Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Gryphon Gold's Rise of the Runelords Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master Ludomancer


1,801 to 1,850 of 1,893 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

A history or arcana check can identify it.

Lym:
You have no idea who Alaznist is.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

For great knowledge! Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31; Knowledge (history 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15.)


Lym:
You know that the seven-pointed star was a symbol connected to magic in ancient Thassilon. The purpose of the device is unknown to you.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

"This is a symbol of Thassilon's magic," Lym says as she turns the seven-pointed star in her hands. "The exact purpose, though... A moment. Occultum Video."

Lym makes a pass over the star with one hand while she chants the simple spell.

Lym casts Detect Magic and looks at everything in the room.


Lym:
You don't see anything magical.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6
Spoiler:
HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions) Init +6, Perc +5

Rhianni watches the new woman's behavior as she tries to discover the woman's strengths.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

"No magical auras at all," Lym sighs. "By the shape, however, I would hazard a guess that it might be some kind of key."


Male Human Rogue 4

"Then let's see if we can find a lock that it fits"


What now?


I believe there was another room yet. Let's go there. Markum and Vuvo will listen at the door.
Markum Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21
Vuvo Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 Scent, aid another


Vuvo sniffs at the doors and lets out a low-pitched growl.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 25/15/21; CMD: 23; Perc: +13; Init: +6; Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxim scans with detect evil.


Male Human Rogue 4

Seeing a now familiar look of concentration in Praxim's eyes, Quinion readies his weapons.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

Lym mutters the word for the Detect Magic spell again and falls back, letting those with better armour and weapons take the front.


Praxim:
You detect a strong evil aura beyond the doors.

Lym:
You detect a magic aura of moderate power behind the doors.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 25/15/21; CMD: 23; Perc: +13; Init: +6; Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxis knocks an arrow to his bow, takes aim at the door, and nods to Markum.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

"There is a magical emanation behind that door!" Lym hisses. "Its strength is not inconsiderable! Be careful!"

The veiled woman makes an arcane gesture and hisses Words of Power: "Lornica magica me vela!" A shimmer of force appears around her.

Lym casts Mage Armor, just to be on the safe side.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6
Spoiler:
HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions) Init +6, Perc +5

Rhianni stays back, consulting her cards in a quick reading of the past, the present and the future. First she picks The Idiot, unsure whether this represents the current party or what might have been behind the door, some act she cannot tell. Then The Hidden Truth appears, which she reads as the discovery behind the door, though it is not known for good or ill. Finally, she picks the Wanderer, that the hidden truth will reveal that this is not the end, but merely the beginning.

She stands back, expectantly.

3d54 ⇒ (35, 28, 29) = 92 The Idiot, The Hidden Truth, The Wanderer


With everyone ready, Markum wonders when it began to fall to him to be the one to bust open the doors, then he opens the door with a loud bark which is echoed by Vuvo.


Try as you may, you fail to bust through the doors. The stone doors are locked and bear no handles. An indented outline of a seven-pointed star, its shape covered by hollows and slits, graces the spot where the handles should be.


"Huh. Maybe we could try the key since knocking isn't working." Comments a much deflated Markum as he rubs his bruised shoulder.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

Lym wordlessly hands Markum the key and falls back to her previous position.


"What? You couldn't just..." Markum points to the door then sighs as he uses what he hopes is the key to the door.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

"I'm not as physically formidable as you are, friend Markum," Lym says, without even a trace of embarrassment.


The star fits snugly in the indentation and locks into place, leaving a handle to pull open the doors with.

Map

The room is lit by a ten-foot-wide pit of flickering fire that fills the room with a strange humid heat and the smell of burning hair. In the northern corners of the room, wooden risers each hold several dozen golden candles that burn without melting, while to the south the wall bears an immense carving a seven-pointed star.

No one seems to be here.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

Again, Lym casts Detect Magic, and stands on tiptoes to look over the others into the room, hoping to pinpoint the source of the magical aura she sensed - besides, you know, the everburning candles.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 25/15/21; CMD: 23; Perc: +13; Init: +6; Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxim scans the room with detect evil, trying to pinpoint its source.


Praxim and Lym detect evil and magic, respectively. Just then, an oversized barghest appears in the back of the room, behind the pool. Its form seems to constantly wink in and out of reality.

Map

Round 1

"Despair, all of you, for Malfeshnekor will feed on your corpses." A wave of great sadness washes over you. (Everyone make a Will save DC 19 or take -2 on attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls.)

PCs act last.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6
Spoiler:
HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions) Init +6, Perc +5

From the back, Rhianni watches Lym go on tiptoe to look in. She shakes her head, wondering what will be revealed, what is 'The Hidden Truth'.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 25/15/21; CMD: 23; Perc: +13; Init: +6; Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Will 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Despite the sadness washing over him, Praxim still activates his smite evil and let's loose with arrows.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 2 - 2 + 1 - 2 = 25 smite, sad, PBS, rapid
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 4 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 4 - 2 + 1 = 5 +another 4 if this is an evil outsider
Attack 2: 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 9 + 2 - 2 + 1 - 2 = 17 smite, sad, PBS, rapid
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 4 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 4 - 2 + 1 = 11
Both arrows ignore DR, all allies gain Precise Shot feat for one round. Please adjudicate whatever miss chance is appropriate.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

Will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10.
Initiative check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5.

Lym grunts with discomfort as the wave of despair washes over her, but her hands are already moving in arcane gestures.

"Despair yourself," she growls as she claws at the air. "Terra pinguis!" she chants -- and a thick layer of black grease rises from the stones beneath the goblin-faced monstrosity's feet!

Lym casts Grease on the ground the barghest is standing on. Reflex save DC15 or fall prone.


Couple things to add:
For every attack roll everyone makes, roll 1d2-1.
Also, the creature is large size and an evil outsider, so modify rolls accordingly.


Will 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Markum and Vuvo rush in
Markum Scimitar +1:
to hit 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 damage 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Vuvo Bite:
to hit 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 trip 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Male Human Rogue 4

Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Quinion shakes his head, trying to clear it, and then moves in next to Vuvo to attack (I am presuming that Vuvo is flanking with Markum).

"Move over, you big lump."
Shortsword 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 - 2 = 21 - Dmg:1d6 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 1 - 2 = 5....'phasing roll' 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 25/15/21; CMD: 23; Perc: +13; Init: +6; Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Okay, so Praxims' attacks were:

Attack 26; damage 7; phase: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Attack 18; damage 13; phase: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

The first of those hits (if either) gets another +4 damage bonus.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6
Spoiler:
HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions) Init +6, Perc +5

Rhianni feels the black waves of despair, but in her mind her mother's face smiles on her, protecting her from its deepest anguish. She starts to speak, "Such a black heart cannot take the goodness from your souls. For the light of the gods guides Praxim against this evil. As Iomedae herself, who once fought the evil of her days, ascending to godhood and immortality. For you and Markum will once more be the hero of the hour, such that your deeds will be retold in Inns and Taverns far and wide. Pick up your weapons with resolve to fight the beast within, all shall be heroes and heroines of the tales to come." she continues to tell of the glories to come, filling your hearts with courage against this foe.

As she does this, she takes from her pocket a wand.

Will save 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Initiative 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Bardic Performance 1 of 9, +1 attack and damage, +1 on saving throws against charm and fear.


Oops! I didn't subtract 2 for the failed saves.
Alsco
Markum 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Vuvo 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


Round 1

Lym greases the floor underneath it, but the outsider keeps its footing rather easily, while Rhianni delivers a speech to inspire bravery in her comrades.

Markum, Vuvo, and Quinion circle around the fire pit and converge on the wolf-like beast, but only Markum's attack is timed right to draw blood.

Praxim's first arrow flies through the barghest's space just as it winks out of the material plane, hitting the opposite wall. The second arrow bounces off the creature's skin.

Round 2

The barghest begins chanting the words of a spell in Goblin.

Quinion, Markum, and Vuvo get an AoO.

Map


Markum and Vuvo AoO
Markum Scimitar +1: flank
to hit 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 = 19 damage 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Vuvo Bite:
to hit 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 trip 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6
Spoiler:
HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions) Init +6, Perc +5

@Markum .. you have +1 to hit and damage from bardic performance, for yourself and Vuvo.

Round 2

Rhianni stays outside the room, and uses the wand she found to send several bolts of energy at the creature, whilst continuing to speak words of encouragement to bolster the courage of her brave friends.

Uses wand of magic missile - damage 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4) + 2 = 8, if you need the phase for MMs 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

As a free action continue Bardic Performance 2 of 9, +1 attack and damage, +1 on saving throws against charm and fear to allies within hearing distance.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

Lym knows Goblin. Spellcraft check to identify what this ugly creep is casting: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18.

Lym curses quietly as the barghest keeps his feet, but her thoughts are racing.

"The foul beast is not entirely here," she hisses to Rhianni. "Keep hitting him with the wand, I will support you."

Lym cups her hands in front of her chest and summons a dart of pure force, which lances the barghest's flesh.

Evoker ability: Force Missile. Automatic hit for 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 25/15/21; CMD: 23; Perc: +13; Init: +6; Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxim's attacks, if he can make them:

Attack 1:
Phase: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Attack: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 - 2 - 2 = 11 PBS, IC, feat, smite, sad, rapid
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 - 2 = 9 PBS, IC, feat, smite, sad

Attack 2:
Phase: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Attack: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 9 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 - 2 - 2 = 22 PBS, IC, feat, smite, sad, rapid
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 8 - 2 = 17 PBS, IC, feat, smite, sad


Lym:
He's casting rage.


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

"Beware!" Lym shouts. "It is casting a spell that enrages passions to the point that you lose self-control! Disrupt its casting, quickly!"


Quinion attacks.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 2 + 2 = 9
Damage: 3d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 4, 3) + 1 = 12
Miss: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1


You don't need to roll miss chance for magic missiles since they automatically hit.

Round 2

The barghest's defenses hold up against Markum, Vuvo, and Quinion's attack, allowing him to complete the spell. Its eyes become flooded with intense anger and saliva drips from its toothy grin. "No mage...I'm in absolute control!" The beast's muscles flex and, overall, it appears more virile.

Rhianni and Lyn pelt the evil being with bolts of magic force, each barely stinging its hide. One of Praxim's arrows hits, causing noticeable damage.

Markum, Vuvo, and Quinion are up.


We are so going to die.

Markum Scimitar +1: bard song, flank
to hit 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 8 + 1 + 2 = 27 damage 1d6 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 1 = 10
1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

Vuvo Bite: bard song, flank
to hit 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 1 + 2 = 15 damage 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 = 8 trip 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
1d2 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6
Spoiler:
HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions) Init +6, Perc +5

Uses wand of magic missile - damage 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 = 7
As a free action continue Bardic Performance 3 of 9, +1 attack and damage, +1 on saving throws against charm and fear to allies within hearing distance.

Rhianni stays outside by the door, looking to ensure that the door can be shut if the others care to make a hasty exit. Once more she sends two bolts of power from the wand, seeking and striking the barghest and ripping through its hide. "What weakness, we shall find and use it to strike it down, have courage my friends." so she continues her oratory.

Knowledge (Planes) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15 to know about a barghest


Female Half-Orc Wizard 5/Cyphermage 2; Init. +2; Perception +3; AC 17 (+3 Dex*, +1 armour, +3 Mage Armour.); HP 44/50; Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8

"Die, you Goblin-faced freak!" Lym shouts, and unleashes another dart of force.

Auto-hit for 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 of force damage.


Rhianni and Lym, you're getting ahead of me. It's still round 2.

Round 2

Markum draws blood again, while Vuvo continues to snip at air. Both of Quinions blades hit, but seem ineffective at hurting the barghest.

Round 3

Malfeshnekor focuses on Markum, lunging at him. It catches the druid's head in its maw, biting down with a sickening crunch (39 crit dmg), and then tears open his body with it's claws (29 dmg). Markum falls to the ground, torn apart beyond recognition and repair.

Markum is dead.

1,801 to 1,850 of 1,893 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gryphon Gold's Rise of the Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.