Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

GM Weynolt's Serpent's Skull - Part 1

Game Master Weynolt

Serpent's Skull AP


351 to 400 of 542 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

You aren't sure, but you think that Aerys may have blushed slightly at your words, though it could just be the heat. "It sounds of a plan, then. I look forward to a continued partnership."

After your next bit the others nod in somewhat agreement. "Now that we have taken care of the cannibals," Sasha pipes up, "it's just the wild beasts now, right? There can't be much more than that here... Right?"

Jask shakes his head a bit before saying, "I'm not sure. Between the ghost of Kinkarian and some of the other oddities about this place, there may be something else. It was always rumored in Eleder that unnatural tides drew ships to this foul island."

When you finish your later note about Kovack, the others agree silently. "But why did we find no sign of him at the lighthouse?" Aerys asks. "Or Iaena? We followed their trail there, no? And then... nothing. No trace."

The others are quiet for a moment. "I saw no trace of them before we headed this way," Sasha notes. "Perhaps when we have the others back there, we can take another look?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

After Aerys blush and then statement I nod. "Yes, a partnership. I would like that very much. I do look forward to spending more time with you too." I give her a charming smile.

After mentioning that we didn't find any trace of Kovack at the lighthouse.
I stare off out towards the the structure. "I wonder what I will do when I find him. Part of me wants to know why, the other part just wants the man dead. The longer it takes to find him, the more I fear that encounter."


The remainder of your rest is uneventfully, and soon the afternoon rains appear to cool off the day somewhat. You begin your march south, and after three hours of wading a shallow but swift river and trudging through the jungle...

Checks:
Unknown: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
Aaron: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Aerys: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Jask: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Sasha: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

...when you spy a large shape out of the corner of your eye: a huge lizard, much like the one tied up outside the cannibal's camp! It prepares to charge your party!

Initiative: Aaron, Sasha, Jask, Aerys, Lizard.
Lizard: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Aaron: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Aerys: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Jask: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
Sasha: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Surprise round: you and the lizard go first. Lizard is 20' away through difficult terrain. I probably won't make a map, just theater of the mind it.


Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

I ready an action to attack if it comes within reach.


Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

Okay let me roll for it just in case.
I stand ready to face the beast allowing it to make the first move.
If it comes within reach, I attack, readied action:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 For:1d8 ⇒ 1

And on my turn I will either five foot around it into a flanking position, or if had avoided me in the surprise round, I will then move into flanking position. Make sure my allies are in place for this, I will delay for them to do so if need be.
Attack of Round 1:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 For:1d8 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + (3) = 5


The lizard does run up towards you and your allies, but though you step around and strike, your companions are not quite ready, and your swing goes wide. The lizard turns and bites at you...
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19, 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
...latching firmly onto your leg, and you feel poison coursing through you. Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Though you are wounded, you fight off the effects of the poison.

Sasha steps up to flank with you and lets fly with her rapier...
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
...but her stab is not enough to pierce the thick hide of the beast.

Your second delayed strike, now that Sasha is in position...
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 1d8 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + (3) = 9
...slashes true.

Aerys pops up and lays a solid punch at the lizard...
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
...and you see it shudder under her blow.

Jask has delayed to appraoch, but now comes up behind you, and you feel his hand on your shoulder, healing. 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

The lizard, now bleeding and bludgeoned, attempts to bite you again...
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15, 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Does that hit with your current AC? Your character sheet says AC 15, and if that's the case, then you are now down another 10 HP.

Ally Status:
[list]
  • Aaron: -11 hp.
  • Aerys - Unhurt.
  • Jask - Unhurt. Spells Cast: 0. Channel Energy Used: 1/8.
  • Sasha - Unhurt.

  • Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    Actually, looking back, Aaron took the first mate's quality studded leather armor. I guess I forgot to record it. My AC is 16. I'll update it tonight.

    I seeing that my friends armor did save my life, I give thanks to his soul as I strike again.
    Attack:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 For:1d8 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + (2) = 3


    Got it. Then you are only at -1HP, to my reckoning.

    Your slash lands solid.

    Sasha stabs out again...
    1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 | 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
    ...but just misses.

    Aerys lines up a heavy  punch...
    1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 | 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
    ...and the large lizard goes limp from the blow.

    Sasha take a moment to stab it through, making sure that it is dead, before cleaning off her rapier.

    "Everyone all right?" Aerys asks.


    Gah, sorry. Wrong GM alias again. Apologies.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I pant laying a hand on my armor as it has proven very useful. "Thank you my friend." I look to the others. "Yes I am alright. If no one else is her we should keep moving." I continue.

    Um...why are we heading south? We visited the ship. So is that neat site Jask mentioned this way?


    Sorry for the delay, what with 4th of July holiday. Yes, the tree Jask was keen on is to the south just a bit more.

    Checking to make sure that all of you are now all right, Jask nods in approval. "Alton would be pleased to know. It is good that it serves you well."

    The four of you continue on, and after but another hour of hiking, Jask calls out, "Ah, I can see the top of it now!" and presses forward more quickly to lead the way up the current incline.

    A single, immense banyan tree grows atop this hill, surrounded by a smaller grove of trees that seem almost like supplicants gathered around a revered elder to bask in the wisdom of the ages.

    As you approach, a most curious sight appears: seemingly from nowhere, or perhaps out of the tree itself, a beautiful humanoid woman with deep green hair and gold-brown eyes steps forward, and calls out, "Greetings, travelers, and well met! Be at peace in this place, for if you mean no ill will, you are safe here in my home. I am Aycenia; be you friends or foes?"

    Ally Status:
    [list]
  • Aaron - -1 HP.
  • Aerys - Unhurt.
  • Jask - Unhurt. Spells Cast: 1. Channel Energy Used: 1/8.
  • Sasha - Unhurt.

  • Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I take my hand off the hilt of my sword as I try and make sense of the strange female now speaking to us. "Friendly as long as you do not wish to harm us. We are castaways exploring this island for resources we can use to either aid in our escape or to make our lives better should we get back home. I am Aaron and traveling with me are Jask, Sasha, and Aeyrs. It is a pleasure to meet a friendly face on this relatively inhospitable island. Tell me, are you also a castaway or do you actually inhabit this island?" I await her response.


    She raises her hands. "I wish you no harm, only peace. It has been many cycles since I last spoke with a hospitable soul." She motions for you to sit in the shade of the great tree, which towers over your surroundings.

    "A castaway? I know not. There are no others like me here to care for this place. It has been many ages since I first knew consciousness. In that time, it was only recently that others of your kind have come here. First those on ships attempting to build a settlement here, but their attempt came to naught. The later ship arrived, and its occupants went mad. You have met them perhaps?" She shakes her head. "They are no conversation. The worst of my fears are to the north. You have seen the darkened island, shrouded in shadow?"

    Sasha nods. "Looks damn unnatural," she offers.

    Aycenia inclines her head to agree. "Something there is destroying the island. It is indeed unnatural, and I have no power there, for fear that I might catch whatever blight is on that land."


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I look to the north and ponder for a moment. "Do you have any inkling as to what it might be? Is it contained or could it soon become a threat to anyone on this island?" I pace a moment and look at the others with a grim expression. "For the present this island is our home weather we want it too be or not. Even if I gof the lighthouse working it could still take weeks before we are rescued. Do we want to neutralize threats before they've had a chance to scout us and attack or before they are ever a problem. After the cannibals, I am almost ready to march up to this blight and see if it is something we can deal with now rather than wait for it to stalk and attack us later. If you guys want to leave it alone and hope it doesn't bother us then I will concede. However, I will enjoy my stay here much better knowing all I have to worry about is the local wildlife and nothing unusual. What do you say? Want to go up and check out this threat?" I wait for a response from either the lady or my party.


    Aycenia shakes her head. "Sadly, I know not, nor dare I go closer. It is some blight upon the plants"

    The others look at Aycenia, and after your speech, they nod in agreement. "Something damned odd about it, for sure, but I'm happy to take a look. Sooner the better, I assume." Aerys offers.

    Jask nods to Aycenia, "If it will free you to move more freely about the island, then I am only too happy to help."

    Aycenia nearly beams with pride. "You are friends most well found. Please, stay here near my tree this night. You will be safe near my branches."


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I nod. "Okay, then let's go check it out. We'll head out in the morning." We rest at the tree for the rest of the day. I speak with Aycenia for a bit. "So, you've been on this island since your worn....born? I hope I am not being rude but what are you? You are unlike any human woman I have ever seen."


    Aycenia

    Aycenia nods. "I am a dryad, bound here to this tree. How I came to be, I am... unsure? I do not know not being as I am, and have been so long in this island bereft of competent company with whom I may converse. Many years ago those who live at the stone tower came, and there was one among them who found my presence and spoke kindly to me. But he drew the others from his soil here and they we're vile, so I made them leave. A sad day," she says this last with a wistful frown on her face. "The kind one went to the top of another hill. I spied upon him for some time, but then the others cut out his heart and burned his home. I wept, but could do nothing to stop so many.

    "There have been many such stories on this island. You humanoids seem to fare poorly here, as though some corrupting presence was set against your very presence here." She shrugs. "it is difficult to say, perhaps something deeper than the roots of my tree tells a different story."


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I ponder what she has told me. "Interesting. We seem to be fairing nicely all things considering. I am sorry you have been so lonely for so long. And you say you are bound to this tree? So you couldn't leave even if the opportunity came. Well, the least I can do for you is to make things safer here for you by dealing with that island up north. As to what you said about corrupting presence, do you have any idea as to what that might be? What would draw so many ships here and destroy them and all on board I wonder. This island has a nasty reputation surrounding it. There has to be more than mere coincidence I am sure. Yeah. I grow more and more curious about this island with each passing day. However, I may have time on my hands to investigate it but the others in my company I am sure would rather reach their intended destinations as soon as possible."

    I spend some time engaging in some more of my usual idle chat, maybe mention my dreams and ask her some occasional questions about herself, we need not elaborate too much. When I am satisfied I retire for the night.

    ----Next Day----

    I get up and get ready to head out. "Okay, we head north and deal with the problem. From there I would like to collect the rest of our party before we return. So we will be taking the route back to the Jenivere castaways after we deal with the north island. We will return here to inform you of our success on our way back to the lighthouse." I look to the others in the group. "Sound like a plan?"

    If they have no game changing input, I point north. "Onward then!" I march north.


    She shakes her head. "sadly, no, I know not what it is." As she listens to you, she nods, then chimes in. "it would make sense for there to be something more at work here. Perhaps you will get a chance to delve deeper and discover if something lies further down?"

    When you mention the snake dreams, she shakes her head. "Their import is lost to me, for there are many snakes here on this island, more than I care to number."

    When you do turn in for the night, Aycenia offers to watch over you all. "I do not require the same sleep as you, and so invite you to peaceful rest."

    When the four of you do turn in, she shows you to soft pallets of reeds and leaves, and you fall asleep quickly. During the night, however, you cannot shake the feeling, even when dreaming, that you are being watched. At one point, you wake, as do the others, and when you look around and up to the sky, you see against the moon a winged form flapping in a lazy circle around the large tree, before flying off. Aycenia approaches you, keeping her eye on it as it heads east. "That devilish thing lives by the red mountain to the east. A bloodsucking thing with no natural place, so it thrives here quite naturally. Fah!" she curses it as it disappears. "It harms no plant or tree, but I still like it not." She motions for each of you to lie down again. "He shall not harm you, I swear it. Rest well, dawn is not far."

    When morning dawns, the four of you rise and find at your sides a small pile of island fruits and nuts for your breakfast. The others listen to your plan, and nod in agreement after looking over the map. "We'll probably run across that giant crab again," Sasha notes, tracing a finger along the bay, "But it looked pretty slow. Let's do it!"

    Aycenia bows as you leave, and invites you to return as you may. "I will follow your progress through the trees as I am able. Peace upon you!"

    After four hours of hiking back through the trees, you have passed the small cove with the discarded oyster shells, the shipwreck you have explored, and the one you have not on the small island further out. As you continue along the beach to the north, another two hours pass, bringing you to the warmest part of the day, when you reach the small point leading out to the grey-shrouded island further north - the one inbetween being a less vibrant green than the rest of the island. To the west, on a small island perhaps a hundred feet off shore, there is a shipwreck.

    The causeway between the main island and the first island to the north is currently open, though a minefield of urchins that should be easily avoidable. "Looks like this is impassable at high tide," Aerys notes. "We came at just the right time - in six hours, this'll be completely submerged. We should cross now, though it will be quite warm soon."

    Ally Status:
    [list]
  • Aaron - Unhurt.
  • Aerys - Unhurt.
  • Jask - Unhurt. Spells Cast: 0. Channel Energy Used: 0/8.
  • Sasha - Unhurt.

  • Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I nod to Aeyrs. "Well let's get to it then." I begin to head across to the island. Once I am there I begin my search for this disturbance.
    Perception:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


    The first island you encounter has less vegetation than the rest of the shiv, but doesn't show the same greyness as the island further north. After a couple hours of walking and exploring, you reach the causeway between the two islands, and as it is still relatively low tide, you should be able to cross without difficulty.

    On the other side, you see almost a wholly different environment. Where the rest of the island is covered in all manner of wild jungle vegetation and drenched in sunlight, this patch of land appears to be shrouded in grey. Your keen eyes peer across the causeway and see that, what appeared at first to be trees, are in fact tall stalks of fungus, with fibrous vines reaching down from them to the ground, also appearing fungal in nature. As you strain your ears towards it, though there are waves about you and the light jungle behind you, you can tell that no sound is coming from that foul-looking island.

    Sasha gives a low whistle. "Now that's a new thing under the sun! If I didn't know better, I'd say those are Darklands fungi, but how in Asmodeus' codpiece are they growing above ground?"

    It is now past noon, the hottest part of the day. Aery's fans herself with her hat. "We should wait out the heat," she offers, "but tarry too long and this causeway will be awash in heavy surf until midnight. Do we cross now or brave it in the dark?"


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I consider for a good while. "I think we should push on. Dark has more potential threats than trudging on now. All we have to worry about now is a bit of sun damage and fatigue. If this stuff is from the darklands, it will be more at home in the night and will have the advantage. So I vote we push on and deal with it now." I push on.


    The four of you wade through the rising tide, and it as though you are walking onto another planet. The undergrowth, once you step off the sand, is composed of thick wiry tangles of lichens and grey fungus, growing on a foul muddy surface. Each step brings a small puff of spores, and Jask wastes no time in cutting up strips of cloth for each to fit over their mouths.

    Which way do you go: North, East, West, North-West, or North-East?


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I take the cloth and tie it over my mouth and then proceed to lead the group North east looking for the source of this nonsense.


    You walk Northeast for an hour, following the coast, and as you round the shoreline to head NE instead of due North...

    Perception Checks:
    Aaron: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
    Aerys: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
    Jask: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
    Sasha: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

    In a feat of uncommon awareness, Sasha halts all, and quickly draws her sword and kukri as two shapes hurtle out of the twisted landscape towards your party! Their skin is the same hue as the disgusting mushrooms, and their hair as though tendrils of a sickly moss draping down over their skulls.

    Though the other three of you are surprised, Sasha is not, and lunges out with slender rapier at the small forms. The rapier pierces through the thing's chest, and when it comes out again is streaked with black ichor, however it seems to notice the wound only a little.

    The creatures respond by stabbing forward with crude spears, apparently made from driftwood and bone, but each goes wide of its mark.

    Initiative Checks:
    Aaron: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
    Aerys: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
    Jask: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
    Sasha: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
    Enemy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

    Order: Sasha, Enemy, Aaron, Aerys, Jask

    Sasha stabs again with the rapier, also following up with her kukri. Her rapier again appears to pierce with no effect, but her kukri succeeds in making a deep gouge in its arm.

    They respond by taking up flanking positions on either side of her and stabbing with spears. Though the wounded one misses, the other strikes a hard blow on Sasha's shoulder, drawing blood and causing a deep wound.

    Your Action.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    As we move on I am startled by the presence of the grotesque monsters. Watching closely as Sasha attacks them I look to the others. "Piecing seems to have no effect. Slash or bash them if you can." I then draw my sword and move to Sasha's aid, flanking if possible. "Hang in there Sasha!"

    I Slash with my sword:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 +2 If I can flank For:1d8 ⇒ 2 Add:1d6 ⇒ 2 If precision damage is applicable.

    Glad to have you back man!


    Your slash cuts deep into the fugal walker, and it collapses to the ground in a mushy heap.

    Aerys steps forward and punches hard into the small creature, and her fist plunges into - and through - the creature's face, the back of its head bulging and exploding in a wet "splort". It also falls to the ground, and Jask rushes forward to heal Sasha's wound. She curses at it for a bit, but then only bemoans the hole in her shirt. "What were those damn things?" she asks, voice deadened in the gloom. While none of you have sufficient knowledge of nature to determine what exactly they are, you now know to keep your eyes peeled for more.

    You continue northeast, and after another hour before coming to a remarkable sight. A fifty-foot-high pillar of fungus-covered rock thrusts up from the surf here, angling away from the main body of the larger island to the west. The rock is connected to the main island by thick tangles of fibrous fungus, perhaps providing a way to cross the churning surf below. It is perhaps 90 feet across the tangle of vines.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    After the things are "dead" I look at Sasha. "I don't know what these are but I bet the state of this land has something to do with it. If we can, we should keep moving. The sooner we deal with this the sooner we can get out of here." I trudge on.

    Upon reaching the vines I point at the spire. "Maybe there. Let's check it out. I'll lead." I begin to move across the vines carfully. Keeping an eye on my footing and the target. I push on until I reach the other side or something goes wrong.


    The four of you put away weapons and begin clambering up the "walkway" between the island and the spire...

    Climb Checks:
    Aaron: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
    Aerys: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
    Jask: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8
    Sasha: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

    The vine ropes make for an easy crossing (DC 5) and even the older Jask is able to make it without much trouble.

    Near the top of the rocky spire on the northern face, obscured from the sun and 40 feet above the sea below, is a cave mouth. Numerous strange offerings lie around the cave mouth— brightly colored seashells, bits of polished stone, and many bones and skulls.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    Drawing my sword I silently lead the party into the cave. I lead a bit and motion for the others to follow. I light a torch and lead the team on keeping my eyes peeled for danger.


    Your torch illuminates several curtains of dark fungus, as you traverse the short passageway into the heart of the spire. It opens to a cavern, 30 feet in diameter, where a strange, low moan emanates from the far corner. Sensing the light of your torch, a shadowy figure lurches forward from the wall, it's moan increasing to a high-pitched wail as you approach.

    Initiative Checks:
    Aaron: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
    Aerys: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
    Jask: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
    Sasha: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
    Enemy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

    No Surprise round, your move, enemy is 30' away.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    If there is no difficult terrain I will move righf up to it and attack.
    Attack:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 For:1d8 ⇒ 4

    If there is difficult terrain I move up as far as I can and ready an action to attack, just use the above results it the thing comes in reach.


    You easily cross the floor, as nothing impedes your movement, and you slash into the creature's side.

    Aerys, sounding somewhat incredulous, yells, "What are you doing!?" She readies her light shield on her arm and charges forward to join you in attacking the vile mass of purplish fungus by throwing a heavy punch at it, but her fist only just impacts the rubbery flesh of the creature, sliding off to the side.

    Sasha cheers as she runs forward, drawing rapier and kukri along the way, and darts between the two of you to stab forward with her rapier. It sinks in on a portion of the creature, and does minor damage (-2 HP).

    Jask remains near the tunnel, and casts a spell. You see blue-white flash of light, and a glowing quarter staff appears above the enemy to strike downwards with a wet slapping sound. (-2 HP)

    The creature appears to take little notice of these minor wounds, and responds in kind, its four tentacles flashing out to attack you, Aerys, and Sasha, with two of the four coming at you. Though the first misses you, and the last misses Sasha, both you and Aerys are hit by slimy fungal vine-tentacles. Aaron -5 HP, Aerys -2 HP Aerys cries out in pain as the vile stuff coating the tentacle makes contact with her arm, and then in horror as it begins to rot away her flesh! -4 STR, -1 CON

    Make a fortitude save vs. a poison effect., then take your next round of action. You are currently flanking with Sasha.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    Sorry, I missed the post.

    1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 I hope that's enough, this foe seems a bit too tough.

    I call out to Aerys. "Your punches seem to have little effect, draw a weapon or pull back! If you can't hurt it, you'll only be putting yourself in danger!" I then focus the attack with Sasha

    Attack:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23 For:1d8 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + (6) = 8


    It is a CR 3 opponent. Very tough!

    Your save is unfortunately insufficient, and you will take:
    1d4 ⇒ 4 STR damage
    1d4 ⇒ 2 CON damage
    [/ooc]

    You easily cut into the creature's flesh, but you feel the flesh on your arm burning where the tentacle made contact.

    Aerys does her best to withdraw from the fight, dodging out of the way of the things' tentacles by withdrawing, then drawing a javelin to throw the next chance she gets.

    Sasha stabs with rapier and slashes with kukri, poking another hole in it's side and cutting a gouge in its lower portions. -6 HP

    Jask steps towards Aerys and casts a curative spell to restore her strength: + 1d4 ⇒ 3 STR. His spiritual weapon attacks the enemy and again hits hard. -3 HP

    Gobbets of flesh are falling off of this creature, yet its unthinking mass continues to press an attack against you and Sasha. Only one tentacle hits her (-5 HP), and leaves a long line of corrosive slime against her torso. She screams out in pain (-3 STR, -4 CON)

    Your move. The thing has taken 23 points of damage, since your last attack would be reduced by 2. You think you can take it in one more round.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I slash at it again. "We've almost got it! Give it just a little."
    1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 - 2 = 24 For:1d8 + 1d6 - 2 ⇒ (4) + (2) - 2 = 4


    A solid hit, scoring another slash.

    Aerys launches a javelin, but her fear at hitting you or Sasha keeps her from connecting.

    Sasha launches another double strike, and after your slash, her stab and slash, the creature begins to unravel, falling to the floor in a disgusting heap that writhes for a moment in your torchlight before settling into a still pile.

    The others look at you, pain and concern mixed on their faces. Jask brings you all closer together, and channels healing energy to soothe the burns of your wounds. This does nothing at the moment for the poisonous effect that has sapped your strength, but your wounds are restored to health.

    Aerys looks at you with gritted teeth, and spits out, "A bit more tactical approach would be appreciated, Aaron. That damn thing near burned my arm off. We'd best rest here for a bit, maybe even figure if we can stay overnight to get better healed in the morning."

    Sasha shrugs, obviously in pain, but still manages a slightly manic grin. "Thos're my preferred tactics, so feel free t' charge in anytime, far as I'm concerned."

    Behind you, Jask's spiritual weapon winks out, and your torch sheds meager light in the dank cavern.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I sigh, both women had a difference of opinion on the matter but I had to agree with Aerys. "I'm sorry Aerys. You are right. I got spooked and let fear and a bit of arrogance cloud my decision. I could have got one of you killed if not myself. Yes let's rest here for the moment and continue our search for the source of this plague once we've rested." I begin to set about making camp.


    Sasha scoffs, but moves to help you make camp. Aerys appears somewhat mollified, but still appears grumpy. Jask simply shakes his head, and also helps to set camp at the mouth of the musty cave, offering to take first watch while the rest of you sleep.

    Another post tomorrow with what the dawn brings...


    When you wake the next morning, after an uneventfully evening, you feel slightly better than you did after the encounter with the fungal creature. Jask spends an hour in prayer at dawn, then approaches each you and Sasha in turn to restore part of your strength:
    1d4 ⇒ 4 Aaron's STR
    1d4 ⇒ 2 Sasha's CON
    The island is still eerily silent, and a still flustered looking Aerys says, "well, where to now?"


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I look around. "I really don't know? I thought for sure this is where the problem would be but it seems I was wrong. I don't even know what we are looking for." I look at the others. "I'm open to ideas, does anyone have any knowledge as to what may have caused this? What we are looking for and are suppose to do about it? This has gone further out of my element than anticipated."

    I take a moment to collect my thoughts and see if I can recall anything useful I may have learned in my studies.
    Knowledge History:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 [coo]I'm good and stumped.[/ooc]


    As you ponder, the others shake their heads. "Perhaps if we continue to explore this smaller island, the answer will out," Jask offers.

    "Good enough for me!" Sasha calls, feeling more her normal self after Jask's healing, and heads out the cave. She leads the party back across the vine bridge. Though she has trouble at first, no one falls. She continues around the shore of the island by heading north, and while you aren't sure, you do think that the air doesn't seem quite as dead as yesterday, as though a bit more wind were coming through.

    You walk until noon, and over the course of your hike the beach forces you west, then south, and come upon an interesting sight. An ancient wreck lies wedged between a pair of rocks here, yet despite its age, the ruined sailing ship at first seems in relatively good condition. The ship has no color to its lines, and is completely covered in a layer of soft gray mold. Even its sails appear fully intact, although what hangs from the spars is not canvas but sheets of thick, pale fungus. Several thick ropes of fungus connect the ship's upper deck to the island almost like crude rope bridges.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I look at the others. "Right, sorry, I got a bit discouraged. Let's go." I follow Sasha's lead until we reach the ship.

    Upon seeing the ship my mood picks up. "Ah a ship! The sails seem to be intact. Let's get a closer look." I take the lead from here trying to lead the others to the ship.


    The others follow cautiously, but are also curious to explore the vessel. The fungal ropes make for a 60 foot climb between island and ship, one that you all easily make. On deck, you see that the fungus appears to be all over the deck as well. The eerie silence of the island permeates the ship.

    You can see that the door to the captain's cabin appears to be closed, possibly holding out the elements. There is also an open trap door leading down to the hold.


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I lead the group to the captain's cabin. "Okay let's do this right this time." I draw my sword and check the door. If the door is unlocked I cautiously move in. If it is locked I attempt to pick it. 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 If that fail I then will attempt the trap door.


    The cabin door opens slowly, and Aerys peers in behind you, javelin ready to throw through the opening.

    On the floor lies a creature similar to the ones you fought on the island itself yesterday during the afternoon. It is slightly larger, but it appears at the longspear it carried has fallen from its hand. The creature is motionless on the floor.

    Besides the inert figure on the floor, there is a desk, a moldy bed, and a few piles of rubbish.


    Besides the inert figure on the floor, there is a desk, a moldy bed, and a few piles of rubbish.

    Sasha steps forward past Aerys, and levels her rapier at the figure. When it does not move, she gives it a nudge with her booted foot, and there is no response. "If it were going to get us," she remarks, "It would be getting us. Let's look around, then get to the hold."

    Perception Checks:
    Aaron: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
    Aerys: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
    Sasha: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
    Jask: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


    While searching, Aerys manages to turn up a book from a pile of refuse on the floor. She opens it carefully, wincing slightly as it makes a cracking sound and bits of mold fall out. She looks at the first few pages with an intense look of concentration...

    Linguistics check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

    ...and shakes her head. "It's in some kind of code. A couple steps deep at the least. It would take hours to get through this."


    Male Half-Elf Character Level 3 Class Levels: Rogue lvl 1/Fighter lvl 1/Bard lvl 1

    I turn to Aerys and extend my hand. "Can I have a look." I look at the book. Linguistics:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


    Your analysis provides a similar result: that it would take hours of devoted study to decipher the code used to write the logbook.

    The form on the floor continues to lie inert, and you hear no other sounds from your surroundings.

    351 to 400 of 542 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Weynolt's Serpent's Skull - Part 1 All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.