Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Odea's Short Adventure Playtest PBP (Inactive)

Game Master Odea


51 to 100 of 209 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
"Oh, hey there. C'mere boy! Aren't you a pretty one!" 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (10) + 21 = 31 Wild Empathy on Sin

Sin turns his head and wags his tail a bit and looks over at what is clearly a Nymph. From their hiding spots Ravagwen and Dalligar see standing next to the nymph a small, fuzzy and white... Dog? Standing on two legs?

"It's okay boy! Come on over!" she entreats.
"Ooh, can I ride it? Can I?" begs the small dog, hopping up and down.
"First we'll see if it's friendly, and then only for a minute. It's still a wild animal, you know, we can't keep it. The best we can do for it is to warn it away from those nasty creatures in the cave."
"Awww, okay. But at least for a bit, if it's nice?" the small dog bounces up and down a bit.
"If it's nice." she says smiling at the dog.
Ravagwen--giving you a chance to respond here if you want to before Sin acts as an animal; he's your companion if you want him to do other than what he pleases.

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

Ravagwen is not gonna be posting as often as she'd like. Go ahead and have Sin act like an animal. Seems like the most reasonable thing to do.


Okay. I was going to wait until tomorrow morning, but now is fine too.
As Sin approaches the nymph, she offers her hand for the wolf to sniff. The small white dog stands behind her hopping up and down a little bit. She pets the wolf, which growls contentedly in response. "What a big strong boy you are!" she says. "Would you let my little pet ride you for just a bit?" 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (4) + 21 = 25 Wild empathy
The wolf lets out a single, short bark and wags its tail.
The white dog hops up and down, "Can I ride it now? Can I?" he asks.
"Yes, but let it smell you first."
The white dog moves out from behind the nymph and holds out what looks to Dalligar and Ravagwen like a furry hand toward Sin.
Sin sniffs the furry hand and tilts his head to the side a bit, as though he were confused, then looks at the nymph.
"He would like to ride you." she says. 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16 Handle animal
She picks up the dog and sets him atop the wolf. Sin start moving at a walk, then does a slow jog around and between a few nearby trees and returns to the nymph.
As the nymph lifts it from the wolf's back, the little white dog shakes its arms and excitedly giggles "I got to ride it! I got to ride it!"
The nymph smiles a bit and says "Yes, you got to ride it. Now we're going to tell it to go away so those nasties from the cave won't get it like they did you."
You can all hear this now, though only Ravagwen and Dalligar have moved to where they can see the two.


Iquisitor Whelk raises an eyebrow at Ezren, as if to say "what now?"

Attempting an untrained Bluff to deliver a "hidden message" to Ezren. That message is, "shall we just reveal ourselves?"

Halycon's Bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


Ezren retrieved a Potion of CLW from his pocket and whispered a casting of Mage Hand while the nymph and dog-fey were being noisy.

When Whelk looks to him, Ezren shrugs and sets the potion in the air at shoulder height, about a foot to his side.

He says softly to Whelk (but perhaps loud enough the strangers can hear), "Inquisitor Keliks, I would pay another potion to see a fey ride a Half-Orc around the trees."

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

Dalligar stays hidden in the same bush as Ravagwen, watching the scene unfold. He pulls out one of his daggers, just to be safe.


1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32 Perception

Perception DC 15:
"Get behind me; I just heard something over there. It might be those nasties from the cave."
the nymph whispers to the dog. She looks quickly at the wolf and says "You run away now, there's something here that might try to hurt you." 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25 Handle animal
The little white dog moves behind the nymph, clutching at her leg and says, his voice quavering, "Them again?! NO! They hurt me! They threw things at me! Keep them away! I don't like them!"
Sin, understanding that the nymph wants him to go away, begins to walk back toward his master. The nymph has a slightly shocked look and calls to him "No! Don't go!"

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

Dalligar puts his dagger away quickly, hoping it wasn't seen. Taking a risk, he holds his hands up and steps out of the bush he was hiding in, lowering his hood.

"Be still. I am not your enemy. I'm a friend." Diplomacy (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Halycon waits impatiently, tapping his booted foot against the ground, hefting his mace restlessly.


"You're rather tall... and not half so ugly as what I've seen, but how do I know you're not one of them?" says the nymph.
From behind her comes an "Eep!" and then a whispered

Perception DC 15:
"It's his stuff..."

The nymph still looks wary, but is visibly calmer. "It appears my puppy has slighted you; for that you have my apologies. I'll put your things down here and you can come retrieve them when we have backed away." She steps forward a few feet and sets down a small handful of things, then she and the puppy move back away from the items. "Don't startle that wolf either and it probably won't attack you, it's just heading away now."

Sczarni

Female Elf Druid/4

Ravagwen stands from the bushes after cursing softly in elven, a little annoyed. From the way she walks through the bush into the clearing simply shows that she's a Druid. If that makes a difference.

"Why would he attack? He's my companion. I raised him from a pup and he's never hurt one of my allies before."

As Sin approaches his master, he rubs up against her outstretched hand, showing he is indeed her companion.

Knowledge Nature on the puppy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23


It doesn't appear to be natural. You can give me Knowledge: Arcana if you have it.


Ezren would not risk speaking when he knows some of his allies are more diplomatic. But he is able to see the dog-creature, correct? So he would perhaps recognize it, even if the time is not yet right to share this information with his allies.

Knowledge Arcana roll 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31


Yes
Ezren ponders, searching the dregs of his memory, and recalls that there are legends of dolls with a tiny bit of a soul bound into them. These Soulbound Dolls are a new entity, entirely separate from the creature that provided the piece of soul. They aren't generally evil or good; it depends largely on who made them and how they were "raised."
With a 31 you can ask 3 questions about the creature if you care to try and recall any abilities/defenses/other things.


GM Odea wrote:
With a 31 you can ask 3 questions about the creature if you care to try and recall any abilities/defenses/other things.

In case we have to fight it, (1) what are its resistances and (2) which is its low saving throw(s)? As a third question, (3) how might it be influenced in a parallel way to how the nymph influenced our Druid's animal companion?


It has no elemental resistances, Fort and Will are its weak saves, and it is subject to mind affecting spells (though if you mean by skill rolls, you might try diplomacy, bluff or intimidate).


Thanks. The latter. Those questions are my "generic three" for creature identification. How do we best hit it? How do we best magic it? And how do we best negotiate with it or control it? (Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Handle Animal, Control Undead, etc.)


The nymph looks at the newcomer to the clearing who is petting the wolf. "Ah, well then I'd suggest you and your allies be wary; some nasty fey have taken up residense in a nearby cave. They injured my puppy, but I haven't seen or heard them for several days." says the nymph. "I would hate for anything bad to happen to that beautiful beast you have.
The puppy chimes in "They're meanies!"


Ezren puts away his potion, waiting for the others to finish this conversation.


In hopes of spurring this onward...
The nymph asks as she continues backing away from the small handful of things on the ground, "Are there others with you? I try to be mindful of what's going on in this part of the forest, but I can't be everywhere. If there are, let them know to be wary." With that, she and the white dog move out of the clearing and out of view. You hear a muffled "Bye wolf!" in a high pitch, and then nothing.

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

"Wait! What things in the--!" He cuts off as they leave, letting out a sigh. "Well, at least I got my stuff back."

Picking them up, he puts everything back where it goes. "I was hoping they'd seen our quarry. Still, a cave full of 'nasties' might be worth checking out. What say you three?"


"I would hope Jerome was either tough or wily enough to avoid becoming Fey food, but it is a possibility we must investigate."


Could be what got our mark. We got a general direction. So; we got a tracker?

Sczarni

Female Elf Druid/4

Ravagwen lets out a little whistle to get everyone's attention. "Leave it to me and Sin."

She and Sin quickly get to it, Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17 hopefully getting a lead.

As she leads the group towards the cave, she keeps her eyes and ears open for danger, and her steps light.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Sin's Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Using Trackless Step to keep from leaving a trail.


Ravagwen catches a trail after a few minutes of searching and quietly leads the others through the forest. Some forty minutes of careful tracking later, she reveals to the party the small, dark opening to a tunnel in a crevice between the roots of a large tree. In the forest light you can see that the tunnel goes down rapidly, then makes a sharp turn.
Tunnel entrance is 5 feet wide and goes in 15 feet until it turns sharply.

map link:
Map of what you see inside (Outside would be C0)

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

"Looks like we found our cave. Haven't seen any 'nasties' though."

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

"Who wants to go first? I'd offer, but I can't see without light."


"I could make your cloak shine, Dalligar, but doubt that fits your style."


Mm. Guess that's me, then.

Halycon steps into the root-framed cave, and around the corner.


Going to take a bit of liberty to speed this forward.
With the inquisitor leading the way, the druid and her wolf close on his heels, the four of you make your way through several twists and turns as the cave descends. It levels off after a bit and you reach yet another corner. Peering around the corner, Halycon sees the cave open up into a cavern.
Halycon please make a perception check, as for the others, who has/does not have light sources?

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

Keeping as quiet as he can, Dalligar keeps an ear open for anything that might be a threat.

I do not have light. I'd prefer to be sneaky.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

I am the unseen force that see all!!

Sczarni

Female Elf Druid/4

Ravagwen's Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
Sin's Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Ravagwen also stays cautious of what's going on as she and Sin make their way into the cave.


Scouting really isn't my thing, but here goes.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Halycon makes no real attempt at Stealth.


Ezren walks in the rear and casts his Light cantrip on the scroll case tucked into his belt. He keeps his cloak nearly closed, so just barely enough light escapes for him to make out Dalligar's back.

If the footing is tricky he'll need to let more light shine from within the cloak than otherwise.


I'm going to call it dim light within 20 feet of Ezren (corners excepted) given the description.

mechanics:

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25H
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24G
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36F
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26E
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28D
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16C
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23B
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19A

Halycon you see an open cavern with some stalactites and stalagmites, and some strange species of large mushrooms.
Map link for Halycon:

map link (taking into account viewing angles and such)


Alright, so: if anyone wants to give Stealth or Diplomacy a shot, do it now before I (having none of those talents) just walk in there with a big, orcish "anyone home?"

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

Already rolled a stealth and perception, as did Ravagwen.


I only see Dalligar trying to be stealthy. And he is fourth in line, so not scouting ahead but (I think) instead ready to move and flank. So it seems that big, orcish welcome is imminent. :-)


Halycon strides straight into the cavern. Grinning with the predatory mischievousness that only an orcish smile can convey, the inquisitor bellows in a jovial growl:

Hello, in here! Anyone home?


Sorry for the delay. Rolling init for everyone, will post the order and a couple questions/actions to deal with and then await people's choices. Ravagwen and Dalligar, you both heard the sound of some rocks bouncing a LONG way away from where you are.

mechanics for Initiative:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2A
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2B
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7C
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10D
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20E
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16F
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9G
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9H
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17Halycon
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3Ezren
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18Dalligar
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22Ravagwen

For Halycon:
link here; you're in square F10 and you see 2 small, ugly blue things to your left. Please give me 2 will saves (surprise round as you enter the room).

Everyone else:
Everyone else: how close were you following Halycon? (For frame of reference: on the prior map, Halycon was in square E8). As he rounds the corner into F9 the dark seems to envelop him and you cannot see him any longer, even though you can hear his footsteps and his yell of "Hello, in here! Anyone home?"

Round 1 order:
22 Ravagwen
20 E
18 Dalligar
17 Halycon
16 F
10 D
9 G
9 H
7 C
3 Ezren
2 A
2 B


Will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Both saves are +2 higher if this is a charm or compulsion effect.


Made both, congrats. Now awaiting responses from other players.

Andoran

Male Half-Elf Rogue/4

Dalligar hesitantly steps forward, still staying as stealthy as he can.

Sczarni

Female Elf Druid/4

Ravagwen does the same, keeping her distance and looking out for trouble. Sin stays back as well.


Waiting for F through C, whatever those are, in the initiative order.


Dalligar perception:
You hear creatures moving all around ahead of you in the darkness. Your best guess is there's over 10 creatures around the room in all directions, none within 20 feet of you, but nothing further than 50 feet away.

Ravagwen perception:
You hear some whispers from a ways off ahead and to the left (around A10 or so on the map) and gravel scuttling form far ahead (around D17).

Halycon:
You're quite surprised as several more of these ugly little things come out of hiding and start to throw darts at you, while two large bug-like creatures swoop at you from behind stalactites. They abandoned stealth to swoop at you, so you get an attack of opportunity (more if you have combat reflexes). Make your attack roll; it will be against the first attack from F below (so that if it kills the creature hits/misses can be determined).

Mechanics--everyone please view:

F: Halycon: attacks vs. touch AC: 1st: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 1d100 ⇒ 2 2nd: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 1d100 ⇒ 11
D: Dalligar, please make 2 will saves vs. a mind-affecting fear affect (with any appropriate bonuses).
C: Halycon: attacks vs. flat-footed AC (you didn't see them) 1st: 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 3 - 4 = 18 1d3 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 - 1 = 1 2nd: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 2 - 4 = 9 1d3 + 0 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 0 - 1 = 2
End result: The first bug misses Halycon (who can take a swing at it below), but the second one pierces him with its probiscus, and begins to drink his blood! Halycon you suffer 1 point of constitution damage. Of the two darts that flew at you, one was wildly off base, the other smacks into your arm, but your thrashing with the bug threw off the angle and it glances off to the side.

Ezren it's your turn. You can hear Halycon grunting and the sounds of metal objects clattering on stone. (And of course everyone can take free actions to talk as they please).


Map Updates:
Halycon
Everyone else


I stopped checking for updates in early January. But apparently we're continuing? Any reason we did not get an "all hands on deck" e-mail to regather?

Ezren casts Mage Armor.


Didn't think of it. Sending out a PM to everyone else now. And A & B's actions:

mechanics:
A: 2 Rng atk vs. Halycon's AC:1st: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 2 - 4 = 1 dmg 1d3 + 0 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 0 - 1 = 2 2nd: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 2 - 4 = 15 dmg 1d3 + 0 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 0 - 1 = 0
B: 2 Rng atk vs. Halycon's Flat-footed AC: 1st: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 2 - 4 = -1 dmg 1d3 + 0 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 0 - 1 = 2 2nd: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 2 - 4 = 14 dmg 1d3 + 0 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 0 - 1 = 0
Four misses

Halycon:
The first two creatures you saw throw darts at you, along with 2 more you hadn't yet seen; all four entirely miss.

everyone else:
You hear sounds of weapons clattering in the darkness.

It's Ravagwen's turn.

Sczarni

Female Elf Druid/4

Ravagwen draws her scythe, motioning for Sin to move on up to Halycon's side. He doesn't have dark vision, but he still has scent.


Depending on whether Halycon takes an Attack of Opportunity and kills the stirge:
As Sin moves up to cover the half-orc's flank a buzzing creaure tries to sting at him from above! Touch attack vs. Sin: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 if it hits, Sin takes 1 con damage.
Sin knows there are creatures in Halycon's square, and smells some other creatures in the directions indicated on this map.
My understanding is that scent gives direction toward creatures within 30 feet, but not distance, except within 5 feet at which point it pinpoints squares.

51 to 100 of 209 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Odea's Short Adventure Playtest PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.