Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

GM Rapscallion's Skull and Shackles

Game Master Nayr Trebrot

Tales of piracy, power struggles, and treachery on the high seas. Are there any that can turn their fallen luck to real pirate gold?


1 to 50 of 989 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

The smell assails you first – the scent of unwashed bodies mingles with the powerful bouquet of the sea. It’s nearly overpowering, and provides an inauspicious reception for you. The second sense that hits you is touch – that of your face lying flat on a hard, wooden floor. You can feel the gaps between the planks, and your head is so heavy that it feels as if it could burst right through the floor at any time and you’d be hard-pressed to stop it.

As you contemplate the thought of just giving in and lying there until hunger or thirst takes you to the Lady of Graves, you hear heavy, thudding footfalls coming near. The pounding vibrations do little to ameliorate the throbbing of your head, but you are able to lift the dead weight nonetheless, to peer at this newfound intruder into your misery.

You’re awarded with the painful glare of a piercing shaft of light from a lantern, and you shield your eyes with a tingling hand. This safeguard allows to you view a motley group of men in various states of dress and countenance. There are half a dozen of them, all wielding saps save one…apparently the leader as he walks in front of the band, who wields a whip. He attempts a grin, but the attempt just makes him look like he’s in severe discomfort, as he cracks the whip and addresses you with a impossibly loud, screeching voice.

Whip wielding brute

Still abed with the sun over the yardarm? On your feet, ye filthy swabs! Get up on deck and report for duty before Cap’n Harrigan flays your flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts fry ye up for breakfast!

Looking about the room you’re in, you can see a rather spacious room with pillars supporting the roof above. Hammocks are strung between them, and between some larger, round columns…masts. Each of you is well versed enough to recognize the construction when you see it...and the tell-tale swaying of the floor speaks to its true identity. There are stairs, leading up, past the six ruffians…you figure that you must be in the hold of a ship…and not a small one, by the looks of it.


Female Human Alchemist (beastmorph) 1 / Gunslinger 1

"Huh? What?"

Louly shakes her head groggily, trying to clear it of whatever fog remains after the beating she took. He seemed so nice. I should've known: Never trust a pirate ... Or I guess any good-looking boy.

Standing up, she looks around, trying to get a grasp on her situation.


Male Human Anti-Paladin (Lord of Darkness) / 1

The drink had definitely been a strong one, for Karn's head still pounded, and the familiar rocking of a ship made his stomach shift with its toxic contents. These sensations helped to make the mans screeching commands not fully register with Karn's muddled brain. Attempting to speak, the Karn asks, "Esciuse me. How'd I get here?"


We've been pressed into service mi'lady. Why am I shouting? Am I shouting? Has the rum wrecked havoc on my brain or was it the knock to the head?

Sit tight & play along. We'll fight our way out of this when the time is right. Gregor hopes he sounds more confident than he feels.


Male Human Swashbuckling Rogue 2

Bosun Moon tries to push himself up, but the swaying of the ship and the previous night's activities create a churning sensation in his stomach and he retches on the floorboards, then promptly collapses into his own purged bile.

Rolling out of his gut spew, the Bosun turns his blinking eyes to the scoundrel and appeals for a few moments of respite, really just hoping to gain the few moments by virtue of the useless appeal. "Aye, good sir, ye need not be so harsh on us swabs, give us a minute ta recover and we be topside in a jiffy."

Looking about the dark hold, the Moon sees his fellow drinkers from the previous evening in the tavern and a chipped tooth grin splits his face. "At least I'll be having good company on this floating tub!"


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Kehlysch gingerly pushes up into a kneeling poition, and rubs the lump on the back of his head.

"Where...am I? Last I remember was looking out at the sea..."

He looks around at the group of faces, all familiar, from the tavern, and then up at the group of vicious-looking men standing over him. He addresses the man with the whip.

"Pardon me, sir, but why hit me? I was looking to find work and passage on a ship. If you had simply asked me, I probably would have come with you freely."


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

"Aye this one as well. Though I did enjoy my tussle with the girl." Bendrauss begins to laugh but grabs his head from the screaming pain. "Ugh! Maybe it wasn't worth all this trouble after all" With some effort the big man gets his feet under himself. Scowling at the man with the screeching voice he heads for the ladderwell to get topside.

Gregor:
Ben puts a bear size hand on your shoulder as he heads to the ladderwell. As he does he softly whispers "Let's see what we can topside an' if the time comes, let us stick together." then he muscles past you.


Nice to see the big one up for a fight if it comes to it. Scratch that. When it comes to it. Must have taken at least three of them to take him down.

Gregor musters up some composure despite the protesting of his throbbing head. He nods at each ruffian in turn heading up to the deck, making steely eye contact with each man as he passes by.


Female Human Alchemist (beastmorph) 1 / Gunslinger 1

Seeing the others heading upstairs Is that the right word? I thought I'd learned more about ships at this point..., Louly decides to follow. I wonder what they'll want us to do.


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Kehlysch watches the others move up the stairway. He smoothly rises, and moves to follow.

He starts to ask a question of the whip - wielding man, but quickly thinks better of it, closes his mouth, and heads up after the others.


Male Human Swashbuckling Rogue 2

Bosun Moon pushes himself up and hobbles after the others.

Surely the last in line will be the first to get the whip, best not be me.


Male Human Anti-Paladin (Lord of Darkness) / 1

Seeing that the others were not waiting to get questions answered and the sneer of the whip wielding man, Karn decides it best to get his questions answered later as he follows after everyone else. Besmara guide us all to our well-earned fate, was all he thought as followed the others up onto the deck, doing a mental catalog of his things as he went.


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

The man fixes you each with a scowl that could certainly clean the barnacles from a shipwreck, then turns with an authority, claiming through his movements that he had no intention of answering your questions. Instead, he leads you up the stairs, his unruly posse of hooligans falling into step behind you. As you follow, you begin to adjust to your surroundings.

You can attempt the following rolls in order as you come back into the world of the living

DC 10 perception:
You discern the aftertaste of oily nutmeg on the tongue

DC 15 craft alchemy or DC 10 knowledge nature check if you succeeded at the last check:
This is a clear sign of oil of taggit poisoning. You can remember spicy rum, drink, and food last night...it was likely added to something you imbibed, or given to you after to keep you unconscious

DC 10 intelligence check can be made even if unsuccessful at the above checks:
You remember seeing the face of the whip-wielder last night at the tavern

You're led up into a large room that looks to be a cargo hold, though it seems to be currently empty, save for a dozen or so caged pigs that squeal and snort about in excitement at your appearance. You head up another set of steps, and emerge into the light. Momentarily blinded, you shield your eyes against another brilliant light...this time from the unyielding sun.

You find yourselves on the main deck of a ship, which runs between the foredeck and the poop deck. The mainmast rises from the center of the deck, extending probably 60 feet in to the air to a crow's nest. Craning your head back to view it, your stomachs roil in complaint...still haven't recovered from last night, it seems. Your survey is interrupted by the appearance of several other figures on deck. They all look up to the higher deck on the stern, where two figures stand. One of them is a broad, muscular man with a shaven head, a long beard bound with gold rings, and an eye patch...sure would make a fitting captain. The other is a younger, balding man with a long black ponytail, wearing a long coat and carrying a well-used cat-o'-nine-tails.

You notice, now, that you're not the only new recruits. Four others are standing with you on the deck, set apart by their relative cleanliness and their apparent unease with their newfound situation. A dozen or so pirates, clearly existing members of the crew, stand about on the deck or in the ship's rigging.

Eye patch
Ponytail


Female Human Alchemist (beastmorph) 1 / Gunslinger 1

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Craft (alchemy): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Int: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Louly looks around, wondering what they're going to do with her. Are they going to make us walk the plank? I know pirates do that.


Male Human Swashbuckling Rogue 2

Bosun Moon struggles as he climbs the steps, still woozy from the previous evening. His eyes scan his surroundings during the ascension to the main deck.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 (Bosun Moon perceives a headache from last night)

The Moon's spirits sink as he sees the grim captain and the band of pirates. The words of Gregor seem apt, "Sit tight & play along. We'll fight our way out of this when the time is right.", and the Moon decides to follow that advice.

Intelligence check: 1d20 ⇒ 8 (Spoilers spoiled!)

Besmara blesses us in strange ways, considers the Moon as he glances at his peg leg, perhaps this is another of her blessings and this ship be ours 'fore long. Bosun Moon considers the ship again, hope welling up unshackled from the previous misery.


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Intelligence: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Kehlysch looks at the group of fearsome men surrounding him and his fellow captives. He tries to remain expressionless as his mind rushes about trying to process everything.

Pirates! Real Pirates! What did the other fellow say...pressed into service...that must be what happened to us...drugged and dragged onto this...Pirate Ship! I wanted to sail, but not like this! What will they do to me if they find out I'm not...normal. Maybe I should make a break...just run for the side and dive...

Kehlysch looks out at the sea, for any indication of land.


Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Knowledge: Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Slipped something into our drinks, did they? Can't say as I took my eyes off my cup for even a second. They must have been a man on the inside. No matter...there will be a reckoning.

No worries...this lot doesn't mean to kill us. Gregor whispers in an effort to console the woman from the night before. They'll just try to work us so hard that we'll wish we were dead. Hmm...that last bit didn't help matters now, did it? I shudder to think just how they'll put her to work...I best keep that thought to myself.


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

It's apparent now that you're in the middle of the ocean, far from any land. Port Peril and the mainland of the Shackles are just an ochre haze many miles astern.


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

Perception:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Intelligence1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
These sea dogs look like trouble, and I know that ones face from last night!... Well it feels good ta have the salty air on my face again at least. Now, where's that other feller? We had best be ready... And what is this taste in my mouth?
Bendrauss takes in the scene. He shows a slight relief on his face, but it quickly fades. He searches around looking for Gregor and moves to stand near him, nodding ever so slightly as he does.
"Well ye salt dogs! Where is this cap'n o' yours eh? And What ship this be?" Ben puts a show of puffing up and speaks more loudly. As he addresses the man who he recognizes from the night before.Hope this works.I be a top notch sailer, and I can swim and climb with the best o' them an I'm not against workin aboard this ship but I don't be doin it for free. All I ask is a small piece o' the plunder."
If possible/applicable: Intimidate:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Male Human Anti-Paladin (Lord of Darkness) / 1

Following the others, Karn stays wary of the men both before him and behind him. As such, he keeps his eyes peeled for anything that these brutes might do. Karn works his mouth as he walks, trying to get the odd nutmeg taste out of his mouth.

He had not had much experience working a pirate ship, nor had he ever been press ganged, but the young cleric had had enough experience to know that it was better to stay quiet until ordered to do otherwise. As such, he simply continued to follow along, not giving away much so much as a word. When Bendrauss speaks, Karn grimaces a little This man is not one for subtlety, is he?

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Intelligence:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Female Human Alchemist (beastmorph) 1 / Gunslinger 1

Louly gives a grateful nod at Gregor's words. "Be careful," she whispers. "I think they slipped oil of taggit into our food or drink. It may not be safe to eat anything they give us. ... Though I guess we might not have any choice."


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

The eyes of the man with the ponytail light up with fire at the audacity of Bendrauss. The man with the whip uncoils it on the deck, ready to strike. The large man with the eye patch, however, merely lets loose with a rumbling chuckle that turns into a full blown guffaw. He laughs heartily for several moments before looking down upon his new work force. His wicked grin promises much, none of which could be considered pleasant.

Some spark in ya', then...good! I need that in my crew; just get too much and Mister Plugg 'ere will gladly flay the skin from your back! He opens his arms wide to indicate the entirety of the ship, in a welcoming gesture. Glad you could join us at last! Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for "volunteering" to join my crew. I'm Barnabas Harrigan. That's Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you'll ever need to address me. I have only one rule - don't speak to me. I like talk, but I don't like your talk. Follow that rule, and we'll get along fine.

Oh, and one more thing. Even with you new recruits, we're still short-handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There'll be a keelhaulin' for anyone caught killin' anyone. Mr. Plugg! If you'd be so kind as to make pirates out of these landlubbers, it'll save me having to put them in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of 'em.

His piece said, the captain walks away, leaving behind the man with the cat-o'-nine-tails...apparently Mister Plugg. He looks down at you and smiles unpleasantly, as he follows the steps down to the main deck. Alright, first spot to fill! I need another rigger; you lot look less than worthless, but yer the choices given to me. Get on up to that crow's next...now! The fastest one up is my rigger.

The crow's nest is 60 feet above the deck and accessible by climbing the rigging. If you choose to climb, please roll 4 consecutive climb checks DC10; remember that you climb at 1/4 your base speed, unless you have accelerated climb. I'll RP/summarize that as a round, then you can roll the rest, based upon how far you've gotten. Alternatively, you could deliberately try to fail the check with a bluff check, or refuse to do it at all.


Male Human Anti-Paladin (Lord of Darkness) / 1

Looking up at the rigging of the ship, Karn frowns. His voyage to Port Peril had seen him helping out on the ship he had traveled on, however, the rigging was still a place he was as of yet, unfamiliar with. However, he wasn't one to give up on the chance to try new things. Spitting into his hands, the mans says pleasantly, "Come on gents. I'm not one for climbing, so you more seasoned folk should be able to pass me up with little trouble." For those who had spoken with the lad before, you can tell that his speech has returned to the educated rhythm from before. This man was certainly not the type to mingle with pirates.

I am rolling with the assumption that we are unarmored. If that isn't the case, then please adjust the rolls compensating for an armored coat.

Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19


Female Human Alchemist (beastmorph) 1 / Gunslinger 1

Well, I guess climbing beats what I thought could happen, Louly thinks, as she reaches for the ropes. You'd think they could set up some proper ladders, though.

I gather we can't just take 10? If not, rolls are below.

Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

If I end up working up there, I won't be anywhere near the water. That would be BAD. VERY BAD. Maybe I can fake clumsiness ...about a quarter way up.

Climb check: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Bluff check (lose footing):1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

The above rolls assume no armor. Subtract 3 from each roll if I am wearing armor.

Gregor files up to the crow's nest, nearly slipping toward the end. A bird's eye view of the crew will help me to discern their patterns.


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
I also assume no armor.
Bendrauss springs for the rigging. This'd be a great job to fer keepin an eye on things.
Ben finds the climb to be easier than expected slowing slightly toward the middle.


Male Human Swashbuckling Rogue 2

Bosun Moon looks ruefully at his peg leg.

Oye, I's best be learning to climb, peg leg or no, now be as good time as any.

The Moon lurches to the rigging, his peg leg thunking away on the planks, and starts the ascent to the crow's nest.

Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

double fumble, perfect for the peg leg!

Bosun Moon immediately puts his peg leg through the rigging and face plants on the deck. Undeterred by his failure, he pulls himself up by the rigging and gives it another go, only to slip again, this time dropping into the rigging and taking a cross rope to the groin before flipping over and sprawling across the deck a second time. Grumbling with frustration, he pulls himself up again and makes brief progress on his third attempt, before yet again crashing to the deck in a heap. But he's learned the skill and his fourth attempt is perfect, he moves like an old sea dog across the ropes clearing ten feet with ease, only to look upward and see Bendrauss and Gregor looking down at him from their comfortable perch in the crow's nest.

Showoffs, I'd a been there in a wee moment, I would have.


Gregor looks down at the one-legged man as he struggles to climb the rigging. Moon....is that his name? He keeps a keen eye on Plugg in case he needs to scurry down to intervene.


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

Bendrauss looks down the rigging to where the rest of the group has stalled. "Oye! C'mon lads an lassies! You can do it!" For those who can see Ben doesn't appear to have a mocking tone. In fact he seems to be having a good time and enjoying himself. He then turns to Gregor and speaks a little quieter.

Gregor:
Well friend, while we are up 'ere without prying eyes and ears, I be Bendrauss, you look ta be a fair seaman yerself and able to handle a weapon. What say we work together? Ya know watch each others backs.


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Kehlysch sees nearly everyone scramble easily up the ropes.

No purpose in bluffing. One of them has the job, for certain.

He gives up his pathetic act and climbs back down to the deck. He watches Mr. Plugg from the corner of his eye.

Don't use the whip. I'm not worth the effort.


Bendrauss:
I'm called Gregor my new friend...and we may just find our way out of this yet. These lads didn't search me as thoroughly as they should have, as I always carry a dagger tucked in my boot should the need arise.


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

Karn sets to climbing, and immediately loses purchase and falls back to the main deck. Mister Plugg cackles with laughter at the sight, waving his hand in a dismissive gesture as if to say..."well, go try again." Karn does just that, and quickly scrambles up almost halfway to the crow's nest.

Louly follows and, although she hits a difficult spot just after starting, she keeps pace with Karn. Both of them look down to the deck, over twenty feet below, and hope that they can maintain their grip.

Kehlysch's slip-up is noticed by Mister Plugg, and the man screeches at the fallen man. Faking it, are we? There'll be no shirking aboard the Wormwood! He immediately lets loose with his cat-o'-nine-tails, flaying the gillman's back as he tumbles back down to the deck. After he strikes, he looks at Kehlysch's back and neck, seeming to examine something.

Kehlysch takes 6 pts of nonlethal damage. The punishment has shown some of your back and, thus, neck. Please use a bluff or stealth check to cover up for or hide your heritage, if you with to do so. Specifically, your gills are showing, though one would imagine that your appearance is exotic enough to possibly clue one in in any event.

Gregor and Bendrauss quickly set to climbing, each showing athletic prowess and a comfort with the design. Bendrauss takes a slight lead, leaving Gregor at the same level as Louly and Karn. The larger man is a full body's length ahead of the others.

Bosun Moon's performance was so poor from the word "now", that Mister Plugg may have been angry, had he not been so amused. The man cackles in glee and elbows the bearded whip-wielder, whom you've now heard to be Master Scourge, and points. Moon seems to recover at the end, but can only make it a body's length off of the main deck before his peg leg once again gets stuck.

Please give me 6 more rolls to see who makes it. Bendrauss is exactly half way; Louly, Karn, and Gregor are exactly 7-1/2 feet behind. Moon is 22-1/2 feet behind, and Kehlysch is on the main deck, currently being punished. Kehlysch - should you wish to take some sort of combat action, please include an initiative roll.


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Bluff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"Looking at my scars, are you, sir? The old fishwife I worked for used to cut on me with oyster shells if I brought back too small a haul from my dive..(gasp)...that whip of yours reminds me of home."

Kehlsych stands back up and faces Mr. Plugg.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Ready action - Full Defense - if Mr. Plugg swings the whip again


Female Human Alchemist (beastmorph) 1 / Gunslinger 1

Louly lets out a quick scream as her foot slips in the net.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Ouch; I'm assuming this is going to hurt.


Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Gregor continue his ascent easily until shortly before reaching the top when a crack of a whip causes him to lose his footing ever so slightly.


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

Mister Plugg's eyes track down and away from Kehlysch...apparently he's oblivious to his real nature. Kehlysch's quick recovery and hiding of his neck helped the situation immensely. The sadisitic first mate calls out again. So...are you to climb now, or do you need another lick of the serpent?


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Kehlysch sighs in resignation and once again tries to negotiate the rigging.

Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 11


Male Human Swashbuckling Rogue 2

Bosun Moon continues his ascent, gripping the rigging and doing his best to reach the crow's nest. The cat-o'-nine-tails cracks below and the Bosun finds a new reserve of energy to tap for the climb.

Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

(may as well have been rolling a d8)

Alas, it is not to be, Bosun Moon struggles with the rigging, but the art of climbing escapes him with nearly every step.


Male Human Anti-Paladin (Lord of Darkness) / 1

Looking at his situation, he didn't really want to become a rigger, or even a back up rigger. So, looking down on the deck below, Karn was about to cause a spectacle to save the men below further taunting until he saw them get back up and try once more. Looking to the woman next to him, Karn simply shrugs his shoulders as he continues to climb. Just as he did so, he heard the woman's cries as she slipped but was unable to grab the woman in the unaccustomed positioning on the rope.

Continuing to climb, he covers another 10 or 15 feet before he too loses his grip, falling one or two feet before recovering and nabbing the rope of the rigging. Getting purchase once more, the admitted inexperienced man makes up his lost ground and then some before once more slipping and barely catching a loop of rope. Letting out a grunt, he once more attempts to recover. I knew that it wouldn't be easy to learn more of your lessons Lady Besmara, but I never thought it would get this hard so quickly, Karn thought to himself as he fought through the pain of his already rope burned hands and the throbbing of his head.

Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Climb:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Climb:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Ben turns back to the task at hand Good!He shouts to Gregor. A look of determination returning to his face.
It occurred to me after that I may not have needed the last two rolls. Apologies.


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

Louly’s slip costs her precious altitude; she attempts to recover, but her efforts appear to be too little and too late, as some of the men of the group ascend like the more agile monkeys of the Mwangi Expanse.

Kehlysch moves up only slightly, but he still ends up a full two body lengths above Moon, who miraculously ends up back on the deck. Karn makes more progress than both of them, but even Besmara’s luck can’t help him catch Gregor and Bendrauss, who are neck and neck as they ascend the rigging.

At the last moment, Gregor’s hand slips and, though he falls only a few feet, it is enough to make him a close second behind the uncannily agile Bendrauss. Bendrauss hauls himself over the railing of the crow’s nest, and Mister Plugg cracks his whip only seconds later.

Looks like we have ourselves a new rigger! Now get yer ass down here; you’ll be working directly for me now. He sneers at those who didn’t make it to the top. The rest of ya’ louts get down here too! There’s work to be done, and the lot of ya’ are so pathetic that it’ll be tough to figure out what you’d be capable of.

Mister Plugg waits until everyone’s feet are on the main deck, then walks to Bosun Moon. You...can you cook? And, if you say “better than I climb”, I’ll rip the skin from yer back. Haven’t seen a try at the crow’s next that poor since I’ve been on this tub.


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Kehlysch makes his way back down to the deck. He stands patiently as the others descend, but he never takes his eyes off of the sadistic officer.

Ready action: Full Defense, if Plugg tries to strike again.


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

Aye sir! Ben yells from the crows nest. He maneuvers down the rigging once more until his feet hit the deck. Ah tis good to be back at sea. He says to no one in particular.[b] If only this headache would go away!Bendrauss then stands to the side while Mister Plugg speaks, his usual look of disinterest returning to his face.

GM Rapscallion:
Bendrauss is trying to look disinterested while he studies the other PC's. He wants to find potential allies and discern what all they may be capable of. I think that would be perception.1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


Male Human Anti-Paladin (Lord of Darkness) / 1

Making his way back to the deck, Karn looks calm. Before stepping off the final rope and facing Mister Plugg, Karn double checks to make sure the silver engraved holy symbol that hung from his neck was still hidden among the folds of his clothing.

His relatively well-kept appearance only marred by the sweat from his workout, Karn wears durable traveling clothes following a Magnimarian style. He speaks rather eloquently and has had a solid education. In truth, he looks the type that would not normally be accustomed to travel on a ship, as evidence of his already rope burned hands. However, seeing the lad stand on the deck, it is obvious that this is not his first time on a ship based off of the way he naturally adjusts his weight to compensate for the rocking of the ship.

He turns calmly to face the man with the cat of nine tails. Also looking around at the other new recruits, he mentally catalogs their capabilities. Those two might be capable. And the odd looking one, with the way he climbs, must have some hidden talent that goes beyond the physical, he thinks to himself. He was glad to be in an environment that would please the Pirate Queen, but he had a suspicion that it was also a dangerous environment. Any friends he could make could only work to his advantage. "What would you have of us Mister Plugg?"

Bluff:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Bluff roll to hide his nervousness


Even with his throbbing headache, Gregor manuevers easily on deck, instinctively compensating for the ship's rocky movements. His clothes are stained yet appear to be of fine quality. He has a confidence about him that suggests he is typically the man who is giving the orders and yet seems perfectly comfortable following them as well. For the time being anyway.

He moves to stand near the man who was whipped and lowers his voice to a whisper. You may want to take the job of scrubbing this deck. Build up those arm muscles. Because before the week is out that one will be cowering before you, and you'll be the one holding the whip.

Gregor gives Bendrauss a knowing nod before fixing his stare on Plugg.


Male Gillman Aberrant-bloodline Sorcerer/2nd

Kehlysch stands about six feet tall and is of lean and wiry build. His face and head are completely hairless; even lacking eyebrows. His skin has a sheen, as if anointed with some sort of oil. His eyes are large, and have an iridescent sparkle that makes the color hard to determine. His nose and mouth are small, relative to the size of his face. He wears a simple, grungy robe, stained and smelling slightly of saltwater and fish. The collar of the robe currently rests high on his neckline; higher than the cut would cause it to fall naturally. He watches Mr. Plugg intently, his hands closed into fists.

He replies soflty to his fellow captive with a barely perceptible nod.


Male Human Fighter (Corsair)/2

Standing six feet tall Bendrauss has a heavy build of muscle. His dark olive skin is weathered and heavily tattooed. A large gold ring can be seen hanging from each ear under his thick mane of black hair. He wears a thick leather band around his neck with no shirt at all. For pants we wears a pair of practical wool breeches that are easily rolled to his knees accompanied by a pair of weathered black boots made of leather.


Male Human Swashbuckling Rogue 2

Bosun Moon grins widely at Mister Plugg's challenge, his stained, chipped teeth setting uneven rows in the leering grin that stretches lines in his tanned, weather face. His oily hair remains slicked back despite his repeated tumbles to the deck, the thinning top showing peeks of a sunburned scalp beneath the black strands. A black goatee bristles on his chin, the first hints of gray streaking through it. His loose fitting clothes are stained from too many nights spent in portside taverns and too little time spent at the task of washing. A fresh blotch sticks the shirt to his chest where he fell in his own bile in the hull below.

"Aye Mista' Plugg, tis a tough question that is, yous seen me climb an ye must know I's can do everything better than that trick. But cookin', nay, I's be more of an eater I do. Set me efforts ta sailin' or repairin' this tub an I won't disappoint, gives me a sturdy base it does."


Male Human Taskmaster and Overlord / 10

Mister Plugg narrows his eyes at Karn, but he doesn't seem to feel the need to respond. He also doesn't eidicule the young man, perhaps sensing an air of confidence, real or manufactured, and deciding that it was not worth the effort. He sneers at Moon. Sounds like ye'll be cleanin' out tha' bilges and swabbin' me deck then.

He moves down to the next in line, Master Scourge a looming specter behind him. Whether by chance or by the man's unconcsious stereotyping, he looks to Louly. Woman; I'm sure ye' can make a fine meal, right?

By now, a bit of a crowd is gathered on the main deck, watching the selection process. One fetching human woman, standing a bit away from the others, looking quite interested in the newcomers.

1 to 50 of 989 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The voyage begins! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.