Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Silbeg's PFS: Eyes of the Ten

Game Master GM..Silbeg

Currently in Red Revolution

Chronicles


1 to 50 of 1,337 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

With some helpful scrying and other magics, you are able to trace Lord Higgenstrom III to where he teleported to. However, he’s nowhere to be found. Instead, there’s just two notes on the table.

Lord Higgenstrom’s Note:

Ah good – I was hoping you would be resourceful enough to get here. Don’t feel bad – I’ve been trying out one of those new Ruse spells detailed in the latest Pathfinder Chronicle. It seems to be working like a charm.

The Ten asked me to deliver the four of you a message. This room, deep below the Flaxseed Lodge should be a safe place to read it. The Pale Maiden is in room 308 in Skyreach. Careful, the room is covered in a mirage arcana to make it look like someone is trying to negotiate with an inevitable. It’s all fake though.

Have fun. Don’t die.

The paper is signed at the bottom with a picture of a man riding a lion.

The Other Note:

Link to the other note. – Text is repeated below for your convenience.

Orders from the Decemvirate

Personal Instructions from the Inner Circle of the Pathfinder Society

This crisp note, delivered personally to each of you by courier, bears the official rune of the Decemvirate, the anonymous, masked ruling order of the Pathfinder Society. The Ten have rarely taken notice of your efforts to date, but their reliance upon you is a sign of your growing influence in the organization.

The orders command you and a team of hand-chosen fellow Pathfinders to escort the famous longsword Pale Maiden, blade of the legendary early Pathfinder Durvin Gest, to the newly reestablished Pathfinder Lodge in the city of Woodsedge, in Revolution-wracked Galt. The Decemvirate wishes to entrust the sword to the Lady of the Lodge, Venture-Captain Eliza Petulengro. You are to escort the Pale Maiden from Absalom to Galt and ensure that the weapon arrives safely.

So, you guys are currently in Cassomir. You need to get to Absalom, pick up the Pale Maiden, and get to Woodsedge. So Seekers, what’s your plan?

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18

.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

"Huh, a simple escort mission. A mighty odd request I think."

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

"So... Higgenstrom... you would attempt such petty tricks on me, would you?," Ralph whispers coldly at the absent mage. His eyes narrow with annoyance as he begins to read the second missive, but his facial expression relaxes as he finishes. "Normally there would be swift reprisals... but fortunately for you your second missive puts me in a good mood."

He hands the second note to anyone else who wants to read it (which would be the next person to post).

"It seems the Decemvirate has finally taken note of our abilities. With this, my aim of succeeding Aram Zey as the Master of Spells is one step closer. Let us see to this task quickly then! Lavode, I trust you remember from our relatively-recent infiltration of the World Wound how I like to handle such tasks. I will transport us to the Grand Lodge in Absalom, where we will retrieve the blade. I will then provide us with a heroes' feast - as in the spell - after which we will rest while I re-prepare my spells. Once that is done, I will teleport us again, this time to the Woodsedge Lodge. In 9 hours, the blade will be transported to Woodsedge, far swifter than it would take to transport the blade by mundane transport, and we will be amply prepared for whatever other tasks or hazards await us upon arrival. Koraq, you should know by now, the escort mission is only going to be the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There will surely be more awaiting us when we arrive."

With this we will each have the benefit of a heroes' feast spell for the first 4 hours upon arriving at the Woodsedge lodge. We will also each have the benefit of a life bubble spell for the first 4 hours. I may also be able to other extended buffs that will last well into the next day if needed. Hmm... will our two warriors please list their best weapon and armor. I can give one of you lucky blaggards an extended CL16 magic vestment or greater magic weapon. Subtracting the time taken for me to regain my spells, you will still have it for 24 hours from the time we arrive at the Woodsedge Lodge.

When Ralph finishes explaining his intended preparations to his new party members, he adds with a confident smile. "I trust there will be no complaints."

I should add that I roleplay Ralph as a supremely confident and somewhat arrogant fellow with a superiority complex that comes form his magical prowess. This does not reflect my actual attitudes as a player and my out-of-character speech will have a much more moderate and respectful tone.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

"Sure; 'lefty' and 'righty', Koraq raising both of his arms in a muscleman pose.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

"I see..." Ralph replies slowly with all the enthusiasm of a graveyard.

I just checked the character profiles. Looks like Geatan has a +5 weapon and is a ranged warrior, so Koraq will be getting the buffs. I can offer the following if we follow my plan:

After telepoprting to Absalom, I will use use 1 use of my spell study class ability to cast Heroes feat on all of us. We will then rest for me to regain my spells, and have another 4 hours of the duration left the next day when I teleport us again.

Before resting, I will also cast the following:
Extended Mage armor (Ralph), lasts 16 hours more after rest
Extended Mage Armor (Koraq), lasts 16 hours more after rest (using my pearl of power)
Extended Greater Magic Fang (Koraq), boosted to CL16 using my focused spell class ability, lasts 24 hours more after rest (this uses my second use of spell study for the day)
Extended CL16 Life Bubble, (duration split among 4 of us), lasts for 8 hours after resting for each person
Extended Overland Flight (Ralph), lasts 16 hours more after rest
Extended Phantom Steed (Anyone who wants it), lasts 16 hours more after rest

And then we rest and I begin the day with all the above buffs and all my spells back, less 1 teleport which I will use to get us to the Woodsedge Lodge. =)

GM: Can I roll a knowledge check to know where the Woodsedge Lodge is, equivalent to having seen it once. If not, I will use my bonded item to cast sending to Eliza Petulengro seeking her permission to cast scry on her in an hour's time so I can see the Woodsedge Lodge to facilitate teleporting us and the sword to her. If she does not give her consent (the sending spell allows her to reply), I will roll a knowledge check to find the identity of one of the menial servants or novice warrior-type Pathfinder agents at the Woodsedge Lodge and try to scry on that person instead. With this plan, what rolls if any do you want me to make to find out the location of the Woodsedge Lodge?

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

@Ralph: I'd hug you, and with my grapple check, I'd succeed :)

"Heh, well thanks there fella. I was gonna take care of my own, but if yours last til we sleep, I'll take it. Although what you're offering my fists... I pity the fool that makes me use 'em. And thanks for the meal, too.", the wise street-tough knowing enough to respect a good meal, and those who offer it.

Sovereign Court

No on the knowledge check for Seen Once, but you can totally send a sending to Eliza.

Eliza's response to the sending: "Scry on Adril instead. I put up anti-scrying wards on Woodsedge, but he will be waiting outside them for you. He agreed to not resist."

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18

Lavode tends to not talk a lot. He's not shy or lacking in confidence, he just prefers to watch and help quietly.

Yes Ralph, I remember. I can also help with transport over distance and have several powers that may help us for an extended period of time. If someone has a particular suggestion of a spell which would be useful, please let me know and I may be able to provide.

I now also have teleport and paragon surge can temporarily provde another spell.

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

Gaétan reads the missive. A smile is on his face. A blueish chain shirt is on him. A bow on his shoulder and his quivers contain a ton of arrow made of different material. A souvenir of his completed missions.

I see, the half-elf analyses. The weapon of the legend. I haven’t heard about it. But, just knowing who had it gives an extraordinary importance to the Society. Both in historical and identity ways. It is like my bow.
That doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like the other mission that Amonepheus gave me. At this moment, I am like a child who have been instruct by his big brother he loves so much to steal a cookie from the jar while doing chores. If I am catch, it will be impossible to explain the situation.

I will like to have the magic vestment. My armor is not magical.

And while eating the feast, Géatan exclaims:"It's like I am eating a part of the grim white stag. Thanks you!"

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

Unfortunately, I will need the third use of my spell-study ability to cast scrying on Adril Hestram in order to teleport us to the lodge, so I will not be able to provide the magic vestment to Géatan at this time. What I CAN give him however is a CL16 phantom steed to ride on to keep him out of melee. It will have a 100ft fly speed, and you appear to have enough DEX that you can ride it without needing your hands, so that should keep you out of trouble.

Lavode, I'll remember for future purposes that you are also able to cast teleport. I recommend also learning scrying so that you can teleport to locations you have not personally visited.

Having worked out the preparations with his new party, Ralph puts his plan into action, starting with the scrying on Adril Hestram to gain a mental picture of the Woodsedge Lodge. Once that is done, he proceeds to teleport the group to the Grand Lodge to collect the Pale Maiden.

teleport: 1d100 ⇒ 60 On target

After collecting the Pale Maiden, he proceeds with his plan, granting them all a sumptuous magical feast before laying the final buffs and retiring to his quarters at the Grand Lodge to rest and regain his spells. When the group reconvenes, he teleports them to the Woodsedge Lodge.

I assume if anyone needs to do anything whilst in Absalom, there will be time to arrange it? If everything goes according to plan, and there are no rail-road encounters that prevent me from teleporting directly to Woodsedge, we should be able to fast-forward to our arrival at the Woodsedge Lodge.

teleport: 1d100 ⇒ 2 On target, so only 1 teleport needed

If all the preparations go without any hiccups, I will also amend my spell list a little bit from the rest at the Grand Lodge. All changes will be made before my next post.

Sovereign Court

Upon scrying on Adril Hestram, you find him sitting on a lawn chair in front of a pair of double doors. On the ground underneath him is a giant compass rose. He’s looking around in the air for something, like one does when they hear a mosquito but can’t see one.

Ralph’s plans seem good – there is in fact nothing stopping you from teleporting straight to Woodsedge. That being said, I do want to stop real quick and give people a chance to do any other last minute shopping or preparations. Woodsedge is a town of more than 5,000 people, so you will be able to purchase things/get spellcasting services in the city. That being said, who knows how long you’re going to be in Woodsedge? <cue dramatic music>

Anyway, working on the intro for when you teleport in, and I’ll have that ready for tomorrow. If you have any last minute purchases/other business in Absalom, now is the time.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

I'm good, sorta 'spent' already goldwise :P

"For 'magic food', this stuff ain't half bad. Next time, though, could it include a couple racks of lamb?"

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

"Perhaps I can see to another such meal once this mission in its entirety is over."

I'm ready. I have only about 500gp so there's not much I can buy, unless someone wants to buy me a scroll of Cloud Kill to scribe in my spellbook.

Sovereign Court

You guys can go and pick up the Pale Maiden from Absalom. When you go and open the room Lord Higgenstrom indicated in his letter, you find a scene of two people arguing with a Kolyarut. Once the four of you step in, all 3 nod and disappear, revealing a sword where they used to be.

Pale Maiden Handout Text:

Reprinted here for your convenience.

Pale Maiden
Brand of Durvin Gest

A treasured heirloom of the Society, this finely honed whitesteel longsword bears nicks and scratches won over a career in the hands of Durvin Gest, the famous early Pathfinder who explored Lost Azlant, catalogued 31 siege castles outside the city of Absalom, and rounded the Horn of Garund some 350 years ago. Gest vanished under mysterious circumstances allegedly recounted in the Forbidden Fifth Edition of the Pathfinder Chronicles, and legend tells that he forgot this lucky sword before that disastrous event, sealing his fate. The Pale Maiden functions as a +3 longsword with the abilities of a luck blade. Alas, Durvin Gest used the blade’s wishes centuries ago.

Once you’ve recovered the Pale Maiden, buffed, and rested, everyone gathers around Ralph as he teleports to Woodsedge Lodge. His scrying helps him guide you to the correct lodge, and soon you see yourselves standing in front of what was once a luxurious manor house. It is marred by cracked plaster, missing windows, and rotting shingles, but a well-groomed topiary hints at a building coming back from a near-death encounter with Revolution and abandonment.

As you rematerialize into being, the huge doors of the Woodsedge Lodge open with a slow creak. A tall bulky figure takes form in the gloom within, emerging into the sunlight with a gap-toothed smile and a bushy blond beard. It’s your old venture-captain from Absalom, Adril Hestram!

Basic Info about Adril Hestram, from Seeker of Secrets:

A monstrously big man of mixed descent, Adril Hestram’s blubbery bulk hides massive muscles. He claims to have come from the north, but remains unspecific about his homeland. Though his face is worn and bedraggled, his eyes still glimmer, and he retains an easy, gap-toothed smile behind a tousled beard. Aside from adventuring, Adril likes to drink and arm-wrestle, in that order. An able warrior and veteran of countless dungeon delves, he’s the most prominent venture-captain concerned with exploring the various siege castles beyond Absalom’s gates.

Every year, Adril takes a handful of favorite Pathfinder initiates under his wing, and sometimes escorts them to interesting local sites, though never anything overly dangerous. Some Pathfinders suggest that he has inappropriate relationships with his more attractive protégés, but even if that is so, there have been no complaints from the initiates involved.

To add a bit to this, he was used a lot in Seasons 0 and 1 as kind of a “generic” venture-captain, basically when they needed to send you off from Absalom and didn’t have a specific other venture-captain in mind. He hasn’t been used much in recent stuff though.

Koraq Dragonclaw:
You’ll recognize Adril as the one who sent you on Frozen Fingers of Midnight. He asked you to help save his friend from a horrible curse where he was basically being frozen from the inside-out. Depending on what you did during that scenario there might have been a lot of death or there might have been a happy, romantic ending.

Géatan Émond:
You'll recognize Adril as the one who sent you on Murder on the Silken Caravan. That was the one where you were trying to carry a body to its final resting place across the desert. However, probably more famous than that was the harpies. Oh dear, the harpies.

Looking over your lists, I don't think anyone else has been part of a mission assigned by Adril Hestram - although you've all probably heard of him/interacted with him during your time at the Grand Lodge, especially when you were new recruits.

The huge man chuckles with a belly laugh at the sight of you. “I was wondering who they would send! The Ten choose wisely, of course! You did receive your orders to come here from the Decemvirate themselves, didn’t you? The servants are clucking that you bear the Pale Maiden. Is it true? May I wield the blade?”

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

Before we go.[ooc]

Gaétan goes to his local farmer where he receive a bag of seed. Galt is in a sort of perpetual war. Surely, the earth need some crops to be seeded in. He ponder he is gonna buy this scroll of Deathcloud... but he don't like the name of it. Surely the spell they have would protect them. But as archer and a lover of simple life, He doesn't like the idea of a spell that stop him to shot and kill all lesser being. He also wield for a few moment the pale blade before putting in the handy haversack of Koraq.

[ooc]Return in the game.

Our Mission is to deliver it into the hand of Elisa. You will wield it if see accept this. Sorry.says Géatan.

The family before the friend. You will have problem if something happen. he thinks also.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

Ralph nods in agreement with Geatan.

"As a venture captain, I trust you understand, there are proper channels for such requests. It is not for us to grant that privilege, and we must see to our orders first. But come with us and you can ask Eliza Petulengro yourself. My magic has brought us and the sword here days before it would otherwise have reached, so even with this small delay, you have the chance of wielding the sword long before you would otherwise be able to."

I was joking about the scroll. Don't worry about it. I have enough spell options as it is.

Active buffs:

Everyone:
Heroes' feast (CL12) - 4 hours
Life Bubble (CL16) - 8 hours

Ralph:
Overland Flight (CL12) - 16 hours
Mage Armor (CL12) - 16 hours

Koraq:
Mage Armor (CL12) - 16 hours
Greater Magic Fang (CL16) - 24 hours

First person who calls for it:
Phantom Steed (CL12) - 16 hours

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

GM:

We actually played nice and let Natalya go and saved Skeld.

Koraq is about to chme in before Geatan and Ralph chip in. The half-orc shrugs. "Sorry, Cap'n. But I'd be up for arm-wrestling ya again. Been a while since we last challenged and I'm stronger an more experienced this time 'round."

Sovereign Court

Adril chuckles. ”Guess, the Ten did send the right people for this job. All about procedure. Fair enough, I’ll talk to Eliza when we get in.

“Speaking about the ten, you’re not the only one they sent here”, says Adril, pulling out a letter bearing similar marks and seals to the one you received from the Ten. “They won’t say why we’ve all been called here, but it’s obvious the Pale Maiden is just a cover story. I’ve been… studying up on the Ten. I think I’m about to be promoted into their ranks. It was only a matter of time. My guess is that you’re here to represent my efforts as a venture-captain. I’ve no doubt you’ll make a very convincing argument for my promotion.

“Things will change between us if this happens. You’ve always been honest, dependable agents for me, so I’m telling you while I still can. After it happens, we will all be sworn to utter secrecy, for the identities of the Ten are the most treasured secrets of the Pathfinder Society. For now, though, I want you to know that I trust you implicitly, and I hope that you trust me. Once I have been made one of the Ten, even if we can no longer discuss it openly, I want you to know that I will always do what is right by you.”

”That being said, let’s not keep Eliza waiting!” And with that, Adril strides forth into the lodge.

---------------------------------------------

Adril Hestram leads you inside the Woodsedge Lodge. The filigreed front doors open into a spacious great room with an enormous fireplace against the opposite wall. Elegant upholstered chairs and couches scattered about the chamber present an inviting, luxurious atmosphere, as if the whole place had been designed for fashionable lounging. A sweeping stair beside the fireplace leads to the balconies of the mansion’s second floor, which look down upon the room as if it were a stage. A scuffed and oddly stained red carpet runs down the center of the stair, showing that work yet remains to restore the Woodsedge Lodge to its former glory. Some elements, like the threadbare stuffed owlbear in one corner, hint more at the past than the future, but things are coming along.

Adril leads on to the west, through a fine wooden door and into a wood-paneled corridor rich with the smell of fresh onions and simmering meat stew. The passage continues several feet to the north, with doors leading to chambers beyond. Adril bounds through the southernmost doors across the hall, leading you into a richly appointed meeting room where two figures are seated at a huge oak table near several empty chairs obviously intended for you. Adril points to a male human garbed in crude leathers wearing a necklace of bird skulls.

“This here is Osprey,” he says. “Honorable fellow, a friend to all and a Society man, tall and true. His keen eyes see much among the Pathfinders that others miss, and his counsel is unparalleled in our order.”

Basic Info about Osprey, from Seeker of Secrets:

Named for his penchant for shifting into a dark-eyed bird of prey, this enigmatic Chelaxian appears as a frequent fixture in the port of Diobel. While it may be assumed Osprey executes his own tasks for the Society, he is most often encountered disseminating assignments to other Pathfinders. Still, many question whether the missions he appoints come from some shadowed venture-captain, or from his own unfathomable objectives.

Rumor persists that Osprey possesses an extensive report that no one else has ever seen. He has sworn to release it to the Decemvirate before his death, which he believes will coincide with the next passing of a comet under whose auspices he was born. Still, he has leaked enough crucial information from his “lost chronicle” to the Society to prove the validity and value of the tome, despite any official annoyance with his pretentious manner and refusal to surrender it before his death.

It looks like none of you have been on a mission that was sent off by Osprey before – you may have heard rumors about him before but he’s not one for hanging out with Pathfinders.

Adril turns to the gorgeous red-haired woman sitting at the head of the table, her pale face a marble bust of confidence and control.

“And this,” he says, his cheeks taking on a touch of red and his mouth curving into a lecherous grin, “is Venture-Captain Eliza Petulengro, the Lady of the Lodge.”

Basic Info about Eliza, from Seeker of Secrets:

Absalom’s newest venture-captain*, Eliza Petulengro hails from war-torn Galt. Though she escaped the madness there as a child, she’s a firebrand at heart, and longs to return to the country of her birth and help restore the lodge at Woodsedge to its former glory. For the time being, however, she understands that her talents are better suited to helping with the Grand Lodge’s administration, in particular managing its legion of librarians and making sure the various tomes and reports acquired by the Society can be quickly located.

Eliza is a talented diviner with a photographic memory for text, names, and faces. Soft-spoken and polite, she has a pleasant habit of calling initiates by name even after meeting them only once. Though she appears bookish, this is just a façade to deter suitors and keep her affairs private; lodge gossip has it that she is actually courting another venture-captain to be her spouse, as well as a partner willing to venture back into Galt and help rebuild Woodsedge.

* I don’t think that this is true anymore, but was true when Seeker of Secrets was written, so 7 years ago. I feel like someone got promoted in between now and then, but can’t quite put my finger on who.

It looks like none of you have been on a mission with Eliza before either. She’s been around the Grand Lodge a lot up until about 3 months ago in-game, so you’ve probably interacted with her in passing for jobs with other VCs.

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

Gaétan remembers Osprey when he was the mission's giver for a demon problem. He didn't like all this secrecy.

If the "special mission" of the decemverate is to be found a new member. We would need to know what does a ten.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

Ralph looks impassively at the Seeker and Venture Captain, having heard of them by repute (actually I never heard of Petulengro before but I assume Ralph has) but never having actually met them until now. He notes Hestram's lascivious attention at Petulengro and floats off the ground a little to subtly distance himself from the man as he utters a simple cantrip that brings forth the sword and causes it to float in the air before Eliza, waiting to be grasped by her.

Longsword weights 4lb, mage hand can lift up to 5lb, so Rlaph can do this with just the cantrip. Ralph would be flying about 1ft off the ground so that he looks down upon the rest of the assemblage, enough to flaunt his power but not so much that it becomes awkward or uncomfortable to see him. He's just going for style-points here.

"Greetings to you both. Ralph Cauthorn. With me are Géatan Émond, Koraq Dragonclaw and Lavode De'Morcaine," he says politely as he indicates each of their group whilst naming them. "I apologise if we are early. I had assumed Higgenstrom wanted me for this task because he wanted it done quickly."

He considers Adril Hestram's speculation and the fact that their mission was completed so quickly for a brief second before adding, "but for such a simple delivery, I alone would have sufficed, yet all 4... 5 of us have been called here. The inescapable conclusion then is that there is something more that you require from us. Something that requires a full team of Seekers. Am I wrong?"

He smiles faintly as he awaits their response to his deduction.

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18

Lavode pretty much has Ant Haul and Mage Armor up all the time since they last most of the day and he never uses up all of his first level spells. If any of you want either spell, just let me know.

I really do understand there is often a need for secrecy, but it is rather difficult to provide assistance without any information.
...
Of course if we are incorrect and it is just a simple delivery we can be on our way within moments.

Sovereign Court

First thing to note – there’s now a map available. Once you log in I can give you control over your token. We’ll only be using it as a convenient map, otherwise everything else should be done in here as normal.

Also, I apologize for the ridiculous amount of box text. They decided to be a little dramatic about the beginning of this and I’m still kinda feeling out how to break it up appropriately for PbP.

Lastly, you can’t use mage hand on magic items, so that won’t work for passing the Pale Maiden over.

“You have my most sincere thanks for safely delivering the Pale Maiden to me,” Eliza says with a proud smile. “Your quick arrival means that we don’t need to sit around wasting time. This is good! One of my servants will bring the Pale Maiden to the lodge’s armory, where it will be kept safe to honor the responsibility granted to me by the Decemvirate.”

As she speaks, several human servants wearing elaborate dresses and fashionable suits bustle in and out of the kitchen through the north doors, delivering delicate flutes of bubbling wine, plates of fresh fruits, and platters of manicured finger-foods. Each of the servants wears a featureless white porcelain mask, obscuring his or her face completely. Each servant also wears a thin red ribbon around the neck. Eliza catches one of you looking at the ribbon, and her face takes on a serious cast.

“The ribbons represent the guillotine. The Final Blades that sing the song of Revolution and cut the heads from patriots. Each of my servants has lost a beloved one to the Mob. They wear the masks for their own protection. They are safe here in the Lodge. I know their identities, but it is critical that the rabble and the Mob do not identify them as servants of the Society. We are still not fully trusted here, after all, and although the people will not strike out against me, they may very well snatch one of my servants on their return home from a day’s work. I’m sure you understand.

“My homeland of Galt has lost much in this endless Revolution, and even the streets are dangerous. You were smart to have teleported here, but I am sure you could have handled yourselves had you run into trouble while taking a more terrestrial route.

“Of course,” Eliza says, “I’m sure you’ve figured out by now that delivering the Pale Maiden was merely a pretext to get you to the Woodsedge Lodge. You are here for something far more important than a courier mission. For tonight, the Lodge will be host to a Talespinning, one of the most important ceremonies known to the Pathfinder Society. And the guest of honor is Adril Hestram!

“Now, that being said, this is my first time participating in a Talespinning, but that’s why we’ve brought one who has done one before.” With that, Eliza nods to Osprey, who stands.

“Each of you has been chosen,” Osprey says in his shrill voice “for your previous interactions with Adril. It is said that the way to measure a venture-captain is by the agents he keeps near him. During the Talespinning coming up, I am going to ask each of you to tell a story about your time in the Society that exemplifies both your ability and the things you’ve learned from your past mentors. This will be taking place in the Foyer in one hour.”
”In the meantime,” Eliza interjects ”my servants will show you to your rooms for tonight. I’m afraid I have but 3 rooms to offer at the present moment, but I’m sure you’ll make do.” With that, the servants pick up any gear you’ve let go of and will show you to your rooms on the second floor.

As you’re being shown to your rooms, the servants point out various different rooms in the house. These are all marked on the map.

You have an hour. What do you do?

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

Knowing the identity of the servant, Gaétan is stunned.

"Wa..wa Wait, Miss Pentulango! Are... " he starts saying aggressively.

The archer takes a big breath and calm down.

"Sorry, When you are saying that all of your servant had in their family someone lynched by the "mob". I am afraid. I am convinced that by inventing "people with bad reputation among the folk. » you have invited trouble in the house.

Galt is not my hometown but has an outsider and a new-born Erastilian, I think, they are a people who have lost their ways.

It's like they are all orphan. No family, No benevolent elder to guide them. They're no faith in each other that is needed to create a community. They fear more the imaginary Cheliax traitor than the wellbeing of those they love or how to survive the next winter.

Even here, I see that distrust in this house. You know each one but they don't. It would be easy for a vigilante to take a mask and snoop around when you are not here or don't see him.

The message will pass to this Mob and all of our past and future work will collapse into nothing. If our souls do not live in those blade."

Gaétan sighs.

"I am going to plant some seed.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility
GM Mars wrote:
“Each of you has been chosen,” Osprey says in his shrill voice “for your previous interactions with Adril. It is said that the way to measure a venture-captain is by the agents he keeps near him. During the Talespinning coming up, I am going to ask each of you to tell a story about your time in the Society that exemplifies both your ability and the things you’ve learned from your past mentors. This will be taking place in the Foyer in one hour.”

There's a potential plot-hole here. I don't think Ralph has had any contact with Adril Hestram in any of his scenarios or modules. What works best for plot-consistency? Should I act as if I had been sent on some other missions by him, or is the plot robust enough for me to say I have not had much contact with him?

Good point about mage hand. It's been a long time since I had to pay attention to details about cantrips. Would the weight include a scabbard? If the scabbard was non-magical, I could use that as the target of the mage hand instead. If not, one of us would have just handed the sword over then. It was mainly for cosmetic purposes anyway.

The map link looks like it leads to the wrong one since we have not been introduced to any sphinx named "Andrexiel", or anyone by the name of Ferocleu or Valicia Narikolopolus.

Sovereign Court

I'll deal with the rest of this in the morning, but I copied a map from a different scenario into the Roll20 campaign. That was dumb. It is now fixed.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

GM:

Osprey is in Hall of Drunken Heroes, which is Koraq's last chronicle, albeit GM credit. If it's like how my local players view him, Koraq probably doesn't have the best opinion of Osprey, but grudgingly has to respect him.

"Make sure to use protection.", the unsavory half-orc calls to Geatan.

More GM:

During his break, Koraq will find his room, then casually look around for Beaky to appease his foppish taskmaster. He will begin in the entrance hall (if the map is to be believed in the Great Room) and then look in studies and office.

Perception if needed: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29

Sovereign Court

Re Gaétan:
Eliza listens to Gaétan’s concerns, bearing no expression on her face.

”Of course, when circumstances require people to hide their identity, we must be vigilant in order to maintain our security,” she says. ”However, as a native of Galt, one thing that I learned is that our country is goverened by irrational fear. The Mob points this irrational fear in random directions, and whoever the Mob points to generally doesn’t survive long.

“There are two ways to survive this random force of hate. The first is to keep your head down and never get noticed. I very much doubt we’ll be able to do that. We do have an unfortunate tendency to make waves, whether we intend to or not. The second is to treat the citizens of Galt with compassion, and show that no matter who is in charge or who is disfavored, we are here for the citizens of Galt, empowering them and making sure that their quality of life is better.

“And who needs that compassion more than those who have already lost a member to the Final Blades? They are the ones who are shunned by their peers. They are the ones who have trouble keeping jobs. They are the ones who starve at night for crimes that they didn’t commit or for crimes that shouldn’t be crimes. Help those in greatest need.

“And really, when it comes to trying to make a community, is there really a more Erastilian* thing to do?” Eliza smiles at Gaétan.

”Oh, and by the way,” she adds as an afterthought, ”if that ‘planting a seed’ speech is not a metaphor – please be careful about the hedge maze in the back. We’ve been cultivating it in a special way and I prefer that anyone who’s not my staff not mess with it for now.”

Sense Motive DC 18 (for the first part of what Eliza says):
Eliza honestly believes everything she says. Osprey on the other hand, makes a face indicating that he’s had a similar argument with Eliza and also not gotten far.

Sense Motive DC 18 (for the last paragraph):
While what Eliza is saying is true, there are other reasons she doesn’t want you to go into the hedge maze.

*: Is that how you spell that word?

---------------------------------------

Re: Ralph

Yeah, so unfortunately this is a side effect of the time that this was printed. If you played this closer to when it actually came out, it was next to impossible for that to be the case. Adril Hestram was the mission briefer for _so_ many scenarios, but it’s all season 0 & 1 stuff. This is really only going to be a problem for the Talespinning. We’re going to assume that you had some interaction with him in the past. He would often take new recruits out exploring the different ruined siege castles around Absalom (in a Trial By Machine style, but without the horrific catastrophes of that scenario) as kind of an intro to dungeon delving.

And just to note for everyone – it’s not necessary to pick a scenario that Adril sent you on. Osprey just wants to hear any one of your stories. It’ll be a little more explicit later, but the idea is that if you were a student of Adril at some point, then your successes as an agent speak to his successes as a teacher.

And sure, there was a scabbard. Why not? I’m not too worried about it – just didn’t want to set an unfortunate precedent.

----------------------------------------------

For Koraq

Re: Opsrey:
Yup, just missed that one when looking over your scenario list.

The other spoiler:
He’s in the main hall, as indicated both by the map and the box text of Adril leading you in. Threadbare as ever but totally a stuffed owlbear.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

While everyone is preoccupied during preparations, Koraq...

GM:

Koraq will take a bit of Beaky fir; I'm sure he's strong enough to do so carefully. :)

Stealth if necessary: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

Sovereign Court

Koraq:
None of the staff seem to notice you take the bit of fur from Beaky.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

GM:

That outta appease Baron Foppy Dalsine... I swear, someone outta cut his head off for requesting such a silly task.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

"Yes, one should make sure that a stronghold such as this is secure," Ralph mutters. "Well then, if the hour is our's, I hope you do not mind if we take a look around," he says with a courteous bow, then opens the door to the conference room, activates his ring of invisibility and flies out.

GM:

Ralph spends his free hour trying to see if he might find signs of a hidden entrance to any lower network of tunnels at the Lodge. He starts with the courtyard at the back, though he is careful to avoid the hedge maze for now, out of respect for the Venture Captain. If he finds nothing, he will move on to the battleground and armory in that order, and then south to the library.

He is careful and methodical through his search, but does not spend too much time at each location. Take 10 at each location for 27.

Active buffs:
Heroes' feast (CL12) - 4 hours
Life Bubble (CL16) - 8 hours
Overland Flight (CL12) - 16 hours
Mage Armor (CL12) - 16 hours
Phantom Steed (CL12) - 16 hours
Heightened Awareness (CL12) - 4 hours

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

Gaétan listens to Elisa.
dont have a rank in sense motive.. help is needed.: 1d20 ⇒ 17
same thing: 1d20 ⇒ 10

[b]"Your wisdom honor you. Venture-captain Eliza. You are mending the bond of each with the most respect and effort possible in those circonstance.

I was serious about those seeds. Each day, i am honoring the god, by planting apple tree seed. In time, it will grow and bring food to all.

It was more at the moment to channel my frustration, but now, until the hour is completed. I will explore, report and cooperate.

And Gaétan walks out ,exploring the manor.

-Posted with Wayfinder

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

dm:
i am gonna search for the tablet.

-Posted with Wayfinder

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18

Seems like it would be difficult to coordinate preparations with all the staff in masks. {shrug} But that is your business. Mine is security.
.
A few questions mine host. How long until you expect guest to begin arriving for the tale spinning? What number of guests are you expecting?
.
sense motive 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
sense motive 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Lavode catches nothing within the conversation.
.
Lavode will put on his noble's outfit and jewelry to fit in with the expected crowd.

checking the local area:

Lavode will spend most of the available prep time examining the lodge and its immediate grounds. He is looking for anything out of place, likely break in points, anything out of place, anyone acting suspiciously, etc...
Detect magic with spellcraft to identify on every room and each individual person, detect poison, and detailed perception checks in every room. Anything he can't identify or understand he will bring to Ralph's attention.
He will burn up to 7 of his first level Vanish spells to listen in on any covert conversations or anyone acting suspiciously.
If you want me to make any rolls I will. But if you want them secret, that is fine.

Sovereign Court

Ralph:

Searching through the courtyard in the back turns up nothing. But when you check out the battleground you notice that the lantern can come out from the wall and that the center of the floor has a faint circle, indicating that it could probably raise or lower somehow.

------------------------------------

Gaétan:

Assuming you poke around the easily accessible rooms first, you don’t notice the tablet. (I’m assuming that you take 10 on Perception.) However, the following rooms are not easily accessible, and you may want to check them out:
Locked Library Room (the library itself is unlocked, but there is a second room inside the library that is locked)
Eliza’s Room (locked)
Adril’s Room (locked)
Servant’s Quarters (not locked, but people constantly coming in and out)

Also, note that Sense Motive adds your Wisdom modifier, so that 17 should actually be an 18 and let you get the first spoiler.

---------------------------------

Osprey looks down at Lavode. ”This is it. There are no additional guests. Unless there was perhaps a 5th person that you left behind in Absalom?”

Spoiler:

First thing to note is that there is a giant magic aura throughout the house.
Know(arcana): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
It's some sort of abjuration aura, but you're not sure what it does.

Otherwise around the house there are not as many magical auras as you would expect. One thing that helps though is that the doors are just plain wood, which means that you can detect magic through them. This is helpful, since most of the auras you’re going to be able to find are going to be in rooms you can’t easily get into.

The Library – there are a couple books with minor magical properties. You’ll recognize them from your time in the Grand Lodge libraries. Some are protected against aging or other disasters, some are enchanted to translate themselves into whatever language the reader can read, etc.
That being said, there is a second room to the library that is locked. You can detect that there are 2 magical auras inside there.

Adril’s Room – Adril’s room has 7 magical auras coming from it. It is however locked, and you can hear Adril inside.

Eliza’s Room – Eliza’s room has 15 magical auras coming from it. It is also locked, and you can hear Eliza and Osprey inside.

Some of the servants have magic auras, but they aren’t staying in one place, so it’s hard to get an accurate count on what they have.

You hear various snippets of conversation from the servants, but most of it is about getting food ready and cleaning the main hall.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

GM:
"Interesting..." Ralph mutters to himself as he searches the lantern for signs of a trap, and if he finds none, he checks again to see he is alone befor pulling on the lantern.

perception: 10 + 15 + 2 = 27

Sovereign Court

Ralph:
You find no traps on the lantern. Pulling it causes the center circle of the battleground to rise, revealing a dark, underground passage.

Scarab Sages

male Half-elf perception +22; diplomacy 11 Fighter 10 / sentinel 3 (erastil) 108/108hp 30 ac (t 18;ff 24)Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +11; +2 enchentement; . init:11 Adamantine durable arrow remaining. 10/10

Hum, i don't to do something so unpathfinder for just an order.Thinks Gaétan. I think i will need to talk to them.

-Posted with Wayfinder

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

GM:
Ralph scowls as he considers the darkness.

"As long as I remain unseen. I can extricate myself with a single spell," he mutters to himself. With that thought in mind, he continues to use his ring of invisibility to sustain his invisibility as he flies down the passage.

"Let's see how deep this rabbit-hole goes."

He goes as far as the light from the room above will allow him to. If he detects no signs of hostile creatures, he will use dancing lights to create a vaguely humanoid glowing form that flies 50ft in front of him whilst himself remaining invisible. His agenda is of course to discover if this leads to the Darklands below Galt. If he is able to confirm this, he will quickly fly back up.

Assuming he does not encounter hostiles...but if he does, well, we'll see.

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18
GM Mars wrote:

...

Osprey looks down at Lavode. ”This is it. There are no additional guests. Unless there was perhaps a 5th person that you left behind in Absalom?” ...

Mine apologies for misunderstanding. I mistook the phrase "host to a talespinning" to imply guests from without the Society.

When do you intend to have the celebration begin? Also what time is it now?

Sovereign Court

Ralph:

You’ll need to travel for a little bit, but after about 10 minutes of walking you’ll confirm that they do in fact, connect to the Darklands tunnels underneath.

--------------------------------------------

@Lavode

Osprey sneers. ”In an hour from now, more if you keep stopping me from making my preparations.”

It’s early morning still. Sounds like Ralph had you guys teleported nice and early.

--------------------------------------------

Just as a general note, there is also some discussion happening over PMs, so I’m making sure that resolves before moving on, but I imagine it won’t be too much longer out of game before we skip ahead to the Talespinning. If you don’t have a story lined up, it might be wise to start looking back at your character’s history and start thinking about something. Remember, it doesn’t necessarily have to involve Adril himself, just a big triumph of your character.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

I be ready :)

-Posted with Wayfinder

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18

I personally am not that great of a RL tale teller, even though Lavode has a really high charisma. But I will give it a shot.
I will start putting it together in the morning. Are you just wanting one example from each of us or a span of our career?

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

GM:
Satisfied that he has found what he came to look for, Ralph flies back out of the passage and seals it again before returning to prepare for the Talespinning.

Looks like it's time to move on to the next part?

Sovereign Court

Just one example from each of you, unless you can weave together a story from bits and pieces of your career.

And don't worry - in the end your character's ability at telling stories is going to be more important. It's going to end up being a Cha-based check. But how well you tell your character's story can end up either triggering reactions from the NPCs or giving you bonuses to the check.

Ralph, giving it slightly longer for the person who is doing stuff in secret to finish that up, plus I should probably post the next post when I'm mentally all here. :p

Sovereign Court

After about an hour the servants find you and ask you to make your way to the foyer for the Talespinning.
If I did everything correctly you should now have control over your characters. The test of this would be if you can move your characters over and place them in the foyer where Adril/Eliza/Osprey are.

“Fellow agents of the Pathfinder Society,” says Osprey from the balcony overlooking the Great Room. “I deliver a message from the Decemvirate. Long have the Ten observed the exploits of Venture-Captain Adril Hestram. Time and again he has served the Society well, from his own adventures in the Mwangi Expanse to the many activities conducted by agents under his guidance.”

Osprey’s scratchy voice pauses for a moment and he leers out at you. His high brow casts his dark eyes in shadow, giving him an ominous visage. He gestures to you and your companions. “That is where you come in. For tonight we celebrate the Talespinning Ceremony, and our ritual begins with each of you standing where I stand and regaling us with the story of your greatest victory as a field agent of the Pathfinder Society. We stand tonight to examine the achievements of Venture-Captain Adril Hestram, and your victories speak to his capabilities as a leader and his judgment in selecting the agents for his important missions for the Society. When we have heard from each of you, it will be Adril’s turn. After that, we shall know the way of things, and the way of the future for Adril Hestram, and perhaps also for all of you.

“Now,” he says, his mouth forming a crooked smile. “Who would like to go first?”

Osprey steps down off the balcony and stands by the stuffed owlbear.

Read this after you post your story:
At this point, I’m going to ask you to make a Diplomacy, Bluff, or Perform (oratory) check for how well you told the story. Better roleplaying will result in better bonuses to this check.

The Exchange

Male Human Spell Sage 13 | HP:93/93| AC: 16/ FF 12/ T 14 |CMD: 16| Fort: +12 Ref: +12 Will: +12 | Perception: +15| Init: +3 [|] Uses Ring of Invisibility

One of Ralph's many in-character ambitions has been to acquire the position of Master of Spells, even though I know out-of-character that it is not going to happen because of how the PFS campaign works. So before attending the talespinning, Ralph will cast Raiment of command on himself, both to enhance his appearance and on the off-chance that he gets to make an impression on the seekers and venture captains.

"If I am to make a bid for the position of Master of Spells, the approval of these individuals will no doubt prove valuable," he thinks to himself as he checks the results of his spell before heading to the foyer.

.................................Later at the Talespinning.................................

Ralph finds himself having to suppress a triumphant smile as he sees an opportunity to remind the upper echelons of the society of his greatest achievement to date. With the aid of the powerful flight spell he had cast the night before, he rises noiselessly into the air, spurning the stairs as he ascends directly to the balcony that Osprey had vacated, hovering just above the railing of the balcony as he looks imperiously upon his audience and addresses them in a commanding voice.

"Venture Captains and fellow Seekers of the Pathfinder Society. Our Society has always been primarily motivated by a desire for knowledge and discovery of ancient secrets and forgotten lore, as well as the recovery of lost artifacts. But we have never been slow to raise arms and bear spells against the evils that plague Golarion and threaten the safety of its many peoples. The largest display of this was of course our recent involvement in the Fifth Mendevian Crusade, but there was another, more salient threat that preceded it. A threat that was discovered by our Society's agents as we investigated the resurgent cult of Lissala - no less than the imminent resurrection of Krune, the Runelord of Sloth himself!"

"The re-appearance of one of the ancient Runelords of Thassilon is never a trivial matter, and our Society saw fit to send its best agents to respond to the threat. A daring expedition into the very sanctum of Krune himself, to vanquish the Runelord at his awakening before he could return to Golarion. And though I have not been sent on any missions directly by Venture-Captain Adril Hestram, I understand that it was at his personal recommendation - on the strength of the chapters of the Pathfinder Chronicles I had personally penned - that I was called to Venture-Captains Ambrus Valsin and Sheila Heidmarch for the task. The wisdom of this choice was twofold. Krune's arcane power was considerable, and best met with arcane power of equal caliber; no one knows the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of a powerful mage better than another powerful mage, and how best to exploit them. But more important still was my knowledge, and it was my knowledge that proved most instrumental in Krune's defeat. For in truth Krune's defeat was practically secured even before we finally engaged him in the heart of his sanctum. The many runes and inscribed in his sanctum were a significant source of Krune's power, and because I had the knowledge and skill to discover this, and to work out how to efficiently destroy them, we were able to greatly diminish his power before the battle itself. Moreover, the foreknowledge of his greatest tools of power allowed us to deprive him of those tools the very instant we saw him. He was forced to retreat within seconds, and we swiftly cornered him achieved what so many in ages past had failed to achieve."

"I consider this my greatest victory for two reasons. The first, obvious reason is that it was the defeat of one of the storied rulers of ancient Thassilon, a feat few could hope to achieve, and fewer still can boast about. But secondly, the victory also demonstrated the true strength and value of the Pathfinder Society. We are strong because we seek and value knowledge, and knowledge is power, for tools are only effective if one KNOWS which tool to apply and in what fashion to achieve the desired result. And by recording that knowledge and preserving it in our chronicles, we ensure that the power of knowledge is preserved and capable of being accessed for the good of all. This is our value, our gift to the people Golarion and our contribution to the advancement of the nations. And because knowledge was our most valuable weapon in defeating Krune, it vindicated all that the Pathfinder Society did and sacrificed to attain that knowledge, and by extension the very purpose of the Pathfinder Society itself in pursuing knowledge."

His speech concluded, Ralph bows briefly before lowering himself to the Great Room below.


Active buffs:
Heroes' feast (CL12) - 3 hours
Life Bubble (CL16) - 7 hours
Overland Flight (CL12) - 15 hours
Mage Armor (CL12) - 15 hours
Phantom Steed (CL12) - 15 hours
Heightened Awareness (CL12) - 3 hours
Raiment of Command (CL12) - 12 hours

GM:

While delivering his speech, Ralph will subtly call upon the power of the mantle of the black rider to enhance his speech-delivery, giving him an extra +4 on the check.

Diplomacy check: 1d20 + 1 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 1 + 5 + 4 = 29

Ralph is the Examplar of Falcon's Hollow and gains a further +1 on his diplomacy roll with Andorans.

Liberty's Edge

1/2E Sorc, HP:68 of 74, AC:15, Touch:15, Flat Footed:14, with mage armor 12hrs F:+11, R:+10, W:+15, Init:+1, Perc:+18

Next, Lavode thoughtfully stands forth. After a moment to collect his thoughts, in a clear yet controlled voice he begins.

The general outline of my tale may not be all that unusual. Someone inspired me as a lad, I followed his lead, and have managed to make a contribution to the world around me.

When I was a child, my village was beset by monstrously huge rats. (With a sheepish grin.) Well at least they were monstrously huge to me, but maybe that was just because I was such a small child. I'm still not what any would call a large person. But they were at least big enough and numerous enough that the adults of the village were afraid of them. When it seemed as if hope was lost a bird like man soared from the clouds. Making hit and run diving attacks on the largest of the beasts. Eventually he apparently managed to kill or drive off whatever was holding the pack together.
Afterwords I listened closely to everything he said to our village elders and late in the evening I even asked some questions myself. He said he was of the race of Tengu from far to the east. He had patterned his style of combat on that great predetory raptor the Gryfalcon. His name was Kiki-Alon. I remember him speaking with elder Dais and laughingly saying, “Even the most powerful of rats must fear the talons from above!” He was in the area pursing rumors of an ancient curse. His powers let him know of our need and let him know which of the rats were the most dangerous.
He was of course a Pathfinder and inspired me to become one as well. I try to live up to the example he set. Saving others from tyranny, leaning about the world, and standing up for those that can not.
My strengths are not his, so I had to find my own way to contribute. I soon discovered a connection to the powers beyond this world and worked to strengthen that connection.

At his point, Lavode uses his arcane abilities to illustrate the scenes he will proceed to descibe. paragon surge to learn major image – so has used 2 3rd level spells

Recently I was a part of the team that rescued the long imprisoned Amethyst Sage from the wastes of Nex. These are my fellows on the team (shown in the image trekking across the wastelands).
I brought forth creatures of the very air and earth to find us shelter from the mystical sand storm. The great scorpions at my command were enough to convince the Girtabilius guardians to let us pass without necessitating their slaughter. Those of us without strength of arms, used arcane and divine powers at our disposal to keep each other alive and strengthen each other. Those with skill at arms hew through the unliving and mystical guardians.

He uses the illusion to show the fights with the undead, the guardian statue, and finally with the godling.

We worked together as a team to assemble the clues and breach find the vault before the magical energies brought the entire complex down upon our heads. In the end, we even managed to banish from our world the evil godling that had held the sage imprisoned for centuries.

He lets the image fade.

We discovered much and brought forth more information which will keep scholars busy for years to come.
It was the epitome of the motto “Explore, Cooperate, Report.”
{sigh} Sadly, like many of the tales within the chronicles, it was a case of doing the best we could and picking the lesser of evils. The sage is clearly a ruthless individual but he has knowledge that can help the Pathfinders continue to do good works in the world. The godling was clearly an evil of no redeeming qualities.

That was Ancients Anguish.

possibly applicable rolls:

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
bluff: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27
perform oratory: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (9) + 18 = 27
knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Sovereign Court

Male Half-orc Urban Barbarian 1/Blood Conduit 1/ Martial Artist 11 HP: 112/112 AC:26 (29)* Touch: 25 FF: 22 (25)* F/R/W: +16/+13/+13 CMD: 41 Percep: +19 Init: +5 Controlled Rage: 10/10 Bloodrage 7/7 Stunnning Fist 18/18 Elemental Fist 11/11

Koraq stays silent during the first two speeches, then smirks as he stands up. "Sure we got knowledge and cooperation, but in our more troubled times with enemies growing all around, strength and power are important... and that's why Pathfinders like me are around.", Koraq nodding approvingly at Adril, then flexing his orcish muscles.

"Ever drop a demon in one hit?", Koraq looks at the others briefly before continuing. "I have, and I don't mean some wimpy little dretch, but a real demon causing terror in the land. I was assigned to a team that was on a mission in the Realm of the Mammoth Lords, bordering the Worldwound. We had to check out some sites to establish a base camp and one of them involved going to a graveyard of former defenders of Sarkoris that was abandoned as the Worldwound grew. We were told a powerful demon lurked here, and lurk it did along with a pair of mammoths it corrupted. The demon looks like a flying balloon rat with bat-wings and using a whip. As the strongest among my party, they saw the value of my strength and reinforced my skills accordingly. My fists were enhanced so each finger was a strong as a croc's.", Koraq stretching out the fingers of his thick hands. "And then, they made me as big as our prey. ", Koraq grabbing a vial at his side and chugging its contents, now growing another 6 feet in height as his large form dominates the room. "After that, I ran up and delivered a powerful hurricane kick!", the half-orc now leaping up and spinning in his air as his heel unleashes a quick breeze from the ferocity of the kick.

Acrobatics w/ High Jump: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (12) + 38 = 50
Enlarged PA VS kick @ "air": 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 18 + 1 + 3 = 34
Damage if I was trying to hit something: 3d6 + 24 + 9 + 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2, 4) + 24 + 9 + (5, 2, 4) + 2 = 53

"Poor bastard didn't stand a chance. One kick and the demon lord of the graveyard was defeated and the Society got a historical site and pleased some of the local tribes in the Mammoth Realm to earn their cooperation for our ventures in the Worldwound."

Edit: Diplomacy Roll
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

1 to 50 of 1,337 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS / Mars] Eyes of the Ten Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.