Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket (Inactive)

Game Master voodoo chili

In 4121 AR, the desert dwarves of the Barrier Wall Mountains sealed the famed Tar-Urkatha mine abruptly, saying only that one of the richest platinum mines in history had played out. Nearly six centuries later, the truth rises from the darkness.


1,601 to 1,650 of 4,080 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

A moment later understanding dawns on his Tamerk's face as he turns to Surak. "Ah, but it is not desert dwarves of which you speak, but northerners and heretics who do not respect our ways or even the gods of our ancestors!" Tamarek says something about Surak's outlandish gear and holy symbol in dwarven and a heated argument begins between the two in their racial tongue.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen stands aside warily, moving closer to Daeron to mutter "One of these days it might pay to learn their tongue..."


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

True, I may devote some time to grasp the nuances of the guttural tongue.

Daeron concurs with a nod of his head as he watches the dwarven complement argue with themselves.

Enough of the squabbling and petty quibbles. You are still standing are you not Tamerk? What do you propose would be your next action, other than quarreling. I would find traveling in a wounded state as yourself precarious.


Tamerk remains flushed as he turns to Daeron, "A day or two of rest to recover and I continue my journey." He stands and nods to the three remaining members of your party, "I am grateful for the assistance. If I may return the favor, I implore you not to go to the place of Dark Death." He holds his fist in a blocking motion before his face again. "I must take my leave now. The best I can offer you is my honest wish that you die clean deaths."


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Delivering a short bow, though not taking his eyes off Tamerk, Chitleen adds "Your words are heard, but not required. A task was accepted and recompense already paid... I shall see it through, and if necessary you can lament my poor choice when we meet again in the Boneyard... centuries hence."


Tamerk frowns, but takes his leave without further comment. You notice that Tararr has not returned with the lost mules and it has now grown dark.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Shrugging his shoulders Chitleen allows Tamerk to leave without any further challenge. Turning to Daeron and Surak he frowns "Tararr has not returned... this does not bode well." and turns his eyes to ground to see if he can follow the angry one's tracks...

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Daeron lends a hand, although he lacks any specialized training and employs his familiar as an aerial lookout.

Aid another: 1d20 ⇒ 11


Chitleen easily finds Tararr's trail which follows a wide path cleared by the fleeing mules. He soon comes across a pair of the mules tethered to a pine. A little farther he finds another frightened mule, but no Tararr. Tracking becomes troublesome after this as the waning moon has yet to rise and the darkness beneath the trees makes finding signs of even a dwarf's passage difficult.

Chitleen suddenly comes to a cliff that drops away with dizzying rapidity. Damage to the rim shows that both dwarf and remaining mules went over. Ghema is dispatched to find out if Tararr is lying below, but Daeron senses that the bat finds nothing.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen is genuinely affected when he discovers what appears to be the fate of Tararr... though is relieved to recover some of the mules that hold their supplies.


Seeing that it would be a quite dangerous descent even by the light of the day, the elves return to camp with the surviving mules. The next morning dawns dark and threatening under heavy clouds.

level up to 3rd


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Turning to Daeron with a wry but soul heavy smirk "It would seem that the fortitude of dwarves was overstated brother" indicating the prostrate Surak who had appeared to have fallen into a fugue.

"I don't think we can try the cliff where Tararr has seemed to fall... we should press on and hope that we reach a position of relative calm where we might regroup ourselves." rousing Surak awake and goading him to join the convoy to continue ever West.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

It may seem so, but I would give him some respite, as I believe he was not from these regions. But dwarves seem to erode themselves ever vigorously, three have we gone through and yet any of our lithe kind.

Daeron shakes Surak awake on the shoulder.

I may need some time to recollect my thoughts as our journeying have opened my eyes to new ways to approach my magic.


Surak appears listless and troubled after his argument with the foreign dwarf. As you break your camp, the winds rise to strong gales and hail begins to pelt you as a freak summer storm assaults the mountain top.

give me a survival check.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Gritting his teeth and manhandling the mules, Chitleen attempts to stay the path.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Determined to press on despite the ominous weather, Chitleen pulls the balking mules across the exposed pass. The light turns a nasty aqua color under the black clouds and with peals of thunder, freezing rain and hail the size of sling bullets crash down on you. all take 2 hp damage The mules thrash in panic, breaking loose, and stampeding off down the trail once again!


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Trudging after our runaway mules is not heroics are made of..

Daeron pulls a cloth over his mouth before deciding to pursue the mule with the most resources. His voice sounds muffled, miffed at the changing weather patterns.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Hissing as the hail comes down and looking around, Chitleen tries to determine if chasing the mules is wise... or if he should seek shelter to survive the storm...


The hail becomes a roaring sleet storm obscuring your vision and chilling you to the bone. Daeron moves off to follow the mules as Chitleen takes stock of their situation. Surak just pulls the slush from his beard with a look of disgust and moves to follow Daeron.

Please each give me a survival check.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Seeing as Surak has move to follow Daeron, Chitleen mutters as he suffers under the assault of sleet.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16

The bullet punches of hail knock irritatingly into the unprotected elven frame as Daeron shields his eyes, searching for the wayward mule.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24


The pouring sleet makes it hard to see or hear much beyond arm's reach. Daeron manages to stay on the trail despite the deluge and soon spots the form of a mule near a torrential mountain stream braying inconsolably. Drawing nearer, he is able to grab its bridle and then notices the bulk of two other mules and their packs drowned beneath the flood waters below.

Surak and Chitleen soon reach Daeron's side. Surak shakes his head sadly at the continuing bad luck and shouts over the storm, "It's no use. The desert dwarf was right. These mountains are cursed. We should turn back before all is lost!"

DC 15 fort save or 1d6 ⇒ 2 non-lethal cold damage. and sorry about the mules. rolled a pair of 1s on their ref saves.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Fort: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

The cold bites into Daeron's soaked elven frame and his teeth start to clatter. He glances at the drowned cold mules and nods at Surak's council. He hands a rein to the dwarf and together tugs the mules to a more worthwhile place.


There is no sign of the other remaining mules. Perhaps they made it across the torrent. With the sole mule at hand Surak despondently assists in pulling the tired beast back down the pass and into the spare cover of the forest where you wait shivering for the storm to subside. Looking to the half frozen elf, Surak applies healing and then suggest he could split the mules belly and Daeron could slip into the warm innards. ; )


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Fort save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Chitleen manages to avoid the worst of the cold, though the sleet soaks through his turban and leaves the elf miserable regardless. Although he scoffs at Surak's suggestion, he is not left in a position of strength as far as to refute it. He daubs an intense smelling ittar unto his upper lip to restore some vitality to his face as they await the quelling of the storm.


The sleet slackens a short time later, but the clouds remain threatening and you are all wet and cold. Surak stands apart frowning at the elves as if daring them to say that they wish to continue.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen wordlessly affixes a challenging gaze upon the faithful of Ragathiel... as though questioning whether the servant of Revenge had lost his bottle and wished to skulk home with his tail between his legs where mere elves had the grit to continue.


Surak breaks the silence. "I have thought hard upon what the desert dwarf told me and I my doubts about both our employers and our mission. I have decided despite the stranger's harsh words that I will seek him out and assist him in his journey. I do not think we shall meet again, but only time will tell."

and off goes another jugador perdido.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen looks at Surak with a bemused and exhasperated expression for a few moments before controlling himself. He then extends a hand to shake and gives a short bow "Your path is your own sahib... and you must walk it and defend it to Pharasma upon your arriving at her gate. If this is your path, then so be it."

Once Surak has departed, Chitleen turns to Daeron "One would hope that Torag would see irony in the fact that the only ones with fortitude enough to continue to liberate one of his holds are elves... but with simply the two of us even I must think of caution."

Not sure how you wanted to bring in the newbies Voodoo - give me a nudge if you'd like us to flop in any particular direction.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Daeron shakes his head vigorously.

I would endure this mere trifle of discomfort than willingly turn this dead beast into an unlikely marsupial pouch.

Daeron mutters something half intelligible, regarding how bad he'd smell later.

He watches on later as Surak bades his farewells as the dwarf leaves the elven couple to find his own lost mine.

Verily I would continue my assessment of dwarven willpower and find it wanting in the specimens I have come across.

He wordlessly huddles close to the forest canopy waiting for the storm to pass.


The cold rain lasts throughout the day and as night draws near the temperature drops again turning the rain to snow. Concern quickly turns toward finding better shelter and drying out and warming up. Chitleen is able to construct a lean-to and get a small fire going as the temperature drops below freezing.

The next day dawns cold and dusted with snow, but at least the rain has stopped. However, you find yourselves short on supplies with only one mule and about 10 days of food left. Your options include: staying to search for the two unaccounted for mules, going forward and hoping there will be game or food to raid ahead, or turning back to resupply.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen's mood is far darker than he is usually suspect to, though likely the turn of events has had more than a little to do with that. To Daeron "We can either forge on or turn back. Both routes are through danger and possibility of death..." finding his thoughts wishing for a cup of chai to help guide his mind. "I do not think we can waste time searching for the burden beasts... but I think we must press forward, though with caution."


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Indeed, hazards faces us wherever we should turn. We should increase our supplies by butchering the frozen mule left here. It would serve well, and forge on ahead.

Warming himself by the fire, Daeron busies drying himself up.

Little is left should we linger on or should we turn back be much a source of amusement for our dwarven employers, as if to announce we elves could not get by without dwarven support. I thoroughly detest that.

Drawing his adamantine dagger, Daeron approaches the frozen mule, intent on carving the tenderest cuts for supply.


Earlier

No one was sure where the reeking dwarf and the strange human had met or why they seemed to enjoy each other’s company so much. But they seemed inseparable since they had arrived in Solku. The dwarf stank of mildew and too much time in dank places below ground. The shaitan-tainted human had a troglodytic feel about him as well if not so blatantly organic as the dwarf.

Most gave them a wide berth as they lingered in bars and went about their business whatever it was. Thus it was a surprise to them both when a well dressed and obviously wealthy dwarf approached them as they tried their best to avoid the hullabaloo of the Festival of Burning Blades. The dwarf introduced himself as one Gravlet Truther, a miner and businessman who is looking for brave souls to free an abandoned mine of evil spirits that have claimed it.

He offers you a lordly sum of 500 gold scarabs to help clear the mine of gnolls and in particular the haunt of a treacherous former partner named Tibbs Rocksledge.

cue the new guys.


Though he wields a worthy blade that will never dull, Daeron's attempts at muleskinner suffer from a lack of experience. He extracts several sizable chunks of ragged flesh minimally adorned with hair and patches of hide, but his contribution to the meager remaining rations is hardly appealing.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Eh? Yer wanting me to kill a dwarf and free a dwarven mine? Lemme ask ye, what's in this mine? Evil spirits cover a lotta ground. Banshees, poultrygiests, ghosts, that stuff you guys call wine around here. What's yer angle?"

Lockjaw looks to his human companion, seeing if his newfound smarter half can suss out the strangers meanings.

Total Skull Kickers vibe here, if any of you have seen that comic you'll know where my less than intelligent but enthusiastic dwarf is coming from.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

500 gold to clear out a mine? How big a mine? Sounds interesting.

Mankato is curious about the job. Sounds like an interesting path and may prove to be enlightening.


The dwarf runs his fingers through the graying blonde ringlets of his hair. "The mine's pretty extensive, but we're just talking about the upper level. It shouldn't take you too long and of course any incidental take you're welcome to keep."


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

I am willing if I have others to go with. I work to increase my self understanding. I have no desire to be solo in such dangerous areas.

Mankato stands up and gives a pledge to complete the task to the best of his ability. He finds out details on what is needed such as proof task is done and where to meet the dwarf after finished.


Gravlet smiles, "I would not expect you to take the journey on your own. I was hoping the deep dwarf here would accompany you. I have found a priest of Torag who would accompany you as well. The well dressed dwarf looks expectantly at Lockjaw.

He holds up a raven feather cut into a bird shape. "This is a magical feather token that will bring your message to me once you have completed the job."


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

Damn forums ate my post. Grr.
From earlier, literally one minute before Mankato posted.

"Eh? Yer wanting me to kill a dwarf and free a dwarven mine? Lemme ask ye, what's in this mine? Evil spirits cover a lotta ground. Banshees, poultrygiests, ghosts, that stuff you guys call wine around here. What's yer angle?"

Lockjaw looks to his human companion, seeing if his newfound smarter half can suss out the stranger's meanings.

Total Skull Kickers vibe here, if any of you have seen that comic you'll know where my less than intelligent but enthusiastic dwarf is coming from.

*************************

Lockjaw looks at the back and forth between Mankato and the well dressed dwarves.

"Er, I be no priest, Torag tells me who to kill and I kill 'em. Ain't no praying about it. Well none of the skeletons and zombies I kilt yet have prayed. Maybe after, hard to say with them."

Letting loose a snort the odorous dwarf shakes his head, sending a few stray lice scurrying for the cover of any dark places in the room.

"Tell ye what, we're lookin' at it and tell yea what we find. Don't need no feathers though, give'm the hairless one."

As a note I dropped Deep Dwarf when I submitted, I felt it was just too over the top with all my other archetypes already. If you want I can switch back.

Lockjaw gets a grim look in his eye as he turns to Gravlet and speaks in their native tongue.

Dwarven:

"By my oath Gravlet I shall undertake this task for you. If you betray us or break this oath then 500 gold pieces will not be enough to save you from the wrath of Torag and his sons and daughters."


"Bah," Truther responds to Lockjaw. "Ya really got nothing to worry about other than a bunch of claim jumping gnolls. I'm not asking you to kill any live dwarves. Just keep an eye out for the ghost of Tibbs. He's the evil spirit I'm talking about. A regular coblenau that will lead you to fall straight down a shaft or other mischief."

"And don't be listening to those desert dwarves. Buncha sneaks that put Kols and Magrim over Torag. I got a proper priest of Torag lined up to go with you, name's Karrak. So there's really no need for concern."


With an agreement grudgingly made, you meet the third member of your party the next morning at a caravansary outside of Solku where a loaded mule awaits each of you. Gravlet introduces you to a priest of Torag named Karrak before abruptly waving you off on your journey and returning to the Breakstride Inn.

Let me know if the 3 new guys are ready to head out.


|| CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F +9 | R +3 | W +5 || HP 53/59 AC 21/10/21 || Paladin 5 || SR 10 Immune: Fear, Disease

"Gnolls? Hur, lice infested good fer nothins'. Drive 'em off then I'll be seeing about this Tibbs."

With than Lockjaw shakes his head, a few stray lice falling to the ground unnoticed by the unwashed paladin.

******************************

"Yer Karrak? Priest o' Torag aye? What'che doing here in the desert? Names Lockjaw."

The dwarf holds out a dirty hand encased in a steel gauntlet. His weapons have seen some use but are well cared for.

Ready when you are.


Male Oread Monk HP 27 Init +1; Senses Darkvision; Perception +9 AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 15 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +7

I am ready to go whenever the others are. Is there any supplies that we need to pick up? I have 3 days worth of supplies but expect that will be too little. Are you able to supply us with anything?

Mankato waits for an answer while making sure his backpack is sitting comfortably.


Dwarf Cleric 5 (HP 35 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +7 | R +5 | W +9 | Init +4* | Per +4* )

"Karrak Ironhand at your service. Been hearing strange rumors from these parts about the old mines. You got a problem with evil spirits? Torag willing, I can help with that." The priest is a young-looking dwarf with a short reddish beard, his cloak dusty from travel. His speech is well-mannered but he seems to be well-enough armed, with some kind of ball-and-chain weapon hanging around his waist.

Can you sum up what I should know, or should I just read through the old posts?


You've each been provided with a month's rations loaded on the mules. You can make a knowledge (local) or (history) check to learn more about the mines. Read back if you like, but there really hasn't been much background on the mine since you all are just arriving.

Having been given rudimentary directions, the trio start their journey. A trail along the river skirts the edge of the Barrier Wall and a couple days later you find an ancient dwarven bridge near a tower that leads west into the mountains. A suspicious robed figure watches from the ruined tower, but you continue on your way without exchanging words.

After a week's travel you have come within what you expect to be another day or two of reaching the mines when you are stopped by a large raiding party of truly monstrous gnolls. The females are nearly the size of ogres and from what you can see nearly as depraved as the giantkin.

Their encampment holds fifteen monstrous matriarchs and nearly three times that number of male chattel as well as a pack of pet dire hyenas.

You are no cowards, but one would be a fool against those odds so you withdraw back over the pass to wait out the gnolls when a freak blizzard hits. A couple days later, you hope that perhaps the foul weather has forced the gnolls to move on.
*****

Meanwhile the two elves prepare to continue on blessedly free of annoying company of the slow moving dwarves. At least for a moment as they travel no more than a day through the slushy pass before they spot a pair of short bearded figures with an odd looking stranger.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23 Is the stranger human or other?
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 And any chance Chitleen can identify a little bit more about the bears before we close.... like if they are the easily trained to tear out elven throats and feast upon entrails type of bears?

Chitleen puts a hand out to slow Daeron's speed as he peers towards the stranger and his bears "Hold brother, we need be wary before we draw too close."


Would the rations have included some cold weather survival gear? I did not think to buy any and so would need to sell something to afford it.

This weather shall show us a way to improve ourselves. Hope the world is not showing us that we need to die. I am more hopeful that it did that to the gnolls or at least some of them.

Mankato tries to meditate and go through his martial exercises as he is able to with the blizzard going on.


Speedy Mc Chitleen- typo. meant beards as in dwarf beards. ie your new party members. corrected and clarified above.
RG- you probably wouldn't expect a snow storm in august. it was very unseasonal though not necessarily supernatural (00 on the weather table). The weather has since returned to normal; warm days and cool nights. you can still get cold gear if you like.

1,601 to 1,650 of 4,080 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.