Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

GM/Lictor Lane's Who Needs Parenting? = CoT Team 1 IC Thread (Inactive)

Game Master michaelane


101 to 150 of 2,179 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

Putting her potions in her pack, Alarra says "I'll take point. I can see better than most in darkness." With that, she loads her crossbow and takes point.

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Moondark stays right behind Ithad- keeping the light and the possible traitor close.


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

Ithad suppresses a shiver with Moondark and Morosino so close behind him. Ithad looks back trying to find Satinal in all the confusion. He frowns at the noises that the Hell Knights are making upstairs as they search the tavern. As the group starts to head down the sewer tunnel, Ithad dogs Jo's steps. He is always two of his paces behind Jo.

Cheliax

You begin to move down the sewer tunnel, sounds of the Hellknights fading behind you as you move away from the tavern. Ithad's light shows a well-constructed tunnel, made of large blocks of quarried stone. The sewage channel itself is filled mostly with water, but garbage and sewage is visible as well.

As you move along, Janiven explains, "Arael and I made these marks a few months ago while we explored the sewers. We marked all intersections so our people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout. If we get separated, keep following the marks. Eventually, we will reach one that points up to the safehouse."

Marching Order in Sewers


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

"Jo think he get lost anyway." Jo thinks out loud.

He grips his hammer tightly ready for anything.

Cheliax

Janiven replies, "I'm hoping by the time we reach the safehouse, we'll find they've simply released him. We haven't done anything wrong. But, if not, I'll figure out how to deal with it. I'm troubled by the size of that force they sent against Vizio's."

You march through the sewers for about ten minutes. You occasionally hit an intersection and Janiven pauses to look for the marks, then points to the right direction and you continue on.

You can see that you are approaching another intersection when you hear voices ahead.

"We need to go this way. I'm sure they must be this way."

A second voice calls, "No you idiot. You have no idea which way we need to go. I'm sure it's this way."

A third voice interrupts, "You're both fools. We should wait right here, I'm sure they'll eventually run right into us."

The three voices continue arguing while you decide what to do.


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

Okay Rogues, looks like you're on!

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Moondark glances nervously at Janiven. "Are those Hellknights? How did they get ahead of us? Do you know another way?"

If the only way is forward she'll scout ahead, but asks if anyone has means for a distraction to send them running down another tunnel.
stealth if needed 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

How well lit is the crossroad ahead?

Alarra whispers to the party "Two options: try to go around or try to ambush them. We don't have much time."


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

Ithad whispering, “Asmodeus's beard! Moondark is right, although how might not be the right question. Having no idea on how many Hell Knights might be behind us, I think it is ill advised to retreat. But fool hardy to rush in with out any knowledge of how many we face ahead. So we will need reconnaissance, so who should go? Moondark?”


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

GM Lane - How does Jo feel about his chances of being able to fight in the confines of the sewers? Will he be able to swing his hammer or be stuck using his fists?

Jo whispers to the rest of the party, "Sounds like dare is tree. We can rush and surprise dem or make a sound and bring dem to us."

"Maybe little boy sneak out to get a look see and find out how many"


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

If know one else goes, Ithad will leave the wayfinder with Janiven and the sneak ahead to see what is there. Get an idea and then return to the party.
Stealth1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Perception1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Return Stealth1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

Seeing Ithad begin to move ahead of the party, Alarra whispers "Let me go. I can see in the dark better than you can. Jo, wait here with the rest. I'll be back shortly."

With that, Alarra sneaks ahead to the intersection and attempts to scout out the competition, taking pains to remain in the darkness where she (hopefully) has a vision advantage over the opposition. She will then attempt to sneak back to the party to report her findings to them.

Stealth out to the intersection: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Stealth to return: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

As a heads up, I will be out of town for the next week or thereabouts. I will post when I can, but internet access may be spotty at points.

Cheliax

Janiven replies, "I was worried about this possibility. There is more than one way into the sewers and the Hellknights may have sent a group ahead of us."

When she mentions the Hellknights, you see Morosino begin to fidget nervously in the light of the wayfinder. While she speaks, Jo tries to stretch up in the tunnel. He can't stand all the way up, but he should be able to fight with his hammer.

After a brief discussion, Alarra slips out ahead toward the intersection.

Alarra:

You reach the intersection and can see that it opens into a large, oddly shaped room with four exit tunnels and multiple sewer channels. One part of a channel connects to a long cesspit. Several large wooden planks form a simple bridge over another section of the channel. The cesspit is only a few inches deeper than the main channel.

To your right, you see three Hellknights. Two are sitting down. The third is standing. They are continuing to argue about whether to stay put or proceed further into the tunnels. While you watch them, you notice that while they appear to wear the intimidating armor of the Order of the Rack, the “plates” of their armor are actually boiled leather with chainmail reinforcements.

I'll post a map later today

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Moondark blanches at the thought that they may be surrounded by Hellknights, but is happy to let Alarra scout ahead.


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

“Morosino, what do you know about the Hell Knights? Is there more that we should know? Any details that might have slipped your mind after your run?”, Ithad asks, keeping his voice as low as it will go.


Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

DM:
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Does Alarra know the significance of the lookalike armor?

Cheliax

Morosino turns to Ithad, trembling as he hisses, "Gosh no! But, if they're Hellknights, we're doomed. They're terrible. They come to take you and lock you up and do terrible things to you. They're in allegiance with Hell for Iomedae's sake."

Janiven grabs the boy by the shoulders, "Easy Morosino, don't get yourself all worked up. They are trouble, but they're not all bad. We need to be careful around them, but they are only men."

Alarra:

You know that Hellknight recruits do not earn the full armor of the hellknights immediately upon joining the group. These may be trainees.
Map


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

Ithad suppresses a chuckle, “This is Cheliax, it seems anyone who is anyone has an allegiance to hell.” His countenance turns again morse, ”It is their steel that I worry about, but we have more than Hell on our side.”


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

"Dats right...you got JO!!!"

Jo grins a huge smile that is missing more than one tooth.

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1
Ithad Thrune wrote:
Ithad suppresses a chuckle, “This is Cheliax, it seems anyone who is anyone has an allegiance to hell.” His countenance turns again morse, ”It is their steel that I worry about, but we have more than Hell on our side.”

"Is that a confession, Thrune? What is taking Alarra so long? I'm not sure I trust her either. I seem to remember hearing Selkie Jim was seeing a woman with mismatched eyes before he got snatched..."


Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

Alarra sneaks back to the party, and says, quietly, "There are three hellknight trainees ahead. I don't think they spotted me or know of our presence, but it would be difficult to sneak past them. Can any of you knock them out without harming them? I would rather not kill anyone, hellknight or no."


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

"Jo say we smash 'em!"

Jo lifts his hammer head that has obviously seen many battles in The Pits


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

”No Moondark, it is an accurate observation of our society. It is what it is, just as we now face three hellknight squires. I could keep one with some simple prestidigitation, leaving two for the rest of the group to subdue. And we would need some rope to secure them with. Noble as your thought is Alarra, I think violence will be the course of the day.”

”So how does an ambush sound? Most of us retreat back to the last intersection and waits as one or two of us lure the squires back there.” Ithad ventures, quickly sketching out his plan with a bit chalk-rock on the walls.


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

"Jo like Thoon's plan! Jo stay back at here. Not want to scare puny squires away"

Jo is clearly excited about his first combat ourside of The Pits. He looks at Alarra pensively, though. He is also fearful for her safety.

Cheliax

Janiven chimes in, "That sounds like a good plan. I am willing to help lure the Hellknights if you would like. Morosino, you should drop back to the last intersection."

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1
Ithad Thrune wrote:
”I think violence will be the course of the day.”

"That's all we could expect from them. Torture and the dungeon if we're lucky. That sounds like a good plan, Ithad. Let's just do it before the rest catch up."


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

Initiative?

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Jo will move into position at the crossroads Ithad suggested in his plan. He will be sure to keep anyone who wants protection behind him.


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

“Then it is settled, Moondark and I will sneak ahead and attract their attention as the rest set up for an ambush.”

Not sure what is needed so...
Stealth
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Initative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Cheliax

Janiven nods and with the rest of the group, make their way back to the last intersection.

GM rolls:

Stealth for Moondark 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Perception for Hellknights 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

Moondark and Ithad:

The Hellknights continue arguing while you sneak down the tunnel. You reach the intersection and can see that it opens into a large, oddly shaped room with four exit tunnels and multiple sewer channels. One part of a channel connects to a long cesspit. Several large wooden planks form a simple bridge over another section of the channel. The cesspit is only a few inches deeper than the main channel.

To your right, you see three Hellknights. Two are sitting down. The third is standing. One of the sitting Hellknights gestures toward the tunnel where you now stand, "I tell you, we need to go that way ...Hey, there they are now!" The other two Hellknights spin and look in your direction.

You have the benefit of surprise. What do you want to do?
Map

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Despite her bravado, Moondark is shaking as they approach the Hellknights. Once they are spotted, Moondark steps to the edge of the walkway and flings a readied dart at the closest one. It tumbles end over end into the sewer. She grabs another dart and prepares to run.
5' step to within 30', throw dart point blank. reload.

init 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

surprise round.

ranged dart 1d20 + 4 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 - 2 + 1 = 5 -2 range, +1 PB
damage 1d4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (1) = 5

If i go before them on round 1. throw again and run.

ranged dart 1d20 + 4 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 - 2 + 1 = 4 -2 range, +1 PB
damage 1d4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + (6) = 9

wow, can't get worse than that...

Cheliax

Surprise Round
Moondark (resolved)
Ithad (unresolved)

Round 1
Initiative Order
1. Party
2. Hellknights

Moondark (resolved)
Ithad (unresolved)

Moondark throws two darts at the Hellknights, both tumbling into the slimy sewer water.

A Hellknight laughs, "Well, this is going to be easy. Let's get them now!"

Will update the battle map and Hell knight actions once Ithad goes.


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

Stepping forward, Ithad deftly throws one of his daggers, watching it spin blade over pommel towards the standing Hellknight.
Thrown dagger (-4 penalty to range): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
If hit, damage: 1d4 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

"Poor little children playing dress up, does your fathers' know you stole their armor!", Ithad taunts all the while grinning madly, "Try to keep up!"

Ithad turns and races back towards the last intersection, not waiting to see it Moondark keeps up.


Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

Alarra will hide in the shadows at the ambush site with her crossbow drawn and loaded, hoping to snipe the first of the hellknight trainees as they run after Moondark and Ithad. She will wait until they are within 30 feet before firing.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Crossbow Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
If hit, crossbow damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
If applicable, sneak attack damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

Jo will take up position at the intersection waiting for the first Hellknight to pass. He will swing his hammer at the first target.

You already have my previous initiative role.

To hit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
if hit: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Cheliax

Ithad and Moondark easily outrace the Hellknights running back to the intersection.

Intersection Map

Let me if these positions are ok according to the actions you have stated so far. Moondark and Ithad, let me know where you run to.


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

Ithad would continue down the passage, waiting until the ambush was sprung before turning around, then casting Summon Monster I - Celestial Dire Rat. Placing the Dire Rat hopefully behind the hellknights as to provide a flanking bonus for a turn for the frontline fighters.

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Flustered in the face of the Hellknights, Ari blows both her dart throws and wheels to run after Ithad. Upon reaching the intersection she ducks behind Jo figuring at least he'll give the bastards a good fight.


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

Our GM seems to have gone missing

Cheliax

Sorry guys, proper post coming up today.

Cheliax

Round 2
Initiative Order
1. Party
2. Hellknights

DM Rolls:

Initiative for Satinal 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Satinal (unresolved)
Moondark (unresolved)
I'm Jo (resolved)
Alarra (resolved)
Ithad (resolved)

The Hellknights run down the corridor pursuing Ithad and Moondark. At the intersection, Moondark darts to the left to hide behind Jo. Ithad continues straight.

Moments later, the Hellknights appear straight ahead. Alarra fires a crossbow bolt at the leading Hellknight. A wicked shot that hits him in the chest and causes him to momentarily falter and bellow, "We'll get you rebels!" They continue toward your position.

When they come within reach, Jo takes a mighty swing at the first Hellknight, but his blow merely glances off the Hellknight's armor.

Ithad spins and begins casting a spell and moments later, a huge rat appears next to the Hellknight.

Updated Battle Map

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

how deep is the non-walk way sewer?

As Moondark dodges behind Jo, those who watch her notice that she looks less like a beggar boy than a frightened girl. In fact her voice is pitched a bit higher as she yells encouragement from safely behind the giant pit fighter. but that could just be the fear.

"Push him over Jo, like a turtle. we'll see how tough he is when he's floundering in the muck!"

Cheliax

3 feet deep, let's go ahead and move on to Round 3, party is up first. Go ahead and post when you can and I'll resolve together.

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Is Janival going to be doing anything? I could at least try and flank from her side, although i'm not particularly effective in combat yet. probably better if I just step next to Jo and aid him to hit.

aid another 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20
sheesh. figures.

are these guys in full hellknight plate armor or something else? did we get a description?


M Human (Cheliaxan) Barbarian/Brutal Pugilist 2
STATS:
HP: 24, AC: 16, Tch: 11, FF: 16 F: +5, R: +1, W: +0, Init: +5, Per: +6

Jo gets angry that he missed on the first shot but seeing the rat appear gives him a better feeling that now his opponent is flanked.

He holds off his Rage for the time being and swings again at the first bad guy.

GM - Not sure if there is a cover element with the first guy but I do not want to miss the flanking bonus.

Swing at first one - 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21

Damage - 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

That felt better!

Cheliax

Oops, sorry, forgot the NPCs. Will also act for Satinal and then we can move to round 3

As soon as the Hellknight step into view, you hear Morosino scream and he runs down the passage away from the Hellknights.

Janiven yells, "Morosino, no!"

In spite of Moondark's aid, Jo strikes only a glancing blow that does no damage to the Hellknight.

Janiven takes aim at the lead Hellknight with her bow, letting an arrow fly.

Attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Janiven's arrow flies wide, striking a chip of stone out of the sewer wall.

Satinal begins speaking in an uplifting language that none of you understand and a light flashes into the Hellknight's face.

Will save 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4
The lead Hellknight turns, raising his weapon as if preparing to strike his fellow.

Perception (for Moondark) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Moondark:

Looks like Hellknight armor to you.

Round 3
Initiative Order
Moondark (unresolved)
Alarra (unresolved)
Hellknights (unresolved)
I'm Jo (unresolved)
Ithad (unresolved)
Janiven (unresolved)
Satinal (unresolved)
trying to roughly get it in order based on what were delayed or readied actions.


Female Changeling Rogue 1/Sorcerer 1

Alarra will reload her light crossbow (move action) and fire again at the nearest hellknight.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Cheliax

F Chelish Spy(Rog) 2/Detective (Brd) 1

Seeing that Janiven prefers ranged attacks as well, Moondark darts across the planks to the other side of the sewer and pushes the planks off so she and Janiven can safely snipe from the other side of the sewer beyond easy reach of the Hellknights.

Cheliax

Round 3
Initiative Order
Moondark (resolved)
Alarra (resolved)
Hellknights (resolved)
I'm Jo (resolved)
Ithad (unresolved)
Janiven (unresolved)
Satinal (unresolved)

Moondark darts across the planks to the other side of the intersection and pushes the planks off into the sewage.

Alarra loads and fires her crossbow at the lead Hellknight, but unfortunately, the shot goes wide, skimming off the surface of the sewage channel.

Inexplicately, the first Hellknight that turned toward the other two, swings his longsword at the Hellknight just behind him.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 misses

The attack hits the second Hellknight in the shoulder, but the blow fails to penetrate his armor and the second Hellknight yells, "You idiot, what are doing? Are you working for them?" He swings back at his supposed ally.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 misses

His attack also misses and the third Hellknight yells, "You're both idiots, get them not each other!" He swings at the dire rat that Ithad summoned next to him.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19 hits
Damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

His blow cleaves the dire rat through the shoulder and down into its chest. The rat drops into the sewer.

Jo takes an angry swing at the first Hellknight, his hammer crushing down on the Hellknight's helm. The Hellknight crumples to the ground.

Updated Map

Will wait to see if we get actions for Ithad and Satinal by mid-day tomorrow and will complete Round 3 tomorrow if not.


Male Human, Chelaxian Bard (Celebrity) 1

Wow, there goes my idea of smite evil!

Seeing the conjured rat cut down so quickly, Ithad draws a dagger and targets the hell knight that struck the killing blow.
Dagger Throw: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 2 - 4 = 15
If damaged: 1d4 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1

101 to 150 of 2,179 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM / Lictor Lane's Who Needs Parenting? = CoT Team 1 IC Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.