Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Henry Fortuna's First Steps (Sessions 1-3) [Group 2] (Inactive)

Game Master Signore di Fortuna

More fresh-faced adventurers seeking their destiny for the Pathfinder Society.


101 to 150 of 524 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

Aesantiel watches intently - both observing Simon, and watching the reaction of Bonto.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


"You want to know about Lady Baltwin? She's a good sort. We've had tea and played cards on her sittin' porch countless times. Always good company she is. She often cheats though. I've never had any trouble outta her or the kids she takes care of. Though some strange fellows come about an' whisper in her ear and palm her small bags. Money, I suppose. Otherwise a fine lady, indeed," Bonto adds quickly.

Shadow Lodge

Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

"Any idea who these strange fellows are, or why they would be passing her money?"
Simon asks Bonto.

Osirion

Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    As we learn more and more, things are not looking well for Lady Baltwin’s character.


    Bonto looks at Simon with hardened eyes. "No, I don't know them nor do I know why she's taking money from them. She is a good woman, but..." Bonto hesitates for a moment. "All I can tell you is that they are shady characters and I really don't know what kind of business she's mixed up in."

    Bonto gazes across the street to Baltwin's residence. He is clearly discomforted. He turns back to the group.

    "You'd best get along with your business, whatever it may be."

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    "Thank you for your time Bonto."
    Simon makes his way back out to the street to join the rest of the group. When everyone is gathered together, he states.

    "Everyone I have spoken with states Gilga is a good woman. However, all have also noticed that she has some shady thing going on as well. She apparently has some sort of alcohol problem, sends this kids away whenever she has certain company, and has been taking money from some shady types. I wanted to all to be on the up-and-up on this before we knock on the door. I don't think anything bad is going to happen, but its always good to be in the know before you walk into something.

    He then asks.
    "Any comments or opinions before we speak with Gilga?"

    Osirion

    Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    While you all head inside, I would like to hang back. Spend some time with the children.

    Silver Crusade

    Fighter 1 - HP 13/13 (anything Dex related lowered by 1 modifier point)

    Elross thinks to himself about what Simon has collected. When Cedrick mentions spending time with the children, Elross again remembers his brothers. "Think I'll go with you this time Simon," he states coldly. I don't want to be emotionally unstable should something happen, he neglets to add. Spreading a smirk across his face, he playfully nudges Simon. "Don't want my weapons to scare the little ones, right?"

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    "You catch on fast kid."
    Simon says cheerfully as he claps Elross on the shoulder.

    "How about the rest of you?"

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    "Perhaps we should ask Gilga. There may be a straightforward explanation that she has not made clear to those around her. She may simply be private." Aesantiel waits for everyone to make their intentions clear, then turns to walk towards Lady Baltwin's residence.

    Silver Crusade

    Fighter 1 - HP 13/13 (anything Dex related lowered by 1 modifier point)

    "You never know, she might be the one who actually needs our help," Elross realizes.


    I'm going on record saying that I really dislike this encounter because the chances of failure far exceed those for success. But I just want to state a few things before you proceed:

    • Whatever information you have gathered is hearsay, you'll need proof.
    • You have no authority in your investigation, so please don't use that line against Baltwin.

    Simon, your assessment is spot on except for one thing which I may have not made clear: The children are not sent away for certain company; they are sent away everyday in the mornings and afternoons.

    You may proceed :)

    Osirion

    Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    As the group approaches the door, Cedrick breaks off and joins some of the children in whatever game they are currently playing.


    You see a group of three human children shooting marbles. As soon as you approach, they drop their marbles and scurry behind the corner of the house. One of them stares at you with a mixture of fear and wonder. He swallows hard, but makes no other movement.

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    Simon gives a reassuring smile to the children as he approaches the door.
    "Well, time to figure out exactly what is going on here."
    He then raises his hand and knocks on the door.


    A short moment later, a old hag of a woman appears at the door. Her appearance is nothing short of frightening and she reeks of alcohol. She looks at your group disdainfully, then returns her attention to Simon. "What can I do for you?"

    Heal checks, if you choose to do so.

    GM Stuff:
    1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

    Osirion

    Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    Cedrick sits down, crosses his legs, and starts to shoot marbles with whatever the children left, or rocks if need be. After a few minutes, he motions the other children to join him.

    It would be wise to carry marbles with me from now on…

    Silver Crusade

    Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord)/1

    Krygmar stares at the hag his grip tightening in his weapon as the stench of alcohol wafts over him. He looks back at the children momentarily Can this woman really be trusted with their lives in her state.

    He returns his attention to the hag

    Heal Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
    Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    Heal 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

    Silver Crusade

    Fighter 1 - HP 13/13 (anything Dex related lowered by 1 modifier point)

    The smell of alcohol causes Elross to snear and turn his head away. Ugh, that brings back memories, he says taking a quick glance around the street. He then turns his attention back to the door, looking behind Gilga for anything unusual.

    Perception Check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
    Heal 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    Aesantiel observes her closely, 'can she be ill? is she trying to kill herself, or merely allowing the process to proceed?'
    Heal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


    Simon:
    There are broken blood vessels in her eyes and nose, her hands are shaky, her gaze is glassy and she has a fine sheen of sweat on her. You can conclusively prove that she is a lifelong alcoholic.

    Baltwin sees Cedrick trying to befriend the children. "Get away from those kids, you oaf! For all I know, you could be trying to kidnap and eat them!"

    The child staring at Cedrick quickly disappears around the other side of the house at the sound of her voice.

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    Aesantiel say very mildly, but in a very factual way that doesn't invite comment or contradiction, "That was extremely rude. It was a bad example for the children under your care. It could be taken as offensive, or even intentionally insulting." Aesantiel does not move, and her expression does not convey any intention to continue. She has simply stated a fact that needed stating.

    Osirion

    Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    Cedrik spends a moment making sure he won’t immediately bite this old hag’s head off before standing, brushing himself off, and calmly rejoining the group.


    Baltwin decides to redirect her ire towards the elf. "Oh, like you know much better, you tree-dweller? Your kind just thinks we humans are beneath you. I have raised my brothers and sisters, my own children and these poor orphans. I think I know what I'm doing. The day I take child-rearing advice from a pointy-eared know-it-all is the day that I let a filthy half-orc babysit."

    She smirks cruelly while gesturing vaguely towards Cedrick.

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    Aesantiel bends forward and takes a long, lingering sniff. "Whiskey. Oldlaw. My advice is that for the price of a bottle of Oldlaw, I would instead feed 5 orphans for a month. Is that poor advice, or do you owe good Master Cedrick an apology and an invitation to babysit?" Aesantiel's tone is still conversational and reasonable. It would only be with a longer acquaintance with Aesantiel that the listener would be aware of the underlying singing, as of unsheathed steel.


    Baltwin points a shaking finger at Aesantiel. "I make sure the orphans are cared for, that's all I am called to do. So are you here to dispense advice or have you come for something more worth my time?"

    Silver Crusade

    Fighter 1 - HP 13/13 (anything Dex related lowered by 1 modifier point)

    Elross shifts uncomfortably behind Aesantiel. I don't think even a proper introduction could help this situation, he thought to himself. Nudging Simon he states, "We've brought medicine for the children."


    "Oh..." Baltwin says, after a slight pause. "Bring it inside then. And wipe your feet!"

    She turns and enters the house.

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    Simon follows with the medicine.
    "Look Miss Baltwin, I believe we got off on the wrong foot here. My name is Simon and we are here from the church of Sarenrae to deliver medicine for these children. My companions and I are a bit concerned though. You see, on the way here, we have heard some rather disconcerting things. We have only heard one side of the story, would you mind sharing yours with us?

    Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


    "Ah, I see. Well, come inside and I'll make some tea. We'll have a nice chat then," Baltwin says in a sweeter tone.

    She escorts you to some old, but functional couches and motions for you all to sit. She eyes Cedrick and Aesantiel with some trepidation, but says nothing. She goes into the kitchen for a few moments and arrives with some tea in fine porcelain cups. She is a dignified hostess and serves you all quickly and well. She finally settles herself into a worn sitting chair. She takes a bottle from a small cart sitting next to her seat. She pours a healthy dose into her tea before offering any to your group.

    Silver Crusade

    Fighter 1 - HP 13/13 (anything Dex related lowered by 1 modifier point)

    Rather than sit at the couch, Elross paces the room looking at pictures, glancing out the windows, or simply watching the old woman. The quick change in mood has him confused, guess I was wrong about the introduction. Picking up his cup, declining what he assumes to be whiskey, he takes a deep whiff of the tea. If only she had some biscuits and jam to go with this, he thought while his stomach agreed.

    Silver Crusade

    Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord)/1

    Krygmar stares into the tea his suspicions aroused at how quickly the conversation had turned polite. Either she is a good person and cares for the children, or she is trying to hide something. He takes a quick sip "Lovely tea Miss Baltwin." He tries to give his best smile.

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    Simon graciously accepts the tea and places it on the table next to him.

    "Now to get to the heart of this matter. My employer requested that I drop this medicine off for the children. She also required me to look into a few rumors that have been going around about this orphanage. First off, I want to say that I am not here to incriminate anyone. I am here to ensure the brightest future possible for all the young ones that are here."

    "I have heard from many people that you turn the children out once in the morning and once in the evening in order to do dealings with some less than upstanding people. I have also been informed that you buy and consume large amounts of expensive..."

    He points to the bottle she just poured from.

    "...alcohol and are too inebriated to be caring for these children properly. Now, I will admit that I do not know exactly what you are going through. You may have your reasons, whether they be health problems, money problems, or other issues that need to be resolved by these less than scrupulous means. That is fine, and I do not condemn you for having to do those things. All I ask is that if these things are dangerous, or could possibly hurt the innocents that you currently surround yourself with, that you take a step back and let someone else come in until you get these problems resolved. Remember, you are dealing with the future here, everyone future, and we don't want to ruin that."

    Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    Aesantiel sits quietly at one end of the couch, watching intently. Her expression is very neutral and composed.


    Baltwin gets an incredulous look on her face. "Ha! Seems most days you need it if you want to make through the day in this house. These children are killing me."

    She composes herself quickly and lowers her tone. "I suppose you're right. I have been a drinker for quite a long time, that's my only fault. I want to do these children right. I offer up myself for guidance and recovery. You can tell the Silver Crusade that I'll be living clean from now on."

    Baltwin's Skill Check:
    1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

    Group's Sense Motive:
    Aesantiel:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
    Simon:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
    Krygmar:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
    Elross:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
    Cedrick:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

    Simon and Krygmar:
    Baltwin is clearly feeding you a line and telling you what you want to hear. Though she honest about her drinking, she is clearly trying to hide something else from you.

    Osirion

    Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    A wise person graciously accepts correction. Such an attitude is commendable. However, a long time devoted to the bottle will not change overnight. You should seek help and council as you work through this transition.

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    Simon nods at Cedrick's statement.
    "There is still something else behind all this though. For me to leave here feeling right I need to hear all of it. Please Miss Baltwin, we are trying to help. Please, tell us everything so we can."
    Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


    Simon:
    Diplomacy will do nothing from this point. Whatever she is hiding is something she doesn't want found out and will not disclose it no matter what. Basically, she's "pleading the 5th".

    Gilga assumes as forlorn a look as she can manage. "But, good sirs," she says, deliberately ignoring everyone but Simon. "Drinking is my only vice. There is nothing else going on here, I can assure you."

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    "Simon, I think perhaps Ms. Baltwin and I should have a private conversation, woman to woman. Perhaps some of the rest of you should interview the children, and perhaps others review the children's accommodations. Yes, I think Ms. Baltwin and I can productively engage each other privately for some little while here." Aesantiel's voice is still quiet, but she has added more steel to her tone. Although she's addressing Simon, her eyes are unwavering and locked onto Ms. Baltwin's, attempting to pin the woman in place, like an insect transfixed by a mounting needle.

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    Simon turns his head towards Aesantiel.
    "As you wish."

    He then looks back at Gilga as he stands up.
    "Could you please tell me where the children that need the medicine are?"

    Silver Crusade

    Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord)/1

    Krygmar growls and whispers to the group when Gilga is distracted with Aesantiel "She's hiding something but I don't have a clue what. Might be worth staking out the place, then cornering one of these mysterious strangers that have a habit of visiting."


    Gilga bristles. "I don't think you should meet with the children. Some of them have quite contagious sicknesses. This house may not look like much, but it is quite good enough for caring for these children."

    She pours another round of tea for everyone and urges the group to continue sitting.

    Osirion

    Character Stats:
  • 23 HP
  • AC 19 (T 13 : FF 16)
  • Fort +6: Ref +6: Will +2
  • Initiative +5
  • Tiefling Mindchemist 2 / Lore Warden 1

    Cedrick's face grows perplexed at Krygmar's comment. Hmm, I'm usually fairly perceptive at these kinds of things. She must be a fairly good at deception to catch me off guard.

    Silver Crusade

    Fighter 1 - HP 13/13 (anything Dex related lowered by 1 modifier point)

    Elross focuses on some people walking outside the window, and seems to have missed some parts of the conversation. It's a good thing Simon and Aesantiel are doing the talking, he thought to himself, I've obviously missed something. He neglects the second cup of tea and instead leans against the entrance to the room, waiting to see what the group does.

    Shadow Lodge

    Oracle 1 (HP 11/11)

    "Well I am a skilled healer. I have dealt with contagious sicknesses before. I believe I will be alright if you would please show me the way."

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    Note that if Frau Baltwin makes a move to stand up, Aesantiel will be standing awkwardly too close to her chair to allow her to rise - just as quickly as Aesantiel can manage.

    Silver Crusade

    Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord)/1

    Krygmar takes another drink of the tea. "Is there anything we can do to help you?"


    Baltwin glances irately at Simon, then at Krygmar. "Perhaps..." she concedes with a small hiss. "Very well, Sir Healer, I will take you to the children. Of course, I will accompany you."

    Anyone else tagging along?

    Grand Lodge

    female Elf (Taegrejee na'Maauteran) monk 1 - DECEASED

    Aesantiel stands from the sofa. She stands in front of Gilga's chair, closely enough that Gilga would have to crash into her to stand. "Direction will be sufficient. We still need to have that discussion, you and I."

    101 to 150 of 524 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Henry Fortuna's First Steps (Sessions 1-3) All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.