Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Hunger in the Darkness - Expedition to the Mines of Zolurket (Inactive)

Game Master Mark Sweetman

A desperate attempt to reclaim the ancestral Dwarvish mine of Tar-Urkatha from the darkness that has engulfed it....


901 to 950 of 2,477 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

"I agree, we should disguise this attack. However, it looks like the others are long run off. Do we fire the camp and make our way back to the hollow with the giant? We need to make sure this area is safe for a base camp, what is our next direction?"

Padrym goes over Magatha for nicks, knowing full well the metal is indestructible but it is a long built habit.


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Feigr grunts affirmatively in response, "Yeah, take the right ears, fire the camp, and let's take the good armor and spear." He looks back the way we came. "But, I think we follow the surviving gnolls and then see where the giant came from before returning to the hollow. We should be aggressive in clearing out any threats before the caravan returns so we can concentrate our energies on Zolurket."


Dwarf Transmuter 4 | AC 12 (14 w/MageArmor)/10/12 | HP 33/33 | F+4,R+2,W+5 | Init.+0 | Percept.+0 | SenseMotive +0

"Much better. Thank'ya ma'am," Dolgrym nods to the elf.

[b]"I agree that we should finish our investigation before heading to the mine. If we can clear out this rubbish, the caravan will be in much better shape, when they arrive."[b]


Male Dwarf Trapsmith Rogue
Cynara wrote:

"Of course."

"How is everyone else?"

After healing anyone else who needs it, Cynara will cut the right ears off of each gnoll, and (if appropriate) each hyena as well, regarding each grisly trophy with a somewhat quizzical air. "I'm not sure what exactly to do with these--thread them on a string and keep them with us for a while. It would ruin the effect we're trying to convey if we dumped them someplace obvious, I suppose."

"Just a scratch left but it will heal by morning. Thanks Bright Eyes." Love investigates the damage to his armor and finds it minimal.

"Toss the ears in the fire. The smoke will draw every carrion eater in thirty leagues. One more bit of charred meat will go unnoticed. just remember to leave a body or two sticking out so they can see the ears is gone."


Male Human Paladin /4 ]Hps 36/36 AC 23 FF 21 T 11 CMD 18 Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 Init +1 Per +0

"I am ready when you are, lets hunt down some more gnolls."


Primordial Ooze

Fickle Hand of Fate:
1d20 ⇒ 14

The group starts to track the gnolls, led by the nose of Nabo. The trail left by the remnant of the patrol is easy to pick up, and even those who are not trained in tracking can follow it. After an hour you pass the body of one of the injured gnolls - obviously having succumbed to the wounds it suffered. Pressing on it is late in the afternoon by the time Nabo grows warier. "Stink getting strong-close now."

You are still in a relatively flat area that is surounded by hill and mountain. Thus far the gnoll have kept to the flats, though the path ahead leads into a small copse of trees inbetween two hills. You'd gauge that the gnoll are probably holing up to rest...


|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

"Well done Nabo. If we press the attack now we'll have them. Their noses are probably as keen as Nabo's here, we should move quickly as a group and take them in the trees."


Male Human Paladin /4 ]Hps 36/36 AC 23 FF 21 T 11 CMD 18 Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 Init +1 Per +0

Khepri nods in agreement, "No time to waste. I am ready when the other are"


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Feigr stands with his fellows and peers out into the copse of trees. He raises his skin to his lips and takes a drink, "Aye, I'm ready. She's a priestess right? Two lines so we don't all get caught in one spell in case she has something cooked up for us? I don't like the idea of sending Love alone. Could be ready for us."


Primordial Ooze

Moving off the side of the path and towards the copse of trees, Nabo points to a briar patch just inside the outer edge of the treeline. "Nabo think-know dog men go there" nodding with internal confidence.

Hearing Perception DC 16:
There are some distant yips of hyena coming from the thicket.

The briars are reasonably thick on this side, so you'd gauge you can get reasonably close without alerting your quarry.


Male Human Paladin /4 ]Hps 36/36 AC 23 FF 21 T 11 CMD 18 Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 Init +1 Per +0

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 6


|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Padrym begins to look for a way into the brush.

Quick question, if I cast a touch spell now I can hold the charge indefinitely correct?


Primordial Ooze

Padrym and the others can see that the briars thin around to the left of the front edge you can see. The right side stays quite solid for what you can see.

Short answer is yes - though I'd rule that your hand is useless for anything else while holding it.
So you can, but then any future actions need to be cognizant that you're basically operating one-handed.


Female Elf ***INACTIVE*** Oracle (Life)/4 HP 28/28 AC 17/T 12/FF 14 Init +2 Perc +7 Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5/+7 vs. ench. effects

Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

"I have one more spell left for the day, which I'll use to bless the party just before combat starts."


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
One of Feigr's ancestors picks an inopportune moment to shout in his head. Gods damn it, quiet!


Dwarf Transmuter 4 | AC 12 (14 w/MageArmor)/10/12 | HP 33/33 | F+4,R+2,W+5 | Init.+0 | Percept.+0 | SenseMotive +0

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 12

"I only have a couple spells left myself, but I do have quite a neat trick that we might be able to exploit. I can breathe a gout of flame on my enemies (in a 15' cone), if we could find someone to rout them toward me, or alternatively, if we could sneak up on them. But, be careful, I could just as easily roast one of you, if you are in the blast area. Its' quite unpredictable."


Female Elf ***INACTIVE*** Oracle (Life)/4 HP 28/28 AC 17/T 12/FF 14 Init +2 Perc +7 Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5/+7 vs. ench. effects

Cynara raises an eyebrow at Dolgrym's admission. "You can breathe fire? A useful trick, that."


Male Dwarf Trapsmith Rogue

Love slips a few yards ahead and crouches holding his ear near the ground.

Hearing perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28.

"They are in there. I can hear the cats."

Returning to the group. "We could toss some oil and then let your indigestion go to work. That might give them a suprise. Mind you the priestess seems to be smart. She will likely sacrafice the cats and bolt as soon as she sees us."


Dwarf Transmuter 4 | AC 12 (14 w/MageArmor)/10/12 | HP 33/33 | F+4,R+2,W+5 | Init.+0 | Percept.+0 | SenseMotive +0

"Once I cast the spell, I can spout three bursts of fire, each getting smaller. It's pretty effective, but gives me a bit of gas, after, I must admit," the portly dwarf, says, rubbing his belly while thinking about it.


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Feigr softly chuckles at Dolgrym's words, "Ha, now wonder you haven't used it before! I'm going to call on the protection and guidance of my ancestors again once Dolgrym is ready to cast his spell."

Will cast Shield of Faith on himself once ready to go and will cast Guidance on Love.


|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

Per the clarification in the blog, Padrym will cast one of his Shocking Grasps in preparation for the fight, that way I can still carry my axe into the fight while having a charge ready. My readings of the rules seems to indicate that if I cast my spell and then us my axe two handed the next turn I can get the strength x1.5 bonus? Basically just looking for clarification before I make decisions that might slow down combat.

FAQ:

Can a magus use spellstrike (Ultimate Magic, page 10) to cast a touch spell, move, and make a melee attack with a weapon to deliver the touch spell, all in the same round?

Yes. Other than deploying the spell with a melee weapon attack instead of a melee touch attack, the magus spellstrike ability doesn’t change the normal rules for using touch spells in combat (Core Rulebook 185). So, just like casting a touch spell, a magus could use spellstrike to cast a touch spell, take a move toward an enemy, then (as a free action) make a melee attack with his weapon to deliver the spell.

On a related topic, the magus touching his held weapon doesn’t count as “touching anything or anyone” when determining if he discharges the spell. A magus could even use the spellstrike ability, miss with his melee attack to deliver the spell, be disarmed by an opponent (or drop the weapon voluntarily, for whatever reason), and still be holding the charge in his hand, just like a normal spellcaster. Furthermore, the weaponless magus could pick up a weapon (even that same weapon) with that hand without automatically discharging the spell, and then attempt to use the weapon to deliver the spell. However, if the magus touches anything other than a weapon with that hand (such as retrieving a potion), that discharges the spell as normal.

Basically, the spellstrike gives the magus more options when it comes to delivering touch spells; it’s not supposed to make it more difficult for the magus to use touch spells.


Female Elf ***INACTIVE*** Oracle (Life)/4 HP 28/28 AC 17/T 12/FF 14 Init +2 Perc +7 Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5/+7 vs. ench. effects

"One caution for you all: when you close with the priestess, kill her as quickly as you can, especially if you're already wounded. Over and above any spells she has, she'll be able to call forth negative energy to attack everyone close to her at once."


Primordial Ooze

Padrym - yeah, that sounds fine.

Just need an IC post for how you approach the briars and from which side.


|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

Padrym will begin making his way to the left, where the briars thin, his hand arcing with small bursts of electricity.

"I'll do my best with the priestess, Cynara."

Move to the thin part. My plan is to charge in and hit the Priestess as soon as I can, hopefully before the other beasties get a chance to react.


Male Dwarf Trapsmith Rogue

Love will stick close behind Padrym.

"Once we are through you and Khepri go straight for the priestess. I think I can help with the cats."

Ready alchemist's fire.


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Feigr follows Padrym and Love to the left, having cast Shield of Faith on himself and Guidance on Love.

Status:

AC 22, touch 12, flat-footed 22. . (+7 armor, +3 shield, +2 deflection)
hp 22/24 (0 temporary)
Spd 20 ft.
Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven +6+1 (1d10+3/20/x3) [Gnolls]
1st level spells 3/6 remain
Status Shield of Faith


Primordial Ooze

Drawing near to the briars you note that your vision through them is quite poor, but that doesn't affect your ears...

Hearing Perception DC15:
Apart from the yips you can hear labored breathing within, with the occasional whimper.

To the left side of the screening briars you can see that they get shorter and sparser, thinning out to a height and breadth that is able to be pushed through.

You're at the front of the briars, then they extend for 20ft around the corner before they thin out. You've not heard anything to suggest you've been noticed yet.


Female Elf ***INACTIVE*** Oracle (Life)/4 HP 28/28 AC 17/T 12/FF 14 Init +2 Perc +7 Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5/+7 vs. ench. effects

Hearing Perception check; 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

The tall elf whispers, "It sounds like they're still wounded."


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Feigr whispers in return, "Good, that will make them easier to kill. They showed no mercy on Solku and we should show no mercy on them. We can find out what they know, once they're dead. Assuming someone speaks gnoll of course."


Male Dwarf Trapsmith Rogue

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Love whispers: "Sounds like one of the cats."

Love readies and loads his crossbow. "Ready? Give me a bit to slip in and find a good seat before you start the show."

With that Love slips through the brambles making nary a sound.

[ooc]Stealth check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Dwarf Transmuter 4 | AC 12 (14 w/MageArmor)/10/12 | HP 33/33 | F+4,R+2,W+5 | Init.+0 | Percept.+0 | SenseMotive +0

Dolgrym will wait for the others to start the battle, then follow up, looking for a spot to direct any spells to support them.


Male Human Paladin /4 ]Hps 36/36 AC 23 FF 21 T 11 CMD 18 Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 Init +1 Per +0

Khepri moves up when it is time with sword and shield ready


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Feigr quietly awaits a sign from Love to move in.

Status:

AC 22, touch 12, flat-footed 22. . (+7 armor, +3 shield, +2 deflection)
hp 22/24 (0 temporary)
Spd 20 ft.
Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven +6+1 (1d10+3/20/x3) [Gnolls]
1st level spells 3/6 remain
Status Shield of Faith


Primordial Ooze

Love is able to stealthily slip around the corner and through the area where the briars are thinner. He sees that within the remaining gnolls and the priestess are slumped to resting on the other side of the bramble hedge from the party. The hyenas are a short distance away bellies on the ground panting heavily. They are awake, but not particularly alert.


Primordial Ooze

Framing the scene:
The party is on the South side of a 10ft thick briar hedge - thick enough that it isn't able to be seen or easily pushed through.
To the left side Love has stealthed forward about 20ft to where the brambles thin out and seen the above.
The gnolls are just on the other side of the hedge - 10ft as crow flies, but about 40ft going via the thin area of the brambles.
The hyena are further away, another 20ft from the gnolls and more distant than the thin area of the hedge.


Male Dwarf Trapsmith Rogue

Sorry, brain stuck in second. How far as the alchemical concoction flies our stalwart cracksman from the priestess?


Primordial Ooze

About 30ft


Primordial Ooze

Due to their tiredness and run you've got the 1st round drop on them. So don't feel a need to wait for Love - post up 1st round intent and I can fold that in with Love's sneaky action.


Dwarf Transmuter 4 | AC 12 (14 w/MageArmor)/10/12 | HP 33/33 | F+4,R+2,W+5 | Init.+0 | Percept.+0 | SenseMotive +0

Dolgrym casts his last defensive spell, improving his defense and follows his compatriots onto the battlefield.

Cast Shield spell.

Ac 14
HP 25/26


|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

Round 1

Status:

HP = 30
AC = 16/12/15
Speed = 20'
Weapon Equipped = Magatha
Arrows = 20/20
Arcane Pool = 2/3
Magus Spells Known (CL 3, 5 melee touch, 3 ranged touch):
1 (4/day) Shocking Grasp, True Strike (DC 13)
0 (at will) Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation (DC 12), Light
Status Effects = None

"Right then."

Padrym moves around the brambles and into the gnoll camp. As soon as he can he swings at the priestess.

I move up to 40' and get as close to the priestess as I can. Alternatively if there was a way to move through the brambles and still swing (even taking damage) I would opt for that, since it's important to take the priestess down.

Magatha Two Handed Power Attack Shocking Grasp
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 181d10 + 8 + 3d6 ⇒ (3) + 8 + (3, 1, 4) = 19


Male Human Paladin /4 ]Hps 36/36 AC 23 FF 21 T 11 CMD 18 Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 Init +1 Per +0

I'll move into the camp, double move. Once into the camp I will yell "Saranrae's fiery justice has come for you all"

Current Status:

HP 27/28
AC 24
Effects bless
Lay on Hands 4/day Used - [0]
Smite Evil (1/day) Used - [1]


Female Elf ***INACTIVE*** Oracle (Life)/4 HP 28/28 AC 17/T 12/FF 14 Init +2 Perc +7 Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5/+7 vs. ench. effects

Just before everyone charges, Cynara casts bless on the party, then moves in behind Khepri with her spear out. (Since she can move half again as fast as he can, I think she can keep up.)


Stats:
AC 20/10/20, HP 35/35, F+3 R+1 W+3, Init +0, Per -1

Round 1

Feigr rushes with the others into the gnoll position. Double move to try to get to one of the gnolls (not the priestess since I think others have her well-covered).

Attack if Charge Possible:

Attack 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 +2 if charge possible
Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Status:

AC 22, touch 12, flat-footed 22. . (+7 armor, +3 shield, +2 deflection) -2 if charge possible
hp 22/24 (0 temporary)
Spd 20 ft.
Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven +6+1+1 (1d10+3/20/x3) [Gnolls, Bless]
1st level spells 3/6 remain
Status Shield of Faith, Bless


Primordial Ooze

Feigr and Khepri rush around the hedgerow to move into the gnoll's place of rest.

Padrym attempts to force his way through the thick brush...
Bullrush: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
...coming out trailing twigs and leaves, but with enough momentum to bring Magatha down upon the priestess with crackling electricity playing out to end her fight before it began.

The gnolls, seeing their priestess cut low try in vain to surge past Feigr and Khepri - and are easily cut down. The hyena jump up from their place of rest and start to run once more.

Nice move by Padrym and rather than delay a while to play out the last couple of gnolls I've assumed they'd be cut down pretty easily.


Female Elf ***INACTIVE*** Oracle (Life)/4 HP 28/28 AC 17/T 12/FF 14 Init +2 Perc +7 Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5/+7 vs. ench. effects

Do the hyenas we killed earlier have collars?


Primordial Ooze

No collar - but they each had a distinctive brand on them similar to the gnolls, a burn under the foreleg.


Male Human Paladin /4 ]Hps 36/36 AC 23 FF 21 T 11 CMD 18 Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 Init +1 Per +0

"Nice move Padrym! That will be in a song some day!"


Dwarf Transmuter 4 | AC 12 (14 w/MageArmor)/10/12 | HP 33/33 | F+4,R+2,W+5 | Init.+0 | Percept.+0 | SenseMotive +0

Dolgrym casts Detect Magic and scours the scene for anything of value. "Very nicely done! Killing gnolls is quite good exercise. Might help make me lose of this belly," the Mage laughs to the others.


|| AC 20/T12/FF18 | HP 45/45 | F +6 R +4 W +8 | Init +5 | Perception +12 | Sense Motive +6 | Darkvision 90' || Dwarf (Deep Delver) Inquisitor 6

"Hah, that worked better than I could've hoped!"

Padrym picks a few twigs out of his hair.


Primordial Ooze

Dolgrym detects some weak magic coming from what seems to serve as the gnoll priestess' holy symbol. A collection of finger bones tied together at her neck. You also find some coin in her bag 50gp, and a well made morningstar at her belt loop. The other gnolls are dressed similarly to their brethren.

901 to 950 of 2,477 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hunger and Darkness - Reclaiming Tar-Urkatha All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.