Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Getting the Band Back Together (Inactive)

Game Master Mowque


151 to 200 of 254 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Turn edited in. ...Give me a moment to change it. I didn't realize he was THAT close to dying.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Okay. Keep everything the same about the previous post, EXCEPT the part where she attacks the wizard. Here's how we'll change it:

As Tatalia closes with the wizard again, she lifts her sword up as if to strike him down... then strikes at him with the pommel of her blade.

Nonlethal attack, no piranha strike. -4 from nonlethal, +2 from not having the Piranha Strike penalty.

Nonlethal Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Nicely done.

Tatalia's blow nearly fells the dwarf, slicing a huge gash up his back. His dark, arcane robes are slick with his own blood, leaving a trial across the deck. The dark flesh goes white and he staggers, leaning again the deck of the ship, breathing hard.

Oops. You went and edited it! Right then! Just so you know non-lethal damage doesn't stack with lethal. Ie, he has one HP left but to knock him out with non-lethal you have to do his full HP in non-lethal.
They don't count together.

Rules!:
When you take nonlethal damage, keep a running total of how much you've accumulated. Do not deduct the nonlethal damage number from your current hit points. It is not “real” damage. Instead, when your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you're staggered (see below), and when it exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious

Do you still want to hit him non-lethally?


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Oof. I didn't know that, no. That means pulling punches against this guy will be very hard, since I can't reduce my damage furth- Wait! Slashing Grace says I can deal damage using my Dexterity modifier, not that I have to. Would you allow me to use my STR for damage (0), reducing my damage roll by 4 points? That means, at most, I deal 1d6+4 presently - unless I crit.

I'll do lethal if so, but minimize the damage dealt. Will you want me to reroll, or shall I keep the attack/damage rolls in the previous post (making the attack bonus 18 and the damage 9 due to these changes)?


Works for me. We'll use the old rolls just to speed things along and because you won't decapitate him or anything

The paladin slips around the raging half-orc, seeking to take out the mage.

Half Orc AoO: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

The blow is swift and hard, but the halfing's training allows her to parry the heavy axe without even pausing. She strikes the dwarf wizard, pulling her attack just enough so he collapses in a pool of blood, but not dead. She can distinctly hear thin breathes. He is in the hands of the gods now.

On the smuggler's ship the other pirates are taken care of. Brownwen starts crossing the deck toward Tatalia, unwilling to have her fight alone.

Bad Guys turn

The captain shouts hoarsely, 'No!" as his friend falls in his own blood. He bends over the fallen wizard, obviously administering some rough first aid.

He provokes an AoO if you want to take it?
Larsk, the raging half-orc roars a blood-curdling battle cry at Tatalia and runs behind her. He is now flanking her, using the distracted captain as an ally.

GreatAxe, Flanking: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 2 = 15

The blow misses, striking the wooden deck and sending up a spray of splinters.

You are up


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

She won't take the AoO.

"You can't win this!" the paladin cries as she bounces back away from the half-orc's swing. "Surrender, and I will ensure you are treated honorably and will save those among your crew that I can! Keep fighting and I can promise nothing!"

Using my Standard Action to attempt Diplomacy with the pirate captain. Might there be a circumstance bonus for the situation (crew mostly defeated, friend dying in front of him)? Maintaining Inspire Courage again this round. 5 rounds of Divine Favor remaining.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31

Also, five foot free stepping away from the captain and saving my Swift Action. If the half-orc attacks and misses me, Tatalia will use her immediate action to enter his square as per the Mouser ability.

Also, starting a real time session of Pathfinder in a few minutes. I'll have a 30 minute break at some point in the middle and will check back to see how things are going, and I should be done in 4-5 hours or so.


The paladin's pleas for peace and sanity are not long on the dwarven captain. Looking up from the body of his friend he nods, tears in his eyes.

"Aye, you beat us, whoever you are." He barks to Larsk, "Stand down!"

But the huge half-orc is too crazed to stop so easily. Despite Tatlia moving out of flaking he tries to hit her again, the black iron greataxe moving like a blur.

Greataxe: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Damage: 1d12 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

The blade catches Tatalia but her armor turns the blade, only hitting her with the brute force of the blow. She can tell there will be nasty bruises there tomorrow.

Then the half-orc stands off, breathing hard. She can tell the rage leaving it, and it seems shaky in exhaustion. Behind him Bronwen and all the smugglers surround them.

Luek, looking stunned, "We beat them, and no one even got hurt."

The blood seeping onto the deck seems to indicate otherwise but his crew lets out a ragged cheer.

Out of combat


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia makes good on her word by immediately trying to restore the fallen dwarf before he expires - if he has not expired already - using her holy magic to do so. She does so for the remaining unconscious pirates (once they are disarmed) as well.

"We should anchor both ships for the time being and count our blessings," she tells Captain Luek. "And we should speak - you, Rajeer, and I." She pauses. "That IS Rajeer, yes?"

I'll use however many Lay on Hands uses are necessary to stabilize the pirates that aren't dead. I know one fell into the water, and the one Tatalia fought was immediately knocked unconscious - how many others are still alive but in need of healing? Also, the guy in the water may need to be helped back onto the ships (and disarmed).


The dwarf is close to death but due to her holding back, and the captain's quick (if crude) first aid, she manages to bring him back from the brink.

"I am Rajeer, yes." He shakes his head, "It is not a dwarven name, I know. You are not the first to doubt the name." There is no smile or laugh in his voice.

Luek nods and says, "Clear back folks, give us some room!"

Everyone takes a few steps back, but Bronwen remains close by. She seems to melt into the shadows a bit and the paladin has an odd thought if the druid didn't want Tatalia to notice her, she wouldn't.

A useful skill.

"So, what now, Luek?" Rajeer asks, voice grim, "You take my ship and throw us over the side?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia considers something for a moment, then looks over to Captain Rajeer. "As a Paladin of Sarenrae, the Healing Light, I will not allow any harm to come to you or your shipmates." Her tone does not allow for any argument from any witnessing party. "I do not know what debts are owed and why bad blood exists between the two of you, but I must know why these events transpired today. You would each do well to be fair and honest with your words. I will execute no sentences for deeds long past - what was done has been done - but your crew did board Luek's ship with intent to slay those aboard, and I must know why before I can make a judgment."

How many Lay on Hands uses should I take off BTW? And were all the pirates saved, or did any die from bleeding?


Just one use for the wizard. Your spell was enough to bring him back and then Larsk gave him a potion of CLW. The other pirates were subdued without much harm except for the one you killed at the start

"What gives you that right, the sword?" Rajeer asks, anger and despair in his voice. There is a note on confusion as well and he turns to Luek directly, "How did you con a paladin of Sarenrae to help you smuggle? Is the Dawnflower getting a cut?"

Luek manages to look embarrassed but says, "This is has nothing to do with the trade, Rajeer. A private matter."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

"The 'right' was earned when you threatened to kill the crew with whom I am traveling," the paladin says in a much colder tone. "Or would you prefer that I allow you and your crew to be thrown overboard, sir?"

She has no intention of letting harm come to them, as she previously said, but she's trying to drive a point home. I'll roll Diplomacy if you like.


No, I think he gets the point

Rajeer sighs and leans back, "Fair enough. To be fair, I did give you a chance to surrender."

"So you wish to know why? It is simple enough, Luek here killed my brother."

The smuggler looks outraged and says, "No, I didn't! He got sick and died, it happens."

'Under your care, while you were transporting him! And then instead of facing me like a man, you fled and I didn't hear about you for months, spending the money he carried! Money we were supposed to split."

Luek looks uncomfortable at this but says nothing.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia is quiet for a moment. "Since he has been dead for months... There will be no bringing him back. There are very few in the world who could return him to you." The halfling's tone has regret to it. "Perhaps the debt of wealth, at least, can be settled... But could you both tell me a little more? How and why did your brother come to be under his care? And what was done with the money you took?"

Fair enough. Right now Tatalia is trying to figure out how to settle things - somewhat - between them, and THEN she's going to focus on the "AND BY THE WAY, PIRACY AND SMUGGLING ARE BAD IDEAS" part of things.


Rajeer answers, "It was a few years ago. We have a simple job, getting some stuff into Cheliax past customs. Nothing evil, you understand, just silks, spices, that sort of thing. Anyway, payment was delayed so my brother stayed until the money could be given. After that, Luek here was supposed to slip ashore, get him, and bring him back to the hideout."

he glares at the smuggler who looks unhappy all of this is being brought to light.

"He was sick when he came aboard, Rajeer. Coughing blood and all that. We tried out best, Undark and I, but he had some Chelish fever. he died on our way back."

"And the money?" Rajeer asks.

'Payment for his medical care..." Luek says, but it is a weak answer and Tatalia knows it.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia nods as she listens to the story, her expression difficult to read. "And since then, Captain Rajeer, you took to piracy? Or is this your first act?"

Then she looks to Luek, and asks him "How much do you owe him - and how much are each of these vessels worth?"


'The ships?" Luek asks, seemingly confused. "Mine is worth about 4,000 maybe, if I find a buyer. I ain't selling her, mind you."

Rajeer ponders it and says, "Mine is a bit more, perhaps about 6,000 coins in a proper port if I cleaned her up." The dwarf's eyes narrow, 'Why do you ask? Getting her appraised before you take her off me?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

"Because if I were not here, your ship would be forfeit already to Captain Luek were you to have lost - and you had every intent, I believe, of making his ship and valuables yours when you had his ship boarded." Tatalia looks from one captain to the other. "But I am here, and Luek owes you a debt. Your ship he has won in this battle - but instead, your ship will be sold, and the coin he owes you given to you from that amount, with fair portions of the rest given as compensation to your crew befitting their rank, and to the family of the man who... who lost his life today."

The reminder that the one person slain in the battle was brought low by her hand gives Tatalia some visible regret. She steels herself and carries on:

"After Rajeer and his crew have been compensated for the debt you owe, the remaining gold shall go to you and your crew, Luek." The halfling, notably, makes no request for any part of these spoils. "Rajeer and his crew will be disembarked at the next safe port - perhaps our present destination? - and while they will be prisoners until then, they will be treated well. In this way, Luek shall first be given the spoils earned in fighting piracy, and from those spoils will repay his debt to you, and we shall agree to put an end to this violence so nobody else has to die."

Tatalia gives the two captains a serious, hopeful look in turn, inwardly knowing the settlement must sound preposterous to them each. "Can we secure a measure of peace this way?" she asks. "Can you agree to this and put an end to the bad blood between you?"


Rajeer stands up, a bit taller then Tatalia much more solidly built.

"You won today, aye. Through skill with a blade, I'll give you that. But if you think any gold, any deal will put the past behind me, then you are a fool. I'll take your money, aye, but our score be not settled, Luek."

The smuggler looks just as outraged, "They try to kill us and then we pay them? My crew gets attacked, my men hurt, and we compensate them? I owe him nothing. The debt was to his brother, who died."

Rajeer start angrily arguing that the death of his brother entitled him to an extra share. It gets quite loud and raucous. These are men used to getting what they want, not compromising. They are not evil, but neither are they men given to compassion.

Bronwen steps in and whispers into Tatalia's ear, "We won. Either kill them or let them go. We have more important matters to attend to. What do we care about a few bickering pirates and smugglers?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia balls a fist at the argument in front of her, and stiffens as Bronwen speaks. She shoots an uncharacteristically angry look at her and says sharply, "I care about every life."

With that, she steps closer up to the two men and glares at each of them. "If you will not heed a case made for peace, then how about a more practical one?" she snaps. "Luek, I have sworn that no harm will come to Rajeer; and one way or another, I will see him brought safely to shore, and if you two cannot make peace then he will threaten you again - and there may not be anyone around to save you next time.

"Rajeer, your pursuit of vengeance will only get you and your men killed, even if not by this captain's hands. You have been bested once, true, and if you keep to your present course you will meet your end at the hands of someone far less merciful than me.

"So make peace, both of you, while you still can, if only because it's what's best for your both of your hides. Find a deal you can both agree on or live to regret it."

Diplomacy or Intimidate?


Your choice. Intimidate (to me) is appealing to force and consequences while Diplomacy is appealing to better nature and logic. How is Tatalia playing it?


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Well, it's not her own force that she'd be using, but she's definitely appealing to consequences. I.E. There's logic, too, but they didn't respond well to an appeal to better nature... Alright, Intimidate it is. Again, she's not threatening them, but she's trying to make sure they realize bad things can and will happen if they continue as they are.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Tatalia's words fall like lead weights, heavy and firm. Her logic is firm, her words hard. Bronwen, usually unflappable, takes a step back, face re-shrouded in darkness.

Slowly, reluctantly Rajeer puts out a hand, "It is a fairer deal then I deserve or expected. Aye." Tatalia notes the dwarf is covered in maritime tattoos.

Just as unhappily Luek puts out a hand, saying, "If you think it is best, ma'am." they shake hands quickly and let go.

Luek looks to the paladin and says, 'We chain them up?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

The paladin seems to calm after that, though her expression remains stoic. She notices Bronwen's retreat, and she wonders for a moment if she spoke too harshly. She shakes her head and focuses on the matter at hand.

"That is your decision, Captain, so long as they are treated fairly and given rations." Tatalia looks back over to the dwarf. "I don't have a job aboard this ship, so I'll make it mine to watch them. Rajeer, you and your crew will have your equipment returned to you after we've made port.

"I need to ask - Rajeer, what was the name of the man that... the man I killed?" Tatalia twists her hand about her holy symbol. "I would like to make sure he receives a proper burial at sea, however that is done."


Rajeer looks up, face unreadable, 'His name was Smarish. He was not an overly holy man, a few prayers to Gozreh now and then, like most. We have no proper cleric aboard."

Luek quickly orders the crew split, so both ships can be crewed. It is a fairly technical process, spreading out the required knowledge. After he is done he comes over to Tatalia and says, "The pirate ship will need to go to another port then where we are going, ma'am. We aren't exactly docking in Westcrown. I told the crew to take her and sell her in Manaket and wait for us. I don't want them waiting in any Chelish city. Agreed?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia nods in answer. Preoccupied with her thoughts, it takes her a moment to realize she has not yet spoken. "Agreed," is what she says when she makes that realization, and she starts for her cabin. "I need to gather a few things for the burial. Thank you, Captain Luek."

Seems like as good a place as any to skip forward. I'll take 10 on a knowledge (religion) check to know how to properly conduct the burial at sea (10+9=19), and have her do that off-screen with those that knew the man attending. Then Tatalia will have her final meal of the night and seek out Bronwen for one more conversation.


Works for me

Tatalia searches her memory. She isn't an expert on Gozreh rituals but she can do a serviceable funeral. Taking the body, she winds it in clean sailcloth, weights it, and lowers it into the calm waters. She wishes the sun was up, to add Sarenrae's blessing but Gozreh cares naught for light or dark.

Her meal is simple, cold chicken (the last of the fresh meat) and stale biscuits dipped in gravy.

She finds Bronwen on deck, staring at the dark sea. As usual she is in shadow, under the quiet sails. Around them, sailors finish the business of making both ships ready to sail.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia steps on up beside Bronwen, her hands folded over one another. "I am sorry," are her first words. Then, "Once we've docked, we'll make for Westcrown as soon as we have a plan for how to traverse the city without issue. My oaths might make that... complicated."

Bronwen might know which oath in particular she's talking about - the one that means Tatalia isn't allowed to lie. Worshiping Sarenrae gives her a bit of leeway, but paladins specifically can't lie without violating their code.

"There's still the matter of the boy," she adds with a frown. "I worry that we may be forced to grant him his wish for a time. I doubt Luek will look favorably on any case I make for taking him home, and even then it would only be after they make port in Manaket. And you are right: we need to focus on this task of ours."


The elf is silent for a long moment, so long Tatalina wonders if Bronwen even heard her. When she does speak, her voice is soft. "You were stronger then I expected. This is good, we will need it."

'So, how do we plan to move around Westcrown? A halfling paladin of Sarenrae will make waves if we go openly."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia is surprised by the compliment, but remains silent so as to let the elf speak. "I will try to speak as little of my profession as I can," the halfling says when Bronwen is finished, clearly feeling a little unprepared. "My oaths demand I act with honor, but I can maintain silence and allow you to do much of the talking. I will keep my holy symbol under my clothes, and we may say that we are traveling together.

"If we are asked why we are entering the city..." Tatalia furrows her brow in thought. "I suppose it would not be a lie to say that we were hoping to meet some friends in town before traveling elsewhere. That would not be a breach of my code.

"That is, unless, you know of a better way. I will listen if you do - this is all new to me."


The moon comes from behind a cloud and, for an instant lights Bronwen's face. The dark deep eyes, the elegant nose, the dusky skin glow for a second, then vanish into blackness.

'Westcrown is a liberal city by Chelish standards. It is a major port of the Inner Sea but even there....no halfling can walk freely there. Even if we did get past the gates, they would find some false charge to arrest you and lock you away. Your kind is not welcome in the lands we are heading to and the law will not protect you." She says this last gently, as if to a child.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Tatalia stares out at sea and listens to the creaking of the ship. In the end, she sighs. "I will have to think on this," she decides. "If you devise a plan, please let me know."

Quietly, the halfling departs for her cabin. There she writes slowly in her journal. Then she dresses herself for bed, sets her face into the pillow, and goes to sleep.


Love the journal entry

Three more days past, uneventful. The truce between pirates and smugglers is a tense one and more then a few minor fights and arguments break out, but Tatalia is there to broker peace. Still, the paladin will rest easier once this whole deal is done.

Finally the time has come for the two ships to part ways. the smuggler ship, the Slippery Elm will make the final approach to the cove outside Westcrown while the pirate ship will head for Manaket.

Luek finds her on deck and says, 'The boy, Farnell. Do you want him with us or to manaket? It'll be safer there. Gods know what we'll run into in Cheliax."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Thanks! I enjoy writing 'em.

"It will be safer there," agrees the halfling with a nod, but she looks uncertain. "I worry, though. You were attacked once on the sea - that could happen again. I would feel best if I knew he would be heading to Andoran as soon as this business was concluded, but you owe me nothing, so I cannot ask that."

Rubbing her hand across her face, the young paladin settles on suggesting "Maybe we should ask the boy. He's old enough to understand, child though he may be. I wasn't much older when I tried to fight off a group of muggers in an alley." Tatalia can't help but snort.


Luek shrugs, "All I know it a boy will be a burden in Black Bay, for sure. It is a rough place, and a young boy like that is a magnet for the slavers."

But the man does order a sialor to go and fetch the boy, who is peeling potatoes int he hold. Tatalia knows Luek has been agitated since the 'deal' with Rajeer, but hasn't taken it out on the boy (despite the youth being an easy target).

As the sailor hurries off, "So, have you thought about how to get into Westcrown? For one of your...kind, Cheliax is not a friendly land."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

"Plenty," Tatalia mumbles. "More than I'd like to.

"It is a stretch of my code, and the idea is abhorrent, but I could go dressed as a slave." The halfling's voice betrays all her discomfort with the idea. "But that is a last resort. I do not wish to be a symbol of Chelaxian tyranny while in this city.

"If there were some magic I could use to make myself appear... appear as something else, something not a halfling... that would make this task far easier."


Luek nods, "That is one way of doing it. There are spells for such things, perhaps your elven friend might now?" he looks around but Bronwen isn't in sight. The smuggler lowers his voice and adds,'No offense, ma'am, but that one makes my blood cold. Watch yourself if you are alone with her."

Then he straightens and his voice goes back to normal, "Of course, there is always the Bellflower Network, but I'm sure you've thought of that, being a halfling and all."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

She probably WOULD know of that... I'd like to take 10 on Knowledge (Local), giving me a 17. What all does Tatalia know? Perhaps there's a circumstance modifier for her having been the child of an escaped slave, and for being from Andoran?


Tatalia knows of the Bell Flower Network of course, what halfling didn't? A underground organization of halflings, dedicated to freeing slaves and finding them new homes, often is distant lands. Based in Cheliax, they have deep ties to both Androan (her home) and Rhandoum. Brave but hidden, legendary by anonymous, invisible yet ever-present, they are the heroes of many halfling tales.

All that said, Tatalia has no idea how to contact any of them.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

"That is... a good idea," Tatalia says after a pause. "Though I don't know how I'll find them. But they take halflings out of Andoran - bringing one in seems a bit more dangerous, and would take some convincing."

Tatalia thinks on what Luek says of Bronwen, and adds quietly, "Just remember that whatever her faults, she was quick to help when the pirates attacked. She's..." The halfling starts to add something else, but doesn't.

She changes the subject again. "I will have to see if the Bellflower Network is willing to help, I suppose - if I can find them."


Luek turns to her, a bit surprised, 'Well, I assume, being what you are...well...I mean, I have some contacts. old ones, but they should still be good. I'm not saying I can get you in, but I can probably get you into a meeting with them, if that would help?"

As she speaks Farnell appears on deck, hands still covered with potato grease. 'Yes?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

"That... I would appreciate it, yes," Tatalia says. "Thank you, Captain."

But Farnell comes up as they're speaking, and Tatalia turns to him. She offers the child a smile, then motions for him to join her and the captain.

"This ship will be sailing toward Cheliax," Tatalia explains, "and the other to Manaket in the south. Cheliax is no safe place to be, so we think you should go aboard the vessel sailing south." Tatalia gives Farnell a very serious look. "But it could be a while before you see your family - you would have to stay with the crew for some time, and they'll eventually be able to bring you home.

"If that sits well with you, that's what we'll do. But perhaps we can arrange for a letter to be sent to your family. What would you like to tell them?"

She's leaving out the possibility of him following her. She wants to see if he brings it up himself, and see how he reacts in general. She's still not sure whether he should go with Luek's crew or not, but she agrees that it's far safer than going to Cheliax. (But then again, he's apparently made enemies with pirates, and who knows what else.) Her final decision will be made here, though.


Farnell looks crestfallen and says, his voice reaching high pitches, 'But, I want to go with you! You are going on an adventure, right into Chelix itself! Fighting the demons and freeing the slaves! I don't want to be left behind, peeling potatoes..." He grimaces, wiping his hands.

"Take me with you, please?"He asks, face earnest, "I promise I won't get in your way...I can..I can polish your armor and sword for you! I could be a big help."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Another roll post - what sort of hunch does Tatalia have about what he'll do if she doesn't take him? Does she think he'll try and start his own adventure again by, say, sneaking off the ship and into the city of Manaket? Or sneaking back aboard this ship as it's headed to Cheliax?

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Actually, crap. That's a bad roll. I'll make a proper post in the morning.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Thanks for waiting. Retail be ROUGH.

Tatalia tries very hard to make a good judgment on Farnell's words. A torn, uncertain look stretches across her face, and she covers it with her hand, pinching her nose. Finally, she heaves out a sigh and mutters a phrase in Halfling:

Halfling:
"Sarenrae, please help me watch this boy."

"Alright," says the paladin as she pulls her hand away from her face. "I'll take you, but only under a few conditions: one, you need to prove to me you understand exactly what you're getting into. Second, when I say it's time for you to go home, you will go home. And thirdly..." Tatalia gives Farnell her most serious look. "You have to hide from danger. Don't try to fight, don't try to do anything that could get you hurt, and I'll let you come with me.

"If you can show me you understand how dangerous this place is we're going, and if you can promise all that - and you mean it - I will bring you with me. I'll even show you a little about fighting with a sword, but only if swear that you'll do your best to stay safe. Deal?"


Farnell wilts a bit under Tatalia's serious gaze. Her boyish face whitens a bit and he nods quickly, "Sure, sure!" Then he grins, bright teeth shining.

Luek shakes his head in disapproval but says, "Time to split up the ships, ma'am. Any last orders before we do that make the final approach in?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

"Go make sure you've made any farewells you feel you should, Farnell," Tatalia urges, gesturing for the boy to go. "Then have yourself a light meal and wait for me down below. We'll start training today."

Once the boy leaves, Tatalia turns back toward Luek. "I have no orders to give," the halfling says. "Though the sooner we can arrange that meeting, the better. I hope to arrange passage home for the boy through the Bellflower Network, if I can negotiate it. If they can help slaves back to Andoran, they can help him as well.

"I know you are a good man, but having seen what the seas have to offer, I fear he may be at danger aboard the Elm as well as in Cheliax. For now, I'd rather keep him where I can see him." Tatalia bows her head in respect to the old sailor. "Thank you for having me aboard, Mr. Crowel. I know we've yet a ways to go, but your kindness has been a true blessing. I only hope that one day you can put your days of smuggling behind you and pursue less dangerous, more legal ventures."


Luek shrugs, "Sailing is dangerous, be is smuggling or open trade. The storm doesn't care if you have your papers, and the kraken doesn't inspect your goods before pulling you down. Gozreh isn't particular, ma'am, unlike your god. He suits me."

He does seem pleased that she doesn't think he is a total lost cause though, and there is a ghost of a smile as he gives the final orders.

Tatlia watches the pirate ships turn and head south, slowly dwindling from a ship to a black dot, to a mere smudge on the horizon. Another entire day passes, the sun growing hot overhead. Unlike the gentle warming glow in Andoran, here it seems an infernal eye. Bronwen hides in the shade all day, watching the choppy waves.

Finally just as dusk starts to cloak them, Tatalia can make out a distant, rocky shore looming up.

Cheliax.

The mere name inspires the paladin with a thrill of dread and sadness. How many lived under the evil yoke in this land? Not just the halflings (although their plight was worse) but event he humans, even the masters of the great estates. All was tainted by evil pacts and magics. The sheer scale of the diabolical empire was awe-inspiring.

How could she hope to avoid it?

She spots a tiny tongue of flame leap into view on the shore. She worries until she sees Trilla (the young sailors who gave her the clue to Farnell's presence) point and smile. "That is our breth, lady paladin."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler (Mouser) 1 / Paladin (Oath of the People's Council) 4
Defenses/Stats/Resources:
HP 31/40 | AC 24 T 16 FF 20 | Fort+11 Ref +13 Will+10 | Initiative +4 | Perception +8 | Sense Motive +5 | Bardic Performance Rounds 8/14 | Lay on Hands 4/6 | Panache 4/4

Can we assume that Tatalia trained Farnell some during the last day?

Tatalia stares at the distant shore with a grim expression. A breath of relief escapes her as the young man speaks, and she nods before turning to him. "Thank you, Trilla. How soon do you believe we'll be docking?"


What do you train him in? Make an intelligence roll to teach him

Trilla looks around, "Captian will wait until nightfall, so maybe an hour or so? Are you nervous? I'll be honest, I always am. The rocks are mighty sharp in this bay..." The sailor looks over the side at the dark water.

Anything before you head in?

151 to 200 of 254 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Getting the Band Back Together- Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.