in forests|Sur+12/14 in forests

Jack makes doubly sure the fire is in no danger of restarting.

Survival 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Jack leans over the spider beside Xarafine. "Just Jack, please. After all this time," he says softly before examining the spider. "It's hard to tell when these beasts are so monstrous... "

Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Human Paladin 2/Oracle of Battle 2 HP: 27/34 | Init: +1 | Perc: +7 | AC: 16 | Touch: 10 | FF: 16 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10
Skills:
Climb +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +10, Heal +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (eng) +6, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +6, Ride +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +5

Finnabar waits patiently while Xarafine and Jack examine the spider. Joining Bein, he keeps watch for more spider moving out of the spider lair.

"When you are ready, we'll have a look down there. There may be eggs or small ones inside."


HP: 5/5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +4 | AC: 12 | Touch: 11 | FF: 11 | Fort: +1 | Ref: +3 | Will: +2
Skills:
Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10Knowledge (stuff) +10; Knowledge (other stuff) +10

The spider's lair is about 5' wide and extends downward into darkness. The walls of the tunnel, which is vertical, are lined with thick webbing which you think should make it easy to climb down. Most of you can't make out the bottom of the hole. But to Jack's keen eyes it looks like there are some humped motionless shapes at its bottom.

Jack: You locate the venom sacs easily and remove them from the creature's head, sewing them to keep the contents from spilling out. You are not, however, sure how the poison might be preserved or used as an anti-venom. Xerafine is also unsure how to achieve this.

1,651 to 1,700 of 3,397 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hymenopterix's Colonies of the Salt Coast All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.