Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 2: Seven Days to the Grave

Online Maps

Party Loot Tracker


951 to 1,000 of 1,163 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

.

Let me know where you plan to go next.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

It's probably time to escort Ishani. Setting up a meeting through the Cerulean Society will take some time, so we're probably not going to get it done by tomorrow in-game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Dwarven Barbarian 4 | HP 45/45 (57/57) | AC 18 (16 Rage, 12 Touch, 17 Flat-Footed) | CMB +7/+9, CMD 18/20 | Fort. +7/10, Ref. +2, Will +4/6 | Init. +2 | Perc. +9 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 11/13 | Active conditions: Bless

"I say we skip all the pleasentries, march into his house, and beat the answers we want out of him! It's like my uncle said, once, when he went to negotiate with some Druegar. The other soldiers told him it was a trap, and he shouldn't meet them on their terms. He declared 'What are they going to do, kill me? I'd like to see them try! Death is only death!'"

"And then it turned out it was a trap, and they killed him. So, uh... Hmm... Maybe we should find neutral ground."


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Thod is awesome.

During the walk with Ishani, as we await Spiderbeard, I figured maybe we'd get to some character background...

Sevenspawn, fighting off a common dreary moment, sidles up beside Raven Six.

"I have been wondering some things," he says to her. "You will forgive me if it is not my place to ask, I trust, but I know so little about you. Where are you from? You are so... unique, perhaps is the word, to us. I am ashamed I have not asked you before, given that we have all relied upon one another so heavily. Can you share your tale?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

Patting a secret pocket to make sure he still has his token from the Cerulean Society: "It sounds like Ishani is happy to wait until until tomorrow, so we can fill up the rest of our day arranging this meeting with Devargo. I believe we have a way in to the Cerulean Society, and I'm happy to make our appeal there. Or we can split up again, if you'd prefer to escort the priest right now."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

Ack! Sorry for not responding sooner! >.<

"My tale is simple. I was the ward of a scholar of advanced years, in Ustalav. He taught me basic alchemy and meant for me to be his heir, but his blood relatives contested the will when he suddenly died, and I needed to depart with alacrity.
I have pursued my urge to understand all, master all, here to Korvosa. Ah -- by 'master', I do not mean control, but rather.... be able to deal with, I think."

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Sense motive DC 2:
There is a big lie of omission and a lesser lie of omission in what Raven Six has told you.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

"Ah, yes. I see." Sevenspawn nods once, slowly, as if processing. He looks as if he would say more but does not, respecting privacy.

He looks to Donnell. "If Ishani wishes to wait, I am amenable to filling the day with a visit to... whoever your contact is, friend Fox. I fear that this may cost us something significant, though, and I am low on funds."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 7 + (2) = 14

Looking sidelong at Raven6, do I even have to roll for a DC of 2?! Donnell pats her gently on the hand: "That's alright, lass. We all have our secrets. Our friend here isn't exactly up front about how a street gang came to have a priest on their crew."

"As for the Ceruleans, I'm not sure what price they'll demand, but we do have the token that Master Twigstep gave us. We can trade that for a favour (hopefully without too much resentment), but we'll have to make sure to get it into the right hands."

Know/Local: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 9 + (6) = 19


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

Raven Six does something .... odd. At the implication that he companions know she has been lying, her pupils visibly dilate, then contract. Dilate, then contract. Then normal. But she says nothing.

"Preferably, the hands of someone who does not like the spider knave," the Alchemist replies to Donnell's words about the right hands.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sevenspawn snorts lowly at Donnell's jab, but with a slight smile. "It's no secret, my friend. I was raised by them. Devotion to The Everbloom happened later..."

He trails off, noting the activity in Raven Six's eyes. He opens his mouth, closes it, pauses a long moment and opens it again.

"Whatever paths brought us all together," he says flatly, "they lie behind us now. I am glad to find myself in the company of three people I trust and respect. I have much to learn from all of you."

He claps his hands together once as he turns, as if breaking a spell of some sort. Walking again, he looks over his shoulder. "So. Raven Six. Do I pronounce your name too fully? Do you prefer 'Raven', or both names together?"


N Male Dwarven Barbarian 4 | HP 45/45 (57/57) | AC 18 (16 Rage, 12 Touch, 17 Flat-Footed) | CMB +7/+9, CMD 18/20 | Fort. +7/10, Ref. +2, Will +4/6 | Init. +2 | Perc. +9 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 11/13 | Active conditions: Bless
Raven Six wrote:
"My tale is simple. I was the ward of a scholar of advanced years, in Ustalav. He taught me basic alchemy and meant for me to be his heir, but his blood relatives contested the will when he suddenly died, and I needed to depart with alacrity."

"Huh, they wanted to take all of his alacrity? Greedy bastards, bet they didn't even know what it was for. Whaddidya do with his alacrity?"

Raven Six wrote:
Raven Six does something .... odd. At the implication that he companions know she has been lying, her pupils visibly dilate, then contract. Dilate, then contract. Then normal. But she says nothing.

Thod stares, a bit cockeyed. And then, showing his utter lack of grace, he fails to acknowledge the discomfort she has shown towards this line of questioning. (I'm just going to have Thod fail his Sense Motive check here. Seems fitting that he wouldn't catch on.)

"Uhh, you feelin' alright there, Raven? Your eyes are movin' all weird, like a, uh, a, well... You're not on some drugs, right now, are you? Ahh, then again, yer an alchemist."

"So, raised by somebody else, you said? Orphan, I take it. Not knowin' yer birth parents is always pretty rough."

Sevenspawn wrote:
"Whatever paths brought us all together," he says flatly, "they lie behind us now. I am glad to find myself in the company of three people I trust and respect. I have much to learn from all of you."

"I, uh, I took the road that leads from Janderhoff to here. I think it's more to the west then behind us, actually. I'm, uh... Glad you're happy? Though I guess you mean more these two on learnin' things." Thod gestures to Raven Six and Donnell.


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3
Sevenspawn wrote:
"So. Raven Six. Do I pronounce your name too fully? Do you prefer 'Raven', or both names together?"

"Either is fine. I respond to both, just not to "Six". Completeness is .... appreciated, but in stressful situations like melee combat the shorter 'Raven' is probably more advisable."

Thjodrorir "Thod" Six-Picks wrote:
"Huh, they wanted to take all of his alacrity? Greedy bastards, bet they didn't even know what it was for. Whaddidya do with his alacrity?"

Raven Six smiles a little. "I have kept it for myself, friend Thod," she replies. "Alacrity comes in handy in stressful situations, say, if you need to run for your life."

Thod wrote:

Thod stares, a bit cockeyed. And then, showing his utter lack of grace, he fails to acknowledge the discomfort she has shown towards this line of questioning.

"Uhh, you feelin' alright there, Raven? Your eyes are movin' all weird, like a, uh, a, well... You're not on some drugs, right now, are you? Ahh, then again, yer an alchemist."

"I am well, friend Thod. Unlike many of my colleagues, I have chosen not to overindulge in narcotics. Some exposure has been unavoidable in the course of my experiments, but I refuse to become addicted."

Thod wrote:
"So, raised by somebody else, you said? Orphan, I take it. Not knowin' yer birth parents is always pretty rough."

"Oh, I know my .... parentage, but yes, I was raised by my mentor. It is worse to know your kin yet know you are better off with those are not .... blood. That is all I will say."


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3
Thod wrote:
"I, uh, I took the road that leads from Janderhoff to here. I think it's more to the west then behind us, actually. I'm, uh... Glad you're happy? Though I guess you mean more these two on learnin' things." Thod gestures to Raven Six and Donnell.

Sevenspawn smiles slightly, appreciative of Thod for who he is. "Not at all, Master Six-Picks. Your combat lessons help me become more useful in battle and I hope to learn more in the days ahead. I'm aware that my greater potential lies in helping in other ways, but..." The cleric gestures vaguely at his chain mail and shield, pushing some air out his nose. "I found my calling with Milani, but I have always liked a good scrap. I need to continue to improve at it for when it's truly needed."

Raven Six wrote:
"Oh, I know my .... parentage, but yes, I was raised by my mentor. It is worse to know your kin yet know you are better off with those are not .... blood. That is all I will say."

The priest nods in agreement, but silently notes her carefully-chosen words of parentage and blood. "I understand to a degree. My mother handed me to the Dead Kings at a young age. I have thanked her many times for doing so. Were I raised by blood, I would not be so well off."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"I was not given away," Raven Six says with a faint hint of pride in her voice. "My mentor took me in out of kindness, and kept me on as his heir out of respect for my hunger for knowledge. We shared that quality. I do still miss our discussions and experiments from time to time."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

As the conversation rolls from addiction to parenting, Donnell's stormy features change from dark to glowering. Growling: "Given away, left behind: what's the difference?"

Reaching a hand to an inner pocket for his flask: "So what's the plan for our dear king of spiders? Or are we planning to sail through on Raven 6's wit, Thod's brawn, Sevenspawn's charming personality, and my good looks?"

Spitting out his swig: "Faugh! the bottom of this is horrid. Thod, do you have anything worth drinking on you?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Dwarven Barbarian 4 | HP 45/45 (57/57) | AC 18 (16 Rage, 12 Touch, 17 Flat-Footed) | CMB +7/+9, CMD 18/20 | Fort. +7/10, Ref. +2, Will +4/6 | Init. +2 | Perc. +9 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 11/13 | Active conditions: Bless

"Waitaminute..." Thod begins pointing at each member of the group as he counts on his fingers. "Parents gave you away, parents abandoned you, parents... uhh, weren't around... I'm the only one here who had parents who raised him normally? Huh."

And just as quickly as he came to that conclusion, Thod filed away this interesting data point and continued walking, making no further observations on it.

Donnell wrote:
"So what's the plan for our dear king of spiders? Or are we planning to sail through on Raven 6's wit, Thod's brawn, Sevenspawn's charming personality, and my good looks?"

"No idea. Just following you guys. I don't know anything."

Donnell wrote:
"Faugh! the bottom of this is horrid. Thod, do you have anything worth drinking on you?"

Thod suddenly looks more animated as he starts digging through the multiple flasks and canteens on his person.

"Of course, of course."

He starts by sniffing the air around Donnell.

"Bleah, what the heck was that? I've smelled weapon polish that would be more drinkable. Let's see, first you need a palette cleanser. Don't want anything too heavy, just something mild to wash the bad taste out. I prefer a good Dwarven ale myself, but that might be a bit heavy for you. Instead, perhaps some good Halfling mead. It's a bit sweet and mild for my tastes, but works well to wash out the throat."

Thod hands over a smaller flask, a bit buried in his pouches.

"Now, after that, then you can actually enjoy a good drink. Were you hoping for something to keep you warm? Keep you awake? Mellow out? Savour? All sorts of different drinks. Maybe a nice elven wine? Very sweet, and lacks the punch of a good dwarven drink, but can work well for a midday treat. Gotta consider who makes it. Elven drinks tend to be really sweet, though kinda weak. Some of the fancier ones can have really interesting tastes, though. Dwarven drinks are like a punch to the gut. Wakes you up and puts you on the defensive, if it doesn't knock the taste right out of you. Halfling drinks are pleasant and filling, something you drink when relaxing at home with a nice fire. And gnomish drinks?... Don't try gnomish drinks. Nobody knows what the hell goes in gnomish drinks. Hell, I don't even think the gnome making them knows what goes in them! Anyways, after that, then you have..."

Thod continues, not noticing if people are even paying attention or not.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

Donnell, looking faintly embarrassed, prefers not to tell Thod that his flask is generally filled with a mix of whatever is left at the bottom of the glasses left on the bar at the end of the night. It's not pretty, and generally tastes awful, but it's usually the best he's able to get his hands on.

Nevertheless, he follows Thod's conversation avidly, absorbing, as is his wont, as much information as possible, and pressing the dwarf for as much information as he can provide (especially if Thod is willing to allow him to sample his way through his education).
not to the point of excess, of course, they are on a mission, after all

"so, this wine is made by the Mierani elves; and you're trying to tell me that this is a Chelaxian wine? I think I'm going to need a bit more practice to sort this out."


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sevenspawn watches the dwarf and halfling talk spirits awhile, thinking to himself silently as the group walks. He speaks sometime later.

"The more I think about meeting Devargo in a neutral place," he begins, "the more I think that he will consider this a poor idea, as I have said. But moreso... I'm not sure that it's a good idea for us, either.

"The coin that Master Twigstep gave you, Fox, seems valuable. If we use it to call in a favour and he declines, it will not have been well-spent and we will have lost it. What motive will he have to accept? He has done what he felt he needed to do; he has no reason to meet us further. If the Society forces him, he will be less than amiable.

"But more than that," he continues, "if it turns to violence and we are determined to have any hand in that, then all we will have accomplished is to bring the Cerulean Society down on us. Even if the peace is held but clear enmity remains, we won't want to look over our shoulders for his men. We would have to go to Eel's End to finish it."

He shakes his head a little. "I am not opposed to what we have agreed upon already, friends. But I value your further thoughts in this."


.

Great RP guys, thanks for tending the fire during my absence.

Curse of the Crimson Throne, Chapter Two: Seven Days to the Grave
Part Two: Outbreak

When last we left our heroes...

A plague has struck Korvosa, a new disease named the 'blood veil' which strikes worryingly fast and appears to be highly contagious. How fatal it is remains yet unknown.

After the daring rescue of Trinia Sabor by the mysterious Blackjack, you were recruited by Vencarlo Orisini, who Blackjack had delivered the girl to, to escort Trinia out of the city to safety. Upon your return you were whisked away by a soldier yuou had once helped, Grau Soldado to the Varisian neighborhood of Trail's End.

At Trail's End you used Raven Six's antiplague to great effect to cure Grau's niece, earning a great Varisian feast and the permanent love of the family. During this time, Donnell slipped out to discover the disease was beginning to spread, and already people were selling cure-alls. Constrained by his avaricious faith, a cleric of Abadar named Ishani Dhatri was also attempting to help, and has now joined with you for now.

After visiting the Temple of Abadar, where Raven Six promised huge crowds a plan to mass-produce antiplague, you are now en route with Ishani to meet with Field Marshall Cressida Croft. A soldier who's loyalty lies with the city first, and the Queen second, and at this point an old friend.

***

Ishani remains silent, and looks slightly amused at Thod as you escort the terrified cleric through the city. His fears are unfounded - although there was certainly a crowd at the temple, whatever is happening has not quite struck the entire city. The streets are mostly empty, a sign that people are staying in.

You come and meet the guards, who all wave to you cheerily, knowing you all by name at this point. "If you're here for Cressida, she's meeting with some Physician of the Queen's! Hurry up if you want to catch it."

The echoes of forcefully spoken but unintelligible words resound off the imposing granite and iron walls of Citadel Volshyenek’s outer curtain. Dozens of red-and-silver armored guards stand in assembly upon the pitted stone mustering ground here, muttering in hushed, somber tones. Before them, atop a weathered wooden platform, paces Field Marshal Kroft, her eyebrows arched sternly as she momentarily tolerates the crowd’s murmurs. Behind her upon the scaffold stand three grizzled veteran guards at attention, as well as an ominous-looking group. These newcomers wear cowled robes of oily-looking leather, supple gloves, and wide black hats. Some grip heavy canes, others dark satchels. Each of them, though, wears a dark-goggled mask tapering to a pointed beak. Among them stand two others. The first is a middle-aged gentleman in a simple black overcoat with streaks of white gracing the sides of his short, dark hair. He watches the gathered guards with a soft, concerned expression, his hands tightly clasping a heavylooking doctor’s case. The second figure is an imposing one indeed—one of the queen’s new Gray Maidens, clad in her
resplendent plate armor and crimson plume.

The Field Marshal’s fierce tone cuts through the rumble of whispers as she addresses her gathered guards. “You will escort Doctor Davaulus and his physicians in their royal duties wherever those might take them. Furthermore, you are to consider orders from any of the queen’s Gray Maidens to be as binding as those of any superior officer in the
Korvosan Guard. You are the Korvosan Guard. You will not balk. These are dire times, and your city needs these healers. Your city needs you. Your patrol leaders have your assignments. Dismissed!”

After Cressida's orders, the guards unhappily begin to file out, and she turns to head into the Citadel with the Queen's Physician.

Doctor Davalus has been added to the NPC gallery in the online maps link.


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"It would seem the queen is not entirely negligent in her duties."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

Calling out over the crowd: "Field Marshall! Doctor! Could you spare us a few moments of your time? We have some information that might prove vital and, at the very least, we should pool our resources."


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sevenspawn chews the inside of his cheek absently as he listens to Kroft, sizing up the masked physicians from under his hood.

"Physickers," he says darkly to no one in particular, spitting on the ground as the scene starts moving again. "Hrrrmmmmm. Well." He looks to Raven Six. "Let us see how well she accepts the aid of priests and alchemists."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"A skilled physicker can be very useful and informative," Raven Six says, shrugging.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sevenspawn shrugs in turn. "Yes. But as a first response to a new plague? I would look to my priests, my wizards, my alchemists first. I doubt herbs will clear this affliction."

He looks up to the masked figures distrustfully. "I wonder where they are from."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"Alchemy is in no small part about distilling qualities inherent in natural items, such as herbs, and enhancing them by judicious infusions of magic," Raven Six says in a soothing tone. "Magic is not always available, and sometimes even inadvisable. If these physicians do a good job, they do a good job."


.

Cressida glances up as she notices you, and the perpetually put-upon woman manages a smile as she waves you over. "Doctor, I'm delighted to introduce Sevenspawn, Raven Six, Thod, and Donnell. They have proved invaluable agents of the Queen's and have worked tirelessly for the good of the city. And... with them is..." She trails off.

"Ishani of Abadar. I am a representative of the Bank, and come here to offer our services in combating the plague."

Cressida nods politely. "A pleasure, Banker. Well then you're at the right place. Let me introduce you to do Doctor Reiner Davaulus, who the Queen has appointed to combat the plague."

Davaulus looks at all of you, he has a gentle, precise way of speaking. Slightly put off by the fact he is surrounded by physicians who stare at you ominously from behind their plague masks. "A sincere pleasure. Her Majesty is gravely concerned about this blood evil, and brought me in from Egorian as soon as signs appeared. I am still finding my bearings and am here to develop a counter-strategy with the Field Marshall."

He looks keenly at Donnell. "What information do you have?"


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"Egorian," Raven Six repeats. "Ah. That is a major metropolis in the nation of Cheliax, known colloquially as "the devil-bought", is it not?"


.

Davaulus inclines his head to Raven Six. "I know it best as City of Thorns, but the name stands to reason. The Church of Asmodeus is centred there, as is House Thrune which stands in partnership with it. However, I was there in the employ of the Queen's family Arvanxi which was never particularly enamored with the Lord of Darkness."

Knowledge Nobility DC 15:

House Arvanxi is one of the ten great houses of Cheliax, whose primary seat of power is in Westcrown where its patriarch Aberian Arvanxi is the mayor of Westcrown, although like all houses it is established in Egorian as well. Aberian is a notorious hedonist, a famously corpulent man noted for his love of the opera and ludicrously opulent feasts. As with most families in crumbling Westcrown, it is not noted for being diabolist.

Ileosa was one of the most popular daughters of the family, and her leaving for Korvosa to marry the aging King of a former colony has been a great scandal to House Arvanxi.


N Male Dwarven Barbarian 4 | HP 45/45 (57/57) | AC 18 (16 Rage, 12 Touch, 17 Flat-Footed) | CMB +7/+9, CMD 18/20 | Fort. +7/10, Ref. +2, Will +4/6 | Init. +2 | Perc. +9 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 11/13 | Active conditions: Bless

Thod cocks an eyebrow at the weird bird masks being worn by the doctors, but otherwise steps back and lets everyone else do the speaking.

Quote:
"It would seem the queen is not entirely negligent in her duties."

"Eeeh, probably realizes that she has to do something or else people are going to be really pissed off at her."

Probably the cheapest solution she could find, too. Gotta save money for fine wines and expensive dresses, Thod thinks to himself, but with enough sense to not blurt it out. At least, not this close to agents of the queen.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3
Raven Six wrote:
"Alchemy is in no small part about distilling qualities inherent in natural items, such as herbs, and enhancing them by judicious infusions of magic," Raven Six says in a soothing tone. "Magic is not always available, and sometimes even inadvisable. If these physicians do a good job, they do a good job."

Sevenspawn sighs through his nose. "Yes. You are right. I tend to be suspicious, and I do not trust our current monarch given... what has happened already. I shall try to be more open."

**

The priests remains quiet under his hood during the later exchanges, watching the faces and listening to the words of Davaulus, Ishani and the Field Marshal.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been without internet for a month

Know/Nobility: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 7 + (3) = 20

Under his breath at the others: "Hsss - hush now! We might not like her, but the Queen's people are here now and it looks like we'll have to work with them."

Approaching Davaulus and Cressida, Donnell speaks up: "It will be good to have the backing of the Crown, especially as we have a few ideas that will be difficult to accomplish by our small company."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 9 + (1) = 15

Donnell tells the doctor what he knows of the plague ship; the illness and how they pushed back the infection in Grau's niece (leaving out their names, of course), while leaving room for Ishani to fill in what he knows about the disease; and concluding with the basics of Raven Six's plan (leaving her to fill in the specifics should they want any).

"As you can see, saving the city is likely to be a major undertaking. I would like to begin investigating the origins of the disease itself, as well as the location of the plague ship, but I can't do that if I'm stuck in a lab. Do you have any alchemists on staff? Or, Field Marshall, do you have a means of helping us to collect those in the city so that we can coordinate them?"


.

Dauvulus blinks as Donnell walks up and begins explaining everyhting he knows.

"We're aware of the ship - I can have the guards indicate its location to you if you want to investigate, your help may be invaluable there. As for alchemists... can you explain your idea before requesting resources for it? Alchemy is uncommon in Korvosa as the crown normally employs magic, but this is an emergency."

He grimaces a little. "Unfortunately, with a potential plague on our hands, there are nowhere near enough powerful clerics to treat more than a few dozen people a day. Explain your idea."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"Antiplague," Raven Six explains. "An alchemical formula. It is not an immediate cure, but it reinforces the health of the imbiber to the point that they can fight off the disease - any disease. We have already seen success on our first clinical trial. With sufficient financial support, we can construct a mass-production facility and produce large quantities. We only need to get the word out to anyone and everyone with sufficient alchemical know-how and set up the facility, and we can get started. I was thinking of petitioning the Bankers of Abadar for the funds; after all, a healthy economy requires a healthy population, and the facility could pay for itself once the plague has passed and it is geared to commercial ventures. It could make the city a fortune."


.

Davaulus looks over to Ishani, who hesitates before speaking. "The antiplague had an immediate effect on the patient. However, they could not guarantee that she was cured, only that she appeared cured. I intend on visiting the patient tomorrow to verify."

Davaulus turns to face Raven Six and Donnell, speaking gently but quickly. "I'm aware of antiplague, although have not used it. Your idea is worth exploring, however there are several logistical issues I recommend you put your minds to. The first is the cost - antiplague is not cheap and Korvosa has a population of eighteen thousand. Let's be generous and assume we will make ten thousand doses. Now..."

He starts ticking off fingers. "Let's assume money is not an issue - which it is. Is antiplague something you can whip up in a minute? Or does it take more time? Why does it take more time? Is it a question of labour or time? For example, nine women cannot have a child in one month. Will unskilled labourers do the work or do you require trained alchemists? How many alchemists are there in all of Korvosa? I can't imagine more than a dozen. What materials do you need, and where do they come from? You cannot imagine how quickly you run out of supplies when you need to make ten thousand of something. And what kind of laboratory do you need for such an operation? Does such a laboratory exist anywhere in the city?"

The Doctor looks at all of you sternly. "I do not intend to dissuade you. These are questions to explore. Contact the Field Marshall when you have answers. She and I must attend our meeting now. As well as investigating the feasibility of your antiplague idea, looking into the sunken plague ship is an excellent idea. Every guard going to be put to work and agents who can move freely are essential. If there is nothing else..."

Dr Davaulus gesture to Ishani and Cressida. "We have much to discuss."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"Manpower and time are the main issues," Raven Six says in a dispassionate tone. "Finances and equipment are secondary. Fortunately, in a crisis situation like this one I expect people will be happy to learn skills they might otherwise scorn. An apprentice, overseen by a master, can perform monkey-see, monkey-do and learn on the job. While the costs of and time needed for creating a single dosis of antiplague are not minimal, neither are they insurmountable. The Bank can help with that, under the terms I just mentioned.

To be blunt, the city can not afford not to also take this step. Every moment, the plague is spreading."


.

As Davaulus gathers Ishani and Cressida to leave, he turns to look at Raven Six. "Your conviction is excellent, we need that. So do some work and stop asking me to do it for you. Bring me the numbers. People, time, money, materials and then find ways to get them. The Bank of Abadar doesn't loan money for free. They will expect you to sell the antiplague at profit which will ensure they see their money back with interest."

Davaulus and Cressida head into the Citadel. Ishani hangs back for a moment.

"Thank you so much. Here, for your troubles - the Bank of Abadar pays. The Bank must loan the money at a profit, they cannot otherwise. Figure out a way to make that work. I can be found at the Bank if you need more help."

Ishani presses a bag of gold into Raven Six's hands before he runs into the Citadel to catch up with Cressida and Dr. Davaulus.

You have earned 200 gold! It is now well into the evening. Let me know if you want to rest for the evening or push on to one of several areas to investigate.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sevenspawn sighs, remaining quiet for a moment before speaking in the wake of the doctor's deaprture.

"Well." He clears his throat. "We have the ship, which Raven Six's reading suggests we won't find what we are looking for; we have the Spider King, to determine what precisely his issue was; and... Grau's sister to look in on at some point soon, I reckon."

He shuffles his boots in the dirt, looking down at them. "I would very much like to know where this plague first started. It may help us discover how."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

"Let's begin our investigations into the ship and the origins of the plague tomorrow."

Glancing up at the dying sunlight: "I think, for what remains of the day, we should take a couple of steps toward resolving our issues with the Spider. I doubt that we could arrange a meet for tonight, but perhaps the Thieves' Guild can help us set something up for tomorrow evening. I can head to the docks to see about making contact through the Guild - I think that's safer than trying to contact him directly."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"I would recommend against travelling by yourself," Raven Six cautions.


.

Post pushing to the next day, you're still deciding on what you will do tonight if anything.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3
Donnell wrote:
"I think, for what remains of the day, we should take a couple of steps toward resolving our issues with the Spider. I doubt that we could arrange a meet for tonight, but perhaps the Thieves' Guild can help us set something up for tomorrow evening. I can head to the docks to see about making contact through the Guild - I think that's safer than trying to contact him directly."

Sevenspawn shrugs, having already made his case.

"As you wish," he replies. "I will accompany you."


N Male Dwarven Barbarian 4 | HP 45/45 (57/57) | AC 18 (16 Rage, 12 Touch, 17 Flat-Footed) | CMB +7/+9, CMD 18/20 | Fort. +7/10, Ref. +2, Will +4/6 | Init. +2 | Perc. +9 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 11/13 | Active conditions: Bless

"Wasn't Sevenspawn saying something about how meeting him on neutral ground would probably be more expensive and not that worthwhile? Did we still want to follow through on that? I mean, worth a shot, I guess... Got no better ideas. Though, really, I'm pretty sure he just wanted to get back at us for taking his pet mini dragon, there. Sure, he lost him fair and square in a bet, but that don't mean he wouldn't hold a grudge."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

Feeling the weight of popular opinion against him, Donnell stops his walk through the streets and rounds on the group:

"Listen, I don't want to meet with the 'Spider King' at all - I think we were very lucky to walk out of his lair with our throats intact the first time. I certainly do not trust our chances now that he's had a chance to stew in his fury for a few days. The man had the temerity to attack the Dead Kings where they live!"

"Now granted, and forgive me Phaedran, the Kings are a small organization, but you don't go to war if you aren't prepared to spill blood. In this case, it is our blood that is going to be spilled. I understand if you don't want to involve the Cerulean Society, but I've heard no other plan than suicidally walking into the Spider's lair with hats in hand. Sevenspawn, as you yourself pointed out, the man styles himself a king. In my experience, royalty view the rest of us as expendable."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 9 + (6) = 20
yes, I'm using Diplomacy on my own group :P

"Now, I know a guy ...
Know/Local: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 9 + (6) = 24
yes, I know a guy who can get me an introduction. From there, I can ask a favour. I won't quibble further - if you think that's a bad idea, I will turn my attention to what is most needed, and where my skills are most useful: the investigation into the origins and curing of this plague. But, without a concrete plan, I refuse to walk unprotected to Devargo's door."

Feeling talked out, somewhat guilty for arguing with his shipmates, and angry at himself for his own fears, Donnell turns on his heel and stalks off down the street, fully expecting that nobody will follow him.


.

Lemme know if you're following Donnell's plan or doing something else since I don't have group consensus to push.


Male CG Human Cleric 4 HP: 35/37 I AC: 18 (10 Tch, 18Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +3 Speed 30ft | Channel 6/6 | Spells 3/3

Sevenspawn quietly looks at the others a moment before treading after Donnell.

"I am amenable," he says from the rear. "It is only that I do not see the need for the approach. You have laid your position plain and I shall follow. Let us get it done."


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"Indeed," Raven Six agrees. "Let us get it done so we may pursue more important matters without feeling that this unsavory lickspittle is dogging our heels."


N Male Dwarven Barbarian 4 | HP 45/45 (57/57) | AC 18 (16 Rage, 12 Touch, 17 Flat-Footed) | CMB +7/+9, CMD 18/20 | Fort. +7/10, Ref. +2, Will +4/6 | Init. +2 | Perc. +9 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 11/13 | Active conditions: Bless

"Uhh... What they said. Need me for anything? If not, I'm going to the bar."


.

They need Thod for something. However, Donnell also knows that the Cerulean Society - strangely - does not operate in Old Korvosa. Only on the Mainland and East Shore, where they collect dues from gangs, and practice the protection racket they have operating on every business in the city. Their members are noted for distinctive blue shirts - when the blue shirts come, you best pay up.

Donnell kills two birds with one stone, the contact he's aware of is Perni Grapeblossom, a gnomish bartender in Midland who operates a gambling den and occasionally deals shiver. He knows she doesn't pay to the guild - a likely sign that she is one of them, or in very good standing.

Her bar, the Prismatic Taproot is just a twenty minute walk from the Citadel, and you reach there without too much difficulty. Entering the bar you see a lot of empty seats and a very grumpy gnome. A few people sit in corners drinking gnomish wine.

"FINALLY! Someone who might be able to buy something. All my damn customers are sick."

She blinks as Donnell leads the group in. "Oh hi Fox, solving something?"


Female Android Alchemist 3/Rogue 1; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +10; AC 18 (+2 Dex., +2 armour, +4 Shield); hp 30; Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +3

"Ah. Gnome," Raven Six says, fixing Perni Grapeblossom with a very intense stare. "Uomo Morosus. Known for changes in appearance, based on real-life experiences. An interesting phenomenon. Tell me, have you observed that the immanence of a potentially omnicidal pestilence has caused any changes?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 4 | HP: 22/23 | AC: 16 (13 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 2, CMD: 15, FF: 12 | F: +4, R: +9, W: +7 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9 | Locate Traps +12 | Disable Traps +11 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 5/5 | Harrow Points: 2 |+2 vs Poison & Fear

"Hey there, Perni. Looking to solve many things these days, not the least of which is this terrible thirst. Let's have a round of wine for my new friends, then perhaps we can chat a bit."

To pay for the drinks, Donnell pulls out a handful of coins that include the Cerulean coin token. Counting out the price of the drinks (plus tip!), Donnell will attempt some slight of hand to ensure that only the bartender has seen the token before slipping them back into his pouch.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

951 to 1,000 of 1,163 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.