Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Gangsters & Ghouls - Nights in Port-a-Lucine

Game Master B_Wiklund

A dispossessed noble family with a shadowy past is back in town looking to even the score.


51 to 100 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

On my turn I will do one of two actions, if the chest is within range (25 ft) I will cast grease on the chest if it is still too large to fit in a bag, if it has been shrunk to much less than a square foot I will cast grease on the area around the chest instead (grease is cast using my bonded object). If the chest is out of range then I will cast sleep focused on the woman in red (though hopefully she won't be 4th level and it may take someone else as well). If possible I will attempt to remain partially behind the door as cover, but if I need to move closer to cast grease and can do this I will leave cover.

Recognizing some of his relatives among those being threatened by the thieves Nicholas quickly assesses the situation. He isn't entirely certain what is happening but it seems certain that it would be best if that chest stays right where it is. He begins to chant swaying slightly as he becomes wrapped up in the rhythm of the words he is speaking.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
knowledge local to recognize the caster


Gisele Boisseviarre wrote:

Watching the woman fire at the man who just attacked Sarivec, Gisele thows her dagger at this new danger.

(Do I get my sneak attack damage as she is unaware of me?)

Attack-Ranged: 1d20+2

She has acted so is not considered flat-footed.

The dagger whips through the air catching the blonde in the side. She lets out a cry and her eyes lock on her new adversary.

1d4 ⇒ 2

Arnaud moves up within twenty feet and levels a shot at the advancing robbers aiming for the one that still holds a loaded pistol.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 161d8 ⇒ 3

The shot catches the man in the shoulder spinning him slightly. Though wounded he still lives.


Yvon DuSuis wrote:

On my turn

Yvon draws his sword, scowling. "Now look here, Sarivec and friends, there's no need for this. You're identities are known and you've bitten off more than you can chew. Now stand down!"

Intimidate: 1d20+8

Gravely wounded with wheezing breath Sarivec's determination is weakened by the stern voice of Yvon.

shaken 1 rnd


Nicholas DeSuis wrote:

On my turn I will do one of two actions, if the chest is within range (25 ft) I will cast grease on the chest if it is still too large to fit in a bag, if it has been shrunk to much less than a square foot I will cast grease on the area around the chest instead (grease is cast using my bonded object). If the chest is out of range then I will cast sleep focused on the woman in red (though hopefully she won't be 4th level and it may take someone else as well). If possible I will attempt to remain partially behind the door as cover, but if I need to move closer to cast grease and can do this I will leave cover.

Recognizing some of his relatives among those being threatened by the thieves Nicholas quickly assesses the situation. He isn't entirely certain what is happening but it seems certain that it would be best if that chest stays right where it is. He begins to chant swaying slightly as he becomes wrapped up in the rhythm of the words he is speaking.

1d20 + 8
knowledge local to recognize the caster

Moving forward you can get in range to cast grease on the chest or the area around the chest. The shrunken chest is now easily transportable but no one has gotten ahold of it. Casting grease on the area around the chest is likely to be an effective obstacle.


Bordelon (who was delaying)

Top of the round

JP


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Grimacing in pain, Jean-Pierre moves forward, drawing his sword cane as he does so.

He then glares at the woman.

"You will pay for that..."

Sword Cane (Archaeologist's Luck): 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 1 = 21, for 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11 Piercing damage.


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Which foes, if any, are within 30' of Bécacine?


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

I'll cast grease on the chest itself since that will inconvenience anyone taking it for a number of rounds rather than just one. That is assuming there is not a rug nearby or any other obvious ways to circumvent the poor grip given by the grease spell.


Male Human

I apologize for not posting, it was a crazy couple of days. Though, Wyk pretty much summed up my turn anyway, thanks.


Bécacine Bordelon wrote:
Which foes, if any, are within 30' of Bécacine?

The blonde and the the three robbers near the bounder table. That leavest the four thugs by the chest and Sarivec (bleeding profusely from JP's switchblade).

For Round 2

JP 16
Grim 11 (blinded 2 more rounds)
Robbers 10
Gisele 9
Arnaud 6
Yvon 6
Bordelon 5


Slashing upwards, the sword cane cuts a deep crimson swath. The blonde woman's eyes glare with pain and anger. She attempts to flip backwards retreating in an acrobatic display evading Jean-Pierre's further cuts and thrusts.
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

She lands next to the chest, thirty feet away.


The four robbers and the chest's guards continue to fight, though the robbers seem to gain the upper hand knocking out or incapicatating the guards.

Wounded Sarivec quickly quaffs a potion down (1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8) and reaches for the chest unaware of the spell.1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 - 2 = 15 Shakened by Yvon and his wound it nearly slips from his grasp he holds it tightly.
Its not entirely clear from the text but if Sarivec is running/double movment or hit I'll have him make the Ref save for that round to see whether he holds onto the chest. Nicholas let me know if I missed anything but the DC should be 15. Spell level 1 int +4


The three robbers by the Bounder table engage the party.

The thug armed with the unfired pistol cracks a shot of at Jean-Pierre's flank.
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 91d8 ⇒ 8 He drops the pistol and draws his sabre.
He is likewise outside the 1st range increment

The other two move to attack Arnaud and Gisele with their blades. You sense the fear and panic in their eyes as they press into pell-mell battle. Around you the crowd charges and flees away from the melee.

Arnaud
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 101d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Gisele
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 131d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Just checking Grim? And Arnaud no worries re the post. Actually everyone should check the discussion thread about how we want to handle stuff like that


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Not sure where I am on the initiative list. Sounds right on the spell save. If the chest appears to be made of actual metal (as opposed to wood painted gold), or if there is sufficient metal on it to let the spell work, Nicholas will cast burning disarm on it (not sure how this will work with the grease but I figure a hot, greased chest is harder to hold than a chest that is just greased and worse case scenario it at least does 1d4 damage; spell stats reflex save to drop object or suffer 1d4 damage, 25 ft. range). Otherwise, he will cast sleep on Sarivec.

Cursing under his breath when he sees that someone grabbed the chest, Nicholas prepares to cast another spell. He isn't entirely sure what is going on here but he plans on making sure nothing leaves this room until things calm down.

If there is cover within a move action that will leave him in spell casting range Nicholas will use the move portion of his action to put himself behind it. He doesn't fancy taking a bullet while casting if he can help it.

Standing orders for this combat:
For standing orders for this combat, Nicholas will seek cover and use his telekinetic fist ability, +3 atk (+4 if point blank shot applies) 1d4, 30ft against whoever has the chest or as a secondary target against anyone firing at him, or as a tertiary target in support of whoever looks most hard pressed in melee combat. If he somehow runs out of his T fist ability he will resort to throwing daggers.

Also, he will try to take a pistol at the end of combat, he'd really, really like one.


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

As I've been delaying I should be able to "drop in" at any time... so now seems to be as good a time as any.

Still 'safe' within the arms of her unwitting protector, Bécacine turns her icy cold gaze on the blonde acrobat and whispers to the spirits that lurk in the nearby shadows.

Casts evil eye hex on the blonde, Will save DC 12. Failed save = -2 penalty to AC for 1 round.


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

@Becacine: The Evil Eye hex is a little bit better than that. If they pass the save, it lasts for one round. If they fail, it lasts for 3+Int modifier rounds...


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

As she is struck, Gisele crys out. Halk kneeling she holds out her hand, begging her attacker not to strike her and that it was all a mistake.
Bluff-Feint: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

As the thug hesitates and glances away, Gisele springs up from her crouch and strikes at him with her sap.

Attack-Melee: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + (6) = 9non-lethal

The extra 1d6 is sneak attack. If the feint worked, then he looses his Dex Mod to AC, and becomes open to my sneak attack....I think, LOL


Male Human

Move ActionArnaud steps under the clumsy swing from the attacker, drawing his scimitar as he does so.

He smiles at his attacker, noting the terror in his eyes.

Standard Action: Intimidate check"Boy, do you really want to die like this? No one weeps for thieves and robbers." 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Brandishing his sword, Yvon moves in to attack one of the thugs who upset his game.

"You scum had your chance to quit, now you pay."

Attack with power attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 71d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


The blonde femme fatale is struck by Bordelon's evil eye. Uncertainty and hesitation fill her with gnawing doubts.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Gisele I looked back just in case it was changed in PF but feinting is a standard action w/o improved feint feat. You get the sneak attack on him on your next attack (you can keep the roll) or just take a normal attack

Arnaud's icy words add doubt to the robber's will but do not shake him.

Sorry Nicholas meant to put you back in the bottom there. Your init is essentially 5.

Sarivec curses a stream of oaths as Nicholas' arcane words trigger the metal of the chest to seethe with heat. The exasperated mage drops the chest.
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 151d4 ⇒ 2


Yvon your in there before the start of round 3. post anytime.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1
Wyrd_Wik wrote:
Yvon your in there before the start of round 3. post anytime.

how about 10 minutes ago? ;)


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Ooops sorry...just looked it up, and you are correct...darn!! I know which feat I will be taking next ;-) She will use her advantage next turn, and hope that the bluff is enough to keep the big bad man from striking a scared, wounded little girl..LOL


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1
Jean-Pierre de Suis wrote:
@Becacine: The Evil Eye hex is a little bit better than that. If they pass the save, it lasts for one round. If they fail, it lasts for 3+Int modifier rounds...

Oops... right you are! Thanks for the correction! There's nothing like handicapping oneself ... ;-)


Top of round 3

JP 16
Grim 11 (non-blinded)
Robbers 10
Gisele 9
Arnaud 6
Yvon 6
Bordelon 5
Nicholas 5

Don't think I missed anyone from round 2?


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Humming to himself, Jean-Pierre charges after the woman who shot him...

Sword Cane (Archaeologist's Luck, Charge, Power Attack): 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 20, for 1d6 + 4 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 3 + 1 = 13 Piercing damage.


Jean-Pierre de Suis wrote:

Humming to himself, Jean-Pierre charges after the woman who shot him...

Sword Cane (Archaeologist's Luck, Charge, Power Attack): 1d20+3+2+1, for 1d6+4+3+1 Piercing damage.

The half-elf bounds across the floor in pursuit of the tumbling blonde. With a powerful thrust, the shining blade of the sword cane dispatches the robber. Sarivec cries out in rage. With the loss of one of their ringleaders the other robbers lose nerve and you see many of them eyeing the exits. Sarivec despite his rage for the door in a full run.

Grim you're go.

The robbers cursing lose their nerve and brandishing their weapons and snarling push their way to the exits in a full flee. Provoking AoOs for those engaged with the robbers


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Is mine without his dex from my last turns bluff?? If he is then I would get an extra 1d6 damage, if I hit

Attack-melee: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6


Male Human

Arnaud laughs as his opponent turns to run, slashing at his retreating back.

"Cowards! Swine! he roars in triumph.

attack1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
damage1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Seeing his opponent running for the door Nicholas runs to block the passage (I assume he is still closest to it).

If I get there first I will attempt to hit him in the face. I want him alive. Yes, this does mean that two wizards just got involved in a fist fight. If I have to chase him I will try to tackle him. Roll for either should be the same.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Bécacine smiles cruelly as the beautiful blonde acrobat succumbs to her hex, and then dies on the tip of a stranger's blade. Good riddance, b!~~@... One less competitor to worry about...

She then turns her cold gaze on Sarivec as he makes his desperate dash for the exit and whispers the same dark words she uttered mere moments ago... willing the Falkovnian to become weak and clumsy...

Casting evil eye hex again. Will save DC 12; fail = -2 penalty to AC for the next 5 rounds.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 211d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Yvon then pursues the thugs.


Gisele seizes the opportunity and with a well-aimed strike on the robber's pate sends him crashing down amidst the fleeing patrons.
yes, as you spent last round bluffing your atk next round, add the extra dice, 1d6 ⇒ 6.

Arnaud's slash is impeded as he is pushed back by the throng of panicked party-goers.

Bordelon's cold gaze locks on the fugitive mage as he rushes through the door but to no avail.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Yvon cuts down one opponent and pushing through the press of the crowd closes in on another fleeing cutthroat who is rushing for a window that is open to the street.

Nicholas by the door moves to tackle the bleeding Falkovnian. Sarivec's fist lashes out wildly but is sidestepped and Nicholas promptly tackles him.
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 91d4 ⇒ 3
Your grapple is successful!


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

On my turn I will attempt to maintain the grapple until the rest of the group finishes off their opponents and someone more dangerous in melee gets here. If he tries to cast a spell I'll head but him or hit him in the face. I'll also try to keep an eye on the chest, I'm not going to let that get stolen because I'm busy with Sarivec when I went through so much effort to prevent him from getting it.


Round 3

JP 16
Grim 11
Robbers 10
Gisele 9
Arnaud 6
Yvon 6
Bordelon 5
Nicholas 5


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Seeing that Sarivec has been tackled by a familiar face, Jean-Pierre grins, and charges after the larcenous rogue!

"You are mine, Sarivec!"

Sword Cane (Archaeologist's Luck, Charge, Power Attack): 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 21, for 1d6 + 4 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 3 + 1 = 14 Piercing damage.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

chop chop chop as they flee!

If he provokes:

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Yvon looks angry, and has no mercy for thugs who have interrupted his important night of meetings and gambling....


Male Human

Arnaud will take his turn to load his pistol and survey the carnage, seeing if any of the thieves have not made good their escape.


As Nicholas grapples with Sarivec, Jean-Pierre's swordblade catches the mage in the back. With an upward thrust the blade pierces through his chest much to Nicholas' surprise.

A few of the robbers hurl themselves out the windows or escape through the back exits. Two are pulled down by Vancaskerkin's guards.

Any actions you wish to declare? Combat is essentially at an end.


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

As he sees Jean-Pierre raise his sword Nicholas shouts "No!"

Afterward, "dammit Jean-Pierre I was trying to take him alive!"

Nicholas well then see if there is any hope of staunching Sarivec's bleeding wounds, if so he will do so.

Otherwise, "Well there's nothing that can be done now. It would have been valuable to interrogate him; I doubt the rest of these goons know much."

He will then walk over to the chest, to make sure it doesn't get lost in the confusion.


Sarivec had 2 hp and with Con of 12, he is completely dead

The pandemonium in the Golden Goblin recedes as customers and others scramble to leave. Vancaskerkin pushes his way towards the centre of the room. The hall is a mess as tables lay overturned, cards, broken glass litter the floor.
"Friends you have my thanks! Words cannot express my gratitude. We are all amazed with your bravery and heroism. Truly, an inspiration in these troubled times." With this he kicks one of the fallen robbers letting forth a stream of curses and oaths.

At the back of the hall a group remains quietly seated at the tables. A short man with dark hair and trimmed beard sips a glass of wine. Three tall men in great coats stand behind him as vigilant bodyguards. "Vancaskerkin", he calls out, "If you could tell one of your staff I would like another wine when they can. Once you are done I feel that we should talk."
"Yes, Minister" replies Saul as he kicks the prone body once more. "This is a catastrophe!"

Knowledge(local) 12

Spoiler:

The man in the back is none other than the Minister of Justice Dominic D'Honaire, a long-standing member of the ruling Council of Brilliance

As Nicholas and Jean-Pierre are gathered around the fallen body (and the shrunken chest) of Sarivec there is the sound of crunching glass underfoot. A tall striking woman with piercing blue eyes and blonde hair dressed in a stunning green gown stands looking over the dead mage and the scene of chaos in the Hall.
"Looks like I missed the party"
Helene deSuis.


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Gisele hears the well dressed fellow talking about taking one of the robbers alive and calls out, "Over here sir. This one still seems to be alive. I think he might have run into something."
She steps aside and checks to make sure her 'costume' is adjusted properly, as well as hiding her sap and dagger once again.


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Mental note to self... If those men are to be my new associates... subtlety does not seem to be their forte... Could the one trying to save Sarivec also have been invited by Helene?

Bécacine gives the man who had 'protected' her a coy smile and a quick peck on the cheek. "Thank you for saving my life, mon cher Philippe. I will never forget... I pray we see each other again sometime..." She pats him gently on the chest with one hand, then turns away and makes her way through the panicked crowd, leaving the man only with the lingering scent of sweet perfume and the disappearing vision of her long raven hair, tight-fitting crimson dress, lush curves and swaying hips. The temptress surveys the scene as she walks closer to the spot where Sarivec fell, keeping an eye out for Helene in particular... but she does not immediately notice her patron in the chaos that ensues following the foiled robbery attempt. She watches Nicolas and Jean-Pierre casually from behind the gathering crowd of onlookers, wondering whether the brazen outlaw might still survive the cane-stab from the strange man with the top hat and shed some light on the plot behind the night's dramatic events...

Perception: 6 + 1 = 7.


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Hearing Gisele's call Nicholas responds, "Excellent, hopefully he'll have at least some knowledge to share with us about this robbery. First, however, I'd like to see if there is anything I can find on this fellow."

Nicholas kneels down to search Sarivec's body and is interrupted by Helene's entrance.

"I'd say your entrance is timely. I see a few guests at least who are regretting their attendance. With the departure of their poor souls, if not their bodies, perhaps the rest of the evening will be more congenial to the remaining guests."


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Jean-Pierre bobs his head in contrition.

"My apologies, Nicholas - I guess that I do not know my own strength; but when I get shot at, I generally respond poorly to those responsible. I concur; perhaps interrogating those that survived, and/or a search of the bodies, might reveal some clues..."

He is on 3hp, after all ;-)

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21.

The Minister for Justice is here too? Is the entire Council visiting? There is quite a collection of luminaries here this evening...


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

I did not notice Wik and Gisele's last posts when I wrote my previous one... we must have been writing at the same time. So please ignore incongruences, especially regarding Bécacine not noticing Helene.

Knowledge (local): 10 + 6 = 16.

Bécacine nods at Helene and smiles when the latter complains of having 'missed the party.' She remains silent, waiting to be addressed and for instructions to be issued before speaking.

And Monsieur d'Honaire is here, as well... Interesting... how did I not notice him before?, thinks Bécacine to herself as she glances over her shoulder and spots the man and his entourage.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Yvon wipes off his blade on the body of the goon he cut dwn, checking to see if a pistol is still nearby. Then he works his way over to Helene, taking the assortment of others that stepped up to stop the heist.

Knowledge local 1d20 ⇒ 1

nice, no idea who those people are...


Male Human

Arnaud holsters his pistol and sheathes his blade as he searches the wreckage and bodies for anything of interest.

perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Knowledge: local 1d20 ⇒ 9

Noting Helene's arrival, he grins and mumbles under his breath:

"Immaculate timing, that one." He moves to introduce himself when he is done with his search.

Not much for formalities, Arnaud simply introduces himself, when he has a chance.

"By your invite, I am here, Lady. Arnaud, at your family's continued service."


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Knowledge-Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Gisele gathers up her drink tray and heads over to hover near Helene. She tries to make herself blend into the general chaos of the scene, but keeping near enoough to listen in on what is being heard.

51 to 100 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gangster & Ghouls - Nights in Port-a-Lucine All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.