Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Gangsters & Ghouls - Nights in Port-a-Lucine

Game Master B_Wiklund

A dispossessed noble family with a shadowy past is back in town looking to even the score.


201 to 250 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 14

Before the warning:

"Cheap? Tonight maybe but I bet you thrice their fee that you'd be in a healer's shop within the week paying 10 times what tonight cost you to stop the burning whenever you relieve yourself. I've seen enough of my shipmates make their mistakes to learn that when whores get too cheap they can be rather more expensive than their asking price."

After hearing the warning:

Nicholas reaches in his quote and grips his pistol. He leans over to Gisele and whispers, "I haven't spotted them yet. Which ones are they? I could put a few to sleep but casting may reveal more than we'd like. If the odds are against us, however, it may be safer to neutralize a few before the guns start going off."


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Becacine feels nervous all of a sudden -- not used to being caught unawares, and her eyes not adjusting well to the hazy darkness making her all the more vulnerable.

Hoping that Gisele's warning means none of us will be flat-footed. Readies a spell -- mage armour.


The short man in the ragged top hat winds his way through the crowd to the bar. As he approaches you get a better look at the man. He wears a dirty grey stained coat, loose trousers. A frayed cravaut wraps around his neck. A pair of spectacles hangs on his nose and there is a wild look in his eyes and a mad grin on his unshaven face.
"A gin if you please my kind monsieur!" he calls out to the stony-faced barkeep as he saunters by Arnaud and Yvon. The barkeep mutely turns to grab a bottle. The wild-eyed man addresses the two toughs, "Evening gentlemen, so good to see you this fine night. I sense you are not usual customers here. Yes, there is some class, some distinction I dare say about your bearing."
He eyes Arnaud's brace of weapons, a nervous tittering expression crossing his face. His voice quietens, "I suggest you find another place to quench your thirst, lest something regrettable happen. My friends are not as civilized as I..."

Sense Motive DC 13

Spoiler:
You sense there was something in the way of a signal in how he addressed the barkeep.

Perception DC 11

Spoiler:
The barkeep reached down under the bar where earlier he had been using the bottles behind him

I'm heading to the provincial drama fest tomorrow morning and won't be back until early Sunday morning


Male Human

I used the results of my previous rolls for your post, hope that is acceptable
Arnaud smiles coldly at the man and locks his gaze, then speaks to him in a flat tone.

"Friend, I don't want to give off the impression that I wish you harm, nor your three friends, or the man by the door. I am here for information, and that information can be shared in one of two ways. I'd certainly prefer we share peacefully, and in a mutually beneficial manner, but if that is not your wish, you will share it all the same."

intimidate check:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

He raises his glass to the wild-eyed man, still watching his eyes, then takes a sip.

"I would certainly also prefer the bartender stop rooting around back there for his weapon, so that he too remains unharmed and free to keep serving me this gin. Now let me buy you that drink and let us talk. Like men."

He smiles, cold and heartless, at his new friend.


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Giselle gets up from her seat and slowly moves towards the door where she knows the other shooter is located.

She is trying not to bring attention to herself, so is that a stealth or bluff roll??


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1
'Merciful' Arnaud wrote:

I used the results of my previous rolls for your post, hope that is acceptable

Arnaud smiles coldly at the man and locks his gaze, then speaks to him in a flat tone.

"Friend, I don't want to give off the impression that I wish you harm, nor your three friends, or the man by the door. I am here for information, and that information can be shared in one of two ways. I'd certainly prefer we share peacefully, and in a mutually beneficial manner, but if that is not your wish, you will share it all the same."

intimidate check:1d20+6

He raises his glass to the wild-eyed man, still watching his eyes, then takes a sip.

"I would certainly also prefer the bartender stop rooting around back there for his weapon, so that he too remains unharmed and free to keep serving me this gin. Now let me buy you that drink and let us talk. Like men."

He smiles, cold and heartless, at his new friend.

Sense motive 1d20 ⇒ 14

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 7

"As my accomplice here is saying, we don't want any trouble." As Giselle stands up, Yvon sets a meaty hand on the hilt of his saber and slips his other hand under his coat, resting on the butt of his pistol.

Intimidate 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Perception: 19 + 1 = 20; Sense Motive: 19 + 5 = 24.

Following Gisele's tip, Becacine, still standing a short distance from the bar, looks at Yvon, Arnaud, and the man in the top hat out of the corner of her eye... and maintains her readiness to act on short notice, while trying to keep her interest in the unfolding scene from becoming too obvious.

Bluff: 5 + 7 = 12.


The wild-eyed man in the top hat eyes Yvon and Arnaud's readied weapons and his gaze falters under Arnaud's withering and intimidating stare. Abruptly, he lets out a high-pitched nervous peal of laughter. He recovers after a moment and replies, "I see your point. You are clearly men of mettle. Let me introduce myself." He doffs his hat and with an exaggerated flourish and bow proclaims, "I am Eugene de Rastignac, man of letters, a scribbler, a poet, writer and dreamer." In a low voice Rastignac adds, "And quite unarmed save for my wits."

"As you say you wish to have no trouble but your presence is unsettling to my associates. Let me invite you to a private room yonder. We can talk in there in an atmosphere of ... " He searches for the word, "trust." A toothy grin spreads across his face as he regards Yvon and Arnaud with a wide-eyed look.


Male Human

"Arnaud, friend. Please, lead the way, and remember how I am not unarmed, yes?" Arnaud picks up his glass and salutes Rastignac's associates before following the man to the private room.


The jittery form of Rastignac walks with a bouncy step, pressing through the throng of the Blood of the Vine. He beckons your company to follow him as he leaves the crowd behind and leads you into the narrow pressing hallways beyond the barroom. A variety of private rooms line the side hallway. There is only the dim glow of lanterns illuminating the hallway as he leads you further back. Shortly, he gestures you towards a storage room piled with musty crates. A table and a lit candle stands in the middle. The room at first seems empty but as you enter a man emerges from the shadows of the back room.

The man has a coif of curly hair, with an aquiline face and piercing blue eyes. He is dressed in an elegant coat, green cloak with a ruffled cravaut about his neck. A cane is gripped in his right hand.

Rastignac stops in his tracks, his voice rising with anxiety, "Ah good sir, I did not expect your presence. I am taking care of our guests..."

A rasping hollow voice sounds from the man. It is an unnatural sound that emanates from the stranger's mouth. "I wished to see them for myself." The man strides closer, his cane tapping on the bare flagstones. "You are of the DuSuis family? I suggest you answer truthfully, your lives depend on it."


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1
Wyrd_Wik wrote:


A rasping hollow voice sounds from the man. It is an unnatural sound that emanates from the stranger's mouth. "I wished to see them for myself." The man strides closer, his cane tapping on the bare flagstones. "You are of the DuSuis family? I suggest you answer truthfully, your lives depend on it."

Yvon follows Arnaud into the room, eyeing the new man with the rasping, hollow voice. His hand never wavers from the hilt of his saber.

"We have ties to the DeSuis family, yes. We are here on their business, as well as some of our own. You know why we're here, I assume?"


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Bécacine notices with some concern Yvon and Arnaud being led into a hallway beyond the bar. Without looking like she knows them, she tries to determine what Gisele and Nicolas will do next... should they follow their companions, or wait and see?


Male Human

Arnaud says nothing, just stands slightly behind Yvon, letting the actual DeSuis speak for the family.

He stares at the hollow-voiced man intently, watching his eyes, ready to draw his weapons if it should come to it; and something about the man makes him truly hope it does not come to it.


The stranger nods in response to Yvon's statement. His penetrating eyes scan the group for a moment and then as if prompted he opens his mouth in reply. Once again the unnatural tones of his voice strike your ears with an unnerving discordance. You doubt that any human could produce such a quality of sound.
"Yes, I had thought we might have ferreted out such a response. I see that Helene has found some resourceful assistance. Very well but it is not permissible for your clan to rejoin the Game. You were removed from the board. You should leave Port-a-Lucine."

DC Perception 22

Spoiler:
It is almost imperceptible but you sense the stranger has taken great care of exactly where he is standing. There is but the smallest trace of a square outline beneath his feet.

DC Knowledge (local) 15

Spoiler:
It is only a vague memory but the features of the Stranger's face are familiar. A memory many years old drifts into your conscience. A street poster showing a man with similar appearance advertising an illusionsist or magician. The name pops out -Verite.


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Fearing what the men might be getting themselves into, Gisele tries to get Becacine's notice. She brushes past her and whspers, "out back, by the stables .. a rear door...I will be there."
With that, she wanders out the front of the building and quickly, by quietly, slips back to the rear of the building to enter the backdoor once again.


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Nicholas finishes his drink and slowly follows after Arnaud and Yvon. On hearing the strange man's statements he says, "we're not here to play any games. I'm here to get on with my life, whether I choose to do so in Port-a-Lucine should be none of your business. Whatever game it is you're playing, you seem to be making a mistake by choosing to make enemies of those that would prefer to remain bystanders."

knowledge local:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Male Human

perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
knowledge: local[/ooc] 1d20 ⇒ 6

"Aye, I don't know a DeSuis likely to respond well to threats, either verbal or carried out by hired thugs. I assure you, this course of action will not end well for you."


As you respond to the Stranger's veiled threats, you notice Rastignac is growing increasingly nervous as his eyes dart back and forth. Through grating teeth and in rasping breath, "I wouldn't talk to him like that if I were you..."

The Stranger calmly nods in reply to Nicholas and Arnaud. "It seems I will not be able to persuade you from your folly. A pity. I had no wish to further harm you but it seems there to be little choice."

The Stranger reaches into his coat hidden beneath his cloak.

From the room beyond the storage area you hear the sound of shuffling feet. Perhaps 4 or more men.

Init

Arnaud 18

Stranger 17

Bordelon 15

Gisele 13

Goons 11

Yvon 10

Nicholas 8

Rastignac 5


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Bécacine meanders through the tavern for a few seconds, feigning that she is looking for someone who is not there.

She then walks out the front door, then nonchalantly walks along the side of the building and then quickens her stride as she tries to catch up with Gisele. As she approaches the back door, she whispers an arcane word, and her crimson gown instantaneously transforms into something that looks like black banded mail.

Round 1: Move action, then cast Mage armour. Perception: 19 + 1 = 20.


Male Human

Arnaud snarls wordlessly as the man reaches beneath his coat, drawing his pistol quickly and firing point blank at the stranger.

Move action: drawing pistol
standard action: attacking
attack roll 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
damage roll, spending 1 grit to add 1d6 damage (a miss deals half the 1d6) 1d8 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + (4) = 5


The silence is broken by Arnaud's gunshot. The echo reverberates in the darkened room. The Stranger grunts in pain as the shot strikes him on the side. With determination the man makes a quick movement and his palm reaches out in a dizzying spray of colour.

Will DC 14 for Arnaud, Nicholas and Yvon or unconcious, blinded and stunned for 3 rounds

As the spell is unleashed with a quick stamp on the ground the Stranger seemingly drops into a darkened pit below.


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Moving in behind the group through the back way, Gisele silently moves up behind the goons, and strikes one from the back.

Attack-Melee: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Damage: 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + (2) = 5


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 1

Sweet, unconscious stunned and blind...


Male Human

will save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Arnaud curses at the burst of magic, and manages to shrug it off.


As four toughs armed with crowbars and short swords come charging from the back rooms Gisele deftly steps from the shadows to strike the last one but he deflects the blow and stands against her. The three other pay no heed and move against the Arnaud, Nicholas and the stricken Yvon. not enough move to close and attack

sorry about the past couple of days, not to get into details but very stressful

Nich up. Rastignac seems to be vibrating with fear but seems to be pulling something from his dirty coat possibly a blade of some kind.


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Nicholas collapses, temporarily stunned.


The wild-eyed Rastignac brandishes a long sharp razor and hesitantly steps forward. He regards the imposing figure of Arnaud and then as if thinking better shouts over to the club wielding toughs, "The glory is all yours!" He turns shrieking to run back towards the tavern.


Arnaud 18

Stranger 17* fleeing

Bordelon 15

Gisele 13

Goons 11

Yvon 10

Nicholas 8

Rastignac 5* fleeing


Male Human

I'm really sorry if i was holding everything up.

Disregarding the approaching toughts, Arnaud will move to the corner, drawing his sword. Looking where the stranger stood, he searches for the means of his escape.

perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

No, you weren't. See the discussion thread -- the game is on hold at least until fall, and will possibly resume then if there is sufficient interest from the players.


The last thug’s crowbar falls from his hand and clatters loudly onto the floor. You recover your breath standing over the subdued mooks. The sound of the tavern-goers is muted but listening intently you do not hear anyone else approaching. Your eyes are drawn to the yawning black hole that your quarry disappeared into. Stepping closer a fetid stench greets your nostrils. You hear the sound of dripping water and faintly splashing echoes reverberating in the cramped sewer tunnels but they are fading away. It would seem the Stranger has a head start…
Assume all party members are in the room. Rastignac is Koed. One of the four thugs is unconscious but stable. The other three seem dead from their injuries.


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

I had a bad feeling about wearing my good suit tonight. Guess we have no choice but to follow, do we?


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Am I conscious, not stunned and un-blind yet?


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

DM, in the initative sequence you have Rastignac as fleeing, but in your most recent post he is KOed... I'm presuming that Verite should be at initative 5 instead of Rastignac?


Yvon, colour spray effects are over, you guys tussled with the goons, one of you Koed Rastignac, I would say that we're out of initiative. So feel free to post as you wish Its been 3 rounds since Verite went down the trapdoor


Male Human

Arnaud curses and sheathes his sword, he moves back to the hole in the floor while reloading his pistol.

"He is wounded, he cannot get far." Arnaud follows his quarry down the hole.


Arnaud clambers down the narrow trap door into the dank darkness of the sewers below. It is a five foot drop as Arnaud finds himself knee deep into the muck below. Arnaud finds himself standing in a four way junction. Beyond the wan light cast from above, the rest of the fetid sewers remain shrouded in inky blackness. Verite's splashing footsteps echo and seem almost to come from every direction.

Perception DC 10

Spoiler:
You are not certain but you sense the sound is strongest from the south

Perception DC 14

Spoiler:
You notice that there are two distinct sources. One from the south, the other from the north. The one from the south seems closer than the north.

Perception DC 16

Spoiler:
You sense the footsteps echoing from the south seem strangely regular and precise. Whereas the north is erratic,syncopated. You sense the footsteps to the south may be an illusion


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Yvon watches Arnaud drop into the hole after Verite. He then looks about for a lantern or torch or something before following the gunslinger. He keeps his sword in hand, sheathing only if he needs to (such as to clamber down a ladder).

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 7


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Bécacine wrinkles her nose in disgust. "That is no place for a lady... Gisele, shall we leave the men to their business? Perhaps we should return to the casino and enjoy a few glasses of wine and have them meet us there when they are done playing in the sewers?"


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Grabs a torch or lantern, then sighs, "my best suit." Then clambers down the ladder.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 11


Male Human

Perception check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

"North." Arnaud states quietly, pointing that way, then louder: "He is running to the south! After him!"

And with that he beckons his companions, and is off to the north, pistol out, moving quickly after the retreating noise.


If you go north

Spoiler:

You follow the echoing sounds searching in the inky darkness. It is almost as if the magician's footsteps come from every which direction. Make a DC 15 Will save. If you succeed consult the spoiler below

Spoiler:

Will DC 15
You locate the source of the noise and discover a disembodied sound that continues to repeat itself. You realize you've been tricked by an illusion and lost precious time in your pursuit.


If you go south

Spoiler:
Rushing at a breakneck speed amidst the muck and darkness you follow your instinct to catch the fleeing magician.

So trying out the chase rules. Roll init. Verite's init is 10. If you have darkvision you have a +2 to all these checks.

Using the base assumption of 30-foot cards, it takes a move action to move through a single card. When a character exits from a card, he must choose one of that card's two obstacles to face as a standard action before moving to the next card. Success means the character moves to the next card, while failure means the character must face the obstacle again on the next round. Instead of exiting a card, a character can choose to take another action not directly related to navigating the chase's course, such as casting a spell or drawing a weapon.

A character who wants to attempt to move three cards during his turn can do so by taking a full-round action. That character must overcome both obstacles on the card he is leaving. In this case, if a character fails either obstacle check by 5 or less, he only moves one card forward and his turn ends. If a character fails either obstacle check by more than 5, he cannot move at all that turn. A character unfortunate enough to fail two obstacle checks in a turn slips and falls taking 1d6 non-lethal damage. A character who falls must spend another full-round action becoming unmired and effectively loses his next turn in the chase.

A character can also choose to make a ranged attack or cast a spell during his turn in a chase. If the action is a full-round action, he can't move at all. Use the number of cards and their established distances to determine ranges as necessary. Verite has 50% concealment unless you are on the same card. A character can only choose to make melee attacks against targets that are on the same card.

If Verite gets to the finish line he's gone.

Start

Card #1

Perception DC 18 Hidden short-cut

Acrobatics DC 10 Crumbled stonemasonry

Card #2

Climb DC 10 Greasy wet Ladder

Acrobatics 15 Skillfull jump to higher platform

Card #3

Escape Artist DC 12 traversable gap in the bars

Swim DC 14 cut across moving water

Card #4

Perception DC 12 Aha I saw you!

Acrobatics DC 16 Charging jump

Card #5

Stealth DC 10 Close in for the kill

Climb 15 Haul up on to the platform cutting him off

Finish Line

The magician is on Card #3


Big woops. The above posts the first one should read if you go south. The second one should read if you north!!!!


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Yvon follows Arnaud's lead, chasing the fleeing villain north.

initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9.

card 1

Acrobatics 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2

The crumbling wall proves to be a major obstacle for the thick-set man, especially encumbered by his armor.


Male Human

initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Full round action, attempting to move three cards. Card 1
Perception check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Acrobatics: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Arnaud spots a side passage and darts down it, determined to catch Verite. He barely gets past the crumbling walls.

Card 2
climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
acrobatics: 1d20 ⇒ 7

A sure grip, helps him with the slick ladder, but the he slips on the jump, and stalls.


It might not have been clear. For the cards, it is your choice of which skill check you wish to use. You need only pass one to exit the card. So Arnaud you have successfully moved to the third card (the same card as Verite)

Breathing hard Arnaud rushes through the tunnels and with determination and a measure of luck closes in on the fugitive. The magician snarls in annoyance throwing a dagger at the gunslinger as he turns heel. He throws himself through a small gap in the bars of a tunnel grate.

Dagger atk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 181d4 ⇒ 1
Escape Artist 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Nicholas follows the lead of the other two, better to be safe than to be caught out alone.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

On seeing the obstacles blocking the way, Nicholas curses and mutters, "hopefully I can at least keep the powder dry."

He attempts to clamber over the fallen masonry:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Managing to get over, but only with much cursing, splashing, and wasted time. Beginning to resemble a soaked, unhappy, growling feline, Nicholas figures his next move will be either a spell or a bullet. Enough of chasing after this ruffian like a common guardsman.


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Do we know if Gisele's player will be rejoining the game? My next action might be influenced by what she does -- see my previous post.


Yes Gisele's player indicated he would be back. I'll check in with him. I imagine she'd politely decline and join in with the 'boys' in the chase.

Gisele curses under her breath as she joins the others in the fetid tunnels. She moves with startling speed in the low-light cast by the others torch.

Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

attempts to move to card #3

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Climb 1d20 ⇒ 18

201 to 250 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gangster & Ghouls - Nights in Port-a-Lucine All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.