Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Gryphon Gold's Rise of the Runelords Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master Ludomancer


1,651 to 1,700 of 1,893 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni, remains in the shadows as best she watching and waiting.


The party enters the room, searching for trouble. For many seconds, nothing happens. Then, emerging from the stone surroundings, three shadows appear and lunge at the intruders!

No surprise round.

Initiative: Quinion, Rhianni, Markum, shadows, Praxim

Map


Male Human Rogue 4

Quinion moves southeast (through Vuvo) then south in order to engage the easternmost shadow, leaving a clear path for Praxim. Knowing it will have little effect, he strikes anyway.

Shortword 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19 - Dmg: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 - Alas, half dmg and no precision for incorporeal


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60
Quinion Trepanar wrote:

Quinion moves southeast (through Vuvo) then south in order to engage the easternmost shadow, leaving a clear path for Praxim. Knowing it will have little effect, he strikes anyway.

Shortword 1d20+9 - Dmg: 1d6+1 - Alas, half dmg and no precision for incorporeal

The problem is, unless that sword is magical, there's no damage, and I don't think anybody has magical weapons (given that we sold them in town...).


Can't you channel energy?

Vuvo lunges at a shadow with his magicked fangs while Markum summons a ball of flame to injure the undead apparitions.

Vuvo Bite: magic fang
to hit 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 1 = 17 damage 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 = 10
that same one, if not taken out by Vuvo, needs to make a Reflex save DC 14 or take 3d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 1) = 7 damage.


Male Human Rogue 4

You are entirely correct. Quinion's sole contribution this fight will be as a distraction.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni stands at the rooms entrance, sending a bolt from her wand at the shadow fighting Quinion, not wanting to get close to the shadows.

Magic missiles from wand 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2) + 2 = 5 36 charges left


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

He can channel energy, and that's the plan. I just didn't realize we were as well equipped to fight these things as we are. Yay us!!

After the shadows, Pracim will blow two charges of lay on hands to channel 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5 in a burst at all three. Will save reduces to half.


Round 1

Quinion heads off the advancement of one of the shadows, his sword swinging harmlessly through the incorporeal being. Rhianni backs him with a damaging shot from her wand.

Vuvo advances and, through magical means, is able to bite into a shadow's wispy form. Markum follows up the attack with a ball of flame, incinerating the dog's target.

One of the shadows swats at Quinion, who avoids its touch. The other two shadows reach out with their translucent hands, one of them swiping through Vuvo's body. The dog cries in agony (6 STR dmg).

Energy bursts out from Praxim, tearing through the shadows. Vuvo's mark vaporizes, leaving two enemies.

Map

Round 2.


Markum steps over to fight alongside his friend. Rather than attack he moves his ball of fire to the next shadow.
Vuvo redoubles his efforts and attacks the shadow again.

Vuvo Bite: magic fang, -6 str,
to hit 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 1 - 3 = 18 damage 1d6 + 4 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 - 3 = 8


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni directs the next bolt at shadow fighting Quinion.
Magic missiles from wand 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 2 = 9 35 charges left


Male Human Rogue 4

Quinion will continue to strike as if he could have an effect, hoping to tempt the shadow to direct its attacks at him.


Fire damage: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 4) = 14

Rhianni hits a shadow with another bolt, harder this time, and Vuvo finishes off the shadow next to Quinion.

Quinion rolls his sphere of flame towards the last shadow, burning it completely and causing it to evaporate.

End of combat.


With the undead vanquished, Markum quickly tends to Vuvo.
Lesser Restoration 1d4 ⇒ 1


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

"So I wonder what they were doing here? Look around there maybe something important."

perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Rhianni:
You don't see anything that looks important.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

"So is anyone hurt? or are you going to carry on." After she had searched through the room and alcoves, she looks around. "So, there's no other way out of this place, we must go back and continue our exploration elsewhere."


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

"There must be something here, a hidden door or something."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Praxim:
You find a door in between the two statues on the west wall.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

"Here," Praxim says, pointing to a section of wall. "Quinion, come have a look."


Markum doesn't say anything about Vuvo's injury, but gives him a concerned look.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Does Vuvo have any outward signs of a severe injury, limping that sort of thing? If so, Rhianni will ask Markum if she can look at Vuvo, comfort him and discover an injury.


I don't think that the rules say that there's any outward sign for a shadow's strength draining touch, but I would assume that Vuvo is left 'pale' or looks a bit sickly after such an ordeal. In any case, Markum would not object at you administering to him.


Male Human Rogue 4

"Certainly"
Quinion walks over, and takes a look at the door (Trapfinding: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13...Feh).
"Looks safe to me"


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni seeing no outward signs of injury on Vuvo, merely comforts the animal, "There's nothing more I can do to help you friend, his sickness is beyond the magics I am able to meld together." She stokes Vuvo once more as she watches the others study the door in the wall.


The secret door gives way to a branching hallway.

Map


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

First set of stairs? Praxim dashes past that opening to check the second branch while waiting for others to check the first one.


Markum and Vuvo linger in the back of the group.


The second set of stairs leads to another door just around the corner.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni follows Quinion towards the first set of stairs, "Can you see anything?"

A the while hoping Quinion checks for traps.


Male Human Rogue 4

Quinion will indeed move slowly and keep an eye out for Traps as they move down the first (non-door) stairway
Trapfinding: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

"I'd say we investigate the open stairs here before going through the door"


Quinion:
You don't see any suspicious.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni follows Quinion down the first stairway, as she does she whispers a message into the air, pointing back to Praxim, "We're moving on, join us if it's safe.". She does the same for Markum.

Casts Message to send.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxim blinks in surprise, then nods understanding. "Will do," he whispers back.


"What do you mean by that? Vuvo's hurt and I'm watching him. I'm not scared if that's what you're saying."


Quinion decides it's safe to continue and opens the door.

The sound of sloshing water fills this room, which has nearly collapsed entirely into a large tide pool. What few walls do remain intact here bear detailed and impressive carvings of incredible treasuries filled to overflowing with coins, gems, jewelry, and other items of value. To the east, the walls depict a carving of a towering mountain, its peak carved in the shape of a stern face just above a great palace. Below, the side of the mountain's valley cradles an immense city of spires.

In the pool, remains of what must have been an incredible treasure lie in the sloshing waters. Shattered urns, crumbled stone chests, rusted bits of once beautiful armor and weapons, and other long-ruined treasures from an ancient past lie below. Most impressive of them all is a large, coral-encrusted helmet sized for a giant; the helm measures nearly five feet across, and its full-face guard bears an expression of twisted rage and fangs. The helm itself appears to be made of gold.

Map

DC 30 history check identifies the carvings.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni's eyes are wide open as she scans the horde of treasure. She takes her time standing behind the others as she invokes her magical talent to identify any magical emanations is the area.

Rhianni isn't able to meet get the history DC.
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Cast detect magic


While Rhianni looks over the pool, everyone notices the gold helmet below shift and move, as if it were rotating to look at you.

Rhianni:
After two rounds, you determine there's a single magical aura in the water. Its strength is faint.


Male Human Rogue 4

"Ah, crap"

Quinion begins to sidle around the room so that the helmet never "sees" him, spiralling in closer and closer to the helmet.

Appraise: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24...is the helmet made from real gold?


You'll have to submerge yourself underwater to get a closer look at the helmet.


Markum stands protectively in front of Vuvo with his scimitar at the ready.


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxim scans the helmet with detect evil.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Rhianni stands back, as she seems to study something in the water.

VC:
Is it the helmet that is magical or something else? I assume it'll be something else. If so, can Rhianni determine the school of magic of whatever it is? As you say it'll take 2 rounds, I guess there maybe something else that happens first, to do with the golden helmet. So let me know when I can next act to do something else. Thx


Male Human Rogue 4

As the water deepens, Quinion will begin to swim, keeping an eye out for anything in the water...(Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22)


Quinion swims toward the huge helm. Suddently, the helm rises up to release a pair of immense claws and spindly legs, and Quinion finds himself now face-to-face with a giant hermit crab that lashes out with its claws.

Round 1, PCs act first.

Praxim:
You don't detect any evil.

Rhianni:
I only gave two rounds worth of information since that's how long it was before the creature attacked, I was just giving the others a chance to post if they wanted. If you want to continue your detect spell for a 3rd round, you can do that in the first round of combat.


Female Human (Varisian) Bard 1/Sorcerer 6 HPs: 18/42 AC:13/T11/F12 Fort+3 Ref+4 Will+6(+8 illusions)

Despite the hiatus, Rhianni continues to look at the magical item, hoping to understand more.


Male Human Rogue 4

Swim Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

If Quinion can reach the hermit crab with a quarter move, he will attack, otherwise he will swim in to attack range

Shortsword (Piercing) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18 - Dmg 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 (+2d6 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6 if the crab is considered flat-footed)


Markum wades in to attack the crab wearing the helmet. He has Vuvo stay a safe distance away.
Markum Scimitar:
to hit 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 damage 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


F/R/W: +9/+9/+9 AC/T/FF: 23/15/19 Max HP: 60 Current HP: 60

Praxim starts as the crab appears and, his hands moving in a blur, unleashes two arrows at the crustacean.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Damage 1: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Attack 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage 2: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Quinion stabs the hermit crab in its face, barely piercing its hide. Markum follows with his scimitar, but his swing is deflected by the giant arthropod's shell of a helm. Praxim fires and one of his arrows hits, doing a little damage.

The crustacean snaps with both claws, one of them grabbing and crushing Quinion, cracking ribs (12 dmg + grappled).

Round 2.

Rhianni:
A faint transmutation aura radiates from a small object at the bottom of the pool. It's difficult to see exactly what it is from above water.

1,651 to 1,700 of 1,893 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gryphon Gold's Rise of the Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.