Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Hell's Rebels or How to Overthrow A Thrune and Live to Tell the Tale

Game Master SilentSage

Kintargo is under the thumb of Thrune. You're gonna stop him... aren't you?

Kintargo, The Silver City

Jarvis End Alleyway


1 to 50 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

"It all began around 7 days after the fires. While there were numerous other protests beforehand, this one was the important for Three reasons. One: It was the biggest organized movement so far, one that couldn't be simply pushed aside by the dotari. Two: It was happening in Aria Park, right outside of Kintargo Opera House. That's the building Barzalli seized to become his personal abode in the city, so he'd have listen to their cries for freedom whether he wanted to or not. Three: It was the first known instance of the city's future saviors gathering together in a single spot."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Even with the cobblestones of Argent Avenue and the foliage of Aria Park still wet from the morning’s light rain, dozens of Kintargans have gathered along the facade of the opera house to protest the city’s new lord-mayor, Paracount Barzillai Thrune. The city’s new leader was appointed by Her Infernal Majestrix, Queen Abrogail II, in the wake of the previous lord-mayor’s sudden flight from the city—an event that still has local rumormongers whispering furiously. In a scant seven days, Paracount Thrune has instituted martial law, a curfew, and seven outlandish and polarizing proclamations. These actions and more have called many of Kintargo’s dissatisfied citizens here on this overcast morn. There’s been no sign yet of Barzillai Thrune himself, and the opera house’s doors remain tightly closed—as they have since the man chose the landmark as his new home—but judging by the growing sound of the protesters, he surely can’t ignore the scene on the streets below much longer.

All around, different groups of different people screamed and shouted, coming together in a cacophony of chaos in an effort to make their voices heard, their opinions known, their points of view expressed.

"Hell no! Thrune must go! Go back home!" Cried the local partisans, their intent made clear.

"No new taxes! No new taxes!" Whined a gathering of both wealthy merchants and local businessmen, seeking to undo what Barzalli has done to their business.

"What do we want!? Elections! When do we want them!? Now!" Called the advocates, wanting democracy to win out.

"Rise up! Resist! Rise up! Resist!" Spurned the anarchists, trying to goad the crowd into a riot.

"Hell is here to stay! Thrune will lead the way!" Shouted the loyalists, approving of Cheliax's attempt to curb the city's rebel spirit.

While the new Lord-Mayor himself had yet to make an appearance, at least a dozen nervous and edgy dotarri along with a scowling, fiendish-looking human stood in front of the entrance to the building, preventing anyone from entry or approach.

DC 20 Perception Check:
On the balcony, behind a curtain, you can see the figure of a man drinking what appeared to be wine from a glass goblet. This man appeared to be short-haired with a receding hairline, wearing a breastplate with pauldrons and an exceptionally pointed neck-guard big enough to make a paladin jealous. What wouldn't make them jealous was the pentagrams adorning his wear, signifying him as a member of the Church of Asmodeus. Putting two and two together, you could probably tell that this imposing figure of a man was none other than Barzalli Thrune, nonchalantly listening to the protests with little care for their presence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DM Expositions:
Alright. This is it, people. The game begins with this post. Your tokens are on the map and the map itself (labeled Aria Park Protest) should be in the short description of the campaign. You're free to move them wherever, even moving some of the civilians out of the way if you want to start off in the crowd some place. I'll let you make an initial post or two to establish yourselves before getting on to the proper crunch of the campaign and allowing you to manipulate events to your whimsy. With that out of the way, let the fun begin.

Dark Archive

Human Unchained Rogue(Sczarni Swindler) 1

Aria Park, Kintargo

Ah, angry mobs. They were always one of his favorite types of mobs. A bunch of angry people, barely paying attention to what was going on around them. The kind of place where a man like himself flourished.

Felinder leaned against a tree, watching the crowd. After a moment, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, copper coin.

"Alright, coin, what shall we do today? Play the confidence game, or go straight for their pockets?" he said to the coin before flipping it in the air.

Spoiler:
Let Fate Decide
1=Heads, Confidence Games(Bluff)
2=Tails, Pick-pocketing(Sleight of Hand)
Coin Flip: 1d2 ⇒ 2

The coin landed tails side up. Felinder chuckled. "Alright then. Guess I won't be bringing out the Citizen Rapport Against Paracount Barzillai's Abuse of Government. Maybe next time..."

Slipping the coin back into his pocket, Felinder went into the crowd, allowing his nimble fingers to do their job.

Spoiler:
Sleight of Hand, including +2 Reason to Protest Bonus and +2 Luck Bonus(+1 for Let Fate Decide and +1 for Fate's Favoured)
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 32
Oh hell yeah!


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

"Isn't it nice?", Tasha asks, turning to the side to look at her companions with a sarcastic smile. "Kintargans would hate to inconvenience His Damnedness with having to attend a rally somewhere far away.", she chuckles, pointing towards the massive crowd. "And considering it's just outside his new home, he can't miss it." Her voice, seemingly cheery, hid nervous undertones under the surface, as she stares at the crowd gathered in front of the Opera, face turning somewhat sour. A month ago in the park, we'd have people queueing up for tickets. Couples pushing the limit of public decency on the benches, under the sounds of musicians practicing.

Shrugging, the muffled sounds of metal chainmail rubbing with leather, she reaches into her bag, drawing out a piece of charcoal and a small book with worn leather binding. "Lon, what do you think of the headline?", she turns to the inconspicuous man on her side, pointing towards the opera house with a gloved hand. "Non-Local Man Unaware of Protest Under His Window?", she jests, opening the journal to reveal dozens of pages with barely-legible scribbling, before moving forward. "Alright, let's see what's the word on the street.", she smiles, passing behind the crowds to stand at the edge. Stretching her neck all the way up to reach a non-towering 5'6", just enough to see nothing over the fancy hat of the man in front of her, she looks at the woman to her left, pointing at the opera. "Have you seen the man of the hour?", she says with a smile, loud enough for her to hear in the crowd.

Mechanics:

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Tasha isn't looking for anyone but Barzillai himself, so if Zelinder wants to 'bump' into her or the rest, he's welcome to do so!


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]

"Er...quite the crowd," Arno says to Johann. "Who's heading up this protest anyway? I hope things don't get out of hand. The crowds seem pretty angry."

My duty is to my people. These people are my flock - soldiers of the Great General - whether they are actually a soldier or not.

As Arno thinks of soldiers, he eyes any city soldiers that may be standing by, watching them as they watch the protesters.

I'm not envious of THEM today. Still, I'm sure once everyone's finished saying what they have to say, they'll all just go their separate ways...

Arno will follow a step behind Johann, wherever he leads.


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

This is the right decision right? My friends need me, but... this protest might be dangerous and my family needs me too.

Lonnie barely takes notice to anything going on around him as he walks and thinks, only jostling out of his stupor when called by his name. "Eh? Oh, yeah. Accurate as always Tasha." Following Tasha into the crowd he perishes his previous thoughts. Instead, deciding to help his friend figure out the whereabouts of the protests subject. Using his very slightly taller than average build to get a somewhat more reasonable glance over the heads of the protesters. "Do you think he's even home? If it were me I wouldn't be letting things get this riled up."

OOC:
Including the reason for protest bonus
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Male Human Inquisitor of Apsu 1

It wasn't a great time to call the Silver City home as far as Johann was concerned. With the random fires, the destruction of a whole noble family, and the disappearances, he was surprised such a mob hadn't formed sooner. The man had no objections to bringing more order to the city... but all that followed since the man's appointment to the seat of lord-mayor was chaos.

And so here he was, standing here within a powder keg of outrage and emotion, determined to keep it from detonating. Thrune's supporters and the anarchists weren't making it easier, but he left the idea of anything worthwhile being easy behind a long time ago.

Arno Devarax wrote:
"Er...quite the crowd," Arno says to Johann. "Who's heading up this protest anyway? I hope things don't get out of hand. The crowds seem pretty angry."

"I'm not sure, my friend..." he mumbles, reminded that he didn't stand alone in his goals. Arno may not have been the strongest and a bit soft-hearted, but the man's dedication to duty matched his own and there wasn't a man in the city he'd rather have at his back. "But they have every right to be. Barzillai's proclamations have done nothing to address the city's real issues. How will a ban on mint keep these people safe from the Red Jills or the River Talons? Will gutter-crawling rats like Felinder care that they can't wear embroidered clothing without a permit? We should be putting more effort in hunting criminals and ne'er-do-wells, not feral dogs and vermin."

"I believe Thrune can still do the right thing though. He is as Chelish as you or I, and a united and well-mannered queue will appeal to him far more then bloodthirsty savages. If we can keep the crowd from doing anything rash... he might yet listen."


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]
Johann Sharpe wrote:


"I believe Thrune can still do the right thing though. He is as Chelish as you or I, and a united and well-mannered queue will appeal to him far more then bloodthirsty savages. If we can keep the crowd from doing anything rash... he might yet listen."

"He can indeed. The question that remains to be seen is WILL he?"

Johann's right. Can't argue with it. Still...it seems wrong somehow to wave the fist in defiance.

The burning church of the Dawnflower sears hot into Arno's memory.
That was no accident. Mysterious fire indeed. What will happen with flames of the people's heart today? Will they be fanned? Squelched? Not doubt mother would be urging Ragathiel to seek vengeance on whoever started that fire, if she knew of anyone being burned in the church.

But what can be down about everything that's happened as of late? What SHOULD be done? Ragathiel guide me with your strong arm...

Arno follows in Johann's wake, weaving through the crowd, listening to the volleying of shouts in outrage.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

Isabelle arrives to the park somewhat late. Making her way to the crowd she scans the faces, looking for Morgar. Unable to find him she steps onto the rim of the fountain hoping to get a better view. The green and gold dragon on her shoulder chirps indignantly "*Be careful. I do not want to go for a swim today*" echoes in her mind. "Don't worry, Val. Neither do I" she says out loud
From her slightly better vantage point she looks over the crowd "My there are certainly a lot of people here today." she observes absently. The voice once again rings in her head "*I, for one, applaud the man's efforts to rid the city of vermin and will voraciously do my part to help, although I don't think you would be able to collect the bounty once I'm finished. I mean, why do you humans care that you can't wear fine clothes without a licence, just wear normal clothes, or that you can't eat mint? I mean, mint of all things. We, as dragons, are above such petty concerns.*" Isabelle stifles a chuckle as she remembers the tirade Valarithyx had unleashed the last time a wharf rat had escaped her hunt. "People just don't like being told what to do or what not to do, I guess"
Overhearing the man standing next to her she opines "I don't believe any one person organized this. I mean, there are so many disparate group present, each protesting there own complaints, that it seems almost impossible that one person could pull this together. It'd be like trying to herd cats." "or dragons." she thinks to herself.

Spoiler:
Peception check (protest bonus): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Felinder Zelix wrote:

Aria Park, Kintargo"Alright, coin, what shall we do today? Play the confidence game, or go straight for their pockets?" he said to the coin before flipping it in the air.

The coin landed tails side up. Felinder chuckled. "Alright then. Guess I won't be bringing out the Citizen Rapport Against Paracount Barzillai's Abuse of Government. Maybe next time..."

Slipping the coin back into his pocket, Felinder went into the crowd, allowing his nimble fingers to do their job.

Right off the bat, you were in the groove. You felt so confident with the crowd's unrest, you managed to procure more in an hour than you had in the past few days. Though, one of your ‘goodie bags’ contained a curious item.

Felinder’s Haul:
Gold Stolen: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7
7 Gold pieces and a set of manacles

Tasha Valenti wrote:
"Have you seen the man of the hour?", she says with a smile, loud enough for her to hear in the crowd.

"Eh... not as of yet, m'dear." The woman replied. "Don't worry though. With a building crowd and a little time, I'm sure Thrune will show his face soon enough."

Lonnie Maldron wrote:
"Do you think he's even home? If it were me I wouldn't be letting things get this riled up."

”See that woman there?” The lady said, pointing to the scary woman among the dotari. ”That's Nox. From what I've heard around town, she acts as his escort, muscle, maybe more. Anyway, unless he orders her away, she’s usually with him. Since she’s here, he has to be too. At least… that’s the crowd’s logic anyway.”

Arno Devarax wrote:
"Er...quite the crowd," Arno says to Johann. "Who's heading up this protest anyway? I hope things don't get out of hand. The crowds seem pretty angry."
Johann Sharpe wrote:

"I'm not sure, my friend...But they have every right to be. Barzillai's proclamations have done nothing to address the city's real issues. How will a ban on mint keep these people safe from the Red Jills or the River Talons? Will gutter-crawling rats like Felinder care that they can't wear embroidered clothing without a permit? We should be putting more effort in hunting criminals and ne'er-do-wells, not feral dogs and vermin."

"I believe Thrune can still do the right thing though. He is as Chelish as you or I, and a united and well-mannered queue will appeal to him far more then bloodthirsty savages. If we can keep the crowd from doing anything rash... he might yet listen."
Arno Devarax wrote:
"He can indeed. The question that remains to be seen is WILL he?"

As he made his way through the crowd, Johann manages to spot a pickpocket. While it wasn't Felinder, he was still breaking the law and pinching someone’s hard earned money.

Isabelle D'Sarini wrote:
Overhearing the man standing next to her she opines "I don't believe any one person organized this. I mean, there are so many disparate group present, each protesting there own complaints, that it seems almost impossible that one person could pull this together. It'd be like trying to herd cats."

With the height advantage​, you manage to spot him. He was with some of the gathered merchants and local businesses men. While he was with them a Varisian man bumped into him a bit before walking away. Luckily, that bump was all he needed to notice you on the fountain and start approaching. “Isabelle! There’s the prettiest face in all Kintargo!” He complimented as he got closer to you. “Glad to see you’re here to help me and my associates get proper business back in order.”

----------------------------------

CURSE YOU, VERIZON DATA LIMITS! Won’t be able to post from my phone for a bit, but will be able to create them at work. Anyway, sorry for the text wall, but I can't seem to spoiler everything. I will now get you lot into the crunch of this this protest. You can take a variety of actions that take place over one hour of time. Those action are as follows.

Listen for Rumors: Anyone wandering the crowd can listen for rumors and learn more about what’s going on in Kintargo’s new political landscape. The character must succeed at a Diplomacy check to gather information or a Perception check to overhear something of note.

DC 15 Diplomacy/Perception:
Roll 1d10 for a rumor.

Pilfer: Criminal-minded characters can use the large gathering to line their pockets, lifting purses or goods from the street vendors by succeeding at Sleight of Hand checks. A successful check earns a character some gold coins and other small objects. Failure will trigger an opposed perception against your Sleight of Hand. Should you be seen, a Bluff check will need to be made to brush it off. Failure will have you outed as a thief.

DC 20 Sleight of Hand/Bluff:
Receive 1d6 pieces of gold and small items. If spotted, allows you to avoid being outed.

Rabble Rouse: Persuasive characters may want to better organize the protest by attempting a Diplomacy or Perform check.

DC 12 Diplomacy/Perform:
Along with recognition, you gain a +1 circumstance bonus on any Charisma-based checks for the next 24 hours. Benefits of multiple successful checks stack, up to a maximum bonus of +3.

DC 20 Diplomacy/Perform:
Should anything bad happen, the crowd avoids you instinctively, allowing you to move freely.

Search for a Contact: Some PCs might have come to the protest in search of a mysterious contact said to be wearing a black leather glove on his right hand and no glove at all on the left. A Perception will allow you to potentially spot this man. Should failure occur, you will instead take a Watch the Crowd action.

DC 20 Perception: 1st hour:
Is that him? No… he’s got two gloves. Wonder what the crowd is up to...

Silence Undesirable Elements: With five distinct factions among the protesters, the message delivered is a jumbled mess. Characters can try to silence or outshout elements of the crowd they disagree with.To silence a group, a PC must succeed at a Bluff or Intimidate check. I am also willing to accept Diplomacy with some convincing roleplay. Only one group can be silenced at a time, and no more than four of the five groups can be silenced.

DC 15 Bluff/Intimidate/Diplomacy:
With a successful roll, that group’s message is silenced or oppressed for the duration of the protest.

Watch the Crowd: The PCs can simply choose to watch the crowd for anything unusual. A PC who does so can attempt a Perception or Sense Motive check.

Perception/Sense Motive DC 10:
The crowd’s general mood is agitated and discontented, but not overtly violent.

Perception/Sense Motive DC 15:
You notice a pickpocket—if you call out the thief, the criminal either runs off or is arrested by the dottari, and the grateful would-be victim rewards the PC with some gold.

Perception/Sense Motive DC 20:
You notice that there’s some sort of unusual sub-current in the crowd’s movement, as if there were an organizing force among the people. Should the worst happen and violence break out, you gain +4 bonus on your Initiative check for being prepared.

Also note that I am generous when it comes to Nat 20s since they normally signify the highest of successes. While it will not persist forever, for this instance, Nat 20 will double the effects of any checks you make here. DM fiat.

Dark Archive

Human Unchained Rogue(Sczarni Swindler) 1
GM SilentSage wrote:


Right off the bat, you were in the groove. You felt so confident with the crowd's unrest, you managed to procure more in an hour than you had in the past few days. Though, one of your ‘goodie bags’ contained a curious item.

** spoiler omitted **

Felinder chuckled as he spun the manacles around his finger. "Not a bad start to the day..."

Spoiler:
As Felinder has already acted, I'll have him hold off until everyone else has done their first hour activity.


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

"I see. Thank you!", Tasha replies to the onlooker, turning to give a glance at Lonnie. "Though it's good to see that if you were an authoritarian leader, you'd at least be an authoritarian leader with an ear for the people.", she grins at Lonnie, scratching several more lines in her journal. Staring at the crowd, she shrugs. "Well, at least most of us here aren't trying to start a fight..."And those who do... "Hey, can you see if you can talk some of the hotheads into quieting down? This protest turning to violence will ruin the whole point of proving to Thrune that we're capable of taking care of Kintargo ourselves.", she suggests to the quiet man. Somehow always had a way with people, that one. And considering he's armed, they might just listen to him., she thinks, staring at the armed woman in the middle of the guard. "I wonder who pissed in her tea...", Tasha mutters, before turning an eye on the crowd.

Rolls:

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 I'm sure I picked the wrong protest trait, but it was the only reasonable one...
Knowledge(Nobility) on Nox: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 Just to figure out more about her.


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

Lonnie's face goes bright red as Tasha points out how his lambast of Thrune sounded. "Ah! No, that isn't what I meant!" He says halfheartedly, clearly embarrassed at his choice of words, almost to the point he doesn't notice the response he got from a lady in the crowd. "Hm, thank you Madam."

Not really sure what to ask the group of people next, Lonnie is relieved to have the role of peacemaker placed on him. A quick scan of the crowd reveals the anarchists attempting to coax the whole gathering into violence, and, something else. Like there's an organizing force behind the protest. "I think violence is inevitable at this point Tasha." He says pointing out the strange movement in the crowd to his friend. "I'll try anyways but I doubt it'll work... Stay close."

Lonnie hurry's along and reluctantly approaches the group of anarchists. "Hello gentleman and ladies! I'm here with a friend and I was wondering if you could try and not turn this into a brawl. I would very much like to go home tonight and not spend it in jail, or gods forbid bleeding out on the ground." Lonnie holds out a hand and offers a smile to the group. "So how about it?" Catching a glimpse of an all to familiar sight in the city, Lonnie points out a pickpocket amongst the anarchists "Seems some of the unsavory sort are taking advantage of your focus on violence as well."

OOC:

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]

Arno's eyes are stayed on the dotarri.
They're like armored hounds readying the command to be loosed. But who could blame them. All the people here are completely out of...wait, what am I saying? It's not right what's happening here. Still I don't see how shouting about it helps. Why did I let Johann convince me to come to this?

Because he's right. He always is, it seems. Annoying sometimes...

His eyes scan to the crowd watching as a hound himself. Perhaps More like sheepdog, carefully watching the flock. Still the similarities were striking between he and dotarri. They certainly went about things differently though. Different motives, too.

And since Arno came here to watch the proceedings...

Rolls:

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"I can feel the swelling of tide, Johann. Be careful. It feels like there is going to be a crashing of chaos against the rocks here."


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

Tasha laughs out loud. "Oh, I know.", as Lonnie turns bright red, she teasingly punches him in the shoulder. "Still, when that happens, you can count on me to distract the public opinion from the real issues, though. Diabolical oath." The shouts of the crowds continue, the five groups continuing their verbal barrage. Sure, we should avoid the violence., she thinks as she shoves a tall man to pass through, shouting an apology, as she follows the broader Lonnie. But should we try to silence the loyalists? I'm not here to tell anyone what to think. Like, they're a%~@~~#s. But they should make their choices. Bad choices, but their bad choices. It's how Kintargo worked so far, isn't it?

Hearing about the pickpocket, Tasha sighs. "Well, joke's on them. Last of my money went to the papermaker.", she blurts out, moving through the crowd towards the pickpocket. "Sorry! Sorry!", she muttered to people around her, elbows forward.


Tasha Valenti wrote:
"Hey, can you see if you can talk some of the hotheads into quieting down? This protest turning to violence will ruin the whole point of proving to Thrune that we're capable of taking care of Kintargo ourselves."

From your observations and rumors you've heard of yourself, what the woman said before was correct. Among her armor, you saw she did wear some embroidered clothing, signifying her as an agent of Thrune or at least the Asmodean faith. She doesn’t seem noble of birth, but she certainly does seem to carry an air or command around her. Still, the dotari seem to listen to her, meaning she’s at least in charge of the ones here and now.

Lonnie Maldron wrote:
"Hello gentleman and ladies! I'm here with a friend and I was wondering if you could try and not turn this into a brawl. I would very much like to go home tonight and not spend it in jail, or gods forbid bleeding out on the ground." Lonnie holds out a hand and offers a smile to the group. "So how about it?" Catching a glimpse of an all to familiar sight in the city, Lonnie points out a pickpocket amongst the anarchists "Seems some of the unsavory sort are taking advantage of your focus on violence as well."
Tasha Valenti wrote:
Hearing about the pickpocket, Tasha sighs. "Well, joke's on them. Last of my money went to the papermaker.", she blurts out, moving through the crowd towards the pickpocket. "Sorry! Sorry!", she muttered to people around her, elbows forward.

Seeing as I forgot to mention only one can be taken within the hour, I'll at least let you have the one you succeeded in making.

"What?" said one of the anarchists, seeing his pocket about to be picked by a neer-do-well you managed to spot. With his cover blown, the theif ran away, but ended up subdued by a dotari on the way out. "Well... don't think you'll convince my fellows with a speech like that, but I'll at least let you have this. The grateful man replied, handing you a few pieces of gold.

Lonnie’s Reward:
Gold Earned: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Welp... two gold for Lonnie

Arno Devarax wrote:
"I can feel the swelling of tide, Johann. Be careful. It feels like there is going to be a crashing of chaos against the rocks here."

First Hour Conclusions:
Ok. So, as far as I can tell, these have been your actions for the first hour.

Felinder: Pilfer
Tasha: Watch the Crowd
Arno: Watch the Crowd
Lonnie: Watch the Crowd
Johann: Watch the Crowd (You can call him out next post for you gold)
Isabelle: N/A

Seeing as Isabelle has yet to specify a specific big action to take within the hour, I'll wait for that before bringing us to the top of the next hour. If any of these conclusions seem wrong/inaccurate,
please let me know.


Male Human Inquisitor of Apsu 1
Arno Devarax wrote:
"I can feel the swelling of tide, Johann. Be careful. It feels like there is going to be a crashing of chaos against the rocks here."

Johann nodded. Arno's intuition was dependable, especially in times like this. With the warning, it meant he'd be ready for it. Before he could give a proper response, the inquisitor spotted a pickpocket trying. It was bad enough that these people did that for a living, but to do it on such an occasion was unforgivable.

"I saw that, scoundrel!" he declared, pointing toward the man.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

Sorry guys, busy day yesterday. Didn't get a chance to sit down and compose my thoughts. I'll get a post up when I get a chance, otherwise Isabelle will watch the crowd for signs of trouble.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

Isabelle finally spots Morgar as he makes his way through the crowd. She jumps off the the fountain's rim and embraces Morgar around the neck "Flattery will get you everywhere." she whispers in his ear before pulling back. "Such an interesting crowd." she remarks "So many different elements here and the dottari looking like hounds straining at the leash, just waiting to be loosed. I hope nothing untoward happens."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Johann Sharpe wrote:
Arno Devarax wrote:
"I can feel the swelling of tide, Johann. Be careful. It feels like there is going to be a crashing of chaos against the rocks here."

Johann nodded. Arno's intuition was dependable, especially in times like this. With the warning, it meant he'd be ready for it. Before he could give a proper response, the inquisitor spotted a pickpocket trying. It was bad enough that these people did that for a living, but to do it on such an occasion was unforgivable.

"I saw that, scoundrel!" he declared, pointing toward the man.

"What?" said the would-be theif. "I wasn't doing nothing!"

"Then why's your hand so close to my rear pocket, good sir? Trying to admire my buttocks?" His probable victim interjected, staring daggers at the thief. The coward said nothing in return before turning tail and running away with a dotari in pursuit. "That's what I thought... Thanks, stranger." The man thanked as he pulled out some coins for his hero. "Take these for you troubles."

Johann's Reward:
Gold Earned: 1d6 ⇒ 2
2 Gold for Johann.

Isabelle D'Sarini wrote:
Isabelle finally spots Morgar as he makes his way through the crowd. She jumps off the the fountain's rim and embraces Morgar around the neck "Flattery will get you everywhere." she whispers in his ear before pulling back. "Such an interesting crowd." she remarks "So many different elements here and the dottari looking like hounds straining at the leash, just waiting to be loosed. I hope nothing untoward happens."

Morgar chuckles in response. "While you hope for that, I'm hoping for some change. Perhaps now that the voices of the people are under his balcony, we'll get him to see some sense. Just wish some of these guys would let the people with REAL problems against Thrune get their say in first, y'know?"

Isabelle's Action:
Since you didn't roll in your last post... Watch the Crowd: 1d20 ⇒ 13

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As more and more time passes, the crowd grows in almost all aspects. All sides of the argument get louder as the streets and park continue to pack with people. All the while, Thrune had yet to make an actual appearance. This only spurned the crowd into further unrest.

Second Hour Crunch:
All the actions remain the same. However, one result's success description has changed. Name and perform them at your convenience.

Search for Contact: DC 20 Reception Second Hour:
Two gloves... two gloves... one glove? Is that... no... it's white on left hand. The contact is wearing a black glove on the right hand. Where the f*ck is this guy?

Dark Archive

Human Unchained Rogue(Sczarni Swindler) 1

As the second hour rolled around, Felinder found his nerves being a little ruffled by the Thrune loyalists. Once again, he pulled his coin from his pocket.

"Alright, old buddy, what do you think I should do? Get these Thrunies to shut, up just help myself to whatever's in their pockets?"

But before he flipped it, he stopped.

"... You know what? I don't think I'll need your help this time," he said as he put the coin back in his pocket before approaching the loyalists.

"Excuse me, my dear friends, but I think you may be making a slight mistake here. I understand where you're coming from. You wish to make the new Lord-Mayor aware of your undying and righteous support. But right now, you're just another group of voices shouting under his window. He doesn't know any of you from those calling for his head."

"Now, if you truly want to show him your loyalty, it's a simple matter of being quiet. Stand in stoic silence, and you'll show you don't stand alongside those who would see this town in anarchy. Wouldn't you agree?"

Spoiler:
Bluff check, including +2 Reason to Protest bonus
Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

Lonnie sighs at the anarchist disinterest in not fighting. Oh well, it looks like he's going to need to do a little more than that anyway. "Tasha, I'm going to try and organize things around here. Maybe some order will keep things from barraling twords conflict if say, the anarchists and the loyalists merge." So without much further ado, Lonnie begins directing groups and people on where he wants them to be. The crowd has gotten bigger, but it shouldn't be to much more difficult to handle.

"Listen up! I want you all to stand where I tell you, so that we can have a well defined, reasoned and safe protest! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!"

OOC:
Rabble rouser, attempting to separate opposing groups.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]

Arno eyes a man attempting to help organize the differing protest groups.
"Ah! Now there's a man with some good sense. What we need around here is some organization. Johann, I'll see you around in a few. I'm gonna go over here and see if I can give this fellow a hand."

Arno attempts to assist Lonnie.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

Tasha nods at Lonnie. "Well, good luck with that!", she wishes the man, grinning. "If I was to try that, they'd both gang up on me for being bossy." She pats Lonnie on the shoulder for good luck, before trying her best to stare over the crowds. Is there a crate I can stand on? I'd even take a barrel., she thinks to herself, before staring at the Opera once more, only turning once in a while seeing rugged individuals nod at Lonnie and quieting down. What a guy., she smiles. The lapimps have quieted down too... Someone doing work here., she notes. But where the Hell, literally, is the mayor...

Moving slowly through the crowd, Tasha strains to hear what's the word on the street. The smattering of people around her seem to be there for posterity's sake only, as a couple of wealthily-dressed individuals appear to have engaged in an argument about fishing boat taxes and quotas, and the technicalities of the current laws. "Talk about priorities...", she mutters under her nose, as the man next to her, dressed like a bodyguard, chuckles.

Rolls:

Perception for seeing the mayor: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 If that's only in the first hour, then ignore that roll.
Perception, looking for rumours: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

Watch the crowd (sense motive): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Isabelle watches as more and more people pour into the park "I've got a bad feeling about this." she tells Morgar "Too many people in too small a space. Something's bound to happen."


Male Human Inquisitor of Apsu 1

Johann was happy to get a reward, but happier to see that rat run with his tail between his legs. This event didn't need him to spoil it.

Lonnie Maldron wrote:
"Listen up! I want you all to stand where I tell you, so that we can have a well defined, reasoned and safe protest! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!"
Arno Devarax wrote:
"Ah! Now there's a man with some good sense. What we need around here is some organization. Johann, I'll see you around in a few. I'm gonna go over here and see if I can give this fellow a hand."

The inquisitor nodded and took a look at the other groups. Many of them were here for good reason, but the ones trying to incite a riot were doing more harm then good. With that in mind, Johann made it his goal to silence them.

"Do not stand here crooning for pointless violence and rabble-rousing! Every other person here has solid reasons for being here and speaking out today. Either align your reasons with theirs or go home!"

Rolls:
Intimidate + Protest Bonus: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21


Felinder Zelix wrote:

"Excuse me, my dear friends, but I think you may be making a slight mistake here. I understand where you're coming from. You wish to make the new Lord-Mayor aware of your undying and righteous support. But right now, you're just another group of voices shouting under his window. He doesn't know any of you from those calling for his head."

"Now, if you truly want to show him your loyalty, it's a simple matter of being quiet. Stand in stoic silence, and you'll show you don't stand alongside those who would see this town in anarchy. Wouldn't you agree?"

The loyalists were gullible enough to eat your words up at face value. There was a bit of argument among themselves, but the Thrune supporters went from loud, prideful shouts to silent, still prideful staring.

Lonnie Maldron wrote:

"Tasha, I'm going to try and organize things around here. Maybe some order will keep things from barreling towards conflict if say, the anarchists and the loyalists merge."

"Listen up! I want you all to stand where I tell you, so that we can have a well defined, reasoned and safe protest! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!"

Tasha Valenti wrote:
"If I was to try that, they'd both gang up on me for being bossy."
Arno Devarax wrote:
"Ah! Now there's a man with some good sense. What we need around here is some organization. Johann, I'll see you around in a few. I'm gonna go over here and see if I can give this fellow a hand."

The many groups heard your words, finding your presence at the very least reasonable enough to listen. It also helped that the cleric gave his assistance. Over the next hour, they shifted themselves out into somewhat orderly groups. They even went the extra mile and made signs to indicate which group of protesters goes where.

Tasha Valenti wrote:
"Talk about priorities..."

As unfortunate as it was, all you really heard was talk of unneeded taxes, Thrune's pointless proclamations, and the words of a man surprisingly knowledgeable about pigs and cabbages. The 'lord-mayor' was also not within your sights as of yet.

Johann Sharpe wrote:
"Do not stand here crooning for pointless violence and rabble-rousing! Every other person here has solid reasons for being here and speaking out today. Either align your reasons with theirs or go home!"

Apsu's fury must've fueled your voice, because the majority of them shut their mouths from your intimidation. The rest either filed into other groups or took off.

Isabelle D'Sarini wrote:

[dice=Watch the crowd (sense motive)]1d20+5

Isabelle watches as more and more people pour into the park "I've got a bad feeling about this." she tells Morgar "Too many people in too small a space. Something's bound to happen."

"Don't worry, darling. If worse comes to worse, I'll protect ya from the mob," Morgar says, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he watches some of the others work with a smirk. "Huh... those blokes ain't bad. Did us a real favor shutting those idiots up."

---------------------

As the third hour of the protest came on, the crowd became it's biggest. With the loyalists and the anarchists effectively towed, the remaining shouts belonged to the dissatisfied business workers, those calling for official elections, and those who just wanted Thrune to leave. Still, despite some efforts, tensions still rises and agitation festers. While violence had yet to break out, it was still a possibility at this point.

All actions remain the same except one update to the same one as last time.l and that the anarchists and loyalists have been effectively silenced for the reminder of the protest.

DC 20 Search for Contact Third Hour:
Ugh… It's​ been nearly 3… going on 4 hours. Where is the nine hells is this… wait… is that him now arriving?


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

Lonnie gazes at the newly organized protest with a hint of pride. Job well done. Maybe Tasha would appreciate a little assistance right about now? Poor thing hasn't been too lucky in her endeavors today. With this posing in his mind, Lonnie saunters off to help Tasha in whatever way he can.

OOC:

Feel free to add a +4 to your next roll Tasha. If its a skill I can aid in.
Aid another: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Dark Archive

Human Unchained Rogue(Sczarni Swindler) 1

There was a level of satisfaction in Felinder's walk as the Thrunies finally shut up. The kind of satisfaction that made him decided his best course of action was to pay himself for his hard work in making the world a quieter, less Thrunie place.

Spoiler:
Sleight of Hand to Pick-Pocket
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

Seeing Lonnie make his way towards her, with the group behind him organising themselves. As they start drawing signs and spreading them around, her mouth opens. "Lonnie Silvertongue!", she bows down theatrically as he arrives next to her. "Great work! Let's go together and see what's the word on the street. So far, all I've picked is some insider information in the insidious cabbage trade. Dirty business..."

Shooting another glance at the opera, she spots the curtains ruffle, and she spots a particularly interesting figure overlooking the protest. "Well, well. Look up to the window.", she nods in the direction of the Lord-Mayor's new residence. "He seems to be enjoying the show. Usually people from the streets would be going into the opera to see something, but it's apparently Opposide Day today. Still stop me if I try to start singing, though.", she mutters, as she goes into the crowd. "Hi there! Wonder if you've heard anything interesting happening these days? I spend most of my time outside of town, and my friend's here to make sure I don't get lost. You'd be surprised how often that happens.", she asks an onlooker with a smile.

Rolls:

Thanks, Lonnie!
Perception to find Thrune: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Diplomacy, asking for rumours, with trait and Lonnie: 1d20 - 1 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (11) - 1 + 2 + 4 = 16
Rumour roll: 1d10 ⇒ 2


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]

In a new location of the protest, Arno pays close attention to what those surrounding him are saying while keeping a close eye on any militants - protesters or the dotarri or anyone else.

I am the eyes and ears of the city, ever guarding as Ragathiel's arm. He paused to consider this. Wow. Do I really think I'm actually THAT important?
Arno watches and listens all the same.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19
Rumor: 1d10 ⇒ 2


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

Lonnie blushes yet again at Tasha's interwoven compliment. "You're being surprisingly praisefull today. I haven't done so much as to be considered a silver tongue, have I? Suppose angles get their wings by handing out lollipops now." Lonnie says, dismissing the compliment with a quick joke.

Lonnie merely nods as Tasha speaks about the mayor. Not having any real stake of his own in the protest other than seeing as little violence occur as possible and helping his friend with buisness. As Tasha begins to speak to a member of the crowd however Lonnie puts on the most charming smile he can muster and adds to the honeypot a sweet potentiality "She works in the paper you know. Maybe if you have anything particularly interesting to say we could quote you and your business, if you have one that is? Bring you a little free publicity in these trying times." With that Lonnie grins even wider with closed eyes, looking as friendly as a person with an armor crushing weapon on their back can look.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

Isabelle snuggles into Morgar's embrace. Despite having enough magic to protect herself and Moragr as well she decides to pad his ego "Thank you, my brave knight" she tells him with a smile. *"Do not let this big oaf crush me.*" Valatheryx beams into her mind, her disdain for Isabelle's new boyfriend clearly evident.
Watch the crowd (sense motive): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Male Human Inquisitor of Apsu 1

With the crowd's most troublesome elements quieted down, Johann took a step back to see if Arno's warnings about the crowd still persisted or if their interference was enough to prevent conflict.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Tasha Valenti wrote:

"Lonnie Silvertongue!", she bows down theatrically as he arrives next to her. "Great work! Let's go together and see what's the word on the street. So far, all I've picked is some insider information in the insidious cabbage trade. Dirty business..."

"Hi there! Wonder if you've heard anything interesting happening these days? I spend most of my time outside of town, and my friend's here to make sure I don't get lost. You'd be surprised how often that happens.", she asks an onlooker with a smile.

Lonnie Maldron wrote:
"She works in the paper you know. Maybe if you have anything particularly interesting to say we could quote you and your business, if you have one that is? Bring you a little free publicity in these trying times."

A man turned to them and spoke his mind. “Got no business of my own, but what might be my business is the public excruciations Thrune's bringing in. If this ‘doghousing’ thing is as frightening as it sounds, I don't think it'll win him the hearts and minds of Kintargo, even if the criminals deserve it. Stick that in your paper."

DC 10 Knowledge Local or Nobility:
Excruciations are a from of public humiliation and torture meant to keep the common folk in line. House Thrune employs these in lieu of of outright execution for a variety of reasons. Excrutiations vary in sizes and severites, ranging from pillorying or public caging to impalement or crucifixion. Doghousing must be the newest form.

DC 20 Knowledge Local or Nobility:
Doghousing is the newest form of Thrune Torture. When a prisoner is doghoused, he is put inside of a small wooden dog house, the walls of which have had dozens of nails driven through. The confines inside are incredibly cramped, making it difficult for the doghoused victim to move or shift position without being stabbed by a nail, and making it impossible to stand or lie down. Twice a day, at sunset and sunrise, the victim is allowed out of the doghouse to scavenge for scraps of food and water left by the dottari, but he must contend with two or more feral, ravenous dogs that have been chained in reach of the food—if the victim isn’t quick, the dogs eat the food, but if the victim goes for the food, he’ll likely be bitten at least a few times before he’s forced to seek shelter in the doghouse for another day.

Felinder Zelix wrote:
There was a level of satisfaction in Felinder's walk as the Thrunies finally shut up. The kind of satisfaction that made him decided his best course of action was to pay himself for his hard work in making the world a quieter, less Thrunie place.

Oh my. Those pockets full of money are much too heavy. Luckily, you were there to relieve them of some of that burden. Such a helpful man you are.

Felinder's Haul:
Gold Earned: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Arno Devarax wrote:

In a new location of the protest, Arno pays close attention to what those surrounding him are saying while keeping a close eye on any militants - protesters or the dotarri or anyone else.

I am the eyes and ears of the city, ever guarding as Ragathiel's arm. He paused to consider this. Wow. Do I really think I'm actually THAT important?
Arno watches and listens all the same.

Not really a Spoiler:
Rerolling until you get a new rumor because I like variety.

Rumor Roll: 1d10 ⇒ 2
Rumor Roll: 1d10 ⇒ 4

As you watch, you manage to catch a bit of conversation between some people.

“Been hearing strange noises around the old livery again. I hope Barzillai gets the government together enough to tear that old eyesore down.”
"I could use that place. Not as it is now mind you, but I'd wager I could turn it into something nice."
"Like what?"
"A big pigpen for my hogs."
"...What's with you and pigs, Dave?"
"That's a long story, my friend. It all starts with some fresh picked cabbages..."

Isabelle D'Sarini wrote:
"Thank you, my brave knight" she tells him with a smile.

"It's the least I could do." He replies, looking at a couple of dotarri who began to whisper to one another while looking in his direction. Seeing them looking at him intently caused him to turn shade paler than normal and avoid eye contact with the guards for the remainder of the time.

Johann Sharpe wrote:
With the crowd's most troublesome elements quieted down, Johann took a step back to see if Arno's warnings about the crowd still persisted or if their interference was enough to prevent conflict.

Arno's warnings certainly seemed to hold some merit. While the crowd was getting more and more riled, they weren't outright violent... yet. Still, something else was off. You couldn't help but sense that something... or someone among the crowd was waiting for something. Something that would send this crowd into a frenzy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As the current hour came to a close, the crowd seemed to reach it's peak in size and anger. It was obvious to everyone that, while still not violent, it was at it's most volatile and hostile. As tensions rose against the guarding dotarri forces and the mob, the sudden sound of loud ringing came from the Temple of Asmodeus. The Devil's Bells once again were going off, pealing one... two... three times before going silent once more. When the silence hit, as if on cue, the windows and curtains on the balcony above the dotarri were thrown open. Then, a middle-aged, yet imposing figure of a man strolled out onto the platform. He was dressed in red, orange, and black clothing and an ornate breastplate emblazoned with the pentagram of Asmodeus and the cross of Cheliax while his hair was short, dark, and receding. In one hand was a goblet of red wine while the other held and a diabolical mace. Barzillai Thrune has come out of his home.

The gathered masses grew silent as the Lord-Mayor cleared his throat, addressing the crowd personally. "Ah, my adoring little chickadees." He began, smug and arrogant as you would expect from a Thrune. "I am sorry to say I have not yet adapted to your quaint, country ways, being accustomed as I am to the sophistication and learning of Egorian. Nonetheless, know I have heard your concerns, and that I appreciate your valued feedback, and I know we shall eventually find a mutual understanding in the fullness of time. I take pride in updating Kintargo’s quaint, outdated laws to the modern standards the city deserves, and strengthening its ties with the empire in these cruel times, but obviously I have approached my duties too aggressively."

After taking a breath, he began to pace around what little space he could. “You say you chafe at the presence of nonnatives in positions of power? That authorities not of this city have no place as its leaders? That you will not be yoked by intruders? Your lord-mayor hears you. And so it is with a heavy heart that I have another proclamation to issue. Scribe!"

From inside his manor, a skinnier, meek looking man joined him with parchment and quill in hand before beginning to write the lord mayor's coming words.

"All nonnative ships’ captains must remain on board their ships and are barred from setting foot on land within Kintargo’s city limits. Their crew and agents are free to come and go, but their actions are directly the responsibility of their captains, and any crew caught breaking Kintargan law shall have its punishment visited upon the crew members as well as their captain. Any captain caught setting foot in Kintargo is to be punished by... by..." He put a hand to hand to his chin before snapping his fingers. "Oh, I know! Squassation!"

As soon as his last words were muttered, the crowd was thrown into an uncontrollable frenzy of shouts and protests. Rioting and violence seemed to be right around the corner now.

DC 15 Knowledge Local:
Squassation is a form of torture in which the victim’s hands are tied together and raised above the head; the victim is then hung from the hands while a weight is suspended from the feet, causing intense pain to the arms and legs. A character subjected to squassation for breaking this proclamation suffers the punishment for 1d4 hours and takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage and 1d4 points of Dexterity damage each hour.

OOC:
No more hour actions. Initiative rolls and reactions are what I need from you now. Anyone who got the DC 20 Perception/Sense Motive from 'Watch the Crowd' may use it for that roll. From what I could find, only Arno and Johann qualified. If I'm wrong, then I missed it. Other benefits from this will be made know when sh*t goes really cray-cray.


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

Lonnie does't now what Squassation is, but judging by the crowds reaction and the fact it's a punishment he knows that it cannot be good. Not to mention how unfair the proclamation sounded and the fact it was seemingly put in place as a jab at the frustrated citizens. Lonnie tugs on Tasha's chainshirt to catch her attention. "I don't think this is going to end well Tasha, I... I think that it need's to happen though. If that showed me anything, it showed me that Thrune needs to be put in his place. I mean, how long until he makes a proclamation that affects me and my family like that one did the captains." Lonnie has a more serious look on his face than normal, very much unlike him. His hand is also resting on his sap. "It's time, Be ready."

OOC:

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]

Arno lets out a deep gasp of relief when he hears "Your lord-mayor hears you."
Ah. Finally. Some working together. I knew he would solve this with some reason and not...WHAT?"
As Thrune continues his proclaimation, Arno's heart fills back up with anxiety.
No, no, no. Not good. Why would you do that, when it is in your power to HELP your people, not beat them cruely like a disobedient dog. So THIS is the great wave crashing and the wreckage you showed me, Ragathiel. Well, use my sword as you see most fit.

Arno readies himself to grab his sword, keeping a keen eye on the line between protesters and Thrune's dotarri.
Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

Tasha frowns. "Is this something to do with the wild dogs he has bringing in?", she ponders, half speaking to herself and half to Lonnie and the informer. She puts a gauntleted hand on her forehead, before closing her eyes. "I don't suppose it'd be playing with puppies until you die from exhaustion and joy, is it?", she mutters, as horrifying images loom over each other in her head. Sicing dogs on criminals? Gladiatorial fights with rabid dogs? Who knows..., she swallows, and wipes a brow full of cold sweat.

------------------------

As Barzillai appears, Tasha stares intently at the man's figure peeking and addressing the audience. If only the Thrunes weren't the royal family. Maybe he'd have made a good actor..., she ponders, as he starts making his statement. Oh, you..., she thinks, hand reflexively going towards her quill. "I... I...", she mutters, before shaking her head. "I honestly don't see how someone can be that much of a dick, and not be plucked by Calistria from this mortal realm...", is all she has time to blurt out, as the crowds start to swell up. Taking her cosh from her belt, and unclasping her shield, she looks at Lonnie making his statement. "Not long.", she shakes her head. "It's like in The Seneschal.", she mentions the classic historical drama. "Remember?", she recites the words.
"
To those who strive to take you down
who dare speak against you order
they will not study your bloodied crown
if they're envying their neighbour.
"

She shrugs. "Sounds better in Infernal, I suppose. If you hate those that are different than you, you're alone." She feels the weight of the lead balls in the bludgeoning tool, staring at the dottari. "Don't suppose you can ask the Lord-Mayor to jump into the crowd?", she jests once more, her way too wide grin clearly trying to not let out how nervous she is.

Rolls:

Knowledge(Local) on Doghousing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Knowledge(Local) on Squassation: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Isabelle draws a sharp intake of breath at Thrune's announcement, she had no idea what squassation might be, but it couldn't be good.
"Calling us unsophisticated, backwards, and ignorant. The man couldn't have done more to inflame this crowd unless he poured alchemist's fire over them." she tells Morgar "Unless this is what he intended to do?" she muses.
Initiative check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Does the bonus for the initial reason we are at the protest (tagging along) still apply? If so add +2 to the initiative check.

Dark Archive

Human Unchained Rogue(Sczarni Swindler) 1

Felinder smiled as he quietly pocketed the remneants of his haul. He was prepared to make another go around when the Lord-Mayor finally made his presence known.

Felinder took a moment from his procurement of funds to listen.
He didn't expect anything good to come from a Thrune, but a little knowledge on what the town was about to undertake would be useful. But as Thrune spoke, Felinder could feel the energy of the crowd getting worse.

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Squassation? That's an old maritime punishment. First time Thrune's thrown out a specific punishment for this kind of thing...

As the crowd started riling up, Felinder started glancing around. He didn't reach for a weapon, as the last thing he needed right now was someone to see him pull a knife and make things worse.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Male Human Inquisitor of Apsu 1

Barzillai's latest proclamation sparked outrage within Johann's heart. Passive-aggressive insults could be brushed aside easily, but another pointless proclamation!? There was no way Thrune could've misunderstood their intent! This was a blatant abuse of power... and from the crowd's reaction, the straw that was breaking the camel's back. He thought back to Arno's warning and his own instincts... and pulled out his quarterstaff, preparing for the worst.

Rolls:
Initiative + Bonus: 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 4 = 11


DM Screen:
Red Thug: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Blue Thug: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Green Thug: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Yellow Thug: 1d20 ⇒ 11
Purple Thug: 1d20 ⇒ 12

While a small portion of people prepared for the worst, the majority of the crowd were driven into a riotous frenzy. That statement was the straw that broke the camel's back. The crowd's response to Thune was something as equally sh*tty as the proclamation. From somewhere within the crowd, a piece of cow manure was sent skyward, intent on hitting Barzallai cleanly in his face. While it didn't make it's mark, it made him and the scribe jump in surprise, causing the meek man to bump into the Thrune and spill the wine all over his clothing.

The crowd laughed and jeered at his humiliation, making Barzallai turn red as the wine from embarrassment and anger while the scribe was frozen in terror. "You... YOU IDIOT!" He screams at the top of his lungs as he swings his mace. Sure enough, it connected to the poor man's head with a sickening thud, staining it and Thrune with another shade of red as the scribe fell to the ground dead. "I'VE TOLERATED THIS LONG ENOUGH! NOX! RUN THEM OFF! ARREST THEM! KILL THEM! I DON'T CARE WHICH! JUST GET THEM AWAY FROM HERE!" He commanded before retreating into his abode, leaving the corpse for someone else to clean up.

The fiendish woman smiled evilly as she grabbed her weapon, a fairly sharp and pointy glaive, and brought it to bear against the crowd. Before she could have any fun however, a lucky knife suddenly flew out and found itself lodged in her throat, stunning the woman and making her fall to her knees while the rest of the dotarri began to move in and take control.

In the meantime, many men from within the crowds suddenly threw off their cloaks, revealing men and women wearing black and red garb carrying manacles and Thrune symbols, indicating where their loyalties lie. "Chelish Citizens Group, unite!" They shouted in unison as they started swinging maces and slapping manacles on anyone and everyone within reach while the crowd began to run in terror. Before Morgar could even react, he was tackled by another man and lost among the crowds of people.

Five of these thugs were close to a particular couple of debatably helpful and prepared individuals, looking to run them in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Block Initiative Order (w/Protest Reason in):
Heroes: [Lonnie, Arno, Isabelle, Felinder, Tasha]
Villains: [Red, Purple]
Heroes: [Johann]
Villains: [Blue, Yellow, Green]

Combat Conditions: The enitre area is treated as difficult terrain due to fleeing crowds, ordering dotarri, and overzealous citizens. Those who performed the 'Rabble Rouse' action have the crowds flee around them, meaning Lonnie is immune to this effect.

OOC:
Here we are folks. First thing of combat. Let's hope for some good rolls and plenty of fun. I'll be doing this in block initiative. To those unfamiliar, you're all grouped up depending on you rolls and can post anytime it's within your block. After everyone takes their actions for that part of the round, I post and it goes to the next block, and so on until we reach the next round where we do it all again. So, for this as an example, first Arno, Isabelle, Felinder, and Tasha their actions in any order. Once they're done, I post Red and Purple's actions. Then Johann's, then I the remainder's. So, lets get to it.


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

As the situation unfolds, Tasha's wide grin at the cow manure assault turns into a wide-eyed horror as the scribe is cut down, and the dottari march towards the citizenry. "You... MANIAC!", she shouts out at the Lord-Mayor, drawing the attention of a heavily armed woman in front of her. "Over here, b~+%$!", she shouts out, lashing forward with her shield. The thickened, metalic rim of the shield rends deeply into the woman's fine threads, who opens her mouth in a look of righteous indignation. Before she has a chance, however, the pouch of lead balls slams right into her mouth, sending blood and teeth flying everywhere. "Everyone, get behind me!", she shouts at those around her, setting her sights through the crowd at the next assailant. "Hey, wanna try that with someone your own size, you fat imp?", she shouts at the large man in exquisitely garish red clothes.

Rolls:

Attack, shield: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 - 2 = 14 Not entirely sure this one hits, but they're flatfooted, I'd imagine, and unarmoured?
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Attack, sap: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 4 - 2 = 20
Damage, non-lethal: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Dark Archive

Human Unchained Rogue(Sczarni Swindler) 1

At this point, Felinder started thinking that a quick exit was the better idea. But there was something keeping him from doing so.

It was probably the one Chelish Citizens Grouper standing right next to him. The opportunity was too great.

He reached out, tapping the man on the shoulder. As he turned, he made a fist before swinging at his head.

Spoiler:
Unarmed Sneak Attack
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Confirmation of Failure: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

... And he flubbed it spectacularly.


Human Id Bloodrager 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | Fort 3 Ref 2 Will 0 | Initiative +2 | Rage 2/5

Lonnie goes pale as he witnesses Barzallai murder his scribe, he goes paler as Nox is killed in a rather grotesque fashion. Finally as the Chelish citizen group begins their bludgeoning spree, Lonnie snaps at the cruelty. "Stop... stop KILLING PEOPLE! I'LL MAKE YOU STOP!" With a shout Lonnie steps between Tasha and the robed figure. Drawing his sap and swings at the man with all his might.

OOC:

5ft stepping in front of red, drawing my Sap and taking a swing.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

As to not take up more posts Whenever someone in my threatened area gets attacked by an enemy, assume I use bodyguard to Aid their AC. I need to hit AC 10 with a +5 to hit to give them a +4, I can do this three time's a round. I would ask that you roll this when applicable.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Arcanist 1
Character Information:
[HP: 7]; [Armor Class: 12; Touch: 12; Flat Footed: 10]; [BAB: +0; CMB: +0; CMD: 12]; [Saves: Fortitude: +1; Reflex: +2; Will: +2]; [Initiative: +6]; [Perception: +0]

"I knew it! I just knew this was going to happen." she thinks to herself. With Morgar swept away Isabelle searches the crowd for him but fails to see him. What she does see chills her to the bone "Those people were planted in the crowd. No matter what this was going to turn violent, Thrune saw to that. Probably one of his people who threw the cow pie to begin with."
Before she begins to cast a spell she shouts a mental command to Valarithyx "*Val, take wing! I'll meet you back at the apartment when I'm able.*" seeing the little dragonette fly off Isabelle begins casting her spell "Magicae Armis" she intones as her body becomes surrounded by a magical, invisible, field of force. With her protection in place she moves to place the bulk of the fountain between herself and the rioters.
She casts Mage Armor on herself.


Chelaxian Cleric of Ragathiel 1 [HP 9] [AC 16; T 11; FF 15] [F+3; R+1; W+6] [Init +1] [Perception +9]

Arno watches, readying himself as the two sides seemed in an inevitable conflict. Then a word from above, and the dotarri rush the citizens of Kintargo. As several other "citizens" throw off their cloaks, revealing themselves plants for Thrune, one of them cuts down a peaceful protester beside Arno. Arno draws his sword and unthinking, unflinching swings the heavy blade down on the man in front of him.

Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 11
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 10

Arno's thoughts catch up to his actions.
What am I doing? I'm attacking one of the Lord Mayor's own men!

And then, shortly after that...
I guess I should be careful what I pray for.

And I hope Dad doesn't hear about this.


Tasha Valenti wrote:
As the situation unfolds, Tasha's wide grin at the cow manure assault turns into a wide-eyed horror as the scribe is cut down, and the dottari march towards the citizenry. "You... MANIAC!", she shouts out at the Lord-Mayor, drawing the attention of a heavily armed woman in front of her. "Over here, b$&+&!", she shouts out, lashing forward with her shield. The thickened, metallic rim of the shield rends deeply into the woman's fine threads, who opens her mouth in a look of righteous indignation. Before she has a chance, however, the pouch of lead balls slams right into her mouth, sending blood and teeth flying everywhere. "Everyone, get behind me!", she shouts at those around her, setting her sights through the crowd at the next assailant. "Hey, wanna try that with someone your own size, you fat imp?", she shouts at the large man in exquisitely garish red clothes.

Your bash managed to rattle her a bit, but words seemed to do much more. "Hey... I can get being attacked from a disloyal person like you, but that name calling is a bit mu-" was all she managed to stammer out before getting herself sap'd and becoming dead weight on the ground.

Flat foot of 13. SO... KO!

Felinder Zelix wrote:

At this point, Felinder started thinking that a quick exit was the better idea. But there was something keeping him from doing so.

It was probably the one Chelish Citizens Grouper standing right next to him. The opportunity was too great.

He reached out, tapping the man on the shoulder. As he turned, he made a fist before swinging at his head... And he flubbed it spectacularly.

You flub so spectacularly, your punch whirls around and hits no less than 7 bystanders as they try to run away while the guy just laughs at your failure. "Not your day, is it buddy?" He smugly replied to the thief.

Lonnie Maldron wrote:

Lonnie goes pale as he witnesses Barzallai murder his scribe, he goes paler as Nox is killed in a rather grotesque fashion. Finally as the Chelish citizen group begins their bludgeoning spree, Lonnie snaps at the cruelty. "Stop... stop KILLING PEOPLE! I'LL MAKE YOU STOP!" With a shout Lonnie steps between Tasha and the robed figure. Drawing his sap and swings at the man with all his might.

Unfortunately, your sap bounces off the man's dyed leather armor, missing his head by mere inches. "Ha! Eager to get arrested, are ya? Well, I'll be happy to oblige ya!" He called as he tried to take a swing at Lonnie, missing him due to the crowd bumping into the attacker and causing his it to go wide.

Red Thug Attack:
Red Thug Attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

Isabelle D'Sarini wrote:

"I knew it! I just knew this was going to happen." she thinks to herself. With Morgar swept away Isabelle searches the crowd for him but fails to see him. What she does see chills her to the bone "Those people were planted in the crowd. No matter what this was going to turn violent, Thrune saw to that. Probably one of his people who threw the cow pie to begin with."

Before she begins to cast a spell to help quell some of the riot she shouts a mental command to Valarithyx "*Val, take wing! I'll meet you back at the apartment when I'm able.*" seeing the little dragonette fly off Isabelle begins casting her spell "Magicae Armis" she intones as her body becomes surrounded by a magical field of force.

As your dragon flies away from you, you hear the screams and shouts of conflict going on around you. One in particular might make her blood boil as you hear Morgar shout part of her name before being cut off by the sound of a thwacking mace and a potentially breaking jaw.

Arno Devarax wrote:
Arno watches, readying himself as the two sides seemed in an inevitable conflict. Then a word from above, and the dottari rush the citizens of Kintargo. As several other "citizens" throw off their cloaks, revealing themselves plants for Thrune, one of them cuts down a peaceful protester beside Arno. Arno draws his sword and unthinking, unflinching swings the heavy blade down on the man in front of him.

A heavy blade with little strength behind had no success in finding a crack in the man’s leather defense, but did catch his attention. “You’d better hope I hit like you, cause otherwise… this is gonna hurt.” He warned, bouncing a mace in his hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Block Initiative - Round 1:

Heroes: [Lonnie, Arno, Isabelle, Felinder, Tasha]
Villains: [Red, Purple]
Heroes: [Johann]
Villains: [Blue, Yellow, Green]


Male Human Inquisitor of Apsu 1

While he was prepared for the fallout, he wasn't prepared to witness Lord-Mayor Thrune's blatant murder of a servent. While the manure-slinging was uncalled for, murdering a servent for a simple accident was unforgivable. The sounds of combat shook him from his daze, however. Dottari and people in red were attacking civilians left and right. While one of them was felled by a random knife, it didn't stop the rest.

'That will be my job.' he thought, his resolve unshakable; Thrune's orders went too far. These people needed defending. Stepping up towards the nearest thug, he took a swing with his quarterstaff.

Rolls:
Move Action: Move 5 ft up next to Blue
Standard Action: Attack Blue
Attack Roll (nonlethal): 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 3 - 4 = 15
Damage Roll: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Johann Sharpe wrote:

While he was prepared for the fallout, he wasn't prepared to witness Lord-Mayor Thrune's blatant murder of a servent. While the manure-slinging was uncalled for, murdering a servent for a simple accident was unforgivable. The sounds of combat shook him from his daze, however. Dottari and people in red were attacking civilians left and right. While one of them was felled by a random knife, it didn't stop the rest.

'That will be my job.' he thought, his resolve unshakable; Thrune's orders went too far. These people needed defending. Stepping up towards the nearest thug, he took a swing with his quarterstaff.

You're pretty sure you broke some teeth with that swing. Either way, he wasn't happy you rearranged his face a bit. "You're gonna pay for that, traitor!" He yelled as he took a swing for the inquisitor, barely missing the man.

Blue Thug Attack:

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16

Felinder, on the other hand, wasn't as lucky. One good swing was all it took to turn him from a quick little bunny to a staggering sloth. Still, that coin must've had some good luck in it since a clean mace to the head could've done much more.

Yellow Thug Attack:

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
Confrimation Roll: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Damage Roll ; Non-Leathal: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

As for Arno, he had a better run of things. The thug missed him so badly, he hit his own leg and growled in frustration. "GAH! How did I do more damage to me than you did?"

Green Thug Attack:

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Confrimation Roll: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11

Within a short span of time, the crowd continued to disperse while thugs and dottari continued to arrest. Much to the horror and amazement of some however, they saw the supposed corpse of Nox begin to rise while bringing a hand to the embedded knife. With a bit of effort, she pulled the knife out with a mix between a gargle and a snarl. As she tossed it to the ground, everyone around her could see the wound closing up, as if no real damage had been done.

"Nox!" came one of the nearby dottari. "Are you alright?"

"I just..." she started before coughing up some blood. "Took a knife to the throat... you imbecile! Of course I'm not alright! That hurt like hell!"

"U-Ummm... Y-You're orders, ma'am?" He stammered as she turned and walked into the opera house doors.

"Follow the lord-mayor's orders, you useless lump! I'm going to get Mephiry. He just loves crowds..." She said darkly before shutting the doors behind her, leaving the man trembling in fear of whatever it was she was bringing out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Block Initiative - Round 2:
Heroes: [Lonnie, Arno, Isabelle, Felinder, Tasha]
Villains: [Red Thug]
Heroes: [Johann]
Villains: [Blue Thug, Yellow Thug, Green Thug]


Female Human Fighter 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 21, T 12 FF 19 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2 (+4 vs Fear) | CMD 16 | Init +2 | Perception +2

"Missed that last sentiment, honey!", Tasha shouts as the woman bites the pavement. May be a$~*+%$s, but they're very civil a@#!+#*s, can't deny that. Pushing aside a man running for his life, and nearly falling on the ground herself, Tasha manages step up to Lonnie's side, to see another man dueling with a Thrune agent... stabbing himself? That's something I'd want to hear about later., she thinks, deciding to leave the small man with the big sword to fend off for himself for now.

Swinging her hefty shield, she catches the man's ribs with a loud crack. "You're a bit outnumbered. If you fall down spectacularly enough, you might even survive the chewing you'll get from your boss.", she suggests to the man with a grin.
[spoiler=Rolls]
Attack, shield: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
[/dice]

1 to 50 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hell's Rebels: A SilentSage Production All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.