GM Rat Sass's Age of Worms

Game Master Governayle

Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
Map of Diamond Lake
Map of Egorian
Arkaner Estate
The Road So Far...


8,851 to 8,900 of 9,844 << first < prev | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6
Mort wrote:
”If more than one wretched lot has a fragment, we don't want them all coming at us at once.”

Eri gets a little pale when Mort says this.

I didn’t think of that. He’s right. That seems possible and awful.

”We have fought hard against this evil. I think it’s going to get harder before we are through. We’ve already lost a couple of lives along the way. Eri shows his scar to punctuate the point. I’m thankful for this moment of sanctuary but we could use any help that you can provide us.”

”Also, this place is spectacular! Thanks for allowing us to breathe the free ocean air before we go back into the ground. Hopefully this trip will be only temporary.”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

The Archmage listens stoically, much like Agath does, before he speaks.

" “The Age of Worms is foretold in a prophecy that speaks of a coming apocalypse, an age of death and writhing doom. Normally such rumors should be dismissed—doomsday prophecies are typically the product of nothing more sinister than madness."

"This prophecy is different. It can be traced back, through various incarnations in books, tablets, and carvings on walls, for over two thousand years. It does not change in content during this time—it has not evolved through clumsy attempts of fanatics desperate to reword its predictions to support their agendas."

"This alone would be enough for it to merit further study. But even more interesting is the fact that in the last few years several of its predictions have actually come true. In one prophecy, it predicts the ‘ruin by fire of a city built in a bowl in the spire’s shadow.’ Just last year, far to the south, the city of Cauldron— built in the caldera of a dormant volcano only a few miles from Kyuss’ one-time home, the Spire of Long Shadows—was nearly destroyed by a volcanic eruption."

"Other prophecies speak of the recrudescence of the worm-eaten dead, the recovery of potent artifacts from ancient tombs, the destructive manifestation of an immense demonic tree in a distant city across the sea, the arrival of a ‘Fane of Scales’ amid a storm of wind and fire, and the cleansing of an evil taint from a city besieged in the past by giants. These events have all come to pass, and quite recently."

"In fact, there are only two prophecies remaining to be fulfilled." Manzorian moves a couple of parchments on his desk, locating the relevant one. "The first of these mentions the reunification of a tripartite spirit—I assume this is a nod to the goals of the Ebon Triad. The second remaining prophecy reads: ‘And on the eve of the Age of Worms, a hero of the pit shall use his fame to gift a city to the dead.’ I believe this last line may have been speaking of Loris Raknian and his recent attempt to sacrifice thousands at the end of the Champion’s Games. Yes, I’ve heard of this, and I know you played a role in its prevention. It remains to be seen if your actions actually made a difference or not, but it would be foolhardy to assume that those who are trying to fulfill the prophecies will abate their efforts.”

He lets his initial observations sink in, before he speaks again. Manzorian looks to Mortimer, who has been identified by those speaking as the Bearer. "I would like to see the Rod, or what you have of it. Your Fragment."


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa listens and says nothing. She does look to Mort to produce his Rod.

This is exciting. I should want to hear about this!


Male, Gnome

"Foretold huh? That doesn't sound good." Ascaria listens as the Archmage lays out the trouble.

While Ascaria is worried about the prophecy, he's not too fearful. They already stopped one of the prophecies, maybe they can stop the other too. Certainly they need some leads to go after the enemy, but he's confident that with all the smart people around here, someone will be able to give them guidance - likely the Archmage.

He smiles and waits for Mort to produce the Rod.


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)

Mortimer's eyes glaze over slightly as Manzorian launches into the History of Everything, though he does shudder at the mention of "apocalypse", "volcanic eruption" and "Raknian".

Manzorian wrote:
"I would like to see the Rod, or what you have of it. Your Fragment."

Mortimer steps forward respectfully, reaches into his Haversack and pulls out the rod segment and holds it out for Manzorian's inspection.

"Is there a way to reverse the scry property? I mean, if the smaller fragments know where this segment is, is there some way that we could we use this segment to find the smaller fragments?"


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

GM Rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 17

The Archmage raises two fingers, middle and pointer, making a quick symbol in the air in front of himself, before taking the Fragment from the giant's hand.

Spellcraft DC 15:

He's cast Detect Magic.

His eyes enlarge, and his massiter muscles stiffen in his jaw, but he doesn't succumb like the gnome did. "This is... certainly impressive." He looks up from it, to look upon each of your faces, as if to understand who among you shares his sentiment.

He continues to hold it, turning it over in his hand, most dexterously. "It is its own beacon. Why its largest piece cannot gather its smaller brothers unto itself, I do not know, Mortimer. So many stories. How, after a time, a Fragment will simply disappear, only to return to a previous place of rest. How powerful it must have been, when fully intact. The magics that shattered within it, still suffusing its parts..." It is clear upon the Archmage's face that he is forgetting time. The time he seems disinclined to waste.

"I surmise it would take something akin to a Mind Blank to prevent a lesser Fragment from revealing the larger Fragment's whereabouts." Manzorian sets the Fragment at the front of his desk, considering.

"Where was I...? Oh, yes. The Ebon Triad seems to be involved, at least on some level, with most of the events associated with these prophecies. Their involvement merits further investigation, although I believe that they may in fact themselves be little more than agents for a larger power—perhaps Kyuss Himself. Certainly, their goal of unifying Asmodeus, Urgathoa, and Lamashtu into one overgod seems ridiculous, although as far as the Age of Worms prophecies about this tripartite spirit are concerned, it seems that the actual manifestation of an Overgod is not what is being predicted as much as it is predicting the heretical beliefs of the cultists themselves. From what you've gathered, Raknian was less likely a member of the Ebon Triad, as he came to possess the Apostolic Scrolls, which pertains more directly to Kyuss for its summoning of the ulgurstasta, or Spawn of Kyuss. His relationship with that priestess, however... It would be good to interrogate Kendra...” The Archmage pats his hands together, stilling his mind.

"Kyuss is an enigma—what we know of him is sparse. We know that he was once a mortal, a powerful priest who ascended to godhood. He ruled a city named Kuluth-Mar far to the south, and was famed for the creation of undead. A former companion of mine, a wizard named Balakarde, made an extensive study of Kyuss and his ways. You might even say he was obsessed with Kyuss.”


Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6

"Can we talk to Balkarde? Did he write a book on the subject? Or might it be more than curiosity he has for Kyuss? Do we need to seek him out and stop him?"

Manzorian wrote:
"he Ebon Triad seems to be involved, at least on some level, with most of the events associated with these prophecies. Their involvement merits further investigation, although I believe that they may in fact themselves be little more than agents for a larger power"

"Maybe we can find out what their part is when we disrupt their ability to act. Like, we should destroy their ability to exert their will."


Male, Gnome

When the man casts his spell the gnome grins, waiting. Impressed he did not falter more than he did, he smiles glad this man is an ally.

"Yeah, we pounded the Triad when we encountered them, but they were tough at the time. I imagine their leadership is even tougher to keep those assorted cultists in line. We've tried to get to Kendra a few times, but haven't had good opportunities. As much as I'd like to question her, I also want to know what she has birthed. I wouldn't put something demonic past her..."

He shudders with disgust.

Ascaria agrees with Eri, "Yes, this Balkarde would be good to talk to if we can. Why do you say he's a former companion?"


hp 145/138 (DR 5/B 50/50) | AC 19/13/16 | CMD 19 | F +15 R +9 W +20 (+2 vs enchantments, fear and death effects; immune to sleep) | (Ch: 3/3 S: 10/10 Ex: 3/3 B: 1|1 L1: 7/7|6/6+2/2 L2: 7/7|6/6 L3: 7/7|6/6+1/1 L4: 5/5|5/5 L5: 5/5|4/4 L6: 4/4|3/3) | Ini+1 | Senses+20
Skills:
Acro+5,App+11,Bluff+0,Dip+14,Dis+1/11,Escap+16,Heal+8,Know(Arcana+25,Local+ 21,Planes+25,Religion+27,Other+13),Linguis+11,Perf.Wind+3,Prof+6,S.Motives+ 8,SoHand+9,Spellcraft+25,Stealth+1,Concentration+21|+16
Old Half-elf Wizard 3/Cleric (ecclesithurge) 3/Theurge 9 | HR 6 | mage armor 10h, defending bone 10h, see invisibility 2 h, heroism 2 h, heroes feast 12 h, air walk 140 min

Eidi observes the chess and attempts to analyze who is winning the game.
Int: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
But well, he gets absorbed by the conversation too early.

Eidi nods as Manzorian speaks the story of the prophecy "Me and Celeste were there when the eruption happened and the tree was unleashed. We have been investigating this for decades now, but nothing seems conclusive. I am growing confident this are all unconnected events product of madness and desire to give interpretation to a doomsday prophecy." the half-elf firmly holds his staff "For example, Moreto, who we killed just past week, he was a chosen from the depths below, whose goal was to give a place to his ghoul citizens. If discovered by more of this fanatics they could have given him all the needed resources to achieve the completion of this passage of the prophecy. This kind of behavior of the fanatics, trying to make all this true, that is what we should worry off."

"I totally agree about Kyuss. We should look to uncover more about him" were a moment before was just Eidi's staff you discover now the elder's cookie pot while he places one of the cookies in his mouth "What happened to Balakarde?"


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa looks around at everyone talking. She doesn’t know what to say or do.

”So what do we do next?”


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)
GmSass wrote:
His eyes enlarge, and his massiter muscles stiffen in his jaw, but he doesn't succumb like the gnome did. "This is... certainly impressive." He looks up from it, to look upon each of your faces, as if to understand who among you shares his sentiment.

Mortimer pulls on his cowlick as he notices the change in Manzorian's aspect, then nods in agreement. It did something to Canary, too... didn't it.

GmSass wrote:
"I surmise it would take something akin to a Mind Blank to prevent a lesser Fragment from revealing the larger Fragment's whereabouts." Manzorian sets the Fragment at the front of his desk, considering.

"What?!" Mortimer says, giving up on trying to sort out the meaning of the Archmage's words with regard to Rod Magic. He reaches out to the rod segment and gingerly holds it up, looking at it. "That sounds like a desperate thing to do! Don't blank its mind!" He continues to look at the rod as if he was expecting something to happen. After a brief moment when nothing does, he shrugs and gently places it back into the Haversack.

GmSass wrote:
"Certainly, their goal of unifying Asmodeus, Urgathoa, and Lamashtu into one overgod seems ridiculous [ ... ]"

Mortimer's eyes begin to glaze over again as Manzorian speculates and deduces, his head spinning slightly from all of the droning.

"Yah, yah!" he cries impatiently. "They think therefore things are... whatever! Did you just also say that they might be agents of Kyuss himself?!"

Eri wrote:
"Can we talk to Balkarde?"

"If he has more insight to Kyuss," Mort says more thoughtfully as his tone shifts from intolerance to serious consideration, "maybe we can predict what Loris and Kendra's next move is supposed to be!"


Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6
Mort wrote:
"That sounds like a desperate thing to do! Don't blank its mind!"

"Nah, Mort. It's ok. That would be a protection spell. It just looks blank from the outside. It's not actually blank."


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)
Eri wrote:
"Nah, Mort. It's ok. That would be a protection spell. It just looks blank from the outside. It's not actually blank."

Oh? "So... you're saying... it would be as if the mind were invisible to anyone trying to see inside? ... In that case, I guess it would be O.K.."


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms
Ascaria wrote:
"Yes, this Balkarde would be good to talk to if we can. Why do you say he's a former companion?'
Eidi wrote:
"What happened to Balakarde?"

Manzorian watches Mortimer tuck away the Fragment, before turning to Ascaria. "When Balakarde learned Kuluth-Mar was the likely location of Kyuss’ divine apotheosis, he could barely restrain himself. I cautioned him against going to investigate the ruins. One does not simply teleport into an unknown region without doing some research. Yet Balakarde wouldn’t listen." The Archmage's face softens, as he reminisces.

"He left immediately, returning two weeks later with a wild look in his eye. He wouldn’t say much of what he’d found there, and before he moved on he asked me to hold on to some of his notes. He promised to return later and tell me more, but that time was short and he had to head north to follow a new lead. He vanished without a trace not long thereafter. I intended to try to track him down, but unfortunately, other events conspired to take my attention away. I suspect he is dead now. Or worse." The Archmage looks at Eidi, hoping his explanation is enough.

Sensing the next facet of discussion, Manzorian continues. "The notes Balakarde left with me are unfortunately rather sparse. They more or less confirm that Kuluth-Mar is located in the Mwangi Expanse, far to the south, and estimate that Kyuss ruled the city more than two thousand years ago from a fortress called the Spire of Long Shadows. Balakarde believed that this spire was the site of Kyuss’ ascension to godhood. Kyuss built a Ziggurat to serve as the Spire's foundation."

"Balakarde writes how the Ziggurat was a powerful magical focus for the ritual that propelled him to divinity. Much of Kyuss’ might has since left the city of Kuluth-Mar, but powerful undead servants and lingering touches of Kyuss’ own miasma make the Ziggurat a fell and dangerous place. Balakarde visited the ruined city several times, but never penetrated the Spire itself. I never found the journal pages that described his earlier visits.”


Male, Gnome

"Interesting. Do you think then that our path lies in this Kuluth-Mar? Do your notes indicate exactly where it is? I've not traveled but to here and Egorian from my village. I don't know how we'd find an abandoned city in a huge jungle..."

He starts to worry about all the sweating might take place too. Jungles are hot and sticky places. Might be time to change up some spells, if he can before they're due to arrive. He's changed spells before, but it takes some doing... Eidi can help too. he thinks to himself.


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)
GMSass wrote:
Manzorian watches Mortimer tuck away the Fragment, before turning to Ascaria.

Same Rod Segment? Percpt: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (19) + 20 = 39

Definitely. Same, quirky thing. Mortimer shrugs, gently placing the thing back into the Haversack.

Manzorian wrote:
"but powerful undead servants and lingering touches of Kyuss's own miasma make the Ziggurat a fell and dangerous place. Balakarde visited the ruined city several times, but never penetrated the Spire itself. I never found the journal pages that described his earlier visits."
Ascaria wrote:
"I don't know how we'd find an abandoned city in a huge jungle..."

"'undead servants'"? Mortimer looks towards Eidi. "Not like Rose!"

Mort thinks.

"Well, it's simple Canary, isn't it? Same thing as guiding miners but PlantClay space instead of RockClay space..." Mortimer states. ... and a machete is the one thing I DON'T have... "How "'Planty' can it be? Additional... Apothecary Herbals to keep away the really big Annoying Insects -- or some such -- is all, I guess... "Mosquitoes. I hate mosquitoes.

Mortitmer trails off lost in thought. "Has anyone been there? South I mean?! The Ziggurat and Spire?! Maybe it's still a source of Kyuss's power. Maybe if it was destroyed, we can weaken Kyuss. , and give Life hope."

Mortimer tries to remember if there is a Store in Magepoint stocked with machetes -- as one would do. There only needs to be one Store what stocks.

Mortimer thinks more.

"What -- I wonder -- compelled Balakarde to go North?"


Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6

"What are the chances we might meet Balakarde in a different form? Will knowing who he is help us defeat him?"

Would Acid Splash work similarly to a machete? What would happen if Eri was casting 0 level spells all day?

The jungle. I don't think I'll like the heat, but it might be nice to be among trees again.


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa shakes her head, confused.

"What does this have to do with the Rod and the devils that are trying to de-Rod Mort?" Solrisa asks. "Is Kyuss still around and sending devils at us? I thought Kyuss was into wurms and undead. I'm so confused why the Rod is so important."


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms
Ascaria wrote:
"Do you think then that our path lies in this Kuluth-Mar? Do your notes indicate exactly where it is? I've not traveled but to here and Egorian from my village. I don't know how we'd find an abandoned city in a huge jungle...'

"Well, from Balakarde's cartography, rudimentary as it is, places the ruins directly to the south of the City of Hungry Spires, deep within the region of the Mwangi Expanse, called the Screaming Jungle." The Archmage allows that to settle over those gathered, before he continues.

Mortimer wrote:
"Has anyone been there? South I mean?! The Ziggurat and Spire?! Maybe it's still a source of Kyuss's power. Maybe if it was destroyed, we can weaken Kyuss, and give Life hope."

"My thoughts exactly, Mortimer. Balakarde himself surveyed the area. This is how I can relate what little I just did. If we're truly set upon this road, I think it is a very strong consideration, traveling to Kuluth-Mar, and picking what knowledge can be gathered from its ancient roots. For your commitment to this purpose, I would make you an offer."

Manzorian returns to his desk, and sits, looking over his table, to Mortimer's haversack, then back to you all.

"You will continue to be hunted, should you choose to protect the Fragment. They've shown themselves quite adept at locating you, and they will likely grow more desperate as time slips away. You hold the largest Fragment, and you've seen only one possessor of a smaller fragment, I gather. If I remember correctly from what Ascaria has conveyed likely, you were beset by four bone devils first, then six, more recently. If one possessor were already growing bolder, I'd hate for you to find yourselves at the crossroads of two competing possessors. This is where I'd like to come in."

"Give me the Fragment. I will become its Protector. I think I should have better means of frustrating pursuers, given my power. In return, I will see personally to creating a powerful magical item for each of you, that will serve you in your crusade against Kyuss. One you specify, one tailored to your individual needs. What say you?" Both Agath and Manzorian regard you with a deep consideration.

Solrisa wrote:
"What does this have to do with the Rod and the devils that are trying to de-Rod Mort? Is Kyuss still around and sending devils at us? I thought Kyuss was into wurms and undead. I'm so confused why the Rod is so important."

The Archmage turns to address the maiden. "I think the Fragment has little to do directly with the matter of Kyuss. It is an unneeded burden on you all, especially if you travel to Kuluth-Mar. If you don't understand the importance of the Rod, perhaps it's best if you entrust it to me."


hp 145/138 (DR 5/B 50/50) | AC 19/13/16 | CMD 19 | F +15 R +9 W +20 (+2 vs enchantments, fear and death effects; immune to sleep) | (Ch: 3/3 S: 10/10 Ex: 3/3 B: 1|1 L1: 7/7|6/6+2/2 L2: 7/7|6/6 L3: 7/7|6/6+1/1 L4: 5/5|5/5 L5: 5/5|4/4 L6: 4/4|3/3) | Ini+1 | Senses+20
Skills:
Acro+5,App+11,Bluff+0,Dip+14,Dis+1/11,Escap+16,Heal+8,Know(Arcana+25,Local+ 21,Planes+25,Religion+27,Other+13),Linguis+11,Perf.Wind+3,Prof+6,S.Motives+ 8,SoHand+9,Spellcraft+25,Stealth+1,Concentration+21|+16
Old Half-elf Wizard 3/Cleric (ecclesithurge) 3/Theurge 9 | HR 6 | mage armor 10h, defending bone 10h, see invisibility 2 h, heroism 2 h, heroes feast 12 h, air walk 140 min

As the conversation turns out about Balakarde, Eidi comments "It is perhaps better if we first try to find Balakarde, or what has been of him. As you said, it would be terrible to land ourselves in exploration without proper information of the place. Whom were his relatives and closer acquaintances? Maybe they have clue about where he is now."

Eidi smiles at Mazorian "Oh, what if we need the fragment in our voyage? And besides, it seems better to avoid placing you into that peril as well as this beautiful city."


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa ponders giving up the Rod.

"But...but...the evil bad dragon seemed very sure that the Rod would be important to him. I thought," Solrisa looks at Mort as if he might know. She shakes her head, trying to think really good like Rae used to do.

"So...Kyuss doesn't care about the Rod?" Solrisa asks. "And isn't Kyuss a god? How are we supposed to challenge a god? I mean, the Dragon likes me, but that seems quite scary if Kyuss is waiting for us in Kuluth-Mar." Solrisa looks at the party.

"I can only protect so many people at once. And maybe not against a god. Maybe."


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms
Eidi wrote:
"It is perhaps better if we first try to find Balakarde, or what has been of him. As you said, it would be terrible to land ourselves in exploration without proper information of the place. Whom were his relatives and closer acquaintances? Maybe they have clue about where he is now."

"Well, aside from myself, I know next to nothing of relatives or closer acquaintances. The man knew very little of the social contract, preferring to while away his time in pursuit of deeper arcane truths."

Eidi wrote:
"Oh, what if we need the fragment in our voyage? And besides, it seems better to avoid placing you into that peril as well as this beautiful city."

The Archmage smiles. "They pursue the Fragment, don't they? You're presuming that I'd keep the Fragment here. I would not."

Manzorian and Agath look on, but only respond with direct questions as the Archmage waits for a group decision regarding the Rod.


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)
GmSass wrote:
Manzorian returns to his desk, and sits, looking over his table, to Mortimer's haversack, then back to you all.

Is that knowledge-greed in his eyes?

Solrisa wrote:
"But...but...the evil bad dragon seemed very sure that the Rod would be important to him. I thought,"

"Yes, that is a good point. Evil things are after this Rod segment. This Rod segment is very powerful, and we can't let it fall into the wrong hands. I believe it is a segment of the Rod of Law. We can't let them put it back together!"

GMSass wrote:
Eidi wrote:
"Oh, what if we need the fragment in our voyage? And besides, it seems better to avoid placing you into that peril as well as this beautiful city."
"They pursue the Fragment, don't they? You're presuming that I'd keep the Fragment here. I would not."

Mortimer holds up his hand. "Give us a minute, please." He opens the Haversack and cradles the Rod therein.

GmSass:

Mortimer tries to communicate with The Rod.

"Hi. Are You there? We found You, You 'belonged' to the Wind Duke, who gave us his blessing to protect You with the intention of using Your gifts to help us defeat this awful undead army of evil. This Mage wants to keep You for himself, likely to study You. I'm not sure. But what do You wish to do? Did You want to come with us, or stay here with the Mage and be studied?"


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

Mortimer:

The Rod doesn't respond in any way.


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)

Mortimer places the Rod gently back in its resting nook in the Haversack, and closes the Haversack.

"The Wind Duke gave us his blessing to carry/use this previous belonging of his, and for that reason I think of it as a loan. We're borrowing it. I personally don't feel that it is within our power to decide some other fate for the Rod."


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

"Ah. 'Borrowing' it. Well, like I said before, the Rod has a way of exerting its will, when it will. I'm not sure you have any say in its fate."

Manzorian stands to stretch, looking back at Agath. Agath gives a small shrug, which seems to give the Archmage encouragement to continue.

"I value the work I would be willing to perform in creation at 50,000 gold. For each of you."

Manzorian looks from the giant to the rest of you. "Does Mortimer speak for the rest of you?"


Male, Gnome

"Manzorian," Ascaria looks pained, "I must agree with Mort's argument. The rod came to us by way of the Wind Duke, and I'm loath to hand it over for magics - as powerful as they may be."

"We have come to believe that the rod is integral to our success in some way. Sure, it's a lighting rod, and the lighting is getting stronger, but we may require it again before this is done."

"I would consider loaning you the rod for a time so we can make our move agains the enemy unobserved as it were, but to give it to you outright - I don't think I can agree to that. Would a temporary loan so you could study the item be sufficient? Perhaps the length of our journey to Kuluth-Mar and back."

He turns to the party, "What do you think about that arrangement. It buys us some time away from prying eyes, mostly, and gives Manzorian time to study the item, if he agrees to it."


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa thinks it would be okay to loan, but also not.

"Is there someone divine we could ask what they think about this? Maybe one of the Wind Duke's servants still lives that we could ask?" Solrisa seems unsure.


Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6
Manzorian wrote:
"Give me the Fragment. I will become its Protector."

Geez are we going to have to take it from HIM next?

Canary wrote:
"Would a temporary loan so you could study the item be sufficient? Perhaps the length of our journey to Kuluth-Mar and back."

Eri has a quizzical look on his face.

"This sounds maybe ok... "


hp 145/138 (DR 5/B 50/50) | AC 19/13/16 | CMD 19 | F +15 R +9 W +20 (+2 vs enchantments, fear and death effects; immune to sleep) | (Ch: 3/3 S: 10/10 Ex: 3/3 B: 1|1 L1: 7/7|6/6+2/2 L2: 7/7|6/6 L3: 7/7|6/6+1/1 L4: 5/5|5/5 L5: 5/5|4/4 L6: 4/4|3/3) | Ini+1 | Senses+20
Skills:
Acro+5,App+11,Bluff+0,Dip+14,Dis+1/11,Escap+16,Heal+8,Know(Arcana+25,Local+ 21,Planes+25,Religion+27,Other+13),Linguis+11,Perf.Wind+3,Prof+6,S.Motives+ 8,SoHand+9,Spellcraft+25,Stealth+1,Concentration+21|+16
Old Half-elf Wizard 3/Cleric (ecclesithurge) 3/Theurge 9 | HR 6 | mage armor 10h, defending bone 10h, see invisibility 2 h, heroism 2 h, heroes feast 12 h, air walk 140 min

Eidi observes the exchange for a while. Then interrupts Manzorian "So you want us to hand away the most powrful artifact we have and then sent us miles away in a deadly mission were we cannot control what happens with the rod?"

"What happened between you and Allustan?" the elder face changes to a wide smily and pleased one.


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

"Your artifact is certainly powerful, but a shadow of its true self. I seek to trade you the potential of the artifact for palpable power that can be used in your cause going forward, nothing more. You are certainly welcome to chaperone it, I only fear that sooner or later, you will be relieved of it, in your travels."

The Archmage raises an eyebrow, as the half-elf inquires about Allustan. "You'll have to ask him."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male, Gnome

"I share your fear Manzorian, but I don't think we can give you the rod. We feel, not entitled, but rather honored to have been chosen as its caretakers. I do not envy our path, but I do believe we are going to need that rod someday if we're to prevail in this."

"And for that reason, I can't see us giving it to you outright. Your offer is extremely generous, and I am eager to accept it. But I cannot." Ascaria shrugs.

He looks to the others to see if they agree, or dissent. "I'm going to need more holy water." he mumbles under his breath.


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa says nothing, still listening to what others say as her questions are going unanswered.


Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6

Eri nods his head at Ascaria's confirmation.


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

Manzorian listens to Ascaria's summary reply, as the gnome concludes his group's internal discussion, meager as it is.

Ascaria wrote:
"I would consider loaning you the rod for a time so we can make our move agains the enemy unobserved as it were, but to give it to you outright - I don't think I can agree to that. Would a temporary loan so you could study the item be sufficient? Perhaps the length of our journey to Kuluth-Mar and back."

The Archmage walks around his desk, coming to its front, where he leans against it. "If you still want to leave the Fragment here, with me, while you travel to Kuluth-Mar, I will see that it is well-protected. Of course, I will refrain from crafting, as we have not agreed to ownership. If you decide this, I assure you it will be available to you, once you return."

Artifact debate aside, Manzorian beckons Agath over. The priest produces a well-crafted expedition map, albeit small, and sets it on the desk, welcoming you to inspect it. "Balakarde consulted with us in the Temple to make sure that he had updated our geographical surveys. For his time, we provided him a personal cartographer, who drew his journal maps. The mage was very fond of dimensional hops to avoid direct confrontations with the jungle denizens, but he was rigorous in his exploration."

The map laid before you is quite exact, almost as if the canopy of the jungle were pulled away, giving you an aerial view that pinpoints the ancient civilization ruins. Granted, with your Wind Walking, it is a formidable journey south.

The two men make space for you to gather around the desk. They wait for you to bring forth more questions, should you have any.


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa studies the map, excited to see every detail that she may or may not completely forget about. She traces the tree lines and the area around the ruins.

"When do we want to go? And what provisions will we need?" Solrisa asks, never having traveled in the jungle before. "Eidi, what do you think?"


hp 145/138 (DR 5/B 50/50) | AC 19/13/16 | CMD 19 | F +15 R +9 W +20 (+2 vs enchantments, fear and death effects; immune to sleep) | (Ch: 3/3 S: 10/10 Ex: 3/3 B: 1|1 L1: 7/7|6/6+2/2 L2: 7/7|6/6 L3: 7/7|6/6+1/1 L4: 5/5|5/5 L5: 5/5|4/4 L6: 4/4|3/3) | Ini+1 | Senses+20
Skills:
Acro+5,App+11,Bluff+0,Dip+14,Dis+1/11,Escap+16,Heal+8,Know(Arcana+25,Local+ 21,Planes+25,Religion+27,Other+13),Linguis+11,Perf.Wind+3,Prof+6,S.Motives+ 8,SoHand+9,Spellcraft+25,Stealth+1,Concentration+21|+16
Old Half-elf Wizard 3/Cleric (ecclesithurge) 3/Theurge 9 | HR 6 | mage armor 10h, defending bone 10h, see invisibility 2 h, heroism 2 h, heroes feast 12 h, air walk 140 min

Eidi nods reinforcing Ascaria statements.

The half-elf looks at the map "Mmmm... we can likely teleport to some familiar place near the jungles, then take flight from there on to the ruins" the elder looks at Solrisa's body "Well, we likely will need some very light clothing as it is hot, very hot down there. Provisions... and some mean to orientate ourselves"
K. geography (anything needed to know about the place to visit): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)
Ascaria wrote:
"I don't think we can give you the rod. We feel, not entitled, but rather honored to have been chosen as its caretakers. I do not envy our path, but I do believe we are going to need that rod someday if we're to prevail in this. And for that reason, I can't see us giving it to you outright. Your offer is extremely generous, and I am eager to accept it. But I cannot."
Manzorian wrote:
"If you still want to leave the Fragment here, with me, while you travel to Kuluth-Mar, I will see that it is well-protected. Of course, I will refrain from crafting, as we have not agreed to ownership. If you decide this, I assure you it will be available to you, once you return."

"Oh, I don't think so. Where would you even keep it? We believe that the Rod was entrusted to us by the Wind Duke to prevail over this growing Chaos and evil. What if we're meant to reassemble it? What'll happen if we find the other fragments, but can not get to you and this piece of it for some reason? Not only can we not give you the Rod outright, I don't think we can loan it to you either."

He watches Agath approach the table and produce the map. "Does he speak at all? He inspects the map with the others.

"Oh look!" he exclaims impressed. "It's even showing the contours of the land!"

Solrisa wrote:
"When do we want to go? And what provisions will we need?"

"Protection from plants?" Mortimer blurts out before he can stop himself.


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms

Agath sneers as Mortimer speaks up. "Their ignorance is dangerous, sir. Are you sure...?" The Archmage raises a hand, stopping the priest from speaking further. He then turns back to the giant.

"Please excuse Agath. He doesn't mean to offend. We have only just met, and we are determining courses of action in the face of what might be the first rumblings of an apocalypse."

"To answer you, Mortimer, I would keep it in my Vaults. You would not be privileged to know its protections. You would have to trust me when I say it is infinitely safer than your Haversack."

"What if you're meant to reassemble it? Where would you begin to take up that challenge? How would you seek out its lesser parts? I'm genuinely curious. That could take years, if not decades, of dedicated time. Time that I fear we do not have, if you are confronting this growing Chaos."

"I assumed you would welcome a new ally. If I am to be a mere consultant, so be it. I will see you have your provisions met for traveling to the Expanse. Until then, you may continue to enjoy the hospitality of Magepoint."

Eidi:

You and Celeste have actually spent some time traveling through the northern region of the Mwangi Expanse, so you are well learned in its climate and denizens. As for the Screaming Jungle, well... you hadn't had time enough to visit Osibu, but you heard wonderful things about its utopian society.

Of course, it's called the Screaming Jungle for its huge population of monkeys, whose constant screeching makes quiet conversation on the jungle floor nigh impossible. You'll be occupied with identifying the carnivorous plants that abound...


hp 145/138 (DR 5/B 50/50) | AC 19/13/16 | CMD 19 | F +15 R +9 W +20 (+2 vs enchantments, fear and death effects; immune to sleep) | (Ch: 3/3 S: 10/10 Ex: 3/3 B: 1|1 L1: 7/7|6/6+2/2 L2: 7/7|6/6 L3: 7/7|6/6+1/1 L4: 5/5|5/5 L5: 5/5|4/4 L6: 4/4|3/3) | Ini+1 | Senses+20
Skills:
Acro+5,App+11,Bluff+0,Dip+14,Dis+1/11,Escap+16,Heal+8,Know(Arcana+25,Local+ 21,Planes+25,Religion+27,Other+13),Linguis+11,Perf.Wind+3,Prof+6,S.Motives+ 8,SoHand+9,Spellcraft+25,Stealth+1,Concentration+21|+16
Old Half-elf Wizard 3/Cleric (ecclesithurge) 3/Theurge 9 | HR 6 | mage armor 10h, defending bone 10h, see invisibility 2 h, heroism 2 h, heroes feast 12 h, air walk 140 min

Eidi somehow relaxes as Manzorian adopts a more understanding position. The elder moves side by side with Mortimer "Well, as you say, we are just met and need some more time to trust each other. Perhaps it is for the best we take some time to decide about the rod while we prepare for our expedition"

"The jungle is full of monkeys and carnivorous plants. Any means of controlling that will be of use in our trip" Eidi coughs a bit "That will be the easy part anyway if what Manzorian says about the Spire is true"

"If that is all, I will move in. I would like to finish crafting and readying spells before we trip"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male, Gnome

Ascaria is surprised at Agath's sneer, but he relaxes as Manzorian guides him to civility.

"We don't have a plan. We've been buffeted by the wings of fate and guided by our instinct. So far that's been enough. We came here hoping for some sort of plan, some guidance from you and yours - and we appreciate all you've done for us so far."

"This piece of the rod came to us, and we think it may be connected to all this somehow. Surely you can recognize that as a possibility, perhaps even a strong one. If that's the case, we should keep it close. I think we could leave it with you a while so you may study it, perhaps learn something of it we do not know. But it sounds like that is too high a risk for some. So we'll keep it for now and reassess as we go."

"But we do thank you for your help and succor. We'll prepare as quickly as we can for this journey and be off - to learn more about these worms."

"The heat may be an issue as well. We might consider a wand of Endure Elements to supplement anything Eidi can do for us. Dunno what to do about the monkeys. Earplugs?" he grins.


Male Human Brawler (15), Thief (0)
Agath wrote:
"Their ignorance is dangerous, sir. Are you sure...?"
Manzorian wrote:
"... What if you're meant to reassemble it? Where would you begin to take up that challenge? How would you seek out its lesser parts? I'm genuinely curious..."

"Just a second -- " Mortimer bellows angerly. "Is everything black and white with you people? I'm not suggesting that we drop everything just to find fragments of this thing. From what you have all said -- we wouldn't have to if the smaller fragments are seeking out this larger one. That tells me we probably don't have to work very hard to find some of them, as those who are in possession of them will come to us. As for Fate -- the Rod's Will -- as wise as you both may be -- no one can say how things will work out if we just hang on to this piece and move around with it seeking to end the growing Chaos. If we happen to find fragments to reassemble it on the way, then we'll reassemble it."

Diplo: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

He continues, trying and failing to keep his fuming to a minimum. "...And -- we are not privileged to know the Vault's protections?! How do you know those protections would ensure the Rods safety? I have no doubt that you are very powerful, but what do you know about it that makes you so confident that you can protect it?"


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Solrisa seems annoyed by the arguing, unable to find the right side to be on.

"Yet again I wonder why we can't contact the agents of the Wind Spirit Drake Druid and see what they want to us to do with the Rod. Seems like that would be the easy answer, I think."

Solrisa shrugs.

"Maybe they want it back. It's theirs if they want it. Is there a way we can ask, Mr. Archmage?" Solrisa asks the power archmage in the room.


Male, Gnome

Ascaria gets nervous when Mortimer bellows at the wizard. The two of them fighting is no good. No good at all.

He's not sure what to add, when Sol changes the subject. He thinks a moment, "No... I don't have any divinations, how 'bout you Eidi? Care to ask the servants of the gods which way we should jump?"


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms
Eidi wrote:
"Perhaps it is for the best we take some time to decide about the Rod while we prepare for our expedition."

"Yes, perhaps. You take what time you need to decide."

Ascaria wrote:
"This piece of the rod came to us, and we think it may be connected to all this somehow. Surely you can recognize that as a possibility, perhaps even a strong one. If that's the case, we should keep it close. I think we could leave it with you a while so you may study it, perhaps learn something of it we do not know. But it sounds like that is too high a risk for some. So we'll keep it for now and reassess as we go."

"Our understanding of risk is quite different, Ascaria. If you feel divinely charged to protect it, I will respect your decision to keep it." Agath sighs, but does not say anything intelligible.

Mortimer wrote:
"Just a second..."

The Archmage clasps his hands together. "You certainly have an opinion, however ill-founded I might consider it to be. I will not lecture you, nor will I tolerate your hostility. You're welcome to continue your discussion back at the All-Seeing Eye."

Solrisa wrote:
"Maybe they want it back. It's theirs if they want it. Is there a way we can ask, Mr. Archmage?"

"The dead have no say in the business of the living. If you seek rationalization, perhaps you should consult with a third party. I sense mistrust among you, so I will refrain from offering any undue influence in your decisions."

Manzorian turns to Celeste and Eligos, both who remain still in their seats. "If you'll be so kind as to stay and talk?" The other two guests both nod, and wait until you've left the room.

With that, you are escorted from the Fortress of Unknown Depths. Cymria instructs you to petition the local shops for the mundane travel items you might require in traveling south in the service of the Archmage, and they will be provided at no charge.

The travel back across the bridge is more familiar this time, and you find yourselves back inside the All-Seeing Eye without event. Cymria says her goodbyes for the evening, but not before instructing you to visit the Library Temple, and Agath, who will provide you the means for traveling more directly to Kuluth-Mar. When you are ready, of course.


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21
GM Rat Sass wrote:
"The dead have no say in the business of the living. If you seek rationalization, perhaps you should consult with a third party. I sense mistrust among you, so I will refrain from offering any undue influence in your decisions."

Solrisa seems very confused, especially as the entire reason the party has the Rod is that the dead very much told the living that they should have the rod. She was there and remembers being judged by the dead.

But Solrisa isn't a powerful and smart Archmage, so maybe she doesn't understand. But she is brave and unafraid to ask questions so she continues to pursue the point.

"Mr. Archmage, the dead kind of did tell us to take the Rod. And are you saying that all the Wind Duke's servants are gone? That they are no more?" Solrisa asks, trying to make sense of things.


Roll20 Link- Legacy of Fire | Roll20 Link- Age of Worms
Solrisa wrote:
"Mr. Archmage, the dead kind of did tell us..."

Manzorian turns to listen to a renewed question. "I'm sorry, but I haven't dedicated time to the Wind Dukes. I only know that they were lost to time, thousands of years ago. If you've spoken with them, you're more authority than I."


Male Human Fighter (archer) / Sorcerer (stormborn) / Eldritch Knight 1/7/6

Eri watches as the arguments go back and forth. He sees the bristling and and the smoothing and scowls. This is why I prefer the forest. Even when I was hungry I didn't have to decide between arguments.

He gladly heads back to the Eye.


Male, Gnome

Perhaps we would have trusted him more if he'd trusted us even just a little. thinks the gnome, but he doesn't want to stoke the fires further, so he says nothing.

He bows out of respect to the Archmage as they depart, and heads back tot he Eye to plan with the group.

"We'll need some food, though I suspect Eidi can conjure some and my Heroes' Feast covers breakfast. I can create all the water we'll need, as can Eidi, so we should be good there. It might be time to buy a Bag of Holding for the group though. If Eidi can manufacture one, it's even cheaper. I say we each chip in a grand in gold, and have Eidi make the largest one. That'll let us carry 1500 pounds of food, water, and other assorted sundries. It'll weigh 60lbs, but I'm sure Mort here can carry it. It'll be all he needs to carry instead of assorted stuff piled all over." He looks to the big man and grins.

"I have a few things to pick up too I suppose, little things. Then I'll be ready to go."

I'll get a shopping list up later today.


F Half Elf:
HP 126, F18R14W15,Dip+13,Fly+6,HanAnim+8;K(rel)+17, Spllcrft +17,UMD +21

Just to be clear, Solrisa is very/overly trusting. She trusts everyone a lot until they prove otherwise.

Solrisa certainly doesn’t feel like much of an authority. She’s never felt like an authority on anything ever. And she seems flummoxed by the lack of good information about the Wind Dukes.

”Eidi, is there someone we can ask? Someone who might be smart and have years of study in arcane things who might be able to provide some guidance?” Solrisa asks, still looking for more guidance.

8,851 to 8,900 of 9,844 << first < prev | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.