Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Peachbottom's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Peachbottom

Chapter Three: Escape from Old Korvosa
Part One: Into the Dying City

Intelligence Rerolls: Spend a Harrow Point to reroll any one Intelligence-based skill check. You must abide by the new result (although if you have additional Harrow Points remaining, you can use them to attempt additional rerolls).

Flash of Insight: Spend a Harrow Point to be able to make a skill check in an untrained skill you don’t normally have ranks in. You gain a one-time +5 insight bonus on this skill check.

Arcane Wrath: Spend a Harrow Point to increase the strength of an arcane spell as it is cast. This spell gains a +2 bonus on its save DC, a +4 bonus on its caster level check to overcome spell resistance, and a +2 bonus on any attack rolls needed to strike the target.

Roll Card: Gain a +2 bonus on all rolls modified by Intelligence, and all arcane spells cast by him manifest at +1 caster level.

Hospice of the Blessed Maiden
Temple of Urgathoa

Map of Korvosa
Map of Varisia

Treasure Sheet


1 to 50 of 2,817 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Chapter One: Edge of Anarchy

Korvosa, the Jewel of Varisia, has long sparkled on Varisia’s southern shore. Established 300 years ago by Cheliax at the height of that empire’s expansion, the city now commands its own destiny. A line of Korvosan kings and queens emerged to rule the city, establishing an infamous seat power—the Crimson Throne. Rulers have sat upon the Crimson Throne for more than a century, and the city has flourished. Yet the monarchy always seems on the brink of disaster. The Crimson Throne is not a prize to be won—it is a curse. No monarch of Korvosa has died of old age, and none have produced an heir while ruling. Even though King Eodred II controls Korvosa more fully than any previous monarch, that control remains tenuous, and many secretly count the days until their latest king falls to what they call the Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Part One: Haunted Fortunes

You've all been wronged by the local crime lord and villian Gaedren Lamm. He is a deplorable crook well past his prime, yet possessed of a tenacious ability to stay one step ahead of the Korvosan Guard while maintaining complete control of his band of young pickpockets recruited from the city’s street urchins and orphans. You've all been seeking a chance to bring him to justice. And finally that chance has arrived.

24:00 - 1 Neth 4708 AR
It is a cold and rainy autumn night.

Sebastian Merrin:

It’s late on another cold rainy night. Sebastian's hands grip the windowsill in his room above the smithy tightly until his knuckles turn white. He can’t sleep. The memories of his recently departed friend wrack him with anger and pain. As he stares into the endless gloom, a brilliant flash of lightning cleaves the darkness blinding him for the briefest of seconds. When his vision returns, a harrow card is plastered to the outside of the glass, the image of the Juggler facing inward towards him. Intrigued, he reaches under the window to retrieve the card. To further add to the mystery, a message is written on the back in bold ink.

I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Sebastion knew this day would come.

Nadya Dimineata:

Nadya struggles with another night of nightmares. Images of a young woman addicted to shiver dying alone in an alley continue to haunt her dreams. She wakes in a cold sweat. The rain outside does nothing to improve her mood. Physically and emotionally drained, she turns to her harrow deck for solace. Beginning, like she normally would, she shuffles the deck and draws the first card, the Joke; the next card, the Joke; all the cards, the Joke. Panicked and fearing that she is still dreaming, she drops the deck. Only then does she notice on the back of the cards is a message.

I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

After reading the note, her cards return to normal, leaving Nadya wondering if any of it was real at all.

Ayako:

Ayako kneels before her mother’s grave in the Gray like she’s done countless times since her death. A heavy cloak shields her from the rain. She enjoys the unholy communion she receives when she’s alone out here, for she knows she is not alone. In the silence, she hears whispers, whether they are her mother’s or someone else’s, she’s not sure, but the sweet voice comforts her in any case. When Ayako’s prayers are complete, she stands to leave, but notices a harrow card laid face up before the grave, the image of the Theater staring back at her. How could she have missed that?, she wonders. Curious, she picks up the card and examines it. The front is unmarred, despite the weather, and the back seems to bear a message directed towards her, the black ink similarly remains unsmudged.

I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Ayako silently thanks whoever is watching over her and heads out.

Col Avertin:

Col sits alone at a table at the Bailer’s Retreat, a rough tavern that frequently serves recently released prisoners of Citadel Volshyenek’s jails. Despite the infrequent brawls between these unsavory patrons and the Korvosan Guards, it is known to be an excellent place to overhear rumors of illicit activities. Rain has kept the tavern full late into the evening. He eavesdrops on a few conversations and is surprised to hear Gaedren’s name come up more than once. When he’s ready to leave, he signals to a serving wench to bring him his tab. He’s confused when she hands him a harrow card instead, this one, the Cricket. After a moment of staring confused at the card, he lifts a finger to question the maid, but she is nowhere to be seen. Shrugging, he turns back to the mystery before him and finds a message written to him when he flips the card.

I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

He flips the card again and he is holding the bar tab he was originally expecting. Col wonders to himself if he had one too many drinks that night, but whatever he experienced, he has a lead.


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

dot


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

A few hours before sundown Col approaches #3 Lancet Street and walks by the building while noting the amount and type of traffic in the neighborhood. I don’t want be caught unawares,he thinks as he meanders his way down the block. This entire thing is strange; I thought I had been pretty discreetabout my inquiries into Lamm. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary or anyone paying attention more attention to me then usual. Regardless, first I need to make sure Lamm isn’t trying to draw me into an ambush. As he continues his stroll so does his internal dialogue, Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary and I don't recall Lamm ever operating in this area. As Col reaches the end of the street he turns left and considers what to do.


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako silently returned to the temple of Pharesma where she had a cot in the sleeping area. She worked there as a healer, mending wounds, delivering children and helping prepare the dead and thus was able to have a space even though she was not part of the order itself.

Slipping inside, she gathered her equipment together, leather armor was donned and her sickle strapped to her waist along with her sling. She had no idea what she might encounter at the residence but wanted to be ready. Once equipped, Ayako slipped back outside, the silent figure with the odd gait traveling the darkening streets to her destination.


M Human Swashbuckler 5 | Init +7 | Percp +3 | HP 41/49 | AC 21 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Wil +0 |

Sebastian leans out his window, peering around at the nearby buildings and streets to see if somebody was there. The card had to have come from somewhere, hadn't it? "Hey!" he calls into the night, but he doesn't see anyone. Sighing, he looks up across the city. Past all the buildings he could see the docks and the Jeggare River beyond. Somewhere in that mess was 3 Lancet Street, and the answers he desperately needed. Another bolt of lightning flashes across the sky, and Sebastian imagines that maybe somewhere out there, Fate is looking back at him.

He hangs there in the window for a moment, the cold rain pelting down on his head. Maybe he should pull his head back in, but he was feeling melancholy and wanted to wallow in it. Eventually he makes a decision. Grabbing his baldric from where it lay slung over the back of a chair, he hoists himself out of the window and lowers himself down to the ground. He could have simply taken the front door, but this was no time for such things; there was brooding to be done.

The next day, after finishing the day's work in the smithy, Sebastian dons his favorite jacket of leather armor (the black one with gleaming bronze studs that matches so well with his buckler), belts on his sword, kisses his mother goodbye, and departs for the mysterious meeting at 3 Lancet Street.


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

Nadya waits till the last minute hoping the rain might abate. Still not sure if the vision she had was even real, she finally shrugs on a once colorful, now faded cloak, pulls up her hood and ducks out into the rain. Let's get this over with. Still not familiar with Korvosa, she takes a circuitous route through East Shore finally getting her bearings by the Shoreline Drinkhall before crossing the bridge to Midland. Thoroughly soaked, she finally finds Lancet Street and makes her way to number 3, wiping the rain from her face to make sure she has the right address. I should probably be more cautious... she thinks for a moment before the wind shifts again, covering her face with more rain. Putting aside caution for the hope of a dry respite, she walks up to the door and knocks harder than she intended.


19:00 - 2 Neth 4708 AR
Weather: Rain (In addition to automatically extinguishing any unprotected flames, rain has a 50% chance of extinguishing protected flames. Rain reduces visibility ranges by half. Ranged weapon attacks and Perception checks are at a –4 penalty.)

The rain tapered off during the day leading to a rather pleasant afternoon although you hardly noticed with your minds focused on the mystery before you. About an hour before sundown, the rain resumes, soaking you all as you make your approach to 3 Lancet Street.

Col arrives first, showing up a few hours early to case the street out. He sees various dockworkers and ruffians pass by but none pay him any mind. Once the rain starts up again, foot traffic practically ceases entirely as most seek shelter indoors.

3 Lancet Street is a simple single story structure. It has a single front window and door. The window is blocked by a thick tapestry preventing anyone from seeing inside. The door is painted a deep violet with a pair of spread butterfly wings extending from the center to the edges. Various tassels and bells dangle above the door frame.

Knowledge (Local) DC 5:
The address appears to be a fortune teller’s home.

Knowledge (Religion) DC 5:
Butterfly wings often represent faith in Desna, talent in fortunetelling, and freedom.

Nadya arrives next. She approaches the door and knocks hard. There is no response. The door appears sturdily built but is probably unlocked.

Col sees the tall, thin woman walk up to the front door and knock. While Col’s wide-brimmed hat somewhat shelters him from the rain, Nadya is thoroughly soaked, her raven black hair is matted against her face and shoulders.

Sebastian and Ayako are not far behind. Sebastian heading from the north and Ayako heading from the south.


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako tugs her hooded cloak about her head as the rain drizzles down, she sees the home and the woman knocking on the door and pauses, not sure who this person is and wanting to see if she is one of the others the card had talked about.

Know Local: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Know Religon: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Ayako suddenly has no idea where she is, did the streets just bend and deposit her in an upside down version of the city? She seemed to see a dimly lit version of the city beneth her feet while a ebon version version above her head.

Then she was back.


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

As the sky darkens and the rains begin Col maintains his vigil and considers the things he has observed. A fortuneteller and a worshiper of Desna or at least that's what they want me to believe. It takes more than a cleverly placed sign to make something true. However, the more I think about it, I don't believe Lamm is involved in these chain of events as it is too subtle for him. More than likely this is some ruse to get some coin from me, as most fortunetellers are charlatans.

As Col continues along this line of thought he observes a tall slim woman approach 3 Lancet street and knock rather loudly on the door. Father down the street, approaching from the south, a rain obscured figure with a limp makes their way down the lane. A third figure passes Col coming from the north, this one is wearing a rapier. Interesting, these must be the others the message spoke about.

As the three gather at the door the down poor increases and Col softly mtutters, Bugger it and starts walking toward the doorway, I need to get out of this rain and there is only one way to find out what is going on here.


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

Nadya takes note of the adornment of the door, A Varisian fortuneteller then. That explains her method of reaching me. I wonder if she spent her youth on the road or has lived her life in this city. Now where is she? Preoccupied with the rain and trying to get the woman's attention, Nadya fails to take note of the others gathering. She knocks again louder and calls out "Hello?!? You asked me to come. Its pouring out here. Please let me in."
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Knowledge (religion-DC 10 max): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


19:05 - 2 Neth 4708 AR
Weather: Rain (In addition to automatically extinguishing any unprotected flames, rain has a 50% chance of extinguishing protected flames. Rain reduces visibility ranges by half. Ranged weapon attacks and Perception checks are at a –4 penalty.)
Lighting: Dim Light (Creatures within this area have concealment (20% miss chance) from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness.)

Nadya knocks harder on the front door and this time it slowly swings open seemingly on its own accord with a loud drawn out creak. There is still no response to Nadya’s calls. Those by the door can now see inside.

The cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The haze comes from several sticks of incense smouldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

There is no sign of anyone being present inside but the warm room beckons to those standing out in the cold rain.


M Human Swashbuckler 5 | Init +7 | Percp +3 | HP 41/49 | AC 21 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Wil +0 |

"There's no use just standing out here," says Sebastian. As he steps into the house, he notices the decor and considers retreating back into the rain. Instead, he waits for the others to file into the house before taking a seat. "Lovely tapestries," he says sardonically. "I particularly like the heart-juggling monster there." He chuckles to himself to cover up his nervousness.


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako's keen eyes easily pierce the gloom and she notices the gathering of other people around the door. When the other woman pushes it open, Ayako follows into the warm, smokey room.
Taking in the surroundings, Ayako is fascinated by the decor and takes a seat at the table.The insence has a nice fragrance.


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

Impatient from his wait in the rain Col barges into the room and begins to shake the rain from his hat and cloak leaving a small puddle on the floor bleeding into the rugs. He observes those around him and quickly assess each one Looks like we got a peacock with a sword, a beautiful gimp, and a lass without enough sense to stay dry in the rain, he surmises then adds And I am perhaps the biggest fool for coming.

Col nods his head to the ladies and walks over to the lad with the sword while he extends his hand to shake, saying so all can hear, "I'm Col, were all of you summoned here as well?"


19:06 - 2 Neth 4708 AR
Weather: Rain
Lighting: Dim Light

As Ayako sits down at the table, she is the first to notice a simple note weighed down by a stone paperweight.

It reads: "Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please, have a seat while you wait. The basket under the table contains bread and drink for you."


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako nods to Col. Yes, a rather strange way of getting an invitation. She shows her card and then tucks it back into her cloak. Looking at the table, she shows the others the note. I suspect that this is so we will 'cool our heels' for a while before we meet our host. Ayako pulls the basket out and pulls back the cloth.


Inside the basket is an assortment of bread and wine. The bread looks a little stale and the wine, while not fine, looks decent enough.


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

Nadya starts as the door swings back. Why...why didn't it do that the first time? She takes a step back and brushes against Sebastian and almost jumps out of her skin. Looking around, she sees Ayako and Col. Others like you will be there. But how like me are they?

Seeing Col and Ayako enter she opens her mouth to protest, "Wait, don't you think we should wait for..." Her voice trails off as she sees it is no use. It does look much warmer inside. Dripping water from the rain, she enters and pushes her hood back. You see an ethereal-looking tall woman with pale skin and deep black hair. See looks unreal. Almost ghost-like.

She looks over her shoulder as Sebastian enters, making his joke. Then turns back as Col asks his question. "Yes. I am Nadya. Our host is a fortuneteller. She reached me through my harrow. I wasn't sure if it was real." She reaches up and wraps pale hands around her hair, squeezing to wring out some of the water. "She said something of Lamm. Do you know who he is?"


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako looks at the bread and arches an eyebrow, A bit odd serving day old bread, but I guess it will do. She turns as Nadya speaks.Lamm is an old man who has been reduced to preying on the young to line his pockets. A threat but hopefully one that will be disposed of soon.


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

After shaking Sebastian's hand Col considers, Hmmm, calloused hand, firm grip maybe he knows how to use that sword after all. and walks over to the basket of bread. With a scowl to Nadya he comments, ”So you believe there is something to this Harrow Card business? More than likely it is a ruse to separate us from our coin.”

While he tears a chunk off the loaf he continues, ”As for Lamm I agree that he is a despicable human being that the authorities seem unwilling or incapable of dealing with. The slight chance that I may garner some information as to his whereabouts has brought me here.”

Stuffing a piece of bread in his mouth he concludes ”Mi dobt munderstmp,” he swallows and wipes his mouth with his sleeve, “I don’t understand all these theatrics though.”


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

Nadya lets her hair go and it falls back over her shoulders returning Col's scowl, "Been taken by Sczarni or just quick to jump to the conclusion that all people of the road are crooks? Our host has real power. No one without it could have reached my deck the way she did." Unless it was another vision. Switching back to the topic of Lamm, she asks "Old man? Does he have a son?"


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

"I don't know anything about a son but he does have a bunch of street urchins doing some of his dirty work." He sits and pours himself some of the wine and continues, "Some may call them his children. Why do you ask?"


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

As far as I know, he is an old man and the young he finds are slaves.


M Human Swashbuckler 5 | Init +7 | Percp +3 | HP 41/49 | AC 21 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Wil +0 |

Sebastian starts a bit when he sees Nadya, nearly tripping over a chair. "I'm sorry," he says fumbling for an apology. "I simply wasn't expecting you to be so... beautiful!" Disengaging from his nasty faux pas, he accepts Col's hand and gives it a firm shake. "Sebastian. Well-met."

Once seated, he eagerly takes a hunk of the stale bread, not seeming to mind it a bit. He chews while the others discuss unpleasant people and washes it all down with some wine. He brightens when Nadya mentions her cards. "You've got a Harrow deck on you, then? How's about a game of Towers while we wait?"


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako sips at some wine. I would not mind a game, perhaps a little fortune-telling of our own.


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

" Our future is what we make it, but a game might be nice." Coll adds.


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

She doesn't blush, but everything about her expression suggests a touch of embarrassment. "Sebastian, I am Nadya. Thank you for the compliment. I ask about Lamm's age because there is a young man named Lamm who haunts my dreams. A wicked man. I thought they were the same." She seems thoughtful for a moment. Distant. As if searching her memory. She smiles. "Towers? No, I would rather not play Towers with my deck. But a reading, I would do. Not a believer Col?" Making sure she is mostly dry or at least not dripping anymore, she moves from the vestibule to the table and has a seat next to Ayako.


Once the party is all seated—conveniently, there are exactly enough chairs for each of you—the front door eases open again. An attractive middle-aged Varisian woman with long dark hair enters with a smile. She wears a provocative outfit with many dangling beads and bells that jingle as she moves. Gaudy jewelry adorns her fingers, neck, and ears and a violet scarf is tied around her head. A cold chill fills the air as she glides over to the table and sits down at the head.

She speaks in a soft but clear voice, ”Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you.”

The woman produces a Harrow deck from a pocket and idly shuffles the cards. As you watch, her skill with the deck is obvious as the cards seem to float and dance over her hands and the table.

”My name is Zellara. I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a terrible man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This is a man you know, for he has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my Harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When pickpockets stole it, my son, Eran, tracked them down. The thieves were in the employ of Gaedren Lamm, and in reward for finding them, Gaedren murdered my son.”

Zellara grips the edge of the table tightly with that last statement. Her voice turns icy, her eyes dart apart crazed, and she resumes shuffling with maddening speed.

“I sought help from the Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my Harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here at Westpier 17, where he trains his abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures.”

Calming down, she stops shuffling and smiles at each of you in turn. Her voice becomes deadly serious.

“And now, I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if I were to go to them, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. Even if they did arrest him—what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.”

She slams the palms against the table shaking the room with a jolt. As if on cue, lightning flashes outside illuminating her face with light and shadows creating a haunting visage.


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

Nadya watches Zellara and shakes her head sadly as the woman relays her tragic tale. She murmurs, "Murdered your son. A monster then." For a moment, Nadya's vision clouds and the familiar sight of the dying woman, alone and shivering in the slush-covered alley appears. She feels a chill and can her a mad laugh somewhere off in the distance before she shakes it off to hear the woman tell of how she found Lamm's location and the trouble with the Guard. Her voice quivers a little as she speaks. "I'm not sure what Lamm has done to me, but I've been having visions. Dark and terrible visions. And I think he is the cause. I can't shake them, but maybe if he can be stopped, I can get them back under control or end them altogether. I am not strong, but I do have other talents. I think I can help, but not alone."


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako listens to Zellara tell her story silently. [i]Yet another life ruined by Lamm, he is like a spider this one.[/b] her finger lightly plays with one lock of hair. So many have suffered yes, and an opportunity to hasten him to justice when the law cannot is appealing.

The image of a broken woman lost somewhere in the city's alleys comes to her and faint whispers fill her ear.


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

It is a familiar tale, death, destruction and misery follow in Lamm's wake, while the guard does nothing about it. Col nods his ascent. "I'm in, Lamm needs to be brought down." It sounds good, but this warehouse seems like a good place to spring a trap, best be on my guard.

Col is making a sense motive check
sense motive: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
and he will use his inspiration 3 of 4 left
inspiration: 1d6 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19
new sens motive roll is 19


Bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Col gets a feeling of suspicion from Zellara but can't quite pin down what. For the most part, he trusts her story to be true.


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako looks at the cards, barely concealed puzzlement on her face.Just what are these supposed to mean?


19:30 - 2 Neth 4708 AR
Weather: Rain
Lighting: Dim Light

"You must act quickly. If not tonight, soon. If Gaedren Lamm catches on to our intentions, he'll pack up shop and be lost to us again. He has a knack for finding abandoned buildings where the owner has died with no heirs."

Knowledge Local DC 15:

Under Korvosan law, a building abandoned in this manner immediately reverts to the city and is held in escrow for 2 years, during which time any rightful owner who can prove a claim can regain control of the building. After the 2 years, the city claims the building, yet even then, the government is slow to handle its eventual fate. By choosing the right building in the right location, one can effectively live for free for years at a time.

"But before you go, perhaps a Harrow reading to guide you on your way. Free of charge of course."

She draws nine cards out of her deck and holds them out to you face down, indicating that each of you should draw one.


F Samsaran Witch (Cartomancer) Init +3, Per +0 HP 22/22, AC 12/12/10 (mage armor 16/12/14), Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4

Nadya agrees "I am ready. But, I would definitely hear the guidance a reading might offer in this matter Zellara. Were you not here, I would conduct my own, but given your connection, and that of your deck, to our gathering I put my trust in you." Nadya draws a card and turns it over. "The Juggler." She returns it to Zellara. Appropriate. Given the signs, I can only hope it is Desna's influence behind my involvement rather than some crueler fate.
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako's fingers reach out and pluck a card from the table and flips it over.The dancer. Hmm..Not something I am often to do.


Nadya draws a card first.

"The Juggler. I know of your Samsaran heritage. Your race experiences many lives through reincarnation. Juggling all these fates can be difficult. I sense you are still struggling with memories of the past. Balancing the past and present will be key to achieving your goals."

Ayako draws next.

"The Dance. Fitting for a former courtesan. I can see it in the way you move, even with your limp. Although, that was never your choice, was it? To follow the dance, you must know your place. I sense you walk a line between light and darkness. A difficult step to maintain."

Seven cards remain in Zellara's outstretched hand.


M Human Investigator(Empiricist)/2, Init.+4, Percp.+9 (+10 vs. traps) HP 9/24, AC 17 Fort+2, Ref+7, Will+3

Col watches with skepticism, then on a whim draws a card, and turns it over onto the table. Let me see how she spins this, probably something vague that can be taken seven different ways. "The Peacock," he laughs.


"The Peacock." Zellara raises an eyebrow. "Hmm. I bet you’re thinking this card more suited for that one." She nods in Sebastian’s direction. "However, the peacock can indicate more than just beauty. Its appearance signifies a shift in personal attitude. Perhaps, your new allies will have an effect on that dour mood of yours."


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako feels a wariness, just how did this woman know so much about them? She supposed that the cards had actual power but this was quite a bit of information.


M Human Swashbuckler 5 | Init +7 | Percp +3 | HP 41/49 | AC 21 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Wil +0 |

Sebastian laughs silently to himself at Col's reading. He reaches out and draws one for himself and lays it on the table facing up. "The Rabbit Prince, eh?" He looks to Zellara, smiling expectantly.


"The Rabbit Prince personifies battle, often with ties to royalty." She pauses. "But the broken sword symbolizes anyone can fall in battle...no matter how brave or skilled. Remember that just because you’ve been trained by the best does not mean you are infallible."


M Human Swashbuckler 5 | Init +7 | Percp +3 | HP 41/49 | AC 21 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Wil +0 |

The smile slowly falls from Sebastian's face and his eyes drift back down to the card on the table. He eyes it carefully, particularly the broken sword. It's just a bunch of spooky nonsense anyway.


Zellara collects the cards and shuffles the back into the deck. She then proceeds to provide Nadya's Harrow reading. She lays down the first three cards, which represent the past. The Twin, the Juggler, the Inquisitor.

"The Juggler makes its appearance again. I sense that one of your past lives faltered and failed. Her fate weighs heavily on you even now. You must learn from your past lest it repeat in the future."

The next three cards represent the present. The Wanderer, the Winged Serpent, the Avalanche.

"The Wanderer finds treasure in what others call trash. Many might think Harrowers to be charlatans." She eyes Col. "But you’ve embraced the skill. It will serve you well." She smiles.

The final three cards represent the future. The Mute Hag, the Cricket, the Uprising.

"The Uprising. A force much more powerful than you is gaining strength. The card is only a partial match. The future is unclear. Will you be crushed by it or will you rise to the challenge?"

Nadya gains 4 Harrow points.


Zellara sweeps up the cards and begins again in front of Ayako. The Owl, the Snakebite, the Bear.

"The Snakebite. Vile poison. It can take many forms: poison, alcohol...drugs. Someone close to you succumbed to shiver, didn't they? Gaedrem's doing, no doubt. I see it in your eyes that I'm right. The loss for you was profound. But the card is misaligned. Through your loss you found purpose. Ultimately it has made you stronger."

Next, the Liar, the Sickness, the Beating.

"The Beating. Gaedren Lamm’s cruelty has left a permanent mark on you. Your leg, shattered and never fully healed. Even if you succeed in bringing Gaedren to justice, will escaping this constant reminder of his brutality be an insurmountable task?"

The Winged Serpent, the Mute Hag, the Forge.

"The Winged Serpent provided understanding. It too is a partial match, indicating your future is also uncertain. A momentous event is about to occur, one in which you will play an essential part. Getting involved too soon could prove disastrous. You will need to find the proper time to strike."

Ayako gains 1 Harrow point.


The third reading is for Col. The Dance, the Inquisitor, the Winged Serpent.

"The Dance. Unlike Ayako, you are more secure in your role. You’ve been playing the investigator for years now, haven't you? It is what has led you Korvosa and to us. The card is a true match. Your skills will continue to serve you well."

The Betrayal, the Twin, the Teamster.

"The Twin. A duality of purpose. Is your only goal to deal with Gaedren? What will you do once he is gone?

Finally, the Marriage, the Empty Throne, the Cricket.

"The Cricket. The card that represents your true nature. I manifested this card to summon you to me. Misaligned, it indicates your journey may end in a way you did not expect."

Col gains 3 Harrow points.


Zellara's fourth and final reading is for Sebastian. For the past, the Rakshasa, the Unicorn, the Fiend.

"The Fiend is undoubtedly another representation of Gaedren Lamm. The loss he caused you is hard to bear. Though through your efforts he will assuredly be brought to justice shortly."

For the present, the Paladin, the Marriage, the Inquisitor.

"The Paladin. Like the vigilante Blackjack you’ve help right some wrongs for the people of Korvosa. But it’s only a partial match. Will you stay true to this course?"

And the final cards representing the future, the Waxworks, the Bear, the Courtesan.

"The Waxworks represents helplessness but since it is in the opposite position it indicates an abundance of energy at a crucial moment. I have a feeling, you’ll know the moment when it comes." She gives Sebastian a subtly wink.

Sebastian gains 1 Harrow point.


F Human Oracle 6,HP 41/41,Init+4,F5R4W10,Per+8,AC19T10FF19

Ayako's eyes flick down to the cards and she nods slightly when the fortune-teller spoke of things from her pst. A true talent she is, as for escaping..I do not know. Perhaps.


M Human Swashbuckler 5 | Init +7 | Percp +3 | HP 41/49 | AC 21 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Wil +0 |

Sebastian smiles at hearing himself favorably compared with the legendary Blackjack, but he bristles at the lingering insinuation, remembering the broken sword on the Rabbit Prince card. However, the reading ends on a positive note, setting his mind at ease. "That was fun," he says, pushing himself out of his chair. "Now maybe we should be getting on to the business at hand?" He rests a hand on the pommel of his rapier, ready for action. He tries to keep focused on the faces at the table and not on the unsettling tapestries hanging from the wall.


Zellara nods and motions with one hand towards the door. "You are always welcome here my friends. Good luck."

1 to 50 of 2,817 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Peachbottom's Curse of the Crimson Throne Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.