Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket (Inactive)

Game Master voodoo chili

In 4121 AR, the desert dwarves of the Barrier Wall Mountains sealed the famed Tar-Urkatha mine abruptly, saying only that one of the richest platinum mines in history had played out. Nearly six centuries later, the truth rises from the darkness.


1,701 to 1,750 of 4,080 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

I would not know. I know nothing of their goddess. She seems more animalistic spirit than goddess. I think of the breeding rituals of animals that are deadly to the male looking at this scene.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak figures the uncouth paladin may be on to something after all.

Kn. Religion 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Aye, she is a vile demon. I think we've seen enough here. Karrak shudders, wishing to move on.


Karrak:
You think these are likely the remains of the males granted the privilege of mating with the beastly females. You do note that the event occurred on a new moon.

The way now clear of gnolls, the next few days of travel pass without mishap. One morning a giant vulture soars overhead scaring the mules, but the great bird soon departs to look for less mobile prey.

There is a crossing over a deep chasm, but although ancient,the dwarven bridge has withstood the test of time and allows a safe crossing over the harrowing gap.

Finally on the third day, you pause for a midday break overlooking a valley and your destination. An immense landslide covers the lower slopes on the opposite side of the valley and dark pines cover the floor of the valley. Between the trees you see small stone structures of some type. A crumbling paved road skirts the valley and leads up the slope above the landslide to fortifications that must mark the entrance to the lost dwarven mine now known as Zolurket.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Rarely is a shelter unoccupied.
The elf comments, after squinting at the distance. He keeps mum after discerning little from his current location. Nevertheless he readies his longbow for quick use.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Think it is time for slow and steady movement. Need to be on alert but the mules probably going to have easier time moving than we are.

Scanning the area: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Last night was a new moon, perhaps their vile rituals are tied to the new moon.

Karrak pauses to admire the dwarven stonework then stops to scan the valley.
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

"The lesser I think on gnollish rituals involving dis-membering the better I think... especially when there is more interesting fare ahead" taking time to take in the vista before him... while also scanning for signs of life outside of the tunnels.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

If no life is noted, Chitleen will begin to move to the stone structure in the trees.


All is still and bright in the warm midday sun as you repack and make your way down into the valley and toward the shadows of the pine thicket.

Know (nature) DC 15:
The trees are somewhat overgrown and the oldest all about the same height. You would estimate that this is secondary growth and that the whole valley was kept clear of trees up until a few centuries ago.

Know (Engineering) DC 12:
It becomes evident as you get closer that the small square structures in the dark pines are crypts or mausoleums.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Chitleen notes that the uniformity of the trees with pursed lips and thoughtful expression, as they continue closer to the pine thicket.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak starts to sing an old dwarven smithing song, but the notes die away as he notices Chitleen concentrating on something, and he goes back to walking in silence.


Arriving at the edge of the dense stands of pine, you can now make out the buildings more clearly and see that they are dwarven mausoleums and cenotaphs. One stands nearby, the blocks of pale stone in contrast with the sickly black pines that press against it.

Strange that dwarves would entomb their dead in an open valley and that the tombs bear no marks of accomplishment or even listing of the clan name and ancestors of those lain within. There is no sign of an entrance either although there are several areas along the base that are torn at as if some wild beast sought to dig under the walls.

Even though the warm sun still shines brightly overhead, the shadows of the pines are chill on your skin.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Mankato asks the dwarves if this is normal or if a sign of something.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

I'd want to be buried in the solid earth, not out here under the sky.

Karrak approaches the tombs reverently, wondering at the fate of these dwarves, and looking for any clues to the local history.

Any writing at all?

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 1 (+2 more for unusual stonework)
Kn. Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Kn. History: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 using lorekeeper


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Meh, I dinna want to die 't'al, but if'n they get me reckon I'll be passin' through some beastie and not in some tomb."

Lockjaw holds his axe tightly as they approach the tombs, clearly uneasy with their location and lack of markings.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen follows behind the dwarven priest, not wanting to inadvertantly contravene any customs regarding the interment of the deceased. Silent for the moment, but concerned and scanning the cenotaphs for writing. "Karrak, are not those erected when remains are not able to be found?"

Cenotaph


Karrak is disturbed by the strangeness of the tombs. The workmanship is fine, but it just feels inert. It lacks the quiet joy and pride that nearly all dwarves take in even the most mundane project. Aside from a few engraved hammers in the style of Kols, the God of Oaths, and his uncle Magrim, Karrak finds no runes to decipher what occurred. Even given the cultural differences of the desert dwarves, one would expect some text honoring the life of the fallen or even a name that descendants could seek, but there is nothing. It is as if these tombs and monuments were made to be forgotten.

Lockjaw speaks the truth about the untimely end of many an adventurer and that could be a possible explanation for the many 'empty tombs' though one would not expect so many commoners to find that fate.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

That is true, friend. It seems strange that there are so many, compared to the number of the tombs. And the craftsmanship is ...well, lifeless. It seems these desert dwarves' customs are alien to my own. Karrak takes out a small book and makes a few hurried sketches.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Would they have been at war and not have time to do more? They did what they could and planned on doing more later?


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

With a stony face Chitleen muses "Most monuments are built to remember, to honor the fallen... this feels as though it was placed to forget. I fear we might find our answer within the mines... and we will see if our honored employers are speaking truth or falsehood."


As you reflect, there suddenly comes the sound of coarse yelling. It is hard to tell what is being said, but several raised voices echo from within the dark pines.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Mebbe they know."

Lockjaw thrusts his bearded face in the direction of the noise before beginning to march towards the sounds.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Karrak looks up, trying to determine if the voices are coming from one direction or all around.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Karrak starts to look around for a place to hide or form a defense, but seeing Lockjaw on the move he follows him cautiously, pausing to pick up a pebble.

If it is hard to see in the woods I will cast Light on it and throw it for illumination.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Mankato prepares himself. He knows this could be trouble but he hopes not. They were hired to take gnolls so trouble is the most likely candidate.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Jaw set, Lockjaw leads the way deeper into the thicket and toward the cacophony. The dark trees press close and the raucous calls draw nearer sounding more like barks and howls than intelligible words, but still in a humanoid timbre.

You spot movement between the trees and get a glimpse of whatever they are. It is about the right size and gait for a wolf, but something is definitely off as you spot bare diseased flesh. Perhaps a pack of mange afflicted mastiffs? The creatures encircle you, voices quiet to an anticipatory whine.

Mankato spots six of the beasts among the dark trees. Then one gambols forward and you see a form like a stout bulldog. Its skin hairless and covered in weeping pustules. Well, hairless except for its head and the ragged and stained beard around its long jaws and sharp teeth. Then it stands and the truth is revealed as you realize that whatever this being is now, it was once a dwarf.

Initiative rolls:

Chitleen 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Karrak 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Daeron 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Lockjaw 1d20 ⇒ 12
Mankato 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Things 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Round 1
Daeron
Chitleen
Lockjaw
Things
Mankato
Karrak


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 Does Chitleen know what they might actually be? - and more specifically if they appear to be some kind of undead?


A charnel stink and patches of decomposition amongst the disease lead Chitleen to believe they are undead.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Round 1: 19/19 HP, AC 16, 5/6 alkahest

Hissing as he recognizes the tell tale signs of that which walks when it should already have perished Chitleen reaches into his satchel as he stalks forward at to one side. Drawing forth a vial of alkhahest, he cracks the seal with a thumb as he hurls the mixture towards the lead creature...

Alkhahest (within 30ft): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 for 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (4, 1) + 4 = 9
6 splash if relevant... which it likely isn't

...though in his haste he accidentally ruptures the vial before it is thrown, causing most of the precious acid to dissipate before it reaches the target.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Round 1 Init 12

Status:

HP = 34/34
AC = 21/10/21
Weapon Equipped = Mwk Cold Iron Dwarven Waraxe
Speed = 20'
Lay on Hands/day = 3/3
Smite Evil/day = 1/1
Status Effects = None

K. Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Not knowing what they are but knowing they are at least abominations of dwarves, Lockjaw prepares to hew the first one in range.

"Come and get it then ye blighters."

Ready Attack to the first in melee range, as I'm not sure how far away they stand.

Dwarven Waraxe: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 171d10 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

The signs were readily apparent and Daeron felt thankful he readied his bow in time. The sight of the now approaching undead jars a distant memory of short lived insanity. Gritting his teeth, Daeron chooses to lash out with his bow, aware that unannounced use of his trasmutation magics on his new comrades may not be what they desired.

Knowledge(Religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

ranged attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 if within 30 feet
damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 1 = 4


Daeron:
Daeron has never seen these things in person, but has heard tales. They are festrog, bestial ghoul-like things that act more like wolves. Their origin is shadowy, but appears to have something to do with corpses exposed to negative energy and then scavenged by wild animals. They lack the ability to paralyze with fear as ghouls do, but they grow strong by devouring living flesh and carry virulent disease.

The battle hardened elves react swiftly though ineffectively. A memory of madness casts a shadow over Daeron and ruins his shot as Chitleen sets off his alkahest bomb too early. Then the undead beasts burst from the pines running on all fours like hounds. Lockjaw is ready though and with a swing of his axe the first one falls in a splash of clotted black blood. Lockjaw- fort save

Two more rush the paladin in the lead, but are kept at distance by warding swings of the powerful axe. karrak and Mankato manage to avoid the ravening jaws of the beasts that charge them, but Chitleen is not so fortunate. The thing grabs his leg and pulls him down feasting on his living flesh as it tears a chunk of meat from his leg. It quickly swallows the bloody meat and seems energized. Chitleen-9 bite, tripped

Round 1
Mankato
Karrak
R2
Daeron
Chitleen
Lockjaw
Things

map


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Knowledge: Religion 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Karrak, shocked by the sight of these monstrosities, is slow to react. Summoning his courage, he clutches his silver Hammer of Torag and raises it above his head, shouting "Torag, hammer your foes!" He feels holy energy wash over him and radiate outward.

Channel Positive Energy 2d6 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4

What language do you use for Dwarven?


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Mankato releases a flurry of fists at the thing next to him. He tries to make sure to try and move into better position.

Mankato 5 foot steps to G-0
Flurry of Fists: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 61d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 61d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 161d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Round 2 Init 12

Status:

HP = 34/34
AC = 21/10/21
Weapon Equipped = Mwk Cold Iron Dwarven Waraxe
Speed = 20'
Lay on Hands/day = 3/3
Smite Evil/day = 1/1
Status Effects = None

Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Lockjaw spits a mixture of black ichor and week old tobacco at the creature to his right before cutting at the one in front of him.

Mwk Dwarven Waraxe Cold Iron Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 171d10 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Karrak Ironhand wrote:
What language do you use for Dwarven?

I honestly prefer just spoilering the phrase labeled with the language spoken. but if you must, likely stereotypical nordic gibberish.


Mankato steps back-to-back with Karrak while clobbering the closest grave hound with a stoney fist. An instant later, the burst of holy energy from Karrak destroys the thing as well as damaging the other ghoulish survivors.

elves up.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

This link and Swedish Chef for Dwarvish?

Round 2: 7/16 HP, Prone, AC 20

Clubbed to the ground and fearful of the power of his foes, Chitleen makes a passable impression of a turtle as he seeks to safeguard his life until the dwarves can put their tainted kin down.

Total defence - not risking an AoO at this point.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

The positive channel also heals the living, right? So Chitleen +4 HP.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Your flesh devoured has the ability to further fortify their undead flesh, my kin. These subtype of ghoul are festrogs, unable to paralyse but dangerous the same.

Daeron addresses his proned kin as he steps away into space <I2> and looses an arrow at the festrog towering over Chitleen.

ranged with PBS and PS: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 1 = 10


Karrak Ironhand wrote:
The positive channel also heals the living, right? So Chitleen +4 HP.

No, you have to choose EITHER heal OR harm when you channel.


Daeron sends an arrow into the dead thing pressing Karrak and the beast, already singed by holy energy falls. Lockjaw's axe sends another to its long overdue fate. Lockjaw is again exposed to blackened puss, but in moments, only one festrog is left.

Chitleen holds its ravenous jaws back, but the thing proves to be just as adept at causing harm with its heavy digging claws. One claw makes it past the fallen elf's defense leaving a critical wound. Chitleen-11 hp slash. Lockjaw fort save

Round 2
Mankato
Karrak
R 3
Daeron
Chitleen
Lockjaw
Things

(just the festrog on Chitleen left)


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

Mankato moves up and tries to slay the one that is digging into the elf. He is worried and says Chitleen looks bad and need help now.

Fist to face: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 251d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Mankato comes to Chitleen's aid with a powerful strike that cracks the thing's jaw and stains its tattered beard with sepia blood, but it still has a little unlife left in it.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

OK, got it.

Figuring the best way to save their companion is to kill the abomination first, Karrak sends out another wave of energy.

Channel (harm) 2d6 ⇒ (5, 6) = 11

After combat, Karrak quickly goes about the business he was trained for, seeing to the wounded.

Cure moderate wounds on Chitleen (burning the summon monster II spot).
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (3, 1) + 3 = 7

then check on Lockjaw and the others

Heal check to assess damage:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
and cast Remove Sickness if necessary.


A powerful blast of holy light strips the diseased flesh from the last festrog and it collapses to move no more. Chitleen quickly revives though he is still badly wounded.

need a 2nd save from Lockjaw, but he should be fine unless he really bombs the roll.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

Use my other slot to cure moderate wounds again.
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (3, 6) + 3 = 12

Spells Remaining:

Level 0 (unlimited):
Spark
Stabilize
Light
Guidance

Level 1:
Prot. from Evil (Domain slot)
Command
Remove Sickness

Level 2:
Align Weapon(Domain slot)

"What were those things?"


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Yar!

"Aye, what were they? Foul monstrosities."

Lockjaw will take 10 on K. Religion now that they are out of combat to identify them since he has a better idea what they can do. Assuming this is enough or it is explained to him.

"Bah, must've been workers died in the mines. Torag's called me ta kill 'em and we done so. Yer bathing drew 'em in elf, sweetest thing here. No taste for me!"

Lockjaw laughs heartily at this, although he makes sure all are fully recovered from the fight.

"Ye done Torag's work there Karrack, bless'd be."


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen briefly fades to black before being brought back by Karrak.
Stabilization: 1d20 + 0 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 0 - 4 = 12 So -4 HP to start, +19 = 15/19 HP left

Bathed in blood that is both his own and not, Chitleen rises gingerly to his feet with a look of disdain. Adjusting his turban he gives Karrak a short bow to acknowledge his assistance before wiping at least his face clean of blood with his sleeve.

Allowing himself a weak smile Chitleen retorts to Lockjaw "Indeed... perhaps it best I find means of dousing you in perfume while you sleep so as to spread their attention next time?"


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Hah! I like ye elf, ye got a spine on ya! And some other parts."

Lockjaw grins at this last.

"Tell ye what, ye cover me in perfume once and I won't take it personal. Once. But ye fight and ye don't go down easy and that's somethin'."

Lockjaw nods when he has finished.


Lockjaw confers with Daeron and is able to recall the following information on the strange undead: They are festrog, bestial ghoul-like things that act more like wolves. Their origin is shadowy, but appears to have something to do with corpses exposed to negative energy and then scavenged by wild animals. They lack the ability to paralyze with fear as ghouls do, but they grow strong by devouring living flesh and carry virulent disease.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

I am sorry about those who this happened to. Would this have anything to do with these? Mankato gestures around at the tombs.

1,701 to 1,750 of 4,080 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.