Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Tarondor's Ptolus Campaign

Game Master Tarondor

Where in Ptolus is it?

MAP OF PYTHONESS HOUSE

Initiative Rolls:

[dice=Dain]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Holys]1d20+8[/dice]
[dice=Silas]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Tilver]1d20+3+1d6[/dice]
[dice=Velika]1d20+5[/dice]


1 to 50 of 1,211 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

.


A CONCISE HISTORY OF WHAT HAS GONE BEFORE

In the last days of the Great City, a great darkness awoke and looked on the unknowing populace with ancient malice and hunger. But there arose heroes that challenged the challenged the darkness for dominion. This is what they did before they shook the Spire and the Heavens.

THE MURDERER's TRAIL
Five old friends were walking through Midtown one rainy evening when the night was broken by a woman’s scream for help! Moving to investigate, Silas, Velika, Tilver, Dain and Holys found a young woman being set upon by a pair of violent thugs. They each bore the the double-finger ring of the Pale Dogs gang as well as the trademark black-painted fingernails. The two ran off, leading a hurried chase through the city. After interrogating their captives, the heroes discovered that the two Pale Dogs had been hired by a man they knew as Doffel to kill the young woman, whose name was Phon Quatermail. They carried a note describing exactly what she looked like and how to find her and where to get paid afterwards.

The heroes learned that Phon worked at a seamstress shop called Saches here in Midtown. She spent much of her time at St. Gustav’s Chapel, as she was a devout Lothianite. Traveling to St. Gustav’s they spoke to the resident priest, Fabitor Thisk. Fabitor knew Phon fairly well and was worried about her. He strongly suspected she was pregnant as a result of a recent love affair, and that she believed the affair is over. He didn’t know who Phon’s lover was, but he feared that the whole relationship was a problem. He implored the heroes to watch over her.

At Saches, the y discovered that at times it seemed as though Phon had more money than she should—not a lot more, but she never really appeared to have money problems.

Proceeding to the warehouse mentioned in the murderer’s note (on Able Row in Longbottom), they were attacked by a pair of assassins (Vagger and Laucio) who were intent on murdering Phon’s murderers. Beaten and intimidated, they admitted that they were hired to murder Phon by a local crime boss named Toridan Cran. They were trying to cheat the Pale Dogs to whom they subcontracted the murder.

IMAGE OF TORIDAN CRAN AND CRONIES

Confronting Toridan Cran in his “burrow” (a fortified block of townhouses), the heroes fought a desperate hand-to-hand battle and defeated Cran and his cronies. The axe-wielding half-orc Toridan nearly killed both Velika and Holys before he was defeated. The heroes learned from Cran’s books that someone named Methul Watcher had hired Cran to murder Phon Quatermail and specifically demanded that Cran hire out the murder. Here, the trail went cold. “Methul Watcher” seems not to have existed, likely an alias for whomever wanted Phon dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE TROUBLE WITH GOBLINS
The old Grayson house was haunted. Strange sounds and eerie lights plagued the abandoned home in the North Market. Through Brother Fabitor Thisk, the neighbors hired the heroes to look into the haunting. In reality, the house has never been haunted. It does, however, have a direct link from its cellar down into an ancient section of Ghul’s Labyrinth. This means that monsters have sometimes wandered up into the city from the house, starting various rumors. Most recently, the house was the lair of some goblins that had come up from below the city. They hunted at night, preying mainly upon pets, but occasionally taking down a lone citizen, whom they dragged back to the house. Generally, though, they stole rather than hunted, breaking into houses and taking food, valuables, and anything they could get their little hands on.

The heroes routed the goblins, as well as some ancient undead that had moved up from the Labyrinth to plague the goblins. They collected their fee and began to hold a very minor reputation as problem solvers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE TEMPLE OF THE RAT GOD
On the Street of Million Gods, tucked away amid a number of other very small temples literally built one atop another, the Temple of the Rat God appears to be nothing more than a nondescript door leading to the half-basement level of one of the adjoining temples. Those few who have even heard of the Rat God know him to be a cruel, petty, and bloody deity venerated by those who revere vindictiveness, selfishness, and spite. He also is a god of pestilence, filth, and disease. It comes as no surprise to anyone that many of the followers of the Rat God are, in fact, ratmen. To protect themselves, these ratmen either pose as humans (heavily cloaked in voluminous garments) or never leave the temple by way of the streets. But the secrets of this temple go deeper than just the presence of the ratmen. In truth, there is no Rat God at all. This hidden temple is a front for the veneration of Abhoth, a hideous being of chaos known as one of the “Galchutt”. Its adherents and clerics are chaos cultists known as “The Ebon Hand”, conducting vile, bloody rites.

The heroes learned from word on the street that a little-known temple was looking for help from someone with a lot of knowledge of machines. What they discovered was that the Temple of the Rat God had located some dangerous chaositech and was attempting to repair it prior to fencing it on the black market. They infiltrated the Temple of the Rat God from within, killing many ratmen and Ebon Hand cultists, though the leaders escaped into the city.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE SMUGGLER'S DAUGHTER
Not long after their victory at the Temple of the Rat God, Our heroes were approached by a priest of Asche named Mand Scheben. Mand told them that he had heard they had a run-in with Toridan Cran. He offered to hire them for “a risky venture”, but asked them to meet him at the famous Castle Shard to learn more. He explained, “The Lords of Castle Shard are my friends, and they have some small concern in this matter. Asche looks favorably upon them, because of their importance to Ptolus. More of them I cannot say.”

IMAGE OF LORD ZAVERE AND LADY RILL

Considering its reputation for strange events and stranger residents, almost everyone in Ptolus has heard of Castle Shard. Its current lord and lady are Lord Zavere—rumored to have once been a blackguard of the highest order, now reformed—and Lady Rill, said to be a fallen paladin turned sorceress. The Castle itself is so ancient that many believe it to have as existed as long as the Spire itself. There are records of its existence long before the city of Ptolus.

On arrival at Castle Shard, Our Heroes were met by the majordomo, Kadmus, a warm and kind old man who treated them well. They met Lady Rill only briefly, as she floated by, seated cross-legged on a platform held aloft by softly tweeting birds. The met with Lord Zavere, a courteous man who exuded confidence and competence.

Zavere told the heroes that Toridan Cran had an older brother, Linech Cran. Linech, though still a small-time thug, controlled a more powerful criminal enterprise than Toridan, and had crossed Zavere’s and Rill’s interests in the past. Zavere knew that Linech Cran had somehow come into unexpected money and was using it to expand his operation. Cran was hiring adventurers for some unknown mission and Zavere wanted Our Heroes to accept the job and report on what Cran was doing. Mand Scheben explained that Cran ran a drug-smuggling operation for the Balcazar crime family and manufactured the drug shivvel on an island somewhere out in the Whitewind Sea. Rumors were that something bad had occurred on that island. Our Heroes job was to find out what.

IMAGE OF LINECH CRAN

Our Heroes agreed to take on Zavere’s mission and reported to Linech Cran’s burrow. Cran hired them for a special job. His daughter Linele died on an island in the Whitewind Sea. The ship carrying her body back to Ptolus (the Arrowhead) sank in the Bay of Ptolus after a fire swept the ship. Cran believed it was no accident. He hired Our Heroes to go down to the Arrowhead and retrieve his daughter’s body and its sealed glass coffin. He supplied them with potions of water breathing for the job. In Cran’s office stood what appeared to be a solid gold statue of some Ptolusite nobleman!

Zavere later told them that Cran’s statue was in fact the polymorphed form of a friend of his, one Lord Abbercombe, and suggested that he would reward them handsomely for the return of Abbercombe.

Traveling to the wreck of the Arrowhead, the Heroes dove down and encountered a pair of violent sahuagin and their pet shark. They defeated the sahuagin but found that the Arrowhead had been ransacked and the glass coffin was gone. The debris trail of the sahuagin was easy to follow and it led them to a series of underwater caves. After sneaking around a bit, they fought some sahuagin, a giant crab and encountered some human slaves who told them the caves were below a manor house belonging to the Balcazar crime family.

In the caves, Our Heroes found Linech Cran’s daughter, Linele. Only Linele wasn’t quite as dead as advertised. She seemed very much alive and her mere presence caused powerful visions of death and destruction in those around her. The visions revealed that Linele herself was responsible for the utter destruction of her father’s drug operation out on the island. She seemed confused and frightened, but two things became obvious. First, she had somehow returned from the dead as a vampire even though she was clearly unaware of that fact. Second, she owned a pocket watch that was possessed by a demon.

Our Heroes managed to talk Linele into giving up the pocketwatch and to come away with them. They returned to Linech’s Burrow where Linele attacked her father, blaming him for all that had happened on the island. Against their better judgment, Our Heroes rescued Cran from his daughter and cut a deal with the crime boss. They would take Linele away where he would never see her again and in exchange, he would give them the statue of Lord Abbercombe. Cran questioned them closely about anything else in the coffin, eventually admitting he wanted the pocket watch. The Heroes wisely lied about having it and carted Lord Abbercombe back to Castle Shard.

Castle Shard where Zavere and Rill were horrified at what happened to Linele and advised the Heroes to turn her over to the Brotherhood of Redemption. They were even more concerned by the pocket watch and refused to keep it themselves, advising the Heroes to take the watch to the Pale Tower and turn it over to the Malkuth.

The Heroes turned Linele over to the Brotherhood of Redemption for safekeeping and help. But before they could take the watch to the Pale Tower, they were surrounded by a group of vampires who called themselves The Covenant of Blood. The vampires were clearly powerful and at their demand, the Heroes gave up the demon-possessed watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE WINGED CHEST
Later, the Heroes encountered a duo of ogres in the back alleys of Old Town that had somehow crawled up out of the Labyrinth to prey on the upper world. Between them they dragged a very special chest.

The chest measures about three feet long, two feet wide, and two feet tall and weighs three hundred fifty pounds. It appears to be made of wood bound in bronze, with small bronze plates set into its back and sides; images of winged horses are engraved upon the plates. A hefty, built-in lock is obvious at the front of the chest. The chest has so far defied all attempts to unlock it or determine its contents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

END OF THE TRAIL
Several months later, the Heroes were again approached by Brother Fabitor Thisk. He told them that Phon Quatermail was missing. She was several months pregnant and he was worried for her. However, Fabitor did have one sensational piece of information: he’d learned the identity of the father of Phon’s baby: Helmut Itelstein, married firebrand leader of Ptolus’s separatist Republican movement. Fabitor revealed this only reluctantly - he didn’t like feeling as if he’d spied on his parishioners.

Inquiring at the Temple Observatory of the Watcher of the Skies, the Heroes learned that Itelstein was out of town, but were able to discover the location of his home on Limit Street at the western edge of the Temple District. Watching the house for awhile, they saw that the supposedly empty house was occupied. Sneaking in, they encountered a pair of Fate Weaver soldiers guarding the pregnant Phon. Questioning the Fate Weavers after their defeat, Our Heroes learned that Helmut Itelstein believes that certain children called “runebearers” spell certain and imminent doom for the city. Despite the horrid nature of the act, Itelstein believes that only by destroying all runebearer children (including his own with Phon) can the city be saved.

In Itelstein’s home, the Heroes found several maps of important government and Church locations (the Administration Building, the Imperial University, the Holy Palace, etc.), along with a few notes on infiltrating or even destroying them. The rescued Phon steadfastly refused to believe that her talented and charming lover would ever really do her or her baby any harm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RESIDENT OF CASTLE SHARD
The Heroes were contacted by the dark elf and famous criminal Shilukar. The wanted murderer had made them an offer they didn’t feel they could refuse. He knew the secret to returning Lord Abbercombe to life and would reveal it to Zavere and Rill in exchange for sanctuary from the law inside Castle Shard. After talking it over, the Heroes decided to tell Zavere and Rill who in turn felt they could not refused Shilukar’s offer. They offered asylum to the vicious murderer and purveyor of chaositech in exchange for the elixir which would free their friend from his golden stasis.

IMAGE OF SHILUKAR POSTER


CHAPTER ONE: PYTHONESS HOUSE

After much research, you have learned that you might be able to get into the Winged Chest by acquiring a device known as Neveran’s All-Key, which could open any lock, regardless of the magic involved. Doing research the libraries of the Delver's Guild produced a satisfying result: A bizarre cult called the Crimson Coil, whose god or religious practices are unknown, last held Neveran’s all-key and kept it in a now-abandoned brothel called Pythoness House in Oldtown.

You now stand before that selfsame structure, ready to investigate.

IMAGE OF PYTHONESS HOUSE


Knowledge History, Local or Diplomacy (Gather Information) DC 14:
Pythoness House was a brothel and a front for a chaos cult known as the Crimson Coil. The Knights of the Pale raided it three years ago and killed cultists and demons here, driving others out into the city. The big structure has remained uninhabited since.

Knowledge History, Local or Diplomacy (Gather Information) DC 17:
Five Years Ago: Two human women, Maquent Dellisaria and Radanna Scalth, set up Pythoness House as a popular albeit illegal brothel with an odd twist. The prostitutes working here claim to be able to see the future during sexual intercourse; members of the clientele frequently pay for sex and a “reading” of their future at the same time.

Knowledge (History) DC 20:
The house was built 250 years ago by a wealthy human woman named Darma Kollotis. The house passed to her descendants until they were killed by brigands seeking the family jewels 190 years ago. Eighty-three years ago, the house became the property of elf historian Navaen Blueflight, who won it in a game of dragonscales. He enacted major renovations and lived here until twenty years ago when he moved to the Moonsilver forest, leaving the house abandoned for many years.


You will find a link to the map at the upper left of this and every page. For your convenience, here it is again:

MAP OF PYTHONESS HOUSE


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

Gather Information Check 1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Gather Information Check 2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

I have heard some odd things about the cult that formed this house in the past. I question how true some of these rumors about their abilities are considering they failed to protect the cult.

So, after I put in the rolls I realized that it was the same check and just had the improved DC's instead of different checks and went with my first total.


Right. Roll once and read any spoilers with that DC or less.


Male Half Elf Oracle 4 (Streets) - HP 27/27 - AC: 18 / T: 13 / FF: 16 - F: +2 / R: +3 / W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 16, Speed: 20, Init. +2 - Perception +10 (+12 w/ familiar)

Knowledge(Local) check:: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Knowledge(History) check:: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

Knowledge(History)check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Knowledge(Local)check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10
Silas Silvermane wrote:

I have heard some odd things about the cult that formed this house in the past. I question how true some of these rumors about their abilities are considering they failed to protect the cult.

"Hmmmm, I don't know. One of the prostitutes here once told me I'd be back one day beside a Litorian male with a beautiful silver aura. She asked me to make sure to bring him in with me, she'd be waiting to welcome him. I wonder if she's still here ..."


Male Half Elf Oracle 4 (Streets) - HP 27/27 - AC: 18 / T: 13 / FF: 16 - F: +2 / R: +3 / W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 16, Speed: 20, Init. +2 - Perception +10 (+12 w/ familiar)

Dain limps forward into the arched gateway and peers around at the courtyard. He leans on his spear, looks back towards his friends, and says in a soft voice,"An old place. Many stories." He crouches down, and as he does so, Magill, his raccoon companion, scurries forward to join him. Together they examine the ground, looking for any signs of recent visitors to Pythonesse House.

Search courtyard for tracks.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13


Male Human Sorceror (Gold Dragonic) 4; - HP 26/26 ,- AC 13/T: 12/FF: 11 - F: +5 R: +4/ W: +5 - CMB: +2 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30, Init. +8*, - Perception +7

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Knowledge(History): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Knowledge(Diplomacy): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Male Human Sorceror (Gold Dragonic) 4; - HP 26/26 ,- AC 13/T: 12/FF: 11 - F: +5 R: +4/ W: +5 - CMB: +2 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30, Init. +8*, - Perception +7

"I'll take your word for it. I don't know anything about this place. Keep a sharp eye, Dain."

Roll to assist Dain's perception check:

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

[Since Holys was expecting that we're wandering around an abandoned brothel today, he isn't wearing his expensive clothes and jewelry, just regular clothes. I'll try to note whether he's dressed up or not at each day, in case it makes a difference. He is however always wearing his signet ring.]


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

"If you say so. I say she failed to see her own end. And since this place is supposed to be deserted I doubt we will see any old inhabitants unless they are dead inhabitants."

Silas moves towards the door by going where Dain has already searched.


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

"Exactly", Velika whispers. She pulls up the hood of her cloak and begins to move quietly, behind Silas, towards the door.

Velika will try to be stealthy from this point out.
Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

Seeing Velika move cautiously forward Silas will also guard where he steps to avoid being heard by those inside as he moves up to the front door.

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Half-elf Fighter 1/Lamplighter Investigator 3 [hp 30/30; F+4, R+5, W+5 (+2 vs. enchantment) | AC 19/12/17 | Init +3+1d6 | Perception +8, Sense Motive +6; Low-light vision] [Inspiration remaining: 4/5]

Knowledge, Local (inspiration-free): 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 7 + (5) = 22

Knowledge, History (inspiration-free): 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (12) + 7 + (6) = 25

"Well, no one should have been here since the Knights of the Pale raided it 3 years ago. Though, I think that made them quite unpopular for a while. People tend to enjoy the idea of prostitute-seers. Makes them feel like they're contributing to something greater, while thoroughly enjoying it." He chuckles.

-Posted with Wayfinder


The entire structure sits atop a hill overgrown with weeds and shrubs amid the tall, unkempt grass. The hill is surrounded by a wrought iron fence in poor repair. In the front, a gate in the fence swings in the wind.

Rats and mice scurry away into hiding places among loose stones as anyone enters the overgrown courtyard. The walls are so high that it almost seems like an interior chamber, except that it lacks a roof. Sunlight finds its way into this place only rarely—mosses and fungi cover the stones more so than weeds or grass. Everything feels damp, and there is a palpable chill that was not felt outside. An open archway ahead and to the left leads into the structure, its door long gone.

A set of narrow and slippery steps leads up to a small well on a ledge that sits twelve feet above the level of the courtyard on its eastern side. A ledge, also twelve feet high, runs along the west portion of the courtyard, too, but there is no easy way to reach it.

Dain and Holys find a few bootprints here and there, but they could be weeks old.

Once everyone enters the grounds, a strange voice echoes out, seemingly from the stones of Pythoness House itself. It sounds like a whisper, but is very clear: “Come to me . . .”


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

Velika flashes a wicked grin at Silas, then turns back to the house and casts detect magic.

Cast Detect Magic and scan the house


The house? No. But when she happens to look back towards the gate, Velika sees a powerful evocation covering the entire entrance.


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

Use spellcraft to see what else I can learn about the evocation.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


It's a wall of force.


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

"Oh, Silas, she really doesn't want you to leave! There's a wall of force across the courtyard entrance behind us."


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

Silas shakes his head. "If they left magic like that behind we should be wary of other traps. For now though I think we can assume that was not done by the shade of a dead prophetic prostitute cultist. He moves up to the door and looks around to see if anything else is out of place.

+7 Perception to look for traps or anything else that might be askew. Does the door appear to be locked or barred?


Male Half Elf Oracle 4 (Streets) - HP 27/27 - AC: 18 / T: 13 / FF: 16 - F: +2 / R: +3 / W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 16, Speed: 20, Init. +2 - Perception +10 (+12 w/ familiar)

Dain picks up a couple of loose stores. He tosses one out the gate and watches it bounce off the invisible wall. He stares at it for a moment, his head tilting to the left while his eyes glaze over. With a lurch, his head snaps up straight again and his gaze refocuses. "Hmmph" he says, sagely.

Dain then shuffles up the narrow steps and peers down into the well.


Remember that if you want to take a look through a doorway, you must move your token to show that. I've moved you this time.

It's not a door; it's a doorway.

I've added a map of Level Two so you can understand the description, as Level One is open to Level Two in this room

GM Only. Nothing to See Here:

Silas: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
3: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

The damp room is filled with leaves and refuse blown in through the open doorway. A red carpet, dark with moisture and grime, covers most of the floor. The walls are bare stone, most of it rather crude, although upper portions were rebuilt with greater skill. A staircase along the northwestern wall of this chamber leads to a ledge twelve feet above to the north. (A bridge up there connects that ledge to a similar one on the south end.) The ledges are likewise covered in refuse, but not as much as the main floor. A mildew-coated, heavy curtain hangs to the east, concealing another room.

Silas notices two figures hiding in the dark. One the size of a large man, the other the size of a large child. They spring to the attack!

Silas spotted the attackers within the doorway. Everyone else is surprised.

Initiatives:

Silas: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Velika: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Tilver: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Holys: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Dain: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Initiative Order
Tilver (surprised)
Holys (surprised)
Dain (surprised)
Silas
Velika (surprised)
Ratling
Ratbrute

Pythoness House

Silas, go! One move or standard action only, please.


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

Silas speaks in an ancient language and moves his hand in a gesture of warding as a shimmering field comes to life before him. He then calls out a warning, "Two ratmen inside."

I cast shield. Sorry, I missed the map was up there.


My mistake. Silas has seen one small and one large creature. The large ratman is a giant! Easily eight feet tall. Does that change your action?


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

I think I currently have Cover from the wall and so I don't have to cast defensively. So I would still stay and cast Shield. If I need to cast defensively I would step 5 ft back to be behind the wall and then cast Shield


Yes, you have cover. Or you will until he moves, anyway.

By the way, Dain can see that the well looks old and disused. There is a similarly tall platform on the opposite side of the courtyard, but with no obvious way to get to it.

Also, there are two maps. I don't see both when I first open it up, but if I roll my mouse down, the second one appears. It is the second level.

Small crossbow v. Silas: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 141d6 ⇒ 1
Large greatsword with Power Attack v. Silas: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 8 - 2 = 82d8 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (2, 6) + 8 + 4 = 20

The smaller ratman darts out and fires his crossbow at Silas. The little barb lodges in the big litorian's armor without effect. A moment before Silas can react, there is a huge shadow hulking in the doorway and a nine-foot long sword slashes out. Silas dodges out of the way as the jagged piece of steel slams into the cobbles where he had stood.

"Death and blood!" yells the brute in a strangled cry. "Blood and souls for the Rat God!"

Knowledge (local) DC 15:
The small ratman is a "ratling" and is quick and clever but not very strong. They can easily swarm multiple ratlings in the space required for a single man. They carry many diseases

A second Knowledge (local) DC 15:
The large ratman is a "ratbrute" and is immensely strong. Skilled warriors, they are not stupid despite their brutish appearance and name. Their hides are supernaturally tough.

______________________________________________

Initiative Order
Tilver
Holys
Dain
Silas
Velika

Ratling
Ratbrute

Pythoness House

Anyone, go!


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

Silas growls at the giant rat and mutters, "What kind of stupid rat would attack me?" as the thought boils his blood sending strength through his body he draws his mighty curved blade and tries to behead the giant creature.

Falchion Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 Damage: 2d4 + 4 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 3) + 4 + 6 + 3 = 19

So part of me really wanted to go defensive with Shield and hold the door, but since I am playing a Bloodrager and all lets go ahead and rage. +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Will Saves and -1 AC (-2 Rage Penalty and +1 Natural Dragonblood bonus). Power Attack for -2 on the Attack and +6 damage.


Male Half Elf Oracle 4 (Streets) - HP 27/27 - AC: 18 / T: 13 / FF: 16 - F: +2 / R: +3 / W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 16, Speed: 20, Init. +2 - Perception +10 (+12 w/ familiar)

Knowledge(local) 1st roll: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

Knowledge(local) 2nd roll: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19


Male Half Elf Oracle 4 (Streets) - HP 27/27 - AC: 18 / T: 13 / FF: 16 - F: +2 / R: +3 / W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 16, Speed: 20, Init. +2 - Perception +10 (+12 w/ familiar)

Dain lets the stone fall from his hand as he reaches into his spell component pouch and pulls out a small piece of parchment. He chants and gestures, projecting his need for protection to the city's spirits, and a shimmering field surrounds him.

Dain grips his spear in both hands and shifts into a fighting stance. He limps back down the stairs and moves towards Silas. Magill follows just behind him.

Cast Shield of Faith on self; Move S,S,S,S

Shield of Faith gives +2 deflection bonus to AC for 4 minutes. Current AC = 20


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

Know(Local) 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Know(Local) 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Velika reaches into a pouch and then smears a pat of butter between her fingers as she gestures and chants, focusing on the large ratman.

Cast grease on the ratbrute's sword. Reflex save DC 14 or drop the sword, duration 4 min.


Ratbrute Reflex save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

The big sword shoots out of the monster ratman's hands!

Tilver, Holys, go!


Male Human Sorceror (Gold Dragonic) 4; - HP 26/26 ,- AC 13/T: 12/FF: 11 - F: +5 R: +4/ W: +5 - CMB: +2 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30, Init. +8*, - Perception +7

"Curses!"

Holys steps back (have moved on map) and summons his own invisible barrier of force - around his body. The ratmens' utterings mean nothing to him.

Knowledge(local): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Knowledge(local): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Cast Mage Armour on self; +4 armour bonus to AC for 1 hour. Current AC=17.

Spells remaining/total:
2nd (4/4)—scorching ray
1st (6/7)—burning hands (DC 17), mage armor , protection from evil, ray of enfeeblement (DC 15)
(DC 15)
0th (at will) —acid splash, arcane mark , detect magic , flare
(DC 16), light, open/close (DC 14), prestidigitation, read
magic, resistance


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

For what its worth. Mage Armor is 1/hr per level.


Half-elf Fighter 1/Lamplighter Investigator 3 [hp 30/30; F+4, R+5, W+5 (+2 vs. enchantment) | AC 19/12/17 | Init +3+1d6 | Perception +8, Sense Motive +6; Low-light vision] [Inspiration remaining: 4/5]

Knowledge, Local: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 7 + (6) = 33
Knowledge, Local: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 7 + (6) = 17

"Careful! The small one carries diseases! And the big one...well, it's big and tough." Tilver steps up and tries to spear the ratbrute.

Attack (cover): 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 7 - 4 = 9
Damage (cover): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Back from Thanksgiving. I can post more regularly now.


As Silas, Holys and Dain invoke protections, Velika causes the ratbrute's weapon to squirt from its hands and Tilver attacks.

The two ratmen squeak something to each other then retreat towards the stairs. The ratbrute draws a javelin as he goes while the ratling retreats up the stairs and reloads its crossbow.
.
.
.

______________________________________________

Initiative Order
Tilver
Holys
Dain
Silas
Velika

Ratling
Ratbrute

Pythoness House

Anyone, go!


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

Silas follows the giant rat creature and attempts to dart around the weapon as he moves in to strike the creature.

Acrobatics to avoid Attack of Opportunity: 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (1) + 8 - 5 = 4

Falchion Attack: 1d20 + 8 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 2 - 2 = 21 Damage: 2d4 + 4 + 3 + 6 ⇒ (4, 4) + 4 + 3 + 6 = 21

Current Effects: Shield +4 AC; Rage (rd 2/11) +4 Strength and Constitution, +2 Will, -1 AC (-2 Rage Penalty +1 Natural Armor)

Try and use acrobatics to avoid his attack of opportunity as I move in. Power Attack for -2 to hit and +6 damage


Thomas, please spell out in the attack what all the bonuses and penalties are.


Half-elf Fighter 1/Lamplighter Investigator 3 [hp 30/30; F+4, R+5, W+5 (+2 vs. enchantment) | AC 19/12/17 | Init +3+1d6 | Perception +8, Sense Motive +6; Low-light vision] [Inspiration remaining: 4/5]

Tilver rushes in behind Silas and tries to stab the ratling on the stairs with his longspear.

Attack (PA): 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 1 = 8
Damage (PA): 1d8 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 3 = 13


Male Litorian Bloodrager 4 (Steelbood- Silver Draconic Bloodline) - HP 39/40 ,- AC 22/T: 12/FF: 20 - F: +7 R: +4 W: +3* - CMB: +7 - CMD: 20, Speed: 25, Init. +2, - Perception +7 Scent; Rage 7/11

I am not seeing an edit button but I will add the Rage and Power attack info into the dice descriptor next time. In the above attack the +2 to hit and +3 damage is the Strength boost from Rage and the -2 to hit and +6 damage would be Power Attack.

The -5 from my Acrobatics would be the Armor Check penalty which is kind of meaningless since I cannot do that action. I had incorrect memories of rules between editions so we will skip those attempts in the future.


Silas Silvermane wrote:
I am not seeing an edit button

It disappears one hour after you post.


Ratbrute AoO v. Silas: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 221d8 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

As Silas darts in, the huge ratman strikes at him with a javelin that would have struck home a powerful blow but for Silas's mage armor. Instead, it deflects harmlessly off his breastplate. The same cannot be said for Silas's falchion which slices across the chest of the lightly-armored ratbrute, causing it to howl in rage and anger. A moment later, Tilver joins Silas, though the ratman easily parries the outthrust longspear.

At that moment, two more antagonists appear on the bridge overhead (see map of level 2) and drop oversized bombs with lit fuses! Each bomb explodes, engulfing both Silas and Tilver but stops short of harming either ratman.

Powder Bomb: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 2) = 8
Powder Bomb: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 5) = 14

IMAGE OF RATMAN ATTACK

______________________________________________

Initiative Order
Tilver (22 damage)(deafened 1 round)
Silas (22 damage)(deafened 1 round)
Ratlings on bridge
Holys
Dain
Velika

Ratling
Ratbrute (21 damage)

Pythoness House

Holys, Dain, Velika, go!


Male Half Elf Oracle 4 (Streets) - HP 27/27 - AC: 18 / T: 13 / FF: 16 - F: +2 / R: +3 / W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 16, Speed: 20, Init. +2 - Perception +10 (+12 w/ familiar)

Yikes, no to hit roll or reflex save on those powder bombs? Nasty.


Male Human Sorceror (Gold Dragonic) 4; - HP 26/26 ,- AC 13/T: 12/FF: 11 - F: +5 R: +4/ W: +5 - CMB: +2 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30, Init. +8*, - Perception +7
Silas Silvermane wrote:
For what its worth. Mage Armor is 1/hr per level.

Correct, thanks, though I can't edit it now!

Holys launches a bolt of acid at the rats dropping bombs from the upper floor.

Cast Acid Splash:

Attack roll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 (ranged touch; base +2, dex +2)
Damage roll: 1d3 ⇒ 3 (acid damage)

Spells remaining/total:
2nd (4/4)—scorching ray
1st (6/7)—burning hands (DC 17), mage armor , protection from evil, ray of enfeeblement (DC 15)
(DC 15)
0th (at will) —acid splash, arcane mark , detect magic , flare
(DC 16), light, open/close (DC 14), prestidigitation, read
magic, resistance


Technically, there is a hit roll, yes. It's an AC 5 to hit a specific intersection, but since they're simply dropping them I decided to forgo the roll for dramatic effect. Have a little original D&D flavor, Scarecrow!


Female Gnome Bard 4 - HP 27/30 - AC 18/T: 14/FF:15 - Perception +2 - F: +2/ R: +7/ W: +4 (+2 vs. Illusion) - CMB: +2 - CMD: 15, Speed: 20, Init. +5, Perception +2, Sense Motive +10

Velika pulls out her gun and moves toward the doorway. As she walks, she begins to tell the tale of their previous victory against the ratmen in the Temple of the Ratgod, reminding her companions of their heroic victory.

Draw my gun while moving SW,SW,S and use Oratory to begin Bardic Performance Inspire Courage +1 (round 1)

Inspire Courage: +1 competence bonus attack & weapon damage; +1 morale bonus save vs. charm & fear

1 to 50 of 1,211 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tarondor's Ptolus Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.