GM Rinaldo's Ruins of Azlant

Game Master The Great Rinaldo!

Campaign Journal | People and Places of note | Maps and Images | Distance Calculator
Gervase's Loot Sheet | Aquatic Combat rules


401 to 450 of 824 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily nods to Goldhawk.

I can get a pretty good distance away... could probably hit them from the ship even so long as you can get them underwater.

She grins sheepishly and curls a bit of her hair around one finger.

But well.. wood floats you know. Not much I can help with for something under the water.


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

I think tha boat will be fine, 'awk. Can we get a couple of ropes and floats in case we need t' fish ye out o' tha water? Or a pole, maybe?

Arcilde lays down her gear and takes off the breastplate. Thanks for tha armor, 'awk. That will be easier t' swim in. She sorts through her belongings, selecting a few items to carry with her. I can leave some scrolls in tha waterproof bag, but I s'pose it's no good to keep any in tha wrist sheath...

She examines her weapons and shakes her head. These are all slashies and slammies--no sticky-pokies. I don't s'pose any of ye have a spear I can borrow? Or a short sword...or even a dagger?

Arcilde will wear Gervase's leather armor and carry the waterproof bag (with her scrolls), her holy symbol, the air bladder, rope and grappling hook, and whatever piercing weapons, floatation devices, and/or fishing poles she can borrow from the crew. Everything else will stay on the boat.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

"Yeah, take my dagger, Arcilde."

Gervase offers the weapon handle first to the warpriest and checks the location of her backpack on the Peregrine's deck.

"Are we just about ready to try our fishy 'bait-and-switch' plan?"


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Gilstrom cheerfully salutes the others. "ONWARDS PERSEPHONE!" he cries as he rappels down the ship's netting onto his dolphin before they speed off in search of driftwood or anything he can properly tow. He'll then tie the driftwood to Persephone's saddle, ideally looping the other end of the rope around a branch stub.

Once the others are set up on the boat as backup for combat, Gilstrom makes his way to the fishies attached to the boat, trying to get his tasty driftwood near them. He activates speak with animals to pass commands clearly to Persephone and avoid any confusion.

Getting her into position and ready to take off, Gilstrom tries to sweep with his lance to knock off the two fish. If they manage to detach, he sends Persephone off at top speed, crying out to the ship to get a move on once they're off and have either the fish on their log, or a fight on their hands.


Level 50 GM

OK, updated the map. The ladies are in the ship's boat as Gilstrom and Persephone make their charge. I'm going to call this a bull rush to try to dislodge the fish. Go ahead and make me a CMB check; based on the result I'll decide whether you dislodge one, both, or neither. Then we'll start combat rounds to see how things go from there.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

CMB: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

If they don't detach, Gilstrom gives them another whack.

CMB: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Sigh.


Level 50 GM

Gilstrom rides up, aiming his lance at the first echeneis. Just as he is about to strike, however, a school of small fish passes in front of him, and his lance strikes the side of the ship instead. His momentum lost, he uses his lance as a level and just pries the suckerfish off.

Initiative:

Gilstrom: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Gervase: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Arcilde: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Lily: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Blue: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Yellow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Combat card:

Lily
---
Blue
Yellow (attached to ship)
---
Gilstrom
Arcilde
Gervase

Lily is up. Blue has been dislodged from the ship, while Yellow is still attached. Aquatic Combat rules are in effect.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily stands up in the boat, taking in a deep breath as energy whirls around her, flower petals and bits of wood and branch appearing from nowhere as she focuses, holding out her hand... waiting patiently for the first enemy to breach the surface.

acrobatics to stand in boat: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9Seriously. >.<

Unfortunately, her feet have other ideas as the boat shifts under her!

reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

Suddenly, Lily is overboard, splashing into the water with a plume of droplets.

swim: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8Well, now I have the excuse for getting that skill point in swim next level...

Lilly sinks a bit under the weight of her chain shirt, and she blinks in surprise. Luckily, she thought I can hold my breath a long time... though Hawk will never stop making jokes about this... or holding my breath.

swim: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12Second move action for success?

She kicks up to the surface again and wipes the hair from her eyes.

I'm okay! I'm okay!


Level 50 GM

Lily leaps to her feet, and immediately regrets doing so as she flails around and falls into the water, nearly bringing Arcilde and Gervase with her.

Blue bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Blue tail: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
The fish dislodged by Gilstrom decides that dolphin is what's for dinner, and latches on. It swings its tail around, but does not manage to connect.

Yellow bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
The other fish likes what his friend has found, and swims over to get some of that delicious cetacean.
Persephone takes 8 damage and a -2 penalty to DEX, and must pass two DC 12 Will saves or take a slow effect.

As the magical fish detach from the ship, the Peregrine lurdches forward, and begins picking up speed.

The ship is attached to the map, so I've moved everyone else relative to it to represent it starting to move away.

Combat card:

Blue
Yellow
---
Gilstrom [Holding breath while taking combat actions: 1/6 rounds]
Persephone [P: -8hp, -2DEX, slowed?]
Arcilde
Gervase
Lily

Everyone is up!


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

Is Persephone consider grappled? If so, Arcilde will cast Liberating Command.


Level 50 GM

Yes, she is. Gilstrom, roll an Escape Artist check for Persephone at +4 for Arcilde's spell.

That's an immediate action for Arcilde as the grapple happened, so you still have your full round available.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Persephone Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Gilstrom shrieks, burbling noisily. "SHE'S HURT! SOMEONE HELP HER!"

Panicking, he produces his trident before stabbing out at the fish attached to her while Persephone tires to knock it off as well in her slowed state, backing off quickly.

Persephone Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 - 2 = 7 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Gilstrom Power Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 1 = 20 Damage+Aquatic+Power Attack+Challenge: 1d6 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 + 2 = 9

Well that was a string of awful rolls. Activating challenge, also gain a damage bonus for fighting in water. 5' step.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

@Gilstrom, do you still have Persephone’s immediate action escape artist check to take?

@GM Rinaldo, is the map updated? I would have thought Blue fish would be closer to Lily and Yellow would be adjacent to Persephone? (Though maybe Gilstrom 5' stepped away.)

I wouldn’t mind having some of those things clarified before taking my turn. Is that OK?


Level 50 GM

Blue did not have to move to attack, yellow took a move action to go around blue. The Peregrine having moved away distorts apparent positions a bit, too.

Persephone is considered grappled, so she cannot move. That means Gilstrom can't move either unless he dismounts. He is still underwater, holding his breath for now.

Gilstrom switches to his trident and lands a strong blow on one of the echeneises, while Persephone suffers the effect of the speed-draining fish.


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

Can Arcilde maneuver the boat closer to the fish so that Gervase can attack? If so, she'll take a standard action to give Gervase War Mind, then move the boat.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Got ninja'd by Rinaldo's post, didn't see it counted as a grapply.

Escape!: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 4 = 11

*sob*


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

I’m going to assume Arcilde can maneuver the boat 15’ as a move action (as in the Grindlow combat) and still ✨cast warmind as a standard.

Round #1: AC 14 (failed swim check); hold breath 1/48 - 1 = 47

Stepping over the gunwale to the SW, Gervase manages to trip on an oarlock, plunging into the water head first.

Welp, at least Lily's off the hook -- No clumsy teasing heading her way now.

Swim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Attempting to right herself, so that she can hang upside-down and brace against the boat’s hull, Gervase realizes she won’t make any progress and allows herself to sink 5’ beneath the surface. (7’ swim move action)

As Persephone’s tormentor comes into view, Gervase raises her harpoon to strike. (standard)

harpoon + PA + warmind - failed swim check on Yellow: 1d20 + 6 - 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 6 - 1 + 1 - 2 = 9
piercing damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 3 = 12 (half damage)


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily takes a deep breath and let's go of the boat, sinking down under the water a few feet, giving some kicks once she's level with the fish.

swim: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12

Kicking underwater, she holds out her arm and a lance of wood shoots forward, streaming bubbles behind it.

Wood Blast: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 - 2 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Level 50 GM

Whoever moved the boat moved Lily with it, but she was already in the water at that point. I moved her back to her previous position, then 10' toward the action with the successful swim check.

Arcilde maneuvers the boat closer to the action and blesses Gervase, who promptly dives into the water to help Gilstrom and Persephone. Out of practice at swimming in hostile waters, she is unable to connect a blow with her harpoon.

Meanwhile Lily manages to come up for air, then takes aim. Unfortunately, the water slows the dart and makes aiming past everyone else difficult.
Lily's attack is at -4 for firing into melee and an addition -2 per 5' of distance travelled for a net -6; the fish is at -2 AC for grappling. Sadly the attack doesn't quite hit.

Blue maintain grapple: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
Yellow maintain grapple: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Blue tail slap vs Gilstrom: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
Yellow tail slap vs Gervase: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15 damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1
The fish both hold on to Persephone, chowing down on her yummy speed, and slap their tails out at the people trying to bother them. Gilstrom manages to avoid being hit, but Gervase is a bit off balance in the water currently, and it connects.

Gervase takes 1 damage. Persephone takes an additional -2 penalty to DEX and gets to resave against the slow. If she passes two DC 12 Will saves the slow effect ends.

The Peregrine begins picking up speed and moves away.

Combat card:

Blue [Grappling, -9hp]
Yellow [Grappling]
---
Gilstrom [Holding breath while taking combat actions: 2/6 rounds]
Persephone [Grappled, -8hp, -4DEX, slowed]
Arcilde
Gervase [-1hp, off balance]
Lily

Everyone is up! The Peregrine is off the map now, so ignore it.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Yeah sorry, GM Rinaldo. I moved the boat. I assumed Lily was at the surface clinging to the side of the boat. But looks like no harm done?

Round #2: AC 16; hold breath 2/24 (combat actions, Deep Diver ex) ☤ 19/20 hp ☤

Swim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Having recovered from her boating trip, Gervase frog-kicks downwards 5’ at quarter speed and braces her feet against the boat’s hull, before striking out at yellow once more.

harpoon + PA + warmind on Yellow: 1d20 + 6 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 - 1 + 1 = 12
piercing damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 = 11


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

---

The horrible thought that his dolphin may actually suck enters into Gilstrom's mind, but is quickly banished. Persephone's thrashing are getting slower and she is clearly not doing well. He had to save her. Burbling in the water with rage as he continues to hold his breath, Gilstrom stabs out at the same fish.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 1 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 + 1 = 8


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2
GM Rinaldo wrote:


Lily's attack is at -4 for firing into melee and an addition -2 per 5' of distance travelled for a net -6; the fish is at -2 AC for grappling. Sadly the attack doesn't quite hit.

I have precise shot, I don't take the -4 for firing into melee. Which sounds like I hit instead!

Lily continues to hold her breath and aims for another shot.

Wood Blast: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 - 2 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Thaaat probably didn't hit though.


Level 50 GM

I had missed you taking Precise Shot at level 2. That does turn that attack into a hit.

Lily's eyes clear as she wipes some water away, and she discovers that her first shot did in fact strike true. Combined with another strong hit by Gilstrom, the first echeneis is defeated and releases its grip from Persephone.

Her confidence bolstered, she shoots again, but this time her dart does in fact go wide.

Gervase tries another jab at the other fish, to no effect.


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

I think Arcilde is too far away to attack with the dagger, and she doesn't have any piercing ranged weapons.

Lily! Grab 'old and I'll pull you in. Arcilde tosses Lily a rope, then readies an action to reel her friend in.


Level 50 GM

Arcilde tosses one end of a rope to Lily and holds on to the other, ready to assist if needed.

Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Tail: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
The remaining echeneis realizes that Gilstrom is a threat, and releases its hold on Persephone to attack him instead; snapping twice, it manages to latch on, and the gnome feels an icy cold start to spread through his limbs. Gilstrom takes 2 damage, -1 penalty to DEX, and must make that DC 12 Will save against slow.

I'll also allow Gilstrom a Handle Animal or Sense Motive check (whichever is better) - this is about Persephone, so your class Handle Animal bonus would apply:

DC 15 on above check:
Persephone seems to be recovering from the fish bites pretty rapidly.

Combat card:

Blue [dead]
Yellow [Grappling]
---
Gilstrom [Holding breath while taking combat actions: 2/6 rounds; grappled; -2hp, -1 DEX, slowed?]
Persephone [-8hp, -4DEX, slowed]
Arcilde {Readied action to reel in Lily}
Gervase [-1hp]
Lily

Everyone is up! If Lily chooses to take a move action to grab the rope, Arcilde's readied action will kick in to pull her up. At that point Lily can either stay low in the boat and attack with the appropriate penalties, or try to stand up again. If Lily does not want to get pulled in, she can take a normal round and so can Arcilde.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily ignores the rope to her at least for the moment, and aim's her wrist at the fish...

Wood Blast: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 - 2 = 9
Damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

but she just doesn't catch the knack of firing underwater. Letting out a burst of bubbles that is the swear, she snags the rope as Arcilde hauls her back up. She kneels in the boat and coughs a bit as she wipes the water from her eyes.

Dang it, such a clutz... I gotta figure out a better way to fight underwater...


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Round #3: AC 16; hold breath 3/24 (combat actions, Deep Diver ex) ☤ 19/20 hp ☤

With her feet braced against the hull of the jolly boat, (don’t think a swim check is required) and the yellow-finned fish still within range, Gervase grips her harpoon in both hands over her head and thrusts again.

harpoon + PA + war mind on Yellow: 1d20 + 6 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 1 + 1 = 7
piercing damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 3 = 17


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Will: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Gilstrom lets out a sigh of relief as the fish focuses on him and he manages to resist the slowing impulse. Letting out a high-pitched burble he stabs out.

Persephone Slowed Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 - 2 = 6 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 1 = 17 Damage+POwer Attack + Aquatic: 1d6 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 11


Level 50 GM

Lily and Gervase have difficulty connecting with the wily fish, but Gilstrom manages to stab it.

Fish is still squirming, Arcilde can act.


Level 50 GM

Dorothy gave me instructions offline for Arcilde's turn:

Holding on to her rope in case Lily needs it. Arcilde leans over and touches the young horticulturalist, granting her the War Blessing of her god.

Gervase, don't forget you have this also. Choose at the beginning of each turn what bonus to take.

Maintain grapple vs Gilstrom: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Tail slap vs Gervase: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
The echeneis continues to hold on to Gilstrom, sapping more of the gnome's energy. It also tries to slap Gervase, but the diver easily dodges.

Gilstrom takes another -1 DEX penalty and makes another DC 12 Will save vs the slow effect. Everyone is up!


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily leans over the edge of the boat, takes a deep breath and focuses on the magic power coursing through her... and takes the shot.
Wood Lance: 1d20 + 5 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 5 - 2 - 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Wood Lance Crit?: 1d20 + 5 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 5 - 2 - 2 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Hopefully, teaching that fish about messing with a farm girl!


Level 50 GM

With Arcilde's blessing on her, Lily lines up her shot, and this time lands her thorn directly into the fish's head. It releases its grip on Gilstrom, who directs Persephone to the surface where they both take a deep breath.

End of combat. Persephone has 8 damage, Gilstrom has 2, and Gervase has 1. The DEX penalty and slow effects disappear within a few rounds.

Perception:

Gilstrom: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Persephone: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Gervase: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Arcilde: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Lily: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

As she rights herself so she can surface as well, Gervase notices a figure in the distance through the water ... a gryndylow has been watching, and as the fight ends, it jets off. Gervase is pretty sure she can tell what direction it went in, but even Persephone would have trouble keeping up with it at the speed it was swimming.

Freed of the magical fish, the Peregrine finds a suitable spot to drop anchor. Captain Markosi and Quartermaster Brady join you in the ship's boat and you return to shore. Everyone is visibly relieved to see the ship back to normal.

Seeing your wounds, Eamon comes over to offer healing. He channels to heal, fixing everyone up (including Persephone).

Ramona asks you, "What was it? We saw you dive into the water and stay there for some time ... it is a good thing you are such practiced divers!"


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Gilstrom breaks the surface of the water, gasping for air and wailing in misery. "Those bastard sons of flounders they bite Persephone!" Once the slowing effect has worn off of his dolphin, he gives her a hug and she chitters joyfully as Eamon's healing restores her.

"That was terrifying! It's hard to be a dolphin-riding knight without a dolphin. That plan was almost good. Anyways, some magic speed-sucker fish were slowing the boat. Had to knock 'em off and kill them. Nasty jerks!" Gilstrom happily blabs whatever he knows without htinking about it too much.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Gervase somersaults forward and butterfly dolphin-kicks lazily to the surface.

After clambering aboard the boat, she makes sure to soak Arcilde with a hug before grabbing a hold of Lily and squeeeezing. “I knew you could do it, Lily!”

“You’ve gotta start ignoring those little voices that put you down. And start believing in yourself -- the way that I do!” ;)

Something out of the corner of my eye wrote:
A gryndylow has been watching …

“Lily, did you see that?”

Gervase releases the grappled spear-fisher and points. “Another sea-gob … No in the water, Freefield. Did you see which way it went?

Gilstrom wrote:
“That plan was almost good.”

“Let us never speak of ‘the plan’ again!”

Gervase hangs her head in embarrassment. “I’m just grateful Persephone is OK.”

“So what now, Ms Advanth? Straight to Talmandor’s Bounty? I saw a gryndylow spy scarper in that direction when the fish fight was over.”


Level 50 GM

"One of the sailors had mentioned seeing some caves off in that direction. I doubt we'll be able to make peace with them, since they attacked on sight before, so we will probably need to drive them off - another task for the troubleshooters, if you're up for it."

She sighs and continues, "However, first we need to convince our people that it is safe to go back and inhabit the colony. Your assistance with the ship has helped, but there are a few ... well, I hesitate to say 'instigators', but they are the most vocal. Some are saying we should return to Almas, which is pretty much not possible since the Peregrine doesn't have enough supplies for all of us for six more weeks. Others are grumbling about my leadership, as if I had anything to do with our current situation."

"Your accomplishments so far may have earned you some respect among the others. See if you can talk some sense into them. I fear we may have a riot on our hands soon."

Looking around, you can see what she means. There are a few knots of colonists, and you can tell who is at the center of each.
-----------
Lots of explanation for this encounter, see the OOC thread.


Level 50 GM

Lily Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Arcilde Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Lily considers what she recalls about Faedwyr from the voyage. Given his timid nature, he probably just needs his confidence in the colony’s protectors bolstered. A demonstration of strength or combat ability might reassure him that the colony is in good hands. A strength check or similar demonstration of martial prowess could be used to influence him.

Arcilde chats with the group around Perrell a bit, and realizes that Perrell is simply worried that there is some unknown danger on the island the group will not be able to overcome. The academic is a bit naive and sheltered, and could be persuaded with verbal reassurances. A bluff or diplomacy check could be used to influence her.

Gilstrom and Gervase can now either try discovery checks on other NPCs, or attempt to influence someone. If you want to influence, describe what you do along with your check. Remember, good roleplay = circumstance bonuses!


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

In a low voice. “Lily, will you walk me over to speak with our ‘fraidy farmer?”

Assuming she does, Gervase stands casually beside her friend.

“How are you doing, Mr Trundelbrook? The first colonists have cut your work out for you.”

She smiles showing him the shortbow she made. “But have no fear, we’re gonna have you sowing those fields in no time.”

☀ ❦ ☔ ⚘

“Are you worried about those scavengers we sorted out in town? Don’t be -- Gilstrom and I were in the navy, you know.”

“One of my old commandants was BIG on reading. She made us memorize passages from Military Philosophies – like those of General Arnisant, who led the Shining Crusade against the Whispering Tyrant:

❧ If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can win without endangering your charges.
❧ All warfare is based on deception.

“This stuff’s surprisingly useful. Allow me to demonstrate.”

Gervase turns suddenly to her bestie. “Lily, you trust me right?” ;)

“The ultimate test is if you turn around, close your eyes and let yourself fall backwards, TRUSTING your friend to catch you.”

If she does, not only will I catch her. I’ll immobolize her in a half-nelson and the battle will be over before it begins!

CMB to grapple Lily: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 c’mon roleplay bonus!


Level 50 GM

Well, you beat Lily's flat-footed CMD ... ;-)

Faedwyr watches as Gervase demonstrate a hold on her friend, and even manages to smile a bit. "I appreciate what you're saying, but it's just so much, you know? I was told we would be coming to a small village ready to just have us join in. I never expected ... whatever this is!"

He seems to be a little less nervous, but it's hard to say if you've completely allayed his concerns or not.

Gilstrom could make another attempt to influence him, try for someone else, or do a discovery on Sedgewick or Carrolby.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Seeing the ladies try to impress Faedwyr, Gilstrom stalks up, all bravado. "We're settlers! Explorers. A little danger is a part of the job, and that's why we're here. I may not be tall, but I can pack a whallop!"

To demonstrate his strength, Gilstrom hauls out a huge tub of surprisingly weighty dolphin polish and attempts to press it overhead.

Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Unfortunately, he's completely off-balance and instead falls backwards, pinning himself under his polish.

"DWAAAHHH! ... maybe give me a hand?"

I don't know how much dolphin polish weighs, but probably more than that crummy roll, lol.


Level 50 GM

It's pretty safe to say Faedwyn is not impressed by Gilstrom's display.

You all have one more round of actions; consider and discuss what your best next step is.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily walks over to Perrell Beys, and whispers to her softly.

Can we talk? You and me, in private?

After leading Sedgewick a bit away from the others, she looks at her sternly.

Look, let's be honest, woman to woman okay? Your scared. I get it, I really do. It's scary out here... It's scary away from home.

She looks away at the group who is milling about with the others and sighs softly.

I remember my first night away from home. I was so scared... I knew the forests, but I wasn't ready for how dark it really was... knowing that the monsters could be out there. That I couldn't really protect myself if something really nasty came along. But my curiosity got the better of me. I couldn't just stay at home and cower from the forest. I HAD to know and

She then smiles and nods in hawk's direction as she works with the others to try and convince some of them.

But that's when I met... no... when Goldhawk SAVED me. I was attacked and nearly killed. But she hunted that thing down and saved my life. I learned so much from her... but one of the things I learned that was most important is that fear is not a bad thing. Fear keeps you alive. But letting fear control you? That stops you from really living. Yeah, it's dangerous, and you have to be careful.

She turns back to Perrell Beys.

But You wouldn't be here if you didn't know that. You just need a little reminder. We have some powerful warriors here to keep you safe, and one of the most powerful women I've ever seen. And you'll be strong, because you wouldn't have gotten on a boat out to the middle of nowhere if you didn't have that curiosity, just like I did. That drive to have to know what the rest of the world is like. You just... can't let it be, let your life go by and to let all the things you could do, see, and learn happen without you.

She puts her hand on her shoulder and squeezes tightly.

I know your scared. I am to. But we'll not just make it through this. We'll discover things, and we'll have amazing adventures, and we'll learn things about the world and ourselves we never knew. It's a risk, but it's a risk worth taking, I promise.

diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 14At least it was a half way decent roll!Hopefully some roleplay bonus means it's enough...


Level 50 GM

I guess we'll find out ... ;-)

Lily spends some time talking to Perrell Beys. She seems somewhat reassured, but you can tell she is still nervous.

Gervase and Gilstrom can either attempt a new influence check on either Carrollby or Sedgewick, or attempt an assist on Beys.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Sorry, post will be later today!


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

After embarrassing himself with his "feat" of strength, Gilstrom makes his way over to Sedgewick after Lily's excellent speech is done. He decides to use a little bit of the old gnomish charm.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

"So... Sedgewick." Gilstrom's resonate, if a little reedy voice become gentle. "I'm going to tell you the truth. Lily over there is trying to keep everyone calm. Give them strength and belief because, if we band together, if we organize, if we do our jobs - we'll do fine. I know this. We've got some tough people here."

His eyes narrow. "If we don't, things are going to go badly. We cannot go home. There are dangers out here. Colonists missing, a couple dead, and goblins and speed-sucker fish and a ghost and Gods know what else threatening to hurt us. We all have to be strong and we have to be together. Whatever problem you have with Ramona, knock it off. If people don't trust the leader, they all decide they want to be leader, and that means fighting. And that means people will die."

He pokes a finger at her. "I promised to protect you humans. But if you're busy undermining your leaders I can't do my job. Show your quality. Impress everyone. Help us out. We will thrive and you will be someone of importance in the most interesting place in the world. And maybe as that happens, Ramona will look at you differently."


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

“HEY, FREEFIELD! I’M WHACKING THOSE PIGS WE SLAUGHTERED ON THE SPIT NOW! HOW MUCH PORK CRACKLING DID YOU WAN…”

“Oh sorry, Lily. I see you’re talking to Ms Beys …”

Gervase wipes her hands on a tea towel looted from Talmandor’s Bounty and smiles sheepishly at the pair.

“I’m not normally this *ahem* 'boarish', Ms Beys. Indeed, my love of history was one of the reasons I signed on to an expedition to lost Azlant. I’d also love to learn Azlanti from you once we’re established.”

The ranger lifts her head, working a few cricks out of her neck. “The last coupla days have been pretty tough – but I have looooved the challenge!”

“And Old Deadeye preaches ‘nothing worth having comes easy,’ right?”

Aid Lily’s diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10


Level 50 GM

Gilstrom's heart-to-heart with Atona Sedgewick clearly has an effect. She blushes slightly, and looks away from the gnome, but accepts the chastisement. She finally looks back to him and says, "You're right ... I was letting petty feelings get in the way of the good of the colony. I should know better, and be better. Would you please tell Ramona that she has my full support? I think ... I think it may be a while before I can bring myself to talk to her directly."

Meanwhile, Gervase gets distracted looking at the fine boar meat you brought with you, but notices Lily having a serious conversation. Her bizarre behavior seems to crack something in Perrell, who actually laughs a bit, and seems to be slightly more at ease.

With Antona using her own influence to support you, and the fears of some of the more timid members of the group allayed, even Carrollby's crowd stops grumbling.

Ramona starts arranging the colonists into groups to get back to the Peregrine for the trip back south. As they get started, Anya Sandstrider comes over and looks at the boars. "Hmph. A little small, but good meat. Maybe we hunt together soon, I show you how to find real game, eh?" Gervase thinks she might see the barest hint of a smile on the Shoanti's face as she hefts both of the carcasses and walks away with them.

As the ships boats start ferrying colonists back to the ship, Ramona comes back to you. "Well, I must say, your style of diplomacy is certainly unusual, but it looks like you have a way with at least some of your neighbors."

She looks northward along the coast. "That grindylow you saw jetting away bothers me. Before we sail to ... well, I guess I should start calling it 'home' ... before we sail home, could you go look for that cave system the lookouts said they spotted? If you could run off those grindylows for good, I imagine everyone would feel safer."


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily nods.

Your not the only one it worries. Having a enemy encamped that close, one that can hit us from what should be a strong spot in our defense? Not happy about that in the slightest.

She rotates her shoulders a bit and sighs.

I had hoped we'd have some more time to rest... but job's gotta be done, and it's a while until sundown as the saying goes.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none
Anya Sandstrider wrote:
"Hmph. A little small, but good meat. Maybe we hunt together soon, I show you how to find real game, eh?"

“I look forward to it, Anya.”

Ramona wrote:
"Well, I must say, your style of diplomacy is certainly unusual, but it looks like you have a way with at least some of your neighbors."

“Yeah, there’ll always be about 20% with you and 20% against you. My father claimed it was the 60% on the fence that you had to focus on.”

Gervase looks happy about diving into some more action. “Yes, m’am. I’m up for some more.”

“Are the caves right on the shoreline? If so I expect some will be partially submerged. Would we gain an advantage by moving in on them at low tide?”

“More underwater action will be good practise, Freefield. We might even be able to bring Persephone along!”


Level 50 GM

You get further details from the crew: the caves appear to be right at the waterline at the bottom of a low cliff a bit further north. Borrowing a spyglass, are you just able to make out most likely spot for the entrance. It won't take long to get there in a ship's boat, but you will certainly be doing some swimming once you arrive.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None
Sedgewick wrote:
"You're right ... I was letting petty feelings get in the way of the good of the colony. I should know better, and be better. Would you please tell Ramona that she has my full support? I think ... I think it may be a while before I can bring myself to talk to her directly."

Gilstrom beams at her. "Of course! I'd be happy. Glad that you're with us. This colony is going to be wonderful."

----

Meeting back up with Ramona, Gilstrom happily tells her that Sedgewick has come around and will give full support. He then listens to the current problem.

"Oh boy! Underwater cave? I love those! If we can see it now, let's move while we still can. Persephone was born for this. I'm going to go polish her up before we go!"

True to his word, Gilstrom gets a big glob of dolphin polish ready so his mount can be extra shiny. On approach to the cave, he'll ride Persephone alongside the ship.

401 to 450 of 824 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rinaldo's Ruins of Azlant All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.