Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Haven's Cross

Game Master Gritnarr Halldorr

A Classic Dungeons and Dragons mini-campaign based out of the frontier Town of Haven's Cross allowing for shared story telling duties using DnD 5th Edition Rules.


1,251 to 1,300 of 1,591 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

Without being prompted, Geim continues offering more about himself and his past.

"I hail from the Holgir mountains where my folks make a meager living growing crops. They used to do some adventuring until they had me, so I guess it's in my blood. Recently, we had a bad rock slide wipe out a portion of town and it just so happened to take my beloved Grams with it. Marthammor Duin rest her soul."

He reaches into his shirt for something and brings out an amulet. He touches it to his lips then lets it fall back.

"After that, I set out on my own and headed for Haven's Cross. I'd have reached the town much sooner if it weren't for some trouble I met along the way. But, I'm here now and that's about the jist of it."


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)
Geim Engstrom wrote:

Without being prompted, Geim continues offering more about himself and his past.

"I hail from the Holgir mountains where my folks make a meager living growing crops. They used to do some adventuring until they had me, so I guess it's in my blood. Recently, we had a bad rock slide wipe out a portion of town and it just so happened to take my beloved Grams with it. Marthammor Duin rest her soul."

He reaches into his shirt for something and brings out an amulet. He touches it to his lips then lets it fall back.

"After that, I set out on my own and headed for Haven's Cross. I'd have reached the town much sooner if it weren't for some trouble I met along the way. But, I'm here now and that's about the jist of it."

"I'm a Dorian dwarf as well. Haven't been back home in a few decades to be honest. A number of my cousins are back in Haven's Cross working for the guild as well. We can reminisce sometime but now there is a job to finish. Shall we?"


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard

Olias looks at good companions with a bemused expression on his face. "I'm really going to need one of you to teach me Dwarven. Welcome, Geim! Glad to have you! Let's go meet Ulfe."


"Let's."


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Jorlitharr will motion to Olias' dagger as they walk. "Unfortunately this confirms my fears that these orcs have uncovered a cache of very finely made dwarven steel. Resistance will be tough but perhaps well find the cache as well. It may hold other secrets long lost. This hall fell centuries ago.'


You descend carved stairs for about ten feet. As you walk you see another room open before you, with flickering torchlight. The floor seems to suddenly stop and vanish into darkness before your. You hear a very distant rush of water; walking to the jagged edge you see it falls abruptly into a deep, dark crevasse. If you approach the edge and look down, you can barely make out a river far below. A rope bridge spans the crevasse. On the other side you see two torches flaming as small lights, and another ledge is barely visible on the other side of the chasm.

Place yourselves on the battlemat please!


"Must cross bridge that orcs made to get to the Great Ulfe!" says Grushnak, pointing. "Swingy but sturdy."


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard

Suspicious Perception Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


The bridge does look rickety but you don't see any signs of weakness or traps. You think that if you walk slowly across you will be able to make it safely to the other side.


Male Human Lev 4 Wizard/Mage Armor AC16/Spell DC 14

I've got a 60 foot detect magic range due to my Student of the Arcane feat. Anything about the bridge or on the other side pinging my radar?


Oleksandr Blackwind wrote:
I've got a 60 foot detect magic range due to my Student of the Arcane feat. Anything about the bridge or on the other side pinging my radar?

Nope.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Jorlitharr groans loudly and looks like he just swallowed a bug after lookin at the rope bridge.


Male Human Lev 4 Wizard/Mage Armor AC16/Spell DC 14

Oleksandr takes a look at the ropes supporting the bridge. How old do they look? Are they tied securely on this side? He places a foot on the first plank and gives it a shove to test how much it will sway back and forth and up and down.

investigation, how many people am I comfortable with on this bridge at one time: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Jorlitharr peers at the bridge and tries to figure out if it's in decent shape (for presumably orc construction) assisting Oleksandr.

"Looks to me like the dwarven construction here was broken and this bridge is a bandage. Dwarven construction doesn't just fall apart like this. Based on what Aengus told us about the history of this place I'd bet Durrgedin likely destroyed this bridge while attempting to stop the horde. I'd wager there are lots of orc skeletons down there..."

Investigation: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


Oleksandr Blackwind wrote:

Oleksandr takes a look at the ropes supporting the bridge. How old do they look? Are they tied securely on this side? He places a foot on the first plank and gives it a shove to test how much it will sway back and forth and up and down.

[dice=investigation, how many people am I comfortable with on this bridge at one time]1d20+5

As you examine the ropes, you are surprised that this bridge seems relatively new and very structurally stable despite its rickety and unstable appearance. As you push your foot on the first plank, you feel it swing sideways just a little bit and bounce up and down gently. You are confident that if everyone walks slowly and carefully that you can get across one at a time, maybe two at a time.


Jorlitharr wrote:

Jorlitharr peers at the bridge and tries to figure out if it's in decent shape (for presumably orc construction) assisting Oleksandr.

"Looks to me like the dwarven construction here was broken and this bridge is a bandage. Dwarven construction doesn't just fall apart like this. Based on what Aengus told us about the history of this place I'd bet Durrgedin likely destroyed this bridge while attempting to stop the horde. I'd wager there are lots of orc skeletons down there..."

[dice=Investigation]1d20+2

You think you are making a good guess about this. You also think Aengus might be able to get you more information once you see him again.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mountain Dwarf Fighter 2

"What kinda daft rocks fer brains fool makes a bridge outta ropes!? Miracle they remember to breathe. I'll go across first, if ya hear me talkin to some Orc insteada stabbin it, send to elf or the mage over next to talk to em."

Thravum steps cautiously out onto the bridge, testing his footing and balance. He prods the boards ahead of him as he goes, testing for soft spots and signs of rot. You can't really make out what he's muttering as he goes, but you're pretty sure it would have made Florr blush.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Jorlitharr will cross last after securing Seymour and Duggar on the farside of the pit. He'll be sure their ropes cannot reach each other, just in case. He'll remove the wooden box of potions from the saddlebags and leave the rest in the saddlebags.

He crosses the bridge in a wide wobbly stance. He seems very very uncomfortable and looks like a baby horse learning to walk. Sweat starts to dot his brow and eventually he's soaked with sweat turning his dusty and dirty exterior muddy.

He reaches the other side (hopefully) with a great sigh of relief.

He looks up a little embarrassed. "Heh. I like my feet firmly on the ground. Steady....reliable. She's there when you need her." he pats the stone lovingly and smiles.


You all make it safely across the bridge. You are all very brave for taking the bridge. And Jorlitharr, you should be very proud of your feat!

Sir Baron Seymour howls once from the other side of the bridge. If you look back you see the dogmole is eyeing him warily.

You are on a ledge similar to the one you just left. A long hallway reaches out in front of you. It is not lit. Those with dark vision see a wooden door at the end of the hallway.

Grushnak points to the door. "Almost to the Great Ulfe. Hallway then door then choose which hallway to take to the Great Ulfe!" He motions and starts down the hallway.

Jorlitharr and Olias:
You hear grunts, scuffling, and talking murmurs on the other side of the door at the end of the hallway. Grushnak does not hear anything.


Male Human Lev 4 Wizard/Mage Armor AC16/Spell DC 14

To quell Jorlithar's curiosity Oleksandr lights a torch and drops it down the chasm. Myra flies to the bottom to investigate. Olek's eyes turn black as he peers through her eyes.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)
Haven's Cross GM Molly wrote:

You all make it safely across the bridge. You are all very brave for taking the bridge. And Jorlitharr, you should be very proud of your feat!

Sir Baron Seymour howls once from the other side of the bridge. If you look back you see the dogmole is eyeing him warily.

You are on a ledge similar to the one you just left. A long hallway reaches out in front of you. It is not lit. Those with dark vision see a wooden door at the end of the hallway.

Grushnak points to the door. "Almost to the Great Ulfe. Hallway then door then choose which hallway to take to the Great Ulfe!" He motions and starts down the hallway.

** spoiler omitted **

Jorlitharr will put his fingers to his lips and point down the hallway at the door.

AFTER OLEK DOES HIS THING

Jorlitharr will creep towards the door and scribe Κηφᾶςרָז of the dust and dirt in the floor about 20ft away from the door, he's hoping the commotion in the room, the wooden door and the fact that he's barefoot he's hoping he should be quiet enough. [ooc}advantage?[/ooc]

Stealth: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5


Oleksandr Blackwind wrote:
To quell Jorlithar's curiosity Oleksandr lights a torch and drops it down the chasm. Myra flies to the bottom to investigate. Olek's eyes turn black as he peers through her eyes.

What Oleksandr sees:
Oleksandr’s torch lands on the banks of a murky, muddy riverbank. There is a slow-moving stream of water burbling in a southwards direction. Chunks of carved rock are littered in mounds of varying degrees of height, with some individual pieces over ten feet tall. As Myra explores the area she sees piles of humanoid remains scattered between the rocks. Closer inspection shows skulls, long bones, and rusted weaponry.

As she examines the east bank she notices the skeletons on this side seem like smaller humanoids. She sees several strange pieces of equipment half-buried in the rocks; these are like large chisels or shovels made out of dark steel. She also sees several glints of silver underneath the smaller skeletons. Two larger glints catch her eye. Flying closer to these she can make out two shining axe blades, still flickering with a bright mithral silver in the torchlight after over a century of lying in the filth.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Stealth!: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1

Jorlitharr grunts "KEP'phaRz'a!" way way too loudly.


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard
Haven's Cross GM Molly wrote:

You all make it safely across the bridge. You are all very brave for taking the bridge. And Jorlitharr, you should be very proud of your feat!

Sir Baron Seymour howls once from the other side of the bridge. If you look back you see the dogmole is eyeing him warily.

You are on a ledge similar to the one you just left. A long hallway reaches out in front of you. It is not lit. Those with dark vision see a wooden door at the end of the hallway.

Grushnak points to the door. "Almost to the Great Ulfe. Hallway then door then choose which hallway to take to the Great Ulfe!" He motions and starts down the hallway.

** spoiler omitted **

"What's that sound?"

Investigation: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard

Olias notices the door opening and whispers to his companions. "Hide! We might be able to surprise them." He ducks behind the wall.


Olias can't hear anything else.

As Jorlitharr grunts loudly, he sees a flash of what is in the other room. Three orcs wearing green lizard skin armor with javelins in their hands are facing you and walking to the door. The orc in front has his hand outstretched to open the door, and when he hears you grunt he starts and furrows his brow.


Following Olias' quick instruction, Geim moves to hide as well.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Jorlitharr will stand up and give a pained look to his companions who seem to be trying to hide. Before motioning for Grusnak to come up the hallway.

As the door opens Jorlithar holds up an open palm.

"Hail great North Tribe. Our friend Grushnak have brought us here to meet with the Great Ulfe. We have freed him from his imprisonment and have gifts to bring."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


After seeing that there's no immediate threat, Geim motions for Olias to follow as he makes his way up to where Jorlitharr is talking to the orcs.

"Don't worry Olias, what could possibly go wrong?"


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard

Olias taps his head, clearly embarrassed for his cowardice and then joins Geim and Jorlitharr. In Orcish, "Aka'Magosh. As our Dwarven friend here has already stated, we are here to meet the Great Ulfe. We have a proposal for him. May we see him?"

persuasion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Three orcs walks through the door. The orc at the lead looks shocked to see all of you in the hallway.

As Jorlitharr speaks he nods. "Good speaking. Yark is surprised to see Grushnak and you hrushka. Thought Grushnak dead in walled city. Yark thanks hrushka for bringing him back."

As Olias speaks in orcish he nods again. "The Great Ulfe is awake and sent Yark, Grag, and Bulgar to find Captain Garnak. Haven't seen Captain Garnak in hours. Must find and plan next raid. Winter is coming. Go and see the Great Ulfe and help our tribe."

Grushnak rushes up. "Hi tribesman Yark! These hruska are helping much. No need to rush to find Captain Garnak!" At that he breaks into laughter, saying no more.

The other two orcs just stand and listen.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)
Haven's Cross GM Molly wrote:

Three orcs walks through the door. The orc at the lead looks shocked to see all of you in the hallway.

As Jorlitharr speaks he nods. "Good speaking. Yark is surprised to see Grushnak and you hrushka. Thought Grushnak dead in walled city. Yark thanks hrushka for bringing him back."

As Olias speaks in orcish he nods again. "The Great Ulfe is awake and sent Yark, Grag, and Bulgar to find Captain Garnak. Haven't seen Captain Garnak in hours. Must find and plan next raid. Winter is coming. Go and see the Great Ulfe and help our tribe."

Grushnak rushes up. "Hi tribesman Yark! These hruska are helping much. No need to rush to find Captain Garnak!" At that he breaks into laughter, saying no more.

The other two orcs just stand and listen.

"We didn't encounter The Captain on our way in through, he must have gone outside through the other entrance."

Deception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Yark nods again then motions behind him. "Follow Yark then take the north tunnel to the Great Ulfe."

He turns. "Grag, Bulgar, we will go to the orc tunnel. Captain must be that way." The three orcs walk back through the door they came from.


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard

"Lead on." Olias begins to follow. He hopes someone else takes the lead, though.


Mountain Dwarf Fighter 2

Thravum's lips seem pressed together tighter than usual. As he notices Olias hesitate he follows wordlessly behind the Orcs.


Dwarven:
"Elves..."

Geim smirks then begins to follow Yark down the northern tunnel.
"Lead the way."


You walk through the wooden doors to a medium sized room with smooth, carved walls. A single torch is lit on the wall. The floor beneath your feet is worn in several paths which lead to hallways branching from this room. To the north, you see a straight tunnel that disappears into darkness; if you have dark vision, you see another room with rubble littered around the entryway. To the east right in front of you, you see a tunnel that twists so you can’t see the end. To the south of you, you see a metal cage door covering a tunnel lit with a torch.

Grushnak motions to the north passage. “The Great Ulfe is near!”


Male Human Lev 4 Wizard/Mage Armor AC16/Spell DC 14

Dwarven::

"I'm wondering what's behind that cage door. Prison cell? Wolf kennel? Armory?"


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)
Oleksandr Blackwind wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Is that a typical dwarven feature? A trash shoot? A drain? etc.

Don't know if it's relevant or will help but...
Knowledge Stonecunning: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Jorlitharr will continue northwards unless his companions wish to explore more of this room.


Jorlitharr wrote:


Jorlitharr will continue northwards unless his companions wish to explore more of this room.

This cage door is not original to the dwarven tunnel. You see roughly cut holes for the bars to fit inside, and you see scrape marks under the gate as it isn't lined up well. The construction of the metal cage gate itself is definitely not up to dwarven standards.

The tunnel is big enough for orcs to walk through. Glancing down the tunnel, you see another cage door twenty feet along the passage.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)
Haven's Cross GM Molly wrote:
Jorlitharr wrote:


Jorlitharr will continue northwards unless his companions wish to explore more of this room.

This cage door is not original to the dwarven tunnel. You see roughly cut holes for the bars to fit inside, and you see scrape marks under the gate as it isn't lined up well. The construction of the metal cage gate itself is definitely not up to dwarven standards.

The tunnel is big enough for orcs to walk through. Glancing down the tunnel, you see another cage door twenty feet along the passage.

"Wolf kennel is a good idea. Might also be the 'Orc Entrance' that was mentioned. But it wasn't always here."


Male Half-Elf Level 2 Bard

"Let's press on. Ulfe should be right up ahead."


Grushnak leads the way north through the tunnel.

You pass through a large room with lots of rubble on the floor. It seems that the walls in the room are damp and crumbling. At the far side of the room is a set of double wooden doors; one is open. At the southeast corner of the room, a rough-hewn hallway leads into darkness.

Grushnak walks through the open door. A long hallway stretches out to the left and right. He motions excitedly to the right. "The Great Ulfe's chambers!" he announces. You see double wooden doors forty feet down the hallway; these doors are different than the others you've seen as they have elaborate carvings and inlaid golden filigree.

I'll place you on the battlemat.


Dirt Wizard/Geomancer (AC 17, PP 13)

Jorlitharr enters.


Male Human Lev 4 Wizard/Mage Armor AC16/Spell DC 14

Oleksandr rushes to keep up with Jorlitharr, staying behind him.


Geim follows them in.


Jorlitharr pulls open on of the heavy wooden doors. Soft light spills over the threshold. Before you is a large room with tall ceilings, decorated in a mishmash of tapestries, rugs, throws, furs, and other gaudy decorations like golden reflective balls hanging from the ceiling and chains of silver draped over the tall bedposts. These items glow in the flickering light of golden lit candelabrae and candles in silver candlesticks that litter the room. You smell a sickeningly sweet odor of bad perfume mixed with mildew, mothballs, and rot.

The Great Ulfe, who was sitting at a mirrored table, stands and turns. He looms in front of you. Standing much taller than any of you, and as wide as Thravum and Jorlitharr standing next to each other, his presence is profound. His massive pale body is wrapped in a regal dark red robe with thick pointed pauldrons. His face is wide and broad, with a bald pate and big ears. His build is thick, and what you can see of his skin is pale, spotted with age and scars, and pudgy. You see a thick silver chain around his neck with a fiery red gem nestled in his robe folds. Leaned up against the wall next to the mirror is a double-sided axe with a thick handle of what looks like a tree trunk wrapped in leather cords. Something small and circular on the weapon sparkles in the candelight.

“Why, what a surprise to have visitors.” His thick tusks glisten as he speaks with a wide, thick-lipped smile. Grushnak grovels and doesn’t say anything. The Great Ulfe ignores him. “Guests are usually announced by the Captain, but he seems to be off busying himself somewhere else. Again.” He gestures to the whole party. “Please, enter.” He gets out fancy golden goblets (that don’t match) and lays then out next to a silver jug of deep red wine. He pours and offers to everyone. “Please refresh yourselves. Surely you have travelled far, as you look weather-stained and tired.”

The Great Ulfe looks at the three dwarves in front of him. He now addresses only them, completely ignoring Olias and Olek.

In dwarven, he says (with a bit of a rough accent):
“My dwarven friends. Tell me why you have come to see the Great Ulfe. For though you may not have known it, I am great in need of your assistance.”


Male Human Lev 4 Wizard/Mage Armor AC16/Spell DC 14
Quote:
"...Surely you have travelled far, as you look weather-stained and tired..."

That remark causes Oleksandr to assess the cleanliness of his robes. He brushes off some dirt from his shoulder and in an instant his clothes are as clean as they day they were made.

He will accept a cup of wine. He will smell it and press it to his lips but he will not actually drink.

He leans on his staff looking between his dwarven companions and Ulfe, slightly offended to not be addressed, but playing it off as if he cannot understand him.

Trying to figure out what Ulfe is. Knowledge nature roll if allowed. Knowledge arcana if applicable

nature (what is Ulfe): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
arcana (what is Ulfe?): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


What Olek figures out:
As you look closer at his broad face, you discern characteristics of a creature with giant blood. The roundness of his head, his baldness, his thickness, his seven foot height - these all add up to an ogre.

But something behind his eyes, in his proper and calm manner of speaking, makes you think he's not just a descendant of club carrying, skull bashing brute. He has an intelligence about him, and while you've heard of ogre treasure hordes you've never heard of an ogre to dress in robes and decorate his room.

You notice the fire gem glittering on his chest. You remembers reading about traditions of fire sorcerers and their using of gems to hone their powers. This could be such an item.

1,251 to 1,300 of 1,591 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Haven's Cross Introduction All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.