Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

GM Xzaral's PFS Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment - Blue Team (Inactive)

Game Master Xzaral

The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment


101 to 150 of 542 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

"It is not that we sacrifice our fingers, but rather that is the cost for impure thoughts. We must strive to purify body and mind."

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar looks disgusted "That is short-minded, progress is made by those with controversial thoughts. And it is barbaric to cut off appendiges for it" this outta go well


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

The man called Zhuang speaks at this, "What is truly short lived are these mortal shells you treasure. Does a few decades on this plane truly matter in the long term? It is merely a test of faith, like any other. Yes, many do not have courage to attempt the Kiss, but are there not tests of your own faith that others may deem unwise? I invite you to attend to another test after our meal, one less 'barbaric' as you would call it. Would you care to meditate with me?"

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar smirks "I do not plan to live out my life only on this plane, and I do not need the false hope that praying encourages to achieve my goals." Tiasar realizes how blatantly rude he is being and pulls it back a little "I only meditate for the focus and will of my arcane power so I will have to decline, however meditation is always a good practice"

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Mythic Summoner 3 (HP34/34; AC 22 / T 14 / FF 18; F +3, R +5, W +3; Init +7, Perception +0, Diplomacy +11, Darkvision 60')

"I would be happy to meditate with you," says Marek.

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar frowns, then his raven flies over to Mareck and perches on his shoulder, whispering "There is more here than we see, do not trust them"

Silver Crusade

Male Dwarf Cleric 1 (HP11/11; AC 16/ T 11 / FF 15; F +2, R +2, W +5; perception +4)

Attempting to remember anything about the religious practices of Korada
Knowledge: Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Attempting to compare this "Kiss of Korada" against any known religious practice of any god.
Knowledge: Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
"A test of faith, yae claim, but I find it hard to believe a god who promotes balance such as Korada would inflict such misery upon his followers. I, too will meditate with yae, if yae don't mind. I would like to discuss another matter with yae later as well, I may have a way for yae to use yer faith for the greater good." Glenn has been watching Zhuang intently since he entered the room, forgetting about the plate in front of him. The talk of mutilation in the name of faith has obviously spoiled his appetite, and his food sits in front of him ignored as he turns to Gastidem. "If you don't mind my asking, yae wear a green, while everyone else wears white. What is the significance of that?


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

"To each their own choice, Tiasar. And it will be good to have you Mareck. You have made me curious, Glenn. I look forward to it."

"It's not as though wearing white is a dress code. I simply fancy the green abit more." The gnome gives a small chuckle.

Glenn:
You don't recall any information that may be useful in this situation.

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar looks more frusterated as yet another one of his party members agrees to meditate. He shakes his head, then stands up "We do appreciate the meal, however we did come here with a mission and it would serve our purpose ill were we to get sidetracked. I must insist that we finish our research and get moving" Tiasar collects his things, then looks expectantly around at the party


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Zhuang stands at this as well. "Well then, can't allow our guests to go around without a guide, wouldn't be polite. I'd be happy to show you around the temple, give you a tour."

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar softens a little "That would be most appreciated"

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19(23MA); ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 8/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 4/6

{b]"A guide would be nice. Yes, business first."[/b]

Jory gets up and trying to hide his disappointment.

"Lead on."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

If anyone wants to stay at dinner, let me know. Just to confirm, no one has ate, please correct me if wrong. I did move Tiasar, Jory and Merck there as they said they were going.

Zhuang leads you to the meditation room. The meditation room is a lofty, open space. The stone walls are carved with several figures in various meditative poses. A few large mats cover the stone floor. The only other furnishing is a rack containing a few wooden staves and several stacked glass spheres, each no bigger than a plum.

"If you look, the walls show the specifics of the meditation techniques. I'll guide you in performing the tasks. There's two parts to it, the other a mantra to Korada. We'll start with a few warm-ups, then move on to the actual technique, which involves spinning three spheres in one hand like so." As you watch, Zhuang takes up six of the spheres and spins three in each hand flawlessly. "It's harder than it looks, but when you succeed, you will receive Korada's blessing."

Anyone who wishes to attempt the meditation technique will need to roll a Sleight of Hand or Dexterity check (same DC for both). The mantra is below.

Mantra to Korada wrote:


Light combined,
My peace find;
Calm my soul,
To control;
Woes I sift,
Catching gifts

If anyone attempts it, let me know.

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar starts to write some detailed notes down, then remembering that was actually one of the primary goals he sighs and steps forward. "Very well, I shall try my hand at this"dex1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Will anyone else be attempting it? Also let me know if you recite the mantra as well, please

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Mythic Summoner 3 (HP34/34; AC 22 / T 14 / FF 18; F +3, R +5, W +3; Init +7, Perception +0, Diplomacy +11, Darkvision 60')

Mareck picks up the spheres, and begins,

"Light combined,
My peace find;
Calm my soul,
To control;
Woes I sift,
Catching gifts"

Dex check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

Alan steps forward and begins with the mantra as well.

Dex check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

After Tiasar badly fails the hand technique, he decides to simply observe and write down what the others do

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Rogue(Trapsmith) 1 (HP8/9 AC 16/ T 14/ FF 12, F +1 R +5 W 0, Perception +6, Init +5

Rowan had been quietly following the happenings, and joined the others in the meditation room. He attempts the meditation technique and recites the mantra.

Sleight of Hand 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Tiasar attempts to spin the orbs, but failing that gives up and observes.

Rowan, Alan and Mareck each give their own attempt, but after 15 minutes find's the task very difficult to perform, even reciting the mantra.

You may continue trying if you so choose, as many times as you like. Each attempt takes 15 minutes.

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

Alan attempts it again reciting the mantra

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
I will take 20 if I can for a total of 23. If not here's a bunch.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Taking 20 is allowed, but will take 300 minutes or 5 hours. If you choose to do so, that's fine with me. You're not on a timed mission and you have plenty of supplies to last several days if you so choose.

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

Nevermind got a nat 20 within an hour of meditating

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Rogue(Trapsmith) 1 (HP8/9 AC 16/ T 14/ FF 12, F +1 R +5 W 0, Perception +6, Init +5

Rowan attempts the meditation again.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Mythic Summoner 3 (HP34/34; AC 22 / T 14 / FF 18; F +3, R +5, W +3; Init +7, Perception +0, Diplomacy +11, Darkvision 60')

Mareck concentrates and attempts the meditation one more time.

Dex Check:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

just fyi, i moved, as im getting out of the way for people trying to do it. also, writing down the techniques and studying them, do i need to make any sort of check to identify what they're doing? if i do, i have a suspicious it's religion so I won't bother lol

Silver Crusade

Male Dwarf Cleric 1 (HP11/11; AC 16/ T 11 / FF 15; F +2, R +2, W +5; perception +4)

Glenn watches the meditation with interest, but does not participate as he feels it would be inappropriate for a cleric of Sarenrae to perform a ritual of Korada. As he watches he turns to Zhuang, "Yae were born here, in this plane within the tapestry, weren't yae? Do yae know much about the ancestor who originally got trapped here?"


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Rowan manages to spin the orbs properly during his second attempt, though it takes Alan abit longer to manage the task. Mareck fails on his second attempt to complete it. Though you complete the task, you feel no great effect from the meditiaton.

"That's correct, though the only thing I can recall is that it was over 300 years ago. There are many areas of evil within this expansive land. I don't recommend wandering far from the temple, it's thanks to Dakang's protection and his bodyguards we are as safe as we are."

Tiasar, there's no check required for completion of the mission, that you have now accomplished. You may try any checks you feel may be appropriate, though Knowledge (Religion) would be the most so.

Tasks Update:

  • Complete Report on Temple
  • Locate the temple’s meditation room, find evidence of any meditative techniques described there, and record any effects of performing those techniques (COMPLETED)
  • Prepare a comprehensive catalog of all works in the temple library
  • Find the temple gardens and draft a detailed plan of the garden’s layout
  • Enter the temple’s crypt and take rubbings of the carvings on each sarcophagus

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19(23MA); ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 8/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 4/6

Jory joins in meditation and recites the words.
+1 to these rolls for Dex check 10d20 ⇒ (12, 4, 1, 7, 4, 8, 6, 19, 1, 12) = 74

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar, looking much happier after not only being able to record the meditative techniques but also seeing them, marks his page and looks around "Pardon my ignorance, but I do not study much on the divine or its' practices. How long does this usually take, and what are the supposed benefits you gain from it?"


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

After two hours, Jory is able to manage to spin the spheres as well.

"It takes about 15 minutes to complete the meditation exercise. The benefits are a clear mind gained from faith in Korada, though that takes much longer to achieve."

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

Ma'am, could you perhaps show us the library next, our employers tasked us in catalogging it.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Rogue(Trapsmith) 1 (HP8/9 AC 16/ T 14/ FF 12, F +1 R +5 W 0, Perception +6, Init +5

Rowan is delighted that he was able to finish the meditation technique, but a little disappointed that he felt nothing from its completion.

Yes, the library will be most interesting, and I would like to get a look at the statuary of this place. I take great interest in the art of other cultures.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Zhuang is a sir.

"I would be more than happy to show you to the library. Meal should be just about finished, so I expect Miriya to be inside." You are all lead to the library. This spacious room is crammed with narrow bookshelves and large tables. Many shelves are empty and the remaining scrolls and tomes seem tattered and sagging. A small open door looks into a tidy office. The room is clean and bright despite a general atmosphere of abandonment. Several windows look into a garden to the west.

Through the side doorway, you see a young woman who must be Miriya, currently reading through a tome. She looks up as you all enter. "Welcome to the library. A pleasure. How may I assist you?"

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

I am looking for a book called Eldest Malignance. If you could point me in that direction it would be most appreciated.

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

Tiasar looks like a kid in a candy store "Ah yes, we wish to catalogue what is left of your library. I would like to seperate the scrolls and tomes into subject, era, and alphabetical order to have a cleaner presentation to the guilds. I would love your assistance in getting these in order." How long does it look like this will take?

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Mythic Summoner 3 (HP34/34; AC 22 / T 14 / FF 18; F +3, R +5, W +3; Init +7, Perception +0, Diplomacy +11, Darkvision 60')

"Who is this 'Dakang' that you mention, Zhuang? He provides you with protection? Bodyguards?"

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

Mareck or Perception 15:
Dakang is the leader here. Di Duang mentioned it earlier, brother.

Silver Crusade

Male Dwarf Cleric 1 (HP11/11; AC 16/ T 11 / FF 15; F +2, R +2, W +5; perception +4)

Quite a library. This being a temple library, I am sure there is, or was, a catalog kept. We could be here for weeks without it. Miriya was it? I get the impression yae spend much time in here, perhaps yae may know of one? As Glenn speaks, he watches Tiasar in amusement. Then, turning to Zhuang, " I ask about your ancestor Zhuang, as I was told to search for a man, or woman, with brilliant hazel eyes and a streak of white in the hair. I was told that should I find such a person, they would be a descendant of the paladin Bewei. The leader of my order would very much like to meet yae. He feels that your presence would help bolster the morale of those who fight in the name of all that is good, and has given me the means for you to leave this place.
I'm assuming this will be asked for:Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1
Alan Baird a'Lorien wrote:
I am looking for a book called Eldest Malignance. If you could point me in that direction it would be most appreciated.

Miriya lets out a sigh as she looks over the mess of books. "If the book is located here, I am not sure where it would be found at this point. You are welcome to review it, though it may take some time."

Tiasar wrote:
Tiasar looks like a kid in a candy store "Ah yes, we wish to catalogue what is left of your library. I would like to seperate the scrolls and tomes into subject, era, and alphabetical order to have a cleaner presentation to the guilds. I would love your assistance in getting these in order." How long does it look like this will take?

"I would love your assistance!" Miriya seems ecstatic at the offer. "Yes, orgainzing them will take quite some time."

At present it looks like it would take 40 man hours to organize all the books. The existence of a catalog would reduce this time significantly.

Glenn Diarmuid wrote:

Quite a library. This being a temple library, I am sure there is, or was, a catalog kept. We could be here for weeks without it. Miriya was it? I get the impression yae spend much time in here, perhaps yae may know of one? As Glenn speaks, he watches Tiasar in amusement. Then, turning to Zhuang, " I ask about your ancestor Zhuang, as I was told to search for a man, or woman, with brilliant hazel eyes and a streak of white in the hair. I was told that should I find such a person, they would be a descendant of the paladin Bewei. The leader of my order would very much like to meet yae. He feels that your presence would help bolster the morale of those who fight in the name of all that is good, and has given me the means for you to leave this place.

I'm assuming this will be asked for:[dice=Diplomacy]1d20+1

"A catalog? I'm sure there is one somewhere. Though where it went to, I'm not certain. Perhaps we could look for it first? It would be greatly appreciated."

At this point, you can choose to spend the 40 hours (dividing by those working) to organize the mess. Searching for the catalog will take a couple minutes, and may reduce this time. Anyone spent cataloging will not be on guard or watching at that time, so be aware.

Perception DC 22 if searching for the catalog:
You manage to locate the catalog. This reduces the total required manhours from 40 to 6 to organize the collection.

Zhuang to Glenn
"Yes, Bewei was indeed an ancestor of mine. I do appreciate your offer, but I'm afraid I must stay with Master Dakang at this time. My meditations take a great priority here." Zhuang does seem to consider for a moment. "Though I would enjoy hearing more about your side of things. If you feel up to such a task."

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19(23MA); ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 8/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 4/6

Jory removes parchment and quills and begins documenting the collected works in the library in a small precise script. His elegant fingers seem well suited to scribing duty.

Of course, looking for the catalogue was quite helpful, he ends up mostly copying it.

PER 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

"Ah you have a catalogue excellent"perception2d20 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4 for extended searching, if that's ok. adding 9 to each one
Tiasar looks at the progressing copying, then turns Zhuang "While this work is getting done, would you care to tell me where you keep your statues in this temple?"

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

Looking for the book and taking meticulous notes on the key passages.

Perception to looks for book 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11. Taking 20 to make a copy of the notes for my action mission.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

"I'm afraid the Statuary is currently off limits by order of Dakang. But it's the boarded up hallway just around the corner."

At the completion of the required time to catalog the books, it's noticed that about half the holy texts to Korada are missing. Additional information can be gleaned reading through the remaining texts with a Knowledge (Planes and/or Religion) roll.

You also find amongst the belongings a scroll of lesser restoration and a manual of calm reflection (Pathfinder Player Companion: Faiths of Balance).

Alan:
The book will be found at the completion of the cataloging process. Taking the notes will require a trained only linguistics check, or an untrained (and much easier) check for someone who speaks Celestial (remember spells can help with that).

Scarab Sages

Male Tien-Min/Varisian Human (HP 84/84; AC 33/T 31/FF 24, CMD 43, v Grapple 50, Trip 49: F +14, R +14, W +14; perception +10, init +4)

is anybody able to read this? Or cast a spell so that I might?

need someone who can read celestial and trained in linguistics

After that I wll take the time to read the manual of calm reflection.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Reading celestial the check can be done untrained. Though trained helps.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Rogue(Trapsmith) 1 (HP8/9 AC 16/ T 14/ FF 12, F +1 R +5 W 0, Perception +6, Init +5

Rowan has been keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Upon hearing Tiasar's question regarding statues and the response, he approaches him and whispers, "We may have to sneak in there to get the information we need."

The Exchange

Male Elf Wizard 3

"Hmm, well I suppose I'll have to see them another time" Tiasar doesn't respond to Rowan, but his raven flutters his wings and looks at him. Then Tiasar looks over at Alan, then smiles as he sees the language "Ah yes the language of the holy outsiders. I have learned the language, what is it you wish to know?" Tiasar starts leafing through the book.knowledge(planar)1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25haha planar problems are my specialty

do i still need to make a linguistics check even though I know celestial? if so 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

edit: well if it helps my crappy linguistics check, i also know quite a few extraplanar languages. Infernal, Celestial, Draconic, Abyssal, Terran

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Mythic Summoner 3 (HP34/34; AC 22 / T 14 / FF 18; F +3, R +5, W +3; Init +7, Perception +0, Diplomacy +11, Darkvision 60')

"Uhhhh," says Mareck, clearly befuddled by all this talk of Celestial, calm reflection, and books.

***Ask about where meditations are done.***

"So, was that the only meditation that you do here? I mean, this is a temple of enlightenment, right. I bet this place is littered with prayer rugs for everybody's meditation."

Mareck thinks for a moment. His face lights with a curiosity.

"What's are the different meditations you do here, other than the one I tried? And do you do anything besides meditate? Anything more... active. You know, outwardly focused, feed the poor, fight evil..."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1
Tiasar wrote:
do i still need to make a linguistics check even though I know celestial? if so 1d20+5

You still need the linguistics check to translate portions of the tome, though you could choose to Take 10 if you like.

101 to 150 of 542 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Xzaral's PFS Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment - Blue Team Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.