GM Kate's Ruins of Azlant (closed)

Game Master Kate Baker


1,501 to 1,550 of 2,487 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

The combined efforts of Silt, Joli, and Jerome easily take down the carnivorous weed. With a moment to recover, you soon notice that the hill gives you a clear view of most of the island, including something that none of you have seen before: what looks like a tower on the northwestern part of the island. You estimate it would take two days to get there.

It takes a few hours to collect the ingredients that Alba asked for.

Grand Lodge

CG Changeling Synthesist Summoner 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | CMB +3, CMD 16 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Ranged:Underwater crossbow +6 1d8, Melee: Rapier +3 1d6+0 | Spells: 0 5, 1st 4/4 | SLA Summon Monster 2 8/8 | Ill Omen 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

!!!

Exciting! Can we see it well enough to make out any details?


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

It's too far away to make out much. I marked the location on Slide 8.


Male Rougarou Aquakineticist 4 | hp 44/44 | NL 4 (from burn 4), Burn 1/8 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | | F +6, R +6, W +2 | Water blast +6/2d6+7 B | Per +5 (low-light), SM +1 | Change shape 1/1 | Speed 30ft (+10 on flat, +20 downhill), Swim 20ft | Current conditions: Elem. Over. +1/+2, cold-resist 6, bleed 2 | Init +3

"Ooh, a tower! Let's go check it out!"

Toby would start walking immediately, ignoring entirely things like packing food or camping gear. He also seems to have already forgotten the frightening memory the plant brought up.


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

Purpose Creche picks his way through the now-inert plants to see what the excitement's about.

"Ah," he says upon spying the tower. "Wait, Toby. We have a job to do first. And it's quite far off."
His mind thrums with ideas. "But I'm incredibly interested in investigating the structure. Maybe it's of Azlanti origin."

As he picks herbs for Alba, Purpose Creche bundles them in sheafs with small lengths of twine, which he strings together in a chain he drapes over a shoulder.


Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

"Shelter for survivors, mayhap?" Joli looks around for trees that will give an even wider view, and climbs any that he finds. He gauges how close the tower is to the shore.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Changeling Synthesist Summoner 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | CMB +3, CMD 16 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Ranged:Underwater crossbow +6 1d8, Melee: Rapier +3 1d6+0 | Spells: 0 5, 1st 4/4 | SLA Summon Monster 2 8/8 | Ill Omen 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

Cedar shields his eyes from the sun as he peers at the distant tower.

"Could it be from ancient Azlant? You don't suppose anyone could still live there? It must be a thousand years old. Perhaps Uma and the others made their way there. We should let Ramona know, but it may cause another panic if too many people find out."

"It's going to take days to reach the tower. We should prepare." He turns to Toby with a smile and adds:"But the last one there smells like old potatoes!"


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

”I don’t know what that smells like, yet.”


Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

Joli calls down from the trees, "Are potatoes some strange creature from Arcadia?" Once he has the lay of the land, he climbs down to help gather the reagents.


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

Assuming you head back to town...

Alba is delighted with the haul from the expedition. "Why, there's got to be 600 gp worth of reagents here! I'll use half of it for you, and the other half to replenish my stocks. I'm still copying over spells to my formula book, but I'll give you another 450 in store credit for those." So altogether, you can get 750 gp worth of potions/alchemical items from Alba free of charge!

As you make your way toward the middle of the town, you notice a commotion. A group has gathered and you hear angry shouts. Father Kurvis Nurpico is walking away, rolling his eyes.

"It's Luetin and HArcourt, getting into it. They haven't liked each other since Day 1. But I'm afraid Eamon and I are responsible for this latest scuffle. We realized we don't really like living together, and for our friendship (and sanity's) sake, we've offered up the house to someone else while we move into smaller private quarters. Luetin thinks he should have the house because it's close to the smithy. Harcourt thinks his wealth gives him the most status, and he should have it. They both have family coming on later expeditions. Ramona should be handling this, but she's off with Lyra looking at some of the local plants, and I don't expect her back for a few hours."

Some of the shouting becomes more distinct.

"I wouldn't expect someone of your class to appreciate the demands placed upon people of business."

"You only want want the house in the palisade because you're a coward! It's not like you can keep your precious horses there."

"That does it! No one calls me a coward!"

The two men stand about twenty feet apart, surrounded by a small crowd of colonists. Neither has a visible weapon, but they look seconds away from coming to blows.


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

Purpose Creche maneuvers through the small crowd and steps directly between Harcourt and Luetin. He extends a hand towards each.

"Wait."

He looks from one to the other, trying to get a better read on their mental and emotional states before speaking.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

Is there something specific that you’re trying to pick up on?


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

Hmm, not really, come to think of it D: I guess roll that check forward to see how they react?

"You do not like each. This has been plain the entire voyage and settlement period. Arguing in front of most of the colony will not improve this. Neither will it resolve your housing."

Purpose Creche lowers his arms. "We should take time for emotions to calm. Then discuss the situation afterwards. I am happy to arbitrate. I'm sure you each have legitimate concerns, but one cannot hear the others' in public when anger is high."

He raises a hand and uncurls one thin finger, as if to forestall argument, and his soft voice whispers its way through the crowd's hubbub. "That is not to say all concerns are legitimate. But cool heads must parse one from the other."


Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

Joli bounds after Purpose, landing between the feuding colonists with a flourish and gentle smile. "Please, sirs. We've so much land, with perhaps the choicest options yet to be discovered. I've no doubt that together we'll all find the perfect homes to meet our needs." He looks from one to the other, ready to give a tongue lashing to the first one who thinks to strike a blow.

Grand Lodge

CG Changeling Synthesist Summoner 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | CMB +3, CMD 16 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Ranged:Underwater crossbow +6 1d8, Melee: Rapier +3 1d6+0 | Spells: 0 5, 1st 4/4 | SLA Summon Monster 2 8/8 | Ill Omen 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

Cedar steps into the crowd with Purpose and Joli.

”Everyone just calm down,” he says, his mismatched eye flashing. ”As a representative of the Bountiful Venture Company, let me remind you that we didn’t come to Ancorato to bicker and fight with each other. We came here to live a better life than that. There are plenty of resources for everyone. I’m sure we can figure out a solution here that works for all.”

Under his breath, he says to Joli and Purpose. ”Maybe we should take the house? It’s the biggest one and we’re five.”


Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

Joli gives a small shake of the head to Cedar. We cannot lay claim and also mediate.


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

The impassioned words seem to halt the immediate hostilities, as both men back off slightly and relax. But the anger between the two seems to continue. They keep giving each other dirty looks.

Purpose, with your Sense Motive check, you suspect the men will be right back at it as soon as you're all gone.


Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

"Master Harcourt, my companions’ve spotted some excellent land to the west that may be ideal for an estate as befits a noble family. We’ll be exploring in the next days to make sure it’s suitable. We’ll need Master Luetin to forge the nails and hinges for your estate. The sconces on the wall shall be from his forge. Let’s lay the foundation for your family ere they arrive. Let Master Luetin reside near the forge."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Rougarou Aquakineticist 4 | hp 44/44 | NL 4 (from burn 4), Burn 1/8 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | | F +6, R +6, W +2 | Water blast +6/2d6+7 B | Per +5 (low-light), SM +1 | Change shape 1/1 | Speed 30ft (+10 on flat, +20 downhill), Swim 20ft | Current conditions: Elem. Over. +1/+2, cold-resist 6, bleed 2 | Init +3

Is he talking about that neat tower? Toby starts pointing and looking at his fingers, trying to figure out which direction is west.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Changeling Synthesist Summoner 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | CMB +3, CMD 16 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Ranged:Underwater crossbow +6 1d8, Melee: Rapier +3 1d6+0 | Spells: 0 5, 1st 4/4 | SLA Summon Monster 2 8/8 | Ill Omen 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

"Yes, we could decide that," Cedar says, with a look to Joli. Why are we choosing between the two of them? "We could choose to give the biggest, nicest house in the village to one person. We could decide that and choose between Harcourt and Luetin. Or we could choose neither of them."

He turns to the crowd. "Why should one family have the biggest, nicest house right in the center of the village when it could belong to all of us? It could become a public house for everyone to enjoy. It could be a reminder to all of us of the hard work we did together in establishing this place."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Aquatic Humanoid HP 18/39 | AC 20 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +7 (9 enl.), CMD 19(18 fl) (20 enl.) | F: +7, R: +3, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Goliath Druid 4 | Speed 20ft, Swim 40ft | Active conditions: Visualization of the Body, Barkskin

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Silt frowns. Settled… without a fight. He blinks at Harcourt. Hare-court. He squints at Luetin. Looting.

He coughs and adjusts the farmer's hat. He says to Joli, My kind… we defend home. Else, how can we defend reefs? He tilts his head and rubs a fin. What will these ones do when evil rass-berries encroach on priceless fields of tubers? Make friends? Shake hands with thorns? He chuckles: Their chins, dribbling red!


Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

Joli looks quizzically at Silt and then gives an amused shrug at the rest of the gathering. "They’re fine folk both. Otherwise they would not have joined this blessed venture. No doubt they’ll happily guard our settlement against.... Raspberries." He chuckles at the last.

"A public house sounds like a fine idea. Masters Luetin, Harcourt, what say you? Mayhap quarters for you therein?"


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

Harcourt nods in agreement, staring off into the west, imagining his future estate.

Luetin scowls.

Anyone want to talk to Luetin specifically?


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

Purpose Creche moves next to Luetin and speaks softly, as always.

"Quarters in a public house leave you close to the smithy. A location both useful and right. You have family coming, I understand. Public house quarters would not be enough." He looks up at the older man, dull sunlight on the matte surface of his eyeband. "We have an island of resources. As Cedar said. We can turn the smithy into both work space and family home. What do you think?"


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

Can I get a Diplomacy roll, please? Aiding is allowed.


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

Not my strongest suit!

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

Grand Lodge

CG Changeling Synthesist Summoner 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | CMB +3, CMD 16 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Ranged:Underwater crossbow +6 1d8, Melee: Rapier +3 1d6+0 | Spells: 0 5, 1st 4/4 | SLA Summon Monster 2 8/8 | Ill Omen 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

"Come now, Luetin, think about it. Living at the smithy gives you even closer access. And I'm sure you can see how important a public house will be for the village. This solution is going to be a great for everyone."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Rougarou Aquakineticist 4 | hp 44/44 | NL 4 (from burn 4), Burn 1/8 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | | F +6, R +6, W +2 | Water blast +6/2d6+7 B | Per +5 (low-light), SM +1 | Change shape 1/1 | Speed 30ft (+10 on flat, +20 downhill), Swim 20ft | Current conditions: Elem. Over. +1/+2, cold-resist 6, bleed 2 | Init +3

"Yeah, plus then we get to have a neat pub to hang out at!"

Diplo, aid: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Aquatic Humanoid HP 18/39 | AC 20 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +7 (9 enl.), CMD 19(18 fl) (20 enl.) | F: +7, R: +3, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Goliath Druid 4 | Speed 20ft, Swim 40ft | Active conditions: Visualization of the Body, Barkskin

1d20 - 2 ⇒ (11) - 2 = 9

Karl can help babysit your children when they arrive.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

Luetin seems a little put off by Silt and Toby, but he nods along with the words from Purpose and Cedar.

"Well, it would be nice to have a proper pub around here. And then I could have a house just the way I want it. All right, agreed."

The crowd eventually disperses with the tensions eased. Father Kurvis gives you his approval. "I see your trouble-shooting abilities extend beyond fighting monsters. I'm sure Ramona will be pleased when she gets back to see how you've settled this."

I imagine you'll want to talk to Ramona when she gets back about where to go from here, but this is also the end of Part 2! You can level your characters up to 3.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Aquatic Humanoid HP 18/39 | AC 20 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +7 (9 enl.), CMD 19(18 fl) (20 enl.) | F: +7, R: +3, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Goliath Druid 4 | Speed 20ft, Swim 40ft | Active conditions: Visualization of the Body, Barkskin

Lootin, will you exchange labor for a very large knife? I can weave you fresh kelp drapes that smell lovely: like the muddy low tide on sweltering afternoons. Or, kelp bedsheets, so sleeping you feel like a body floating under the seaweed on a dark night. Or, Karl and his acid will visit you and your family, to forever destroy any rass-berries encroaching on your tuber gardens. The smell of victory will linger for months.

Silt adjusts his hat and squeezes his eyes shut, trying to think about his experiences with other villagers thus far. After several uncomfortable moments, he continues: I could help in other ways too, such as carrying anvils or helping you set up your shop. I am strong.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Silt put 1 point into diplomacy upon leveling up, representing a little bit of integration into the community, and allowing him to contribute in social encounters a bit better.


Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

Ramona returns and listens to the stories: the choker caves, the search for reagents, the tower, and the fight between Harcourt and Luetin.

"Well done, troubleshooters! Yes, that has been brewing between Harcourt and Luetin for a while. I'm glad you found a solution that works for both of them.

As for the search for survivors, I want to find out what happened as much as anyone, but my first priority has to be the settlers who are here now, and I need you to help protect them. I don't think I can authorize aimless searches that might put you, and therefore the colony, at risk. It's quite another thing if you have a lead though, and that tower certainly sounds worth looking into! When would you like to go?"

Do you want to take a few days for stuff like crafting, or just head out?


N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

I'd like at least two days so I can try to make a [i]scavenger's stone[i] - it's 1,000gp, though, and I don't know how folks feel about me taking that big of a chunk of the party loot. I also wanna do a levelup RP post, hopefully today!
I'm still going through and figuring what resources we have. I'll post in Discussion once I'm done.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

Joli strides forward as Ramona delivers her guidance, chest puffed out a bit. "That’s wise, ma’am. Though finding survivors may be the best route to protecting the village. We’ve yet little clue about what befell the settlement. Anyhoo, the tower’s a lead for sure."

* * *

At sunset Joli makes his way down to the shore again with Iggi. Once again he bathes himself and Iggi in sea foam, singing softly to Jalaijatali.

"Upon the wind I hear
The cries of terns
To join them ere
The moon is new
Upon the tower
Amid the song of
Surf and sea.

I pray you’ll bless
My goodly crew
That we may make this isle
A shrine to your sweet song."

He smiles and continues humming his tune. At length he settles into a meditative stupor, and hears Iggi singing to him at greater length about the spirits that fill the planar seas.

* * *

In the morning he wakes as high tide returns. He wades into the surf and swims out in search of food and ornaments. In particular he seeks oysters bearing pearls, with a Iggi swimming alongside.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Level up:

+1 first level spell/day
+1 prepared orison
+1 bab
+1 Will saves
3 ranks knowledge (planes)
1 rank Acrobatics
1 tank Perception
Feat: Celestial Obedience (+4 v. All magical effects by aquatic and water creatures)
7 HP
Caster Level 3


2 people marked this as a favorite.
N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

That night, Purpose Creche rests on the roof of the Oathsworn house.
In his mind’s eye, he walks along a bending spiral path amidst raining ash. His feet ring against the iron walkway.
Trees sprout, grow, and whiter between the curving lines of the path, and phantasmal figures flicker in and out of existence between them: plants and animals; buildings in various stages of construction and collapse; a canine-headed being, ears laid flat; grindylow, tentacles writhing; a frog curled beneath a coat; a curly-haired man, eyes roiling like a stormy sea, then laughing uproariously; a broad-shouldered lokathah, smiling wide as an insect tears apart a hunk of meat.



A wyrwood, sandy body and dark iron, stands before Purpose Creche. In the figure’s eyeband are reflected dozens, hundreds, of wyrwoods stretched behind Purpose Creche, treading where he has trod. But when he turns, they are not there. When he turns back neither is the other him, who has receded into some abstract physicality, along and down the path, towards an impossible horizon at the center of the iron spiral.
There, at the edge of perception, the simulacrum twists and rises, drawing upwards into a spire whose tip disappears amongst the stars above.


The ashfall thickens, accreting over the hours Purpose Creche spends trudging towards that spire, always out of reach at the horizon-singularity. He pushes through thigh-high drifts, demolishes waist-high mounds, digs through soft, caustic depths, until the world is all one emberchild shade.



A shade that gives way to familiar sensations. Ancorato sun, the sound of surf. What he now knows are smells, the distinct registers of his home and his companions.

And, of course, ash. Beside him, the charred prayerbook exudes an unfamiliar psychic potential.



Purpose Creche ponders that potential, meditating on it and his strange vision as he spends the day in mundane works: swordplay and archery practice, carpentry lessons, taking stock of the colony’s resources.


When his work is done, he returns home. From his corner of the dwelling he retrieves and opens the teakwood box, plucking from within the splintered reminders of his recent wounds. He takes them, along with his gandasa and a handful of old Chelish coins, and climbs onto the roof.

He removes his coat, spreads it on the thatch, and carefully arranges the objects atop the dark leather. The gandasa and a straight line of gold bracket the equidistantly spaced splinters.


He kneels. He raises thin arms towards the sky, palms together, delicate fingers curled and cupped. As twilight turns to night, the assembled components crawl slowly, glacially, towards and up the wyrwood’s body; the gandasa's blade becomes malleable. They snake their way along his torso, a slow procession that spirals around the new wood of his old wounds, then down his arms and into his outstretched hands.



By the time the moon has reached its zenith, the coins, weapon, and splinters have twisted together into a smooth egg of gold and iron, pierced through by fragments of blonde wood.
Scavanger’s stone complete! It was a DC 6 Spellcraft check and I have a +10, so I didn’t bother rolling.

Levelup stuff:
  • One more 1st level spell/day

  • Ranks in Knowledge (Arcana, Nature, Religion), Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Perception, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

  • Future gaze focus power, which lets me expend mental focus stored in the charred spellbook to cast augury as a standard action.

  • Saves, HP, all that boring stuff!

  • 3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Male Rougarou Aquakineticist 4 | hp 44/44 | NL 4 (from burn 4), Burn 1/8 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | | F +6, R +6, W +2 | Water blast +6/2d6+7 B | Per +5 (low-light), SM +1 | Change shape 1/1 | Speed 30ft (+10 on flat, +20 downhill), Swim 20ft | Current conditions: Elem. Over. +1/+2, cold-resist 6, bleed 2 | Init +3

    Toby walks through town, spending his time to explore pathways and buildings he hasn't yet had a chance to see. He returns friendly waves, says hello to Carver as he passes, and spends an hour helping Eamon and Kurvis carry their belongings to their new accommodations.

    As he loops around back towards home, he finds himself passing the smithy. Intending to ask Luetin about having a new chain shirt made out of lighter material that won't interfere with his swimming, Toby is instead greeted by the crackling of flame and the strong smell of smoke. Turning the corner, he finds one wall of the smithy partially engulfed in flames, ignited by an unattended lantern. Without thinking, Toby releases a blast of water that rattles the whole structure, knocking tools loose from their hooks and completely quenching the fire.

    Oh shoot! I didn't mean to hit it that hard!

    Luetin runs in, woodcutting ax in hand, to find his smithy dripping wet and in minor disarray. "Toby? What int he world happened?"

    Toby's ears flatten a bit as he stands, dripping wet in the middle of the room. "I'm sorry! I came in here to talk to you and saw the wall on fire and I...I didn't really think I just tried to put the fire out. I guess I kinda made a mess of your stuff. I'll help clean it up though!"

    He quickly begins picking up scattered tools and hanging them back on the pegs, mostly in the wrong places. He's interrupted by a friendly laugh and a wave of Luetin's hand. "Don't worry about it, Toby, I'll take care of it. And you don't need to apologize for saving my shop! Heck, who knows how long it would have been before I noticed." He quickly rights the scattered tools, wiping each down with an oiled rag to prevent rust. "Now, what was brought you by here in the first place?"

    -----

    Walking home after asking Luetin to make him a lightweight shirt that won't weigh him down, Toby has time to process what happened. I'm glad that worked to put out the fire, I wasn't sure. Still, that was way stronger than I intended. If I can't control it, then things are gonna go bad, just like they did before. I like it here, I don't want to mess up this home, too.

    Level up stuff:
  • Quenching infusion: Toby's blasts can now quench nonmagical fires, as if they had been touched by a water elemental (seemed like it might be useful to be able to add Fire Department to our list of services.
  • Kinetic blasts now deal 2d6 base damage, instead of 1d6.
  • Elemental overflow: burn makes things more powerful.
  • Bludgeoner feat: Toby can now do nonlethal w/o a penalty (GM permission)
  • Skills, saves, etc.
  • I'll get my profile updated this evening, if I can.

    Grand Lodge

    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    CG Changeling Synthesist Summoner 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | CMB +3, CMD 16 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Ranged:Underwater crossbow +6 1d8, Melee: Rapier +3 1d6+0 | Spells: 0 5, 1st 4/4 | SLA Summon Monster 2 8/8 | Ill Omen 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

    Elated with Ramona’s praise, Cedar thanks all the Troubleshooters for their hard work, giving pats on the back and nods of appreciation. He asks Ramona for a few days, “so our wyrwood friend can repair himself.”

    He holds his head high as he walks through the village afterwards, noting how the homes and buildings look now that he’s helped to protect them. Something feels different, but he can’t say what.

    Was that door always crooked, that roof always leaning? Did someone put those barrels out or had they been there? And did the sun always hit the town hall so perfectly as it sank beneath the sea?

    The sea. Always the sea.

    Cedar walks along the beach as the waves roll softly and the sky turns to gold. Feeling lonely he picks up a stick and calls to Mitzi. Cedar laughs with surprise when she arrives with two friends, Scout and Gloria! He plays with the poodles, running and chasing them along the water until they return to their plane.

    He shakes his head in disbelief. He didn’t know he had it in him to summon three poodles at once!

    ”Maybe what’s changed is me,” he says. Laughing at the thought he wades into the waves and calls forth Hakkuho, who forms around Cedar in a swirl of foam and mist.

    Hakkuho loops beneath the waves, laughing musically as he stretches out his new, longer neck.

    ”Simply wonderful,” he says of the change.

    Level up stuff:

    +1 BAB
    +1 Fort and Reflex Saves
    +1 1st level spell
    Summon Monster II SLA!
    New Feat: Augmented Summon!
    Put a point in Kn: Local and Craft: Traps (Thought that might be something fun while we’re out and about.)
    New evolution point for Hakkuho (spent it on reach for his bite)!


    Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

    Not sure whether Joli’s efforts to find pearls has yielded success, but...

    Over the next few days, Joli invites his water loving friends to join him exploring the island shelf near the settlement. He continues searching for pearls and other items suitable for channeling Jalaitalai’s power. "And other fruits of the sea to feed our neighbors!"

    He proceeds with caution, assessing what predators the shallow waters hold.


    N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

    Purpose Creche comes along on at least one such expedition. As it's not far from the colony, he doesn't wear his heavy coat, though he does bring the splinter, "belt," and book; they're lashed to his chest with twine. He stands in the surf and catalogues unfamiliar smells, or walks in past his head to better see what the sandy floor has to offer. When he returns to the beach, he stands for many minutes at the center of a dark patch of damp sand while his body slowly dries.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NG Aquatic Humanoid HP 18/39 | AC 20 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +7 (9 enl.), CMD 19(18 fl) (20 enl.) | F: +7, R: +3, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Goliath Druid 4 | Speed 20ft, Swim 40ft | Active conditions: Visualization of the Body, Barkskin

    Not much time to do a scene, but I enjoyed these!

    Silt spends the next couple mornings working on his kelp farm.

    Profession Kelp Farmer: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

    Again, his work is dragged out to sea. He spends the next sunrise scouting for a location less susceptible to rip tides; he meditates on the ocean endlessly disemboweling the island, and how these daily victories and failures of industry are ultimately delusional.

    Children wail in the afternoon while he he thuds about, twelve feet tall, helping Luetin set up shop. He offers them dried seaweed snacks and they flee. In the evenings, he plays bone-fetch with Karl.

    Level Up:

    Abilities
    ---------
    Trackless Step

    Skills
    ------
    +1 Handle Animal
    +1 Diplomacy
    +1 Perception

    Feat
    ----
    Power Attack

    Spells/Day
    ----------
    Level 0: 4
    Level 1: 3 + 1 (Rage Domain)
    Level 2: 2 + 1 (Rage Domain)


    Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

    Sorry, Joli, I missed the bit about the pearls!

    Joli dives deep and finds 1d3 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1 pearl.

    Sorry for slowness on my end! Too much work and too much gaming this week. I can start you toward the tower tonight, since I think everyone is leveled up now.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

    Joli excitedly shares his find with Purpose. "The Rillsong has answered my prayers, that I might pray to her more often."

    Hopefully a pearl of power sometime soon. Level One.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

    Purpose Creche's thin fingers enfold the pearl. "I think I know what to do. But it seems to me that objects must know how to perform their function. I do not know how you pray to the Rillsong. So it will hard for me to teach the pearl its function."

    He cocks his head. "Would you teach me?"


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

    Joli nods as he squats before Purpose in the rooftop retreat. "As you work on the roof at night, have you really listened? The surf. The crickets up toward the forest. Bat wings fluttering as they leave their cave in search of moths or berries. They're all part of her song. My prayers are just notes in the song. Imperfect tunes that add to the chorus."[b]

    He smiles and pats his tricorn. [b]"Iggi helps me learn some stanzas sometimes as I sleep. Like the song to cool down predators. I wish I'd known that one when the charau-ka attacked..."

    He hops up on the chimney and enthuses, "Care to practice some harmonies with me? Have no fear. Jalaijatali appreciates every effort. I mean, she answers my warbles!"


    N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

    "I can try."

    Purpose Creche picks his way up to the chimney, warm brick against cool wooden limbs, lap harp under one arm. He sits cross legged and lays the instrument across his knees.

    He thinks quietly. "I'm not part of the natural order. Not in the same way as crickets and waves. So I will listen and do my best to harmonize." He buzzes. "I suppose that's a metaphor."


    Male Grippli Shaman 3 / Unc. Rogue 1 | HP 30/30 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | CMB +0, CMD 14 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM: +13 | Ranged: Underwater crossbow +6 1d6, Melee: Rapier +6 1d4-1 or wave strike

    Joli smiles and cheers. "Jalaijatali is the song in all things. The wind in the sails brings her delight. Your efforts also have merit. All the more for being unpracticed. Unsure."


    N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

    "Merit for deity. No merit for composer."

    Purpose Creche's imperfect performance accompanies Joli and the natural world, much like flatulence often accompanies a good meal.


    N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

    The next day, Purpose Creche ponders Joli's prayers. He catalogues the sensory experience of his day: sawblade on wood, gentle creak of limbs, snatches of conversation, laughter, leather, and yes, surf.

    At day's end, he sits down beneath his work bench with Joli's pearl, a handful of Chelish coin, and a bundle of twine. Twine and coins go in one hand, pearl in the other. Over the subsequent hours he reviews his ordered archive of his purported portion of Jalaijatali's song. As he does the coins and twine meld together, flatenning and broadening, snaking across the space between Purpose Creche's arms to wind around the pearl like a curled strand of kelp.
    He places the nearly-completed object on his harp. He plucks a few notes, and the golden ribbon shimmers with new verdigris.

    He presents it to Joli Toli in the morning; it smells like iron and sea.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Ruins of Azlant || SoDD: Table 1 || SoDD: Table 2 || Comm

    You're all enjoying a quiet evening before the morning you plan to depart, when frantic yelling interrupts the peaceful quiet.

    "Fish people! Fish people!"

    Upon seeing Silt, they specify. "Mean fish people! Trying to kill us! Help!"

    Racing to the shore, not far from Silt's attempts at kelp farming, you indeed spot three green-skinned humanoids with faces somewhere between fish and frog. The three creatures quickly move on you, waving tridents aggressively, but the party, prepared for trouble, moves even faster.

    DC 12 Knowledge (nature):
    These are skum, aquatic monstrous humanoids.

    Aquan:
    "These look even better than the last group!""Yes, won't the leader be pleased when we bring them back!"

    Initiative:

    Purpose Creche: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
    Cedar Cruise: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
    Toby Hawthorn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
    Sil’tchaak: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
    Prince Joli Toli: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
    red skum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
    yellow skum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
    blue skum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

    Cedar
    Silt
    Purpose
    Joli

    Blue fish person
    Toby
    Yellow fish person
    Red fish person


    N wyrwood occultist 4 | HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 |F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +4 | Spd 30ft | P: +10 SM +6 | 10 Mental Focus: D5/5, E2/2, T3/3; Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | +1 longsword +6 (1d6+2), +1 longbow +9 (1d6+2 x3, 110ft.) | Active Conditions: – |

    Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 Boo!

    Purpose Creche runs along the beach, small feet sinking and sliding in the sand. He unslings his longbow as he moves, nocks an arrow and points it towards the lead (yellow) fish person, but does not fire.

    "These are unfamiliar. What are they saying, Silt? Tell them we will defend ourselves."

    Move and draw, then readying an action to shoot at yellow if any of the fish folks get aggressive with us. (I know folks yelled they're mean, but I'm trying to make sure!)

    Readied attack vs. yellow:

    Longbow: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22, penalties possible once folks move, for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 magic and piercing damage.

    1,501 to 1,550 of 2,487 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Kate's Ruins of Azlant All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.