GM Rinaldo's Ruins of Azlant

Game Master The Great Rinaldo!

Campaign Journal | People and Places of note | Maps and Images | Distance Calculator
Gervase's Loot Sheet | Aquatic Combat rules


1 to 50 of 824 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Level 50 GM

Gameplay thread so you can get the game onto your campaigns page. Feel free to "ninja-dot" and delete after you post, to keep from cluttering. You can also post your public backstory and/or a journal/diary entry as you have you character solidified.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

“Yeah, I can see you’ve totally got it, Freefield.”

*Eye roll* “But we amateurs have to learn as well. So move it, chum and let me have a go.”

Take 10 Survival: 10 + 6 = 16

Gervase takes up the slack on the tent peg’s rope, bending her back as she heaves it to. “It’s gotta be tight, Lily. Like the coiled spring that is your mind.”

Once they’ve finished, Gervase takes a seat by the campfire and pours them both coffee. “No cows around here, Hayseed. You’ll have to take it without milk.”

“You mentioned exotic locations before. The Mwangi would count, right? Did I ever tell how I got my tattoo?”:
“Gray Corsairs do the impossible every day, Ms Goldhawk. Soloing a dozen seasoned warriors should be no challenge to someone with your record.”

The Mwangi dawn had brought dank humid air, hundreds of buzzing flies and the unwelcome news that Gervase’s watch mate had fallen ill.

A group of four Midshipman and their Supervising Officer had been in-country for nearly a month, after sailing the Defiant from Augustana. The obsolete cutter was a gift from the people of Andoran to their allies the Ekujae, a wild elf tribe engaged in a bitter guerrilla war with the Aspis. The Consortium was busily dredging an inlet on sacred Ekujae country for a wealthy new client - the Chelish navy.

While the Ekujae were excellent sailors, the square-rig that the Defiant sported was new to them and it was the task of the Gray Corsair cadets to train their hosts to handle their new flagship. Gervase and her mate were assigned to the Defiant this swing, but with Nog falling ill, Gervase would shortly be heading out to the cutter’s berth alone …

⚓ ⚓ ⚓

“Midshipman Goldhawk reports, Ser! Permission to come aboard?”

After nimbly scaling the cutter’s side, Gervase saluted the non-existent quarterdeck of the tiny vessel and scanned the fierce, unwelcoming faces of her new shipmates.

The response of the Defiant’s new Captain was immediate. “Initiate her.”

One warrior went high and another low, smashing Gervase to the deck, and tearing off the right sleeve of her uniform jacket. A cruel-smiling desperado showed her a wicked scrimshaw needle as his white-masked mate produced a bucket of kraken ink and a masterwork sap.

“It best you not be awake for this. We no want to hear human scream.”

The sap was raised with relish and shortly afterwards Gervase’s world went dark.

Sometime later, she came to under the watchful gaze of the Defiant’s Captain. Feeling no pain apart from an aching head, a quick inspection of her upper arm confirmed that no tattoo had been applied.

The Ekujae snorted at her surprised expression before disappearing below. “You have to earn it.”

⚐ ⚑ ⚐

Gervase was surprised by the natural seamanship of the Defiant’s crew, and when her skipper announced a night passage through shoalwater not far from an Aspis watchtower, the Andoran believed her shipmates were ready.

With Gervase at the tiller, the Leading Topman keeping watch from the cross-trees and the rest of the crew asleep below, a midnight appearance by the ‘Swain lurching in the direction of the head came as no surprise. Even Gervase was aware that the elf had succumbed to one of the Aspis’s most lucrative exports to the Mwangi – rum.

⚞SPLASH⚟

Instantly realizing the inebriated elf was in the water, it took every ounce of Gervase’s self-control to resist immediately diving in after him. With nobody at the tiller, the Defiant’s bottom would be torn out by hidden rocks, jeopardizing the lives of all onboard.

“Take the tiller, Top!”

“I no take orders from human female.” was the surly elf’s immediate response.

“TAKE THE TILLER NOW! OR I’LL KNOCK OUT ALL YOUR TEETH AND WEAR THEM ON A NECKLACE.”

Hearing the desperate concern in the young woman’s voice, the elf topman flew to obey, while Gervase dived headfirst into the watery abyss.

It was a hopeless task. Too much time had passed and there was no light by which to see. Finally admitting defeat, an exhausted Gervase was hauled out of the water. Alone.

The captain listened to her report stone-faced, eventually responding. “You did the right thing, girl. If you had left your post any earlier the ship may have foundered and many would have drowned.”

The stern elf then nodded to the rest of the crew. “Initiate her.”

High and Low took her to the deck once more, but the Ekujae tattoo was applied for real this time, without the benefit of ‘anaesthetic.’

Above her own screams, Gervase heard her Captain’s calm voice.

“You’ve earned it.”


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily sips at the coffee for a bit as she listens to the story, visibly wincing at the description of the application of the tattoo.

By all the hells, I can't imagine why some people have so many tattoos. Blasted needles...

She gives a sidewise glance at Goldhawk.

What? It ain't about the pain. I can handle pain. It's bad memories I can't stand... even a happy memory can be made a bad one when you least expect it.
Knowledge Nature Take 10: 10 + 4 = 14

She tilts her head and holds out a hand. A plant that Goldhawk almost leaned against suddenly shrivels back as if recoiling.

Don't want you breaking out in poison ivy boils Porcelain Doll, be a right shame.

She leans back and sips at the coffee.

I know your just dying to ask me what I mean... See, there is a reason I don't like needles...

Spoiler:

Bellis in the summertime is a farmers paradise, with rich land, strong forests, and a climate that just seems to cheer every last plant and animal onwards to grow bigger and fatter. Lily plays with a group of children, a game of Prismati. The children cheer her on as she pitches her stone, but their faces blurred, lost to time. All except one boy. He's tall, handsome, and with smooth good looks that will weather well with age. It's the Foxkern families boy, Paul. He smiles at Lilly in a way that makes her smile back. Her stomach flutters and other body parts roil as she remembers what, exactly, the animals got up to when they decided they like each other. He cheers the loudest, and it's hard to concentrate. She botches her next throw, the stone rolling away, but he keeps smiling.
---------------------------------------------
He kisses her again and again, and she pants and smiles at him. He's beautiful, even drenched in sweat. But a hard days work suits him, makes him smell nice, makes his hair hang wet in a way that makes her smile so much she can't stand it. He holds up a honeycomb to her, and they both take a bite, letting the pleasure of the golden liquid flow through them both. Lily pushes against him for another kiss, and he pushes back playfully. Their kiss sends them rolling over, bumping into the beehive. The bees, upset at the commotion, attack, stinging them a few times. Lilly yelps in pain, but Paul is stoic, and helps her pull the stinger out despite his own spots. He scratches the spots where she pulls out the stinger, and complains about the heat.

Then he starts to cough. And wheeze... holding his throat as his eyes go wide.

-----------------------------------------------

Lily stands and watches as the pyre burns up her love. Taken from her by the ones who gave her the sweetest taste of the sweetest moment. There was no reason to be angry, not really. But it was still frustrating... to know that the gods, or maybe just the bees has chosen her to live. His parents weep, and her own put a hand on her shoulder... but his parents are blurry. Even the fire is blurry. All that is in sharp relief is his dead body, laying there, wreathed in a cloak of red and orange, like the kingship he deserved.

She could handle the stings. They where painful, but painful was temporary. What was forever was the memory they brought back, of her happiness day, darkened into sadness by one little sting.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

At the conclusion of Lily’s story, Gervase has no words.

Before the calming *crackle* of the campfire, she simply covers one of her friend’s hands with her own.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily gives a weak little smile, and let's the silence speak it's volumes. She doesn't draw the hand away, and enjoys the understanding from someone else. Gervase gets the feeling she's one of the few people on Golarian who knows this story.


Level 50 GM

The Bountiful Venture Company, in cooperation with the People's Council of Andoran, has established a colony on the small island of Ancorato in the Arcadian Ocean. Many people applied to join the colony, but only a small number of those with the right mix of skills could be accepted.

Lily:

Ms. Lily Freefield

It is our pleasure to confirm you as a member of the Second Expedition to the Federated Colony of Talmandor's Bounty. Congratulations!

Your special skills will be appreciated in the burgeoning farms of the colony. I would also ask that you assist Lyra Heatherly with her surveys of the area around the colony to determine where best to expand the farms of the colony.

Please submit a list of items you intend to bring with you on the journey so that space and weight can be accounted for on the ship. Your ship, the Peregrine, departs on the 1st of Serenith.

Good luck, colonist!

Gervase:

Ms. Gervase Goldhawk

It is our pleasure to confirm you as a member of the Second Expedition to the Federated Colony of Talmandor's Bounty. Congratulations!

Your primary role is as a hunter and fisher. In that role, please work with Anya Sandstrider. It is our hope that together you will tame the beasts of Ancorato for the benefit of the colony.

Please submit a list of items you intend to bring with you on the journey so that space and weight can be accounted for on the ship. Your ship, the Peregrine, departs on the 1st of Serenith.

Good luck, colonist!

Arcilde:

Ms. Arcilde (no surname provided)

It is our pleasure to confirm you as a member of the Second Expedition to the Federated Colony of Talmandor's Bounty. Congratulations!

The initial colony has a master smith by the name of Argos Samevaar. He currently has a single apprentice with him. You will be joining him as an assistant, along with Luetin Calewick. We recommend you get to know Mister Calewick on your journey so that once you arrive, the two of you can take on whatever work Master Samevaar needs from you. Be sure to inform him of your magical skills, as they may be useful to him.

Please submit a list of items you intend to bring with you on the journey so that space and weight can be accounted for on the ship. Your ship, the Peregrine, departs on the 1st of Serenith.

Good luck, colonist!

Gilstrom:

Mr. Gilstrom Noblewater (and Persephone)

It is our pleasure to confirm you as a member of the Second Expedition to the Federated Colony of Talmandor's Bounty. Congratulations!

Your unusual set of skills and your companion have earned you a space on the roster. The colony was chosen for its relatively safe position, but having someone who can patrol the waters will be a great boon for the colony. You will report to Ramona Avandth, the colony's leader. Please get to know her on your journey out and make sure she is familiar with your particular skill set.

Please submit a list of items you intend to bring with you on the journey so that space and weight can be accounted for on the ship. Your ship, the Peregrine, departs on the 1st of Serenith.

Good luck, colonist!

As dawn breaks on the 1st day of Sarenith in the year AR 4717, the chosen members of the Second Colonial Expedition to Talmandor's Bounty embark onto the Peregrine to start the six week journey to Ancorato.

Please write a point-of-view as you embark onto the ship, and let me of any special plans you have for your six week journey.

The People and Places document lists some of the more notable people that you will quickly meet or become aware of on the ship. There are 40 or so more, so if there are any particular types of people you want to meet or get to know, let me know and I will tell you who you find.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Dear Madam or Ser:
I am very pleased to accept your offer to be a member of the Bountiful Venture Company’s Second expedition to Tamandor’s Bounty. Thank-you!

I look forward to hunting and fishing with Anya Sandstrider, so that together we can help provision and protect the community, while possibly recruiting some of the native fauna to the cause!

Please find enclosed a complete list of items I plan to take.

> See Character Profile <

The only trade goods I wish stowed that are not immediately portable include:

• 3lb (25gp) of Taldan yew wood, steel pulleys and wire, sufficient to make one (1) composite longbow
• 3lb (18.75gp) of Taldan yew wood and gut, sufficient to make one (1) simple longbow
• 2lb (18.75gp) of Taldan yew wood, steel pulleys and wire, sufficient to make (1) composite shortbow

I plan to spend as much time as practicable crafting the shortbow during the ocean voyage. I anticipate this will take approximately 38 days.

I look forward to meeting Expedition Leader Avandth on board the Peregrine.

Thank-you again.
Gervase Goldhawk

You only get to make one first impression. Do I play it safe and just wear old Purser’s Slops or should I ..?

Head held high and a feral grin on her face, Gervase strides purposefully towards the gangplank leading up to her home for the next six weeks – the good ship Peregrine.

Clad in a Retiarius gladiator’s outfit that emphasises her tall, muscular frame, Gervase would look at home playing up to the crowds in the Arena of Aroden in the River Kingdom town of Tymon.

With her long blonde hair arranged in twin braids and leather armor protecting her torso, she carries both a harpoon and fishing net. She has tied streamers around her knees, which match the blue warpaint she has smeared across her eyes, like an angry racoon's mask.

“Gervase Goldhawk, hunter and fisher reporting. Where do I make my mark?”

Putting down the cheap packing case that holds her bow-making material, Gervase curtseys and smiles unnervingly at the greeter. “Has Anya Sandstrider reported in yet? She’s to be my partner-in-crime (so to speak). So I’m very keen to meet her.”

Small talk done, Gervase takes a look around to see if she can spy any other interesting characters …

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Dang, ate my intro post. Oh well, this is better. Lily will bring a large allotment of Andoran Dirt, Seeds from a wide variety of fruits and plants, and will use her powers to grow starters in-between there and the colony (Count as her profession farmer check? Maybe?).

HAWK!

Gervase was trained to handle herself on a field of battle while under fire from siege engines. Here instructors had shown her trebuchet fire a stone once.

The memory comes sharply to mind as she is slammed by a deceptively heavy woman and is nearly knocked off her feet by the flying hug. First thing to register is the smell of honey and grasses. The second is the sight of red hair tied into a long braid. The third is a familiar smile and freckles.

Hawk! Please tell me your on this envoy to!

She squeezes her even tighter.

By the Gods I missed you.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

I know that bellow …

Lily wrote:
Please tell me your on this envoy to!

“I’m on this … OOF … envoy too.”

Once she’s recovered from the surprise, Gervase gazes towards the quarterdeck. “Captain Markosi, just what kinda outfit you running here?”

“It seems anyone can get past the Master-at-Arms and assault your passengers.”

Unable to keep a straight face, Gervase takes her friends’ hands and performs an impromptu jig.

Perform (dance): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Lily wrote:
“By the Gods I missed you.”

“Snap, Lily Freefield! But tell me, what role are you taking at the colony?”

*Deadpans* “I don’t believe they need a bedroll tester or honey-cake gobbler.”


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Dance!: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Lily is much worse at dancing then Gervase, but just as enthusiastic.

At Gervase's comment, Lily sticks her tongue out.

I'll have you know, I'll be in charge of the Colony's new farming and agriculture experiments. What do they have you doing, official colony fashion critic and tea sipper?

She mimes sipping a cup of tea.

Butler! I told you to use the GOOD porcelain! I don't care if you packed the wrong one, go sail back to Andorran now and get the RIGHT porcelain!

Lily's fashion choices probably have been critiqued by Gervase before. Unlike the valiant Gladiator outfit she wears, Lily's wouldn't look out of place in any town or farm, composed of greens and browns.

She gives a cheeky grin.

And don't worry. I packed plenty of honey-cake ingredients, I know your dying to have them again.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

"YAHOOO!!"

Gilstrom leaps into the air with excitement as the letter is delivered to the little seaside shack he's called his own for the past couple of years. He runs back and forth wildly. "omigodomigodomigod..."

After he manages to calm himself he rushes outside with a whistle, blowing into it frantically as he hopes, prays that Persephone is nearby. A familiar chitter greets him and he rushes to see his dolphin companion swim up to the harbour. She's generally uncomfortable in the docks, what with the nets and all, but this is a special occasion. Gilstrom summons 'the voice' and begins to babble to her.

"I was accepted! We were accepted and we're going to Azlant, the ancient lost kingdom. I am the luckiest gnome in the world!"

Persephone rolls in place before sending a blast of water into the air and chittering wildly. "That's great! Oh wow! I'm so happy for you! What's Azlant??"

Gilstrom starts to launch into an explanation as his spell wears off.

===================================================
Two hours of miming the history of human civilization to a dolphin later...
===================================================

Satisfied that Persephone now has a rough understanding of the Earthfall and lost empire, Gilstrom sets to taking a proper inventory of what he intends to take, underlining the critical crate of dolphin polish, if anything as an incentive to get Persephone to agree to leave her pod.

I may never return. A new world, above and below the sea. A colony to protect. I will never get bored again.

With his response letter neatly sent back, Gilstrom sets to work over the next couple of days putting his affairs in order, clearing out his shack and selling his meager possessions. With that done, he gets into his armour, fits his goggles, and lovingly straps on his plumed helmet. Saddling up Persephone, he rides upriver to say goodbye to his family.

=============
Boarding the Ship
=============

Gilstrom's voice is surprisingly deep for a gnome's, but has a high timbre and a piercing resonance. "Gilstrom Noblewater reporting!" Dragging behind the crate of dolphin polish as well as his own pack bursting with equipment, he makes his way onto the ship to take in the sight of a crew and get a sense of the operation.

Mostly big folk. Figures. Have to try twice as hard to get them to talk you half as seriously.

He then sees two dancing women and decides maybe that won't be a problem. "Ahem beg pardon ladies, I'm looking for Ramona Avandth. We've exchanged letters but alas we haven't met in person yet."


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none
Lily wrote:
What do they have you doing, official colony fashion critic?

Gervase pretends to be taken aback. "That’s right. How did you know?"

“Btw, thank-you for giving me so much material to work with, Freefield.” *cheesy grin*

“Oh and did you really bring honey cake stuff? Don’t tease me about something so serious.”

Gilstrom wrote:
"Ahem beg pardon ladies, I'm looking for Ramona Avandth.”

“Well, ser. Information like that doesn’t come cheaply on the Peregrine. Uh uh.”

The dive ranger makes a net-dragging bow to the cavalier. “I’m Gervase Goldhawk, and this is my bestie …”

Gervase pauses to allow Lily to introduce herself.

“I understand the colony’s economy works partially on a barter system. So in exchange for any information about the boss, I would ask you to first best either Lily or myself at a game of skill.”

Gervase glances at her friend to make sure she’s amenable to the game. "Lily plays by her own rules (trust me on that)."

“But if you want me as your opponent, you now have a choice to make” :
“Dance off or arm wrestle?”


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily deadpans back.

I may tease about many things, but never honeycake.

As their new small companion steps up and asks, Lily smiles.

Lily Fairfield, bestie reporting for duty, nice to meet you Sir.

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a seed, which quickly grows into a grass stalk that she sticks the tip into her mouth with a grin.

Trust me, Hawk's the better bet. Us Bellis girls have our own way of doing things, but hey, only half of them end up with the boy's legs broken!

Your... not entirely sure if she's joking.


Level 50 GM

Arcilde still needs to join the ship, but I'll give you a little more to work with in the meantime.
-----------------------------------

As the ship gets underway, the various members of the colony start to mingle and meet each other. A few quickly stand out either for their strong personalities or their important positions. Ramona does her best to let everyone know that under her leadership, no one is more important than anyone else -- all jobs and all people in a group this small are equally vital to success -- but still, it is clear who the movers and shakers are.

Ramona, of course, as the colony leader, is given the respect she is due. Besides being an administrator, she turns out to be a performer as well, with a fine singing voice that can often be heard around the ship. She has an easygoing nature and an infection sense of humor, and people generally seem to be at ease around her.

Eamon Caranth and Kurvis Nurpico are the colony's spiritual leaders. Representing Erastil and Abadar, respectively, the two bicker like an old married couple but you quickly realize that they are lifelong friends, and no more. Kurvis is often curmudgeonly and easily irritated, in counterpoint to Eamon's more relaxed and friendly nature, but both are good men who spend time getting to know everyone.

Luetin Calewick and the dwarf Arcilde are the colony's new blacksmiths, on their way to assist the current smith, Argos Samevaar. Luetin is a middle aged man prone to sizing people up and adjusting his attitude and opinion to those around him. Arcilde is somewhat shy in larger groups, but more relaxed one-on-one, and when she isn't sitting at a desk penning magical scrolls she can often be found asking people what sorts of things they would like the smiths to produce once they arrive.

Gervase Goldhawk and Anya Sandstrider have the job of leading the colony's hunters and fishers. Anya is a tattooed Shoanti who comes across as course and blunt, and her exotic looks have clearly caught the eye of several of the colonists. Gervase, though young, is a veteran of the Gray Corsairs, with a discipline that belies her age. Despite that, she is friendly and even bubbly, particularly when in the company of her close friend Lily.

Lily Freefield, one of the many farmers on the ship, is a friendly woman with even more of that spark of wanderlust than most colonists. Somehow she manages to keep plants growing in the small amount of earth she was able to bring, and many of her fellow farmers are in awe of her skill and ask if she can teach them her magic.

Finally, the most unusual of the colonists is the gnome Gilstrom Noblewater. He spends as much time off of the boat as on it, riding his dolphin Persephone to scout for trouble (such as it is on the open sea) and just to explore. His role appears to be initially as a protector, since he can ride out into the water around the colony, but Ramona hopes that with his help perhaps the colony might be able to attract a pod of dolphins to keep more dangerous ocean life away while keeping the tastier fish around.

-----------------------------------

Over the course of the six week journey, Ramona takes time to visit with each colonist. She asks each of you to tell her more about yourself, particularly things that wouldn't have been on the brief dossier she was given by the Bountiful Venture Company.

Give me a brief dialogue with Ramona. This is your chance to let her know how you are special and unique so she can best make use of your skills.


Level 50 GM

Also, I posted portraits of the NPCs mentioned above.


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive
Letter wrote:
Good luck, colonist!

Arcilde actually smiled as she laid the letter aside. "Assistant?" Not "slave" or "acolyte" or "sacrifice ta be worked ta death because our god ain't half an ass"--"assistant." That sounded so much...friendlier. Building a new colony wouldn't be easy, sure, but it would well be worth the work. "Assistant Arcilde. Arcilde the Assistant." The more she said it, the more she liked it.

But first things first. She grabbed a piece of paper to jot down all her gear, remembered the tools that were still at the shop, and grabbed two more pieces, just to be sure. She'd have to go back to the shop before she sent the response, to make sure she accounted for everything. And finish the last two sconces for the set she'd promised Councilwoman Hermedas. And make Feran two dozen sling bullets—cold iron, to replenish his stock. And she'd been thinking of making Ayden two chakrams for her birthday. And--

Oh. Right. She also had to pack!

The next few days flew past like bats on fire: a raucous cacophony of frantic activity with no power on earth strong enough to get them under control. And lots and lots of random fires starting everywhere.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily's cabin is an odd one to be sure as Ramona looks around. If she didn't know she was in her own damn ship, she'd think that she was in the mwangi expanse. In one corner of the room Lily holds out her hands, coaxing a seed from the soil, cooing to it softly like she was guiding a bird out of it's egg. As the first leaves flourish from the tiny plant, Lily gives a sigh and stands with a stretch.

Sorry to make you meet me down here boss. I underestimated just how harsh the salt air would be on the plants, and it's requiring more effort to keep the babies to their schedule so they'll be ready when we hit landfall.

She walks over to what should have been a cot, but instead has been retrofitted into a gardenbox filled with soft loamy dirt. Ramona has to wonder where EXACTLY was Lily sleeping if not in her cot, but that was hardly the most pressing question.

So, boss, I'm gonna be straight forward with you. Some of the other farmers keep hassling me to teach them my magic, and I'd love to. If this was a spell I could teach, I'd have every farmer growing like I can before fall harvest so that the entire colony could eat like kings.

She plucks one of her ever present grass stalks from her dress and chews on it.

But I can't. I'm not as educated as some, but I've checked every library in Andorran that would let me through the doors and every mage who would take a minute to study me. My magic isn't arcane that you can learn, and it's not divinely granted to me by a god you can also ask the favor from.

She pulls the stalk from her teeth and taps her chest.

Far as the mage types can tell? It comes straight from me. So I'm not gonna minotaur s!!! you. I can grow a LOT of food. But I'm just one woman, and my magic is only so powerful. If we hit hard times, there are only gonna be so many people I can keep alive.

She walks over to a bush and sighs.

We're gonna need to clear enough land for the farms, and fast, to support us. And here is where I really come in.

She holds out her hand, and the bush shudders and then almost... falls apart, as if hacked to pieces by thousands of tiny razors, leaving only a bush a quarter of the size.

I can prune as well as coax growth. I can help clear out some of the denser stuff, and help clear out area's for the colony. I can't take out a tree, not yet, but undergrowth will be no problem.

She turns to the boss again.

All I ask is that you listen to me if I tell you it's a bad idea to clear an area, or tell you to not take away to much. You don't treat the land right, it's gonna buck you worse than a bronco stung by a bee, and I've been studying up on how to keep that from happening.

She then sighs and rubs the back of her head.

So... um... there is... one last thing... I don't like fighting much... like, real fighting, where somebody might die that is. Wrestlin and such is fun, but.... gah, sorry. Here.

She sighs as she holds up her hand, and tendrils of plant and wood grow across her arm as she points it at a chair in the corner. She closes her eyes for a moment, takes a deep breath, and then opens them. As she does so, the wood on her arm suddenly becomes sharp as needles and jettisons out, filling the chair with splinters the size of arrows.

If I concentrate, I can do that as far as a longbow shot. And I'm still getting down the knack for it, so I think as we go, I'll be stronger. I don't like it... but, if our lives are on the line, I'll do it. Just remember... in the end, I'm a farmer, not a warrior like Hawk. The further you keep the things you want dead away from me, the more useful I'll be.

Sorry that the dialogue became more of a monologue. I hate assuming how characters that aren't mine might react to things, it's why I don't do fan-fiction writing. ;P


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

=====
Boarding the ship
=====

Even with the broad-brimmed hat, Arcilde squinted into the dawning sun. The Peregrine's deck was bustling with activity. There were far more people here than there were last night, when she'd brought over the 5 boxes of tools and settled them in the hold. She shifted the backpack that carried her traveling gear, adjusted her chain mail, and heading toward the gangplank.

As she came closer, she realized that most of the noise and motion came from two women who seemed to be having a fight on the deck. Or seizures? Or—fighting off rats, maybe? They were jumping around making strange noises, at least. She hurried over to see if they needed help, but a gnome got there first and seemed to get them calmed down.

Seeing that the women didn't need help after all, Arcilde tried to slipped past them, staying out of their way. Maybe she could get below decks before the sun got too bright…


Level 50 GM
Lily Freefield wrote:
Sorry that the dialogue became more of a monologue. I hate assuming how characters that aren't mine might react to things, it's why I don't do fan-fiction writing. ;P

Nope, that was great! It does exactly what I wanted.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

“Are you OK with a little sea spray, ma’am? Because I was going to propose a picnic for our interview, out along the bowsp’rit in the netting Mr Raerg has just rehung.”

Gervase smiles. “It’s such a beautiful day, and we’ll have a good view of that dolphin pod racing the Peregrin's bow-wave, that Gilstrom reported at two bells.”

“Perhaps he and Persephone may make an appearance?”

☸ ☸ ☸

Once settled comfortably on their enormous mesh ‘picnic blanket’, the wind teasing her flying braids, a relaxed Gervase is happy to open up to her new supervisor.

“It’s going OK with Anya. But let’s face it. I’m an unknown quantity and I suspect she’s used to working alone.”

Gervase *shrugs* “Once she realizes I’m keen to learn and not afraid to do the dirty jobs, I think she’ll come around. Some folk just need a little time.”

“I was trying to forge a relationship with Calewick the Blackmith. (Forge did you smoke that one, ma’am?) To sort out more steel wire for my bows. But he can’t seem to decide where my stuff should sit on his priority list.”

“I actually didn’t realize there was another smith on board. I thought Mistress Arcilde was a scrivener or wizard or something, until Lily set me straight. I’m going to make an effort to catch up with her shortly.”

“The only other concern I’ve got is the lack of space to exercise properly. Pushups, situps and races up the rigging are fine. But not too many have volunteered to take me on with harpoon and club.”

Gervase shakes her head, clearly unhappy. “So between that, crafting of my new shortbow and sleep, I’ve rarely been able to train for more than 10 hours per day!”


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Sorry guys, I'm normally all-posts in the few first days but work has been insane.

====================
With Gervase and Lily
====================

Gilstrom blinks as Lily grows a seed in her hand. "Wait, wha? That's incredible how did yo---" He then gets distracted again as Gervase lays down her challenge. "Well arm-wrestle, clearly. I am second only in strength of limb in strength of heart!"

He puffs up and freezes. Did that sound stupid? Maybe. No, work with it Gilstrom you fool. The ladies love it when you're earnest. "Yeah, arm wre--- WOW LOOK AT THAT DWARF! Hi! Hi! I'm Gilstrom!"

Arm Wrestling if it happens: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

===================
Out on the open sea
===================

Gilstrom is well in his element once the ship takes off, and is sure to call Persephone over and get her to dance on the water for the crew. He's gregarious and outgoing, and also spends time he he isn't out on the open water helping out with the crew, knowing there's always work to do on a ship.

After he's settled into a routine, he finally gets to have a proper chat with Ramona.

---

Gilstrom lounges in some basic comfortable clothes as he meets with Ramona on the poop in the evening. He's damp and happy after catching a particularly fantastic wave on his excursions with Persephone.

"Oh! Well, some more information about me? I'd be glad to, Ramona, Hrm. Well. Well, I came from a boring family as far as gnomes go. Nice little community of us, fisher folk. Learned to love the water there. Not sure how much you know about my people, but we need new experiences or schchjkk" he draws his finger across his throat. "Bleaching's a bad way to go. Not for me. So I think I need something new, and I think I need some discipline. So I join the Andoran navy, learn to become a sailor and learn to fight. See - ya don't get bleached when you're young. Happens in middle age. So if I get the boring stuff out of the way early - and trust me the navy is boring - I'll learn some good habits and not just wander around. I met Persephone out there. The name was a joke but I couldn't think of a better one. She liked me, I like her, and so we made a team."

He clambers up onto a box to stare out into the open waters. "So I decide to become a knight. not a real one - the real kind are boring. My kind of knight. I got this helmet so people'd recognize me and spent the last while going up and down the coast helping folks out with Persephone. See, I needed purpose so I didn't just go around aimless, and that gave me purpose. But this... this is what I was meant for." He raps the hull. "Azlant is new. I'll always have something new to find. Getting stuck on an island with the same people is a scary thought to a gnome, but that's just the base we work off of. And I'll protect your folks. People need to fish, and they need to travel. I'll keep them safe because they deserve to be safe. And I'll have fun doing it."


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

Arcilde thought for a moment before answering Ramona. Special? Tha most special thing about me is me eyes. I can see further in tha dark than most beasties can, so few can match me as a night watchman. Beyond that...

She shrugged. I'm stronger than most, but na tha strongest. Same wi' faster and tougher, too. I ha' a bit o' magic, thanks to tha Golden Bulwark, and I'm a fair hand at the forge. She thought back to the day Gwendolyn urged her to apply to the colony. What was it she said? People ha' told me I'm tha hardest worker they've ever seen. Head down, finish quick, start tha next task.

Arcilde lowered her eyes as her cheeks darkened in embarrassment. Truth be told, I ha been well lazy since I left the tapest--I mean, my home. Mueritt, my ol' master, woulda whipped me raw by now. She smirked and swept her hand across her worktable, still covered in unfinished scrolls. This is a--what's tha word?--a holiday?

Anyway...I'll do whate'er needs doin', wi' no complaint, and I'll do me sworn best t' keep tha others safe. And all I ask... Arcilde paused and took a deep breath as she found the courage to continue. ...All I ask is that ye ne'er lie t' me. Trust is a fragil' thing--easy broke and hard t' mend. If there's som'tin' ye don' wish me t' know, by gods, just say so!

She winced slightly as she turned back to Ramona. Time was, speaking like that to her clan leader would get her a swift reminder of how he earned the name "Ironwhip". But she managed to actually say it this time. Ayden would be proud. I hope I ha' na caused offense by speakin' me mind, ma'am.


Level 50 GM

Not going to play out individual conversations with Ramona; I got what I was looking for, so assume she was friendly and appreciative with each of you.
---------------------------------------
One long week at sea becomes another, and another, until finally, on day 44 of the voyage, the lookout on first watch calls out "Land ho! Ancorato in view!"

A few hours later, the Peregrine sails into a natural bay with a sandy beach within rowing distance for the ship’s boats. As the crew begins to untie one of the smaller boats to lower it into the water, the sailors pass a spyglass among themselves and finally hand it back to the captain. Captain Jacob Markosi peers at the island for a moment before grunting and handing the spyglass to expedition leader Ramona Avandth. “You should see this,” he says quietly.

Ramona accepts the spyglass and peers toward the shore. When she lowers the scope, she is clearly distressed but trying to hide her worry. She smiles and tells the gathered colonists to begin preparing to disembark.

As people start moving around, she comes to each of you and asks you to join her in her cabin.

Once there, she tells you, “Something is wrong. Nobody’s in sight. There’s no smoke from cook fires or the smithy. Some of the buildings look burned out."

She shakes her head and continues. “Sailors can’t keep their mouths shut. Soon all the other colonists are going to hear about this—if they can’t see for themselves already—and things could become… tense.”

"I'm going to have the captain sail us to a secondary landing point, one of the alternate sites that had been considered for the colony. I'd like the three of you," she indicates Arcilde, Gervase, and Lily, "to accompany Gilstrom on a scouting mission to the colony. You have unique skills and magic that may be useful in determining what exactly is going on, and I'll need the few actual soldiers with me to help keep everyone else calm as the rumors start to fly."

"Once you have checked out the area, you can make your way up the coast to meet us. I'll have to make a decision as to whether to bring everyone back here or not, depending on what you find. Returning to Andoran, or even Cheliax, is out of the question. There aren't enough supplies on the ship to support all of us for another journey."

"This is a bit above and beyond what you expected to be put to when you boarded. Are you willing to help me out?"


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Although Gilstrom is a navy veteran, forty-four days on a ship with the same people is maddening to the poor gnome. Cheerful and outgoing in the first week or so, by the end of the first month he's searching desperately for anything new to do and getting annoying. Fishing and encountering a lone whale keeps him busy for a while, but he's stir-crazy by the time land is spotted.

----

As the lookout shouts that land has been sighted, Gilstrom rushes to the bow with the others. He hasn't clued in that something is worng until he's taken aside by Ramona.

---

Gilstrom rigidly composes himself as he gets the bad news. "Wait the colony is..." He lowers his voice. "Burned out houses? No activity? Hrm. Enemy raid, probably humanoids. But what humanoids? Who lives out here? Maybe too people for slaves - I wouldn't want to contemplate the alternatives."

He blinks as she asks if he's willing to help. "Of course! Why wouldn't I?" He looks at the others. "You have no problem, right? We'll find who--or whatever caused this and ensure the safety of the colony."


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Gervase waits to enter the Ramona’s cabin with Lily. She wears her backpack and carries all her combat gear, including the composite shortbow she finished crafting 4 days ago.

“Of course, Ma’am. Have you got a map of Talmandor’s Bounty we can have? What’s the leader’s name?”

Interlude: Arm Wrestle:

Gilstrom wrote:
“I am second only in strength of limb in strength of heart!”

“Pretty words, Ser Gilstrom.”

Gervase spits in both her hands before offering him her right. “Let’s see if you can back them up.”

arm wrestle: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Gilstrom wrote:
“Yeah, arm wre--- WOW LOOK AT THAT DWARF!”

Gilstrom’s sudden cry, distracts Gervase – but not enough to affect the result of the match.

Did he do that on purpose?

The ranger’s eyes ⚡flash⚡ something feral. Her face reflects disbelief, horror, WHITE HOT RAGE and sorrow. But in a split-second it's gone. like it was never there.

“And for the winner …” Gervase congratulates Gilstrom genuinely on his victory.

**Thigh-clapping Drum Roll**

“A lifetime supply of dolphin wax! Courtesy of our good friends at Handy Haversacks Fifth Avenue!”

Gervase grins at the gnome. “Clearly we're in good *ahem* hands while you’re around, Gilstrom.”


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Interlude: Interview with the Warpriest:

*Knockity-Knock-Knock*

“Have you got a moment, Mistress Arcilde? WOW! That is a metric butt-tonne of scrolls you’ve written!”

Gervase’s tone is respectful, like she hates to disturb the dwarf. “I wanted to talk to you about the supply of steel wire for my bow-crafting efforts ...”

The ranger rambles on for some time about her dissatisfaction with Luetin Calewick.

“Anyway, if you could remember me in your priority list, Mistress Arcilde that would be fab.”

"And to show you I’m genuine about building our relationship, I would be happy to craft you a bow for cost, or you can have the first bow I’ve made once I make a new one."

Gervase shyly produces the composite shortbow she’s just finished and passes it to Arcilde to inspect.

“Longer term, I’ve been thinking about a commercial bow-crafting business ... and maybe a sawmill. Perhaps the Church of Erastil or Abadar could finance it? It would be great if you would consider coming on board with me.”

“I mean I want Lily to be my partner too, but I’d hate for us to fall out over something stupid that’s business-related. Apparently it happens all the time …”

Gervase halts and smiles embarrassedly. “Sorry, I’m rambling again.”

“I dunno, Mistress Arcilde. There’s just something about you that makes me feel … safe. Like I can tell you anything and you’d never betray my trust.”

She smiles again. "Anyway, thank-you for listening to me. I’ll let you get back to your work."

"Oh and you’re welcome to drop by my cabin anytime for a chat with Lily and I. Catch ya!"


Level 50 GM
Gervase Goldhawk wrote:
“A lifetime supply of dolphin wax! Courtesy of our good friends at Handy Haversacks Fifth Avenue!”

Don't make promises unless you can deliver! :-)


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Meanwhile, in the relatively distant past...:

Gilstrom looks up at the much, much larger human as she grins at him cockily. Now I lack any kind of meaningful leverage because... well, her arm is longer than mine. And - great gears she's built like a steak.
How am I supposed to beat that???

He salutes to Gervase a little awkwardkly before he places his far tinier hand in her giant mitt. Gilstrom meets her eyes and the test is on! And the he sees the dwarf. Apparently his distraction is far greater than Gervase's and in a second he's actually won an arm-wrestling match against a human.

There's a pregnant pause as Gilstrom sees a variety of expression play across Gervase's face as a series of different emotions play across Gilstrom's. Shock, delight, SUPER AWKWARD EMBARASSMENT and then finally a certain classy composure.

"Madam, it was my pleasure. I promise I will not Lord this over you at every opportunity I have for the duration of our stay at the colony which very well may be the rest of our lives." He grins, and then lets out a squeal of delight as she mentions the dolphin wax.

"HOW DID YOU KNOW?! Although, to be honest a drink would be fine. Ooh! I hope that dwarf brought some alcohol. They're good for that. Also they are reliable paperweights and/or doorstops."


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily nods.

I'm in captain, no worries. We sail or sink together after all. Just drop us in as close as you safely can, we'll take care of the rest.

She nods to Hawk.

I've seen her fight, I know she and Gilstrom will keep me and our priest here safe.

A tale of rescue:

Lily panted as she ran, turning around and concentrating her will to lance out a shard of wood that would have shredded a man. But the THING chasing her was no man, and the lance of wood seemed merely to offend it's sensibilities than slow it down, as it leaped at her with tentacles waving, it's many eye stalks all staring down at her with a combination of madness and hunger. She could feel the tentacles gripping her, her hands, her legs, her throat, crushing the wind out of her chest, squeezing so tight she can hear her bones creak, the eyes closing in on her, staring at her. She tries to pull the tentacles from her throat are futile, and her vision goes red as she croaks, trying to breath in any air at all. She can feel her skin go purple as the blood stops flowing to her brain... she can see it bleeding from her lance wounds though... if only... she had... one... more shot...

Please... she whispers... or thought she whispered softly Please... anyone... anyone who can hear me... gods... spirits... please... I don't... want... to...

Suddenly, the squeezing stops. It takes a moment for her brain to understand that the blood spewing from it's chest comes not from her own lances, but from a steel point almost the size of her palm. It suddenly yanks back, and she feels it release as it's pulled from her. She falls over on her side, choking and trying to bring back air into her lungs, but her body unwilling to do so. She slumps into the dirt, looking to the side... her savior stands over the abomination, thrusting her weapon into it again and again and again, blood spraying across her body and long blonde hair, shining like gold in the sunlight.

Her body gives up, decides consciousness is a failed mission, and as her vision slowly fades the woman draws to a full height, sunlight beaming like a halo of glory from behind her. Her last thoughts as her vision grows dark is...

You... sent me... an... angel...

Hope you don't mind the slight liberty hawk.


Level 50 GM

Ramona shows you a map she has pinned to the wall, on which several locations are marked. Pointing to a large bay on the southwest side, she says, "This is Talmandor's Bounty." She points to a spot in the northwest. "This is what I've called "site B". That's where I'll have the captain take us. It's about a half-day's walk from here, about the same if you row along the coast. I'll sketch out something for you to follow while you get your gear together." Site B has been marked on the map in the slideshow.

"I'll have the captain lower a small boat for you to row out there. Gil, I know you're eager, but do please wait for the rest of them before you rush over. We don't know what's going on, and I don't want anyone by themselves for now."

Make a note of what gear you will have physically on you as you row to the island, and what will be stowed on the ship.


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

Conversation with Hawk:

Gervase wrote:
...butt-tonne of scrolls!

Arcilde grins. Oh, tha scribin' be easy. It's castin' tha spells that slows me down.

She listens to the young woman's frustrations about the other smith. Yer ask be simple enough--I don' know why he balks like that. Could it be he just wants t' make ye talk to him more? Anyway, I have tha tools in tha hold. I can get ye a few test pieces before we sight land.

She examines the shortbow and whistles in admiration. I'm better with metals than wood, but this is a fine piece, Hawk. I'd be thrilled t' ha one like it. Per'aps a bit heavier, though, since I'm na as...sleek as most humans.
Arcilde could use a composite longbow, +2 strength.

Gervase wrote:
It would be great if you would consider coming on board with me.

The dwarf pursed her lips for a moment, then spoke carefully when she answered. Tell ye true, Hawk, I know nothin' about business. I ne'er had t' deal with buyin' and sellin'. Until I came t' Almas, I ne'er e'en touched money. I'm happy t' work wi' ye, but I won' be able t' help with tha...um...tha books? Is that tha right word?


LN Female Dwarf Warpriest 2 | HP 8/17 | AC 18 T12 F16 | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init. +2 | Percep +3, Sense Motive +7 90 ft darkvision, light sensitive

Arcilde listens to Ramona's concerns and nods. I'll pack me gear.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

“Gil, you and Persephone would make excellent underwater scouts for our jolly boat though. Just in case something tries to ambush us in the water and tip the boat over.”

Lily wrote:
I've seen her fight, I know she and Gilstrom will keep me and our priest here safe.

Gervase gives Lily a smile and her arm a squeeze.

Flashback with Gilstrom:
Gilstrom wrote:
“I promise I will not Lord this over you … for the rest of our lives.”

*Grins through the pain* Oooohh … What have I done?

Flashback with Arcilde:
While talking about Luetin Calewick, Arcilde wrote:
Could it be he just wants t' make ye talk to him more?

“Could be I s’pose.”

Gervase frowns. “But there’s only a limited pool of people to talk to anyway. I would have thought the success of the colony would be more important right now.”

Arcilde wrote:
I'm happy t' work wi' ye, but I won' be able t' help with tha...um...tha books? Is that tha right word?

“Aye! The books.”

Gervase smiles. How good is this! Going into business with the hardest worker on the ship!

“Lily or I could sort those out. And we’ll have to scout for a site that’s reasonably close to the forest …”

The ranger catches herself gushing again. “Sorry, Arcilde. I guess those details can wait, huh?”

@GM, Gervase is taking everything except two lots of Taldan yew, steel wire and catgut (everything not in blue in her gear list).

Encumbrance figure is up-to-date.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily, hoists a pack and prepares to set sail with the team.

Updated Lily's page to reflect carrying her stuff with her and leaving her store of seeds and dirt on the ship.


Level 50 GM

GM Screen:

Gilstrom: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Persephone: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Gervase: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Arcilde: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 2 = 12
Lily: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
GM1: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15
GM2: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

Gilstrom dives off the ship and calls Persephone, while the sailors lower the rest of you down in a small rowboat. The bay’s waters are calm, with only a gentle rocking of the ship’s boat. The shore is approximately three hundred feet to the east of the Peregrine, with a lonely dock built off a sandy beach.

Just as you are nearing the dock, Lily sees a shadow moving underwater. Gilstrom, during a brief dive, can make out the form clearly.

Gilstrom only:
It looks like a bizarre hybrid between an octopus and a goblin. It is armed with a spear and swimming quickly toward the rowboat.
Gilstrom only - Knowledge (local) DC 11:
This appears to be a gryndylow, an amphibious creature know for entangling or tripping its prey with its tentacles.

Welcome to your first aquatic combat!
The water where you are is about 12 feet deep; the change in color represents a rise to about a 5 foot total depth. A single character can use a full round action to continue rowing the boat, which will travel up to 30 feet. If no one rows, it will move 10 feet on its own from momentum. I placed you in the boat randomly; feel free to change who is in the center in the rower position.

Your counters have elevation markers; "+0" is sea/ground level, "-1" is the first square below sea level, and so on. If you dive, update your counter appropriately.

If you stay seated, any attacks you make are at -2 penalty. If you stand, you must make a DC 10 Acrobatics check. If you fail, you get a DC 10 Reflex save to sit back down, otherwise you fall overboard in the direction you were attacking.

The water is a bit murky, which allowed the creature a stealth check; Lily and Gilstrom can take surprise round actions, then I will roll initiative.

I included on the map a link to a spreadsheet where I have the Pythagoream Theorem programmed in so you can calculate distances quickly in both 2 and 3 dimensions.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Good call on the theorem! I'm stealing that.

Gilstrom wheels around Persephone as he sees the goblin...octopus...thing. Kicking into the dolphin, she sets off at an incredible rate through the water, briefly skipping over the surface to let him call out a warning.

"GOBLINPUS TO YOUR SOUTH! YEEEEEAAOAO-blurble"

He sinks back into the water as he heads into a dead charge. It's a beautiful sight, unfortunately his goggles get flipped up on his head and he's briefly blinded by seawater, completely missing.

Lance+Charge!: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8 Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 5) + 4 = 15

Using my surprise round for a standard action charge.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

“What did he say?”

Gozreh wrote:
Lily and Gilstrom can take surprise round actions

Keeping her hands firmly on the oars, Gervase looks over her shoulder at Lily. “Can you see what he’s on about?”

“How many are there?”


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

That thing is cool! Me likey!

Lilly grunts as she turns over and leans against the boat, holding out her arm.

Just one that I can see.... Shelyn save me, why is it whenever your around Hawk things have tentacles? I HATE tentacles!

The shard of wood grows along her wrist as she uses it to try and sight along her wrist, puffing a breath of air out of her mouth to blow away a wisp of red hair before the wooden shard lances forward towards the thing.

Wood Blast: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Unfortunatly, she miscalculates the shot, badly, and it splashes into the water. Blushing as red her hair, she tries to save face.

It's... about over there.... ish... where my lance is bobbing up... yeah, that's right.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

“I gather your travels never took you to Minkai, Lily?”


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Nah, not that far.

She continues her aiming as she tries to sight along her arm again.

I only just made it through the inner sea region... why, more tentacles in Minkai? I'm starting to think you have a type.


Level 50 GM

Gilstrom charges over to the strange creature and Lily attempts to fire a wooden dart, but neither is experienced in this somewhat murky environment.

GM Screen:

Gilstrom: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Gervase: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Arcilde: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Lily: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
GM 1: 1d20 ⇒ 13
GM 2: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Gilstrom: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Persephone: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Gervase: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Arcilde: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 2 = 10
Lily: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Combat card:

Lily
-----
GM 2
Gryndylow
-----
Gilstrom
Gervase
Arcilde

As the creature dodges the gnomish assault, it comes a little closer to the surface, giving you a slightly better view. No change to combat penalties, but each of you can attempt the knowledge check to identify on your turns.

Lily is up for first full round.

---------------------
Boat combat reminder:
If you stay seated, any attacks you make are at -2 penalty. If you stand, you must make a DC 10 Acrobatics check. If you fail, you get a DC 10 Reflex save to sit back down, otherwise you fall overboard in the direction you were attacking.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily stands in the boat, trying to stabilize herself as she stands...

acro: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

She manages to stabilize herself, and holders her breath as flakes of wood from the boat and the leaves and grass on her start to float around her as she aims at the enemy again.
Gather power, Move action, standard attack infuse distance for 120 feet

Wood Blast: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

The boat rocks a little and she fires up into the air instead and swears.

Gah! I can't aim on this thing! Can someone get us to land?


Level 50 GM

Lily can't seem to get her sea legs as she fires another wooden dart into the water.

The creature in front of Gilstrom closes in and attacks him unsuccessfully, while another appears out of the murk next to the boat and stabs its spear right into Lily's outstretched arm!

Red Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Green Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Lily takes 6 damage! Seawater in an open wound! That can't feel good ...

Combat card:

Lily (6 damage)
-----
Gryndylow Green
Gryndylow Red
-----
Gilstrom
Gervase
Arcilde

Everyone is up! Either Gervase or Arcilde can spend a full round action rowing to propel 30 feet, otherwise the boat will move 15 feet. (If Arcilde takes the oars, swap places in the boat). Anyone can attempt a check to identify them.

DC 11 Knowledge (local):
This appears to be a gryndylow, an amphibious creature known for entangling or tripping its prey with its tentacles.

---------------------
Boat combat reminder:
If you stay seated, any attacks you make are at -2 penalty. If you stand, you must make a DC 10 Acrobatics check. If you fail, you get a DC 10 Reflex save to sit back down, otherwise you fall overboard in the direction you were attacking.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

Still holding his breath and getting irritated, Gilstrom backs up Persephone a little bit before he turns around and stabs!

Attack+Flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 = 18 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily cries out in pain and whirls around at the one who stabbed her, firing her dart into the water, her teeth gritted against the pain of the salt water in the wound on her arm.
acrobatics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Wood Blast: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Level 50 GM

Riding Persephone in a small circle to get room for his lance, Gilstrom stabs out, this time connecting! His lance cuts through the creature's midsection, and it begins bleeding profusely.

Lily has also had enough, and this time the pain of her wound gives her focus. Her wood shard strikes true, also leaving a bloody gash.

Well, that was fast. Combat is over! What do you do with the unconscious bodies of the two creatures?

From here you can easily row up to the dock and tie off your rowboat.

A solitary dock extends from the beach into the bay. The construction is solid and looks recent, suitable for tying off a small boat, although no watercraft are visible. The beach inclines to the east before giving way to grass and trees. Further on in that direction, buildings and a palisade wall stand on the rise.

As you get off the rowboat and look around, you realize that there are no tracks in the sand here leading to or from the colony, despite this being the only dock. You do see a wicker basket and a fishing pole lying on the dock.

GM Screen:
Gilstrom: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Persephone: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Gervase: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Arcilde: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Lily: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Coming up from underwater, Gilstrom and Persephone notice a canoe is submerged at a depth of about 10 feet.


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

As they get out of the ship, Lily steps away a few feet before kneeling down, cradling her cut arm.

Argh... Shelyn damn those tentacle monstrosities to the abyss that hurts. Any of you got some bandages? My arm is pretty messed up.

She winces again and sighs as she looks at her shirt.

I liked that shirt to...

With a closer look, you can see that the slash to Lily's arm might have killed someone with a weaker constitution, but small vines almost like a wrapping are helping her clasp together the wound.


LG Male Gnomish Oceanrider Cavalier 2 | HP 18/20 | AC 21 T15 F16 {+2 aquatic terrain} | CMB +3, CMD 15 | F +4 R +2 W +0 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive 0 | Speed 20ft (20 swim) | Challenges 1/1 | Tactician 1/1 | Gnome Magic: 4/4 | Active conditions: None

With some effort, Gilstrom hauls the creature out of the water on the tip of his lance. "YEEEACHH! What is this thing? Lily, you're hurt! Persephone, onwards." He shakes his lance and knocks it into the water.

The dolphin, pretty delighted at the brief battle scoots over to the side of the boat, clicking and chirping. "Wow! You're really good plants. How does the root system work if it's in your arm? Does that make it hurt worse or better? What does it feel like?"

Gilstrom quickly composes himself. "Oh, anyways there's a canoe underwater. Once you're on shore I'll dredge it up. We may find some clues!"

As the rowboat reaches shore, he vanishes beneath the waves before resurfacing with a rope in hand. "Someone help me with this. Are you sure you're okay Lily?"

Gilstrom will tie a rope around one of the seats of the canoe and see if Persephone can help him get it moving. once it's mobile, he'll drag it onto land for a looksee.


NG Female Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 20/20 | AC 17, T 12, F 15 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +4, R +5, W +3 | Init. +2 | Percep +7, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none
Lily wrote:
... why, more tentacles in Minkai? I'm starting to think you have a type.

Ooh! Good one, Hayseed. You’ll pay for that.

“Give us a look, Lily.”

Gervase is concerned with her bestie’s arm wound but tries to remain upbeat.

“Healing potions are officially a priority. Let’s also see if we can find any clues about what happened.”

Take 10 Survival/Perception on fishing gear/basket, tracks, interesting items: 10 + 6 = 16

“My initial thought is maybe everyone has fled or been carried off inland.”

“Gil, nice job! I’ll give you a hand with the rope.”

Take 10 Strength: 10 + 4 = 14
Take 10 Perception traps, loot: 10 + 6 = 16


NG Female Human Kineticist 2 HP 23/23 2 NL I AC 14 T12 FF12 I CMB +1 CMD 12 I F +8, R +5, W +2 I Init +8 I Percep +7 Sense Motive +2

Lily shrugs a little, wincing.

It's... a part of me. Hurts like you wouldn't believe anyways.

She stands and rips the sleeve off her arm, making a quick bandage out of the sleeve to supplement her rootwork stitches.

A healing potion would be nice... Or hey, Arcilde, your a priest right? I've heard some of you can heal wounds right up... can you do that? If not, I'll be fine until it heals up... I'll just use the other arm to aim.

1 to 50 of 824 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rinaldo's Ruins of Azlant All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.