Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

GM Kobash - PFS First Steps Part III (Inactive)

Game Master Kobash

"A Vision of Betrayal" This is Part 3 of the First Steps series.


51 to 100 of 230 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Sense Motive

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"I think this is their idea of help." Adamus walks over to the tree and yanks the spear out. He hands it over to Haris. "I think they want you to use it. They seem to like you."

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Falyf nods, "that's what they said, a help for you, if we come across the beast - all yours." he adds with a smile.

Sczarni

HP 51 / AC 19 / CMD 19* / Fort +4, Ref +9, Will+2 (Rogue Acrobat 6)

Haris takes the monolithic spear and waves a thanks back at the centaurs. "Heh. Well you know the saying, 'When hunting big cats, bring big spear." Later down the road and out of sight of the horsemen, "I'm more likely to kill myself with this than use it right."

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Upon closer examination the spear appears to be a weapon of masterwork quality. Also, tied near the blade, is a small bag with 8 berries inside that Falyf is able to identify as magically enchanted with the goodberry spell.

Add treasure: masterwork spear and 8 goodberries (4 day duration)

Your group travels the rest of the day through the forest without problems, camping under the canopy that night, then continuing on for a few more hours the next day before the sound of running water echoes ahead. Soon the dense forest opens, revealing a river that blocks the way forward. A large felled tree trunk offers a way over the swift moving river. With the exception of the rushing sound of the water, an eerie silence pervades the area. Then a breeze brings the fresh smell of death, and you see the half-eaten carcass of a large deer on the riverbank.

Curraine and Haris:

Both of you recognize several rake marks that scar the carcass, suggesting a powerful feline felled this animal.

Group Rolls - Perception:

Falyf 1d20 ⇒ 2
Adamus 1d20 ⇒ 6
Curraine 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Haris 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

"You think the animal the centaurs mentioned did this?"

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Falyf, after taking a closer look, shrugs. [b]"To be honest, no clue,"[/b[] he responds.

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

If anyone wants to examine the deer carcass, they will have to get close to it. Then they can roll a survival check to see if anything further can be learned from it.

Sczarni

HP 51 / AC 19 / CMD 19* / Fort +4, Ref +9, Will+2 (Rogue Acrobat 6)

"I guess the centaurs believed the same on my skills with the spear and had some foresight.", Haris shakes the goodberries at the group. "-Well, back in my days on the circus, one of those hound sized felines took a swipe at some poor sod that got too close, the result looked a lot like this here." Haris crouches down points at deep parallel gashes in the dead meat.

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

"Wonder what it was, and I am not inclined to meet it." Falyf responds, as he takes a look.

Survival 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Adamus will also take a closer look.

Survival

1d20 ⇒ 12

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Upon closer examination Adamus is fairly certain that the creature that killed the deer walks on four large paws, which have left fresh prints around the carcass.

Adamus and Haris:
You have a distinct feeling of being watched, though nothing immediately happens to confirm the feeling.

Group Rolls:

Perception
Falyf 1d20 ⇒ 13
Adamus 1d20 ⇒ 7
Haris 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Curraine 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Sense Motive
Falyf 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
Adamus 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Haris 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Curraine 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

"Shall we move on?" Falyf asks.

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

"Yes, let us go."

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

"Alright then." As Falyf shoulders his backpack

Sczarni

HP 51 / AC 19 / CMD 19* / Fort +4, Ref +9, Will+2 (Rogue Acrobat 6)

Stopping for a break during the long trek through the woods, Haris frowns up at the Golarian sun and comments dryly, "Looks like it's not moving at all."

"It was a good idea to stick to the road. I had abhor the thought that Adamus might get the bright idea to go bumping through the woods looking for kitty tracks."

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

It appears there are two ways to cross the small river beyond the carcass. You can traverse a fallen tree or wade across the swiftly flowing water.

Crassing the tree requires an acrobatics check. Fording the river requires a strength check.

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Adamus will choose to wade across the river.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 Or not.

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

As Falyf sees Adamus failing in his attempt to get across he rushes to help him to get out of the water.

Sczarni

HP 51 / AC 19 / CMD 19* / Fort +4, Ref +9, Will+2 (Rogue Acrobat 6)

"YAAHHHOOOOOOO!!!" cries Haris. He had snickered up a tree and found sturdy foliage to take his weight. Leaping off the branch, swinging in a wide arc over the running water towards the other side.

Acrobatics 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Did Falyf get Adamus out?

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Haris leaps to the other side, clearing the water but landing a gooey splurt as his feet splash mud up his pants. Adamus attempts to wade across, but the current is stronger than he expected and he quickly finds himself being swept downstream. Falyf jumps in to help but is caught up as well. Struggling against the stream, they both suffer scrapes and bruises from being dragged against some rocks and debris. 1 HP damage

ROLLS:

Adamus strength check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Falyf strength check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Being downstream, Falyf will either try to get across there (if it is shallow), or take his time (take 10) to balance across.

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Unfortunately do to the threat of being damaged you can't take 10. Swim check or Strength check to cross or be dragged over more rocks on the way downstream.

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Adamus will again try to wade across the stream and onto the other side.

Strength Check
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17 Yay, not a 1!

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Adamus grabs a fallen tree branch and drags himself ashore.

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Falyf tries again.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Falyf gets clobbered again by a branch to the face (1 HP damage) before he manages to scramble out of the water about 20 feet further downstream from Adamus.

As the wet and muddy collect on the far side, Curraine and Nestor inch across the fallen tree on their bottoms to join them. Once on the far side Nestor takes special care to brush off his clothes, though they have not a single drop of mud or water on them.

"Might want to wear less armor next time ya go swimmin bros." Curraine says with a grin as he channels energy to heal the bumps and scrapes, though Falyf still has an slightly discolored shiner on his cheek. "There ya go. Sorry I can't do much for your dignity, heh."

There is still a bit of light left in the day if you wish to continue traveling, or you can camp at the river and dry off.

Curraine's Channel Energy 1d6 ⇒ 1

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

I'm good to keep traveling.

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Falyf turns to Curraine, "thank you, now let's keep going - to get dry."

Keep on going a bit more sure

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

You travel a few more hours until the light begins to fade, then stop to camp for the night.

Do you set watches? If so, who and when?

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Watches for sure, I'd suggest two watches, Falyf with Haris and Adamus with Curraine

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

What Falyf said sounds good to me.

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Keep in mind that setting two watches like this will mean a 12 hour rest period for everyone to get 8 hours sleep. You can probably shorten this to 10 hours with 5 hours sleep without penalty, though multiple days of cutting corners will require con checks to avoid fatigue.

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

In that case, I'm thinking 3 watches then. Haris and Nestor on watch one, Adamus on watch two, and Falyf and Curraine on watch three. No corner cutting and no spending half the day sleeping.

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Good suggestion, I am fine with it

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Bedding down for the night, Haris and Nestor take the first shift in keeping watch over the camp. Haris tells jokes and entertains both himself and the appraiser while the others take to bed.

No one notices the creature stalk through the darkness at the edge of the firelight, and the scream that comes from Curraine breaks the quiet like broken glass as teeth sink into his flesh. 6 HP

Both of those on watch cringe at the sound, but Falyf sits bolt upright instantly awake and ready.

ROLLS:

Haris Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Nestor Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

GM Rolls
Random 1d3 ⇒ 1
Stealth 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Bite 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Damage 1d6 ⇒ 6

Initiative
Falyf 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Adamus 1d20 ⇒ 2
Curraine 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Haris 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Nestor 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Creature 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

SURPRISE ROUND - Falyf is the only one who can act before the creature goes again.

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Falyf will cast colour spray to put it to knock it out (DC15 WIL save).

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

The creature looks straight at Falyf as he completes his spell and unleashes a blast of colorful light. Unfortunately Curraine is also caught in the spell's effect. Both make funny noises before collapsing unconscious together in a pile.

Will Save 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Curraine Will Save 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Stun duration 2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Nice job. So is it safe to assume that in those 4 rounds, the rest of us can beat the creature into pulp?

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

It's pretty safe to say it's mince meat. Feel free to post some roleplaying flavor and I'll move on tonight.

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Like everyone else sleeping within 10 miles, Adamus wakes when he hears Curraine scream. He wakes up just in time to see Falyf cast his spell to knock Curraine and the creature out. He realizes it won't last long as he picks up his hammer. He then moves over to the creature and starts beating the vicious creature into permanent unconsciousness. "Good job, Falyf. Are you alright, Curraine?"

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

Curraine wakes up to find a dead cat-like creature sprawled next to him. With a girlish squeak he scrambles away and looks around with a confused look on his face, then groans and puts a hand to his bloody shoulder where the thing had sunk its teeth into him. Seeing blood on his fingers he instinctively barks out a prayer of healing, then turns in circles for a moment trying to see how bad the damage is.

"Damn Bros. That hurt, but I think I'm ok. What happened? You guys fall asleep on watch?"

Cure light wounds 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

"I don't know. Maybe that was what the centaurs were hunting out here? Let's just get some sleep and get moving in the morning."

Sczarni

HP 51 / AC 19 / CMD 19* / Fort +4, Ref +9, Will+2 (Rogue Acrobat 6)

Haris blearily rolls over to his left side, away from the nagging root in his right shoulder; barely muttering, "Can you guys keep it down?", before continuing to snore on.

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

The rest of the night passes without incident. Morning comes, and besides a few bloodstains on Curraine's tunic, and the BIG DEAD CAT on the ground near his bedroll, the group is none the worse for wear.

I'm out of town for the week, but should be able to post a continuation tonight.

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

As camp is being broken and the last bits of bedrolls and trail rations are stowed a clomping sound heralds the arrival of Urdal Thunderhoof and his centaur trackers. Eyeing the corpse of the beast nearby, he grunts his approval.

"Ah, should have known it was a Krenshar." He mutters, using a spear to prod at the strangely loose skin of its face. "Smart bastards they are. Guess you were smarter or stronger, hmm?"

Reaching into the saddlebags, or flankpacks, or whatever centaurs call the bags they carry, he pulls out a few prepared pelts and tosses them to Adamus. "By your route you're headed up into the high passes. It gets cold up there. These might help. And you could likely sell them on the other side. Fair trade for this corpse, hmm?"

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

"Fair trade. Take it." Adamus starts handing them out to the rest of the party.

Sovereign Court Star Voter 2014

The centaurs depart with informal waves and nods of their heads, leaving your group to continue your travels.

You soon leave the forests and begin climbing the pass leading up through the mountains. The journey is not a walk in the park and the temperature drops the higher you climb. By mid-afternoon you've crossed that invisible line that determines where bare rock ends and snow begins and by evening have come to an outcropping that gives a breathtaking view of the isle to the south where the great city of Absalom sprawls beyond the blasted Cairnlands.

Looking for a good spot to camp, you spy a covered wagon half-buried in the snow.

Investigate the wagon or ignore and camp elsewhere?

Silver Crusade

Male Ulfen Hospitaler 8 HP: 68/68 AC: 22 FF: 22 Touch:10 F: +15 R:+9 W:+15 Init:+0, Perception +0 (Effects:None)

Check it out of course. Have to help someone in need! Or more likely bury the body properly

Grand Lodge

male Human Sorcerer 1 Wizard 1| AC 12 T 11 FF 11 | HP 15/15 | F +2 R +1 W +1 | Init +5 Perc +5; Darkvision

Sure, and maybe use it as a shleter for the night - better this then in the snow and taking time to check it (take 20)

51 to 100 of 230 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Kobash - PFS First Steps Part III All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.