Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

GM Poisonbladed's Into the Haunted Forest (Inactive)

Game Master Ross Hearne aka poisonbladed

Dare you take that first dreadful step? Is that the wind? What was that snap? Safely assume that it is your death one way or the other.


1 to 50 of 216 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

You each travel along a road that skirts a light forest on the east and farmland on the west. The silence is only interrupted by the occasional lowing of cow or the chattering of upset squirrel. The day is cool but could grow warm as summer is just beginning. It is early evening. The sun has set, but there are still several hours of light left. Perhaps you can make the Traveler’s Stop Inn by dark.

Post when ever you like. We start as Tears and Endar meet on the road. As they talk and walk Janya hears them, the Felix hears them.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

The nerve of those peasants to send me on an errand! Father will hear of this! This is NOT my idea of adventure and excitement...slogging through mud on the side of the road like a commoner...bah...this is... Endare is snapped from his own thoughts as he comes to a crossroads and sees the biggest elf he has ever encountered! Endare cautiously approaches the extremely large elf. "Hail traveler!" Endare calls out, keeping his distance. "I am looking for an inn that I was told was north of here. Per chance you have heard of it?" Noticing the rather large blade the elf is carrying, Endare stops about 80' away from the elf.


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

Janya had left the previous inn early. Dawn always seemed like a safe time to travel. It was too late for any thief to stay awake, light enough to see, and early enough that most people were still asleep. And it didnt hurt that years of waking up for the first bell had made it so that sleeping late was almost impossible.

She had noticed several other travelers that said they were heading towards the Traveler's Stop Inn. It was supposed to be close enough to make easily during the day. Janya had wrapped up some bread the innkeeper was nice enough to give her: a few slightly burnt ends, and the leftovers from the previous day. If Janya had pushed it, he might have given more; the man was grateful to have anyone to talk to that early in the morning.

A little rest and meditation time had seemed like a good idea. Janya thought she had time to spare. A short nap in a field not too near the road, and time spent in thought about the beauty of the countryside, the graceful natural order that Shelyn had no doubt played a part in. The setting was so peaceful, and so serene that Janya looked up and was startled to see that the sun was on its way down. A good thing that there is still some time during dusk to walk.

Janya began collecting her things and wrapping the blanket back up.


Male Elf Barbarian

The cool air comforted the elf as he plodded along the old road. Tears’ belly still full from the food offered him earlier, he oddly broke his routine of hunting dinner. Still, his instinct called like the brave animals that busied themselves so close to the path. Taking a moment to fixate his mind upon the road, he hummed an old song about a warrior taking shelter from a storm within cave that turned out to be a wolf den.

Lost in thought, the elf hardly heard the initial calls of the man behind him. He sluggishly spun his frame to regard the man, obviously not dressed for the road and with a fair share of mud on his person. Tears grunted once and then tried to recall the trade tongue.

“Eh…hail indeed. Aye, I hear such a place is near.” He scanned the road with new eyes and taking a moment to get his bearings. Gesturing in the direction he discerned to be the north road, “Tis thata’way, I shall be going there myself.”


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

Not one to pass up the opportunity to travel with one so..uh...menacing...Endare moves a bit closer. "Thank you very much, perhaps we could travel there together, my name is Endare Declane...and you are..."


Felix will calmly move to where he can see everyone involved. he is more amused by this odd grouping of people than frightened. he'll hang back and listen.


Stealth / Perception - roll if you want to, personally it doesn't matter to me


Male Elf Barbarian

"My clansman call me Tears of the Sky, male child of Othek Giantbane. It is...good to meet you, Master Declane." The elf stutters over his words, his accent revealing it may not be his first language. "Together would be good, you will tell me of yourself, yes? How you got here, on the road I mean."

He gives an approving grunt and a nod, satisfied with his grammar.


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

Janya gathers her things, tossing the remnants of her lunch into the field. She had hope for a hot meal later, and didnt want to worry about crumbs in her things. Folding the blanket up, she stuffed it in her pack. Swinging the pack up onto her shoulders, she took a stretch before bending down to pick up the glaive.

Janya thought about why she still carried it. Theoretically, she was still a cleric of Shelyn. The thing marked her clearly as one, and the years of training was hard to let go of. Still, the thing stood out like a sore thumb. Not that a half-orc cleric didnt.

Looking around, she started the walk back to the road. Fifty feet away she looked back to the way she came and saw two men talking near the crossroads. Janya dropped, kneeling and trying to hide to let them pass. Too much to risk.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

"Nice to meet you as well Tears of the Sky. As to how I got on this road....sigh....The coach I had booked passage on broke an axle. The coachmen asked me..ME to fetch another one! Not sure they understand who I am..." noticing the odd look from Tears, Endare breaks off his story...remembers that he is no longer on his father's estate, gathers his composure and continues. "My apologies for my outburst. I am fairly new to the adventurer's path and have yet to fully shake the mantle of luxury off my character. How does one of your standing find himself on this road?"

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 does Endare notice the half-orc in the field?


Male Elf Barbarian

Tears is more amused then insulted by the outburst and chuckles quietly to himself, then takes a look at is surroundings and sniffs the air. "I would say bad luck found you today, but I wonder if perhaps these 'coachmen' are bandits. Did you pay them first, only to have them leave you?"

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

"I travel north to my home, there was an...incident on my boat. Bandits of a kind."


That is up to the player. I didn't see a stealth roll. If no stealth roll then yes you both beat 10.


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

Janya tries to hide from the two unknown men approaching.

Stealth: 1d20 ⇒ 1

The attempts at trying to hide are pretty ineffective. Looking around, Janya realizes that in a field, there arent too many places to appear inconspicuous. She sighs before standing up and awaiting the inevitable. She holds her glaive in as non-threatening a way as possible.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

"Is that....a.....a half-orc!?!? In the middle of a field!?!" Not sure what to do in this situation, Endare attempts to move into a position that puts Tears in between himself and the half-orc.


perception to notice the half orc 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

stealth to hide 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

draws a dagger and waits


@gm:
just to claify, Felix has no intention of getting into a fight he just wants to make sure that should one arise from this half orc that he's prepared to choose a winning side.


Male Elf Barbarian

Staring into the field he mutters, "Not a friend of yours? This crossroad is busy this hour." Keeping one eye on the conspicuously out of place man, he calls out to the figure in the distance, "Approach and be...counted."

Using the angle of his stance, he casually loosens the leather strap holding his morningstar.

Dex Check (if it matters): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

Janya sighs as the two men notice her quickly. The larger of the two, and he was fairly large, yelled at her. Well, I've got to do this right. The two of them are more than I could handle. But I'm a cleric, nothing to be afraid of, right? Who would harm a cleric?

Janya steps out onto the road, waiting for the men to approach. She sets the glaive on the ground, carefully taking off the leather guard protecting the blade. Cant be completely off guard.

Good evening, gentlemen. It seems I'm not the only traveler caught on the road as night approaches. I hear there's an inn not too far ahead we might be able to make before it gets completely dark. Janya tries to keep her voice upbeat and cheerful.

Oh goodness, I forgot to introduce myself. Janya, humble cleric of Shelyn, humbled to meet you all. It seems I lost track of time meditating in the field over there.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

Using his quarterstaff as a walking stick, Endare moves to address the cleric. "Greetings Janya, I am Endare Declane and this is Tears of the Sky. What brings you to this crossroads?"


@gm:
Knowledge local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 checking to see if i have heard of any of them before i go introduce myself.


Felix:
nope, you have not. You do know the the Inn the female half orc just mentioned.


Male Elf Barbarian

He nods through the short exchange while studying the woman, finally adding to the questions, "Where is this 'Shelyn' place?"

Realizing she claims to be a priest he relaxes his stance and moves his hand away from his weapon to cross his arms.


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

What brings me here is the hope of a warm meal, a roof over my head and a lock on my door, Mr. Declane. Janya realizes she needs a good impression. Unfortunately I lost track of time.

Janya looked at the large elf. Supposedly Elves were smart creatures, but there hadnt been any at the temple, and she had never met one. Supposedly orcs were evil too, so perhaps there were two exceptions to these rules.

Mr. Sky, Shelyn is a god, one of beauty and love. I happen to be a cleric, a sort of priest, who has pledged her life to Shelyn. Where are you two headed? Janya has a feeling the two are harmless. Well, the dandy-looking one, at least. Maybe the two of them could help protect her. She could always help out afterwards; after all, a good deed should not go without its rewards.

I hate to say, but I wouldnt mind some companionship. Its a little lonely going it, well, alone.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

"Please, call me Endare. We are headed to the inn." A GOOD half-orc?!?! will wonders never cease! Endare thinks to himself. Only on the road for a short time and already my horizons have expanded.

"I don't have a problem with another one to join us, do you Tears?"


Male Elf Barbarian

"Hmm, I see. Forgive my ignorance. I have no issue with Lady Janya. I should like to see her skill with that weapon. Also, I would hear more of Shelyn if you are...permitted to speak of it."

Tears offers Janya a polite nod and gestures to the glaive.


He sheaths his dagger and moves to the road. "You all make alot of noise. It's nearing nightfall and you're not out of the woods yet. AHAHA!! he laughs loudly.

That was a good one. I'm Felix Droverson, son of Haden Droverson and if you all plan on making it through the night, you'll be needing my help."

Felix moves up to the group


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

A bit startled by the sudden appearance of this man, Endare says "Why do think we would fail to make it through the night without your assistance? Is there something we should know about you or these woods?"


Male Elf Barbarian

He spins to regard the next newcomer. Suddenly Tears didn't trust anyone, for miles he saw no one only to be approached by three in a matter of seconds. This was a trick, or maybe a dream? Some waking vision granted by the spirits? He didn't understand.

To the new spirit he asks, "Indeed, what of the woods, stranger?" He's clearly on edge now. Anyone familiar with martial training sees him fall into a fighting stance.


"be at ease Tears of the sky. Im not proposing to rob you. An upfront fight where im clearly outnumbered isnt my idea of a good time. Im mearly suggesting that this group could benifit from my services. If i was able to sneak up on you so easily wouldnt it stand to reason that others could do the same? Others with nefarious agendas?"


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

Like Mr. of the Sky, I have to wonder what scam this might be. I remember a petitioner who came to ask help. A seemingly trustworthy man went to a family and let them know their home was at risk of being burgled. He offered to replace the locks, and help bar the windows, for a modest fee. Would you be surprised to learn that he then burgled the home himself?

Janya squats and picks up the glaive. I would like to believe you have no harm in mind, but I am hoping to make it to the inn before night completely sets in. We can talk until dark, but perhaps we should walk.

Janya looks at the three. If anyone would care to join me, perhaps we can have a nice chat. She turns and begins walking down the road, images of a warm dinner on her mind.


When you all start off give me perception checks.

You can still converse at your leisure, by all means I am quite enjoying it. I don't often give out the DCs on certain skill checks. You having a potential +8/+4 (because of Hero Points) bonus is unfair to those skills. Normally when I am at table I roll Perceptions for people.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

"She has a point. Relax Tears of the Sky....what could possible go wrong?" With that Endare follows Janya and falls into a mild conversation of what it's like to be a half-orc in today's society, because, honestly, Endare had never encountered one in his social circle. Come to think of it, Endare's entire social circle was comprised of mainly humans, elves, and half-elves.


Male Elf Barbarian

Tears eyes the latecomer one last time, then sees Janya's attitude and relaxes somewhat. Though this could all be some complicated plot to rob the large, surly elf with little coin to his name, it seemed very unlikely. Perhaps fate’s hand was at work here.

The thought of a warm fire and potential drink puts him further at ease and without a word he begins striding down the road after the lady.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Janya smiles to herself as the men join her on the road. Endar seemed like a nice guy. Sheltered, but so was Janya. Tears of the Sky, on the other hand, was a little more intense.

Tell us a little about yourself. You're an interesting man, what with a huge sword and... charming disposition. Ah, and sorry for the teasing about your name. How would you prefer to be addressed?


Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Felix walks causally with the group. feeling more at ease than maybe he should. he keeps an eye on the Barbarian. He seems like the most likely to swing first and ask questions later. best to keep him at ease.


Tears of the Sky and Felix hear the sounds of dogs growling and snarling. There is a feint echo of something like a dog fight. This heard around the noisy cawing of a nearby Crow, the chirping of crikets, the peeping of frogs, the tink of cow bells, and the sleight wind.

It is heard coming from the direction you all are going. The Barbarian and Rogue can roll a Survival or Intelligence check to gauge the distance.

Janya only hears the beauty of the country coming alive at dusk.

Endar's Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Such is that he is to distracted by the sounds of talking and crunch of gravel.


Male Elf Barbarian

“No apologies required, as I told Master Declane my clansmen call me Tears of the Sky, male child of Othek Giantbane. In less formal company, Tears is suitable.”

He changes is pace slightly to catch up to Janya. ”The North wind carries the sound of even more company. Wild animals maybe.”

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


int roll: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

"the big guy makes a good point. perhaps you all should ready blades and I'll keep an eye on things from the shadows"

Felix slips away and takes a position on the side of the road. doing so he draws what looks like the lower half of a greatsword. the handle has the image of a Raven grabbing a snake.

Stealth 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

I dont hear anything out of the ordinary.

Janya stops walking, as all she heard was the sound of gravel and dirt beneath her feet. Listening harder, she still noticed nothing amiss, just the sounds of birds and crickets. To be fair, I dont know all that much about what to look for. We should keep going, right? I dont know if we want to be stuck out here after dark...

Janya trailed off, getting a little nervous. She gripped her glaive, doubling as a walking stick at the moment, just a little tighter before she began walking again.


Echoing off of trees the sound is too fuddled to judge the distance. Though the fight seems to have stopped. Still now that the sounds were pointed out everyone can hear them.

Do you keep moving on down the road?


Male Elf Barbarian

Were he in different company, stalking through the woods would be more prudent. However, getting the others lost in the dark this close to a warm bed seemed silly. Surely this region is populated enough to ward away the worst of savage beasts. "I am confident enough that we can scare off any creature of the woods." Tears continues down the road, more vigilant.


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

His heart racing at the thought of a possible conflict, Endare stops next to Janya and prepares to launch his quarterstaff.

init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21


seems like a good time to move it along

Moving together wether hiding in the scrubbery, nervously jumping at shadows (lol Endar), gripping their polearm, or boldly striding forward the group rounds the bend in the road into unknown danger. A group of coyotes greats them feeding on the remains of what looks like a man. His abdomen exposed to the bloody muzzels of the starving beasts. Wild deep brown eyes glare at you in outrage. Hackles raise as the alhpa growls, and stalks towards Tears. The other lesser canines errupt in a high pitch laughing insantiy that echos off the trees.

Round 1 Iniatitive
Coyote (aka dogs with trip) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Endar - looks like he rolled 21
Tears - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Janya - 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Felix - going last because he doesn't have the stat blocks up on his alias. Please do so, before you take your turn. I believe you have it at Mythweavers but for my sanity I require that it is here.

On the Road

Order of Combat
Tears
Endar
Coyotes
Janya
Felix

Post when ever you like but at the top of your post you should have this.

Round #, Hit Points current/max, spells in effect and their duration current/max,

Example - Round 4, HP 45/60, Spells: Haste 7/10, Wall of Fire 1/10

You are to label each combat post in according to your round action. There is to be no bunny hopping rounds of combat. Meaning you can only post for the current round. When all parties have acted/posted for the current round we move onto the next round of combat. Careful reading and timing is important. Though you do not have to post in order.


Male Elf Barbarian

Round 1, Hit Points 13/13

Tears comes to a stop, reaches over his shoulder and draws Shattertusk, leveling the long blade toward the alpha. He then bellows a roar at the beast in an attempt to make it think twice about taking another step forward.

Intimidate (Demoralize): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10 Possible +4 for size.


Round 1 NPC Coyotes 5/5

Damn close Tears, Endar could aid other here.

Jackle and Elven eyes meet, the canis is onconcern.

My meat, My pack, My blood...MORE blood...killpackkill,hunt,death,SURVIVE

Coyotes attack.

Alpha to charge Tears, 2 (T15) and 3 (V17) move to attack. Felix for an AoO on number three, before he posts his round/during that post. Apparently the coyotes did not spot him, tsk.

4 takes a double move to U14

5 moves in to the body and begins feeding frantically.

Alpha Bite1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 2 = 8 Confirm1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 3 + 2 = 18 Damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Trip 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

2 Bite1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15 Confirm1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 Damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 Trip 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

3 Bite1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 Confirm1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 Damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Trip 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Clearly the AoO or Endar can directly effect this. If not it carries through.


Female Half-Orc Cleric (Shelyn) 1

First combat. Be gentle and feel free to correct me.

Round one. HP: 10/10

Janya has the presence of mind to drop her glaive as she reached down to grab the light crossbow from her belt and load it. Her hands shook as e pulled back on the lever and loaded the bolt.

I think that counts as two move actions and a free action. Is that OK?


Janya
Yep if it wasn't loaded it sure takes up those actions. However you can cock it with no bolt, and carry it just like that. I allow this and you probably didn't know that. Drawing it and the bolt is the same move action. Dropping a weapon is a free action. I limit free actions to 5 in one turn.

So you can fire on your turn. Remember if you fire into melee you take a -4 to your attack roll. As you go after the coyotes only 4 and 5 are not in melee. 5 will have soft cover from you due to all the things in your way (gives it a +2 to its AC from you).


round: 1, HP: 7/7

Felix is going to move into position to flank the coyote attacking tears and attack with his broken great sword

Attack1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Damage1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (1) = 5 sneak attack included


Male Human (Taldan) lvl 1 Wizard 400XP

Round 1, HP: 7/7....first time playing a wizard..if others have suggestions for me, please feel free to post in the discussion thread.Endare focuses his attention at the wolf at U14 and starts to chant softly while swirling his fingers..He then shouts "Blesath!!" and points at the wolf. A burst of energy flies from his finger and hits the wolf...MagicMissle: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Elf Barbarian

Round 2, Hit Points 15/15, Spells: Rage 5/5

The elf wishes to finish this quickly by taking down the pack alpha. Hopefully that should end the conflict and needless killing. He roars with fury and steps outside his mind.

He puts all his strength into is swing and executes a downward chop toward the alpha coyote's back.

Free Action: Activate Rage
Attack Action w/Power Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 Confirm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 5) + 9 = 19

1 to 50 of 216 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / In the forest of the night All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.