Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

GM Sloth's Carrion Crown (Inactive)

Game Master ThreeEyedSloth

Part II - Trial of the Beast
Roll20 Link


1,351 to 1,400 of 2,256 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

"Actually, there were six graves... Rachel, Karin, Maarten, Gaard, Allan, Ellsa."


"I think you all do this to torture me. Six? Farg me. Six." Kevin continues to lay on his back and look up at the sky.


Male Elf (Current Health 25 / 28) Inquisitor of Pharasma 4 / Urban Ranger (Falconer) 1

"We are all tired, that is why we are making mistakes."

Galadan frowns as he also looks up at the sky.

"I can only hope that we will not make such mistakes in combat."


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

Wren wonders why they choose to continue, but will reload his crossbow nonetheless and prepare to join them.

Grand Lodge

You work your back back where you entered the village. A young boy blocks your way.

Initiative:

Galadan 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 
Kevin  1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Wren  1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 
Andrea  1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Nym  1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 
Aldous  1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Allen   1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Male Elf (Current Health 25 / 28) Inquisitor of Pharasma 4 / Urban Ranger (Falconer) 1

If this is a wraithspawn, Galadan charges again.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 for 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

"Pharasma forgive me if this causes you pain." he says through gritted teeth.

Grand Lodge

Indeed - the boy looks like the two girls you met earlier.


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

Round 1, Init 18

On her turn, Wren will draw and load her crossbow.

I can't do much. Maybe I'll cheer. My friends just love hearing my voice.


Kevin frowns and readies his axe.
Come get some.

Power attack 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Damage 1d6 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 4 = 13


Make that a charge and add +2 to hit please

Grand Lodge

The boy gets hit by both Kevin and Galadan - but hits back.

Target
Kevin 1, Galadan 2
1d2 ⇒ 2

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 3
Con Drain 1d2 ⇒ 2 Fort DC15

The wraith spawn seems to flail widely and uncoordinated - but Galadans charge let's him charge nearly through the boy - making him a simple target.

Down -18 HP


'Aldous' steps up, and gingerly touches Kevin's shoulder, filling his mind with giddy, insane whispering, which urges him to attack the wraith...

Guidance.


Power attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Damage 1d6 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 4 = 12


Male Elf (Current Health 25 / 28) Inquisitor of Pharasma 4 / Urban Ranger (Falconer) 1

Fortitude Save
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Does that half the damage or avoid it completely?

Grand Lodge

The save negates the CON drain - it has no effect on the damage - but I doubt that matters.


Female Human (Mixed race) Hedge Witch 5 (favoured class)

"Three left" Andrea states bluntly.."Three poor children to lay to rest and then we go for their Master."

She hands out vials of holy water to Nym and Wren..

"Save these for the Master Wraith..the power of Desna still holds true in the water and it will burn his foul spirit""

Grand Lodge

Sorry forums understanding - the Spawn seems still find and kicking. The down -18 was just for myself to keep track. Should have used different language.


Did you take my second attack:

Kevin wrote:

Power attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Damage 1d6 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 4 = 12


Male Elf (Current Health 25 / 28) Inquisitor of Pharasma 4 / Urban Ranger (Falconer) 1

On his next turn, Galadan shifts to a flanking position and strikes again with the enchanted mace.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13 for 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Grand Lodge

The young boy turns to Kevin who is hurting him so badly

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 1
Con drain 1d2 ⇒ 1 DC15 Fortitude to negate

But the young boy misses as Kevin seems to start becoming adept in avoiding them - or maybe just is lucky.

I haven't ignored you Kevin - but the spawn isn't down yet. But it won't take many more if these hits.


Sorry just wondering usually these things go down faster than panties on prom night.

Power attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage 1d6 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 4 = 8

Grand Lodge

The boy can't stand a third attack - and he goes down.


"I am glad that you have that axe, Kevin..."


Female Human (Mixed race) Hedge Witch 5 (favoured class)

Andrea moves her ward to Kevin..

That adds two to his Ac(including touch) and saves


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

Wren puts away her crossbow and draws her dagger.

The dagger is shaped like a raptor's claw reaching for prey.

I'll stab the next ghost I see.

"Come along, dearies, let's find the rest. If we're going to do this, we might as well get it over with."

Of course, we could just return and tell the court what is actually responsible here since we now know... Wren mutters to herself.


Female Human (Mixed race) Hedge Witch 5 (favoured class)

But we have no proof..that is why we need to search the Houses, there might be a record of the occurences here.


Kevin dosent bother saying anything after the last wraith falls he just stnds there breathing hard and sweating.


Male Elf (Current Health 25 / 28) Inquisitor of Pharasma 4 / Urban Ranger (Falconer) 1

"Our observations should be proof enough. There are even spells available that ensure we tell the truth."

Galadan has recovered from his endeavor and looks sadly at Kevin, who seems weaker.

"If you would like to trade off for the next attack, I shall only be too glad to strike first. As a servant of Pharasma, I wish to see that these undead be shown back to their rest."

He turns to Wren.

"I don't suppose you have any magic missiles? Force effects will damage the incorporeal."

Grand Lodge

It is getting late. There is still a far way to travel back and maybe even to chat with Stiches. And the proceedings will be soon enough. But you feel you have managed a lot.

You cleaned the Alchemist lab and got one alive. You also have lots of evidence from there. Difficult to believe that this was the same day. And while you can't take a wraith with you - at least you know that Stiches wasn't responsible here - even if he was around.

As GM - apart of 'cleaning out' there isn't too much to gain for the proceedings. I didn't check daddy wraith if he has anything interesting - but you can always come back another day to do Pharasma's duty.


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

Wren is happy to return...this is a neat mystery to be solved, but not worth the risk right now.

Wren chirps nervously as she white-fistedly holds on to her dagger, ready to begin to stab wraiths.

Galadan Teresthin wrote:
"I don't suppose you have any magic missiles? Force effects will damage the incorporeal."

Wren titters a laugh at Galadin's question.

"Would that I could Galadan...for a night's sleep, I would gladly try to make that happen..." Wren yawns, pointing her dagger in the air as she stretches, "...but it seems like forever since I last read my book and slept a night."

Ouch. Way to rub it in, Galadan. ;)


Female Human (Mixed race) Hedge Witch 5 (favoured class)

Andrea concurs..as the risks are too great and Kevin already needs restoration.

Very well back to town it is..


Kevin looks at Andrea then laughs silently, his sholders shaking. It is about time. I need to refill my flask.


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

"Come along, dearies. We don't want to be caught in this 'town' after dusk. We need to go save Stitches." Wren begins bustling back to town, still clutching her dagger.


Female Human (Mixed race) Hedge Witch 5 (favoured class)

"That was not the sort of Restoration I was thinking about you ninny.Now let's be out off this place of death before any more of those poor souls find us"

Andrea stalks off after Wren

Grand Lodge

You manage to get safely back to Lepidstadt. It is long past midnight when the tired group arrives back.

It is a short night as you want to meet up with Stiches ahead of the trial. The spellcasters seem to sleep a little bit longer - especially Wren hasn't been seen yet - she only stumbles into the rest of the party as the very last.

This is the morning of the second day of the trial. You have some 10 minutes to meet up with Stiches and the solicitor ahead of the proceedings.
Try to remember all the facts that you got together. I know it is a while - I can help if you can't get them together. But Aldous has been pretty good at this in the past.
Spells are not yet prepared. But you had enough time to sleep and Wren surely is rude enough to take out her spellbook during the trial while it is 'less exiting'. Off course - if she is more diplomatic she can do so once there is time later in the day.
Not trying to be too harsh here - just juggling time you had but not trying to nerf you.


Male Elf (Current Health 25 / 28) Inquisitor of Pharasma 4 / Urban Ranger (Falconer) 1

So we are tired, but not fatigued?

Galadan stomachs the exhaustion, and the trial for a long time, confident that they had found significant evidence over the past 24 hours to redeem Stitches of the first two accusations.

Is it a new day? i.e. do I have my judgment and teamwork feat back?


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

Wren slumps on her bed in her rented room, almost too tired to sleep.

"Well, Plumie, we're back. Now what?"

The bird does not answer.

"Sleep, Plumie? Sleep?"

The bird still remains silent.

Wren nods quietly, ceding the argument to the bird and falls to her pillow.

"You're right, Plumie, as usual. Tomorrow, we will address the court and win the freedom of Stitches. We shall talk because people *LOVE* to hear me talk and our good friend Stitches will go free." Wren lays her head on her pillow, her voice trailing off as sleep overtakes her.

"G'nigggghgghg Plummmggkaghg..."

Wracking snores rumble through the room as Wren drifts off to sleep.

* * *

Though tired, Wren wakes the next morning with a start, anxious to find a way to help Stitches.

"Plumie, wake up! Wake up! We have to save Stitches!" Wren hastily dresses and prestidigitates herself clean, then spends several moments pressing a few bent feathers back into shape.

Everyone will be so happy to see me at my best today...I know they will all be honored to have me speak on Stitches' behalf!

Wren quickly packs (including her spellbook) for the day at Court, an hurries out of the room to meet the others.

Wren walks to the Courthouse mentally preparing the words that she might speak on behalf of Stitches.

Uhm...Mr. Aldous/Andrea, this might be the time to step in and do the speaking...unless you want Wren to.(link)


Kevin limps his way back home with others.The swordsman falls into bed and quickly falls asleep. In the morning, he moves down stairs to meet the others. Eventhough he now wears his fine clothes the swords man looks horid. His clothes seem to be made for a larger man and his eyes are dark and sunkin in to their sockets. Grey can be seen in the young man's hair. This is definetly not the swordlord's best day.


Female Human (Mixed race) Hedge Witch 5 (favoured class)

Andrea's sleep is troubled..her mind filled with thoughts of the poor Children condemmed to undeath by the cruel Wraith.As she struggles with her nightmares however she seems to har a soothing female voice calming her urging her to take up the fight to destroy such creatures.She awakens with new purpose. and, sorting through the collevtion of holy symbols from the Prison selects that of Pharasma.Hanging it around her neck she heads to the court.

At the trial she will let Aldous speak .She will step in if he seems to be failing but generally will merely assist him in the presentation of the evidence.

Grand Lodge

Day 2: Court Proceedings

If anything, the crowd is larger today, and is alive with talk of yesterday's events. The clerks arrive early to prepare the courtroom, and as the time approaches 10:00 a.m., the other members of the court arrive. Today's events whip the crowd into a frenzy. They are angered at the deaths of the children, and are even louder than yesterday.

Grand Lodge

10:00 a.m.: The Trial of the Beast resumes. Chief Justice Khard asks the prosecution to outline the details of the alleged events in Hergstag.

10:30 a.m.: Witnesses for the Prosecution. The prosecution describes the events that transpired in Hergstag 7 months ago, alleging that the Beast slew six children and, when caught, was driven from the village. Otto calls three former residents of Hergstag, the sisters Garrow, Starle, and Flicht, to give their eyewitness testimony of events in the village.

12:30 p.m.: Witnesses for the Defense. Gustav calls the PCs to present any evidence they found in Hergstag.


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

Andrea, Mr. Aldous doesn't seem to be stepping up. It's yours if you want it. If not, Wren will 'take' it. I'm sure Wren won't cause any problems at all. :)

Wren walks into the courthouse and awaits their turn to present evidence while holding her spellbook on her lap, trying to quickly learn her spells in between listening to the court drama.

I wonder if I should interrupt here. I'm sure the judge would appreciate me correcting him on some things he's doing wrong. People love it when I help them do their jobs!


Male 'Human' Summoner (Synthesist) 5

Okay... So, just to make sure I have everything in order, regarding Hergstag, we know the following:

1)'Stitches' is physically incapable of crying, and appears to be laughing whenever he tries to cry.

2)All of the children appear to have killed by 'Brother Swarm', and animated as wraithspawn.

In terms of extraordinary evidence, relating to the previous day's proceedings, we have:

An alchemist's confession, plus a book detailing their 'business practices' (body-snatching, mostly), but also linking them with Dr Brada of Karb Isle, where there was an arson attack that was also blamed on 'The Beast'.

Scars on Vorkstag's body, congruent with a Caiman attack, which is what the villagers had noted 'The Beast' was attacked by.

A cabinet of skinned faces, which were used as disguises (by the Skin Stealer, Vorkstag), including the disguise used to impersonate 'The Beast' in Morast.

Am I missing anything?


Stats:
HP 13/13; AC 13/13/10;F1,R3,W4;Appr8/Arc9/Hist8/Loc8/Nat9/Pln8/Rel9/Ling8/Spell9; Perc +3
Elf FeatherMage

We have the alchemist and the body of the flesh golem doggie. If you want Wren to take the stand to arcanically explain the magics involved in that creation and how they are tied to Stitches' creation, she is happy to help.


Male 'Human' Summoner (Synthesist) 5

*shudders at the mental image of what Wren would do to the court room*

OOC, I have no problem with that (sharing the 'spotlight', and all), but IC, I think that would be a terrible idea - Wren's skill at public speaking lies somewhere in the general vicinity of 'Abysmal' ;-)


Aww, I think Wren is an excellent public speaker. Not a person has fallen asleep yet. Burst into flaimes, yes but not fallen asleep.

Grand Lodge

Are you waiting for me? I'm waiting for the evidence.
Please add a diplomacy roll with each piece of evidence.


Male 'Human' Summoner (Synthesist) 5

I was waiting to see if anyone wanted to chime-in with something that I had missed, but I am happy to move on!

I am about to head off to work, but I will post something when I get the chance later today :-)


Male 'Human' Summoner (Synthesist) 5

Aldous awakes, feeling remarkably refreshed; the events of the past day seeming almost to have been a dream...

...still, there was a faint, niggling memory of pain, which he buried as he joined the others for breakfast.

Aldous ate in silence, unable to meet the eyes of his compatriots.

What must they think of me?

Still, when the time came to present evidence, he managed to smooth down his clothing, doing his best to look decent, respectable, and above all, trustworthy.

When the time comes to speak, he rises with alacrity, and begins:

"Esteemed justices, and other members of the court, we have additional evidence to prevent on behalf of 'The Beast'.

'The Beast' stands accused of the murders of six children from Hergstag, on the strength of the fact that it came into the village, carrying the body of Ellsa, and apparently 'laughing'.

However, what needs to be understood is that 'The Beast' was not laughing, it was in fact crying; but because of the fact that it is a creature formed through magic, it is unable to physically shed tears, and because of the scar tissue around its face, a rictus of pain appears to be a grin."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (7) + 19 = 26.

"Moreover, when we investigated the village, we discovered it to be abandoned by the living, but still inhabited by the unquiet dead - we encountered the spirits of three of the children, who had risen as wraith spawn. Fortunately, we were able to return all three to Pharasma's embrace, but they kept calling out for a 'Brother Swarm'... Now, according to my esteemed colleague, an Inquisitor of Pharasma," Aldous nods to Galadan, "wraith spawn are formed when someone is killed by a fully-fledged wraith, thus, it is reasonable to assume that this 'Brother Swarm' is probably such a creature, and that he is the one who actually killed them; certainly, 'The Beast' could not be responsible - he is clearly a corporeal being, and no wraith."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (18) + 19 = 37.

"Although it is a separate matter, I would urge the Court to allow us, once this trial is completed, to conduct a more thorough search of the village - if the other three children are in a tormented state of undeath, they must be allowed to rest, and this 'Brother Swarm' must be destroyed!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (15) + 19 = 34.

Aldous pauses, to allow that he has said to sink in.

"Additionally, we have come across additional evidence linked with yesterday's proceedings, and potentially linked with those of tomorrow."

"You will recall that yesterday, we presented evidence from Morast, which included a face... a face that had been carefully removed for use as a mask. Along with that mask, we discovered a set of surgical tools," (Aldous motions for the tools to be brought forth) "with a unique identifying mark upon them; we were able to trace ownership of the tools to Vorkstag, of 'Vorkstag and Grine's Chymic Works'."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (5) + 19 = 24.

"When we investigated, we discovered that nothing there was as it seemed, and none of the residents were remotely human; the 'guard animal', if you can call it that, was a golem in the shape of a hound, constructed from stitched flesh; the workers were Mongrelmen, and the owners were far from human - according to my colleague," Aldous nods to Andrea, "Grine was a 'Dark Stalker', a Darklands humanoid with the ability to create Darkness in the brightest light, who exploded when we attempted to subdue him. Vorkstag, too, was... less than human... he turned out to be a sadistic Fey creature known as a 'Skin Stealer'; naturally skinless, they are able to disguise themselves as other creatures, by wearing the stolen skins of their victims. Fortunately, we were able to bring him into custody."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28.

"He confessed to being the one to loot the bodies from the cemetery in Morast, and to trying to frame 'The Beast', citing the fact that the bodies there were remarkably well preserved, and that there were people here who would pay handsomely for well-preserved body parts. This trade is quite substantial; investigating the downstairs storage, we discovered a large subterranean chamber, filled with chilled bodies, assorted body parts from exotic creatures, and a ledger, detailing all of their business deals... and one of those regular contacts was a Dr Brada, of Karb Isle, who is connected with tomorrow's proceedings."

With a flourish, Aldous produces the ledger.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20.

"Vorkstag's story is further corroborated by the fact that he has scars consistent with a Caiman attack... and a Caiman was the creature identified as the one to 'take down' 'The Beast' in Morast."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (18) + 19 = 37.

"Finally, we have... this. I warn you, it is quite foul."

Aldous gestures for two sturdy attendents to man-handle an ominous-looking cabinet into the courtroom.

"Inside this cabinet are nearly a score of human skins, used by Vorkstag to impersonate a range of people over the years. Apart from being evidence of truly heinous practices, of more immediate relevence to this trial is that one of those skins is the disguise used to impersonate 'The Beast' in Morast."

Aldous strides across the floor of the courtroom, and opens the cabient to reveal the gory contents.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28.

"That is all of the evidence that we have to present today."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (7) + 19 = 26.

That took a little while to compile ;-)


[Ooc]Nicely done[\ooc]

1,351 to 1,400 of 2,256 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Thod runs Carrion Crown - Trial of the Beast All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.