Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Gangsters & Ghouls - Nights in Port-a-Lucine

Game Master B_Wiklund

A dispossessed noble family with a shadowy past is back in town looking to even the score.


1 to 50 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Port-a-Lucine. A beacon of culture, sophistication and civility on the coast of the Sea of Sorrows. A gleaming jewel all alone in the night. Sure it looks pretty. The handsome opera stars, the well-heeled merchants, courteous nobles, studious scholars, musicians, painters.
Its all very civil.
From a distance.
It doesn't take long to see the dirt under the nails though. Most have little pleasure from these cultivated pursuits. The longshoreman grunting under his heavy load, the family with little to eat, the desperate gambler, or the feverish anarchist wandering the streets. Surviving each day is enough.
Surviving, well, that might be enough for the sans-culotte. But not for you. Not for a DeSuis.

You remember the strange missive you received. Decorated with hellish symbols and grinning imps was an invitation to the grand re-opening of the old gambling house, the Golden Goblin, only a stone's throw from the old territory by the docks. The invitation declared the event to be called Cheat the Devil and proclaims, "win not only soul back but also take the devil's treasure! But beware, only the strong of heart need venture forth!" Below it in a cramped but legible handwriting is another message;

"Come to the opening. I would like to discuss an important business opportunity."

-Kind Regards,

Helene duSuis

Helene duSuis. Recently nominated to the Council of Brilliance, the ruling body of advisors under the Governor General Marcel Guignol. Even in the salad days, the DuSuis weren't on the Council. She's now heading up public works. You're not sure what the story was how she survived the Night of the Knives. You recall something. Caught in a fire but escaped. There were many lives lost that night, hard to keep track of them all.

Impelled you have arrived for the gala evening.

Just inside the main doors, two sultry beauties scantily clad and wearing faux bat wings, devil horns, and tails play the part of alluring succubi. Both are employees of the Gold Goblin, and they cheerfully register contestants for the tournament and process entry fees. Armed guards stand nearby to either side of an immense treasure chest into which each patron’s entry fee is added. The guards are on hand to not only protect the money, but to prevent any overzealous admirers from trying to dare the infamous touch of a succubus.
Beyond the registration table is the hall’s game floor. Dozens of gamblers, waitresses dressed as succubi, and bouncers mill about the room, wandering amid tables offering various games while dealers shuffle cards, roll dice, and spin wheels. Moving through this throng are a dozen more of the barely clad, bat- winged vixens serving drinks and batting coal-black eyelashes flirtatiously for tips. In the center of the chamber is a short podium atop which sits a massive gold chest affixed to the floor by similarly gaudy chains. On either side of it stands a bare- chested bouncer in the exotic garb of some foreign sultan’s court. Each stands with muscled arms crossed over his chest and with a naked scimitar of prodigious size tucked through his waistband. High above them, from the hall’s cloth-draped ceiling, hangs a brass birdcage within which crouches a small, bat-winged, pointy-tailed devilish creature that sulks as it gazes over the room and occasionally rattles the bars threateningly.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

A tall, thick-set man enters, quickly taking in the crowd. His eyes linger on the scantily-clad succubi before he works his way to a table. If it seems necessary, he will check his weapon belt, but if custom is to wear it, he will do that.

Waving a serving girl over, he orders a tall rum, neat, and tips well, dropping a gold piece on the tray- "Helene DeSuis is expecting me- be a dear and let her know I'm here."


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Great intro, Wyrd. Bécacine will be fashionably late, and hence I'll post after all or most of the other PCs have.


Male Human

Arnaud enters the Golden Goblin, and it quickly becomes apparent that he is ill-at-ease.

The gamblers he regards with open disdain, the guards he eyes carefully, taking measure of each man, and the women... his eyes dash from one to the next, and he smiles just a little and raises an eyebrow.

When he spots Yvon, he works his way toward him.

"Yvon? The name is Arnaud. It has been some years... figured you were among the victims. Good to see you still draw breath." Arnaud sits across from him, and produces his invitation, dropping it on the table. "Dunno how you're related to Helene, but I'm here on her summons. Seen her?"



Feel free to poke around. Partake in the gaming. Snoop. Schmooze. Oh, and Knowledge (local) is untrained skill so everyone can roll for it as an Int check.

Milling through the concourse and bustle of hustlers, serving girls, boozers and gamblers it becomes apparent that this opening is promising to be quite the fete champetre. A casual glance around the room reveals a plethora of city officials, merchants and assorted characters. Alas, you do not espy Helene amongst this august company as of yet.

Knowledge (local)

DC 5

Spoiler:

Some interesting characters you notice amongst the crowd.

2. Far back on the casino floor at the Golem tables surrounded by a bevy of beauts and some simpering courtiers stands the figure of Dominic d'Honaire. Dominic is the head of the d'Honaire, one of Dementlieu's oldest and most prestigious noble houses. He is a shorter man impeccably dressed with black hair in a widow's peak and goatee. HIs piercing eyes shoot across the gambling table and his expression is a ghoulish grin. There are cheers and groans at the table as he reveals yet another winning hand. D'Honaire is a long serving member of the Council of Brilliance as Minister of Justice and one of Guignol's most respected advisers. He is in all but name the Prime Minister. Standing behind the crowd of sycophants stands three tall and obviously muscular men in black heavy coats and brimmed hats. Scabbards hang from all three.

DC 10

Spoiler:

1. Over the hubbub you distinctly hear the uproarious and raucous laughter of Saul Vancaskerkin, the new proprieter of the Golden Goblin, as he schmoozes with a gaggle of city officials. Vancaskerkin cuts a memorable figure. He is a corpulent man with a great voluminous gut. Dark haired with a bulbuos nose and a toothy grin. His left hand is a hooked clasp where he holds a cigar puffing on it between his baritone guffaws. Vancaskerkin has been a long-time operative in the underworld of Port-a-Lucine. Vancaskerkin hails from Luddendorf in Lamordia though he has lived the last twenty years or so in Port-a-Lucine. He is generally disliked as a loud boor but he has had many lucrative successes in his career.

DC 15

Spoiler:

3. At the far end of the floor from the Golem Tables at the roulette wheels is Maurice Sarti and his brothers. The Sarti brothers once worked for the DeSuis down in the docks as toughs and racketeers. Since the fall of the DuSuis the Sarti despite their reputation for thick-headedness have survived even prospered.

4. Playing against Maurice Sarti is the Maria Diosa, the much admired opera singer and impresario of the Grand National Opera, in the Quartier Publique.


As you survey the gaming tables you see many old time favourites. For card players, Golem is a staple. Bounders for those that favour dice or rounds of skiff. Lastly, in a macabre touch the roulette tables have been renamed Ghoulette as the main table sports in its spinning centres, a cackling, talking decapitated head. Various tittering coquettes have screamed in feigned fear at the sight swooning into the arms of their dates.

At the rear of the casino floor stands the bar proper announced by a overhanging sign, the Goblin's Tankard.


Male Human Magus 1; AC 11 T 10 F-f 11; HP 9/9; F +3 R +1 W +3; Init +1; Perception +0

A man of just below average height, dressed in tailcoat and cravate at least a decade out of date wanders past the guards, his gait that of a man in no particular hurry.

'What do I spy with my little eye? With my little eye I spy one of our old bossy-os. Oh ho yes, good days those were weren't they? Quite right you are, my eloquent friend, quite right. The best of days, as you say.'

Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Yvon is likely situated at a Bounders table, dice being his particular poison. At the sight of Arnaud, he nods- "Aye boy, I know you. What brings you round here? Must be digging deep if we're bringing in workmen like you." DuSuis hangs on the word workmen, as if referring to a past job. He then slugs down his rum and waves over another, eyeing the serving girl expectantly-"Well? Anything for me?"

Knowledge local: 1d20 ⇒ 4


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Gisele adjusts her cloths before she heads into the gambling hall. She was able to 'talk' one of the girls into giving her the costume and is now dresses like the rest of the barmaids. She adjusts her horns, settles the wings onto her shoulders and swinging her hips, enters the main hall.
Disguise: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
She quickly looks over all the clientele and notices where the bouncers are located. With her tray of drinks, she mingles with the people, keeping her eyes open for anything out of the ordinary.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Why after all this time would the family contact me? They cut me adrift, and while things might not have been great, I was slowly making a comeback. So why now??, she thinks as she smiles and flirts with the gamblers.
She continues to circulate throughout the room, watching her time to make sure she is not late for the meeting.


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Jean-Pierre takes care to make sure that he is immaculately dressed, and al of his concealed weapons are hidden away carefully, before he attends.

After all these years, it would not do to be caught off guard. I dare say there are still those around who would like to see me dead in a gutter somewhere...

He doffs his hat, and nods to the bouncers as he passes into the Gold Goblin, leaning theatrically on his dress cane.

My, my, we have some lovelies here today...

Jean-Pierre then spots Yvon over at the Bounders table, and when a suitable opportunity presents itself, moves over and greets him.

"Yvon. It has been a while. I take it you are here on business, too?"

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14.


Male Human

Knowledge local:1d20 ⇒ 5

Arnaud shakes his head at Yvon and forces a smile.

"Aye, a workman. A bent back and bloodied hands have earned me enough respect it would seem. Imagine if I had the right surname." With that he stands.

"I'll find the lady, and send word when I do. Stay comfortable."

Arnaud approaches the first waitress he comes across.

"Helene DeSuis. Where can I find her?"


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Knowledge-Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Sometime later, when the event is already well under way, a slender yet curvy dark-haired woman clad in a low-cut, crimson satin gown with gold trim enters the hall. She wears a simple golden tiara on her head. Her face is half-concealed by a matching mask that covers her eyes, which she holds up with a thin black stick. Her eyes need not be visible for men to turn their heads; a locket nestles in her ample cleavage and within seconds has drawn the indiscrete gaze of more than one weak man.

The woman leans in towards one of the guards.

DM:

Spoiler:

She leans in towards the guard and whispers, and shows him the note she received: "I am here by invitation from Helene DuSuis... I assume that gives me free admission? And would you be so kind, my dear, as to tell me whether any others have arrived at her behest, and and to point out any others that might show up after me?"

The hand she slipped the coin with discretely and briefly brushes against the guard's crotch. Her breath is sweet, intoxicating, her full red lips tantalizing. Her mysterious smile and the deep green eyes that shine behind their slits go straight to the heart.

Diplomacy: 18 + 12 = 30; Knowledge (local): 19 + 6 = 25.

For a visual on the outfit and general look sans mask, click here.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1
'Merciful' Arnaud wrote:


"Aye, a workman. A bent back and bloodied hands have earned me enough respect it would seem. Imagine if I had the right surname." With that he stands.

"I'll find the lady, and send word when I do. Stay comfortable."

"Man, I was tactfully referring to your reputation and occupation, not your class. I'd have thought someone in your line would have thicker skin. Let me know if you find the lady before I do." With that, Yvon returns to his game.

Jean-Pierre De Suis wrote:
"Yvon. It has been a while. I take it you are here on business, too?"

Yvon returns the man's greeting: "Aye, it has been. And yes, messy business I imagine."


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

DM:

Do I recognize any of the other players?? If I do I will try to get close to them and over hear what they are saying.


'Merciful' Arnaud wrote:

Knowledge local:1d20

Arnaud approaches the first waitress he comes across.

"Helene DeSuis. Where can I find her?"

The sultry waitress bats her eyebrows and looks over you. She grins a coquettish smile, "DeSuis? Oh, yes her. She's been around here a lot talking to the boss." She gestures towards a heavy set man with a hook hand who is surrounded by a bevy of laughing city officials. "Big Saul over there. Perhaps you should speak with him as I haven't seen the lady this evening."


Bécacine Bordelon wrote:


The woman leans in towards one of the guards.

You sense immediately the choice of dress and the mystery of the mask has exactly the intended effect. The guard stammers with a heavy breath. "Best ask Saul younder. He deals with the DuSuis woman errr.. lady. I think your associates are on by the b-b-bounder table..." He leans in his eyes locked in a lascivious gaze. "Welcome to the Golden Goblin, let me know if you need any assistance."


As the windows begin darkening with twilight, several gamehall employees enter, carrying torches shaped like pitchforks skewering burning heads made of straw and cloth to light several large braziers,giving the hall a more infernal hue. A hush falls over the gathered crowd as a short man climbs to the central podium, accompanied by two gorgeous “succubi,” and stands before the gold, chain-shrouded chest there with a demoness on either side.
He wears a formal suit, and his thinning black hair is slicked back. His left arm ends in a stump just above the wrist, and affixed to it is a bronze cap from which protrudes an oddly shaped key. This is Saul Vancaskerkin, the owner of the Gold Goblin and host of the tournament. He bows before the crowd and clears his throat before beginning speaking.

“Welcome, one and all, to the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall and your chance to cheat the Devil and win back not only your soul but all of his gold as well.” He says this last as he pats the large chest before which he stands. “I hope you found your reception by the Devil’s lovely temptresses suitably entertaining.” This is met by a general murmur of laughter and a few catcalls.

“Let’s take this moment to thank Old Scratch himself for attending this event. Not only did he loan us these lovely, dark angels, but he also emptied the deepest vaults of Hell itself to provide the gold for this tournament.”

With this, Saul directs the crowd’s attention up to the imp in the birdcage. At the sudden attention, Old Scratch flies into a flurry of rage, banging the cage bars, spitting, howling, and screaming vile epithets in Infernal at all assembled. His theatrics are received with guffaws and even a smattering of applause. As the crowd dies down, Vancaskerkin continues.

“Of course, he plans on replacing what he loses in gold with the souls of those of you who don’t win. The tournament rules are quite simple—as you play, you’ll earn more chips. And with those chips, you’ll be able to bribe your way out of the current Hell you’re trapped in, working your way down deeper until you get to Old Scratch’s treasury. Currently, all of you are Old Scratch’s prisoners in the first of the Hells, Avernus. If you want to work your way down to the ninth circle, you need to win games. Each time you win, you’ll be awarded a golden eye. If you come in second,you’ll get a silvertooth. And third place wins a copper heart. These bits of flesh and bone are what the devils use in Hell as currency, and they’re what you’ll need to pay in order to bribe your way into the next layer of hell. The first player to win a game after reaching Nessus not only keeps his winnings for that game, but also earns back his soul and the ten thousand silver coins that the Devil put up for this tournament. You can, of course, decide to cash out your winnings at any time you want, but if you do, or if you run out of money entirely... well, that means Old Scratch gets you!”

Vancaskerkin grins evilly and the caged imp cuts loose with another profane tirade.“And that earns you the Devil’s Mark and an escort out of the game hall until the tournament is over. What, you ask, exactly is this Devil’s Mark? Well, it’s something too utterly horrible to even contemplate. The forfeiture of your very soul, it is. But I suppose I can show you what it is— gods know I more than deserve the Devil’s Mark. In fact, better make it two, girls!”

With that, the two accompanying succubi with him lean over and plant firmly a kiss on Saul’s cheek with her ruby-red lips. When they pull away, their lip rouge has left clearly visible prints in the same shocking red on his cheeks. Saul beams as he cries out, “The Devil’s Mark, everyone!” which is greeted by a flurry of shouts, catcalls, and hoots. “Now, let’s cheat the Devil and take his gold!” which prompts one more rabid flurry from the imprisoned fiend above, and with that, the tournament begins.


If you haven't already looked around for Helene feel free to make the following rolls to look and or ask around for her

Nicholas duSuis? Ben?

Perception DC 10

Spoiler:
The floor is busy tonight but a reasonably thorough survey reveals that Helene is nowhere to be found

Diplomacy DC 12 +

Spoiler:
Asking around you are directed to speak with Saul as his staff recongize the name and indicate she's been talking to him a lot these past few days leading up to the opening. The staff invite you with a grin to partake in the tournament and enjoy yourself. It might be a little while before you get to speak with Saul. He's a busy man.

Diplomacy DC 15 +

Spoiler:
The staff add that others with your invitation seem to be gathered over by the Bounder table. Maybe they can help you. Now I gotta get going.


Male Human

Arnaud will muscle his way toward Saul.

"You're quite the showman. I won't waste your time... but I need to find Helene DeSuis, and I was told by one of your devils that you knew where i could do that."

Diplomacy, untrained1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Yvon looks for the heavily tipped waitress briefly before grumbling about taking matters into his own hands. He pokes slowly around the crowd, looking for Helene, or at least a good game of dice.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 20
Diplomacy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1
Wyrd_Wik wrote:

You sense immediately the choice of dress and the mystery of the mask has exactly the intended effect. The guard stammers with a heavy breath. "Best ask Saul younder. He deals with the DuSuis woman errr.. lady. I think your associates are on by the b-b-bounder table..." He leans in his eyes locked in a lascivious gaze. "Welcome to the Golden Goblin, let me know if you need any assistance."

"I will," purrs the woman as she momentarily lowers her mask and gazes at the guard intently with her deep green eyes. She smiles a wicked smile, then raises her devil mask again and strides confidently into the hall.

While the she-devil is curious about the so-called associates that await her at the Bounder table, she first heads in the direction of Saul's table. She accepts a glass of red wine from a passing waiter and stops a few paces short of the table, wanting to observe and listen for a while before taking action. It does not take long before a growing circle of apparently unaccompanied men engages her in conversation. She avoids looking directly at Saul, preferring instead to watch him and his associates out of the corner of her eye while smiling politely and conversing with her growing entourage. She also keeps an eye out for Helene, and occasionally glances at those gathered around the bounder table.

I don't recognize any of them, she thinks to herself. And where is Helene? Could this be some sort of ruse?

Perception check to listen in/observe what is going on at Saul's table: 13 + 1 = 14; Bluff check to avoid being noticed by Saul and company: 18 + 7 = 25; Perception check to spot Helene: 17 + 1 = 18; Diplomacy to find out if the members of her new entourage let slip anything of interest as she engages them in small talk: nat. 20 + 12 = 32; the Knowledge (local) roll in my previous post was 19 + 6 = 25... man, the dice are hot tonight! Probably burned all the luck I might need if I participated in the tournament! Does she recognize anyone in the crowd aside from Saul, or does she know anything in particular about Saul?


'Merciful' Arnaud wrote:

Arnaud will muscle his way toward Saul.

"You're quite the showman. I won't waste your time... but I need to find Helene DeSuis, and I was told by one of your devils that you knew where i could do that."

Diplomacy, untrained1d20+1

As you muscle your way through the circle of fawning well-heeled bureaucrats gathered by Vancaskerkin you notice a few of the armed guards take note. Vancaskerkin's laugh stops abrubtly. HIs eyes regard you with clear disdain,"Ah, one of Helene's 'help'. She'll be here soon enough. She obviously didn't hire you for your manners or your looks."

Prompted some of the doddering officials start to laugh at Vancaskerkin's cutting wit.


[ooc]
Bordelon:

Spoiler:

You wind your way close to Vancaskerkin's entourage. Listening closely amongst the racket of the gamblers and party-goers. YOu manage to deduce that Saul is speaking mostly with some officials in public works ministry. He speaks of our close mutual friend who has helped him put this evening together. He adds some vague promises of good things to come. You sense he is likely referring to Helene duSuis, as she is now the Minister of Pubic Works. However, you surveillance is cut short as a grim looking man muscles his way to Saul demanding to speak with Helene.
Your knowledge of Vancaskerkin is as indicated above. For a 25 I'll add a few things:

Saul has had a reputation as a survivor. Rumours allege that he has sold out past partners. He is also notorious for collecting debts. It is nothing short of a miracle the man has not lost his head over some amount owing over these years. Though he has certainly come close (as his lost hand attests).


For everyone:

Perception DC 20

Spoiler:

As you impatiently scan the busy floor searching for your contact you notice a woman in red with striking blonde hair walking along the concourse a platter of wooden chips in hand. She suddenly stops midstride and closes her eyes. You see her lips move as if in a whisper. Without warning she makes a spectacular fall the platter of betting chips scatter across the floor causing a small scramble amongst the patrons. You sense something is amiss. If you made this Perception check you get a +2 to your upcoming save!


As the tournanment continues after Saul's speech, the mood is jubilant and not a little wild. Dice roll, cards are played and the wheel spins amongst whoops and hollers.
But then those whoops and hollers turn to screams.
A burning brazier near the Bounder table suddenly flashes its fire lifting up. An ear-popping detonation sounds. A flashing, fiery but momentary burst of lights fills the room with a burning and blinding light.

Will Save DC 14 or be blinded for 3 rounds.

Amongst the chaos with a loud cutting and distinct voice.

"Any of you pricks move and I'll execute every last one of you! Drop to the ground and we might let you live!

Time for initiative!


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Oops forgot the will save..sorry
Will Save: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 2 = 25

Gisele quickly flips her tray up to cover her head as the light flares from the brazier. As she hears the voices, she quickly fades into the shifting shadows, drawing her sap and waiting for one of the thugs to pass close enough for her to strike from hiding.
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Do we roll for initiative or do you?


Male Human

"Aye. She hired me because I know when to use... " The threat remains unfinished, interrupted by the sudden explosion.

Perception1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Will Save1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Bécacine eavesdrops on the conversation between Arnaud and Saul when the explosions occur. Fortunately, her head is turned the other way when the detonations occurr, and her mask shields her eyes from the worst of the flashes. Her heart racing, she feigns a swoon and puts her arms around the neck of one of the men in her entourage...

"I'm so scared," she whispers in his ear. "Please don't let them hurt me."

Will: Nat 20 + 5 = 25; Initiative: 9 + 1 = 10. Diplomacy, to encourage the guy she is hanging on to to protect her: 17 + 12 = 29.

Perception: 7 + 1 = 8; didn't notice what was under that last spoiler.


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22.

Leisurely moving through the crowd, Jean-Pierre's eye is caught by the woman in red with the striking blonde hair.

I wonder what she is up to?

Will: 1d20 + 0 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 0 + 2 = 18.

He manages to shield his eyes just in time, avoiding the flash.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16.


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Ok...looks like we roll for initiative..lol

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Well, at least I'm not blinded...


Male Human

initiative roll 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Yeah, I suppose should roll init for folks. Probably easier that way all in one place. Been a couple of years since I've done the pbp thing.

Initiative

JP 16
Bordelon 14
Grim 11
Robbers 10
Gisele 9
Arnaud 6
Yvon 6


Looks like everyone passed the will save

Amidst the screams and smoke you can see a gang of robbers moving in obviously coordinated and rehearsed effort. Half the crowd has dropped to the ground but many others flail about panicked in their blindness.
The slim tall blonde that cried out for the patrons to hit the ground stands atop a card table a pair of pistols at the ready. One of the Goblin's guards is moving to threaten her but you can read a smug smile on the blonde's lips as her quarry approaches. Four other muscular men brandishing saps have already moved in striking position to the guards standing at the great chest holding the tournament pot. Another three menace over the crowd near the Bounder table, sabres and pistols brandished. A tall, lanky man with black greying hair, his eyes, deep hollows that glare with intensity strides in a direct line to the chest. He appears to be holding a scroll of some kind.

Knowledge (local) 20

Spoiler:
You recognize the green-robed man as Sarivec, a nasty piece of work originally from Falkovnia. A magic-user of some talent who freelances for gangs of usually dubious reputation. He was known to work with the Renier frequently.


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

knowledge: local 1d20 ⇒ 20.


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Knowledge-Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

DM:

Squinting in the dim light, Gisele recognizes the tall lanky man moving towards the chest. She replaces her sap with a dagger and waits for him to start his incantation before she throws, hoping to disrupt whatever magic he is attempting to do.


Female Human Aristocrat 1 / Witch 1

Knowledge (local): 17 + 6 = 23.

Bécacine, still clinging to "her man," looks over her shoulder at the unfolding events. She is curious, but makes no move to interfere. After all, it isn't her gold they're stealing, and it isn't her fight... why risk her life? Interesting... Did Sarivec really come all the way from Falkovnia just to steal gold from a gambling hall? she wonders.

"Please don't let them hurt me," she whispers again in the ear of her human shield.

Delaying.


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22.

Jean-Pierre narrows his eyes as he takes in the situation.

Now, where do I know that 'gentleman' from...? Ah! Of course!

"Son, I appreciate the effort you have obviously gone to, but trying to steal in so public a fashion shows a terminal lack of sense..."

He then moves deliberately towards him (30' closer), drawing a switchblade as he does so, which he then throws at the interloper...

Switchblade (Archaeologist's Luck): 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 2 + 1 = 22... threat.
Crit Confirmation: 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 2 + 1 = 20, for 2d4 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 4) + 6 + 2 = 16 P damage.


Not to get all rules-lawyerly but I believe a thrown weapon only scores a threat on a nat 20. So 8 damage by my reckoning.

Spoiler:
Thrown Weapons: The wielder applies his Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn't designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn't have a numeric entry in the Range column on Table: Weapons), and a character who does so takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

The blade whisks through the air catching the robed man in the shoulder. The blade bites deep and he lets out a pained gasp. You sense quickly that you've got the bands attention.

Grim you're up.


Male Tiefling (Oni Spawn) Cleric 1 (HP 10/10) (AC 19/11/18) (CMD 15) (Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +7) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

@Wyrd_Wik: That text specifically applies to thrown weapons that do not already have a range increment, and are being used as an improvised thrown weapon. Switchblades are designed to be thrown (i.e. are not improvised throwing weapons)...

If that text was designed to be listed for all thrown weapons, them presumably starknives and light hammers, which have 20' range increments, would actually have 10' range increments...


Male Human Warrior 1/ Wizard 1

Nicholas walks in wearing a hastily put on suit. His tie is askew and covered with machine grease. You can still see quite a bit of grease on his hands, and on his suit coat.

He is rather shocked to see the robbery in progress and tries to duck back behind the door to get a better sense of the situation before acting.

(I'll assume I go last sense I'm such a late arrival, I wasn't on the computer much this week and this is the first chance I've had to check in.)


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1
Jean-Pierre de Suis wrote:

@Wyrd_Wik: That text specifically applies to thrown weapons that do not already have a range increment, and are being used as an improvised thrown weapon. Switchblades are designed to be thrown (i.e. are not improvised throwing weapons)...

If that text was designed to be listed for all thrown weapons, them presumably starknives and light hammers, which have 20' range increments, would actually have 10' range increments...

I agree, your emphasis is in the wrong place:

Spoiler:
:
Thrown Weapons: The wielder applies his Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn't designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn't have a numeric entry in the Range column on Table: Weapons), and a character who does so takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

Also @Wik

Spoiler:
Were weapons expected to be checked at the door? Or is having a sword belted at my waist reasonable?


JP: Yep some egg on my face. You're right. The mage is gravely injured.
Yvon: No assume you have weapons on your person. It is a place of low character and for the upper class its fairly common to sport a handsome looking blade.
Nicholas: Yep put you in the bottom of the init


Grim will save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Grim crouches behind the bounder table blinded.


The three robbers near the Bounder table turn to face the half-elf. Standing their ground two of them open fire at the man who attacked the wizard. The third holds his pistol menacingly at the onlookers snarling viciously.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 111d8 ⇒ 7

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 201d8 ⇒ 8

As the shots are fired screams fill the smoky air.

The woman in red cries out upon seeing Sarivec so gravely wounded. Blood pours down the Falkovnian's neck profusely. She leaps down covering the man shouting at him in Falkovnian.

Spoiler:
Use the blasted spell and lets begone.
She fires a shot at Jean-Pierre.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 141d8 ⇒ 5

JP all your attackers are 30 feet away so just outside the 20' increment. Attacks are resolved normally

The four robbers wielding saps attack the guards by the chest. The guards fight back but it is clear they will soon be overcome.

The wizard holding the scroll croaks his spell. In a glowing flash the immense chest begins to shrink.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Gisele
Arnaud
Yvon
Nicholas

remaining in that order


female 1/2 Elven Expert/Rogue 1/1

Watching the woman fire at the man who just attacked Sarivec, Gisele thows her dagger at this new danger.
(Do I get my sneak attack damage as she is unaware of me?)

Attack-Ranged: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Human Fighter 1/Warrior 1

On my turn

Yvon draws his sword, scowling. "Now look here, Sarivec and friends, there's no need for this. You're identities are known and you've bitten off more than you can chew. Now stand down!"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

1 to 50 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gangster & Ghouls - Nights in Port-a-Lucine All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.