Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Hideouts & Hoodlums: Justice Society of America

Game Master Scottenkainen

Join the Justice Society of America in May 1941 as they campaign against the mysterious Mr. X, the criminal underworld, and the supernatural!


201 to 250 of 1,271 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

The Sandman has a pair of handcuffs in the trunk of his car, but they are a half-block away. For now, he can improvise rope by using the sleeves of these men's jackets.

As soon as he has Flame Farmer bound, Flash and Sandman start alternating in slapping him awake.

"Huh? Wha?" the man known as Flame Farmer says groggily. "Whuzzat? Ahhh!" he shouts in alarm as he finally notices three grim Heroes standing over him. "Wh-what are you gunna do to me?"

((Congrats to Sandman for our 200th post!))


Male Human Speedster/7

Flash simply stands with his arms crossed, smiling confidently. He figures Sandman may have a better chance of scaring the truth out of Flame Farmer.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

"Do yer' worst," Flame Farmer says defiantly. "I ain't scared of you long underwear types."


Male Human Mysteryman 8

The Sandman grabs the Flame Farmer and roughs him up a bit, throwing him against a nearby dumpster. "You're right, you shouldn't be afraid of those long underwear types." He gestures to the Flash and Hourman. "They've got images to uphold. But you'll remember me in your nightmares. Talk. Now."

Obviously trying to be intimidating. I'm off on a trip for the weekend, so feel free to use the Sandman however you see fit in the meantime.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Thought it would have been more satisfying to throw him against a dumpster, being nowhere near an alley (it's a half-block away, remember) Sandman has to settle for throwing Flame Farmer over a trash can. Flame Farmer's courage seems to leave him then. He stumbles to his feet and tries to run, but Flash is right there in front of him again, arms still crossed and smiling confidently.

"Okay, okay..." Flame Farmer says, visibly sweating. "Look, it wasn't my idea. I had my orders, see? All those hotels...we were told to set the fires. The plan was to draw at least one of you hero-types where my sniper could get ya, but plan B was just to set a lot of hotel fires in the hopes that some of you were stayin' at one of 'em."

"Whose orders? Who do you work for?" Sandman asks.

"I c-can't tell ya that..."

"You can tell me right here or back in that dark alley down the street..."

"Mr. X!" Flame Farmer says, reaching up with his bound hands to try and take off his hat. "We had orders from Mr. X. Ain't no crook in New York can say no if Mr. X tells 'em to do somethin'. We had written instructions, dropped off at our hideout. Never saw who dropped them off, no one ever does."


Male Human Speedster/7

"Where's your hideout, how often do you get messages from Mr X, and how do you know the messages are from Mr X and not an imposter?" Flash can't help but interject.


Scottenkainen wrote:
"Okay, okay..." Flame Farmer says, visibly sweating. "Look, it wasn't my idea. I had my orders, see? All those hotels...we were told to set the fires. The plan was to draw at least one of you hero-types where my sniper could get ya, but plan B was just to set a lot of hotel fires in the hopes that some of you were stayin' at one of 'em."

Hourman steps up. "Why does Mr. X want to get one of us hero types badly enough that he'd burn down half the town just on the chance he might get one of us? His note said we'd interfered with his plans too often but I don't think any of us have ever heard of him before."


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

"Heh," Flame Farmer chuckles nervously after Hourman's comments. "If you've ever stopped a crime, there's a good chance you were stopping one Mr. X had a hand in somehow. In regards to Flash's questions, he answers, "And no one would impersonate Mr. X. It would just be too risky if it got back to him. I don't get personal notes from him often, but when I do, I drop everything and do what they say. I..." looking down, shoulders slumped in defeat, he adds after a pause, "my hideout is on Columbus Avenue. You know, the closed-down firehouse there by 101st Street. You want the note I got from Mr. X? I left it there."


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

"Well..." Flash says, prompting Sandman and Hourman, "we could check that lead out now, stay here and summon the police for this bunch, or..." he adds with a yawn, "take a quick nap. Feels like we've been up all night already."

Liberty's Edge

Scottenkainen wrote:
"Well..." Flash says, prompting Sandman and Hourman, "we could check that lead out now, stay here and summon the police for this bunch, or..." he adds with a yawn, "take a quick nap. Feels like we've been up all night already."

"Crime waits for no man, guys," says Hourman, popping another Miraclo pill. "Let's go. Sandman, can you drive? Flash, check it out and we'll meet you there."


Don't mind me just lurking. Looks like a great game.


Male Human Mysteryman 8

"Let's be sure to drop these boys off with the cops and then I'll be happy to give you a lift to the Flame Farmer's lair. I fear the Mr. X will dispose of any incriminating evidence there if we wait too long to check it out. I'm a bit weary, but I'll just take it easy for a few days. The life of a spoiled playboy and all that. . . " The Sandman heads to his car, hoping to spot some nearby police, not wanting to leave the Flame Farmer to his own devices.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

((Thanks, Poor Wandering One))

Rather than summoning the police by so pedestrian a means as a public payphone, Sandman trusts to luck. While Hourman and Flash impatiently guard the prisoners, Sandman runs back and throws his car into reverse to exit the alley where it was stashed. Then he peels out and cruises the neighborhood, just the nearest few blocks, in the hopes of getting lucky. And, just as he imagines Hourman and Flash must be running out of patience, he does get lucky and spots a police car. He speeds back to the Hotel Chelsea, letting the police think they're pursuing a simple speeder, when instead they find Flame Farmer and his henchmen sitting in the beams of their headlines. As the cops exit their police car to investigate the matter, Hourman and Flash hop into Sandman's car and they make a clean getaway.

A short drive later, and the Heroes are able to confirm that there is indeed a firehouse in the neighborhood Flame Farmer had described. With their goal in sight, it's now the time to decide if they will go in through the front door, or try something more sneaky...


Male Human Mysteryman 8

The Sandman pulls his car over, hiding it in a nearby alley (if one is available). "Any thoughts about our approach, gentleman. If no one has any objections, I think it might be best for us to take the sneaky approach. I've haven't had a complete night if I don't get to crash through a window or skylight." The Sandman gets out of his car and begins casing the joint, looking for an upper floor window, or, even better, a skylight.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

While Hourman and Flash ponder their options, Sandman finds his own peculiar brand of parking space just over half a city block from the firehouse. Returning to the firehouse, and not having heard an alternative plan from his peers yet, he begins scaling the wall, hand over hand, finding plenty of hand and foot holds in the rough brick work of the front wall. He makes it safely up to a second-floor window and sees all is dark inside. He can bust through that window or continue on to the roof.


Male Human Mysteryman 8

I guess the element of surprise is worthwhile. Even in an empty building.

The Sandman peers into the window, trying to get a glimpse of what lie beyond the glass. Trusting his luck and athletic prowess, he decides to burst through the window, planning to either surprising any criminals inside or look like a fool.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Sandman is able to smash the glass window with the butt of his grapple gun and pull himself into the upper floor room, which proves to be large, open barracks for firemen. There is a pool table, a shelf of books and magazines, a table with a lamp and phone, six beds with footlockers, and at the center of it all, the ubiquitous hole in the floor and fireman's pole. No one appears to be here.

No sooner is Sandman inside than the phone starts ringing.


"Flash, I'll break down the door, you run inside and check things out. I'll follow as fast as I can," says Hourman, walking up to the entrance.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Hourman slams his fist into the large front door and it falls in off one hinge I don't even need to roll for this at your level. The door leads into an empty garage (empty of vehicles, though there are bottles and cigarettes all over the floor and a work bench at the back of the room). A fireman's pole comes down through a hole in the ceiling. There is an office adjoining the garage with a window overlooking the garage and its door ajar. The office and garage are dark. A phone is ringing in the office.

Flash rushes inside, whizzing from room to room for a quick look without stopping to interact with anything. He finds the office connects to a hallway with a washroom, a small kitchen, a staircase going up, and a conference room off of it, none of which are occupied.


Male Human Mysteryman 8

I've got a bad feeling about this . . .

The Sandman grabs the phone and answers it. "Yes . . . ?"

While waiting for a response, he glances around the room, looking for the note from Mr. X or any other evidence. It is strangely quiet here. Could this be a trap or just a wild goose chase. After these several months I still feel like an amateur most of the time.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

While glancing about, the Sandman can only notice that there is apparently little difference between how criminals and firemen maintain their barracks; this firehouse could still belong to either, based on what evidence he sees around him. There is certainly no note from or about Mr. X just sitting around in here.

The Sandman hears an unnatural, very deep voice on the other end say, "You have passed the first challenge of Mr. X. Prepare to die."

Downstairs, Hourman and Flash see a ring of fire spontaneously erupt in the center of the garage floor.


Male Human Mysteryman 8

"Who is this?" the Sandman asks into the phone. "If you have a problem with the Justice Society, you should come out into the open and face us like a man. No matter, though. You see the Sandman soon enough. In your nightmares." He slams down the phone and shouts. "Gentlemen, we have company! Be on the lookout!" He takes another look around the room before investigating the hole and firemen's pole.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

While Sandman gives the room upstairs a once-over (and finds signs that gambling was going on in here), downstairs, the ring of fire begins to fill with smoke and flame rising up to the 10' high ceiling. And, in the midst of that smoke and flame, a dark, man-shaped, demonic form begins to appear...

((Combat intentions?))


Male Human Speedster/7

"Down here!" Flash calls out to Sandman, "Fire!".

((OOC: Are any of us trapped by the flames, or do we have a way out?))


Male Human Mysteryman 8

Hearing the Flash's cry, the Sandman quickly glances through the hole, and, seeing the flaming demon, slides down the pole. Boy, a flame demon. This sounds like a job for the Spectre or Dr. Fate. . . not me, the Sandman thinks to himself. Figuring that fisticuffs will prove fruitless, the Sandman looks for a source of water, trying to find something to douse the demon.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4
the Flash wrote:
((OOC: Are any of us trapped by the flames, or do we have a way out?))

The ring of fire is only at the center of the garage, in an area 10' in diameter, so your Heroes are only trapped in the ring of fire with the demon if you want your Hero to have been standing right there when it appeared -- which, for Flash or Hourman, is possible...


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

As the Sandman descends the fire pole, he realizes neither smoke alarms nor sprinklers are going off in this place. He has seen plenty of fire extinguishers around the firehouse, though, including three within sight in the garage itself.

As Flash and Hourman stand there, slack-jawed in awe at the horrible sight before them, the monstrous fire-being draws a 5' long sword from out of the black smoke around itself and swings the sword back and forth across the room as it advances on Hourman. Hourman almost dodges in time, being nicked in the arm by the sword and lightly injured 4 dmg; back to you guys for combat intentions.

...Meanwhile, in far off Salem, Massachusetts, Dr. Fate watches over his city from his lonely tower. Between scrying the various locations in Salem he anticipates Mr. X might target, he also checks in on his fellow Justice Society members to see how they are progressing. He naturally expects everything to be going smoothly in their campaign against the mysterious arch-criminal -- which is why he is aghast to see, when he scries Sandman, Flash, and Hourman, to see them battling a Baalrog demon!


Male Human Speedster/7

Feeling more than a little out of his element, Flash is at a momentary loss. Then, seeing Sandman head for a fire extinguisher ((OOC: I assume this is what Sandman will do :D)), Flash does the same and turns it upon the fire-thing.


Male Human Mysteryman 8

The Sandman lunges for one of the fire extinguishers, hoping that it will work on demonic flames. As he does, the Flash races past him, grabbing an extinguisher. The Sandman grasps an extinguisher and blasts the flaming man with foam, just slightly behind Mr. Mercury over there.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Sandman and Flash, at least for now, are not able to draw close enough to the unnatural flame to make any effective use of the fire extinguishers, That, and bad die rolls... even though Flash tries coming at the 10' giant from twice as many directions.

I'll continue treating this as your intention each turn unless you tell me otherwise.


male human Magic user 10

The impassive golden helm of Nabu watches the mighty scions of justice battle the flaming monster. Is it their fate to fall before this mystic malevolence or will these flames be smothered and order restored to the sleeping city?


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Turn 2
Perhaps overconfident by the Heroes hanging back around him, the demonic being pauses and the flames around its body seem to lessen in intensity. Into this opening, Sandman and the Flash heroically leap and let loose with chemical foam! The demon looks bothered, then angry, as the flames around it begin to shrink -- but then grow in intensity again and it begins swinging its sword more furiously than before... Pausing a little longer for Hourman's intentions


Male Human Mysteryman 8

The Sandman continues to try to blast the demon with his extinguisher, while also trying to dodge the fiend's blows. "I feel like we might be out of our league here. Do you think we could call up Dr. Fate . . . or the Spectre . . . or Dr. Occult. I'd settle for Sargon the Sorcerer."


Male Human Speedster/7

"I know, but how? We can't retreat, if it gets loose it could set the whole city on fire!" Flash replies, as he continues spraying the demon with the extinguisher.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

The Sandman's mind races, trying in vain to recall a time when any magical hero he had ever known or heard of had given him some sort of contact information.

The demon's swinging blade was just to drive the Heroes back, as it focuses on drawing a flaming whip with its free hand out of the smoke and flame that surrounds it.

And then, as if in answer to the Sandman's fervent wishes, Dr. Fate appears amongst them!

Turn 3
Dr. Fate begins casting a mystic spell as Sandman and the Flash continue to spray their improvised chemical foam weapons, but the intensity of the demon's flame seems too great for them to douse further bad to hit rolls again. The demon answers their attacks by trying to catch Flash in its fiery whip. The whip cracks ominously, but comes up short of touching the scarlet speedster.

Dr. Fate casts one of his most power incantations, an abjuration spell of Dispelling Evil. For long moments, the doctor and the demon remain locked in a contest of wills until, at last, the demon manages to repel the doctor's power. "No! I will not be sent back so soon!" the demon roars. With that, it advances on Dr. Fate and swings at him with its large sword. Dr. Fate's protective magics hold, mostly, with the sword only nicking him 7 dmg.

And all the while, Hourman watches and bides his time, but also notices that the demon-spread fire is in danger of reaching the nearby office, where evidence has not yet been gathered...

New intentions?


male human Magic user 10

"Then you have chosen your fate."

"The beast is resistant to my magics. Luckily you cannot say the same."

Move to be near the other heroes. Cast Protection from evil II

Stay near me and you will be protected. The beast is strong but it is vulnerable to the extinguishers, and likely to your fists.

Scott. Does Fate know much about these demons?

DM Alter time, haste, would effect everyone in the room right? Beast included?


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Dr. Fate has a back-up plan, but it seems spoiled before it starts when the demon moves too fast. Its fiery whip catches Dr. Fate, pulls the wizard off his feet, drags him into the aura of flames around the demon 11 dmg, Dr. Fate is down to 27 hp, and disrupts his spell before it's cast. Then the demon turns and cuts Flash with its sword when the speedster gets too close 7 dmg.

Going to give you time to revise intentions, but also need to take over Hourman from his absent player

Hourman has been hanging back, assessing the situation, and decides the battle is too iffy to risk gathering evidence from the fire. So he goes to the firepole and breaks off a long, 8-ft. piece of it and comes at the demon, wielding it like a quarterstaff.


male human Magic user 10

Ahhhhhh!

If still held by the demon. Writhe in pain and activate amulet to read it's thoughts.

If not held.
"You have skills demon. Let us put them to the test." Cast mirror image.

DM:

Some questions in order of importance.

What does Fate know about the strengths and weaknesses of these demons?
Could I cast alter time and exclude the demon?


Quote:
Hourman has been hanging back, assessing the situation, and decides the battle is too iffy to risk gathering evidence from the fire. So he goes to the firepole and breaks off a long, 8-ft. piece of it and comes at the demon, wielding it like a quarterstaff.

Sorry, work has been on my back about internet access lately. Does Hourman have any powers left?

"Batter up!" Hourman steps up behind the demon and swings for the fences. First a demon warns us and now one is trying to kill us, he thinks. There must be some sort of war in hell.


male human Magic user 10
Rex "Hourman" Tyler wrote:

Sorry, work has been on my back about internet access lately. Does Hourman have any powers left?

That can be unplesent. Is there a Library or cafe near work or home where you could post from? Or I could give you my e-mail address and I could mail you transcripts of the thread and then post your replies. Hate to see you get in RL trouble for this. let me know if I can help. ~Will/Fate


Male Human Mysteryman 8

As Dr. Fate appears, the Sandman bursts out, "Zatara! I forgot Zatara! He'd be useful here. . . . Ah! The good Doctor himself. Glad you could make it. Any advice for us less mystically inclined heroes. I thought we could put out gruesome's fire here, but it doesn't seem to be working." The Sandman continues trying to spray the demon, while looking for something a bit more effective.

Is there some sort of heavy object I could topple on to the demon using my grapple gun. I am loathe to just run up and hit the thing.


Male Human Speedster/7

Ignoring the cut from the sword, Flash tries another tack and taking Dr. Fate's advice attacks the demon with his fists! He focuses his energy on the arm wielding the whip, trying to free the magic-user.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Sandman continues to pound the demon's flames with chemical foam and thinks he's finally seeing some cumulative effect from it.

Flash rushes into the flames and pummels the demon. The flames burn his hands, but he gives twice better than he gets takes 5 dmg and is down to 25 hp.

Hourman would love to beat that demon with his improvised staff, but Flash is a blur of motion all around the demon and Hourman can't see an opening at least until you get a better to hit roll.

Dr. Fate manages to both struggle free from the whip and activate his amulet. He begins to feel the demon's dark, awful thoughts start to seep into his mind, but then are pulled abruptly back.

"Out of my mind, magician!" the demon bellows.


male human Magic user 10

Fate breaks free from the whip and lands just out of the creatures reach.

Cast mirror image.

"I thank you Flash. Hourman and I can hold the beast here. Flash search the building, this thing seeks to delay us for a reason."

"Sandman, Head upstairs and restore the sprinklers. Our friend could use a bath."

"Hourman, Its whip is its most dangerous weapon. Destroy it."

Hope that wasn't too much talking but this thing is whomping us. Does fate know anything about how these things are summoned?


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Sandman has been checking out the terrain for items heavy enough to be used as weapons. The workbench at the back of the garage is probably 200 lbs. The garage door would be even heavier.


Male Human Speedster/7

"Good thinking, Dr. Fate!"

Flash retreats back from the Demon, and grabs his fire extinguisher again. He then searches as directed. If he finds anything 'interesting' he'll use his fire extinguisher to save it from any nearby flames (if such there are).


Male Human Mysteryman 8

Hearing Dr. Fate's orders, and in no mood to argue, the Sandman races upstairs, looking for the controls for any sprinklers, hoping to douse the flaming beast.


Male English/Swedish Publisher/1, Writer/4

Turn 5
Sandman and Flash manage to pull out of combat and race into the burning office. Flash does not manage to see any incriminating evidence, but then he is pretty busy extinquishing the flames ahead of Sandman so his comrade can run through the room to the hallway that leads to the stairs going up.

Hourman is caught in the demon's whip and pulled into the flames surrounding it 14 dmg; Hourman is down to 32 hp. Hourman still has a hand free, though. He switches his improvised staff to a one-handed club and delivers a glancing blow to the demon's head with it.

Dr. Fate casts his spell, but his two mirror images arrive simultaneously with the demon's sword cutting him 6 dmg; Dr. Fate is down to 28 hp.

Sandman makes it upstairs and begins looking around. There is no obvious means of turning on the sprinkler system in the barracks, but there are two other doors in the alcove the stairs comes up into. One door leads to a bathroom and the other leads to a supply closet.

Flash starts gathering loose papers and notebooks from the office into a wastepaper basket to sift through later for clues.

Dr. Fate can see a simple conjuration circle on the floor under the demon, but one too simple to have conjured a demon this powerful. More likely, the demon was conjured elsewhere and merely used this circle as a focus to help it teleport to this spot.


Male Human Speedster/7

Once Flash has finished collecting papers, he'll stash the wastebasket somewhere safe (hopefully!) and then check in on Sandman, lending assistance with the fire extinguisher if necessary. If Sandman has everything under control, Flash will return to the battle (using the fire extinguisher again instead of his fists.)


male human Magic user 10

I am assuming wrecking the circle would be a BAD IDEA. No?

The three doctors Fate reach out and touch Hourman on the arm. The hero feels mystic might flow like fire through his veins.

Cast Strength

"Now Hourman! Attack!

201 to 250 of 1,271 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hideouts & Hoodlums: Justice Society of America All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.