Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Rat Sass's Age of Worms

Game Master Governayle

Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
Map of Diamond Lake
Map of Egorian


1 to 50 of 7,321 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Rat Roll20 Link

Lazare helps himself to the food cart, as well as a half-cup of kahve. He wolfs down several chunks of bread, sipping the brew to facilitate mastication. He turns to Tynan, and nods.

"Thank you for gathering our friends here." Lazare straightens the tuck of his shirt, and tightens his belt before turning to the group.

"I wouldn't have asked you here so early, but I need your assistance. The daughter of a friend of mine has gone missing this morning, and there will be no consoling her until the two are reunited. Meghan is barely thirteen, and quite responsible for her age, so it was quite a shock to learn that she abandoned her bed during the night." Lazare pauses, finishing off a croissant with a swish of butter.

Sense Motive, DC 20:

This is not a matter of courtesy, this search. To Lazare, this is personal. Genuine concern tinges his every word, though he is trying to distill it from his tone.

"I have already 'discussed' this with Sheriff Cubbin. He is... uninterested in diverting his responsibilities, especially over a..." Lazare stops himself from continuing.

"As it stands, I intend to find her, but I am only one man. I thought... I thought I could ask for your assistance... and your discretion." He looks to each of you for your answer.


AC:
AC (when in chain shirt) (16)18, touch 11, flat-footed 18(16) (+7(5) armor, +1 Dex)
HP and saves:
HP:41(49 if raging), Saves:Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3
Skills:
Acro: +7 (+9 to avoid AoO for leaving a threatened square/move through a creature's space, jump :+11), Climb +6, H. Anim.: +6, Intmdt.: +6, Know.arc.: +3, Prcptn: +9, Spllcrft: +3

sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Rae hands her plate to the halfling. "Are you sure she didn't just run off to play with some friends? Some children can be... flighty....at that age." Her eyes flick briefly to her own sister, then back again.

"You said she was responsible for her age, but some kids, even responsible ones, maybe even especially the responsible ones... can bristle or feel unappreciated if everyone thinks they'll always do the "good" thing. Maybe she just needed to be a child for awhile." Even as she says it, though, Rae thinks of this town, and the likely places for a girl of that age to land...


F Halfling Servant 3

The Halfling Servant receives Raella's plate as she also takes in Lazare's words. She listens closely, trying to suss out any meaning in his intonation and pauses.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Uncertain of what intrigues might lurk behind this disappearance, or Lazare's description of the situation she notes the sheriff's unwillingness to help this little one and files it away for later consideration. Upon hearing the game maestro mention assistance and discretion, she nods in agreement while stacking empty plates off to the side.

An eyebrow cocks up upon hearing Raella's musings. "It would be an irresponsible child to voluntarily leave the safe confines of her home at such a time." Especially in a place such as this.


Male Human Slayer 10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Tynan nods in acknowledgement to Lazare's thanks, then turns his attention to the overcoat tossed on the front counter. He'll tear this place apart later looking for this if it's not in its proper place. Picking up the overcoat, he smooths out the wrinkles, and then carries it over to the coat rack just inside Lazare's office. He listens to the discussion at the gaming table as he moves back to his post near the door.

Tynan starts at Lazare's words."The daughter of a friend of mine has gone missing this morning." His stomach sinks, and he turns his full attention to Lazare's voice. Oh no... not again.

Lazare continues. "Meghan is barely thirteen, and quite responsible for her age" A wave of sadness washes over Tynan. Liliana would have been thirteen this year. "So it was quite a shock to learn that she abandoned her bed during the night." Abandoned her bed? More likely taken from it... Tynan's sadness turns to anger at the thought.

Lazare concludes his request. "I thought I could ask for your assistance... and your discretion." A look of determination comes across Tynan's face. If this group won't help Lazare, I'll go and find the girl myself.

Tynan sees Pilette nodding at Lazare's words, though no one else seems to notice her. He turns his attention to the others at the gaming table and listens, anxious to assess their responses.


F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17

Sol rises from the foot stool she was using as a chair while eating. She gives a quick look towards Rae, certain that her sister was thinking the exact same thing...

Ham is good. Also, we should help.

"Raella and I will certainly help, Lazare!" Sol asserts in a voice full of worry and concern. "Yes, we must help! And quickly!"

Sol looks down at her plate of delicious ham and wonders why Lazare waited so long to tell them...then realizes that there was probably a very good reason that she just couldn't remember.

Sol begins to plan out loud, her voice full of concern. "We'll need to know what she looks like. Rae...do you remember her? Was she the tall one with the teeth?"

Sol looks like she has more important questions to ask, but eats the last of her tempting ham before they have to go.


AC:
AC (when in chain shirt) (16)18, touch 11, flat-footed 18(16) (+7(5) armor, +1 Dex)
HP and saves:
HP:41(49 if raging), Saves:Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3
Skills:
Acro: +7 (+9 to avoid AoO for leaving a threatened square/move through a creature's space, jump :+11), Climb +6, H. Anim.: +6, Intmdt.: +6, Know.arc.: +3, Prcptn: +9, Spllcrft: +3
Pillette wrote:
An eyebrow cocks up upon hearing Raella's musings. "It would be an irresponsible child to voluntarily leave the safe confines of her home at such a time." Especially in a place such as this.

"Yes, but what is your point, exactly? Children, by their very natures are irresponsible, even the responsible ones. You can't trust the little...uh, children."

Rae flushes and turns her attention to her sister, almost choking on the description. "The tall one...? No, I'm almost certain she was the short one with the toes."


Rat Roll20 Link

Lazare looks back and forth between the sisters, a mild look of annoyance soon enough suppressed. "Well, you seem to have one aspect of it firmly in mind, Raella. Meghan certainly has friends who may have encouraged her. The responsible thing to do here, as adults, is to verify such things."

The host of the parlor takes a couple of slices of ham, and tosses it to the dogs. "Meghan's mother was aware of her absence by sixth bell. By eighth bell, I was off to discuss matters with Cubbin." As he finishes his sentence, a bell sounds off Memorial Square.

"The children were known to frequent the cemetary's grounds, as well as the old stones out by the observatory, and the old piers, for that matter. The mother will remain, in case she returns, and I intend visit Jalek's for a 'social call'." He looks disquieted by the pronouncement.

Solrisa wrote:
"We'll need to know what she looks like."

"Yes, that would help, wouldn't it? She's about as tall as Raella, her hair deep brown, almost black, as are her eyes. Her striking feature is her freckles, which alight upon her cheeks quite heartily. Oh, and a birthmark under the right side of her chin. Yes, that should be enough, if her name alone is not enough."

"There are several of you, which allows us to search more quickly. If you're up for this, then I suggest we meet back here in one hour's time, to gather our information." He taps his fingers, looking at each of you, as if laying out a strategy on a dragonchess board.


Male Human Slayer 10

"With your leave, Lazare, I'd like to join the search. I know I wasn't one of those you sent for, but I want to help." I can't watch another girl disappear... not like this.

Tynan looks pleadingly at Lazare. "Please, Sir. Let me go and search for signs of her at the cemetery."


Rat Roll20 Link

Lazare raises an eyebrow as Tynan speaks up. He looks down at the dogs, then walks towards the office. "Dannath, dear, would you mind..."

Dannath finishes her father's sentence. "...looking after the dogs? Of course. I have nothing pressing at the moment, Father, so don't mind the parlor. I'll be here."

Sense Motive, DC 20:

Perhaps it's early for these night creatures, but Dannath is put off by her father's concerns at the moment.

Lazare returns to the table and turns to Tynan. "The more the merrier, then. Glad to have your help, Tynan."

Lazare touches the table in front of him. "If she's out and about with her friends, then it should be a simple matter of bringing her back here right away. If you manage to find only her friends, then anyone learning of her whereabouts should let the rest of us know first, before seeking her out further. Does this sound acceptable to you all?"

It seems clear that Lazare is expecting you to head out shortly, to inquire about the town, and then return to Lazare's, good news or no.


Male Human Slayer 10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Tynan heads to the staff area and grabs his cloak, then returns to the door. "Thank you, Sir. I will return within the hour, hopefully with promising news." Tynan pulls up his cowl, and prepares to head out of the gaming parlor, a look of grim determination on his face. "Is anyone else coming?"


Male, Gnome

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4

"Prickle of porcupines - a missing child! Didn't you grease the sherrif's palm a bit? That usually gets him moving. But I guess we'll do it for free, so no loss there. And do it we will I'm sure! No one wants a little girl to be lost."

A fleck of ham flies out of his mouth and onto his rather fine vest as he speaks. He absent mindedly brushes it off and continues,

"By jove I'll ask around and see if anyone has seen her and gather a few things to beat the bushes if needs be!"

Ascaria looks to Tynan and replies, "Aye, I'll join you if you like, but we might have more luck spreading out - at least while we search the relative safety of the town. Cover more ground as it were, alone. I have some friends among the miners, so why don't I start there?"

Assuming Ascaria heads off alone...
Ascaria heads to the poorer section where the toughest miners live. He goes door to door asking for the child among those he counts as friends in the community. He pays particular attention to the children living there who may be playing with the girl not knowing she's even missing.

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Gather Information (dip): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

After the hour is up, he rushes home to gather his pack and a few things that might help in the search, and returns to Lazare's - about 10 minutes late of the hour.


Male Human

Sense Motive #1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Sense Motive #2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Someone is missing, and someone cares? Unheard of. Is that even like Lazare? Even if I didn't owe him I'd want to know what that's about.

Mort shifts uncomfortably in place.
"At what time did the child retire for bed, and at what time approximately did anyone first notice the child was missing?"


F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17

Sol looks at Rae.

"We are going to help, right?" Sol looks at her sister. "Well, you don't have to, but I want to. We know what's it's like to be a young woman...here." Sol doesn't dwell too much on the negative and her experiences in Diamond Lake as it pushes too much worry into her mind.

"Besides, I bet we'll find her first. You're really good at finding stuff, Rae!"

Sol grabs Rae's arm and begins to drag her to the door.

* * *

Once she manages to get onto the streets...

Sol goes closer to where she thinks Meghan lives and begins to cast about, somberly but confidently approaching people who might be able to help.

"Excuse me, we're looking for a friend of ours who we need to find immediately. You may know her...? Meghan? She's 13 and has the *most* adorable freckles.."

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Diplomacy - Gather Info

If their search takes them near the studio, Sol will run in for some provisions/quick packing.


Male Human Slayer 10

Should Tynan investigate alone...

Tynan heads off to the cemetery, searching the muddy ground for any signs of a child having recently passed through the area.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Tynan searches the places he would have hidden as a child, recalling the myriad locations he himself had chosen as a child playing "Hide and Find". When it nears the hour, whether he has found any signs of Meghan or not, he returns to the gaming parlor to compare findings.


Rat Roll20 Link
Mort wrote:
"At what time did the child retire for bed, and at what time approximately did anyone first notice the child was missing?"

Lazare turns to Mortimer, tapping his fingers lightly on the table, as if testing it for movement. "Her mother tells me she was to bed promptly at nine last night, finding her gone at six this morning. So we do have an accounting for her turning in for the night, yes."


Male Human

His constructs. Bah!

Mort considers offering to move the table for Lazare for a moment, then instead declares:

"Just trying to narrow down the time frame."

He squares his shoulders and heads for the door with the plan of eavesdropping around town for a few hours for any clues -- particularly around Sheriff Cubbin's office and Osgoods.

Perception Sherrif: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Perception Osgoods: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Perception Random Babble between the two: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


AC:
AC (when in chain shirt) (16)18, touch 11, flat-footed 18(16) (+7(5) armor, +1 Dex)
HP and saves:
HP:41(49 if raging), Saves:Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3
Skills:
Acro: +7 (+9 to avoid AoO for leaving a threatened square/move through a creature's space, jump :+11), Climb +6, H. Anim.: +6, Intmdt.: +6, Know.arc.: +3, Prcptn: +9, Spllcrft: +3
Solrisa Iome Arabasti wrote:
"We are going to help, right?" Sol looks at her sister. "Well, you don't have to, but I want to. We know what's it's like to be a young woman...here." Sol doesn't dwell too much on the negative and her experiences in Diamond Lake as it pushes too much worry into her mind.

"Yes, we're going to help! Did I say we weren't going to help? Of course we're going to help, now calm down."

Quote:

"Besides, I bet we'll find her first. You're really good at finding stuff, Rae!"

If only I were as good at losing stuff. Rae grumbles to herself. As her sister latches on to her.

* * *

Once she manages to get onto the streets...

Rae lends her keen eye sight to looking for the girl, or for any children that she may have been playing with. She stays close to her ditzy sister, to make sure she doesn't get lost or fall into any sort of trouble, but allows Solrisa to do the talking. People like her, for some reason.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


F Halfling Servant 3
Raella wrote:
"You can't trust the little...uh, children."

A look of confusion passes over the halfling's face when Rae describes the girl. "Hardly a little child. She's thirteen, so she's of age for most things. If she's old enough to be sold away from her family, be betrothed in alliance, or to work as an apprentice, she's old old enough to know better than to leave the safety of her bed."

Seeing several depart, Pillette finishes tidying up the trays while her mind shifts through the situation, addressing a few final questions to Lazare.

"The cemetery, observatory, and piers. Don't worry, Sir, someone will find her." You seem to have summoned quite the motley crew, but perhaps some of them have hidden talents. "Of course, the mother's name and residence would be useful, too."

Lazare wrote:
"I intend visit Jalek's for a 'social call'"

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

"Jalek's, Sir? Forgive my ignorance. My visits to Diamond Lake were only sporadic in the past, and I will endeavor to learn more, as appropriate."Definitely need to brush up on the comings and goings of this depressing burg. I'm not in Egorian any more!

"The more informed I am, the more use I will be for you and the more discrete my inquiries will be." Although this search seems to be no secret, a man in Lazare's position is likely to need discretion at some point.


Rat Roll20 Link

GM Rolls:

1d4 ⇒ 3
1d3 ⇒ 2

Ascaria:

Front Street, it is! South of the vein, your investigation allows you access to several rundown homes along the dirt road. You accompany Lazare as far as Jalek's Flophouse, where he excuses himself to enter the building alone.

The cool morning keeps folks indoors, near their stoves and firepits. Knocking on enough doors, you manage to find a young lady the same age as Meghan, already quite tired, as she cares for three toddlers. Hanna briefly relates her envy of Meghan, as Meghan is an only child. Further, Meghan is enjoying the attentions of Frederick, from a more well-to-do family. Nice rolls :) The two find time during the day to meet, but never at night.

Solrisa and Raella:

West Branch of the Vein, it is! Lazare does point out that Meghan lives along this part of town, and encourages your journey, as it may carry you as far as the stone arches of the Menhirs. Fortunately, your studio is the last building at the end of town. Marked on the Roll20 map for reference

The cool morning keeps folks indoors, near their stoves and hearths. You manage to converse with a couple of older women who find their way outside to either empty chamber pots or hang the laundry. One of the women, Betsy, rests a palm on Solrisa's face, and coos, as Solrisa inquires about Meghan.

"If I were to guess, I'd say she's come to her senses, and found a way to leave Diamond Lake for better fortunes. I've not seen her this morning, but you can count on me to be your eyes and ears, though they're dimmer for my years. If I see her, I'll send her your way." It's as if Raella isn't there while Betsy addresses her sister.

From your vantage point returning to your studio, you're fairly certain there is no activity in or around the ancient stones.

Tynan:

The cemetary, it is! More than footprints, you find feet. Four of them, connected to two teenage boys, sitting casually amongst the headstones close to gate. They appear to be waiting. When you approach, they stop their conversation, and stand on their feet, and watch you in your approach.

Mortimer:

Memorial Square, it is! Sheriff Cubbin's office is located on the square, so it is no time really before you find yourself loitering along his front steps. You manage to catch his voice, sounding off to no one in particular about the nerve of that gambler, making requests of him. The noise quickly dies down, and the sound of snoring soon ensues.

Wandering the East Branch of the Vein, towards Osgood's, you're relatively certain no teenager fitting Meghan's description crosses your path. You're also relatively certain that entering Osgood's will entail requests for an explanation for why you're currently not stoking the fires.

Pillette:

Lazare retrieves his coat, readying to leave almost as quickly as the others. "Name and residence are of limited use, Pillette. As for Jalek's Flophouse, it's probably a good thing you are unaware of its reputation. Those who require cheap boarding and ease of concealment find their way to Jalek's. A veritable rat's nest."

Pillette wrote:
"The more informed I am..."

Diplomacy roll, please. Let's talk :)


Male Human
GM Rat Sass wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **...

If there is anytime left, Mort will look around the outskirts of town where he'd come in from the hills to see if there is any evidence of recent activity that might be related to this assumed abduction.

If not, he returns to Lazare's looking somewhat dejected.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


F Halfling Servant 3
Lazare wrote:
"Name and residence are of limited use, Pillette."

Possibly true, but certainly interesting he doesn't want to share. She nods. "As you wish, Sir." It certainly appears some discretion will be necessary when dealing with this matter.

Lazare wrote:
"As for Jalek's Flophouse, it's probably a good thing you are unaware of its reputation."

"Awareness of something that influence events can be helpful, if nothing else to know what to avoid or how to prepare. Of course, I understand discretion can be just as important, sometimes it's more important for only a few to be know in the know."

Diplomacy (Lazare discussion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

She will stay as long as Lazare is interested in discussing any further details. Once finished, Pillette will ease out the back of the establishment and make her way to the observatory stones. She'll try and remember anything useful about the about the place - typical traffic, reputation for danger, how isolated the area is, etc.
Knowledge - Local (Observatory/Stones): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

She considers her appearance. If there are children at the stones, they might be more open with a slip than a sneak in black leathers. Perhaps I'll save that for the docks.

When she approaches the stones, she'll take her time to see if anyone is there currently, or has been there recently.
Perception (take 20 if possible): 20 + 4 = 24

If she encounters any children, she'll approach them openly, humming a soft tune. Assuming any children present playing..."Hello there! It looks like you are having so much fun! Mind if I join you for a bit? These stones look like quite a fun place to be on my day off." She'll chat them up, starting with innocuous questions them about their play, and eventually entertain them with a folk song about a clever child outwitting a brute.
Perform (Sing): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Once/if she has them relaxed, she'll ask about their friends, and eventually bring up Meghan, seeing if the missing one is present, where else the girl usually plays, if she had expressed interests or fears in anything unusual lately, etc.
Diplomacy - Gather Information (children/people at stones): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Male Human Slayer 10

Tynan eyes the boys cautiously, looking for anything out of the ordinary as he approaches.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
"You two look like you know what goes on here in Diamond Lake. Think you could help me out and answer some questions for me? I'll make it worth your time."
Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Tynan sizes up the boy who answers him. Studied Target (move action): +1 on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against this opponent.
"There's a girl, about your age, named Meghan. Do you know her? Have you seen here anywhere today?"
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
"Have you seen anything suspicious going on here lately? Anyone you don't recognize from town?"
Should they provide any useful information, Tynan will reward them with a few silver coins each, do a quick look around the cemetery, then return to Lazare's.


F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17

Sol thanks Betsy and the other talkers profusely for their aid as they quickly return home and to check out the Ancient Stones. Sol resists the urge to gab further with the ladies, knowing that time is short.

"Well, they were nice, weren't they Rae? We'll find Megs in no time," Sol chirps cheerfully to Rae. "They are probably right, Meghan has probably gone off on an adventure."

Sol smiles as she runs home, thinking happy thoughts for Meghan and where she might be.

Good for her!

* * *

Sol runs into the studio, gathering her gear and supplies in case she needs to track down Meghan on the road.

* * *

On the way back, Sol will scout the Ancient Stones for Meghan, pretty certain that the lass has gone off to seek her fortune elsewhere and is perfectly safe.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11 Perception


AC:
AC (when in chain shirt) (16)18, touch 11, flat-footed 18(16) (+7(5) armor, +1 Dex)
HP and saves:
HP:41(49 if raging), Saves:Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3
Skills:
Acro: +7 (+9 to avoid AoO for leaving a threatened square/move through a creature's space, jump :+11), Climb +6, H. Anim.: +6, Intmdt.: +6, Know.arc.: +3, Prcptn: +9, Spllcrft: +3

Raella follows Sol as she makes her rounds, becoming more and more disgruntled with each passing slight.

"Oh yeah, she was a real doll, she was." Rae grumbles.

"The more I think of it, though, the more I'm sure she's not off on an adventure. If she were, she would mention it to her friends, I would think. Hells, even you would tell me, right Sol?"

While at the studio, Rae takes a second look, to make sure she hasn't forgotten anything, but picks up little. She already packed for contingencies before starting this day.

So busy is Rae in her grumblings, that she almost misses Sol's flounce back out the door.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Male, Gnome

Ascaria bounces back into Lazares, a little late of the hour, but moving fast and slightly out of breath with a heavy sling bag over his shoulder. He hardly notices if everyone is there yet, before blurting out his report.

"Well I didn't find her, but I did find out she's been with a young man by the name of Frederick. They've been quite an item I guess. Perhaps they eloped!"

He looks in the pot for more kahve and frowns at the now cold liquid.

"Frederick is from a wealthier family - but I don't know who - just that he's well to do apparently." he picks up a piece of ham and wonders how it would do heated, folded in with an egg or two. He shrugs and takes a bite.

"I thought I might head to the wealthier folks and knock on some doors. Anyone care to join me?" He gulps down the rest of the ham slice and looks about for a bit of bread before looking back at the group with a smile.


Rat Roll20 Link

Pillette:

Lazare looks at the front door, then turns back to you. "Yes, it is better to understand the dynamics..." He lowers his voice, and steps closer. "Her mother is currently employed at the Midnight salute. I only worry that Meghan may have reached a tipping point, should her peers understand what a 'whore' is. She may have run away out of embarrassment for her mother's profession."

On your approach to the Menhirs, you sift through your recollection of things said regarding the old ring of stones. You are aware of visitors to the stones, druids and rangers who consider them sacred. It may why they have avoided vandalism or desecration.

You wait for some time, but this morning's chill seems to have kept away any visitors, save you. Your return back to Lazare's is quite peaceful.

Tynan:

It's subtle, but the taller boy drops a freshly picked flower behind the gravestone on which he most recently sat.

He steps in front of the smaller boy and addresses you firmly. "Well, I suppose we'll judge if you make it worth our while. What do you need?" He steps forward at the mention of Meghan. "Why would you ask about her? Has something happened to her? She was supposed to meet up with us this morning, but she hasn't shown yet." He sizes you up while thinking over things, considering his next words carefully.

"She... she's been sleepwalking lately. Found herself outside her house a couple of nights, frozen to the bone." He looks at you, as if he's worried about how he sounds. "Meghan said he's been calling to her, that he needs her help. She's got a big heart, so I can see why her dreams would talk to her like that, but it scared her. She led me up into the hills once. Showed me where he is. She says she could hear the whispers grow louder the closer she got, but I never heard anything. You think she's there? If you want, I can lead you there." The boy looks nervous, but follows you back to Lazare's. The other boy is nowhere to be seen now.

Solrisa and Raella:

Aside from the lovely chat with Betsy, you make it to your studio without incident. On your return trip to Lazare's, there appears to be no activity in the surrounds of the Menhirs.

...

As everyone gathers back at Lazare's, you aren't kept much longer than ten minutes after the hour, as the straggler Ascaria bounds in and gives his report.

Lazare listens intently to all said regarding everyone's time away. He looks curiously at the older boy standing next to Tynan, but waits to hear from Tynan himself.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17
GM Rat Sass wrote:
Lazare listens intently to all said regarding everyone's time away.

Sol startles.

"Oh, you want us to tell you what we found? Oh, okay..." Sol takes a deep breath to explain things. "We met this nice lady named Betsy? Or was it Karen..." Sol looks over to Rae for confirmation. "...what was it, Rae? I think it was Betren, maybe."

Sol waits a pause, then continues her explanation.

"So Betren and her husband were working on cutting down this big bottlebrush tree in their backyard, they were. It kept growing back no matter how much they kept cutting it, they said. They had thought to dig it out completely but hadn't decided on that yet. Ain't that right, Rae...?"

Sol waits a pause, then continues her story.

"So she was using the tiny snippers and her husband was called in to do the heavy lifting of branches. And she said that she felt that planting another lemon tree would be overkill in the backyard...isn't that right, Rae?"

Sol waits a heartbeat, then continues.

"And well, they couldn't decide what to do, but she said that she knew of Meghan but thought that the girl had left Diamond Lake to seek her fortune or happiness...or her future. And I think that's a good thing. I'm happy that she's decided to find what makes her happy. Isn't that right, Rae?"

Sol intakes a breath.

"So, I think we're done here, right?" Sol says happily. "Do you have any more of that ham?"


Male Human Slayer 10

Tynan chats with the boy as they walk.

"What is your name? You can call me Ty."
"Meghan's mother said she was just gone this morning when she went to wake her up. If she's been sleepwalking, then that could explain her absence. You should come and tell your story to the rest of the search party... they'll be very interested in what you have to say."

Arriving back at Lazare's, Tynan looks around the room, but sees no sign that any of the others found Meghan.

"Everyone, this is Frederick. Meghan was supposed to meet him this morning, but never showed up. He said she's has been sleepwalking of late, and hearing a voice calling to her, asking for her help. He's volunteered to take us to where the voice originates."


AC:
AC (when in chain shirt) (16)18, touch 11, flat-footed 18(16) (+7(5) armor, +1 Dex)
HP and saves:
HP:41(49 if raging), Saves:Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3
Skills:
Acro: +7 (+9 to avoid AoO for leaving a threatened square/move through a creature's space, jump :+11), Climb +6, H. Anim.: +6, Intmdt.: +6, Know.arc.: +3, Prcptn: +9, Spllcrft: +3
Solrisa Iome Arabasti wrote:
" Ain't that right, Rae...?"

Raella takes a breath to answer each time Ris stops for a moment, but she should know better by now. Solrisa proves much faster, speaking again before her sister has even said a word.

Finally, as Solrisa's ramble appears to come to a close, Rae can take it no longer, "Good Gods, Sol, give someone else a chance to speak, would you? Yes, it was Betsy, It was a raggedy rose of sharon, not that it matters, and they agreed on the tangerine, again, not that it matters. And I think you are right, that *you think* it was a good thing, but I have my doubts about this adventure she's supposed to be on. But having found nothing other than a bunch of weeds and fertilizer in amongst all that chatter, I hope someone else comes up with *SOMETHING* because we've got squat..."

Flustered at her loss of temper, Rae shoos her hands as if to brush it all away, then says in a quieter voice, "Which is to say, sorry, Lazare. We did look, and all the Lords know that Solrisa used every bit of charm and gossiping skills she has to find something. If anyone else has something else to try point it out and we'll head that way."


Male Human

Something nags lightly in Mort's brain as he stares at the glowing embers in the hearth.

Fortune... future? Everyone seems hopeful that it's a good thing.

I just don't know.

He casts a sidelong glance at Ascaria and mutters, "So much for the elopement angle."

Addressing the group he announces, "My foray into town turned up very little except an embittered Sheriff who apparently talks in his fitful sleep; and a sudden reluctance -- of which I was previously unaware -- to explain my current whereabouts to my employer."

He sighs heavily and stares at the hearth.

"It seems our best lead here is Frederick -- so where are we headed, Frederick?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male, Gnome
Mortimer Smith wrote:
He casts a sidelong glance at Ascaria and mutters, So much for the elopement angle.

He smiles at Mort and says, "You're right there! Can't have an elopement without one of the elopees!"

He walks over to Frederick and pats him on the back. "Good find Tynan! Good find!"

He sits back down, grabs his sack, moves a few things aside and pulls out some charcoal and a scrap of paper already mostly covered in the black dust. He scratches out a quick sketch of a stick-figure-Frederick and a young girl. Their arms are outstretched almost touching - but not quite. Longing...yearning.

Craft,drawing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

He settles in and darkens there with a smudge, brushes some dust away here for a highlight - and loses track of his surroundings for a moment.


F Halfling Servant 3

Seeing the Gnome frown at the cold kahve, Pillette almost imperceptibly shakes her head as she moves to warm up the pot on the fireplace mantle.

Ascaria wrote:
"Frederick is from a wealthier family."

The halfling cocks a brow, understanding crossing her gaze. That would explain possible secrecy. "Ah, young love. Now, if anything is going to make someone do something irrational or irresponsible, such..." silly, irrational, unrealistic, and dangerous "...romance could certainly explain it." As Ascaria finishes his drawing, she moves to give him a reheated cup of kahve, using the opportunity to take a closer look at his picture.

Solsira wrote:
"So, I think we're done here, right? Do you have any more of that ham?"

The halfling's eyes roll ever so slightly at the naive comment, and she quickly moves to slice a piece of ham and present a plate to Solsira. "Here, Ma'am, please enjoy." And leave the thinking to the those who understand the world.

Tynan wrote:
"Everyone, this is Frederick. Meghan was supposed to meet him this morning, but never showed up. He said she's has been sleepwalking of late, and hearing a voice calling to her, asking for her help. He's volunteered to take us to where the voice originates."

She gives Tynan a surprised nod, looking at the scofflaw with a little more respect. Well, he may be good at finding people. Hopefully he really doesn't lead them too far astray.

She adds her brief report to the group. "There seemed to be nothing amiss when I visited the observatory stones this morrow, but those Menhirs remind me of places deeply tied to the powers of nature. A voice could call out to someone sleeping from such a powerful place. At least that's more likely than the docks drawing a sleepwalker. I guess a cemetery could call someone as well, although that might be in a much more disturbing way."

Nodding in agreement with Mortimer's question. "So, Frederick, where does the voice come from?"


Male Human Slayer 10

"Go ahead Frederick. Everyone here wants to see Meghan found as much as you do." Tynan says reassuringly. He pauses, and then pats the lad on the back. "Right now, you're our best, if not only, hope of finding her."


F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17

If Solrisa feels admonished by Rae's words, she does not show it. She is happy to be there and happy to contribute her piece. After all, if Sol can't figure out what is perfectly relevant, how could others?

When Tynan's friend reveals what she knows, Sol considers that the woman, Betsy might have been wrong with that she told her. Sol immediately forgives her...as people make mistakes all the time...

...and that's okay.

Pillette wrote:
"moar ham!"

Solrisa smiles gratefully at the halfling, her face a beacon of niceness and appreciation for the gift.

Solrisa snacks on the ham and keeps her mouth shut until she has something important anything to say. She stands between Mort and her sister, happily munching using her strong hands to pick apart the meat.

"Rae! More ham!" Sol squeals quietly and happily.


Rat Roll20 Link

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 1

Mort, Pillette, Tynan wrote:
"So, where are we headed, Frederick? So, Frederick, where does the voice come from? Go ahead, Frederick."

Frederick turns from Mort, to Pillette, and finally, to Tynan. He seems ready to answer, then pauses uncertainly. "It's my fault." His eyes well with tears, before he can blot them with his shirt cuff. "She made me swear not to tell anyone. She was too embarrassed the first time. They say people who sleepwalk, well, they're weak-willed bed wetters." His initial fearless facade has disappeared, leaving what is obviously a boy becoming a man.

He exhales deliberately, before continuing. "It's a little over an hour outside town, if you head past the Dourstone mine. I can show you, just..." Frederick looks about the parlor. "...I'll meet up with you, ok? I don't want to draw attention, in case, someone saw me traveling around town with you. Are all of you coming?" Something in Frederick's tone betrays surprise, possibly that so many would be concerned about searching for a girl such as Meghan.


Male Human Slayer 10

"Meeting us at the edge of town will be fine, Frederick. It will give me a chance to stop by my room and pick up my gear." Tynan turns to Lazare. "That is if you don't mind me joining the others in the search."


F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17

Sol looks at Raella, then the rest of the group.

"So...who is going? I don't even know all of your names, do I?" Sol smiles earnestly, as a person who enjoys meeting new people.

"I know Tynan. He pointed out the ham," Sol recites. "And I know Raella because, well, we're twins. Also, we had the same mother."

"And nice to meet you, Canary. I remember your name because it's my favorite color of polish! Don't you love polish?' Sol asks the gnome.

"And Mort." Sol pauses, thinking what to say. She looks Mort up and down, trying to really absorb the man's looks. "I like your scar. You must be very brave to have earned that. You should tell me about it."

Sol looks at the dogs, then at Lazare, then back at the dogs, clearly wondering if she should make their acquaintance as well if they were coming.


AC:
AC (when in chain shirt) (16)18, touch 11, flat-footed 18(16) (+7(5) armor, +1 Dex)
HP and saves:
HP:41(49 if raging), Saves:Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3
Skills:
Acro: +7 (+9 to avoid AoO for leaving a threatened square/move through a creature's space, jump :+11), Climb +6, H. Anim.: +6, Intmdt.: +6, Know.arc.: +3, Prcptn: +9, Spllcrft: +3

When the others are ready, Rae is as well.


F Halfling Servant 3

Pillette notices Solrisa names the assembled folks until her gaze finally settles on the dogs, but she doesn't mention or look at the halfling. Just a servant, here. Good, she hasn't noticed.

She bows in a short, gesture of an obedient servant before trying to slip as unobtrusively out the door.
Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

If she can make it out of the room, she finds a quiet corner to slip into her "traveling gear," finally covering her entire self with the grey side of her reversible cloak.

She waits quietly, hidden, until she sees Frederick leave. As a small, cloaked, quiet halfling, her intent is to as surreptitiously follow Frederick to make sure he doesn't get into trouble.
Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31


Male, Gnome
Solrisa Iome Arabasti wrote:
"And nice to meet you, Canary. I remember your name because it's my favorite color of polish! Don't you love polish?' Sol asks the gnome.

Ascaria looks up from his drawing at the mention of his name, and refocuses on the group, putting away his things - stuffing them haphazardly into his pack.

What'd I miss?

"Oh, yes. Polish. Very nice. Hello Sol. Sol, right? I have that right?"

"OK then, I've got my gear - I'm ready to go. Should we bring the dogs? Maybe they can sniff out the poor girl. I dunno... I'm not very good with animals." He tries to pet one on the head and ends up slapping it lightly instead. He looks uncomfortable.


Rat Roll20 Link

Frederick indicates his desire to meet with the search party ten minutes stride past the Dourstone mine road, then excuses himself.

Perception, DC 21:

Pillette uses Frederick's attentional draw to slip from the room.

Tynan wrote:
"That is if you don't mind me joining the others in the search."

"Yes, of course, Tynan. I'm sure they'll welcome your company."

Lazare listens as the search party commits to the morning's excursion. As Ascaria pets his dog, Lazare considers the request of their use. "They're strong and low to the ground. If one of you thinks you can restrain them if they catch a scent, I don't see why you couldn't take them..." Lazare looks towards the office briefly. Dannath continues her work, with her head down.

"Yes, this will have to do, as I must attend to other matters this afternoon." Lazare moves to the front counter, returning with two leather leashes. "Come here, Cudgel. You too, Wreck." The dogs need no encouragement, the heat of the hearth no where near as enticing as the sight of the leather. Once leashed, Lazare continues.

"If...When you find her, bring her directly to the Midnight Salute. Tell them you are friends of the parlor. Ask for Lisbeth if there is any difficulty. Ascaria, I asked for you, to accompany the others for your gift of healing. See that Meghan is well attended, should you find her in poor health from the night chill. I would be grateful." His voice quiets.

"Well, if you are taking the dogs, best do it now. Otherwise, I'll take them on my errands, now that they're leashed."

...

Mortimer:

As the others leave, Lazare pulls you to the side. "I asked for you, to accompany the girls, Mort. I figured they'd be what Meghan needed, friendly faces to assure her she wasn't in trouble for going missing. I was hoping your presence wouldn't be needed, but if we found Meghan somewhere, well, somewhere unwelcoming to the women, that you would guard them against similar back alleys. Just, please make sure no one comes to harm, alright?"

Pillette:

There is little time to spare as you gather yourself, before Frederick walks deliberately from Lazare's. When he clears Memorial Square, he bolts, running along the East Branch of the Vein. He suddenly slows, as if seeing something in the distance. He continues his slower pace, stops, then begins to walk again. From your vantage, it appears he's debating himself on continuing this path. If he continues debating, he'll likely not meet with the search party in the expected time. It's obvious that he is oblivious to your presence.


Male Human

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

The Random Musings of Mortimer Smith Part 1

Solrisa lome Arabasti wrote:
"Rae! More ham!"

Without looking directly at Solrisa, Mort notes that she seems to eat somewhat voraciously.

She eats as though she has not eaten for weeks... I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like this, but -- then I don't seem to remember as much as other people seem to.

Solrisa lome Arabasti wrote:
"I like your scar. You must be very brave to have earned that. You should tell me about it."

At the mention of his scar, Mort pulls himself fully upright and shadow seems to fall across his visage.

Was I?!... Damnit -- Why can't I remember?! Can there be a future with no past?

He turns to Solrisa and meets her intent gaze evenly for a second, then with a softer expression he turns to Raella, bows slightly and says quietly:

"Well met, Raella.", then to Solrisa, "Well met Sol, and perhaps I shall... someday."

He nods in greeting to the other party members in the room, a gesture which is apparently lost on the gnome.

For Lazare, he manages a scowl before attempting to take his leave of the establishment.

Lazare:
Mort maintains the scowl as he responds: "They all shall have whatever valor lives within these bones, though I fear my company already comes too late."

He heads to Osgood's to gather his things and meet the others.


Male Human Slayer 10

Tynan nods at Lazare."Thank you, sir. I'll do what I can to assure her return."

At mention of taking the dogs on the search, Tynan looks at Cudgel and Wreck, thinks back to the last time he took them for a walk, and shakes his head. I really don't need to be dragged around by those beasts today...

Tynan turns to the group "I'm not the best at handling these fine beasts." gesturing at the two large canines. "If one of you wants to bring them, make sure you're strong of both will and body." Tynan rubs his shoulder subconsciously as he crosses to the door. I pity anyone foolish enough to volunteer for hound duty...

"I'll meet you at the edge of town shortly." Tynan departs, and hastily heads to his rented room.


F Half Elf:
AC 26 (w/shield), HP 84, F14R10W11,Dip+11, HanAnim+7;K(rel)+13, Spllcrft +14,UMD +17

Sol pauses on the way out, looking at the dogs.

She's probably thinking what I'm thinking.

"Rae, look at the dogs! We should get a dog...or a puppy! We should get a puppy when we get back," Sol squeals thinking about it. "A puppy, Rae! A puppy!" Sol smiles in genuine excitement...because puppy.

* * *
Sol waits at the meeting spot for the others. Arriving quicker than others as she and Rae had already returned home to gather gear. She leans against the signpost for the Dourmine road clad in a hide shirt. A large one or two handed sword is strapped to her back, leaning for a right-handed drawing. A heavy and well-worn wooden shield is slung over her shoulder.

"Rae, honey? Didn't you used to work at the Dourstone?"


Male, Gnome

Ascaria definitely leaves the dogs behind. He follows, as best he can with his short legs, Sol and Rae to the meeting spot. He waves by way of greeting when they arrive.

He stands around for about a whole second before fishing into his pack for a piece of chalk. He kneels down on the cobblestones and begins to draw.

Craft, drawing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

He draws their little party, sans dogs, standing under a light on a windswept corner. Most of the image is just a blur of chalk dust, but he focuses in on the faces of the brave adventurers and tries to capture some detail there.

He works the whole while he waits. If the wait is long, he eventually draws the house nearest their little group by way of background - focusing on the interior dimly seen through the windows and leaving the rest of the house a blur.


Male Human Slayer 10

Tynan catches up with the others after a few moments. A suit of worn leather armor now covers his frame, nearly the same color as his unremarkable light brown cloak. Several throwing daggers are on a bandolier across his chest, and the hilt of a sword occasionally reveals itself behind the edge of his cloak.

He notices the very large sword strapped to Sol's back, and involuntarily winces. I should probably stay well away from her if a fight arises... she'll probably forget who I am and try to kill me. Unless she's distracted by a stack of cured meat or something...

He notices Ascaria's chalk drawing. "That's a very good likeness, Canary. Well done."


F Halfling Servant 3

Pillette watches Frederick hesitate, and she scans the area to see if she can identify anything in particular that has him spooked, or anything special about the path he chose to get to the rendezvous.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

If she is unable to identify any particular threat or peculiarity, she will wait just a bit to see if Frederick will pull himself together. If it's clear Frederick is going to be rather late or head in a different direction, she'll pull the cowl off of her head and approach the lad, her long cloak still covering most of her gear.

If she reaches Frederick. "Master Frederick, it is good to see you again, Sir. I have been sent to assist you while you are out and about. I shall be happy to accompany you to your next destination, wherever it is. We little ones can be of great assistance, you know." She smiles ever so politely and nods her head slightly towards the route to the rendezvous. With polite, almost obsequious urgings and nudgings, she encourages the lad on the correct path.

"Unless there is something else you need to accomplish, first?"


Male, Gnome
Tynan Swale wrote:
He notices Ascaria's chalk drawing. "That's a very good likeness, Canary. Well done."

"Huh? Oh." Ascaria smiles broadly, "Thanks! Yeah, I really like drawing. Great way to pass the time when there's nothing else to do."

He stands up and brushes some chalk dust off his hands. He holds out a nub of chalk to Tynan, "You want to have a try?"

1 to 50 of 7,321 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.