Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


GM Idyll's Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master GM Idyll

Part 1 - Souls For Smuggler's Shiv


251 to 300 of 345 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

GM, Jin will take a closer look at the Captain's quarters to see if there is anything of worth. Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Jindariel (and anyone else with him):

The captain’s cabin is a wreck—a jagged hole in the side has allowed most of the room’s contents to spill out into the surf and wash away. Yet even a cursory search reveals some useful supplies, most of which are found in an overturned desk (fortunately, the desk was too large to fit through the hole in the wall).

One upper drawer contains several keys, while another drawer contains several sea charts and maps, along with the captain’s log. A third, lower desk drawer, is locked.

In the corner, you see a backpack - it appears to be made out of Sharkskin and quite full.

Finally, a large footlocker leaning against the desk is marked with crude writing, reading Jask Derindi. This footlocker is also locked.

Brehna:

You dive down below the water line of the ship. You find several large boxes and crates which were carrying unknown cargo aboard the Jenivere. Most are far too large for you to carry on your own. And their contents are completely unknown to you - it could be anything from food, to clothing or rum.


Female Half-Elf Cleric of Besmara L1

"Somebody shivved the first mate before the scorpions got him", muses Pyrra. "Odd"

If nobody else wants them, Pyrra will take his studded leather and short sword before giving him the last rites


"Hey people, found some stuff, including a sharkskin backpack." Jin puts away, rather obviously, the sea charts and maps and the captain's log in his leather satchel to keep them dry. He then tries the keys on the locked third drawer and the footlocker. If they work, great. If not, he waits for Brehna to come up from her dive and then calls to her loudly, "Brehna, we got some locked drawers over here. Need your skills." Meanwhile, he yells to the rest of the group, "Anyone seen some scroll tubes?"


F Sylph Ninja 7

Brehna will come to the surface and retrieve the ropes.
To Jin "the sharkskin pack has my gear in it. Set it to the side for the moment. I found some big crates that I can get alone. I'm going to secure them to a rock so they don't drift out to sea or otherwise get lost." she then takes a short, but functional crowbar out of her pack. She hands it to Jin. "that should do a number on the locks. Just don't break whatever may be inside. Failing that I'll be back in a minute. "

Brehna goes back in the surf with the ropes and ties the large crates to one of the rocks near shore before heading back up to assist with the locks.


Jin looks quizzically at the crowbar but takes it in order to not hurt Brehna's feelings, though he holds it by one end as if he were holding a diseased pig by the tail. When Brehna returns, she sees the crowbar neatly set on top of the desk and Jin waiting for her to pick the lock.


F Sylph Ninja 7

When she returns, still soaking wet, she eyes the crowbar, then Jin. She laughs slightly and gets a small flat-packet from her bag. Flipping it open reveals a number of odd instruments. She withdraws a couple and goes after the indicated drawer locks.

How many were there?
Dis dev 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Dis dev 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Dis dev 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Dis dev 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

She'll keep at it until they're all open. If she breaks one then she'll resort to the crowbar.


I believe two - third drawer and footlocker. If you checks are not successful, we can spare 4 minutes, and you can take 20 on both.


F Sylph Ninja 7

Screw the rolls. Brehna takes 20 for a total of 28.


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

"Seeing as how Brehna and Jindariel are checking the Captain's quarters, Who want to go with me and check the galley for food supplies."


Female Half-Elf Cleric of Besmara L1

Pyyra volunteers. "I'll come"


Male Half-elf Daredevil Bard 1

Feeling strange tingling at the back of his neck, Timor watches as his companions are checking the ship. When Anika asks for "volunteers" to help her check for food, he quickly follows Pyrra lead and adds:"I'll go as well" before scampering down to the galley.


F Sylph Ninja 7

Has anyone taken any of the shelter materials out of the supply room?


Unsurprisingly, Jindariel finds the keys open both the lower drawer and the footlocker. It also appears that there is a key that would fit Jask's manacles, as well.

The lower drawer contains a bottle of fine brandy, a darkwood model of the Jenivere in a glass bottle, and a small coffer containing 350 gp. Also in this lower drawer is a long leather satchel that holds a dozen labelled potions for emergency use: four potions of cure light wounds, a potion of cure moderate wounds, four potions of lesser restoration, a potion of remove disease, a potion of water breathing, and a potion of water walking.

Please assign who will be carrying these potions by the end of the day.

The footlocker appears to contain Jask's gear - including a masterwork dagger, a suit of leather armor, two potions, a holy symbol of a two-faced deity, and a spell component pouch.

Vita, Pyrra and Timor enter the galley and head for the larder. Although the majority of the Jenivere’s food stores were kept in the sunken cargo below, enough preserved rations are stored here to supply a single person with food for 24 days. As you move further into the larder, Vita steps on a hand - the hand of Rambar, the chef.

Pyrra:

Even without a formal investigation, you're able to determine that the cook was bitten by a snake of some sort - the bite marks are serpentine in origin, and a particularly large serpent creature it seems. The cook was dragged into here before being killed by something or someone stronger than him. And he was not a small fellow. The evidence suggests that the cook was killed before the meal was served last night- but your last memories are of him serving the meal.

Brehna, what's your plan for the cargo in the water? And everyone, what's the plan for getting the cargo off the ship?


F Sylph Ninja 7

The plan was to see if I could get everyones help to pull the crates out via the attached ropes. Short of that I'm going underwater with my crowbar to open the crates that way.


Cargo Rescue Checks:

Cargo 1: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Cargo 2: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Cargo 3: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Cargo 4: 1d20 ⇒ 14

The effort to bring up the sunken cargo is ultimately a waste of time - the four crates that were accessible had little of value. The first looked promising, having "GRAIN" in large letters stamped on the outside. Unfortunately, when opened, it was discovered that water had filled the crate, ruining the grain.

The second fell apart as it was being lifted out.

The third was identical to the first.

And the fourth was well-protected from the water, but contained only clothing. You can take the clothing back with you, if desired.

You have spent 90 minutes on the ship exploring and extracting the items from the sea bed. Now, you need to develop a plan to get all of the desired cargo off of the ship. You have about 30 minutes left before the tide is going to make it difficult to cross the rocks. What's the plan?


Female Half-Elf Cleric of Besmara L1

I'll take the restoration potions and the potion of remove disease, unless anyone else would rather distribute things differently. Re: the cargo, I suggest trying to set up some sort of zip-line (?) so we can send items down to the shore by rope - I assume we could rig this up using some of the rigging on board (Profession (Sailor)) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 ?

As she examines the corpse of the cook, Pyrra begins to look seriously alarmed. "Uh... Besmara's sacred cleat! He was killed by... some sort of snake, but I didn't see anything that big on board, and you'd have thought we'd have noticed - I mean, it'd have to have been *huge*"

She begins to sweat, and bites her lip hard, causing a trickle of blood to run down her chin

"It looks like he was killed *before* the meal as well"

Getting a hold of herself, she breathes out, massaging her neck as she does so.

"That'll explain the improvement in Rambar's culinary skills, anyway. By Her salty bosom, what a way to go..."

Again, unless someone else would rather, I'll take Jask's gear as well. Also, is there any booze on board?


Jin grabs the model, the brandy, and the coffer and puts them in his satchel. Then he will lift as much food as his 10 Strength allows him and take 10 to climb up Timor's rope. When he reaches the cliffs, he will look for a safe place for to leave the food for it not to be blown into the sea, if there is one. If not, he will leave it on the beach, return, climb down and repeat until the tide changes.


F Sylph Ninja 7

I'll retrieve the ropes and bring the soggy clothing up to the surface and when time permits hang it to dry.

I assume we got the materials to make shelter out first, right?

If so Brehna will start setting something up and direct the others where to help.


Male Half-elf Daredevil Bard 1

Timor watches as Jin climbs upin the rope, and decides it is too slow. Before Jindariel starts to decend again, Timor tries to stop him.

"Jin, mon amie, it seems that we are too slow that way. Why do not we simply tie some net down here, fill it with supplies and pull it up? Then repeat the process several times, until everything is up. I'll help with pulling up there. What say you?"

Even without waiting an answer from the elf, Timor climbs up the cliff, seamingly not minding the danger. As he climbs, he adds cheerfully:

"Milady Pyrra, despite all your beauty and graciousnes, it would seem you are acquainted with life of a seaman, I guess that tieing and securing stuff with some knots at the bottom of this rope, would not be an issue for you?"


Female Half-Elf Cleric of Besmara L1

"Happy to help"

Pyrra will do as Timor suggests


Jin does what he can to follow Timor's suggestions, though he doubts he can pull much up with his normal Strength. If he finds he is struggling, he climbs down and recommends that he and Timor switch places.


Pyrra, there was a bottle of fine brandy in the captain's quarters.

With the help of the four other castaways (Jask's manacles preclude him from helping), you manage to get all of the cargo off the ship that you want to take. As you finish the job, the tide begins to creep over the rocks. The tide has come back in.

The time is approximately 9:00 a.m.

Jask looks eagerly at the group as soon as everything has been removed from the ship. He hasn't noticed the footlocker or the items from inside it. "Have...have you found any keys on board?" he asks, hopefully.

The sun is already burning hot - it's going to be a scorching day. Any kind of physical effort - such as setting up a camp - will be incredibly difficult in the heat of the day.


F Sylph Ninja 7

Not sure who has the manacle key or not, but if no one moves to open his manacles Brehna will pick the lock.

Looking at the man
"During the day you will be unlocked, but carefully watched, so you can help with the tasks of survival. At night you'll be chained back up for safety reasons. Your behavior from this point on will determine how you are treated. I don't have time to keep you incarcerated. If you become dangerous or disruptive you'll be taking a long walk." Brehna points towards the endless ocean with her dagger. "Do we understand each other?"


Jin has the keys and unlocks Jask's manacles once the party and castaways are reunited. "Brehna, can you find us a place in the shade?"


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

"I think I found a good spot to keep cool."


F Sylph Ninja 7
Valeria Ingrid Titania Abia wrote:

[dice=survival]1d20+10

"I think I found a good spot to keep cool."

Brehna motions where Valeria indicates.


Male Half-elf Daredevil Bard 1

Following instructions from Anika/Vita, Timor does his best to be useful. He does not know much on matters of outdoors, but he has no issues in following directions from anyone (in this case, it was clearly Anika) who seems like she/he knows what he is doing. So he tries to help in setting up camp, using both his manual skills, and his minor magics to do the trick. At the same time, he feels almost that it is his "duty" to keep spirits up, despite the situation,so he keeps telling assorted jokes, anegdotes and especially stories with happy endings despite odds.

Interesting, from what Lady Pyrra shared with us, it seems that people aboard were not killed by scorpions, but by something, no, someone else. Hmmmm, we should discuss that, but later, when the camp is setup. We should not waste our energies now...

While working, Timor will try to manouver in such a way so that he is relativelly close to Jask.While working next to him, he will try and initiate the conversation:"So, mon amie, have you heard that today only, I have almost single handedly, of course, with a small help from my friends here, killed another of those monstrous scorpions?! Two already, and the day barely started, eh? Let me tell you in details, how I did it..."

Timor tries to Fascinate Jask - Will save DC 13


Jin helps moving supplies as best he can until he can go no more. Though not used to getting his hands dirty, he was also not used to being stranded on an island, so he could not complain. Drenched in sweat, he takes a dip in the ocean and afterwards, he casts Prestidigitation on himself. He then finds a cool spot in the shade, opens his satchel and starts reading the Captain's log to see if it can provide a clue as to what happened. Next, he studies the nautical charts and tries to find the Shiv on them. While doing so, he looks up at Anika, "We many have the food problem under control, but what are we going to do about getting some fresh water? Other than this bottled brandy I found, there's nothing else to drink."


Female Half-Elf Cleric of Besmara L1

"Water? I can help with that, or Besmara can, anyway. Has anyone got a gourd or a waterskin, or some empty pots or bottles? If not, we'll have to use our hats..."

If we do have any kind of container, Pyrra will cast Create Water into it.


Jask calmly nods as Brehna makes her threats and Jindariel unlocks his manacles. He rubs his wrists, clearly glad to be free.

"I know this may be more than I can ask for, but did you, perhaps, find any of my belongings on board?" he asks, hopefully.

Timor, I'll get to your fascinate, depending upon the response to the above.


I'm assuming you're all resting in the shade of the trees right now, correct?

Jindariel:

As you flips through to the later pages, the log reveals that Kovack seemed to be suffering from some sort of madness that grew over the course of the ship’s final voyage. She notes that earlier entries from previous voyages are precise in recording progress and events along the way, as are entries from the first two-thirds of this last trip. Yet as Allia reads further, the more recent the entries get, the less common they become. In some cases, several days are missing entries. What entries do appear are strangely short, focusing more and more on one of the passengers — the Varisian scholar Ieana, with whom the captain seemed to have become obsessed. Several entries are nothing more than poorly written love poems to Ieana, while others bemoan Captain Kovack’s inability to please her or catch her attention. Near the end, the entries begin to take on a more ominous tone with the captain starting to complain that other members of the crew are eyeing “his Ieana.” In particular, he suspects his first mate is in love with her, and writes several times about how he wishes Alton would just “have an accident.”

The final entry is perhaps the most disturbing, for in it the captain writes of how he’s changed course for Smuggler’s Shiv at Ieana’s request. He hopes that the two of them can make a home on the remote island, but also notes that the crew are growing increasingly agitated at the ship’s new course. The captain muses that “something may need to be done about the crew” if their suspicions get any worse.

Looking through the maps, you actually find a map of Smuggler's Shiv (also available in the Campaign Info Tab).

We'll use this once you, presumably, begin exploring the island. We can discuss that later.

You note the island's strange shape and features - the dense jungle of the northern portion of the island, the chain of smaller islands to the west and what appear to be a series of trails further south. By looking to the sky and the unique formation of the beach where they woke up, you are able to identify approximately where they are on the island. Your Location

The next series of maps are the navigation charts used by the captain and his navigator. They highlight the both typical journey the Jenivere would take and its last heading, which landed them the on the Shiv. There is a definite distinction between the previous journeys and this last one - though the variances don't appear until the ship arrives in Desperation Bay.

The final series of maps are of the generic trade routes. These last bit prove the most valuable - they show that the southwestern shores of the island are in direct view of the Sargavan shipping lanes.


When Jindariel mentions brandy, Aerys snaps out of her quiet depression. "Brandy? You have brandy?! Where? Please...may I...have it?"


Jin looks up from his reading. "Looks like the Captain went mad, paranoid, and obsessive on us! He was crazy in love with Ieana and thought that First Mate Devers should be killed in an "accident". It seems it was Ieana's idea to come to Smuggler's Shiv and it was the Captain's idea to drug us to get rid of the crew and keep Ieana to himself. So we have part of the why and how we're here on this isle." Jin then lays out the maps and shows the party/castaways where we are.


F Sylph Ninja 7
GMI Jask Derinidi wrote:

Jask calmly nods as Brehna makes her threats and Jindariel unlocks his manacles. He rubs his wrists, clearly glad to be free.

"I know this may be more than I can ask for, but did you, perhaps, find any of my belongings on board?" he asks, hopefully.

Timor, I'll get to your fascinate, depending upon the response to the above.

"Nothing labeled. Can you be more specific as to what you're looking for? Also what skills do you posess?"


Jin holds the bottle of brandy and studies the woman who asked for it.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17..Does Aerys' desire for the brandy arise from thirst or sentimental value for the bottle?


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

she checks and organises the savaged goods

Is there anymore stuff in the ship?


Female Half-Elf Cleric of Besmara L1
Jindariel wrote:

Jin holds the bottle of brandy and studies the woman who asked for it.

Sense Motive: 1d20+2..Does Aerys' desire for the brandy arise from thirst or sentimental value for the bottle?

Heal 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16 - can I tell anything about Aerys and any ailments (mental or physical) she might suffer from?


Jask describes a simple suit of armor and a shortsword, but he is clearly most interested in retrieving a small holy symbol of Nethys. When asked about his skills, he says simply, "I have no abilities without my gear."

There is no more cargo worth getting from the ship.

Jindariel & Pyrra:

You both can tell by observation and by memory from the Jenivere that Aerys likes to drink. A lot. There is no sentimentality - she is, simply, an alcoholic.


LOL! Honest and direct, I like it, GM!


F Sylph Ninja 7
GM Idyll wrote:

Jask describes a simple suit of armor and a shortsword, but he is clearly most interested in retrieving a small holy symbol of Nethys. When asked about his skills, he says simply, "I have no abilities without my gear."

There is no more cargo worth getting from the ship.

** spoiler omitted **

"For the time being I'm hesitant to arm you. Perhaps if you earn my trust. Also, Nethys? That's the god of magic, right? Are you a cleric?" Brehna asks genuinely curious


Jask nods solemnly. "I have dedicated my life - wasted as it may be - to following The All-Seeing Eye."


F Sylph Ninja 7
GM Idyll wrote:
Jask nods solemnly. "I have dedicated my life - wasted as it may be - to following The All-Seeing Eye."

"And you have magic?"

if he says yes
"What can your spells do, specifically?"

Not really expecting him to tell the full truth, Brehna is more curious how he will answer. If he was able to be so captured it's doubtful his magic is very powerful.


The following items were taken from the ship:

Captain's Quarters:
several sea charts and maps - Jindariel
the captain’s log - Jindariel
a bottle of fine brandy (50gp) – ???
a darkwood model of the Jenivere in a glass bottle - ???
a small coffer containing 350 gp - ???
long leather satchel - ???
four potions of cure light wounds - Pyrra
potion of cure moderate wounds - Pyrra
four potions of lesser restoration - Pyrra
potion of remove disease - Pyrra
potion of water breathing - Pyrra
potion of water walking - Pyrra

Large footlocker marked with crude writing, reading Jask Derindi: a masterwork dagger, a suit of leather armor, two potions, a holy symbol of a two-faced deity, a note, and a spell component pouch.

Supply Room:
masterwork studded leather armor - Pyrra
masterwork short sword - Pyrra
block and tackle - ???
3 large canvas sheets - Group
2 fishing nets - Group
1 grappling hook - ???
2 bullseye lanterns - ???
12 flasks of lantern oil - ???
150 feet of hemp rope - ???
5 shovels - Group

Larder:
24 rations - Group

Underwater:
Women's clothing

Please divide these up as necessary.

Please (someone or someones) roll a survival check to see how long it will take to setup the camp.


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

what type of women's clothing?

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


F Sylph Ninja 7

Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Brehna will ask Pyrra for one of the potions of cure light wounds. Brehna otherwise has everything she needs in her pouch. She'd like a share of the gold, but her practical side knows it will be of very little use while shipwrecked.

She thinks to herself
"If only I were truly one with the sea (aka could breathe water). Then I could just swim off and get help. "


The clothing is for a larger, fatter woman. It is incredibly ugly, but brightly colored.


Jin has the darkwood model as well as the coffer. He tosses Aerys the bottle of brandy and stares into the sea. "If there were ever a time to drink or start drinking, now would be the time. I hope this makes us friends now and that you will allow me a drink. So, tell me about yourself?"


Male Half-elf Daredevil Bard 1

Don't know if something came out of the attempt to fascinate Jask (though DC 13 is ridiculously low, so he could have passed it easily), but Timor would like to both try to establish why the guy was incarcerated (Diplomacy), as well as whether he might be lying (Untrained Sense Motive). If there was anu chance for Fascinate to work, than it might have helped my current rolls, giving Jask -4 to skill checks

Listening intently to exchange between Brehna and Jask, Timor quips in, trying to give a calmer "overtone" to the entire discussion: "My dear blue skinned Lady, it would seem that you are judging our friend Jask here too harsh. After all, whatever he did previously, now he is in this probleme with all of us, and I believe that he is smart enough to understand that we must help each other, if we are to get out of this alive, oui? Now, Jask, would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to what you did to deserve such punishment?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Half-elf Daredevil Bard 1

"Mylady Pyrra, why are you dangling so many bottles over that beautiful waist of your? Come, let me help you with some"

If you'd be willing to give water-walking or a water-breathing potion to Timor, I would appreciate it ;-)

Btw. Timor already have a grappling hook and a rope, so he does not need those. However, we could share the money, even though there's nowhere to spend it

251 to 300 of 345 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Idyll's Serpent's Skull Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.