Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Hmm's Gallows of Madness : Foul Breed

Game Master Hmm

Part of PBP Gameday VI!
Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts


1 to 50 of 439 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

Something wicked—and monstrous—stirs around the rugged Isgeri town of Saringallow, where the hated legacy of noble Chelish diabolists runs deep. With the recent disappearance of several apprentices, the nearby menace of particularly grotesque goblins, and the unsettling rumors about the old Sarini Estate, Mayor Sandra Trinelli knows that she needs help, and she needs it fast! The heroes must confront one of these crises, or all three, if they hope to stem the tide of darkness that looms.

★ ---- ★ ---- ★ ---- ★

Feel free to dot-and-delete for now!


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

"Tea, darlings?" Zarta Dralneen nods pleasantly at you as she bids you all to take seats in her office at the Grand Lodge. The infamous head of the Dark Achives grins as she studies you. "Don't worry, my tender morsels. Haven't you heard?" She raises an eyebrow. "I'm quite reformed. I don't bite... Unless you ask me, of course?" She flutters her eyelashes at Castiel, quite shamelessly.

Salacious novels and spellbooks vie for space on the bookshelves in this crowded office, but the velvet chairs are comfortable, if a little stiff. "So most of you are quite new to me. Why don't you take a moment to introduce yourselves? I'm curious to see who dear Ambrus assigned to me this time."

Grand Lodge

Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Wearing an armor made of marsh-leaves and lily-pads all bound together and hardened, sporting a leather glove with metal bars on his left hand, and with a bandolier across his chest that sheathes a couple wands and some glass vials, Prince is a young Grippli, a short frog-creature from the south, standing 1'9" tall (53 cm) for 27 pounds (12 kg).
Around his neck is a the spiral symbol of Pharasma, goddess of the Boneyard, and at his belt you see a pouch containing what is needed for spellcasting, as well as some dried insects, needed for snacking.
As Prince strides into the room on his small webbed feet, his long red cape flaps behind him, and his shiny crown sparkles on his head - but his many warts do not enhance this princely attire.
Jumping up onto the proffered seat, he smiles, and starts darting his 10 foot long tongue to lap at his tea.
"I am Prince, oh Mighty Dame Dralneen, an esteemed Cleric of Pharasma!", the grippli croaks, rolling his beady little eyes, with a toothless grin.
After he settles down, a slight stench of rotten wood and marsh-muck starts to emanate from Prince.

---PRINCE---

Grand Lodge

Female Phantom | Ectoplasmic Manifestation | 16/16 HP - DR5/slash | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | CMB +3 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +4 | R +1 | W +3 | Special effects:

From just outside the room, where those who entered after Prince saw a tall hulking female shape, made of green ectoplasmic goo, pressing her ear against the door to eavesdrop, while casting angry looks at everyone, comes a shout: "Esteemed my foot! Worthless frog! #$%@!"

---PRINCESS---

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

"And what of me, Miss Dralneen? Don't I just look scrumptious?" Choosing to stand rather than soil her pristine velvet chairs, a beast of a Half-Orc grins at Zarta from across the room. The skin of his powerful frame is gray and rubbery like an eel's, and his heavy boots plod with loud *THUDS* when he crosses the room to admire her collection of literature. Beneath his chin a squirming, writhing mass of small tentacles swings with each step, creating a beard of twisting flesh. "A lecherous collection of books fit only for depraved souls." He smiles, his feelers curling slightly in tandem. "Perfect for ol' Wetbeard."

His cerulean hide armor is adorned with various bits and bobs collected throughout his travels, mostly small colored stones, feathers, shells, and pieces of dyed metal. Over his armor he wears an outfit similar to those of sailors, with heavy azure pants tucked into tall beige boots and a long, olive, open-faced coat around his body. Completing the ensemble is a brown, weathered tricorn hat sitting atop his head like a crown jewel. Across his back a wickedly sharp Falchion rests, and strapped to his side a large quiver housing a handful of small, thin spears gently sways.

The pirate walks over to the table where the tea is offered, picking up the small cup with tender care. "Ya thirsty girl?" His question at first seems directed at no one, but from underneath his armor a bulging, melon-sized growth of flesh travels from inside his clothes and up to his exposed chest. As the bulbous tumor comes to a stop, a pair of sickly yellow eyes opens up from it, darting wildly around the room. Wetbeard grumbles out, "C'mon lass, open up," and on command the lump opens up, revealing rows of small, gnarled teeth. Wetbeard empties the contents of his teacup into her mouth before giving her a loving pat and shooing her back into his armor."Alright now Wanda, back to bed. Don't want to scare our new friends too bad now."

After the bizarre display, Wetbeard returns to his spot in the room, still grinning at Zarta. "The name's Wetbeard, Miss Dralneen. The pleasure is mine."

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 19/19 | AC: 16/12/14 | CMD: 15 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Speed: 35' | Perception: +1 (+2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision; Scent) | Init: +2
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 2 | HP: 15/18 | AC: 20/12/19 | CMD: 14 | F: +4, R: +1, W: -1 | Spd: 20' | Per: +6 (+2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision) | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Wand CLW 47/50

I always forget how tiny Grippli are! It's not often that Braggett towers over another member of the party :)

Lord Braggett stares in wide-eyed horror as Wetbeard supplies his tumorous growth with tea. However, the chivalrous nature of the blue haired gnome shines through, and he only gags just a little bit "Do you require a towel Sir? For your wet beard, that is. I'm sure my trusty steed, Sir Kibble, has one in his saddlebags." He says, indicating the large shaggy grey wolf resting in the corner of the room. The wolf lifts his head when his name is called and a long tongue flops out his mouth *Arf?*.

The confident little gnome gives a small bow to Prince "Your grace." And then a slightly smaller one to Zarta "My Lady, it is an honour to make your acquaintance. I am Lord Braggett Fizzlebotham the IV, perhaps you have heard of my many heroic exploits. Why, only a few days ago, I bravely uncovered the presence of a possessed doll that had infiltrated the Flaxseed Lodge... Needless to say, my conduct regarding the cursed toy will not soon be forgotten by those who saw me!" He takes a cup of tea and takes a small sip, making sure to keep his pinky finger in the air "Whatever task you require of us, you can rest assured that a fully trained knight of my calibre will be able to accomplish it with ease and valour!" The heavily armed knight stands proudly beside one of the chairs with his cup of tea in one hand, and the other resting in the small of his back. The finest Taldorian noble clothes he is wearing have only been out of fashion for a few decades, his perfectly shiny steel breastplate is only a little dented, and his blue streaked beard is only a little frazzled.

Grand Lodge

Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Prince is quite afraid of Wetbeard at first, wondering: What do squid-people eat, frogs? Does he see me as a frog?, but then calms down upon seeing that he feeds tea to some mouth in his flank.
Then he gets afraid again upon seeing the big-mouthed wolf, but the "Your Grace" washes all fear away, and Prince puffs his chest up.

Paizo Employee

Male Oread Druid (leshy warden) 1 | hp 9/9 | Init +1 | Perc +8 (+10 stonework) | SM +3 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | CMB +4 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +3 | R +1 | W +5

A stout, bald oread with sandstone skin stands awkwardly in the corner of the room. He is wearing green dragonhide armor, with holes on each of his shoulders to made room for the pair of barrel cacti that sprout from his skin.

A bipedal plant creature of about half his height stands beside him. She wears a cloak and armor made of oak leaves and an acorn cap.

The plant creature gently nudges the oread forward, and the oread speaks, saying simply "I'm Kragrak." He seem to be more interested in listening to his fellow Pathfinders and figuring out what is going on underneath Wetbeard's armor than he is in speaking about himself.

Paizo Employee

Female Leaf Leshy | hp 4/4 | Init +1 | Perc +1 | SM +1 | AC 13 T 12 FF 12 | CMB -3 CMD 8 FF CMD 7 | F +3 | R +1 | W +3

The plant creature sighs with exasperation and turns to Zarta, "Please forgive him, my lady. Kragrak is a good fellow, really, but he's not much one for talking. My name is Oak Sprout, and I am Kragrak's loyal companion. This body is only a few years old, but in truth, I am an ancient spirit of nature, blessed with great knowledge. I'm certain you all will be glad to have me along. And, my lady, as to your generous offer, I would be happy to have some tea, so long as you don't mind me pouring it into a saucer so it can absorb better through my roots."

She then turns her attention back to Kragrak, "Come on, Kragrak, at least take a seat at the table and tell them a *little* more about yourself."

Paizo Employee

Male Oread Druid (leshy warden) 1 | hp 9/9 | Init +1 | Perc +8 (+10 stonework) | SM +3 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | CMB +4 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +3 | R +1 | W +5

Kragrak slowly takes a seat at the table. He takes a long sip of tea before addressing Zarta in a low, gravelly voice, "I'm from Osirion. I like nature. Sprout follows me around. Not as interesting as these other folk. Y'should probably ask about Wanda. Or the cursing lady outside. Or the possessed doll. Or the frog prince."

Grand Lodge

M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

Wetbeard lets out a boisterous laugh when Kragrak finishes, then walks over beside the small Grippli. "Speaking of the cursing wench, what's the story about the she-beastie out there?" He leans closer to the frog, whispering quietly behind a mischievous grin.

"She's a beauty that one, don't suppose she's looking for a he-beastie?"


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

"You wish to be scrumptious too, Wetbeard? You're not lacking in a certain exotic appeal," Zarta says amused. But when the Leshy comes in, she kneels down. Offering tea in a saucer, she watches raptly as Sprout drinks it up by the roots. Not the type to coo over puppies, still Zarta can't help but look at the adorable leshy.

"Well, it seems that dearest Ambrus has an unexpected sense of humor." Her lidded gaze shifts to study the tentacled half-orc with the tumorous familiar, the frog-shaped mass of ectoplasm, the Oread, and finally the silver-skinned aasimar standing so straight, silent and disapproving. Then she laughs. It's a very human sound, and makes her far less imposing. "Oh my. I ask for a team to do a quiet little investigation in Isger, and he sends me the most exotic-looking group that I have seen at one of my briefings."

She turns to Lord Braggett. "My dear, how did you ever slip in? You look perfectly normal! Ambrus must not be aware that Saringallow has such a large gnomish population."

Then she pauses, her face suddenly clouding. "Which brings us back to the briefing. There's been some sort of missing persons case in Saringallow. A bunch of apprentices have gone astray, and their Mayor, Sandra Trinelli, called the Society for help." Zarta taps her fingers on the arm of the chair. "Normally this isn't my sort of mission... but I have a personal stake here. One of the people who is frantic about her missing apprentice is an old school friend of mine. But I did things when I headed the Cheliax faction that I'm not proud of, and she's Isgeri to the core."

Zarta glances down, and takes a deep breath.

"I made a mistake, hurt someone I shouldn't have, and want to make amends. Her name is Majara Pricknettle. I want you to find this child she's lost. Oh, and all the others too while you're at it. And I want you to tell her that I'm sorry. Do you have any questions for me?"

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Phantom | Ectoplasmic Manifestation | 16/16 HP - DR5/slash | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | CMB +3 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +4 | R +1 | W +3 | Special effects:

A muffled cry comes from outside the door: "Someone else should say they're sorry!".

Grand Lodge

Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Prince was about to answer Wetbeard when Zarta spoke up.
After her talk, he jumps off his seat and speaks loudly to cover other voices up: "Majara Pricknettle. Get her kid back. And the other ones too. Fine! Let's be off... oh, where's this Isger?".

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 19/19 | AC: 16/12/14 | CMD: 15 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Speed: 35' | Perception: +1 (+2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision; Scent) | Init: +2
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 2 | HP: 15/18 | AC: 20/12/19 | CMD: 14 | F: +4, R: +1, W: -1 | Spd: 20' | Per: +6 (+2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision) | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Wand CLW 47/50

"I am far from normal, my lady, I assure you..." Lord Braggett says, puffing out his chest "But I must humbly admit that I am perfect, as you say." He takes another sip of tea, contemplating the mission ahead when Prince jumps up "Ha! I admire your grace's gusto, but I have a question if I may." He places his cup back down on the table and addresses Zarta "All of these apprentices... Were they from the same school, or whatever? How long have they been missing? And did Pricknettle check her liqueur cabinet? It's a long way to Isger if the kids are just on a kegger."

Paizo Employee

Male Oread Druid (leshy warden) 1 | hp 9/9 | Init +1 | Perc +8 (+10 stonework) | SM +3 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | CMB +4 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +3 | R +1 | W +5

Kragrak nods approvingly at Prince's enthusiasm. His expression takes on a focused intensity as he ponders the details of the assignment.
"Missing children? I'dn't care if this isn't a usual mission. They need help. We can help. What are the names of all of the children? And their last known whereabouts."

Paizo Employee

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Leaf Leshy | hp 4/4 | Init +1 | Perc +1 | SM +1 | AC 13 T 12 FF 12 | CMB -3 CMD 8 FF CMD 7 | F +3 | R +1 | W +3

Oak Sprout turns to Lord Braggett, smiling impishly, "Having a fine beard and polished pinky-etiquette doesn't make you perfect. Is that why your name is Lord *Brag*-gett?"

Paizo Employee Developer

Kragrak shuffles awkwardly, chiding his companion, "Not now, Sprout." He bows slightly to Lord Braggett. "Sorry. That was rude."

Grand Lodge

M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

Wetbeard grins in approval, feelers twitching. "The little onion has some sass to 'er, I like it!" He laughs and slaps a hand to the leshy's back, nearly bowling the small plant over.

"A better question might be what types of beasties to prepare for. Any clues on what the dangers may be?"


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

"Where is Isger? What are they teaching Pathfinders these days?" She raises an eyebrow. "I would love to spend time educating you in detail, but alas we don't have the time.."

She weaves a silent image, projecting a map of Isger on the wall.

SLIDE TWO of the Map (this link is also in my header.)

"You can see Isger and Saringallow here. Because time may be of the essence, I will be arranging for a teleport. Not hard to arrange, considering how many of the Society's mages owe me favors and allegiance." Then she smiles grimly. "And because they're a suspicious lot, I am having you dropped several miles out of town, so that you can walk in with no one knowing you used arcane magic to get there."

"I don't know the names of the apprentices or their habits... The Mayor can brief all of you when you arrive. If you're lucky and they went on a kegger, this will be a nice short mission for all of you. However... this is Isger, and Majara is not one to call for help lightly. If she's making a fuss, you can bet there's something more to this."

Grand Lodge

M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

Wetbeard adjusts his coat, doing a once over on his gear. "If you believe that there's something more to it, that's enough for me." He takes a deep breath, then exhales sharply and shakes his head, tentacles swinging. "Best to get out of here before too long then, don't want the poor kiddos dying of fright before we save 'em." Wetbeard gives Zarta a final grin. "Anything else for us before we go?"

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male N human slayer (witch killer) 1 | hp 10/12 | AC 17, t:12 f:15 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1 | Init: +4 | Perception +5 | Spd 20ft | Step Up- 10ft as immediate | Conditions: None

The dark haired man in black scale mail scowls at the mention of magically assisted travel.

Grand Lodge

Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

"It would be good to know the names and all, for me at least: I have trouble determining age among towering humans... their toddlers are taller than me!".

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 19/19 | AC: 16/12/14 | CMD: 15 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Speed: 35' | Perception: +1 (+2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision; Scent) | Init: +2
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 2 | HP: 15/18 | AC: 20/12/19 | CMD: 14 | F: +4, R: +1, W: -1 | Spd: 20' | Per: +6 (+2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision) | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Wand CLW 47/50

"I don't know what you're talking about..." Braggett harrumphs in response to Oak Sprout "I never brag, I was just agreeing with what Lady Zarta said..." Still, being the noble gentleman that he is, he graciously accepts Kragrak's apology on behalf of Sprout, and only grumbles a little bit "...At least I don't stand in my tea..." he mumbles quietly, looking down and shuffling his feet.

When Zarta projects the map, Lord Braggett perks up again "Ha! A few miles out of town is no problem! Sir Kibble could use the exercise, couldn't you boy?" He says as he turns around to face mighty steed. The shaggy wolf just sighs and lays it's head back down on his paws "Yes... Well, worry not, my Lady! Whatever the cause of their disappearance, we shall find these apprentices and return them safely." He bows at Zarta "You have my word as a Knight and a Gentleman."

Paizo Employee

Male Oread Druid (leshy warden) 1 | hp 9/9 | Init +1 | Perc +8 (+10 stonework) | SM +3 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | CMB +4 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +3 | R +1 | W +5

Kragrak cracks a small, commiserating smile at Prince, "Human age is hard. They call 60 old?"

Dark Archive

Male N human slayer (witch killer) 1 | hp 10/12 | AC 17, t:12 f:15 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1 | Init: +4 | Perception +5 | Spd 20ft | Step Up- 10ft as immediate | Conditions: None

Zakhar snorts, "Yes, Kragrak. Sixty years is old of age for a human- an elder to be respected." He nods at sprout, "I did not expect an ancient nature spirit to be so..." he trails off, "talkative."

Still, the companion to such a creature must be quite powerful in his own right. Odd fellow, but the two should prove useful.

He looks around at the assorted group and sighs.

"Best we be off."


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

Let's Find Out What You Know Before You Go!

What do you know about Isger and Saringallow?

Knowledge Local, Geography or Diplomacy DC 10:
Isger is a vassal state of Cheliax, and chafes under the Cheliaxian yoke.

Knowledge Local, Geography or Diplomacy, DC 15:
Cheliax views Isger not so much a sovereign nation but as a glorified trade route. As a region, Isger has had horrid luck... Exploited resources, the Goblinblood Wars, alien invasions... Despite all this, the residents of Isger are a pragmatic and tough lot. Taking their oppression in stride, they’ve settled for small and quiet acts of rebellion. Smuggling is the national pasttime in Isger, and they revel in trading things banned by Cheliax.

Knowledge Local, Geography or Diplomacy 18:
Saringallow’s great wall and determined armed population allowed it to withstand not only the worst of the Goblinblood Wars, but also to provide refuge to people from nearby communities. In addition to humans, it has a large gnomish population because it sheltered the gnomish village of Umok during the war. The wall gave the town the confidence to declare independence from Cheliax. Busy with other things, Cheliax has failed to retaliate... yet.

Knowledge Local, Geography or Diplomacy 20:
The residents of Saringallow are notoriously suspicious of anything that reeks of Chelish diabolism. They proudly burn witches at the stake and dislike displays of arcane magic. Divine magic and alchemy are fine and trusted.

What do you know about the History of Isger and Saringallow?

Knowledge History, DC 10:
A mere 20 years ago, the Goblinblood Wars erupted from the Chitterwood Forest. Hundreds of goblins laid waste to everything in their path, burning towns to the ground and killing everyone they could find. This horrid memory of this lies fresh in the minds of most Isgeri.

Knowledge History, DC 15:
Rich in natural resources such as iron and lumber, Isger was conquered first by Taldor and later by Cheliax. None of its conquerors have treated it well, and so most Isgeri have delighted in quiet forms of protest: smuggling and failing to remember or notice Chelish law if there is no one else around to enforce it.

Knowledge History, DC 20:
The town was founded as a garden estate by the noble Chelish Sarini family long ago. They named it Sarini's Hollow and brought in peasants to maintain and farm the land and to act as servants for the more influential members of the noble house. When these nobles began dabbling in diabolism and witchcraft, the local populace became concerned, but when virgin daughters began to be found drained of all blood, the peasants rebelled and hanged all the Sarinis. They renamed the town Sarini Gallows, but over the following century the name evolved into its current form. Chelish nobles are still treated with great suspicion in Saringallow, and any members of House Sarini relocating there are quickly convinced to find a new place to live.


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

Castiel, feel free to retrospectively post your introduction. We'll get you caught up soon!

One of Zarta's wizards offers you teleport to the plains outside Saringallow.

BAMF!

The waving grass is golden, and some of the leaves are just starting to turn colors. If you didn't know the history of this place, you would see its rolling hills as tranquil and peaceful. From one of the hills you come see the layout of the entire town.

SLIDE THREE

Finally you come to the walls of the city. Two well armed guards look down at you from a tower. One of them does a double-take as he sees you. "Ed, look at those freaks! Are the green ones some sort a gob, do you think?" Though whispered, his comment carries right to you.

Ed, who looks middle aged but sturdy, stands up straight. "Halt! Who are you weirdos? State your business with the independent City-State of Saringallow!

Dark Archive

Male N human slayer (witch killer) 1 | hp 10/12 | AC 17, t:12 f:15 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1 | Init: +4 | Perception +5 | Spd 20ft | Step Up- 10ft as immediate | Conditions: None

Zakhar steps forward to greet the men, "Hail! My name is Zakhar Vunderbain. My companions and I were sent for by the mayor to assist in an investigation."

Grand Lodge

M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

Wetbeard looks up at the men, then back at his group. "Ain't the best with words, and these sods seem spooked already. Don't need the squidman scaring them more."

Wetbeard steps back, making room for the more diplomatically inclined to speak with the guards.

Grand Lodge

Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Before leaving, Prince lifts his crown and rubs his bald frog-head with a webbed hand, trying to remember something his tutors tried to teach him...
Knowl' Local: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (1) - 2 = -1 - Knowl' History: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (6) - 2 = 4
...but he was always better at catching flies than the drift of what the tutor was going on about.
He just shrugs.

***

Having no idea of the history of this place, Prince sees its rolling hills as tranquil and peaceful, and is happy to look at the town.

When the very impolite guards call out about freaks, Prince turns around and glares at Princess: "See, they take you for a Goblin! My dear lady, you must really let go and slip into the Beyond".
Turning back to the guards, he... has no idea what to say, and so lets the others speak.

Grand Lodge

Female Phantom | Ectoplasmic Manifestation | 16/16 HP - DR5/slash | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | CMB +3 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +4 | R +1 | W +3 | Special effects:

"You the Goblin, Freak!" Princess angrily hisses at Prince.

Paizo Employee Director of Technology

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Stepping forward with concern and disbelief at the attitude of the guards ... "Please Sirs, my name is Castiel Silverskin, My companions and I are here on a task of up most importance. We have been sent by Zarta Dralneen to aid in the investigation of missing apprentices and would appreciate if you would let us into the city to find out any information on their location."


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

“Who’s Zarta Dralneen?” Non-Ed whispers.

Ed snarls. “Quiet, Picket! I’m askin’ the questions round here! Right? Right then.” He clears his throat. “Who’s Zarta Dralneen?”

Still, something about Castiel’s forthright manner strikes a chord in Ed. “Though... the Mayor did say she was expecting folks,” he admits. “Look, Zack and Cas... How do I know you’re really here for the Mayor?”

“Yeah,” said Pickett. “They’s could be goblins in disguise, like.”

Ed gives Pickett a dope slap to the back of the head. “Goblins don’t have silver skin and speak all civil. They’s not Gobs! I fought them in the war, and I know!” Then he turns back to you. “Well?”

Grand Lodge

M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

Assuming this will end up in a Diplomacy check from someone, consider this to whomever attempts it. If there isn't one, just consider it conversation.

Wetbeard takes a step forward, doing his best to appear official.

"Aye, we might seem like a ragtag bunch but we're here to help some people in trouble. They don't have the fat cats do any of the hard work, now do they? That falls on the hard-working men," Wetbeard motions back at the group, then up at the guards. "Like us, and you."

Aid Another, Diplomacy: 1d20 - 7 ⇒ (9) - 7 = 2

Dang it.

Grand Lodge

Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Diplomacy Aid Another: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12

"As the wise battle-hardened veteran knows," says Prince, nodding to Pickett, "Goblins do not look like us and we do not look like the Goblins we are not. They have far less warts. I also feel Goblins would never dare approach such stalwart guards at all. As for how to know we’re really here for the Mayor, maybe ask her for she will tell you we are, and be so happy you called her to see us that a promotion might come of it."

Sovereign Court

Sir Kibble:
HP: 19/19 | AC: 16/12/14 | CMD: 15 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Speed: 35' | Perception: +1 (+2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision; Scent) | Init: +2
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 2 | HP: 15/18 | AC: 20/12/19 | CMD: 14 | F: +4, R: +1, W: -1 | Spd: 20' | Per: +6 (+2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision) | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Wand CLW 47/50

Diplomacy, Knowledge Gathering: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Know. History: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

"Goblins hear my name and quake with fear!" Lord Braggett says confidently, certain that the weirdo remarks were directed at his companions and not him "My name is Lord Braggett Fizzlebotham the fourth, and you need not fear my travelling companions..." He regards them for a moment from the back of his mighty steed, Sir Kibble "Yes, well... As odd as they may be, they are here to help. Let us through, and you will be able to rest easy at night. Safe in the knowledge that a Taldane Knight walks among you! You may call for the mayor, as his grace suggests, but precious time is wasting and the trail is growing colder. You must act swiftly, for the sake of the children!"

Diplomacy; Aid Another Bonus: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 2 = 28


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

Ed laughs. “A noble, huh? We don’t rightly take much to nobles here. Hung ours in the old gallows, and good riddance to the lot of them.” Ed says this in an almost kindly tone; there’s no heat or hostility in it. “If I were you, Lord Braggart, I’d keep that fancy title to myself or risk getting overcharged and snubbed at every shop.”

He rubs his beard. “Still, most of what you say makes sense, and you have a trustworthy way about you... Right, then.” Ed pauses a moment, grinning. “Well, there’s at least this to be said for the lot of you... You stand out. So if you cause trouble, I’ll hear of it first thing and give you what for!”

Cheered by this thought, Ed opens the gate and lets you enter. “Welcome to Saringallow. Town hall’s that way. Can’t miss it, it’s the tallest building in town, ‘ceptin the Temple of Erastil.”

Within the walls, Saringallow’s a surprisingly pretty town, filled with neat brick houses and pretty little shops. The Conerica River sweeps past the docks, and it’s obvious that this town does a roaring river trade. You do get a lot of stares as you walk past the citizens, who stare at you open-mouthed. The townfolk are mostly human, but you do see a large number of gnomes as well.

★ ---- ★ ---- ★ ---- ★

Finally, you reach the 4 story Town Hall, which has a sign in front of it that reads:

    SARINI TOWNHOUSE

    Saringallow Townhall

Inside, a gnome with green glasses leaps up from her desk to greet you. “You must be the investigators we’re expecting! Holly Queryquill at your service! You must be famished from your journey... Will you be taking tea? Sandwiches?” She leads you upstairs. “Mayor Trinelli! Your visitors are here!”

The plush red carpet and oak furniture upholstered with velvet lend this room an air of comfort, but it's also clearly a place of official business, with several layers of administrative papers, staff memos, maps, and charts covering the wide surface of the solid desk in the center. From her tall-backed chair behind her desk, Mayor Sandra Trinelli looks up, shaking herself out of a deep concentration as Holly brings in the tea and some thick cheese sandwiches made with astoundingly good hearty bread.

A subtle look of relief flashes across the Mayor’s face as she motions to the oversized chairs in front of her. “Normally, I'd exchange more pleasantries with my guests, but I fear there is no time,” she says. “The business that brought you here is quite urgent—it may actually be a matter of life and death.”

She takes a deep breath. “Let me explain. You may have heard that several young apprentices from various establishments in Saringallow have disappeared in the last couple of weeks. Every one of them has failed to show up to work, and nobody seems to know where they've gone.”

Then the Mayor gets a very unhappy look on her face. “That's not all. Rumors are spreading about sightings of enormous insects roaming about town. So far, the townspeople have chalked up such rumors to overactive imaginations, but I fear they might be real, and that they might have something to do with the missing apprentices. I have no proof that the situations are connected, but if folks get that notion into their heads, things are bound to spiral out of control.”

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Hung the nobles from the old gallows?, Prince thinks, shuddering, but then he smiles as he realizes that Princes are above nobility, being Royals!

Later, having bowed deep to the Lady Mayor, Prince's eyes suddenly pop open as wide as the saucers of the tea that was served.
"Enormous insects?!", he gasps. "That is heaven!", and he flicks out his ten foot long tongue.
"We shall rid you of any such fine morsels... and return the apprentices. The only spiral we wish to have here is the one of Pharasma, and only when sweet old age comes".


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

“EEEEK!” The Mayor jumps, avoiding the ten foot tongue, before taking a deep breath and recollecting herself. “Please, I implore you to look into this matter quietly and thoroughly—find out where our apprentices have gone and discover the cause of our vermin problem. Don't jump to conclusions until you have investigated every possible angle; we need to be absolutely sure that we know who or what is responsible before we take any necessary law-enforcement actions.”

She eyes all of you for a moment to make sure the message has sunk in.

“I suggest you start by interviewing the masters of every missing apprentice on this list I've compiled.”

LIST ON SLIDE FOUR

“I suspect that, collectively, they might shed some light on the youngsters' whereabouts. That could in turn illuminate our vermin problem, but until we have more information, I caution you against suggesting to anyone that the two situations are connected. Beyond that, though, you have my full cooperation in this matter. If anyone gives you guff about your line of questioning, show them this letter.” The mayor pushes a scrap of paper with several names scribbled on it across her desk, as well as a rolled-up, ribbon-bound letter written on thick parchment.

LETTER ON SLIDE FIVE

“As far as an incentive,” the mayor says, “I've pooled together 50 gold pieces as a reward for each apprentice you manage to find and rescue, as well as an additional 100 gold pieces if you can determine the cause of our vermin problem—and eliminate it. Do we have a deal?”

Dark Archive

Male N human slayer (witch killer) 1 | hp 10/12 | AC 17, t:12 f:15 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1 | Init: +4 | Perception +5 | Spd 20ft | Step Up- 10ft as immediate | Conditions: None

"I believe we do, Madam Mayor." Zakhar looks over the list of apprentices and nods.

Witch's End, huh. I expect they keep a good fire in their hearth.

Outside
"Shall we visit Ms. Pricknettle to convey Zarta's apologies? She might prove the most willing to aid us." he says folding up the scrap of paper.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 19/19 | AC: 16/12/14 | CMD: 15 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Speed: 35' | Perception: +1 (+2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision; Scent) | Init: +2
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 2 | HP: 15/18 | AC: 20/12/19 | CMD: 14 | F: +4, R: +1, W: -1 | Spd: 20' | Per: +6 (+2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision) | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Wand CLW 47/50

"Excellent idea, young man!" Lord Braggett says, the Knight has been a little quieter than usual after hearing what happened to all the nobles, and keeps looking over his shoulder. However, the news of giant insects excites him almost as much as Prince "Yes, and if these insects prove too large for his grace's impressive tongue, I shall valiantly charge the beasts, and cut them down to size." He smiles widely, thinking of how glorious it would be.

This is quite tricky on a phone. I may be a little more terse than usual until Friday. In the meantime, Braggett keeps tugging at his collar and is unable to concentrate on the task at hand. ;)

Paizo Employee

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Oread Druid (leshy warden) 1 | hp 9/9 | Init +1 | Perc +8 (+10 stonework) | SM +3 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | CMB +4 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +3 | R +1 | W +5

Kragrak hesitates in the back of the room at first. He tilts his head to the right, scratching his cheek against the spines of the cactus sprouting from his right shoulder. A loose pebble separates from his skin and clatters onto the floor. With the pesky pebble dislodged, he sighs with relief and takes his place at the table.

He replies to the mayor, his clipped phrases dragging out at around half the speed of most people’s speech. “I’m Kragrak. Nice to meet you, Mayor. Thanks for the food." He stops to look over the list of missing apprentices. "Your information is thorough. We’ll find what happened and help the kids. No unnecessary violence." Kragrak frowns. "Also, big vermin sound dangerous. Disease and all that. What kind of vermin are they? Ticks? Flies?”

Grand Lodge

M CN Half-Orc Bloodrager 1 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 17/Touch: 12/Flat: 15 | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +7, R: +4, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perception +8 (6 Without Sight), Sense Motive +2 | Low-Light Vision

"Whatever they are, I'm sure a couple o' bugs aren't anything we can't handle." Wetbeard grins, his feelers dancing in excitement. "Sounds like it'll be fun. In the meantime, better go see what the masters have in store for us." Wetbeard gives the mayor a playful wink and guffaws, tentacles bouncing. "May they all be so beautiful as you, Miss Mayor."

Paizo Employee

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Leaf Leshy | hp 4/4 | Init +1 | Perc +1 | SM +1 | AC 13 T 12 FF 12 | CMB -3 CMD 8 FF CMD 7 | F +3 | R +1 | W +3

Rolls about Saringallow
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8

Oak Sprout enthusiastically requests tea. She selects a seat across from Lord Braggart, flashing him a smile. Instead of discretely enjoying it from a saucer on the floor, this time she directly stands in the teacup. "This tea is delicious, Holly! Thank you so much for brewing it for us. Oh, and Wetbeard, does Wanda want some? I wouldn't want her to feel left out."

The leshy makes a sound reminiscent of clearing a throat, though it sounds a bit distorted and squishy, as the structure of her throat is far different from a human's. "We shall do our best, Madam Mayor, to find and help the apprentices. I've heard that you've had your fair share of troubles around here, even before these recent issues. I know we're not the kind of people you are used to, but don't be scared. We are good at what we do."

Paizo Employee Director of Technology

Sitting in the corner away from others and observing the conversation with the Mayor, Castiels thinks the discussion is important but his gut tells himself there is more to this story then meets the eye. “Be we here ta investigate what happened ta tha apprentices or find tha cause of tha vermin? We nae be here ta enforce a laws but if people have been hurt, we shou' do what be necessary for it nae ta happen again”.

Mr. Mayer… We will look into resolving what we can. Who enforces your laws here. We should have a discussion with them..

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Grippli | Spiritualist 2 | 21/21 HP | Init +3 | Perc +11 | SM +9 | AC 17 T 14 FF 14 | CMB -3 CMD 10 FF CMD 7 | F +7 | R +4 | W +9 | Special effects:

Hearing the pebble clatter onto the floor, Prince looks over, and with a Tssk! he flicks his tongue out, the end grabbing the pebble and bringing it back to Prince, who takes it to put some waste basket and keep the floor clean.

Paizo Employee

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Oread Druid (leshy warden) 1 | hp 9/9 | Init +1 | Perc +8 (+10 stonework) | SM +3 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | CMB +4 CMD 15 FF CMD 14 | F +3 | R +1 | W +5

"Agreed, Wetbeard. Dangerous to locals' health. Not dangerous to us." Upon seeing Prince collect the pebble, Kragrak shuffles awkwardly and mutters, "Sorry, shoulda picked that up myself. Was hoping no one would notice."

Paizo Employee

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Leaf Leshy | hp 4/4 | Init +1 | Perc +1 | SM +1 | AC 13 T 12 FF 12 | CMB -3 CMD 8 FF CMD 7 | F +3 | R +1 | W +3

Oak Sprout's reaction to Prince is quite different than Kragrak's. "Woohoo that was cool! I'm looking forward to watching you catch the bugs now!"


"Doom Girl" Venture Captain, Play-by-Post // PbP EventsPbP Gameday Games // PbP GM Kit // Gallows of Madness Maps & Handouts // True Dragons

Holly is ecstatic as she looks you all over. “No bleaching for me today!” The little gnome says happily, as she watches tongues fly, leshies soak and pebbles bounce along the floor. She cleans up the dishes, pleased with the lot of you.

The mayor is more wide-eyed and subdued. “Well, good luck to you. Find us our children and our answers.”

★ --- ★ --- ★ --- ★

Pricknettle’s Potions and Poultices is a neat little shop with big glass windows and wide selection of potions and other alchemical creations on neatly labeled shelves. The bell rings as you come in, and when you step inside, the shop appears unoccupied.

Then you hear it.

Squeak! Crank! Squeak! Crank! Squeak! Crank! Squeak!

“One moment, please...” comes a pleasant female voice from behind the counter. The squeaking and cranking noises continue until you see her, pumping a lever to make her chair rise to the top of the counter. “Ah! That’s better!” The Proprietress is a well-dressed blue haired gnome, with sharp and interested eyes.

“Ah, you’re travelers! Are you discreet folks of business, seeking some potions of invisibility in order to faclilitate the deliveries of your goods? Or perhaps looking for something in the more protective line of potions? Maybe seeking vermin repellant? Oddly, I seem to be selling quite a bit of that lately.”

1 to 50 of 439 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hmm's Gallows of Madness : Foul Breed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.