Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket (Inactive)

Game Master voodoo chili

In 4121 AR, the desert dwarves of the Barrier Wall Mountains sealed the famed Tar-Urkatha mine abruptly, saying only that one of the richest platinum mines in history had played out. Nearly six centuries later, the truth rises from the darkness.


1,801 to 1,850 of 4,080 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Round 3:

Contented as his corrosive payload serves to strip the unlife from the festrog, Chitleen hurls another of his alkhahest bombards forth...

Alkahest Ho: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 for 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (3, 7) + 4 = 14 (6 splash)
Using Precise bomb to limit friendly fire.
Trying to catch both in the blast.


Despite the low ceiling and the monk looming before him, Chitleen hurls his bomb directly at the farthest Festrog. It explodes on target dissolving undead flesh wherever the alkhahest falls. In moments nothing is left of the remaining festrogs except bits of bone floating in stinking foamy puss.

deadites all gone.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Lockjaw shakes festrog from his axe.

"Hah! Did you see that? Cut 'em in half. Nice work elf!"

Poor one hit point beastie. Axe crits are always fun.

"Think there's more? How many more bombs ye got?"

Lockjaw squeezes past Mankato once the pools finish bubbling. His companions will be able to note this is the one time he doesn't smell worse than his surroundings.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen regards his work with the calm removal of an expert in his trade and gives it a cursory nod of satisfaction. Moving after Lockjaw, Chitleen is wary of more festrogs awaiting further down the tunnel.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Is it possible something is making these things or do you think some disease caused this and that just a mine full of these?


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak nods appreciatively at his companions' competence in the face of danger. After the battle he tries to assess the damage.

Running a bit low on healing so I'll wait if no one is seriously injured.

To Mankato: "Maybe we will find the answers ahead. If not I shall commune with Torag on the morrow."

Surveying the tactical situation, he moves into the position behind Lockjaw so he can use his reach weapon. He takes his crossbow in hand and loads it.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

I'm down a few but nothing that can't wait.

"Beh, prolly made together. If'n ther like animals could be dozens spread out."


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

As previously noted your explosive casks are truly effective. It does have the desired effect of lessening the odour these undead dissipate once given the final death.

Daeron sniffs the air a little and adds,

Perhaps a dilution could be used for hygiene purposes as well?

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Daeron spends a while looking around while holding aloft the light infused stone.


It takes little further effort to determine the extents of the tunnel. After only about another hundred feet, the passage ends abruptly. It appears to have caved in and little headway will be made without a tremendous and well supported effort. Some of the loose rocks have been cleared from the passage to create a small chamber which by its foul odor apparently served as a den for the festrog.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Best to search it fer clues. Any of ye game or do ye wanna keep watch while I look?"


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak wrinkles up his nose and searches the chamber, using his holy Light spell for illumination.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 1 = 13 adding +1 for Guidance orison.
+2 for unusual stonework

In general do we need to say we are searching each room?

I can give Guidance (+1 on a single action) to anybody.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

I would be interested to scout out the chamber beyond, foul smell or not. Let us see whether anything still awaits beyond.

Daeron tosses the light stone into the opening, and awaits for a response.


You take your time searching the tunnel for any clues that might reveal what happened here or at least explain the origins of the festrogs, but you turn up nothing more. The dead end contains nothing of interest besides a vile smell. Likewise the tunnel is well shored up, but not noteworthy. Back at the entrance chamber however, a careful search reveals a pair of potion vials carefully hidden behind a rock.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

potion rolls, spellcraft: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 10 + 2 = 241d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 10 + 2 = 20

Daeron stoops the potions and examines it closely for any signs of magical essence within.

We have a respite from these foul undead. Now, what is the next action would you propose. I have yet to drain myself of magic and we have barely begun our descent.


Daeron identifies an emergency stash containing a potion of remove paralysis and a potion of remove disease.

The tunnel is a dead end. The dwarves believe this tunnel was an attempt to burrow straight into the lower mines, but given the loose rock material moved, it quickly collapsed. Further effort would require extensive use of wood braces that would take on the order of years and exposure to gnoll attack which was possibly the death knell for this operation.

The main entrance to the settlement and mine is at the end of the road leading to fortifications higher up the mountain.


Know (engineering) DC 15 or Hunch:
Looking at the damage to the slope and the limited extent of the talus slopes, there was likely a lower entrance at this point on the mountain that was purposely buried in an avalanche when the mines were abandoned.

Hunch = DC 20 sense motive


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

roll, hunch: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Daeron handles the vials and stuffs it in his front pouch.

I have deduced them to be concoctions for removal of paralysis and disease. I think it would be appropriate if I kept it till the need arises.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

"Sure, might come in handy. Headin' to the main entrance now er what?"


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

That is what I would propose. Unless you dwarves would like to take a breather?


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak looks at the tunnels and wonders if he should have spent more time mining with the other dwarves instead of reading books.

"Breather? We're just getting warmed up. Right, Lockjaw?" Karrak gets ready to go.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

I am ready to follow and try to also find something I can use for distant attacking as well. I have not been on many of these adventures and forgot such a thing.

Sorry all as I did forget ranged weapons. Wasn't thinking about it.


As you exit the stinking tunnel after taking some time to make a careful search, you find that the sun has nearly moved behind the mountain that you were just beneath. It is early evening as you head back through the forest of tombs to the old road up to the fortifications.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak offers Mankato the use of his heavy crossbow.

I am usually doing something clericy anyway. Or you can always throw rocks I guess?

"Perhaps we should look for a defensible place to camp. I would hate to get surrounded in the middle of the night."

Survival, anyone?


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

As they emerge from the mine Chitleen is thankful for the burgeoning dark taking the sting from his sensitive eyes. He then ruminates "Well we have seen some of what there is to fear here... and one thinks that our employer's thought of easy recovery was optimistic at best. Caution must be held in high regard as we continue..."

On the topic of a place to camp "If we are to rest, I would suggest among the unnamed dead. While macabre it would give us best chance to shield our camp from idle sight."

Camping or continuing? - Chitleen votes camp, just to be back towards full complement before we hit the mines proper.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

If we must rest then some fortification should be erected. What we see in the day would find darkness very much to their liking.

Daeron abstains as he is very much aware of his dependence for light may hinder him if the rest of the party is spent.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

"If we camp it will give me the opportunity to pray and meditate and be ready for battle tomorrow. Channeling so much divine energy is strangely draining.

Perhaps we could camp in the entrance room to the tunnel we just explored. We know there is nothing beyond it so we would only need to guard against attack from the entrance, and we should be able to see danger as it approaches."


The group apparently spent more time in the tunnel than expected. Upon seeing evening approaching, the group stops under the darkening pines to discuss their plans.

2 for camping, 1 abstain. Lockjaw and Mankato?


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Aye, I agree with Karrak, the tunnel can be defended."

Lockjaw will look to stack up stones and debris along the barrier to reinforce it.

Didn't help these sods but at least we'll die in the earth.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

I am willing to go along with that plan.


It is decided that perhaps the fortifications would be better approached during the light of day. Discussion then turns to a proper place to camp and the dwarves and earth blooded monk weigh in on the benefits of the festrogs' tunnel. At least the air near the entrance is good enough.

Lockjaw does his best to pile the biggest bits of debris at the entrance as a nod to some kind of barrier and you eat your rations and settle for the night. Chitleen takes the first watch and it is not long after darkness settles over the valley that you hear the first barking shouts of the foul festrogs prowling the woods.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Daeron would be asleep this time, save for his familiar who should be prowling about looking for insects.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Wary of the noises, but unable to see well enough to get any idea of how close they are... Chitleen settles in close to the others so that they might be awoken easily... and waits.

Chitleen will keep a weather ear out, and if they look to be making the entrance - he'll make a ruckus.


Chitleen moves back from the meager barricade to his sleeping companions and waits in the darkness. The weird vocalizations of the festrog, unintelligible yet so voice-like, continue outside. Chitleen can almost make out actual words in the hoarse shouts as he listens warily. At times the noise seems to draw near and then recede for a while.

Finally, near the end of his watch and the start of Karrak's post, the noise definitely draws nearer to the entrance of the tunnel. Chitleen has no need to wake the others as only the dead would be not be alerted by the racket just beyond the barricade.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen slowly paces backwards to be stench between himself and the undead and reaches within his satchel for another vial of his alkahest.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak readies his crossbow and heads to the entrance, hoping to get off a shot before they close.

If there is room for 3 to fight I will enter the fray with (presumably) Lockjaw and Mankato. If not, I will hang back and shoot/use magic.

I know my spells refresh when I pray at dawn. When exactly do I get back my channel energy and other daily abilities? And can I use my leftover spells right before I pray?


Karrak arouses quickly ready for his turn at watch and hears the undead at their doorstep. It takes him a moment to don his armor and move to the entrance with his crossbow loaded.

The entrance is a ten by ten opening with lumber, boulders, and broken equipment roughly stacked about two feet high. High enough to hinder a charge if nothing else. Beyond the tunnel, Karrak sees the furtive shapes of the festrog in the darkness. There must be a score of them hungrily shouting as they lope forward ducking from boulder to boulder.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Have the others been woken at this point?


Yes, everyone is awakened by the noise.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak lets out a whistle and quickly calls the others. "About 20 of them!"

Assuming everyone is ready...I don't want to provoke an attack if people are still putting on armor.

Karrak moves to the barricade, fires at the closest one, and then drops the crossbow behind him and pulls out his dorn-dergar.

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 9

Dorn-dergar in "reach" mode. Not sure how far they are so I don't know if I have time to complete all these actions.

Possible AoO::

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Daeron feels himself clawed back to the present by the unearthly growls and grating noises of their new adversaries. Pulling himself to a stand he notices the others up and quietly readying for battle, the sign of seasoned adventurers as the festrog make their way to the cave opening.

Slipping his hand into his reagent pouch, Daeron readies to cast some choice spells as battle becomes imminent.

Choosing to cast Gravity Bow and Grease before commencement of battle.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Dammit. Less we got some time and ye can help I'm going armorless for this one. Gotta learn to sleep in it. Save me life mebbe."

Lockjaw equips his shield and axe and stands the line with Karrack.

I would need 4 minutes and assistance to put my armor on. 4 minutes alone and I can don it with haste. If it looks like we have 4 minutes until they find us I'll armor up, otherwise I'll go without.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Mankato helps assist Lockjaw if looks like can get him into his armor but will move up to the entrance if not.

We will need to be cautious here if so many of them are gathering. We need to be careful with healing so we don't run out too fast.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

"We can take turns on the barricade and hold them off. Chitleen, I hope you have more of those acid bombs."

I only have one channel energy left and I plan to make good use of it.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen grimaces as Karrak draws the attention of the festrog "Let them come to us... into the tunnel is we can force them."


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

"Aye, we can fall back into the tunnel if need be."


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

I would slicken the path leading to our refuge, only if to delay their advance.

Daeron's fingers keeps to his spell pouch, fingering the knob of butter that slowly lubricates his index finger and thumb.

Ready for a casting of grease as the first one approaches.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen hisses with urgency "We should fall into the tunnel now. It will limit the number that can be brought against us and make them swarm together... which would be more advantageous for my alkahest."


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Sorry, I was thinking they would be massed together outside the entrance...how wide is the approach?


sorry about the delay. Landlord forgot to pay the internet bill so posting will be difficult until I get home access again.

Karrak moves toward the entrance and is joined by Mankato and an unarmored Lockjaw as Chitleen calls to fall back into the narrow tunnel. Daeron's components are readily at hand as the first festrogs leap the barricade!

Initiative rolls:

Chitleen 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Karrak 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Daeron 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Lockjaw 1d20 ⇒ 10
Mankato 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Festrogs 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Round 1
Chitleen
Festrogs
Mankato
Lockjaw
Daeron
Karrak

i'll try and get a map up next time, but the entrance is 10 wide and goes back 10 feet before widening into a 20x20 supply room. The tunnel is 5' wide and starts from the back of the supply room.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Round 1: Delay to post festies

Having not moved to the barricade and instead remained within the tunnel, Chitleen does not have a clear line of action to the undead... and he has little intent of moving his sweetly scented elven form into the firing line. He waits for the festrog to make an appearance.

1,801 to 1,850 of 4,080 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.